Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Charting the Populus “Monday effect” – the day the LAB lead

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

England accelerating now. Personally on this pitch I'd bat on tomorrow morning and try to score 700+ and collapse India under sheer weight of runs. Declaring early isn't always the most positive option; you just have to score the runs again, often more slowly, in the second innings. However that goes against the modern fashion.

At least by batting again we can give our bowlers a few hours off. If we bat for 700 by lunch tomorrow we'd possibly spend the next 8 sessions in the field which would rather tire out the bowlers
    That's the downside - and the plan certainly works better with a world class spinner. But batting on knackers the Indian bowlers too (as well as the humiliation of conceding 700+).
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

Longer term, as everyone agrees, what we need is more building in the right places. That is now beginning to happen, after the long drought of the Labour years.

Er, housebuilding is below pre-crash levels under Labour and way below the levels needed to keep pace with population growth.
    "housebuilding is below pre-crash levels under Labour "

On planet Zog, possibly. Down here is the biggest housing boom I have seen in my lifetime.
    The statistics are national rather than regional or local.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

In more important news. I'm off to Glasgow to watch the hockey tomorrow.

Are there any local customs I should be aware of, lest I get into trouble

A Glasgow Kiss is not a pleasant experience and don't put vinegar on your deep fried Mars bar/Snickers etc..
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Tissue_Price
    "and the plan certainly works better with a world class spinner"
    They should call up Richard Navabi then?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    Old news from Guido, but if ukip did win Donny North, today's claims from Labour HQ would rank as the most stupid in political history!

http://order-order.com/2014/07/28/ukip-steal-council-seat-in-milibands-doncaster-on-20-swing/
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Tissue_Price
    "and the plan certainly works better with a world class spinner"
    They should call up Richard Navabi then?

He certainly seems to be getting the better of your exchanges this afternoon.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,943
    I've got to be quite honest and say that #CrossOverMonday is turning into a let-down!

Still have ComRes (national and marginal) and YouWhatGov to go tho!
  • Options
    @Neil
    You win some, you lose some. Variation is the spice of life?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Smarmeron said:

And as if by magic, the IMF punctures complacency.
    http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/43508/

Would that be more complacent than the goverment that let 4 million people into the country and did sod all about housing and infrastructure ?
    Mr. Brooke, Nice to see you back with us again. I hope the business matters are being resolved to your satisfaction.

On the subject of which you speak, I see in the papers today people are saying that the GP system has been brought to its knees and that chunks of the NHS are on the point of collapse. None of that can have anything to do with the millions of extra people that have come to live here. Good heavens, we have been told over and over again that mass immigration is good for the Country so all those extra people must have paid for all the extra doctors, nurses, ambulances, schools, roads, railways needed to support them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Longer term, as everyone agrees, what we need is more building in the right places. That is now beginning to happen, after the long drought of the Labour years.

Er, housebuilding is below pre-crash levels under Labour and way below the levels needed to keep pace with population growth.

On planet Zog, possibly. Down here is the biggest housing boom I have seen in my lifetime.
    The stats also don't reflect the bottlenecks on building. There is currently a shortage of bricks since our ever wise banks closed too many brick factories in the recession. Now you can't get them.
  • Options
    Quite a clever tweet

Michael Heaver (@Michael_Heaver)
    28/07/2014 16:27
    In Doncaster it is a matter of vote Tory, get Miliband.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Neil
    You win some, you lose some. Variation is the spice of life?

You've won some?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,126
    Edin_Rokz said:

In more important news. I'm off to Glasgow to watch the hockey tomorrow.

Are there any local customs I should be aware of, lest I get into trouble

A Glasgow Kiss is not a pleasant experience and don't put vinegar on your deep fried Mars bar/Snickers etc..
    A kiss from the Glasgow girl I met at a conference once was a vey pleasant experience indeed!
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

Would that be more complacent than the goverment that let 4 million people into the country and did sod all about housing and infrastructure ?
    Mr. Brooke, Nice to see you back with us again. I hope the business matters are being resolved to your satisfaction.

On the subject of which you speak, I see in the papers today people are saying that the GP system has been brought to its knees and that chunks of the NHS are on the point of collapse. None of that can have anything to do with the millions of extra people that have come to live here. Good heavens, we have been told over and over again that mass immigration is good for the Country so all those extra people must have paid for all the extra doctors, nurses, ambulances, schools, roads, railways needed to support them.
    Do I detect an air of incredulity at the non-stop bollocks fed to us by our political masters ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    Jos Buttler.

