Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

If you’re a lurker, it’ll be a Tragedy if you don’t delurk, I’m sure your contributions won’t be Better Best Forgotten, I hope at least 5,6,7,8 lurkers delurk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    I thought Labour had already made common cause with left wing LD supporters. Or does that only mean current not former left wing LD supporters, because I really think the former LD supporters are enough to see Labour home, given other factors.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    FPT: Good evening, everyone.

F1: Rosberg has questioned the safety car's timing (namely it emerged after he and about three other cars had passed the pits, disadvantaging the leading cars):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28545304

Got to say I think that's legitimate. He pitted at the first opportunity, had a clean stop, and a 9s lead from 1st became 4th place.

In unhappy news, the ex-Caterham staff suing the team are now being counter-sued for allegedly misrepresenting the truth:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28546567

On the new thread:
    Delighted with link 20. I just re-read the chapter entitled The Bulgar Slayer in John Julius Norwich's fantastic history of Byzantium last night. Basil II was a fantastic emperor in every regard save one, but it was a critical area. He utterly neglected his heir (didn't even adopt one) which spelled the end of the rather successful Macedonian dynasty and may have led to the decline and fall of Byzantium itself.
  • Options
    The British Empire, in parts, can be something to be proud of. Obviously it's purpose was the enrichment of the home nation at the expense of others, with the oppression and racism that naturally forms a part of that, but then practically all nations of any history have engaged in empire building on a smaller or larger scale, it just depends on how successful they have been at it. It doesn't excuse the bad parts, but pretty much everyone really was doing the same thing if they could, and could be objectively worse, and there positive legacies as well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    On the banks - before the crisis hit I naively thought that in a capitalist system, where people are trying to make as much money as possible - well...

If you are a banker - lets call him "Ted the Shed" and you took lots of risks, and they came off you could give yourself a £100 million bonus, a yacht and a dozen young ladies in the Bahamas.

And if you took big risks, they didn't come off and you bust the bank then you should end up destitute and penniless. And if you've taken cash from people who believe it is basically safe with yourselves and gamble it all away then add 20 years inside as well.

Big risks, big rewards.
  • Options
    All the parties claiming an increase in members then. A common situation in the build up to a GE? I suppose it cannot be given how far party membership has fallen over the decades, so perhaps they hit their base levels?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sheeesh, Mr. Eagles, are you sure its wise to publish item #20 before Mr. Dancer's bed time? You know what he is like once someone gets him on to the subject of Basill II.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, Basil II kicked arse.

It was a weird period for Byzantium. The throne kept on being stolen by men who killed their predecessor, but all of them were incredibly competent and didn't actually kill the proper imperial family.

Anyway, it's the first time for a little while (I think) I've been on at this time. Been doing a little work offline lately.
  • Options
    I recall thinking Burnham seemed the best candidate in the Labour leadership elections, which as I am not a Labour supporter gave me a hint he clearly would not have the support of a majority of its members.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480

Sheeesh, Mr. Eagles, are you sure its wise to publish item #20 before Mr. Dancer's bed time? You know what he is like once someone gets him on to the subject of Basill II.

He's going to love tomorrow's nighthawks. And so will you.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, might not be on for it. Sounds suspiciously Caesarian.
  • Options

Nope. Nothing to do with Caesar. But is two classical history related things.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, at Christmas (if you do a festive Nighthawks) you shouldn't forget Charlemagne being crowned.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Kate Bush's birthday?
  • Options

It was a weird period for Byzantium. The throne kept on being stolen by men who killed their predecessor, but all of them were incredibly competent and didn't actually kill the proper imperial family.

Anyway, it's the first time for a little while (I think) I've been on at this time. Been doing a little work offline lately.

Indeed Mr. Dancer, from my own reading of the noble Lord's work , which you inspired, the history of Byzantium around the turn of the first millennium was even more fascinating than the earlier years. We spoke yesterday about the Game of Thrones, actually the real life intrigue of Byzantium beats any fiction hands down.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, delighted and surprised my reading of it prompted your own. Forgot who here got me onto it. Might have been Bob, who sadly departed and really knew his classical history.

