Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First again!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Got enough Boris stories?
  • Options
    19. Well, it's art, of a kind.

Boris has proven a lot of people wrong over the years, but I'm not sure he has enough left in him to pull of this latest gambit. Popularity wanes eventually, and he is not liked by many, not even counting his future hurdles in the Parliamentary party.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Tim_B said:

First again!

Proud of coming first, Mr B?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Got enough Boris stories?

The first draft had 15 Boris stories, this is the culled version.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Nearly 24 hours later, and I still feel things are no better for Salmond. It was just staggering how unprepared he was for the Darling Plan B currency line of questioning. What else did he think Darling would cross-examine him on? Clearly something else, and it showed. But short of the economy imploding, which isn't going to happen in a big way until October 2015 now, there simply isn't a wildcard to fuel the Yes vote over 50%. From the rubble of last night, its critical that Yes cobbles together 42/43% so the issue won't go on the back burner, but really I get the feeling its a damage limitation exercise now, not what Salmond would have hoped for 6 weeks out.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

First again!

More than you might expect. The city in which I reside is very small and not far from a city called Cumming.

They held a competition for a city slogan a year or so back.

Almost all the entries were a variation of 'close to Cumming' so they stopped the competition.

But yes, I always have tissues handy :-)
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all and so when do we start getting the "will Boris....." threads? Which constituency must be the first one. Boris v Farage would be the ultimate contest of super-egos but sadly wont happen.

My friends of the YES persuasion are somewhat nonplussed today. They simply did not see last night coming. There is no Plan B. If rUK (and in particular George Osborne) tells Scotland to get stuffed re a currency union, the SNP will have to take that blank sheet of paper called economic future policy and start scribbling quickly.

The worry is that somewhat ironically, because Eck was seen to be thrashed by the Eyebrows last night, the victim mentality might actually help the YES camp.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scotland withdrawing from Europe ?

Well football wise ...
  • Options
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2h

Just studying some new marginals polling due to be published overnight. Very different picture from other suveys
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

First again!

More than you might expect. The city in which I reside is very small and not far from a city called Cumming.

Almost all the entries were a variation of 'close to Cumming' so they stopped the competition.

Please, no slogans about having the tissues handy.

Btw if you'd like any training on the "First ..... again!" front you need only ask the master.
  • Options

Evening all and so when do we start getting the "will Boris....." threads? Which constituency must be the first one. Boris v Farage would be the ultimate contest of super-egos but sadly wont happen.

My friends of the YES persuasion are somewhat nonplussed today. They simply did not see last night coming. There is no Plan B. If rUK (and in particular George Osborne) tells Scotland to get stuffed re a currency union, the SNP will have to take that blank sheet of paper called economic future policy and start scribbling quickly.

The worry is that somewhat ironically, because Eck was seen to be thrashed by the Eyebrows last night, the victim mentality might actually help the YES camp.

As a US resident. the only coverage I have seen is about the currency. There is nothing more fundamental than the currency in your pocket. Salmond clearly had no policy at all about this.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

First again!

Btw if you'd like any training on the "First ..... again!" front you need only ask the master.
    Sorry for the delay in replying - I had to use an impressive number of tissues just now :-)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited August 2014

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

First again!

Stuck £100 quid on Phil Hammond as next Tory leader today.

If this goes wrong, I'm blaming you (even though I initially tipped it)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    The currency issue is perplexing. It's not a peripheral matter. Very odd that there isn't a more convincing line from the Yes campaign.

I'm as amused as I am irked by this 'it's Scotland's pound' approach. Yes, it is. Because you're in the UK. You don't get to demand to be backed by the British taxpayer via the Bank of England if you choose to leave.

The 'we won't take any debts' line would infuriate the non-Scots British, given it was Scottish chancellors and financial institutions who caused the debts in the first place. Happily, No seems to be winning, but if Yes does the break-up would be seriously acrimonious.
  • Options

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2h

Just studying some new marginals polling due to be published overnight. Very different picture from other suveys

LibDems winning everywhere Hurrah!!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

First again!

