Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At 4-1 the CON most votes/LAB most seats bet is still the b

13»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Why do I keep getting adverts for underwear on PB??

Don't know, but usually the ad's you see are based on your interests, I.E, websites you've visited or things you've searched for on Google.

Anything you want to share? ;)

Must be all those "Ed is pants" google searches I do.

And LOL at TSE's ads, and especially the browser history bracelet!!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Quincel said:

For the avoidance of doubt, you're saying the Palestinians should not use the methods that some Israelis used to obtain their state?

Firstly, I don't entirely see the relevance of this. I don't think China should use the methods we did to build our economy (slavery) but I still think the UK should negotiate trade deals with China and so on.

Secondly, the massacre of Palestinian villages were horrific war crimes. But the bombing (with several ignored warnings) of a hotel which had been converted to the military headquarters of British forces? How is that not a legitimate target of war?
    The British were foremost in abolishing slavery and the slave trade. Britain was not at war with anyone when the hotel was bombed. It was fulfilling a UN mandate. Since it was not at war then the bombing was a crime carried out by terrorists.
    No formal declaration, but an awful lots of British troops doing an awful lot of fighting. To people there at the time it would have looked suspiciously like a war. Now if you're saying that all violence by non-state groups is terrorism because there is never a formal declaration of war then that's your view and a consistent one at that, but I think it's not a particularly useful definition for any purpose we might want to use it for - such as discussing the morality/legitimacy of actions.

As for slavery, we were indeed foremost in abolishing it. My point was just that the actions Israel took in 1948 and earlier aren't obviously relevant in the actions Hamas can now legitimately take. The actions Israel is taking in 2014 are much more relevant.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Don't know, but usually the ad's you see are based on your interests, I.E, websites you've visited or things you've searched for on Google.

I'm getting "Free DVD for UK business owners" and an ad for a rock festival. Duh.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    No Westminster VI stuff in the Sunday Times.

A YouGov poll for The Sunday Times shows the public supports the call for Russia to lose the World Cup and the grand prix by a margin of more than two to one; 50% of voters say Russia should be stripped of the World Cup and 51% the grand prix. In both cases just 22% disagree; 65% back trade sanctions.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What I find amazing about the whole issue of FGM is the utter naïveté of the political class in Britain who allowed so many immigrants into the country without bothering to do any research whatsoever into the sort of customs that are regarded as normal in many of the countries from which they come. How stupid can you be?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2014
    ‘I pleaded guilty from the beginning – well, I probably wriggled for a bit – but I accepted what I’d done was wrong, I apologised and then I paid back all the money.’

MacShane admitted to filling in false claims, but said he was merely covering his expenses for foreign trips in his role as a former Europe Minister under Tony Blair.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2706888/Ex-minister-Denis-Macshane-jailed-bogus-expenses-claims-turns-colleagues.html

He just can't help himself....wriggled for a bit apparently, merely covering costs. Lets just remind ourselves of all that money he claimed for his "office" and the fact he paid his brother.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/16/article-0-04EC57B9000005DC-295_468x348.jpg
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

697K voters, would think about emigrating in the event of a “yes” vote in September.

Hmm, I thought only London based luvvies said that sort of thing?

I can just see 1 in 7 of the population leaving , sounds very plausible poll. Who makes this crap up.
    Ir's not 1 in 7 leaving though is it? It's 1 in 7 thinking about leaving. A lot of people think about a lot of things and don't actually do it...
    Quite. I think I've seen a poll showing a larger proportion that 1 in 7 (more like 1 in 4 IIRC) would like to emigrate from Britain. Not that many actually do.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Everyone else waiting to watch spurs V Chicago at 1am on spurs website???? Course u are...
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Did they poll the Russians as well? ;-)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

I'm getting "Free DVD for UK business owners" and an ad for a rock festival. Duh.
    I'm getting the Free DVD one too, plus "EasyRoommate" at the top too!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    Did they poll the Russians as well? ;-)

We could give the World Cup to Qatar!

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Tory MP David Tredinnick advocates astrology in conjunction with health care:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-28464009
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

‘I pleaded guilty from the beginning – well, I probably wriggled for a bit – but I accepted what I’d done was wrong, I apologised and then I paid back all the money.’

MacShane admitted to filling in false claims, but said he was merely covering his expenses for foreign trips in his role as a former Europe Minister under Tony Blair.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2706888/Ex-minister-Denis-Macshane-jailed-bogus-expenses-claims-turns-colleagues.html

He just can't help himself....wriggled for a bit apparently, merely covering costs. Lets just remind ourselves of all that money he claimed for his "office" and the fact he paid his brother.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/16/article-0-04EC57B9000005DC-295_468x348.jpg

Lets also remember that initially the plod couldn't get evidence due to parliamentary privilege. It was only after several years that the standards committee published the evidence, which then enabled him to be prosecuted.

He hardly held his hands up and said fair cop gov.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yeah we had a discussion on this a few days ago. Consensus was astrology is a load of bollocks.
  • Options
    Periodic trading update on the annuity firms I punted on post budget hits... currently balls deep in the red.... circa 2.5k down.... oops!!
  • Options
    Let's pick apart the poll?
    How many Englishmen want the world cup back because those damned Ruski's cheated anyway?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

Let's pick apart the poll?
    How many Englishmen want the world cup back because those damned Ruski's cheated anyway?

