Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There can be no getting round the fact that Tories are stil

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There can be no getting round the fact that Tories are still being the most hurt by the UKIP surge

The above chart is based on the aggregate data from Lord Ashcroft’s latest round of CON-LAB marginals polling which had a total sample of 14,004.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    The counter-argument to this is that the ex-Cons may be in the most solid 10%, while the suppprt UKIP need to hit 15% or 20% may pull more heavily from Labour. If that's right then it may actually be helpful to Con to talk up UKIP-friendly issues, especially if they're shooting to deny Lab a majority rather than to get one of their own.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    But will 2010 non-voters actually turn out in 2015? Surely conventional polling wisdom is to discount DNVs as serial non-voters.

Labour's strategy seems awfully risky: say nothing; hope ex-LD switchers remain; hope UKIP hurts the Tories. And now hope that DNVs vote.
  • Options
    GertrudeGertrude Posts: 8

But will 2010 non-voters actually turn out in 2015? Surely conventional polling wisdom is to discount DNVs as serial non-voters.

Labour's strategy seems awfully risky: say nothing; hope ex-LD switchers remain; hope UKIP hurts the Tories. And now hope that DNVs vote.

Non voters voting UKIP makes no material difference to Labour unless they were otherwise minded to back the Tories, which there is no evidence that they were. We have already seen some evidence of non voters turning out for UKIP in local and European elections where they have come from nowhere. Labour will get more non voters in 2010 than other parties for the simple reason that they will do better with first time voters than other parties. I agree that the implied approach to UKIP is risky, it would make more sense to tackle the reasons that former Labour voters are switching to UKIP, which are in many cases different from those of ex Tories. That said, some of the 2010 Tories who have gone UKIP initially went to Labour in 2012 when they were in the 40s in the polls, and may be some of those working class voters who were lifelong Labour who voted tory for the first time in 2010.
  • Options
    non-voters gonna non-vote
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

non-voters gonna non-vote

Agreed. Which means that if UKIP are currently, say 12%, then approximately 5% of their supposed support is not going to show up. Hence their lower score with pollsters that filter for certainty to vote.

Of that 12% on these figures about 3.7% worth voted Tory the last time. Losing those to UKIP if they do will clearly hurt in some seats but in many it will make no difference.

The interesting thing for me is whether there is likely to be differential behaviour of such voters where their votes do matter. If, for example, they live in a Con/Lab marginal are they more likely to return to the tories than if they live in a safe tory seat?

The evidence on here is that they will but those who post on a political blog like this are far from typical and many voters may not appreciate the implications of their choice unless this is made repeatedly clear to them. Which, in marginals, it will be.

There is also the factor that if the Tories poll 36% (big if admittedly) they will have replaced that lost 3.7% with more centrist support which might be in more useful places than the support they have lost.

There is no question that UKIP is a problem for the tories, that it makes the election more complex for them and that at the margins UKIP on 8% is more likely than not to cost them more seats than it will cost Labour. In a close election this may well be significant but it still needs to be kept in proportion.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Nothing can be taken for granted re UKIP. The present 11 -15% in the polls will surely rise once the Campaign proper gets under way after the September conference. It will be a gruelling 7 month's for all the parties, but strangely it gives more time for UKIP to make it's mark, be mentioned and noticed. All the fault of course of the Coalition 5 year parliament agreement. In a normal 6 week campaign maybe UKIP could have been brushed aside.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeK said:

Nothing can be taken for granted re UKIP. The present 11 -15% in the polls will surely rise once the Campaign proper gets under way after the September conference. It will be a gruelling 7 month's for all the parties, but strangely it gives more time for UKIP to make it's mark, be mentioned and noticed. All the fault of course of the Coalition 5 year parliament agreement. In a normal 6 week campaign maybe UKIP could have been brushed aside.

I think the 11-15 kipper vote will be squeezed in a campaign. We will only see those sorts of figures in safe seats where it matters little.

I agree with Mike that there is no reason for Eds team to support a BOO referendum, and lots to lose. We know that Europe is way down the batting order for most voters, even most kippers. You could promise them the moon on a stick and they still would note vote for Ed. Far better to come up with a coherent vision of a sustainable future plan for Britain and put it before the electorate.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ed Miliband’s problem is not so much that he looks like Wallace. He should look at the films of the great Nick Park to see what has gone wrong. As soon as he was elected leader of the Labour party, he woke up, pressed for assistance on his special gizmo, and then he was shot through a hatch in the floor into a sinister pair of automatic steel leggings that are moving him irresistibly away from Blairism and in a direction of Leftist irrelevance. He hasn’t got the wrong face – he’s wearing the wrong trousers! And who is the blinking-eyed penguin who is controlling him? It’s Len McCluskey and the unions, of course.