Oh bollocks.

• Options
    England have declared
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Then those statistics can only make sense if housebuilding has ceased elsewhere in the country. Frankly I suggest they are complete b^llocks.
  • Options
    Who knows? In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter one iota.
    You should know that from experience?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Jos Buttler.

Oh bollocks.

Language TSE .... Language !!

• Options

Smarmeron said:

Many of those extra people ARE doctors, nurses and other similarly trained personell!
  • Options
    @OldKingCole
    "England have declared "
    War in Europe? Or is that still a month or so away?
  • Options

England have declared

That Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister.

Titters ....

• Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

Then those statistics can only make sense if housebuilding has ceased elsewhere in the country. Frankly I suggest they are complete b^llocks.
    The new National Statistician will be most depressed that you place no faith in the output of his statisticians. Could it be that your locality is small and the rest of the country is big?
  • Options
    JackW said:

England have declared

Titters ....

Ah but Scotland and Wales will make up the requisite numbers!

Grin!!
  • Options
    @Neil
    I fear a Father Ted /Dougal moment coming on.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

The new National Statistician will be most depressed that you place no faith in the output of his statisticians. Could it be that your locality is small and the rest of the country is big?
    BobaFett still in bed you reckon?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    dr_spyn said:
    Generous of Ed Balls to try to come to the rescue of his boss by posting a photo-op image which is almost as comic as the bacon butty.
  • Options

JackW said:

England have declared

Titters ....

Ah but Scotland and Wales will make up the requisite numbers!

Grin!!
    Only if both of those fine Celtic nations have gone doolally.

And OKC you should know better than leading a wretched Labour party up the garden path with promises of curtain making for Mrs Miliband.

• Options
    isam said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

I try not to spend too much time thinking about the sleeping habits of people I've never met.

• Options

Smarmeron said:

Many of those extra people ARE doctors, nurses and other similarly trained personell!
    I suppose thousands of them are, enough to cope with the rise in population? It would seem not. If you add millions of extra people to the population then there must surely be a matching increase in services and infrastructure or else the existing levels of service will crumble. In some areas that expansion must be greater than the raw numbers would suggest because of language issues etc.. Are you suggesting those increases have been made?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Someone said:
    Down here is the biggest housing boom I have seen in my lifetime. The slums of tomorrow are being thrown up everywhere one looks. As for building enough new houses to keep up with population growth, forget it. With net immigration officially running at 200,000 a year and all the other causes of new households, it cannot be done.

It could be. Bring back "Super-Mac". He presided over the construction of 500,000 new homes/year when he was Housing Minister in the 1950s.
    They need to be better designed than they were then - but that's possible, especially if the rate was 'moderated' to only 350,000 or so per year.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited July 2014
    Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

I try not to spend too much time thinking about the sleeping habits of people I've never met.

What about the people you have met?

I do worry about just where JohnO is sleeping after a PB meet.

Usually a bench in Bournemouth train station.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

dr_spyn said:
    Generous of Ed Balls to try to come to the rescue of his boss by posting a photo-op image which is almost as comic as the bacon butty.
    Maybe they were immigrants, who could only speak in pigeon English?
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

Which simply says for 13 years we didn't train enough of our own people

#Labourhorseshit
  • Options

Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

He can bunk with ColinW's Mum if he misses the last train home.

• Options

Smarmeron said:

I suppose thousands of them are, enough to cope with the rise in population? It would seem not. If you add millions of extra people to the population then there must surely be a matching increase in services and infrastructure or else the existing levels of service will crumble. In some areas that expansion must be greater than the raw numbers would suggest because of language issues etc.. Are you suggesting those increases have been made?
    No
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Cheeky monsters the both of you.
  • Options

Someone said:
    Down here is the biggest housing boom I have seen in my lifetime. The slums of tomorrow are being thrown up everywhere one looks. As for building enough new houses to keep up with population growth, forget it. With net immigration officially running at 200,000 a year and all the other causes of new households, it cannot be done.

It could be. Bring back "Super-Mac". He presided over the construction of 500,000 new homes/year when he was Housing Minister in the 1950s.
    They need to be better designed than they were then - but that's possible, especially if the rate was 'moderated' to only 350,000 or so per year.

300+ houses are proposed for our small (5k) town. Opposition posters are appearing in windows, there’s a petition being circulated, MP’, Councillors are being lobbied and an Action Group is being set up.

Just saying!
  • Options

Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

I have no such qualms about JohnO.