Historical fiction's not my thing, but if I ever get around to it, choice periods of Byzantium might be what I'd go for. Maurice, Heraclius and Chosroes could be good, likewise Justinian and Belisarius, and the whole Macedonian dynasty.
  • Options

Indeed Mr. Dancer, from my own reading of the noble Lord's work , which you inspired, the history of Byzantium around the turn of the first millennium was even more fascinating than the earlier years. We spoke yesterday about the Game of Thrones, actually the real life intrigue of Byzantium beats any fiction hands down.
    According to his Foreword to the Accursed Kings series, George R R Martin makes the same point about the Capets and Platagenets, which I can well believe.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    I realise that this is a new thread but I wanted to respond to some of the comments made in response to mine.

First, this one from Mr Llama:

"The latest scandal, the one at Lloyds Bank, nobody has been convicted which is fair enough because nobody has been charged. Fine and dandy. That a criminal investigation has not yet taken place is an outrage! The SFO say they are thinking about starting one. What! Really after all this time and all the stories and figures that have been flying around it takes the Governor of the Bank of England to say that the Lloyds Bank's employees behaved unlawfully before the SFO declares that it is thinking about starting an investigation. Gimmie a break. "

I quite agree. I could say more about some of the other failures by the SFO and indeed the FSA in relation to, for instance, RBS but I cannot. The SFO, in particular, has been an appallingly mismanaged organisation for years, lacking credibility and interfered with politically. The ethical behaviour and incompetence of some of its staff has been shocking; see, for instance, its behaviour over the Tchenguiz brothers, for which is had to pay compensation.

Ask yourself why it was when the UK's biggest fraud was prosecuted in 2011-2012 (K Adoboli) the SFO was nowhere to be seen. If a $2.3 billion fraud is not serious, what on earth is?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Kate Bush's birthday?
    I did not know that
  • Options

I shall look forward to it, Mr. E, though I might say at this point I am really an English medievalist by scholarship and inclination, with a very big dose of WWI for variety, not a classical history wallah at all (save as is necessary for gently winding up Mr. Dancer).

• Options
    Mr. Llama, your Caesarian heresy made it quite apparent you're not a classical scholar ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I shall look forward to it, Mr. E, though I might say at this point I am really an English medievalist by scholarship and inclination, with a very big dose of WWI for variety, not a classical history wallah at all (save as is necessary for gently winding up Mr. Dancer).

My historical knowledge is vast, it allows me to compare the brilliant strategists from the ages such as Caesar and Schwarzkopf, to the inept ones, such as Hannibal and Ed Miliband, so expect more medieval and WWI references in the future
  • Options
    @NickPalmer (FPT):-

"Up to a point. I once joined a company whose pension advisers were selling guaranteed income if a staff member fell ill. The adviser sent me a strongly-worded standard letter saying that I'd surely want to take this superb offer.

I quite like reading small print, because I'm allergic to being had, and discovered a clause which completely ruled me out from benefiting, for a reason that the adviser will have been aware of. I frostily pointed it out, and got an abject apology. Then, a year later, I discovered that the company pension fund was predicting double the benefit that it was really offering (they were double-counting contributions). Feeling a bit of a troublemaker, I pointed this out too, and got another apology and corrected statements for everyone in the company.

I'm prepared to believe that both were accidental errors, and I took no further action. But out of idle curiosity, could/should I have done anything, given that I'm not aware of anyone who lost by it?"

Nick: I think that you probably did the right thing, especially getting corrected statements for everyone in the company so kudos to you.

If the firm had been regulated in some way maybe notifying the relevant authorities might have been an option or the legal/compliance departments. What I would be concerned about in such a situation is what other errors are happening and why, whether there is a systemic issue and making sure that those problems are being properly identified and corrected in advance and not just when someone points them out.

Two errors suggests to me some sort of problem: sloppiness possibly rather than deliberate fraud but in a way that's irrelevant because the effects on the employee or consumer are the same.

One issue is this: you say that you felt a "bit of a troublemaker". You should never feel like this. You were doing the right thing by pointing the issue out and we should salute and thank such people. It's precisely because people feel like this that they keep quiet and wrongdoing and incompetence go undetected and unpunished.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Interesting piece on the caged tiger (a very powerful chap in China is being investigated for corruption). It ends the unwritten rule that the chaps at the top don't go after one another, to stop the savagery of what happened a few decades ago:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-28548297

Idiotic comments below, though. Whilst corruption exists everywhere, the idea the UK is more corrupt than China is farcical.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2014
    FOR NPEXMP

Interesting on the last thread you should be worried about being given misinformation by your Pension Co. but Politicians of all sides were mismanaging pension schemes legislation resulting in many schemes going bust resulting in a substitutiion of a compensation scheme that doesn't meet the needs of those who are about to retire

Were you shouting on behalf of these those poor unfortunates before the schemes went bust..., millions of them who have and will suffer in retirement?