Ed Miliband is absolutely right to say that politics should be about ideas, and he is right to say that these should be more important than image. But the awful fact – confirmed by this speech – is that, frankly, Miliband’s image and photo-opportunities are the best things he has in his political programme.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10994451/Ed-Wallace-Milibands-problem-is-that-hes-wearing-the-wrong-trousers.html
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    For Nick Palmer (FPT)

I cannot remember why I chose it, and if I ask a question its because I would like an answer, rather churlish of you to suggest otherwise.
    Its perfectly reasonable to ask how popular Ed is in the marginal constituencies, it might well be affecting the voting outcome.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ed Miliband’s problem is not so much that he looks like Wallace. He should look at the films of the great Nick Park to see what has gone wrong. As soon as he was elected leader of the Labour party, he woke up, pressed for assistance on his special gizmo, and then he was shot through a hatch in the floor into a sinister pair of automatic steel leggings that are moving him irresistibly away from Blairism and in a direction of Leftist irrelevance. He hasn’t got the wrong face – he’s wearing the wrong trousers! And who is the blinking-eyed penguin who is controlling him? It’s Len McCluskey and the unions, of course.

Ed Miliband is absolutely right to say that politics should be about ideas, and he is right to say that these should be more important than image. But the awful fact – confirmed by this speech – is that, frankly, Miliband’s image and photo-opportunities are the best things he has in his political programme.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10994451/Ed-Wallace-Milibands-problem-is-that-hes-wearing-the-wrong-trousers.html

A lot of words from Boris.. Does he mean Ed's policies are a "pyramid of piffle"?
  • Options
    I've just seen the footage of Ed Miliband's appearance on Marr - where he gets handed a wonderful but truly cruel picture of himself as Wallace just after Marr asks him about his appalling ratings. Some reactions:

1. He seems a genuinely pleasant and forgiving man. Whilst my political opinion of him couldn't sink much further my personal opinion of him was much enhanced.
    2. He's not up to being PM. Policy wise. Image wise. He'll be a disaster PM. Hollande in Downing Street. Labour chose themselves a duffer.
    3. He's in the wrong profession. For a clever, ambitious and pleasant man to subject himself to the grinding abuse of politics seems a great shame.
    4. For the first time I have decided I like Ed Miliband. Just keep him well away from the levers of power.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

A lot of words from Boris.. Does he mean Ed's policies are a "pyramid of piffle"?

He does have a way with words. I liked

"It doesn’t matter, if you are a politician, whether you approach a bacon sarnie with the daintiness of Barbara Cartland or the carnivorous savagery of Luis Suárez."

"the carnivorous savagery of Luis Suarez". Love it.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    I think Ed is moving towards the concept Chris Mullin mentioned in his acceptance speech in 1997.
    "Britain will be governed in the interests of all, not just those of the fortunate.”

Because it appears to many that Cameron and Osborne look after the already fortunate.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and another Monday so silly poll time. Will it be the usual larger Labour leads which slip as the week progresses or will they break the recent routine? Will the Ashcroft poll show another silly bounce and leave us all totally bemused? Will OGH publish a thread which doesn't have an anti-Tory theme? Answers on the back of a fag packet.
  • Options
    The problem is that Labour's concept of 'interests of all' means borrowing and spending. And ruining the public finances is actually in nobody's interest. If Labour could find it in itself to manage a fairness agenda within the envelope of a balanced budget they might not fail so catastrophically every time they get into power.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I think Ed is moving towards the concept Chris Mullin mentioned in his acceptance speech in 1997.
    "Britain will be governed in the interests of all, not just those of the fortunate.”

Because it appears to many that Cameron and Osborne look after the already fortunate.

Britain was governed in the interests of Tony Blair, irrespective of what they said.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

The problem is that Labour's concept of 'interests of all' means borrowing and spending. And ruining the public finances is actually in nobody's interest. If Labour could find it in itself to manage a fairness agenda within the envelope of a balanced budget they might not fail so catastrophically every time they get into power.

Fail catastrophically? Labour in 1951 had the highest vote share they’ve ever had. It was the electoral system that cost them, as it will Cameron next year!
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

For Nick Palmer (FPT)

I cannot remember why I chose it, and if I ask a question its because I would like an answer, rather churlish of you to suggest otherwise.
    Its perfectly reasonable to ask how popular Ed is in the marginal constituencies, it might well be affecting the voting outcome.

Oh look, it's one of the passive-aggressive gang again!

• Options

Is it in the interests of "all" that energy companies are disincentivised from making essential investment in UK energy infrastructure, a situation he significantly contributed to when last in government?

Is it in the interests of "all" that the admittedly limited opportunities given to the disadvantaged by Free Schools and Academies should be further restricted?

Is it in the interests of "all" that Labour simply refuse to address, let alone make proposals to deal with, a fiscal deficit that remains our largest single economic problem?

It really is not enough for a putative PM to hide behind such bland nonsense.

• Options
    Patrick said:

1) the other lot do not seem to be doing as well as advertised in budget-balancing
    2) which begs the question of whether balanced budgets are a panacea
    3) the global financial crisis was not caused by Labour's budget or Labour's regulation or Labour's bacon sandwiches.
  • Options

Britain was governed in the interests of Tony Blair, irrespective of what they said.
    Ah, but Tony believed he was right, and that, as any moral philosopher will tell you, is all that counts.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Patrick said:

Fail catastrophically? Labour in 1951 had the highest vote share they’ve ever had. It was the electoral system that cost them, as it will Cameron next year!
    Labour has never reached the total votes John Major achieved in 1992. Ed Milibland is the new Michael Foot. Time to start looking at the marginal Labour seats which will be falling next year.
  • Options

For Nick Palmer (FPT)

Oh look its Innocent , minding someone else's business again...
  • Options

For Nick Palmer (FPT)

Let's go through your options, shall we, SR? Then we can make a book - it's a betting site, after all.