World Cup host should be selected by random number generator. ;)
  • Options
    Now the ads are asking me if I leave my AC on when I leave the house. Now I've never googled AC in my life, but I was talking about it here on PB a few days ago. Seem that these ads also pick up on what we post here :o
  • Options
    23 mins to kick off
  • Options
    @RobD
    It is ALLEGEDLY.
    It functions on the infinite bribery method, a number generated by working out who paid whom.
    I of course would never think such a calumny.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    AndyJS said:

What I find amazing about the whole issue of FGM is the utter naïveté of the political class in Britain who allowed so many immigrants into the country without bothering to do any research whatsoever into the sort of customs that are regarded as normal in many of the countries from which they come. How stupid can you be?

They genuinely thought everyone would be so glad to be British that they'd give up all their own beliefs and mingle in
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    I'm being offered a Family & Friends Railcard, fair enough I do look up train times quite a lot. And also how to avoid running out of money in retirement "if I have a £250,000 portfolio". And cheap printer ink from a website I already use - so that one's wasted.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    FPT
    Congratulations to David and his new spouse. Hope you had a great day.
  • Options

I'm being offered a Family & Friends Railcard, fair enough I do look up train times quite a lot. And also how to avoid running out of money in retirement "if I have a £250,000 portfolio". And cheap printer ink from a website I already use - so that one's wasted.

It's obvious, avoid running out of money in retirement by stockpiling printer ink (it's only going to go up and up), while selling the car and exclusively using the railways!
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Yeah we had a discussion on this a few days ago. Consensus was astrology is a load of bollocks.
    Apologies, I've been out of range most of that time - (probably a good thing, lol).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Nonsense! Astrologist are there to make Economists look good.....

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

They genuinely thought everyone would be so glad to be British that they'd give up all their own beliefs and mingle in
    I still have difficulty in believing the numbers quoted. As far as I know, FGM is practised only in Upper Egypt and Sudan. Maybe Somalia.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

No Westminster VI stuff in the Sunday Times.

A YouGov poll for The Sunday Times shows the public supports the call for Russia to lose the World Cup and the grand prix by a margin of more than two to one; 50% of voters say Russia should be stripped of the World Cup and 51% the grand prix. In both cases just 22% disagree; 65% back trade sanctions.

Do the public also think that Britain decides to hosts the World Cup ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

Splitters!

From the Sunday Times

But Danny Alexander has revealed that he is preparing to take on the Tories in media appearances, and plans a blitz of speeches in the autumn ahead of his party’s conference.

Leaflets and briefing papers criticising the Conservatives are being sent to Lib Dem activists around the country so that they can get their points across to voters on the doorstep.

The plan is being called Operation Roman in Lib Dem circles after Monty Python’s “What have the Romans ever done for us?” joke from the film Life of Brian.

The Lib Dems are portraying themselves as the Romans, believing they “never get the credit” for their achievements in government.

"Biggus Nickus" [tries to stifle laughter]

"What's so funny about Biggus Nickus?"
    I so want to write a thread on this, I'd be able to segue in so many subtle Life of Brian references.
    Silence! What is all this insolence? You will find yourself in gladiator school vewy quickly with wotten behaviour like that.
    When the Lib Dems are reduced to 10 MPs at the next election, you know what we're all going to sing.

Always look on the bright side of life.
    10 ?

Which of

Twickenham
    Bristol West
    Leeds North West
    Ceredigion
    North East Fife
    Westmorland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Bath Majority
    Sheffield, Hallam
    Ross, Skye & Lochaber
    Orkney & Shetland

are they losing ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    Pulpstar said:

Splitters!

From the Sunday Times

But Danny Alexander has revealed that he is preparing to take on the Tories in media appearances, and plans a blitz of speeches in the autumn ahead of his party’s conference.

Leaflets and briefing papers criticising the Conservatives are being sent to Lib Dem activists around the country so that they can get their points across to voters on the doorstep.

The plan is being called Operation Roman in Lib Dem circles after Monty Python’s “What have the Romans ever done for us?” joke from the film Life of Brian.

The Lib Dems are portraying themselves as the Romans, believing they “never get the credit” for their achievements in government.

"Biggus Nickus" [tries to stifle laughter]

"What's so funny about Biggus Nickus?"
    I so want to write a thread on this, I'd be able to segue in so many subtle Life of Brian references.
    Silence! What is all this insolence? You will find yourself in gladiator school vewy quickly with wotten behaviour like that.
    When the Lib Dems are reduced to 10 MPs at the next election, you know what we're all going to sing.

Always look on the bright side of life.
    10 ?

Which of

Twickenham
    Bristol West
    Leeds North West
    Ceredigion
    North East Fife
    Westmorland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Bath Majority
    Sheffield, Hallam
    Ross, Skye & Lochaber
    Orkney & Shetland

are they losing ?
    I can think of three or four of those they might lose, including Twickenham, Bristol, Leeds and North Norfolk.

I think Charlie is safe, mind.
This discussion has been closed.