Meanwhile you and your ilk have a lovely gilt edged index linked pensions that you can retire with in comfort. Those schemes aren't going bust anytime soon are they..
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    kle4 said:

All the parties claiming an increase in members then. A common situation in the build up to a GE? I suppose it cannot be given how far party membership has fallen over the decades, so perhaps they hit their base levels?

I think we also need to be clear what constitutes a "member". To belong as a full member to most political parties isn't cheap and I just wonder if the Conservatives are inflating their figures to include people who have expressed an interest or donated a couple of quid via social networking or some other website.

If we're talking membership and money one person paying £1,000 per year is the same financially as 100 people paying £10 a year so we can't really equate the one with the othetr either. A lot of it is about "virility" but in essence what you say has an element of truth - none of the three main parties are mass membership movements (neither is UKIP) but if a small number of people are paying a large amount of money per head it's enough to keep the show on the road.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    kle4 said:

I seem to recall that's true from previous periods too. It's been drifting upwards since 2010 in my neck of the woods, but I'm finding people actually volunteering to join at the moment, whereas usually one has to coax 100 zealous supporters before finds one who is willing to sign up. Marginality probably helps too - we're portraying it as a barrel of fun (which it is, for us competitive spirits), but not dwelling on the "say goodbye to your free time for 9 months" aspect (which it also is).

• Options

Interesting piece on the caged tiger (a very powerful chap in China is being investigated for corruption). It ends the unwritten rule that the chaps at the top don't go after one another, to stop the savagery of what happened a few decades ago:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-28548297

Idiotic comments below, though. Whilst corruption exists everywhere, the idea the UK is more corrupt than China is farcical.

The trouble is a lot of people on comments sections regard mild bureaucratic incompetencies or inefficiencies to be corruption, ignoring for instance those places in the world where you have to pay a bribe to get almost anything done from an official, or the trouble of vested interests and low level and rare corruption to be of the same calibre as multi-billion pound dealings.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cyclefree said:

I realise that this is a new thread but I wanted to respond to some of the comments made in response to mine.

"The latest scandal, the one at Lloyds Bank, nobody has been convicted which is fair enough because nobody has been charged. Fine and dandy. That a criminal investigation has not yet taken place is an outrage! The SFO say they are thinking about starting one. What! Really after all this time and all the stories and figures that have been flying around it takes the Governor of the Bank of England to say that the Lloyds Bank's employees behaved unlawfully before the SFO declares that it is thinking about starting an investigation. Gimmie a break. "

I quite agree. I could say more about some of the other failures by the SFO and indeed the FSA in relation to, for instance, RBS but I cannot. The SFO, in particular, has been an appallingly mismanaged organisation for years, lacking credibility and interfered with politically. The ethical behaviour and incompetence of some of its staff has been shocking; see, for instance, its behaviour over the Tchenguiz brothers, for which is had to pay compensation.

Ask yourself why it was when the UK's biggest fraud was prosecuted in 2011-2012 (K Adoboli) the SFO was nowhere to be seen. If a $2.3 billion fraud is not serious, what on earth is?

Isn't it the case that the SFO have been left more castrated and impotent than a thousand eunuchs, since Blair and his intervention since BAE inquiry
  • Options
    My favourite SFO story in recent years

'BAE' documents lost by SFO found at cannabis farm

Documents identifying prosecution witnesses in a case against defence contractor BAE Systems turned up at a cannabis farm in east London after being lost by the Serious Fraud Office, it has emerged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financial-crime/10307238/BAE-documents-lost-by-SFO-found-at-cannabis-farm.html
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, probably also a hangover from the expenses scandal.

And a lot of laziness instead of thinking. The UK's got some problems but it's pretty fantastic to live here compared to the vast majority of places.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

On the banks - before the crisis hit I naively thought that in a capitalist system, where people are trying to make as much money as possible - well...

[...]

Big risks, big rewards.

Well, you were half right...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

According to his Foreword to the Accursed Kings series, George R R Martin makes the same point about the Capets and Platagenets, which I can well believe.
    The Accursed Kings Series? Was that not by Maurice Druon (spelling?)? If we are talking about the same it was a superb series of books and a rather good, if naughty, French TV series. Goodness, I haven't read those books in more than 30 years. I doubt they are still in print, and I am damn certain they never achieved the fame that was their due, probably because the main protagonists were Frogs.