(1) You continue to jibe, self-pity & generally behave in a tiresome way. (1-4)
    (2) You ask Mike Smithson to ban me. (7-4)
    (3) You suggest we both knock it on the head and try to behave like grown-ups (100-30)
    (4) We both convert to Islam (200-1)

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I do not think that true of the 97 government. TB was immensely popular and New Labour a breath of fresh air after the cones hotline and cabinet bastards years, which is why in 2001 he won a second landslide. The problems came after 2001 when Brown went bonkers with spending and Blair went bonkers with sofa government and foreign wars.

The New Labour formula of spending restraint, non-xenophobic foreign policy, enlightened social policy and modest improvements in the welfare state is a popular one, then and now.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Innocent_Abroad
    Any odds on SR spontaneously com-busting?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    OT. It's plausible that at least 8% of UKIP support is coming from disgruntled 2010 Conservatives who in the absence of UKIP would have switched to Labour. After all, that would be only 1% or so of the voting electorate, and it's all the more plausible because there's also precious little evidence of direct Con-Lab switching in most polling.

Factor that into the graph and it becomes clear that Labour is now being hit harder than the Conservatives by UKIP's presence. i.e. Labour is losing its own 2010 support to UKIP and is also failing to win back those who voted Con in 2010 but who also voted Lab in 2005 or 2001.
  • Options

I do not think that true of the 97 government. TB was immensely popular and New Labour a breath of fresh air after the cones hotline and cabinet bastards years, which is why in 2001 he won a second landslide. The problems came after 2001 when Brown went bonkers with spending and Blair went bonkers with sofa government and foreign wars.

The New Labour formula of spending restraint, non-xenophobic foreign policy, enlightened social policy and modest improvements in the welfare state is a popular one, then and now.
    The problem is that your modest improvement in the welfare state is my bonkers spending (or vice versa, if you prefer).

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    edited July 2014
    Patrick said:

I've just seen the footage of Ed Miliband's appearance on Marr - where he gets handed a wonderful but truly cruel picture of himself as Wallace just after Marr asks him about his appalling ratings. Some reactions:

1. He seems a genuinely pleasant and forgiving man. Whilst my political opinion of him couldn't sink much further my personal opinion of him was much enhanced.
    2. He's not up to being PM. Policy wise. Image wise. He'll be a disaster PM. Hollande in Downing Street. Labour chose themselves a duffer.
    3. He's in the wrong profession. For a clever, ambitious and pleasant man to subject himself to the grinding abuse of politics seems a great shame.
    4. For the first time I have decided I like Ed Miliband. Just keep him well away from the levers of power.

Quite so. The more I see him eating the more I feel for him (who can say that every morsel they have eaten has been done so with elegance and refinement?).

I also think that the Cons should lay off him or the natural British sense of fair play and affinity for the underdog could be mildly self-defeating for them.

But.

EdM is manifestly not fit to be our PM nor are his polices ones that would ensure economic strength and prosperity.

It is entirely possible for people, as you do, to like the man but most will, I expect, even if they had it in their minds to vote for him, experience a moment of clarity on the way to the polling station.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Patrick said:

As someone else said, if Ed does get in, it'll be because of a pity-f***
  • Options

My main criticism of the 1997-2001 government was the chronic lack of ambition in a party that had been excluded from government for a generation and which had such a massive majority. Blair really was in a position to do what he liked but he seemed to prefer the quiet life.

Where was the equivalent of Gove's reforms or IDS's reforms? There was a lot of talk but too little action. The increase in in work benefits was a major reform but most of that came later. The Academy program came too late and too small to affect the chances of most children. The money poured into an unreformed NHS created a behemoth that we still struggle to pay for with declining productivity.

Where was the house building programs, the challenging of special interests and the emphasis on increasing opportunity? It is understandable that his biggest regrets in his book was the failure to go far enough. There was much to be done to make this a better society for all and he had the sort of golden opportunity that does not come around very often.

• Options

For Nick Palmer (FPT)

Let's go through your options, shall we, SR? Then we can make a book - it's a betting site, after all.

(3) You suggest we both knock it on the head and try to behave like grown-ups (100-30)

5) Just don't respond to anything I write and I'll do the same for you.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Cheers for posting that Boris link, Mr. P. Entertaining stuff to read.

Almost as entertaining as my riveting analysis of the Hungarian Grand Prix:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/hungary-post-race-analysis.html

Mr. L, Blair and Brown had a golden opportunity thanks to their huge mandate and majority, as well as a great economic inheritance, to permanently improve things for the better. It was a great opportunity missed due to bickering, idiocy and incompetence.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Cheers for posting that Boris link, Mr. P. Entertaining stuff to read.

