Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage could be preparing a surprise for Ed Milband at his

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage could be preparing a surprise for Ed Milband at his September conference in Doncaster

UKIP GAIN from LAB in EdM's backyard
Edenthorpe on Doncaster
UKIP 1,203
LAB 1,109
CON 479
GRN 160
EdM sits for Doncaster N

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    First.....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2014
    Hee hee. not going to happen, but would be funny :)
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Labour should not have sabotaged the reform in the electoral system, from inside.

It would be marvellous if another chcken came home to roost in Doncaster North.
  • Options
    Just re-read David's excellent piece.

How would it work in practice? On the one hand if Labour has a majority it should form the government, even if it doesn't have a leader in Parliament. But, while I am sure Hattie would claim she should be interim PM would potential contenders for the post really want her to have that role?

Similarly, EdM serving as PM while waiting for a patsy by-election doesn't seem right somehow.

My guess would be Cameron continues in post, but with no primary legislation, until there is a new labour leader elected
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    Charles said:

I'm sure you will love this blast from the past then:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-jvnSstX9w
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Charles said:

I'm sure you will love this blast from the past then:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-jvnSstX9w
    Not really. I don't take pleasure in setbacks for individuals. The Doncaster amusement would come from the unprecedented nature of events &!the confusion that would follow. I'm a political nerd amd like new situations.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    UKIP have given lots of indications that they'd moved on from silly stunts and were up for grown-up electoral politics. But if they want to stick an incapable politician in an airplane over a high profile incumbent's constituency on GE day again then good luck to them.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Remember when Nigel said the fox was in the hen house? That was followed by everybody, including plenty on here predicting that ukip would slowly disappear up to the GE. Well actually the opposite is happening and by the new year all 3 parties will be in a panic as to how to cope. Nigel finished Clegg as a credible politician, Cameron reshuffled his cabinet in fear and now we're celebrating in Ed's back yard. It's David and Goliath and we know what happened there.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited July 2014
    Of course Ed doesn't have to be an MP to become PM ....

Titter ....

However the overarching PB precept is that :

Ed Miliband Will Never Become Prime Minister
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    If Farage decides on a decapitation strategy against Ed , it would be the greatest strategic and tactical blunder since Hannibal decided to take on Scipio Africanus at Zama.

The result would be so embarrassing and possibly ruin UKIP forever, just like Zama was for Carthage.

It would also push Lab to UKIP switchers back to Lab.

Plus as the 2005 Lib Dem decapitation strategy showed, it seldom works.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    I wouldn't be surprised if Doncaster North provides an upset, it's exactly the sort of seat that highlights how Labour have lost their way. Miliband's 2 immediate predecessors were coal miners and then the good people of Doncaster get stuck with him!
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Charles said:

How would it work in practice? On the one hand if Labour has a majority it should form the government, even if it doesn't have a leader in Parliament. But, while I am sure Hattie would claim she should be interim PM would potential contenders for the post really want her to have that role?

Similarly, EdM serving as PM while waiting for a patsy by-election doesn't seem right somehow.

My guess would be Cameron continues in post, but with no primary legislation, until there is a new labour leader elected

The precedent is 1963, when the Tories elected a member of the House of Lords to lead them.

Still, it says a lot about the way Charles's mind works, that if the Tories win the election they provide the Prime Minister, but if Labour wins the elections... the Tories provide the Prime Minister!

• Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    UKIP are 16/1 to win Doncaster North with Ladbrokes
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    A tremendous result for TUSC beating the Tory in the Rhondda,23-20.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    In the 50’s the old Doncaster seat was held by Anthony Barber, Conservative Chancellor of the Exchequer. I know the boundaries have altered significantly.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    A decapitation strategy of the Labour leader - based on a solitary local council gain? - novel.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    UKIP would be a bit foolish to waste valuable resources trying to unseat Ed, though they'd be doing Labour a huge favour if they somehow managed it.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    When JackW keeps on saying that EdM will never be PM I didin't think he was predicting the scenario where Labour form the next government but UKIP unseat the Labour leader... [belly laughs]

If people like SouthamObserver are right and Labour's poll score dives whenever Ed Miliband is in the news, UKIP could be doing Labour a favour by tying him down in Doncaster.