Another excellent set of books I remember from those days that also did not get the recognition it deserved was the Dando series about the life of an English private soldier in the mid-nineteenth century. I can't remember the author but they were, as I recall, in order, "Dando on Delhi Ridge" (the Indian Mutiny), Dando and the Summer Palace" (the Peking Campaign) and Dando and the Mad Emperor" (Napier's Expedition into Ethiopia, which is also covered brilliantly in Fraser's, "Flashman on the March).
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Isn't it the case that the SFO have been left castrated and impotent than a thousands eunuchs, since Blair and his intervention since BAE inquiry
    Yes - but the Tories had an opportunity to do something about this in 2010 and didn't. I went to a breakfast meeting with some City Ministers and asked Mark Hoban about the enforcement side and, essentially, the answer made it clear that while a lot of thinking had been done about the regulatory side, there was not so much on the enforcement side. So nothing effective has been done fast enough which is why now in 2014 the SFO is only now finally putting its boots on. You need several tough prosecutions to get credibility. The first SFO prosecution re LIBOR will only start next year.

They are leaving it too late and the reality is that City firms do not fear the SFO; they have seen FSA/FCA enforcement in action (and it took a while for that to develop), they worry when the French start enforcement proceedings but they really wake up in a cold sweat when they think of the US authorities.

• Options
    edited July 2014

kle4 said:

The Accursed Kings Series? Was that not by Maurice Druon (spelling?)? If we are talking about the same it was a superb series of books and a rather good, if naughty, French TV series. Goodness, I haven't read those books in more than 30 years. I doubt they are still in print, and I am damn certain they never achieved the fame that was their due, probably because the main protagonists were Frogs.
    Recently re-released (first five so far) to capitalize on all things Game of Thrones (GRRM cited them as an inspiration), so a good time to pick them up again no doubt.

I shall have to take a look at this Dando series if I can find them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-King-Accursed-Kings-Book/dp/0007491263/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406666669&sr=8-1&keywords=accursed+kings
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

My favourite SFO story in recent years

'BAE' documents lost by SFO found at cannabis farm

Documents identifying prosecution witnesses in a case against defence contractor BAE Systems turned up at a cannabis farm in east London after being lost by the Serious Fraud Office, it has emerged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financial-crime/10307238/BAE-documents-lost-by-SFO-found-at-cannabis-farm.html

Clever
    Hide criminal evidence in a place where criminal activity occurs so if the owners discover it they won't be able to tell the police.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Mrs. Free, Thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate you have a difficult line to tread. Perhaps one day we two might meet up over a bottle of something nice in circumstances where we can be as indiscreet concerning past cases as we like.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

kle4 said:

Another excellent set of books I remember from those days that also did not get the recognition it deserved was the Dando series about the life of an English private soldier in the mid-nineteenth century. I can't remember the author but they were, as I recall, in order, "Dando on Delhi Ridge" (the Indian Mutiny), Dando and the Summer Palace" (the Peking Campaign) and Dando and the Mad Emperor" (Napier's Expedition into Ethiopia, which is also covered brilliantly in Fraser's, "Flashman on the March).
    Flashman and The Great Game and Flashman and the Dragon, covering the mutiny and Peking respectively, are also stunningly good.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Isn't it the case that the SFO have been left castrated and impotent than a thousands eunuchs, since Blair and his intervention since BAE inquiry
    Yes - but the Tories had an opportunity to do something about this in 2010 and didn't. I went to a breakfast meeting with some City Ministers and asked Mark Hoban about the enforcement side and, essentially, the answer made it clear that while a lot of thinking had been done about the regulatory side, there was not so much on the enforcement side. So nothing effective has been done fast enough which is why now in 2014 the SFO is only now finally putting its boots on. You need several tough prosecutions to get credibility. The first SFO prosecution re LIBOR will only start next year.

They are leaving it too late and the reality is that City firms do not fear the SFO; they have seen FSA/FCA enforcement in action (and it took a while for that to develop), they worry when the French start enforcement proceedings but they really wake up in a cold sweat when they think of the US authorities.