Almost as entertaining as my riveting analysis of the Hungarian Grand Prix:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/hungary-post-race-analysis.html

Mr. L, Blair and Brown had a golden opportunity thanks to their huge mandate and majority, as well as a great economic inheritance, to permanently improve things for the better. It was a great opportunity missed due to bickering, idiocy and incompetence.

Agreed. The evidence seems to be that from day 1 Blairite reforms were blocked by Brown and vice versa. I think people fail to appreciate how unusual the close cooperation between Cameron and Osborne is. It has been the key to this government.

As regards the Hungarian GP I have to confess I am not usually much of a fan but remained absolutely riveted from start to finish when there was a test match on the other channel and Cook was finally getting some runs. Surely the best race for years.

• Options
    Mark Tyrrell UKIP ‏@MarkTyrrellUKIP 16m
    By the 1980s, Tuberculosis was considered to be almost eradicated in the UK.
    Now London is the TB capital of Europe.
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/12December/Pages/tb-tuberculosis-cases-rise-london-uk.aspx
  • Options
    Mr. L, did you see the Bahrain race earlier this year? That may have been better.

Curiously, both are circuits that are typically dull processions.

Anyway, 4 week break to Spa. Will see about a mid-season review.
  • Options

Mr. L, did you see the Bahrain race earlier this year? That may have been better.

Curiously, both are circuits that are typically dull processions.

Anyway, 4 week break to Spa. Will see about a mid-season review.

Only a bit of it, I am afraid. I think I do remember some great races in Hungary back in the Damon Hill era but I suppose it depends on the car/downforce/overtaking opportunities in any given era.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Always worth remembering that 2010 ukip voters are included in the "others/DNV" part of the chart.

If the chart is based on 15% ukip, then that's up to 20 of the 43
  • Options
    isam said:

Always worth remembering that 2010 ukip voters are included in the "others/DNV" part of the chart.

Good point Sam. I did not take account of that earlier.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    The one thing I still can't reconcile is this (using yesterday's YouGov and other pollsters show the same)

Changes Since the GE

Con minus 1

UKIP plus 10.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    isam said:

Morning Sam

Have been away from PB for a couple of days and, catching up, I note some expressions of sympathy for EdM and even it seems some vague longing for Lab.

Sam.

PLEASE DO NOT WAVER.

If it's going to be UKIP, OK then fine. But, if you are thinking of coming over to your spiritual home, ie Cons, then of course we would welcome you with open arms.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

My main criticism of the 1997-2001 government was the chronic lack of ambition in a party that had been excluded from government for a generation and which had such a massive majority. Blair really was in a position to do what he liked but he seemed to prefer the quiet life.

Where was the equivalent of Gove's reforms or IDS's reforms? There was a lot of talk but too little action. The increase in in work benefits was a major reform but most of that came later. The Academy program came too late and too small to affect the chances of most children. The money poured into an unreformed NHS created a behemoth that we still struggle to pay for with declining productivity.

Where was the house building programs, the challenging of special interests and the emphasis on increasing opportunity? It is understandable that his biggest regrets in his book was the failure to go far enough. There was much to be done to make this a better society for all and he had the sort of golden opportunity that does not come around very often.

I would agree with the first and third paragraphs, but not with the policies associated with the two quoted in the second. One almost got the impression, looking back, that Labout didn’t believe where it was, and what it could do!
    Blair and Brown were far too afraid of, and consequently reluctant to tackle, the City and the growing casino culture.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

For Nick Palmer (FPT)

re points 1 & 2), he will need to go far to beat JackW in those areas.
  • Options

The one thing I still can't reconcile is this (using yesterday's YouGov and other pollsters show the same)

Changes Since the GE

Con minus 1

UKIP plus 10.

Turnout at the last GE was 65.1%. Turnout in 1992 was 77.6%
  • Options

A colour by numbers class attack on David Cameron by Kevin Maguire actually ends up as worse for Ed in my eyes...quite damning stuff I think, wonder if it was intentional?

"The Labour leader’s wrong when he claims style doesn’t matter.

I think he knows he’s wrong when voters don’t hear the message if they’re sneering at the messenger.

To be proud to be a geek is better than whingeing, which he does in private.

The most angry Miliband’s been in four years was over the bacon mockery, effing and blinding at the criticism."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ed-miliband-geek-david-cameron-3923102#ixzz38kWIH7DO
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
  • Options

DavidL said:

I would agree with the first and third paragraphs, but not with the policies associated with the two quoted in the second. One almost got the impression, looking back, that Labout didn’t believe where it was, and what it could do!
    Blair and Brown were far too afraid of, and consequently reluctant to tackle, the City and the growing casino culture.
    I did not necessarily mean exactly the same policies. I simply meant a drive to change the provision of the state for the better in areas that affect the majority of us. Gove sincerely believed that his reforms were designed to help the disadvantaged the most as does IDS. Both might be wrong about that but I for one do not doubt their sincerity.

I agree with the disbelief point but I fear that the Brown/Blair feud and turf wars was the greater cause of the paralysis.

• Options
    On topic, and this is based on my own experience and judgement not polling, but I think if there is a 'shy ukip' vote, which there may not be, it is old labour voters... It's much more of a leap to go lab-ukip than con-ukip,.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014
    isam said:

A colour by numbers class attack on David Cameron by Kevin Maguire actually ends up as worse for Ed in my eyes...quite damning stuff I think, wonder if it was intentional?

snip "The most angry Miliband’s been in four years was over the bacon mockery, effing and blinding at the criticism."