Sorry for the delay in replying - I had to use an impressive number of tissues just now :-)
    Too much information!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I think that's a sound bet.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

First again!

Too much information!
    But I feel so relaxed :-)
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I think that's a sound bet.

Still available at 16/1
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, with Ladbrokes?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, with Ladbrokes?

Yes
  • Options

The currency issue is perplexing. It's not a peripheral matter. Very odd that there isn't a more convincing line from the Yes campaign.

I'm as amused as I am irked by this 'it's Scotland's pound' approach. Yes, it is. Because you're in the UK. You don't get to demand to be backed by the British taxpayer via the Bank of England if you choose to leave.

The 'we won't take any debts' line would infuriate the non-Scots British, given it was Scottish chancellors and financial institutions who caused the debts in the first place. Happily, No seems to be winning, but if Yes does the break-up would be seriously acrimonious.

I have to admit I find it a curious stratagem as well. The only answer Salmond seemed to rely on was that the Unionist parties are bluffing and, of course, would react in a logical fashion after a Yes victory by giving in to all the demands of the Yes side (not how he would phrase it no doubt, but as he sees his arguments as naturally correct and logical, that is the implication), but though countless Whitehall mandarins would probably be working hard to be logical, it is not hard to envisage a swell of opinion politically and publicly against even giving the appearance of being more generous to the newly independent Scotland than is deserved. A desire to be fair will be there I have no doubt, Scotland will be a close friend and ally of rUK, but given the disagreements merely in the run up to the vote, why would rUK suddenly see the light and see Salmond's position as fair and reasonable when they currently do not, by and large.

Insisting that a future negotiation will definitely work in your favour seems tailor made to get the other sides' back up, and it's a hell of a risk to take to rely on the other side bluffing so hard. At the very least, it invites to consideration that the Yes side are bluffing as well.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

First again!

Stuck £100 quid on Phil Hammond as next Tory leader today.

If this goes wrong, I'm blaming you (even though I initially tipped it)
    Eh? I thought I was simply endorsing your own suggestion.
    Good bet though, even if he only declares as a candidate which seems certain the way he's ascending the greasy pole. At worst, you should confidently be able to trade out at profitably at less than Ladbrokes' 16/1 which iirc is several points higher than the competition.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited August 2014
    1. If Cameron lose's in 2015 he's out anyway. If Cameron wins in 2015 he's almost certainly going to retire in 2017 or 2018. So not sure Boris returning is much of a problem for him. George and Theresa are probably the biggest losers from The Return Of The Boris.

2. I bet we'll have lot's of shot's of Cameron, Boris and George all pretending to be friends.

3. We all love Boris now - Even Simon Heffer.

4. Boris is a political slut.

5. Boris and Farage winning ticket in 2020!

6. LOL @ UKIP.

7. Politicians lie - Shocker!

8. Tessa would be an interesting choice for Mayor.

9. To many tweets makes a...

10. Thank Allah for Team Blue.

11. There are plenty of sexist's across all parties. "Leftie Tim" was the most sexist party member I've ever encountered in my life,

12. No good "considering". Do it!

13. Dull, dull, dull.

14. We all LOL'ed at the buffoon Alex Salmond.

15. YES is in denial.

16. We all love Alistair Darlings eyebrows.

17. Are we supposed to feel guilty about discrimination 100 years ago?

18. Shame we can't get Israel to target some of their fire power at ISIS. What would Ed The Younger say though?

19. NIKE = Cool.

20. Wales?

21. "MEEESSSSAAAAAA LIKEA THIS...."