I do wonder if the complexity of Fraud trials and the managing juries is also having an impact, it's no coincidence that the longest criminal trial in England was a fraud trial and ended when the jury revolted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1486530/No-regrets-The-juror-accused-of-precipitating-the-collapse-of-the-60m-Jubilee-Line-fraud-trial-by-going-on-strike.html
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,024
    Interesting excerpts from today's Comres poll
    'Asked whether Mr Miliband puts them off voting for Labour at the general election, 54 per cent of the public agreed and 41 per cent disagreed. A third of Labour supporters (36 per cent) said the party leader put them off, as did 75 per cent of Tory supporters. But Liberal Democrat supporters were more divided, with 54 per cent saying that Mr Miliband put them off and 41 per cent that he did not.'

One in five (20 per cent) people said they would be more likely to vote Labour if Tony Blair were party leader, including one in eight Tory supporters (12 per cent) and one in 10 Ukip supporters (10 per cent). Three in 10 Labour supporters said that they would be more likely to vote for the party next May if Mr Blair were leader, but 69 per cent would not be. The former Prime Minister has a following among younger voters: 30 per cent of 18-24 year-olds and 23 per cent of 25-34 year-olds would be more likely to vote Labour if he were leader, compared to just 13 per cent of over 65s.'
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poll-labour-set-to-win-the-election--but-people-still-dont-like-ed-miliband-9634140.html
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I said yesterday was outlier Monday....

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 25s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead drops to just one point: CON 34%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Looks like YouGov is trying to keep up with the Ashcroft polls but with wildly fluctuating Labour vote shares instead.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

kle4 said:

Flashman and The Great Game and Flashman and the Dragon, covering the mutiny and Peking respectively, are also stunningly good.

They are indeed, Mr. X. The opening chapter of Flashman and the Dragon damn nearly got me slung out of a nice bar in Menorca - I was on my own and laughing so much they thought I was a loony. A year or two back I re-read the whole Flashman series in chronological order (as per the Hero's life). Fraser left more holes than a Swiss cheese and more contradictions than you can shake a stick at. Be that as it may, I think the acme of the series was Flashman and the Mountain of Light.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead drops to just one point: CON 34%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%

But this is probably an outlier too...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Tonights YG LAB 328 CON 278 LD 17 Other 27

Ed is crap is PM
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Mrs. Free, Thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate you have a difficult line to tread. Perhaps one day we two might meet up over a bottle of something nice in circumstances where we can be as indiscreet concerning past cases as we like.
    I look forward to it!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    murali_s said:

I know, yesterday's polls were all consistent with an average Lab lead of around 3%
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Yep. Back to 3 tomorrow...

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited July 2014
    Yougov now brought to you by Lord Ashcroft?

All those excited lefties yesterday as well.... only on pb. Well not only but ...
  • Options
    2 out of the 3 last YouGov's have had a Lab lead of just 1.

Just saying....
  • Options

Just saying....

What have 2 of the last 3 gold-standard ICM's had to say....

• Options

All those excited lefties yesterday as well.... only on pb. Well not only but ...

Here's a joke you'll enjoy

Liverpool have just bid £25 million for Gary Ballance given his recent performance in Southampton.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289

And today is outlier Tuesday!

The true lead is between 3.5% and 4%. We get the occasional tie or 1% and the occasional 6% or 7%.

Rob D's excellent graph (link below) averaging every poll actually shows the lead having widened a tiny bit in his latest 15 day period and now standing at 4.1%. I guess when tonight's poll is loaded in that may shade down to 4.0%.

In contrast the YouGov Lab lead last week fell to 3% from 4.4% in both the previous two weeks. The week before that it had fallen to 2.4% - but that was after 5 weeks in a row between 4% and 5%. But even the YouGov weekly average of 5 polls will have some random movement in it.

The big picture is we have seen nothing to suggest the true lead isn't effectively static at between 3.5% and 4%.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v1-aXNoGwZSLOIWziLoqq9rbN3MHg6qezWKbjsAkunw/edit?pli=1#gid=1268197642
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Ed is crap is PM

Do leave it out. David Cameron is PM. What you mean is that ed will be PM, which he won't, or that he would become PM if there were a GE tomorrow, which there won't be. Polls are not predictions.
  • Options

Here's a joke you'll enjoy

Liverpool have just bid £25 million for Gary Ballance given his recent performance in Southampton.
    Spurs had their £50m bid for Sean Terry turned down however I gather.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Excellent Brookes' cartoon. Cameron trying to show that he is John Bull-Shyt.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Recently re-released (first five so far) to capitalize on all things Game of Thrones (GRRM cited them as an inspiration), so a good time to pick them up again no doubt.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-King-Accursed-Kings-Book/dp/0007491263/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406666669&sr=8-1&keywords=accursed+kings
    Wow! The Druon books available on Kindle for £1.99 a pop. Thank you, sir, I shall look forward to reading them again starting with "The Iron King" tonight.

