Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories drop to their lowest point ever in a ComRes phon

2»

Comments

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Pulpstar
    It isn't the only thing that is a mess.
    A lot of the Tory campaign will be about diverting attention from these, and hoping for a friendly media to not look closely into them.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Did anyone see Liz Truss on a photo opportunity visit to Somerset, making sure she got the message out about how important she took the flooding issue. " I have made this visit within the first 10 days of being in the job". She apparently turned up with no prior notice to most farmers and local residents, so they could not ask her any questions.

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Smarmeron said:

@edmundintokyo
    Sadly no,It would mean them having to be honest with the voters.
    We have the great British traditions to uphold!

It's not obvious that proper accounting would be a problem for politicians - it would be a much cheerier picture if you reported the government's actual net worth instead of just fretting about the liabilities all the time.
    Absolute rubbish - why do you think they hide any proper accountability. The EU is just the same too - 20 years now with no accounts officially signed off. Its gone on for so long that its no longer news.

The liabilities of social security and government pensions alone on the basis that private companies have to account for pensions liabilities alone would be enough to show the true state of affairs. Now that would be some 'proper accounting' as you put it!
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Did anyone see Liz Truss on a photo opportunity visit to Somerset, making sure she got the message out about how important she took the flooding issue. " I have made this visit within the first 10 days of being in the job". She apparently turned up with no prior notice to most farmers and local residents, so they could not ask her any questions.

Thanks for making us aware of that. And then they wonder why people are turning against the establishment in droves:

http://www.bridgwatermercury.co.uk/news/11371128.Environment_Secretary_Liz_Truss_visits_Somerset/?ref=var_0
  • Options
    @hunchman
    It might all be academic At the moment, it suits the "West" to do a bit of strutting, with the fallback of blaming "sanctions" for any economic fall off.
    Putin agrees, and can do the same schtick for his countrymen.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014

The surreal thing about government accounting is that they don't seem to take any notice of assets. If you're owed a load of money, and you sell those debts to somebody else at fair value, that should make basically zero difference to the amount of money you have available to spend on things, because the money you get for the loan book just replaces your future income stream from the debts.

I don't think that is right. The net present value of the loan book depends on at least four things: (a) future interest rates, (b) bad debt levels, (c) whether the expected repayments are higher or lower than expected because income has been mispredicted [this is similar to (b) but not quite the same, because (b) refers to repayments which are actually due but don't get paid, whereas this refers to whether they are due], and (d) administrative costs involved in collecting all this dosh.

It might well be that the reasoning is that, if universities have a stake in the repayments, items (b) and (c), and perhaps even (d), would come out better.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Hugh said:

Your very last hope is a Kinnockised assault on Ed from your media arm isn't it?

A long shot.

My very good hope is that voters will look at the choice available to them.

No guarantees, of course. I don't entirely share Jack W's faith that voters are rational.. Sometimes they are bonkers.
    I've never inferred the voters are rational. Many of them can't be trusted to tie their shoe laces let alone vote and a high proportion should be locked up on polling day.

However as bonkers as many are the nation still retains a suitable number of spanners in their collective tool box not to place Ed in Downing Street.

I actually think the voters are pretty smart. Almost every election they pick the best government, including the current LD-Con one.

It seems likely that we will have PM Miliband, but that may well be the best possible choice.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2014

TGOHF said:

Can any LandslideLabour types disagree with McBride ?

Mr McBride concludes: ‘Labour currently has no clear idea who its target audience is, no positive messages to communicate to anyone about why they should vote for the party, no policies which will persuade them, and is being run in a totally dysfunctional way.’

Mr Miliband is odds on to be the next PM. The Labour leader whom Mr McBride advised seemed less successful. Curious, isn't it? Perhaps there's something to be said for the milder approach.

If the question is whether I'd rather spend time with the people around Ed Miliband, or McBride and the other people surrounding Brown, then yeah, Ed and his circle seem much nicer people.

But I think McBride has a pretty cogent analysis of politics, judging by this article and some of his previous blogs. I think the most true bit is when he says Labour has no idea of the kind of voters they should be targeting. Despite all the lip service about "reconnecting with the public", the Labour leadership still always seem to think what the London chatterati think is automatically what the public think. All this nonsense about "economic credibility" and their belief that the reason Labour are struggling is because they don't have tough "targets" on the deficit. It might be of interest to pointy-heads who work for thinktanks, but the average person down the Dog & Duck does not see why some spreadsheet in a Whitehall office should be of any concern to them.