One assumes that Ed Balls becomes PM in that scenario [shudders]. All the Blairites then feel very silly for vacating the Commons and letting Balls become PM by default.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2014
    It makes me think of a candle's guttering. And not that of Ed M.
  • Options
    Stone her (and the Tory Taliban may have been right about her)

Liz Truss: I used to sing anti-Thatcher songs. My childhood supporting CND and going to Greenham Common

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10989032/Liz-Truss-My-childhood-supporting-CND-and-going-to-Greenham-Common.html

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Can't help but recall the Lib Dem decapitation strategy did not work terribly well.

Perhaps a new name should be used. A Trasimene or Teutoberg strategy, as it would seem to have the best chance of working if it came as something as a surprise, rather than being common knowledge from an early stage.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Neil said:

UKIP have given lots of indications that they'd moved on from silly stunts and were up for grown-up electoral politics. But if they want to stick an incapable politician in an airplane over a high profile incumbent's constituency on GE day again then good luck to them.

It's one thing to have your leader play silly games standing against the speaker, and quite another to happen to have a former Mayor to stand in a high-profile campaign against the leader of another party.

Apart from anything else it helps to get UKIP a bit more coverage during the next GE campaign, helps to take the pressure of Farage's campaign for whatever seat he finally decides to stand in, and helps to position UKIP as being a credible alternative for disgruntled Labour voters, rather than merely a group of washed-up ex-Tories annoyed that the Conservatives aren't right-wing enough.

What would be silly is if they decided to make this one seat the centrepiece of a wide-ranging decapitation strategy, where they put effort into finding candidates to run against Cameron, Balls, Osborne and Clegg, and then supported those candidates with money and activists. That would be stupid, but happening to have a strong-on-paper candidate for the Labour leader's seat is something that they will want to make a fuss about.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Can't help but recall the Lib Dem decapitation strategy did not work terribly well.

Perhaps a new name should be used. A Trasimene or Teutoberg strategy, as it would seem to have the best chance of working if it came as something as a surprise, rather than being common knowledge from an early stage.

Trasimene analogy doesn't work. Hannibal outnumbered his opponents 2:1. I can't see UKIP managing that in Doncaster North.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    shadsy said:

Shadsy, if you are offering 16/1 it ain't gonna happen!

I am however continually perplexed by the UKIP seats market on Betfair. You can lay None at about 7/4. Seems to me very likely that Farage will win wherever he stands, so that's a pretty safe safe bet.

One to Five seats looks pretty good value at 11/8 and a saver at 7/2 at Over Five also looks ok.

What are the odds on MikeK fainting with pleasure at this last result?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, it was still an ambush, arguably the greatest in history, and even taking that into account Roman losses were crushing, Carthaginian losses relatively minor.

Also, the only way to win in democracy is to have your voters number more than any other party.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    The "Silly Season " is upon us..
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

shadsy said:

I am however continually perplexed by the UKIP seats market on Betfair. You can lay None at about 7/4. Seems to me very likely that Farage will win wherever he stands, so that's a pretty safe safe bet.

One to Five seats looks pretty good value at 11/8 and a saver at 7/2 at Over Five also looks ok.

Funnily enough I see it the other way round. I think UKIP will get a couple of seats on the back of a double figure national share but I also think Farage will probably fail to win one of them wherever he stands. I think he personally attracts a lot of opposition and that the other parties will go all out to make sure that, whatever else, he does not win whichever seat he is standing in.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, it was still an ambush, arguably the greatest in history, and even taking that into account Roman losses were crushing, Carthaginian losses relatively minor.

Also, the only way to win in democracy is to have your voters number more than any other party.

I meant foot soldiers for the ground game. Labour are going to outnumber UKIP on that score.
  • Options
    UKIP will put up candidates in hundreds of seats - incl Doncaster N. They'll make as much noise as they can in every one of these. But to call this a 'decpaitation strategy' is a stretch.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Greetings from sunny Portugal , a land which the internet forgot. 2G is cutting edge around here.

The question I ask myself is whether I would be tempted to vote UKIP in Doncaster North. And the answer is no, not a chance in hell. If Tory supporters like me are not tempted Ed is as safe as houses (unlike this connection ).
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Decapitation? Ugh! What an ugly word.

No, I think you're wrong there Mike, much as it might enliven PB in the run up to the GE.
    UKIP plans to put most resources into about 25 - 35 seats where they feel that they have the best chance of winning the targeted seat. However the plan is also to find candidates for most if not all of the parliamentary seats.