P.S. If you get any twinges in your back, perhaps a loss of movement in the lower limbs, it will be nothing to worry about, just Herself sticking pins into a wax model labelled "kle4".

P.P.S. Can't help you any more with the Dando series. I read them in the early to mid seventies can't for the life of me recall the author's name. I think he was one of the prolific authors who write under various names depending on which which period he is writing about.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    May I just say well done to all our British swimmers at the commonwealth games.

I know it's only the commonwealth games but after a very poor London Olympics,I've seen great improvement and future stars.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

P.S. If you get any twinges in your back, perhaps a loss of movement in the lower limbs, it will be nothing to worry about, just Herself sticking pins into a wax model labelled "kle4".

Oh gods, I can already feel a pain in my neck. It cannot be from sitting in front of computer screens for more than 12 hours today, it must be you, already beginning the punishment.

I take that, along with the need to prepare for an early start, as my cue to say good night all.
  • Options

Neither this nor Monday's polls are outliers - thats a much bandied about word and I think people don't use it properly.
  • Options

Just saying....

Con leads.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    These bankers need enforcement from CIPFA trained local government auditors.These are people who can trace your every action and are to be feared,the one in my last local authority was known as "the terminator" and not without good reason.This may provoke the necessary change to their irresponsible behaviour with other peoples' money.The public sector know it well,it's called public accountability.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    14 is excellent advice for wannabee trolls!

On which note I think it worth pointing out that Farage is no Bulgar Slayer. He is more useless than a Hannibal born in Scotland.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ishmael_X said:

Ed is crap is PM

Do leave it out. David Cameron is PM. What you mean is that ed will be PM, which he won't, or that he would become PM if there were a GE tomorrow, which there won't be. Polls are not predictions.
    Winning a poll is all Labour have.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Just saying....

Con leads.
    Well well well. That's might be my new second-pb name "Con Lead 2 of the 3 last ICMs" for trolling about IHT....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour has resurrected plans for a 15 per cent “death tax” to pay for people’s care in old age.

Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, said he wants Labour to “embrace” a system where social care is funded by imposing a tax on estates when people die.

Labour abandoned plans for a 10 per cent levy on estates to pay for social care before the 2010 general election following a wave of criticism.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10998994/Labour-resurrects-plans-for-a-death-tax.html
  • Options
    Listen to Tory Oliver Letwin letting slip plans to tax low-paid same as BAN

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/listen-tory-oliver-letwin-letting-3933116#ixzz38tZGuvu8
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
  • Options
    Apologies that should have read-BANKERS.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Neither this nor Monday's polls are outliers - thats a much bandied about word and I think people don't use it properly.
    It has long been accepted on PB that an outlier is a poll that you disagree with.
  • Options
    A Ukip fundraiser is a former madam who was jailed for earning hundreds of thousands of pounds from running brothels, The Times can reveal.

Vanessa Coleman, who is organising the opening of a new party headquarters in Bournemouth next month, was known as “Madam Vanessa”.

The 68-year-old was jailed for eight months in 2006 after being found guilty of running venues for prostitution and possessing counterfeit goods.

Since her release she has become involved with the Eurosceptic party, donating to the cause and hosting fundraising events,

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4161473.ece
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Labour has resurrected plans for a 15 per cent “death tax” to pay for people’s care in old age.

Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, said he wants Labour to “embrace” a system where social care is funded by imposing a tax on estates when people die.

Labour abandoned plans for a 10 per cent levy on estates to pay for social care before the 2010 general election following a wave of criticism.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10998994/Labour-resurrects-plans-for-a-death-tax.html

Andy Burnham is certainly positioning himself well. This combines well with his demand that NHS privatisation is frozen until after the election. I think that if EdM bails out AB will win.
  • Options

14 is excellent advice for wannabee trolls!

On which note I think it worth pointing out that Farage is no Bulgar Slayer. He is more useless than a Hannibal born in Scotland.