Ed's 'effing and blinding' was more likely directed at the numpty that came up with the idea.
  • Options

Changes Since the GE

Con minus 1

UKIP plus 10.

Turnout at the last GE was 65.1%. Turnout in 1992 was 77.6%
    Get used to it @TSE. UKIP is here to stay and be a big player in Brit, politics.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Changes Since the GE

Con minus 1

UKIP plus 10.

It's not really odd. If you take the same poll, UKIP has a sixth of the 2010 Con vote (6%), a 14th of the 2010 Lab vote (2%), a tenth of the 2010 LD vote (2%) and presumably 3% from others and non-voters, making 13. The Tories have an even trade with Labour but they've got 2% from the LibDems and they'll also (not shown) have got some small party voters including their revival in Scotland and some non-voters.

The counter-argument to this is that the ex-Cons may be in the most solid 10%, while the suppprt UKIP need to hit 15% or 20% may pull more heavily from Labour. If that's right then it may actually be helpful to Con to talk up UKIP-friendly issues, especially if they're shooting to deny Lab a majority rather than to get one of their own.

It's pretty clear that the first tranche of UKIP's rise was largely ex-Con and the second tranche was largely ex-Lab. It's less clear why that was, and whether, in the event of UKIP decline, they will return to their former parties in that sequence.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    malcolmg said:

For Nick Palmer (FPT)

Malclog, you should try 3. Knock yourself on the head and try to act like a grown-up.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Morning all on #MegaPollingMonday

We've got Populus, The Good Lord A, ComRes and YouGov all coming up today!

#CrossOverMonday
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

#CrossOverMonday

And hopefully the ComRes marginals.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Morning Sam

Have been away from PB for a couple of days and, catching up, I note some expressions of sympathy for EdM and even it seems some vague longing for Lab.

Sam.

PLEASE DO NOT WAVER.

If it's going to be UKIP, OK then fine. But, if you are thinking of coming over to your spiritual home, ie Cons, then of course we would welcome you with open arms.
    No need to worry, it's going to be ukip! I live in a very safe Tory constituency**, so it wouldn't matter anyway

What I found most odd about Eds marr interview was the contradiction between his claims that the Scottish referendum was great because it go people enthused and involved in politics, but he won't offer an EU referendum

**although on my ratings it wouldn't be a massive shock if ukip managed to make it close
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Today is the Centenary of the start of WW1.
    Unless you only count from when the UK joined.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/church-to-mark-the-real-centenary-of-the-start-of-first-world-war-9631887.html
  • Options
    isam said:

On topic, and this is based on my own experience and judgement not polling, but I think if there is a 'shy ukip' vote, which there may not be, it is old labour voters... It's much more of a leap to go lab-ukip than con-ukip,.

Anecdotally, I think you're right, isam - and it's changed a bit. A few months ago before the Euros I found former Labour voters cheerfull saying they were voting UKIP. Now I'm getting "well, you're all a bit the same...I might, well, do something else", which I put down as UKIP. Why they've become more shy (I really don't have an intimidating manner) I don't know, nor whether it means the decision is more or less sure. think some of those simply aren't going to vote in the end, but that's a guess.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    BBC version of reality

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27585765

"Why did UKIP do less well in London?"

"A significant microcosm of both the problem and the solution is London - where, significantly, UKIP resonated less and performed less well than elsewhere.

Part of the explanation is that globalisation - which gives many a sense that they have little direct control over their economic destiny - enriches London."

True version of reality

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/12December/Pages/tb-tuberculosis-cases-rise-london-uk.aspx

"London is “the TB capital of Europe”, The Daily Telegraph has reported. The newspaper says that Britain is now the only nation in Western Europe with rising levels of tuberculosis"

"attributes the rise to people living under “Victorian” conditions, with poor housing, inadequate ventilation and overcrowding"

Families driven out of once affordable family homes in London to new built family homes on flood plains in the country while the ex family homes in London are gradually turned into slum housing with 5 or 6 families and all because a few thousand banksters who employ large amounts of unskilled labour are paying the political class to keep the borders open.

• Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Morning Sam

Sam.

PLEASE DO NOT WAVER.

No need to worry, it's going to be ukip! I live in a very safe Tory constituency**, so it wouldn't matter anyway

What I found most odd about Eds marr interview was the contradiction between his claims that the Scottish referendum was great because it go people enthused and involved in politics, but he won't offer an EU referendum

**although on my ratings it wouldn't be a massive shock if ukip managed to make it close
    I genuinely can't gauge how Lab will proceed with the EU ref question. It boggles belief that they will be able to maintain their "no" position (in both senses) and expect the Great British Public to respect that.

But then of course, if the GBP is willing to be patronised like that, then good luck to them.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

GIN1138 said:

#CrossOverMonday

And hopefully the ComRes marginals.

Even better!

Put the champagne on ice.