22. Did America go too far?
  • Options
    Following Darling's performance, I've stuck £4.04 on Ali Darling to be next Chancellor at 11/1

https://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_gmulti&ev_oc_id=221802985&lp_num=11&lp_den=1&AFF_ID=10066776
  • Options
    Note to TSE: The bits on your Night thread of 'today is the anniversary of...' are generally very interesting.
    Any chance you could change them to 'tomorrow is the anniversary of...'
    It makes for more interesting facts to throw in at work in a 'did you know...'etc
  • Options

Note to TSE: The bits on your Night thread of 'today is the anniversary of...' are generally very interesting.
    It makes for more interesting facts to throw in at work in a 'did you know...'etc

I generally try and do that, but nothing major happened tomorrow, apart from the Battle of Crannon
  • Options

Following Darling's performance, I've stuck £4.04 on Ali Darling to be next Chancellor at 11/1

https://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_gmulti&ev_oc_id=221802985&lp_num=11&lp_den=1&AFF_ID=10066776

I could have sworn Alistair has announced he is standing down at the next election?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited August 2014
  • Options

Come on TSE, I know he has new glasses and a new hairstyle and did well last night and even though his greatuncle was the Tory MP for his seat, on 19th September he will be announcing his retirement at the AGM to spend more time with his eyebrows.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I could have sworn Alistair has announced he is standing down at the next election?
    There have been rumours, but nothing official.

I think Malleus Salmondtorum will want to come back to frontline politics after September 19, and Ed has a problem with his toxic Balls.
  • Options
    why would the UK want an independent Scotland to use the pound? How does it benefit them?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Black, Indian, Chinese, gay, mixed race – all fought for a country at a time when it treated them as second-class citizens"

Minorities have always fought in the British armed forces and have not generally speaking been treated as second class in any of them.

The contribution of Indian Troops on the Western front in WWI is, however, a remarkable story and far less well-known than it should be, even here in darkest Sussex where we have two magnificent memorials to their contribution.

As a fine point of interest the idea that the Afghans have always been an implacable enemy of the UK is shown to be complete tosh once you start digging. I have in my collection a photo of a pathan, what we would now call pashtun, soldier being presented with the Victoria Cross by the King in the grounds of Brighton Pavilion. The contribution made by pathan soldiers as far back as 1857 and as late as 1945 was exemplary.

P.S. In order to cater for caste and religious needs of the soldiers the hospital set up in the Brighton Pavilion had seven separate kitchens. Treated as second class, I think not.
  • Options
    Sorry for AGM read GE :)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I generally try and do that, but nothing major happened tomorrow, apart from the Battle of Crannon
    The Roman emperor Majorian would probably disagree.
  • Options

Fair enough, I will have to stick to 'did you know...' when we play Absolute 80's on the radio in the office.

• Options
    7. I guess it's part of the game, he had to appear focused on the current job, but like the Blair-Brown feud denials, no-one every believed it, so it does beg the question what the point of denying it was, as it didn't prevent the question being raised periodically. Has he copped to the lie yet? It's no big deal as far as lies go, but I am interested how he will respond to the point, something about the situation changing no doubt.
    GIN1138 said:

Probably. It is not enough that we have (mostly) improved in terms of tolerance (I do wonder which intolerances or tolerances future generations will criticise us for), we must endlessly navel gaze about the failings of the past. Granted, we do need to know these things, see the past with renewed perspectives, but it can go too far, as we see when worthy figures and cultures are regarded as having no worth or things to admire because they did not perfectly match our current social and cultural norms. On this particular matter, I think the involvement of other nations in the affair does still need a bit of a push in the cultural consciousness though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

7. I guess it's part of the game, he had to appear focused on the current job, but like the Blair-Brown feud denials, no-one every believed it, so it does beg the question what the point of denying it was, as it didn't prevent the question being raised periodically. Has he copped to the lie yet? It's no big deal as far as lies go, but I am interested how he will respond to the point, something about the situation changing no doubt.

GIN1138 said:

Probably. It is not enough that we have (mostly) improved in terms of tolerance (I do wonder which intolerances or tolerances future generations will criticise us for), we must endlessly navel gaze about the failings of the past. Granted, we do need to know these things, see the past with renewed perspectives, but it can go too far, as we see when worthy figures and cultures are regarded as having no worth or things to admire because they did not perfectly match our current social and cultural norms. On this particular matter, I think the involvement of other nations in the affair does still need a bit of a push in the cultural consciousness though.
    The Shifting Moral Zeitgeist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwz6B8BFkb4
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

The Roman emperor Majorian would probably disagree.
    True.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Fair enough, I will have to stick to 'did you know...' when we play Absolute 80's on the radio in the office.