Like.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

A Ukip fundraiser is a former madam who was jailed for earning hundreds of thousands of pounds from running brothels, The Times can reveal.

Vanessa Coleman, who is organising the opening of a new party headquarters in Bournemouth next month, was known as “Madam Vanessa”.

The 68-year-old was jailed for eight months in 2006 after being found guilty of running venues for prostitution and possessing counterfeit goods.

Since her release she has become involved with the Eurosceptic party, donating to the cause and hosting fundraising events,

Don't see a problem with that. She's served her sentence, nothing wrong with fund-raising for what she thinks is a good cause.
  • Options

Its easy to understand and I am sure she has the support of 7 up Nigel. Bloody East Europeans, coming here and putting our local working girls out of business.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

On the new thread:
    Delighted with link 20. I just re-read the chapter entitled The Bulgar Slayer in John Julius Norwich's fantastic history of Byzantium last night. Basil II was a fantastic emperor in every regard save one, but it was a critical area. He utterly neglected his heir (didn't even adopt one) which spelled the end of the rather successful Macedonian dynasty and may have led to the decline and fall of Byzantium itself.

Succession planning is the #1 responsibility of the chairman.

Without that, I don't care whatever else he did: he was a failure
  • Options

Just saying....

Con leads.
    Well well well. That's might be my new second-pb name "Con Lead 2 of the 3 last ICMs" for trolling about IHT....
    I cannot condone or encourage trolling on PB.
  • Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    Police question 'domestic extremists' on a farm one mile from Owen Paterson's private residence.
    http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/north-shropshire-anti-fracking-campers.html
  • Options

Don't see a problem with that. She's served her sentence, nothing wrong with fund-raising for what she thinks is a good cause.
    It this bit that cracked me up

In her self-published memoir, An Accidental Madam . . . a true story, Ms Coleman describes how she entered the sex industry when her male partner was advertising a legitimate massage service and she answered the phone to a “posh male voice” who asked her if she would spank him.

She started doing “dominatrix work” and ended up running two brothels in Bournemouth under the name Annabelle’s Escorts, employing as many as eight maids and 30 working girls.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

My historical knowledge is vast, it allows me to compare the brilliant strategists from the ages such as Caesar and Schwarzkopf, to the inept ones, such as Hannibal and Ed Miliband, so expect more medieval and WWI references in the future
    What about the long nineteenth century*?

We are deprived and neglected here on PB!

* Admittedly a phrase coined by a notable Marxist, but you can't have everything...
  • Options
    13. This somewhat patriotic Englishman will be voting yes (among other reasons) because McTiernan and his fellow clowns never bothered answering the WLQ. Now they have raised the spectre of further devolution without an answer to WLQ, I'm all the more determined that independence is the only hope of an answer.
  • Options

An ex-madam is running the fundraiser event? Sounds good to me. Got to be more fun than Miliband telling me image is not important, only ideas and his big idea is... image is not important. Or that fool Cameron whittering on telling us that he is jolly well going to do those things that four years ago he told us he was jolly well going to do. Off to a UKIP knocking shop much more fun.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Pulpstar said:

It has long been accepted on PB that an outlier is a poll that you disagree with.
    What do you think about the Platinum Standard, the Wisdom Index?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

I think we should scrap the term "outlier" and use the term "Monday" instead when referring to such polls, in much the same way as Austin Allegro models were referred to affectionately or otherwise as "Friday Afternoon" cars.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Andy Burnham is certainly positioning himself well. This combines well with his demand that NHS privatisation is frozen until after the election. I think that if EdM bails out AB will win.

Let's see: a 10% social care tax, 40% IHT and rolled up mansion tax. Pretty much all your estate gone after all that.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Let's see: a 10% social care tax, 40% IHT and rolled up mansion tax. Pretty much all your estate gone after all that.

It's not your estate - it's Labours to spend on reintroducing the spare room subsidy.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

I think that you are not far off. But the people who elect the next Labour leader will like the proposal.

I have a few quid on Andy Burnham as next leader.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Freggles said:

Pulpstar said:

What do you think about the Platinum Standard, the Wisdom Index?
    As I understand it, Martin Boon of ICM told Mike and the world, that the ICM Wisdom Index was the most accurate poll at the 2010 GE.

What he hasn't said, what the wisdom index was saying in say July 2009.

Until we know that, I'm not even giving the Wisdom Index any standard, gold, platinum or bog.