• Options

LABOUR bankrupted the country and opened up free NHS services to millions abroad. Is the NHS is safe with Labour? pic.twitter.com/hR5w9p518K

— Jon Scraggle (@JScraggle) July 27, 2014
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, I'd be greatly surprised if Miliband offered a vote on the EU.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    DavidL said:

I did not necessarily mean exactly the same policies. I simply meant a drive to change the provision of the state for the better in areas that affect the majority of us. Gove sincerely believed that his reforms were designed to help the disadvantaged the most as does IDS. Both might be wrong about that but I for one do not doubt their sincerity.

I agree with the disbelief point but I fear that the Brown/Blair feud and turf wars was the greater cause of the paralysis.

I don’t doubt their sincerity either; I have considerable concerns, though, about their wisdom!
    And I don’t think the Blair/Brown feud really got going until it became apparent that Blair was going to renege on the Granita Agreement.
  • Options

Same here. But why not? It seems extraordinary and extraordinarily arrogant. Or perhaps people are happy to be told what to do....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Same here. But why not? It seems extraordinary and extraordinarily arrogant. Or perhaps people are happy to be told what to do....
    Seems to be solely political tactics... Labour won't offer one because the Tories did

That along with the ukip strategy seems to be Labours plan... And it does seem to be all tactics/no conviction
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, perhaps he has the intellectual self-confidence to know what the British people want without bothering to ask them?

The left are almost uniformly pro-EU. The BBC's pro-EU. There won't be a major problem for Miliband over this, as not many Labour MPs would want such a vote.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

We’ve had a referendum. Ages ago. And it was 2-1 or thereabouts in favour. We can’t keep on having them; far better to participate fully and make the thing work.
    Which we haven’t done!
  • Options
    King Cole, must disagree.

Whilst there was a referendum and it was ages ago it was about a trade agreement, not political union. As for 'participating fully': we've got an FTT which will harm our national interest, a CAP that's vile and utterly unreformed, German dominance of the EU economy, and a single currency which isn't so much bad as deranged and inherently unworkable.

The whole continent would be better off if the EU were dismantled.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2014

TOPPING said:

We’ve had a referendum. Ages ago. And it was 2-1 or thereabouts in favour. We can’t keep on having them; far better to participate fully and make the thing work.
    Which we haven’t done!
    Keep on having them? We had one the thick end of forty years ago, with regard to a Common Market. If you're under 58 years old or so, you've had no say in the matter. Why shouldn't we have 'em more often? It's not as if the EU is a shining example of good governance.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    In the WWC areas where white working class support in the Midlands where I am and possibly more in the North, has switched from Labour to UKIP, Labour won't get that vote back easily. I changed Labour to Conservative in 2010 and I see no reason to change, most wouldn't go Tory but UKIP is an alternative. We are a stubborn breed, unless Labour changes they won't get that support back. Which if I was Nick I would be concerned, he may be right some won't vote but they are votes he could lose.

As for the Tories getting support from UKIP, hard to call, they won't get the working class defectors back, or probably the hard right wingers but some of the UKIP vote may be soft. All guesswork but could be crucial.

What Lordy's poll showed last week though was that in areas with a high wwc population, like many of the marginals here in the East Midlands there is the potential for Labour not to gain seats they need and expect to. Nick's seat is far from a certain gain and there are others close by.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

TOPPING said:

Which we haven’t done!
    We can’t keep on having them;

why not ? The EU keeps having them until they get the answer they want. Our last one was 40 years ago about half the people who voted in it will have died since then. I'm 53 and have never been consulted on the issue.
  • Options

King Cole, must disagree.

Whilst there was a referendum and it was ages ago it was about a trade agreement, not political union.

If the voters seriously thought that was what they were voting on then that would suggest that they don't have the necessary judgement and understanding to be entrusted with decisions like this. The campaigns will just make up a bunch of lies again and whoever tells the best lies will win.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

malcolmg said:

For Nick Palmer (FPT)

Malclog, you should try 3. Knock yourself on the head and try to act like a grown-up.
    LOL, I will copy you and see where that gets me ( dummy teat being ordered immediately ).
    I think you want to look after yourself , leave the big boys to get on with their discussions.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, you do realise half the people who voted then are probably dead by now?

It was a decade or so before I was born. I'm not sure it's rational to suggest I don't deserve a vote because some people born in 1900 didn't meet your expectations in a vote nearly half a century ago.

As for campaigns and lies, you may as well use that argument to abolish democracy too.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

For Nick Palmer (FPT)

LOL, I will copy you and see where that gets me ( dummy teat being ordered immediately ).
    I think you want to look after yourself , leave the big boys to get on with their discussions.
    Ok big boy, why don't you try backing up your peculiar insinuation about my identity(ies?) from yesterday? Or was that just further, typically pathetic, malclogging?
  • Options
    macisback said:

What Lordy's poll showed last week though was that in areas with a high wwc population, like many of the marginals here in the East Midlands there is the potential for Labour not to gain seats they need and expect to. Nick's seat is far from a certain gain and there are others close by.

The Ashcroft poll showed a shift from Labour to UKIP, though it still showed us 10-11 points ahead of the Tories. The Labour vote in Broxtowe is, unusually, very strong among ABC1 voters, who are the majority of the local electorate - the poll suggested a 13-14 point lead in that group vs 4-5 among C2DE voters.