I am banned by Mike from doing a "22 years ago tomorrow x was Number 1" anniversary kind of thing
  • Options
    Mr. B, well quite.

I think we would benefit from:
    propping up a massive financial sector across the border, without which most of it would drift south to give us more jobs and tax revenue
    Salmond graciously agreeing to less than a tenth of the debt incurred due to Scottish chancellors and financial institutions

It's absolutely not worth it.

Happily, No seems to be winning.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2014
    Is someone looking out for tonight's YouGov/Sun poll? ..... I've still not figured out how to find this, probably because I don't have a twitter account. The Tories certainly need to claw back Labour's 5% lead yesterday.
  • Options

I am banned by Mike from doing a "22 years ago tomorrow x was Number 1" anniversary kind of thing
    Then OGH is a big meanie.
    I will lobby him on your behalf at DD's next time.

• Options

Is someone looking out for tonight's YouGov/Sun poll ..... I've still not figured out how to find this, probably because I don't have a twitter account. The Tories certainly need to claw back Labour's 5% lead yesterday.

Yes, I'll post it here in the next 20 mins
  • Options
    Browsing the constituency betting...

UKIP for Plymouth Moor View at 16s?

It was on my list anyway, and they won the Euros by almost 10,000 votes

Id like to bet they come 2nd, they are currently a distant 3rd in the betting
  • Options

Then OGH is a big meanie.
    I will lobby him on your behalf at DD's next time.

It's ok, I am allowed to do one, I was really gutted a few months ago, I forgot to mention that the next day was Rick Astley's birthday
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Is someone looking out for tonight's YouGov/Sun poll ..... I've still not figured out how to find this, probably because I don't have a twitter account. The Tories certainly need to claw back Labour's 5% lead yesterday.

Put these:

https://twitter.com/Sun_Politics

https://twitter.com/PopulusPolls

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft

Into your favourites. You don't need to be a twit to see the updates.
  • Options
    Apparently Israel is to extend the ceasefire, though no word yet from Hamas.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Nothing major happened on 7th August? Tish and pish, Mr. Eagles, lots of terribly interesting and important things happened, as two minutes with Google would have shown you. For example, on that day in 1947 The Bombay Municipal Corporation formally takes over the Bombay Electric Supply and Transport (BEST); it is also Mrs. Llama's birthday..
  • Options

"Black, Indian, Chinese, gay, mixed race – all fought for a country at a time when it treated them as second-class citizens"

Minorities have always fought in the British armed forces and have not generally speaking been treated as second class in any of them.

The contribution of Indian Troops on the Western front in WWI is, however, a remarkable story and far less well-known than it should be, even here in darkest Sussex where we have two magnificent memorials to their contribution.

As a fine point of interest the idea that the Afghans have always been an implacable enemy of the UK is shown to be complete tosh once you start digging. I have in my collection a photo of a pathan, what we would now call pashtun, soldier being presented with the Victoria Cross by the King in the grounds of Brighton Pavilion. The contribution made by pathan soldiers as far back as 1857 and as late as 1945 was exemplary.

P.S. In order to cater for caste and religious needs of the soldiers the hospital set up in the Brighton Pavilion had seven separate kitchens. Treated as second class, I think not.

Indian war memorial in Brighton...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattri_(Brighton)

• Options

Nothing major happened on 7th August? Tish and pish, Mr. Eagles, lots of terribly interesting and important things happened, as two minutes with Google would have shown you. For example, on that day in 1947 The Bombay Municipal Corporation formally takes over the Bombay Electric Supply and Transport (BEST); it is also Mrs. Llamas birthday..
    Happy Birthday Mrs Llama
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, I hope you remembered to buy something nice for your lady wife.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2014
    " Malleus Salmondtorum "

Er, Darling did OK - lets not get too carried away... ; )
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Indeed, Mr. StClare. It's not like he did to the SNP what Aurelian did to the barbarians.