It is filed under interesting in my book, but I'm not betting on it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

What about the long nineteenth century*?

We are deprived and neglected here on PB!

* Admittedly a phrase coined by a notable Marxist, but you can't have everything...
    I cover all centuries.
  • Options
    Number 17

These are not the plantagenats we are looking for.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited July 2014

Pulpstar said:

I think we should scrap the term "outlier" and use the term "Monday" instead when referring to such polls, in much the same way as Austin Allegro models were referred to affectionately or otherwise as "Friday Afternoon" cars.
    More frequently known as the All Aggro..

when my then-fiancee was moving fom London to Manchester in the mid 70s after I was transferred there, her employer lent her a company car to help move her stuff up there.

She parked in my parents' driveway and shut the door, which promptly locked with the keys still in the ignition. Mostly in frustration I tried to unlock the door with my car keys (my beloved coke bottle shape racing green metallic Cortina GXL). It worked.

I had to return the car to London. Square steering wheel and all it was absolutely the worst car I have ever driven, and considering the sheer awfulness of the British Leyland range at the time, that's saying something.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Tim_B
    Making the lower trunnions out of stale cheese was probably not optimal from an engineering standpoint either.
  • Options

Its easy to understand and I am sure she has the support of 7 up Nigel.

Reminds me, I was having a peaceful discussion of immigration on the doorstep with a bloke on Sunday when he changed the subject and said: "Anyway, that Farage, knows how to get the girls, eh? Phwoaar!"

Sometimes it does cross my mind that some voters like winding canvassers up...

• Options
    Is a certain ex-F1 related bod trying his best to check out the Streisand effect today ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

It's not your estate - it's Labours to spend on reintroducing the spare room subsidy.

Didn't you forget reducing the IHT free allowance and introducing a series of higher rate bands for estates over £1m, ie for family homes in SE England?
    Unless of course *cough* one is smart enough *cough* to implement tax-saving arrangements on one's late father's residence.
  • Options
    Hearing about that diesel tax malarkey being imposed by the EU was annoying on the way home today.

The only way may well be UKIP...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Smarmeron said:

@Tim_B
    Making the lower trunnions out of stale cheese was probably not optimal from an engineering standpoint either.

Sounds like you agree that the All Aggro - in modern social science speak - was a "deferred success".
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    I'm not going to follow any of your linkes ever again. The new Statesman (and it comments) is worse than the Spectator
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Didn't you forget reducing the IHT free allowance and introducing a series of higher rate bands for estates over £1m, ie for family homes in SE England?
    Unless of course *cough* one is smart enough *cough* to implement tax-saving arrangements on one's late father's residence.

Guidos tape has Burnham wanting 15% : 55% total.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Pulpstar
    Boris has said it will only be applied to older diesels (coming into force circa2020), and is specifically designed to keep the plebs out of the city.
    Particulates are good for you anyway, research for BP etc, has found.
    They used the old tobacco companies model as a guide.....allegedly.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

More frequently known as the All Aggro..

when my then-fiancee was moving fom London to Manchester in the mid 70s after I was transferred there, her employer lent her a company car to help move her stuff up there.

She parked in my parents' driveway and shut the door, which promptly locked with the keys still in the ignition. Mostly in frustration I tried to unlock the door with my car keys (my beloved coke bottle shape racing green metallic Cortina GXL). It worked.

I had to return the car to London. Square steering wheel and all it was absolutely the worst car I have ever driven, and considering the sheer awfulness of the British Leyland range at the time, that's saying something.
    Can we safely assume that this particular "then-fiancee" very soon afterwards became your ex-fiancee? In which case perhaps you have a great deal to thank British Leyland for.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Pulpstar said:

Hearing about that diesel tax malarkey being imposed by the EU was annoying on the way home today.

The only way may well be UKIP...

lets see - who makes loads of diesel cars - ah yes. Will Germany go along with this?

The proposal is not new - it was first mooted back in the spring if not before. At the time the FT pointed out
    ''Their chances of defeating the latest proposal appear good because it would require unanimous support from the EU’s 27 member states.
    Germany, home to the EU’s biggest car manufacturers, has already expressed reservations, as has the UK. Luxembourg, whose low diesel prices have made it a magnet for long-haul truckers, could also object. ''

Of course in the UK we already tax diesel more than petrol we have a price differential the exact opposite of most if not all other countries.
This discussion has been closed.