I have long since regarded him as Hersham's Ambassador Extraordinaire and High Plenipotentiary At Large .... to anywhere with a railway connection.

• Options
    "They [Houses] need to be better designed than they were then [1950s] - but that's possible, especially if the rate was 'moderated' to only 350,000 or so per year."

Have you ever been on a modern house building site? Jerry build doesn't even begin to describe the wretched hovels the builders are throwing up and charging vast amounts of money for, and all quite legally in line with building regs too. I am amazed that the banks will give mortgages on them.

(P.S. Did MacMillan really manage 500,000 houses a year? Wasn't the peak in England in the 1950s was a tad less tan 300,000, could building in Scotland, Wales and NI gave made up the difference?)
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Hhmmm ....

It reminds me of the Sergeant Wilson and Mrs Pike entanglement ....

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

"They [Houses] need to be better designed than they were then [1950s] - but that's possible, especially if the rate was 'moderated' to only 350,000 or so per year."

Have you ever been on a modern house building site? Jerry build doesn't even begin to describe the wretched hovels the builders are throwing up and charging vast amounts of money for, and all quite legally in line with building regs too. I am amazed that the banks will give mortgages on them.

(P.S. Did MacMillan really manage 500,000 houses a year? Wasn't the peak in England in the 1950s was a tad less tan 300,000, could building in Scotland, Wales and NI gave made up the difference?)

I take your point about spec built houses and Parker Morris council housing was spacious and built to a good standard. 50's housing and the inter war (Metroland) stuff was not that bad. But I do think you overstate your case. I do not think modern housing is jerry built. I am not sure the design is brilliant - at times naff - and the architecture is usually non existent.
  • Options

Someone said:

300+ houses are proposed for our small (5k) town. Opposition posters are appearing in windows, there’s a petition being circulated, MP’, Councillors are being lobbied and an Action Group is being set up.

Just saying!
    Its OK, Mr. Cole, as you will discover Cameron's pledge on localism will kick in. Remember how he promised that local communities will have a real say over development in their area. So in due course the local community will have its say and then, on the say so of a Government Inspector, the houses will be built. Cameron's pledges in action.

I just wish I had sufficient rich friends to go fracking in and around Whitney, or maybe a 5,000 home social housing project. I am bloody sure neither project would get permission and no government inspector would over turn the local council's decision.

I sometimes surprise myself over the depth of my disgust for Cameron.
  • Options

Someone said:

Just saying!
    You make a good point. Today I was just glancing at the Oxfordshire Guardian in our library. Two housing projects were mentioned in the first 4 pages and both were being delayed in the planning process because of objections. And then people wonder why we are not building enough houses.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2014
    Warby J has today handed down his reasons for certain directions made by the High Court on 24 July in Mitchell MP v NGN and Rowland v Mitchell MP ([2014] EWHC 2615 (QB)). Both actions will be tried by a judge alone, without a jury. There will be a joint trial of certain preliminary issues, listed for 17 November 2014. This will include the meaning of the words complained of in both particulars of claim, the justification defences pleaded by both defendants in both actions, and the allegation that at all material times Mr Mitchell knew that the allegations complained of by PC Rowland were baseless. Mitchell MP v NGN has been fixed for trial in December 2014. There has, of course, been speculation that Rowland v Mitchell MP was to be settled.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    What else would you pose with on twitter but a pigeon?
  • Options

I take your point about spec built houses and Parker Morris council housing was spacious and built to a good standard. 50's housing and the inter war (Metroland) stuff was not that bad. But I do think you overstate your case. I do not think modern housing is jerry built. I am not sure the design is brilliant - at times naff - and the architecture is usually non existent.
    Crumbs, Mr. Path, if you think that then take yourself down to your local building site, make friends with the site boss (pretending to be a buy to let landlord looking to buy off-plan is a good wheeze), and have a walk round. Having done that, if you think I am exaggerating then the beers are on me.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    GIN1138 said:

I've got to be quite honest and say that #CrossOverMonday is turning into a let-down!

My prediction of a spread around a 3% lead is looking good so far!

Thanks for the various tips re China and the comments re the EU, by the way - got sidetracked and am just catching up.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,879

England accelerating now. Personally on this pitch I'd bat on tomorrow morning and try to score 700+ and collapse India under sheer weight of runs. Declaring early isn't always the most positive option; you just have to score the runs again, often more slowly, in the second innings. However that goes against the modern fashion.

At least by batting again we can give our bowlers a few hours off. If we bat for 700 by lunch tomorrow we'd possibly spend the next 8 sessions in the field which would rather tire out the bowlers
    That was the argument used on Sky at lunchtime.
    Sky have a vested interest in it not being a four-day test, though.

• Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

The stats also don't reflect the bottlenecks on building. There is currently a shortage of bricks since our ever wise banks closed too many brick factories in the recession. Now you can't get them.
    If you check you can see that brick factories can reopen.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28437677

Is any shortage down to banks?
    http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/07/22/demand-for-bricks-means-dozens-of-new-jobs-as-moth-balled-plant-is-revived/
    'Wienerberger owns the famous Baggeridge brand of bricks after buying the Sedgley-based company in 2006 for £89 million.
    Following that deal most of the brick production at the Sedgley site was transferred to other factories and it was closed in 2009. The site is now due to be redeveloped for housing.'

https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/smartinvestor/investing-ideas/why-british-bricks-are-a-surprisingly-scarce-commodity.html

“The industry is estimated to currently have a capacity in excess of 2bn bricks.
    “Given a more normal demand curve with the factories all running for a full year in 2014 the industry should be more than able to cope with prospective demand.
    “Working through Christmas and opening new kilns - allied to better liaison with the industry and better planning, will help ensure supply meets demand and also maintain stockpiles.”
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/brick-shortage-hitting-greater-manchester-6727351

Bricks and blocks are still probably the best thing to build houses with - but they are not the only option.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    What else would you pose with on twitter but a pigeon?
    Wouldn't it make a delightful subject for a caption contest?
  • Options
    O/T

Based on a World Health Organisation report in today's Daily Telegraph:

How likely is Ebola to reach Britain?
    There has been a previous case in the UK, when in 1976 someone was accidentally infected in a laboratory, but survived.
    And up until a few weeks ago, the cases were mainly in remote areas affecting rural workers unlikely to take flights and spread the disease internationally.
    However, concern is now growing that this large outbreak is spreading beyond the rural areas of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone - where it has been concentrated so far - and into the capital cities and beyond.
    A Liberian man died in Nigeria on July 24, having flown in to Lagos after a stopover in Togo. That the man died in Africa's largest city has deeply worried authorities.
    There have been no Ebola cases from people returning to the UK from Africa.
    Guinea is not a big tourist destination with only around 2,600 visits a year from the UK, mostly on business - but 117,000 Britons visit Nigeria each year.
    Travellers who may have been exposed to the Ebola virus in West Africa should seek urgent medical attention immediately if symptoms develop within 21 days of coming home. UK doctors who suspect Ebola can get expert advice from the Imported Fever Service.
    Public Health England says the risk of a traveller contracting Ebola is very low without direct contact with the blood or body fluids of an infected person or animal
  • Options
    @Flightpath
    Are you sure that is a pigeon he is holding, or did someone think it looked like a pigeon and you just piled in without thinking?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

Huh?
    ''The IMF today published its assessment of the state Britain’s economy, days after upgrading its growth forecast to 3.2% this year and 2.7% in 2015''
    ''The overall picture of the recovery is that “prospects are promising” ''

Will the IMF care to confront all the NIMBYs standing in the way of building more homes?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Someone said:

Just saying!
    You make a good point. Today I was just glancing at the Oxfordshire Guardian in our library. Two housing projects were mentioned in the first 4 pages and both were being delayed in the planning process because of objections. And then people wonder why we are not building enough houses.
    Then you have crazy developments in my part of Oxford. Over the past 3 years, about 40 new residences (mainly 'executive' apartments) have been added to my immediate vicinity (less than 100m from my front door) - and none of them have any parking and none of them have any parking rights (not even a visitor parking permit allocation.) Yes, there is a lot of rental demand in Oxford - but even renters expect to be able to park near their home. So not only are we not building the right quantity of houses (due, at least in part, to objections) but when homes are being built, they are often not the right sort of homes that the local communities actually need.

Something has to give - and quickly.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Someone said:

Just saying!
    Nimbyism is a (if not the) major problem.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Someone said:

Just saying!
    Its OK, Mr. Cole, as you will discover Cameron's pledge on localism will kick in. Remember how he promised that local communities will have a real say over development in their area. So in due course the local community will have its say and then, on the say so of a Government Inspector, the houses will be built. Cameron's pledges in action.

I just wish I had sufficient rich friends to go fracking in and around Whitney, or maybe a 5,000 home social housing project. I am bloody sure neither project would get permission and no government inspector would over turn the local council's decision.

Unfortunately it runs from top to bottom in the Tory party.