• Options

Mr. Tokyo, you do realise half the people who voted then are probably dead by now?

It was a decade or so before I was born. I'm not sure it's rational to suggest I don't deserve a vote because some people born in 1900 didn't meet your expectations in a vote nearly half a century ago.

As for campaigns and lies, you may as well use that argument to abolish democracy too.

Referendums are much worse than election campaigns for outrageous lies because there's basically no downside to lying and getting caught afterwards, especially if your main opponents are on the same side. The AV referendum and the Scottish independence referendum campaigns are far more mendacious than a normal election campaign, especially the AV one where pretty much all the arguments made by either side were bogus.

It may be possible to improve by doing absolutely loads of them like the Swiss do, so the voters have more data to work out who is telling which fibs and more chances to ignore them next time.
  • Options
    A blog (@election-data) new to me, has me interested but is unsigned. Anyone know anything about it?
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin (@GoodwinMJ)
    28/07/2014 10:25
    In the 1980s social democrats in France encouraged the rise of the radical right as it 'divided the right'. Look how that turned out.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

macisback said:

The Ashcroft poll showed a shift from Labour to UKIP, though it still showed us 10-11 points ahead of the Tories. The Labour vote in Broxtowe is, unusually, very strong among ABC1 voters, who are the majority of the local electorate - the poll suggested a 13-14 point lead in that group vs 4-5 among C2DE voters.

With an 18% UKIP share and the strong possibility of drift to the Tories as the election gets closer. All to play for and encouraging for the Tories, even more so in Amber Valley, which really did surprise me. I feel unless there is a major change in the political landscape that all these East Midlands marginals will be very close again.
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly

"This election is confusing and messy. People need to come to peace with that. I have. I am dealing with it. My models have been tweaked and tested, scrapped, tweaked and tested, re-calibrated, tested.....etc, etc.

So when I hear Labour make a statement saying that UKIP voters will put Ed into No. 10 I am staggered at how unprofessional it sounds. Labour are in the business of winning campaigns. Their voters, members and candidates want them to win elections. Any other raison d'etre would need to be explained to me. So we are in a situation where Labour is effectively choosing to ignore a party which is polling between 10 and 15 per cent nationally (UKIP). Does that strike anyone as the professional approach? Speaking as a cold fish, that is. Applying cold logic, does it strike anyone as the professional approach?

It's worse than that. Because [and I'm exasperated just having to explain this again] the impact from UKIP is not randomly distributed. It depends on where you live. So 10 per cent for UKIP nationally translates to between 25 and 38% in seats across the country, depending on the particular demographics and voter behaviours in each seat. Which brings me on to the 'irresponsible' part."

http://election-data.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/labour-and-ukip.html
  • Options
    Labour want a new domestic abuse law:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28511862

Two things stand out:
    it's not really spelled out what the law will be, unless I missed it
    someone should point out to Cooper that a very large minority of victims are men persecuted by their girlfriends/wives (and that gay couples also have domestic abuse)

It's not merely outdated, it's dangerous to try and portray domestic abuse as only something men do to women. Whilst most cases are man on woman, a very significant number are the other way around.

This kind of thing really irritates me. The shrieking harpies who wet their knickers whenever women don't have 'equal' opportunity for playing football or somesuch nonsense never raise a murmur when the vestiges of sexism and prejudice lead to the utterly false assumption men are not and cannot be victims of domestic violence.
  • Options

Referendums are much worse than election campaigns for outrageous lies because there's basically no downside to lying and getting caught afterwards, especially if your main opponents are on the same side. The AV referendum and the Scottish independence referendum campaigns are far more mendacious than a normal election campaign, especially the AV one where pretty much all the arguments made by either side were bogus.

It may be possible to improve by doing absolutely loads of them like the Swiss do, so the voters have more data to work out who is telling which fibs and more chances to ignore them next time.
    Trust the people.

Referendums suffer from all those things but the bottom line is you should trust the people.

Lies are all part of it on both sides. Regrettable but a fact or politics. Understand it? Great. Not understand it? Such is life.

Your argument is the same as that which credited The Sun with winning UK general elections. It denies agency by the electorate. Some of them are even as bright as you and me.

Trust them.

And as for timing? Yes I think we have had a couple of generations since the last one. High time we had another.
  • Options
    isam said:

My thoughts exactly

"This election is confusing and messy. People need to come to peace with that. I have. I am dealing with it. My models have been tweaked and tested, scrapped, tweaked and tested, re-calibrated, tested.....etc, etc.

So when I hear Labour make a statement saying that UKIP voters will put Ed into No. 10 I am staggered at how unprofessional it sounds. Labour are in the business of winning campaigns. Their voters, members and candidates want them to win elections. Any other raison d'etre would need to be explained to me. So we are in a situation where Labour is effectively choosing to ignore a party which is polling between 10 and 15 per cent nationally (UKIP). Does that strike anyone as the professional approach? Speaking as a cold fish, that is. Applying cold logic, does it strike anyone as the professional approach?