Similarly, even when Labour do occasionally have a good policy, they present it in a way which will go over the public's heads: most people don't care about "responsible capitalism" as some general principle just for the sake of it, but they do care about big companies routinely ripping off their customers, bosses not giving their employees decent wages and working conditions, and rich people and big businesses thinking that paying their taxes is only something that plebs do and that they're too rich and powerful to have to bother with it. So EdM has to spell out that those are what he wants to do, rather than making sweeping high-brow ideological speeches which feel good to people in the Westminster bubble who like to feel part of some big "movement", but leaves normal people wondering what the hell all this has to do with their lives. It goes beyond Labour not knowing people's opinions on things, it's that on a fundamental level they don't seem to grasp how normal people's thought processes work.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@hunchman
    It might all be academic At the moment, it suits the "West" to do a bit of strutting, with the fallback of blaming "sanctions" for any economic fall off.

Putin is desperate to divert attention away from the domestic situation in Russia which has been deteriorating for some while now. Which until now he is doing successfully. The demographics are horrible, and the population is going down despite the best efforts of the Putin government to offer large financial inducements for having children. The fact that so many Russian males are dying much earlier than females (so much alcoholism) is leading to a birth rate crisis. You only need to be a tourist on the streets of Moscow and St Petersburg, and you notice very few elderly men, but plenty of elderly women. And because of the language barrier / perceived racism trying to attract immigrants is far easier said than done. I saw very few ethnic minorities during my time there either. And this problem is only getting worse for Russia, as their population is projected to decline by a 1m people a year for a long time going forward (from the present level of 142m).

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/03/numbers-vladimir-putin-doesnt-want-you-to-see

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/russia-population/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    Broken, sleazy Tories on the slide :)
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    *** Ahem *** PB Hodges predicted crossover *** Ahem***

Keep on walking Basil, we have a long way to go.
  • Options
    @hunchman
    At least our economy is growing, but where exactly is the "growth" coming from?
    When you work it out, look at all the other countries that are in the same boat.
    Britain may be a front runner, but the others are not all that far behind.
    ^^
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    hunchman said:

Smarmeron said:

@hunchman

Putin is desperate to divert attention away from the domestic situation in Russia which has been deteriorating for some while now. Which until now he is doing successfully. The demographics are horrible, and the population is going down despite the best efforts of the Putin government to offer large financial inducements for having children. The fact that so many Russian males are dying much earlier than females (so much alcoholism) is leading to a birth rate crisis. You only need to be a tourist on the streets of Moscow and St Petersburg, and you notice very few elderly men, but plenty of elderly women. And because of the language barrier / perceived racism trying to attract immigrants is far easier said than done. I saw very few ethnic minorities during my time there either. And this problem is only getting worse for Russia, as their population is projected to decline by a 1m people a year for a long time going forward (from the present level of 142m).

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/03/numbers-vladimir-putin-doesnt-want-you-to-see

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/russia-population/
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/173597/russian-approval-putin-soars-highest-level-years.aspx

"The 83% of Russians saying they approve of Putin's leadership in late April/early June"
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    hunchman said:

hucks67 said:

Thanks for making us aware of that. And then they wonder why people are turning against the establishment in droves:

http://www.bridgwatermercury.co.uk/news/11371128.Environment_Secretary_Liz_Truss_visits_Somerset/?ref=var_0
    People are turning against the establishment because a ministers comes and talks to local people in any area where there has been a problem, and sees for herself what is being done?

Would it better if she sat at a computer instead?
  • Options
    Well done Adam Gemili and Jazz Carlin tonight. Followed their careers with interest up to now - silver and gold medals good reward for all their dedication over the past few years.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The PB Hodges are like the Grand Old Duke of Yorks men. They march enthusiastically all the way to the near pinnacle which is a 1% Labour lead on the polling hill, over excitedly declare crossover imminent.....and repeatedly tumble back down the hill.
  • Options

hunchman said:

hucks67 said:

People are turning against the establishment because a ministers comes and talks to local people in any area where there has been a problem, and sees for herself what is being done?

It would be better if she turned up announced, so that the locals had had some time to prepare questions for her to answer. That's what we're so annoyed about here. But no, the no.10 spin operation has been fully at work here. As for the old modelling paradigm goes, rubbish in = rubbish out, cynical politics = cynical voter reaction. Its not hard to fathom, unless you're the Westminster village!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

hunchman said:

hucks67 said:

In God we Truss?

:)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

The PB Hodges are like the Grand Old Duke of Yorks men. They march enthusiastically all the way to the near pinnacle which is a 1% Labour lead on the polling hill, over excitedly declare crossover imminent.....and repeatedly tumble back down the hill.

Whereas you were confident that it wouldnt happen before the GE right until .. it happened!

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Tuesday's Telegraph front page - "Cameron's immigration crackdown"

Anybody believe him?

nope
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Neil said:

Whereas you were confident that it wouldnt happen before the GE right until .. it happened!

I don't know who needs the tramadol more, me and Basil carrying these goalposts or the Hodges for repeatedly falling back down the hill.