In Newark the local council in conjunction with a developer made an application in secret for the town to be granted Growth Point status. On the back of this a town of around 35,000 people is now expected to increase in size by at least 50% in the next decade. When it became public knowledge that the application had been accepted there was huge public outcry and the defence of the council was that it had been necessary to conduct the application in secret because of the sensitive commercial interests of the developer.

Lying Tory politicians are to be found at every level of government I am afraid.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

O/T

There has been a previous case in the UK, when in 1976 someone was accidentally infected in a laboratory, but survived.
    And up until a few weeks ago, the cases were mainly in remote areas affecting rural workers unlikely to take flights and spread the disease internationally.
    However, concern is now growing that this large outbreak is spreading beyond the rural areas of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone - where it has been concentrated so far - and into the capital cities and beyond.
    A Liberian man died in Nigeria on July 24, having flown in to Lagos after a stopover in Togo. That the man died in Africa's largest city has deeply worried authorities.
    Guinea is not a big tourist destination with only around 2,600 visits a year from the UK, mostly on business - but 117,000 Britons visit Nigeria each year.
    Travellers who may have been exposed to the Ebola virus in West Africa should seek urgent medical attention immediately if symptoms develop within 21 days of coming home. UK doctors who suspect Ebola can get expert advice from the Imported Fever Service.
    Public Health England says the risk of a traveller contracting Ebola is very low without direct contact with the blood or body fluids of an infected person or animal

According to CNN, it also includes sweat and if someone sneezes near you. A disease almost purpose built for transmission via passenger aircraft.
  • Options

Someone said:

Just saying!

In Newark the local council in conjunction with a developer made an application in secret for the town to be granted Growth Point status. On the back of this a town of around 35,000 people is now expected to increase in size by at least 50% in the next decade. When it became public knowledge that the application had been accepted there was huge public outcry and the defence of the council was that it had been necessary to conduct the application in secret because of the sensitive commercial interests of the developer.

Lying Tory politicians are to be found at every level of government I am afraid.
    Do you think the current level of housebuilding is sufficient or do you think that it's too low but that the extra houses should be built elsewhere?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Limiting factor on new building is materials - unless Ed has a guttering extrusion tool up his sleeve he can do naff all.
  • Options
    @Flightpath
    Cameron could do the same for housing as he has done for fapping...I mean.fracking?
    At least he will not allow it in places of natural beauty....or come to that, wherever one of his MP's is in a marginal (Foreign energy oligarchs may apply for dispensation of course).
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Evening all

Some one should confiscate the good Lord's pogo stick..
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    May I say how informative the Scottish Referendum threads have become on Pb,thanks largely to the Yes campaign contributors.I have adopted the position of my union,Unite,and taken a position of neutrality, as an united group of workers can bargain, but a divided group of workers has to beg.If I had a vote I would sway to Yes as I hate the English Tories too,and the Scottish ones as well,and I do not want to be ruled by them either.
    From a betting point of view I'm on Yes 40-45 with cover on 35-40 and have seen nothing to change that position although the debate is fascinating.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Hello everyone,

I'm fairly sure my last post a few weeks ago name checked the Book of Revelations. I, of course, did not have enough spiritual attitude to be able to cope with such theological scattergunning - hense my absence.

However, I am back - and since I am a good sportsman I will make you all aware that I have a very decent copy of the Tao Te Ching at my disposable.

That is all.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

O/T

According to CNN, it also includes sweat and if someone sneezes near you. A disease almost purpose built for transmission via passenger aircraft.
    If that's really the case, then we're all probably doomed!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    There are two very simple right-wing solution to our artificially high housing costs. Abolish the green belt and a massive relaxation on planning laws. A presumption to let people build on their land what they want to, unless there is a very good reason not to - rather than a presumption that nothing can be done unless a government body says it is OK.

If that causes a collapse in house prices, great.
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    "I have a very decent copy of the Tao Te Ching at my disposable."

Order the braised duck breast with water chestnuts ,and a special fried rice (No. 42)
    Superb, and very reasonable.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Someone said:

Just saying!

Do you think the current level of housebuilding is sufficient or do you think that it's too low but that the extra houses should be built elsewhere?

Good old, Mr. Neil, the rich developers friend. How about asking the alternative question, "How the feck can this sort of application, with all the inevitable effect on the environment, ever be held in secret? Who came up with the law that allowed that?"
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    corporeal said:

Someone said:

Just saying!
    And what is the solution? The back yards that people get nimbyish about are also called "the countryside" and are generally regarded as an asset of the country as a whole. If you think we can no longer afford to have a countryside, that's a point of view, but disagreeing with it cannot be dismissed with imported insults (the English for "back yard" is "back garden").