It's worse than that. Because [and I'm exasperated just having to explain this again] the impact from UKIP is not randomly distributed. It depends on where you live. So 10 per cent for UKIP nationally translates to between 25 and 38% in seats across the country, depending on the particular demographics and voter behaviours in each seat. Which brings me on to the 'irresponsible' part."

There is also, of course, the question of where these ex-Tory votes would have gone otherwise, and in particular how many would have transferred directly to Labour. Perhaps if Labour viewed these switchers not as Con to UKIP but as Con to (Lab) to UKIP, we might see more policies and fewer bacon sandwiches.
  • Options
    Had coals of fire heaped on me for suggesting that since we’d had a referendum some 40 years ago ..... doesn’t time fly ..... clearly remember campaigning in it .....we didn’t need another.

However, what I also said was that we should be making much greater efforts to make it work a lot better. I agree, for example, about the CAP; a policy which, for example, subsidises grouse moors is , IMHO anyway, in very urgent need of reform.
  • Options
    isam said:

My thoughts exactly

Who is this guy writing this blog, isam; do you know?
  • Options
    King Cole, that's the point. With 28 member states, loss of vetoes, rise of QMV and increasing power of Brussels the EU *cannot* work in the interests of the UK. Nations will rarely get their optimal result and will commonly find the EU against their interests.

Do you really believe CAP reform will happen? I'd like to see it happen. But then, I'd like a 100/1 winning tip every race weekend too.
  • Options

King Cole, that's the point. With 28 member states, loss of vetoes, rise of QMV and increasing power of Brussels the EU *cannot* work in the interests of the UK. Nations will rarely get their optimal result and will commonly find the EU against their interests.

Do you really believe CAP reform will happen? I'd like to see it happen. But then, I'd like a 100/1 winning tip every race weekend too.

I don’t want the EU to work in the interessts of the UK; I want it work in the interests of the citizens of Europe.
    Note the word citizens.
  • Options
    King Cole, if you consider the interests of the EU to matter more than the interests of the UK (or EU citizens over UK citizens) then we disagree fundamentally.
  • Options
    Oh yes

Eid Mubarak everyone.
  • Options

King Cole, if you consider the interests of the EU to matter more than the interests of the UK (or EU citizens over UK citizens) then we disagree fundamentally.

Well, I’m an EU citizen. So are you. I’m retired and when I travel I find I’ve a lot in common with retired Dutch, German or Swedish EU citizens. More so than some British residents.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Had coals of fire heaped on me for suggesting that since we’d had a referendum some 40 years ago ..... doesn’t time fly ..... clearly remember campaigning in it .....we didn’t need another.

However, what I also said was that we should be making much greater efforts to make it work a lot better. I agree, for example, about the CAP; a policy which, for example, subsidises grouse moors is , IMHO anyway, in very urgent need of reform.

Coals of fire doesn't mean what you think it means

Minor point, grouse moors are generally also sheep moors. Major point, how many of the 28 member states contain grouse moors, and does the answer to that question not cast into doubt the concept of an agricultural policy common to all of them?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Trust the people.

What if the people themselves don't want to trust the people? Or is mob rule only appropriate in some areas?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Perhaps if Labour viewed these switchers not as Con to UKIP but as Con to (Lab) to UKIP, we might see more policies and fewer bacon sandwiches.

The reason you are seeing bacon sandwiches and, bizarrely, speeches about bacon sandwiches is precisely because Labour doesn't want to talk about policies. That is because policies are about making choices, and if Ed makes choices he will put off a chunk of his precious 35% on each choice he makes.

Of course the flaw in this timid approach is that he will end having nothing much to say, and letting others define his position for him. It's also a guarantee of high unpopularity if he does become PM, when voters find that the choices have to be made after all.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

Coals of fire doesn't mean what you think it means

Minor point, grouse moors are generally also sheep moors. Major point, how many of the 28 member states contain grouse moors, and does the answer to that question not cast into doubt the concept of an agricultural policy common to all of them?
    See what you mean Ishmael, re coals! Thanks. Not realised that before. Is that my one new thing learned today, I wonder!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

My thoughts exactly

Who is this guy writing this blog, isam; do you know?
    I don't, but I think he has posted on here
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Times change in 40 years - why should anyone under the age of 57 not have a say ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The tories couldn't buy better publicity than labour saying UKIP will win them the election.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Yes I think you have a point there.
    Of course in a referendum campaign there may be no right choice.
    AV has some point but on the other hand so does FPTP. And there are many flavours of AV and indeed its possible to vary FPTP as well. (boundaries and multi member constituencies for instance).

Take an EU referendum. There is no perfect answer - arguably there is no least perfect answer either. We have problems staying in and we will still have problems if we leave. Not least the EU will not go away and we will have to agree somehow to trade and deal with them. Lick a finger and hold it up to the wind. Will the EU grow closer together and then we will be faced with the power of a massive contenental wide political and economic giant - or will the EU without us crumble because of some inate failings? How are we supposed to know?

Why should there have to be a right or certain course of action? At the end of the day this is why we have democracy and politicians and governments - they make the choices between an endless series of imperfect options and then at least one section (if not all) of the self serving electorate blame them.
This discussion has been closed.