Edited note: change the imperial example from Basil II to Aurelian.
  • Options

Nothing major happened on 7th August? Tish and pish, Mr. Eagles, lots of terribly interesting and important things happened, as two minutes with Google would have shown you. For example, on that day in 1947 The Bombay Municipal Corporation formally takes over the Bombay Electric Supply and Transport (BEST); it is also Mrs. Llamas birthday..
    Recent history here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/7/default.stm
  • Options

" Malleus Salmondtorum "

I know, I know, I've been trading out my betting positions on the indyref today, no matter the outcome, I'm making a profit.

So I'm in the happy position of being able to enjoy the rest of the campaign.
  • Options

Recent history here:

Those are all frightfully modern, I like stuff that happened before 1000 AD
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Altogether another topic:

Enjoy this magnificent triumph of brilliance and patience.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2014/08060249-were-at-the-comet-rosetta.html
  • Options
    Telegraph say Boris is in line to be the Business Secretary
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Boot Vince out and bring Boris in now.
  • Options

Certainly an upgrade from the current one
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Put these:

https://twitter.com/Sun_Politics

https://twitter.com/PopulusPolls

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft

Into your favourites. You don't need to be a twit to see the updates.
    Gin - thanks for the links, it was just the first one I didn't have.

Stand by for TSE with tonight's news.
  • Options
    Here's the telegraph front page with the Boris as Biz Sec story

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuYh_VOIUAA0lF8.jpg:large
  • Options
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 11s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down two to three points: CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    More interesting Snowden revelations:

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/08/06/the-hornets-nest/
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down two to three points: CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Recent history here:

The wiki lists are useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_7
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2014

" Malleus Salmondtorum "

no matter the outcome, I'm making a profit.
    Awesome, I would say put your feet up but aren't you standing in for Mike on the 18th?
  • Options

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 11s

Better if not great for the Tories - it's looking like another week of minimal change from Stephen Fisher.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Mr. Llama, I hope you remembered to buy something nice for your lady wife.

I did indeed, Mr. D, I am actually very good at remembering her birthday - its the wedding anniversary that I always forget, but then so does she (I have this nagging feeling that that says something about the state of our marriage, but after 30+ years its probably not worth worrying about). Anyway, the wretched Post Office decided to deliver Herself's present whilst we out for luncheon today. As I had had a drinkie I couldn't drive over to the sorting office to get it, so it is an very early rise tomorrow - The Brute will give me cover.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Recent history here:

The wiki lists are useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_7
    They are very useful, thanks.
  • Options
    34/37 so lead down to 3
  • Options
    CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%

Labour's lead crashes by almost 50%

;-)
  • Options

" Malleus Salmondtorum "

no matter the outcome, I'm making a profit.
    Awesome, I would say put your feet up but aren't you standing in for Mike on the 18th?
    The day after.

Mike goes on holiday the day after the result.

So I will be editing the site during the aftermath, and during the Lab, Con and LD conferences.

And when Mike goes on holiday, NOTHING MAJOR EVER HAPPENS!
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, glad to hear it.

Anyway, I'm off for the night.
  • Options
    The Scottish Telegraph are going to rue the day

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 3m

Thursday's Telegraph (Scotland) - "Salmond's leadership under fire after debate disaster"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuYj1-lIEAAc5Nz.jpg:large
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ed is like Eck... flatters to deceive. Eck's been found out bigtime, Ed is on the way to the same fate..
  • Options

Thursday's Telegraph (Scotland) - "Salmond's leadership under fire after debate disaster"

I don't think either of its readers in Scotland will bother.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

I love Max Hastings' account of the last great campaign of the Imperial Indian Army in 1945 in Burma.

I find it unlikely that Black and Asian soldiers would have volunteered to fight for people who they regarded as oppressors.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    TGOHF said:

Who he? Ed.

Seriously, though, what has Vince done?

No Lib Dem claim to the economic recovery from that end.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    hunchman said:
    It's called concentrating the enemy so you can deal a decisive blow, hardly a new strategy.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

I love Max Hastings' account of the last great campaign of the Imperial Indian Army in 1945 in Burma.

I find it unlikely that Black and Asian soldiers would have volunteered to fight for people who they regarded as oppressors.
    Indeed, one of my Great Grandfathers was a member of the British Indian Army, I have some of his medals.