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Limiting factor on new building is materials - unless Ed has a guttering extrusion tool up his sleeve he can do naff all.

When I was back in Yorkshire about a decade ago, a builder wanted to build a sub-division of about 40 houses. He had the land lined up, and the designs (only a couple unfortunately) were OK. Then the planning folks got involved - there were problems with too many houses having double garages, lack of bicycle parking racks (!), and they wanted the builder to swap several homes for 'affordable homes', the effect of which would be to reduce the price of all the homes. Eventually the builder walked away as he couldn't make money with all the nonsense.

Similarly when the commercial development of Macarthur Glen near York was being planned, the developers had a knock down drag out fight with the planning folks as they wanted them to have fewer parking spaces and more bicycle spaces. You can't carry much home from a discount mall on a bicycle.

Materials is the least of the limiting factors. The planning folks simply don't get that developers need to make money on these schemes. Once there's enough infrastructure to satisfy the need - roads, water and sewage etc - they need to back off, once the homes or development meets current building code.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    Tim_B said:

O/T

Ebola reaching London could be a sort of "black swan" event. Never mind being the TB capital of the world.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmy -

But of course - Food, Politics and Religion - Can one ever be safe.

While if others joined us for this potent post office hours discussion I feel I should continue.

In the spirit of dialogue - I shall suffice to say - that I like Chinese food.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Neil said:

I think that housebuilding should be sustainable and that simply sticking extra estates onto the side of existing settlements is not the answer. Housebuilding should be for the benefit of the country not developers and as such where they build should be dictated by the community. Brownfield sites should be redeveloped first and then I would look seriously at new towns. Many of the existing settlements such as Newark have street plans and services which are entirely unsuited to large scale peripheral development.

Whatever happens it is completely unacceptable for local government to keep plans secret from the public until it is too late for them to do anything about it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

corporeal said:

Someone said:

Just saying!
    And what is the solution? The back yards that people get nimbyish about are also called "the countryside" and are generally regarded as an asset of the country as a whole. If you think we can no longer afford to have a countryside, that's a point of view, but disagreeing with it cannot be dismissed with imported insults (the English for "back yard" is "back garden").

No.
    Only very rarely are houses built or proposed to be built in places they would 'ruin the countryside'.
    BTW there are of course hundreds of thousands of long term empty homes around.
  • Options

Good old, Mr. Neil, the rich developers friend. How about asking the alternative question, "How the feck can this sort of application, with all the inevitable effect on the environment, ever be held in secret? Who came up with the law that allowed that?"

I asked the question I was interested in. I presume any proposed developments in a location granted Growth Point status remain subject to the usual planning process.

• Options

There are two very simple right-wing solution to our artificially high housing costs. Abolish the green belt and a massive relaxation on planning laws. A presumption to let people build on their land what they want to, unless there is a very good reason not to - rather than a presumption that nothing can be done unless a government body says it is OK.

If that causes a collapse in house prices, great.

Mr. Thompson, nice idea just some small niggles. When someone builds on a plot of land then there are implications for others, sewage for example - has to go somewhere and someone has to provide he means for it to do so - fresh water is another one, access and effects on traffic might be a third, unreasonable effects on the lives of people already living nearby. Gosh the list is nearly endless. Perhaps someone needs to adjudicate on a development to ensure its costs to the community do not outweigh its benefits to said community. We could call it the planning system, set down some regulations and guidelines and involve local councillors in making the decisions.
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    Chinese chicken curry with mushroom and peppers for me tonight.......but home made.
    I can never get fried rice to turn out well, I could do some pretty good rice cakes while trying though?
  • Options

Neil said:

I think that housebuilding should be sustainable and that simply sticking extra estates onto the side of existing settlements is not the answer. Housebuilding should be for the benefit of the country not developers and as such where they build should be dictated by the community. Brownfield sites should be redeveloped first and then I would look seriously at new towns. Many of the existing settlements such as Newark have street plans and services which are entirely unsuited to large scale peripheral development.

Whatever happens it is completely unacceptable for local government to keep plans secret from the public until it is too late for them to do anything about it.
    I take that to be a long-winded way of saying we need more homes .. somewhere else.

Why is it too late to do anything about a particular development in Newark? Does Growth Point status allow the planning process to be bypassed?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmy-

I always go for boiled rice - healthy option innit.