"No it's there, I can see the crossover, it's there . I have one of Averys yellow boxes on this damn piece of paper telling me crossover is imminent, look. I can see the crossover....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuI23zCudKY
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    @hucks67 - if people can't think of a question to Truss without preparation, they must not be concerned by much.
  • Options
    @perdix
    I can fairly well guarantee you, that no one who had an awkward question for her, even got within shouting distance.
    The visit, while being technically unannounced, would have been cleared through security channels beforehand.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    hunchman said:

hucks67 said:

''So they could not ask her any questions''?
    Are they so dim in Somerset? How much time do they need?

I think that sometimes no matter what a minister does people will always go out of their way to dream up an excuse to criticise.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@hunchman
    At least our economy is growing, but where exactly is the "growth" coming from?
    When you work it out, look at all the other countries that are in the same boat.
    Britain may be a front runner, but the others are not all that far behind.
    ^^

I've said on here last week, confidence remains in an 'up' state until the start of October 2015. I think we're looking at a 10% stockmarket correction ideally into mid-late November, and probably somewhat more in Europe. But the ECB / Draghi still has full blown QE card to play to keep the pack of cards upright for a good while yet. But as Espirito Santo and the mainstream news ignored Bulgarian bank run showed, Europe's banking system is in a chronic state.

It seems that we're rerunning the 1920's in a way. There the timetable was:

1920-21 initial deflationary shock (including Weimar Germany)
    Response - slash interest rates to rock bottom levels.
    Mid-1920's - pretty hated stockmarket rally, a lot of nay sayers predicting a crash at any moment.
    1927/28 - higher US rates, lower European rates (as we're on the cusp of trying now)to try to divert capital flow to invest in depressed European economy (flirting in and out of recession through the 1920's with all that WW1 debt floating around)
    late 1929 - we all know that!

If you put the events since 2007 on this timeline then they show a remarkable fit so far. And once we get this necessary correction out of the way on the markets, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Dow climb strongly on higher interest rates, leaving people's heads scratching. And equally we know the inevitable end to all this madness..........It'll be a fun party whilst it lasts!
  • Options

hunchman said:

hucks67 said:

''So they could not ask her any questions''?
    Are they so dim in Somerset? How much time do they need?

I think that sometimes no matter what a minister does people will always go out of their way to dream up an excuse to criticise.
    Fail to prepare....prepare to fail. You do need some notice of an event don't you?!
  • Options
    @hunchman
    I might argue about timings and outcomes, but that pretty much sums it up.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Your very last hope is a Kinnockised assault on Ed from your media arm isn't it?

A long shot.

My very good hope is that voters will look at the choice available to them.

No guarantees, of course. I don't entirely share Jack W's faith that voters are rational.. Sometimes they are bonkers.

But it's a democracy. If people want to vote for a PM who will undoubtedly be worse even than Brown (and that is saying something), fair enough. They'll regret it of course, and very quickly.

At least Brown had some sane minders who could rein him in. Who will play the Peter Mandelson and Alastair Darling role in a putative Miliband government? Lord Adonis is sensible enough, to be sure, but I don't think will have the clout. Ed Balls is, well, Ed Balls.
    Lol.

Don't worry, Ed won't be a worse PM than liar Cameron, it's not possible. "No more top down reorganisations".
    Cameron has not lied - the reforms were all about bottom up reorganisation - GP commissioning (untill the LibDems extended it) and driving the service from the users upwards.
  • Options
    @Flightpath
    There was an article in one of the papers today, It would appear those GP's are predicting a bit of trouble ahead.
    Still, we all know what British doctors are like?
    Future American and Australian citizens. :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@hunchman
    I might argue about timings and outcomes, but that pretty much sums it up.

The timing is critical though......and as I see the 'system' creaking along to the end of next year, I think without the necessary ingredient of economic implosion for radical political change (that a lot of us want in various forms), we'll probably one way or another avoid the disruptive results in the Scottish referendum (low 40's for the Yes campaign), and somehow in a very British way we'll find a way to muddle through the GE result with a Labour Lib Dem coalition ( I think most likely) or a continuation of the status quo (I suspect that a few economic tremors, revelations from PIE and the Westminster village or some other wildcard could dampen the Tories chances).

The real radical change comes once the economic collapse comes. I give whatever the government that wins the 2015GE a maximum of 2 years to collapse in acrimony whatever that result. I said at the time that the 2010GE was the best election to lose in more than a lifetime and was wrong about that, but I really mean it this time about the 2015GE.
  • Options
    Good night to all - found this wonderfully reflective piece of music on YouTube. About time I discovered Yann Tiersen, there's still a lot of great talent eminating from France despite the wretched socialism of Mr Hollande:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=camtQULMLtA
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Smarmeron said:

Seems that some genius "borked" the estimates for the student loans book? I do hope whoever it was, wasn't counting on spending the twelve billion they estimated for selling it off, for anything important.