He was very proud of his service.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

amol rajan ✔ @amolrajan

+++ LIB DEMS TURN ON CAMERON OVER GAZA. Tomorrow's @Independent front page: pic.twitter.com/p8f4TPkn2c +++

Wasn't yesterdays front page,tories turn on Cameron.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Grandiose said:

TGOHF said:

Who he? Ed.

Flogged the Royal Mail, introduced the fees for Uni students.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
    That Boris Johnson and David Cameron are two of the most impressive politicians currently in British politics ought to be cause for a great deal of national soul-searching IMO.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited August 2014

Grandiose said:

TGOHF said:

Who he? Ed.

History will remember the Royal Mail privatisation as an entirely Tory idea from conception to delivery. Despite Labour trying and failing, etc. etc.

"Here lies Vince Cable, privatiser of the Royal Mail"...

Fees doesn't scream Cable either. More a Clegg/Tory thing.
  • Options

Would that be you speaking from first hand Easterross?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

amol rajan ✔ @amolrajan

+++ LIB DEMS TURN ON CAMERON OVER GAZA. Tomorrow's @Independent front page: pic.twitter.com/p8f4TPkn2c +++

Anybody would think the entire political class has been waiting for Cameron to go on holiday so they can start getting their pound of flesh, LOL
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Correct Mr. F and they were all volunteers. In fact the biggest volunteer army in history was the Indian Army of WW2.

P.S. If you are interested in that campaign and you haven't read it yet then I thoroughly recommend George MacDonald's Fraser's memoir, "Quartered Safe Out Here". It is one of the finest things ever written about modern warfare from a very junior infantryman's view and it is very good on the British Army, probably as accurate today as it was then.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014

CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%

Labour's lead crashes by almost 50%

;-)

Interesting that around 45% of voters would possibly support Tory coalitions involving either the LDs or UKIP. That's not a bad position for the Conservatives to be in.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

amol rajan ✔ @amolrajan

Everyone turns on him, poor man.
    AndyJS said:

That Boris Johnson and David Cameron are two of the most impressive politicians currently in British politics ought to be cause for a great deal of national soul-searching IMO.

Much of the time, we get the politicians we deserve. They would not have developed into what they are, even if it has been taken beyond what people thought, if it had not been electorally successful.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited August 2014

They are very useful, thanks.

Yes, those pages are usually the backbone of the On This Day round I put in the Sunday pub quiz. Essential reading for the regular teams looking for clues in advance!
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

TGOHF said:

Who he? Ed.

History will remember the Royal Mail privatisation as an entirely Tory idea from conception to delivery. Despite Labour trying and failing, etc. etc.

"Here lies Vince Cable, privatiser of the Royal Mail"...

Fees doesn't scream Cable either. More a Clegg/Tory thing.
    I also remember him for threatening to launch his nuclear weapon, after a couple of pretty female telegraph reporters batted their lashes at him.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Indeed, one of my Great Grandfathers was a member of the British Indian Army, I have some of his medals.

He was very proud of his service.
    Gosh, would you be prepared to share any details, stories, photos etc that you have of your great Grandfather? The role of the Indian Army in WWI is something of a hobby, though obsession might be nearer the mark, of mine.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

First again!

Too much information!
    But I feel so relaxed :-)
    And sleepy.......................
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Sean_F said:

Correct Mr. F and they were all volunteers. In fact the biggest volunteer army in history was the Indian Army of WW2.

P.S. If you are interested in that campaign and you haven't read it yet then I thoroughly recommend George MacDonald's Fraser's memoir, "Quartered Safe Out Here". It is one of the finest things ever written about modern warfare from a very junior infantryman's view and it is very good on the British Army, probably as accurate today as it was then.
    You are quitely forgetting that for most if not all, it was a "well paid" job if you came from the villages of India. As it is today, if you came from the villages of Nepal.

Does a Gurkha today get the same pay as a soldier from the UK in the Army ?
  • Options

amol rajan ✔ @amolrajan

They going to go for an early GE ??
This discussion has been closed.