As long as I don't drink myself to oblivion I should hopefully be able to manage a Chinese chicken curry ready meal - So Snap.
  • Options

May I say how informative the Scottish Referendum threads have become on Pb,thanks largely to the Yes campaign contributors.I have adopted the position of my union,Unite,and taken a position of neutrality, as an united group of workers can bargain, but a divided group of workers has to beg.If I had a vote I would sway to Yes as I hate the English Tories too,and the Scottish ones as well,and I do not want to be ruled by them either.
    From a betting point of view I'm on Yes 40-45 with cover on 35-40 and have seen nothing to change that position although the debate is fascinating.

Funny that. I hate Scottish socialists who in recent times have doen more to ruin Britain than anything. I hope the rest of Scotland saves you from yourself.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Neil said:

I have no idea what 'sustainable' house building is. Obviously nobody is going to build a 500 home estate in Burnsall or Buckden.

House building should be for the benefit of the homeowner, and of course for the 'benefit' of the developer, who makes money by doing so, whether on new or brownfield sites.

I can't comment on your last statement about keeping stuff secret from the public as I know nothing about it.
  • Options

Someone said:

Just saying!
    Coming back to my earlier post, I'm in two minds about the development in the community where I live. 300 or so house means at least 1000 people as a start, taking the population to about 6000. The development will fill in an area between a trunk road and a housing estate, which is currently agricultural BUT has footpaths which are popular with walkers, both with and without dogs. We'd need one-and-a-bit more doctors, probably another dentist (preferably NHS) and an enlargement of the pharmacy, although that can probably be managed. We've some empty shops, but a medium sized supermarket is being built ...... that was in process long before this plan saw the light of day. Road access to our town isn't too bad, although improvement's needed.. The development includes a school and a small industrial estate.
    So TBH I don't think I'm very against what's proposed, although I've got to keep my head down for a bit!
  • Options
    Mr Husrslama says -
    ''as you will discover Cameron's pledge on localism will kick in. Remember how he promised that local communities will have a real say over development in their area. So in due course the local community will have its say and then, on the say so of a Government Inspector, the houses will be built.''

Yes -- The Localism Act 2011
    https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/giving-communities-more-power-in-planning-local-development

''To give people more control over the development of their local area, we are:
    giving communities the power to set the priorities for local development through neighbourhood planning
    requiring local planning authorities to draw up clear, up-to-date Local Plans that conforms with the National Planning Policy Framework, meets local development needs and reflects local people’s views of how they wish their area to develop
    giving councils the power to raise money to support local infrastructure through the community infrastructure levy
    also giving communities the right to receive and spend a proportion of community infrastructure levy funds on the local facilities they want
    giving councils new powers to stop unwanted development on gardens (so-called ‘garden grabbing’) ''

My own community is writing up its own plan now. All the above might be seen as bureaucratic, but what real alternative is there in the real world.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Neil said:

Why is it too late to do anything about a particular development in Newark? Does Growth Point status allow the planning process to be bypassed?

No, of course not, it's Richard T getting a bit over-enthusiastic with his 'blame everything on the Tories' riff:

A New Growth Point is not a statutory designation, but rather the
    Government’s response to invitations from areas where there is a good
    case for accelerated, additional economic and housing growth, and where
    it can be shown to relieve pressure on high demand areas and tackle
    affordability issues. Acceptance of proposals by Government does not
    pre-empt scrutiny in the context of regional and local planning, but rather
    they are to be subject to robust testing and public consultation through
    these regional and local planning processes.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100528142817/http:/www.gos.gov.uk/497296/docs/229865/Panel_Report.pdf

Para 3.13.

The applications was supported by all three political parties represented on the council and it all seems to have gone through the normal stages of interminable Strategic Plans and Public Consultations, as you would expect.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,879

Neil said:

If you build houses on the "brownfield" sites, where are you going to build the shops, offices, warehouses and factories we need for the hundreds of thousands of jobs we still need to get rid of unemployment?

• Options

Mr Husrslama says -
    ''as you will discover Cameron's pledge on localism will kick in. Remember how he promised that local communities will have a real say over development in their area. So in due course the local community will have its say and then, on the say so of a Government Inspector, the houses will be built.''