The surreal thing about government accounting is that they don't seem to take any notice of assets. If you're owed a load of money, and you sell those debts to somebody else at fair value, that should make basically zero difference to the amount of money you have available to spend on things, because the money you get for the loan book just replaces your future income stream from the debts.

Isn't there a way we could get the government to account for things properly so we don't incentivize politicians to play all these silly games? (See also PFI etc.)
    The essential problem is that politicians need to get re-elected, so they're on 4 year cycles and feel pressured into over-promising to the electorate.

(This is of course an age old criticism of democracy).
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @hunchman
    I will get pilloried for this, but...
    Capitalism is good at making money, and so good and proficient has it become, that it can magic money from "nowhere" at will. The flaw is that "nowhere" hasn't got the assets to back it up.
    This could do with some rethinking.
    The other point about capitalism it has become so complex, that the market and people don't quite know where to go next.
    Stop whinging about immigration, and sort things out so no one really needs to move. that's what rationality dictates, capitalism is pretty much random, even with the constraints of the buyer/seller relationship.
    It has become a sort of chaos generator again, and it's acolytes are truly fanatical.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tim_B said:

There's one great thing about Georgia politics - not a whiff of nepotism.

For the US Senate seat, Perdue (related to former gov) beating Nunn (related to former US Senator) 46% - 40%

For governor Carter, (related to former GA gov and Potus) over Deal (related to ga gov) 45%-44%.

I don't miss nepotism at all.

(both polls Rasmussen)

What's the chance of the 2020 and 2032 POTUS elections both being Bush vs Clinton affairs?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

I don't think that is right. The net present value of the loan book depends on at least four things: (a) future interest rates, (b) bad debt levels, (c) whether the expected repayments are higher or lower than expected because income has been mispredicted [this is similar to (b) but not quite the same, because (b) refers to repayments which are actually due but don't get paid, whereas this refers to whether they are due], and (d) administrative costs involved in collecting all this dosh.

It might well be that the reasoning is that, if universities have a stake in the repayments, items (b) and (c), and perhaps even (d), would come out better.
    That's why I said "basically" zero: There may be a marginal gain if the assets is better administered, or a marginal loss reflecting the fact that the buyer may be borrowing money to buy the debts and doing it more expensively than the central governmemt would. Either way this will be small compared to the total value of the asset. But even in the optimistic case, the gain you should be counting is the difference between the value of the asset if you'd administered it and the value as administered by the buyer, or less because the buyer will presumably have something in for the buyer as well as the seller. That's the money you have to spend on something nice as a result of the deal, not the total value of the asset.

Likewise with PFI: The deals may or may not be a good idea, but if they make a big difference to the amount the government thinks it has to spend on other things, there's something wonky about the way we're counting how much stuff the government has.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,223
    Charles Unlikely Jeb won't run and his son George P will likely wait until 2024. Chelsea I doubt will run either.

On Georgia some recent polls have shown Nunn ahead, could be a tight race with Perdue
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    corporeal said:

Smarmeron said:

Seems that some genius "borked" the estimates for the student loans book? I do hope whoever it was, wasn't counting on spending the twelve billion they estimated for selling it off, for anything important.

Isn't there a way we could get the government to account for things properly so we don't incentivize politicians to play all these silly games? (See also PFI etc.)
    The essential problem is that politicians need to get re-elected, so they're on 4 year cycles and feel pressured into over-promising to the electorate.

British partisan considerations are basically zero-sum with a 50/50 chance of either of Lab or Con winning the next election but one. So pass a bi-partisan Counting Things Properly Act now, with the stipulation that it doesn't take effect until 2020.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles Unlikely Jeb won't run and his son George P will likely wait until 2024. Chelsea I doubt will run either.

On Georgia some recent polls have shown Nunn ahead, could be a tight race with Perdue

Agree - my question on George P was whether he was 2020 or 2024.

Shame though!
  • Options
    edited July 2014

corporeal said:

Smarmeron said:

British partisan considerations are basically zero-sum with a 50/50 chance of either of Lab or Con winning the next election but one. So pass a bi-partisan Counting Things Properly Act now, with the stipulation that it doesn't take effect until 2020.
    "Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,223
    edited July 2014
    Charles George P is running for Texas Land Commissioner though in November, his campaign website is here http://georgepfortexas.org/, night!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Twin Peaks: the coolest characters, the sharpest looks – in pictures"

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/jul/28/-sp-twin-peaks-coolest-characters-david-lynch
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    If Ladbrokes (or whoever) wants to open a book (is that the right word?) on the mistribution futures market, I would advise them to put evens on whether Adam Gemili will be waaaaghed within the next 24 hours.
This discussion has been closed.