Yes -- The Localism Act 2011
    https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/giving-communities-more-power-in-planning-local-development

''To give people more control over the development of their local area, we are:
    giving communities the power to set the priorities for local development through neighbourhood planning
    requiring local planning authorities to draw up clear, up-to-date Local Plans that conforms with the National Planning Policy Framework, meets local development needs and reflects local people’s views of how they wish their area to develop
    giving councils the power to raise money to support local infrastructure through the community infrastructure levy
    also giving communities the right to receive and spend a proportion of community infrastructure levy funds on the local facilities they want
    giving councils new powers to stop unwanted development on gardens (so-called ‘garden grabbing’) ''

My own community is writing up its own plan now. All the above might be seen as bureaucratic, but what real alternative is there in the real world.

Mr. Path, I know all about that nonsense. We have been through it locally. When the Local Council rejects an application at the end of the day the Government Inspector comes along and agrees to whatever the developer wants.
  • Options
    One of the real problems in new housing in the UK seems to be the pathological objections the planning folks seem to have to any new roads and cars in general.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Apols if already reported, but there's an unexpected poll (by YG) of Londoners only in the Standard to add to GIN's fun. Main figures are Lab 45 (+3 on June), Con 35 (nc), LD 8 (nc), UKIP 8 (-2), Oth 4 (nc). Other findings are that people think Boris is doing a good job (60-29, though was 64-27 in June) but feel he shouldn't stand for Parliament while still Mayor 43-37) and should resign as Mayor if he does (50-34). Housing and transport are thought the most important London issues for the Mator (58% and 55%) by a large margin.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

My prediction of a spread around a 3% lead is looking good so far!

Thanks for the various tips re China and the comments re the EU, by the way - got sidetracked and am just catching up.
    I don't think I've posted any tip's about China or comments Re. EU, but I'll take the plaudits anyway... ;)

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Tim_B said:

One of the real problems in new housing in the UK seems to be the pathological objections the planning folks seem to have to any new roads and cars in general.

Build new roads, Mr. B.? Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water. A disgusting idea long laid to rest by that magnificent and sagacious Secretary of State for Transport (and the regions and other things that he could not pronounce let alone remember), the Right Honourable John Prescott.

As Mr Prescott pronounced new roads are evil, the encourage the use of motor vehicles and we shall build no more of them (I paraphrase slightly). Thus it is we have a new town, not just a new estate, being built outside Horsham, but not a single new road outside its boundaries, nor a single new tramway or railway or hospital or just about any other damn bit of infrastructure. The plan I understand is for upwards of thirty thousand new residents, that is about twenty thousand new motor cars on the roads, and estimated forty thousand new car journeys per day. But not a solitary new road.

P.S. Hope the doggie is well, we may need her come next May
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    edited July 2014

Tim_B said:

Build new roads, Mr. B.? Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water. A disgusting idea long laid to rest by that magnificent and sagacious Secretary of State for Transport (and the regions and other things that he could not pronounce let alone remember), the Right Honourable John Prescott.

As Mr Prescott pronounced new roads are evil, the encourage the use of motor vehicles and we shall build no more of them (I paraphrase slightly). Thus it is we have a new town, not just a new estate, being built outside Horsham, but not a single new road outside its boundaries, nor a single new tramway or railway or hospital or just about any other damn bit of infrastructure. The plan I understand is for upwards of thirty thousand new residents, that is about twenty thousand new motor cars on the roads, and estimated forty thousand new car journeys per day. But not a solitary new road.

P.S. Hope the doggie is well, we may need her come next May
    I remember having a discussion with a Camden councillor who was very keen on green ideas, many of which were quite sensible (like insulating homes properly etc). He said to me that there was absolutely no need for anyone in Camden to have a car. So I asked him how a working mother with 3 children under 5 (as I then was) was supposed to do food shopping without a car or even just get around with the family, at which point he muttered a load of nonsense and retreated into generalities.

Too many politicians see it as their duty to tell people how to live rather than try and understand the realities of peoples lives and make life easier for them. It sometimes feels as if politicians are out to punish us for daring to try and make our lives better.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    Comedy results out yet ?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    A question for those Roman experts among us.

I've started reading the Vespasian saga by Robert Fabbri, and the first few chapters are good.

How realistic is it?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    dr_spyn said:
    Inevitable - but I have found the way this has developed to be disconcerting to say the least.

Only two people know what happened in the incident at the heart of his decision. Yet others have presumed to know and have decided that they have the right to be judge and jury on it.

That is not good for justice or democracy.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New ComRes phone poll coming up for the Indy. One big mover. Out at 10pm
  • Options

New ComRes phone poll coming up for the Indy. One big mover. Out at 10pm

Is that a big mover compared to the last ComRes poll (for IOS/Sunday Mirror) or big mover compared to last phone poll?
This discussion has been closed.