So relax, UKIP will be everywhere. If Red Ed does lose to a UKIP candidate it will be as a result that the voters have spoken.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Last election:

Ed Miliband Labour 19,637 47.3
    Sophie Brodie Conservative 8,728 21.0
    Ed Sanderson Liberal Democrat 6,174 14.9
    Pamela Chambers BNP 2,818 6.8
    Wayne Crawshaw English Democrats 2,148 5.2
    Liz Andrews UKIP 1,797 4.3
    Bill Rawcliffe TUSC 181 0.4

So BNP, English Democrats and UKIP totalled around 16%. If the Tory voters voted tactically for UKIP Ed might be in trouble.

It's unlikely to happen - particularly with the potential to have the PM as your MP - but it's not impossible.
  • Options
    @RichardTyndall

That's certainly a possibility, Richard, which makes UKIP to win (any) seat a stonking good bet.

You get two shots at it - a) Farage wins because of his high profile and b) another UKIPper wins because he draws fire away from him/her.

There are a few obvious candidates who could win under scenario b). Personally I think both a) and b) will happen and UKIP will finish with about half a dozen seats, but I will be amazed if they do not win at least one, and have placed my bets accordingly.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Welcome to the site, Mr. 86.

Incidentally about half an hour to go to P1. I'll miss almost all of it, alas, but there we are.

Edited extra bit: just read on the BBC gossip column that Massa (and not Magnussen) was investigated for the lap 1 crash at Hockenheim. Mildly surprised both weren't investigated, although I agree with the conclusion it was a racing incident.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2014

shadsy said:

Funnily enough I see it the other way round. I think UKIP will get a couple of seats on the back of a double figure national share but I also think Farage will probably fail to win one of them wherever he stands. I think he personally attracts a lot of opposition and that the other parties will go all out to make sure that, whatever else, he does not win whichever seat he is standing in.
    @Peter_the_Punter
    I would never faint with pleasure, Peter, whatever the number of seats UKIP gained at the GE.
    Now, swooning with ecstasy is another matter. ;)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Unfortunately for those wetting themselves at the prospect of UKIP defeating EdM in Doncaster North the chances are zero .
    In May the 7 council wards making up the constituency went Lab 5 Conservative 1 and Ind 1
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    MikeK said:

Decapitation? Ugh! What an ugly word.

No, I think you're wrong there Mike, much as it might enliven PB in the run up to the GE.
    UKIP plans to put most resources into about 25 - 35 seats where they feel that they have the best chance of winning the targeted seat. However the plan is also to find candidates for most if not all of the parliamentary seats.

So relax, UKIP will be everywhere. If Red Ed does lose to a UKIP candidate it will be as a result that the voters have spoken.

Absolutely correct. If you were an approved UKIP candidate with a choice of a few seats you would want to position yourself where you are most likely to win, Doncaster is unlikely to be that place. UKIP will win plenty of seats, of that I have no doubt, the strategy at the moment is to unsettle everybody.

Its obvious that strategy is working well.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all. Decapitation campaigns tend to go badly wrong. Ask the LibDems. In 2005 they planned them for several Tories, most of whom at least doubled their majorities.

Would be funny if Diane James wins in Eastleigh and is the only UKIP MP. Would Farage stand aside without being pushed?

I wonder how long it will be before betting PBers start putting money on Tory candidates in Labour marginals :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    It has been quite a culture shock for my kids, being in Portugal. Meal times are no longer dominated by people tapping away at their I phones and children are having to speak to each other instead. They are even speaking to their parents. I am encouraging them to look at it as one of these living history experiments. But if the internet is indeed the future of business and trade Portugal is in even worse trouble than we thought.
  • Options
    Surely the serious point from the Doncaster by-election last night is one some of us are daring to repeat week in and week out. If Labour is heading for a majority next year according to the pollsters, why is the party not winning by-elections hand over fist week in and week out? It should not be losing safe wards in ultra safe seats, especially not that of the PM in waiting.

Incidentally what did Jack's Arse pronounce yesterday? Lost my broadband signal around 8.30am yesterday morning.
  • Options

Charles said:

The precedent is 1963, when the Tories elected a member of the House of Lords to lead them.

Still, it says a lot about the way Charles's mind works, that if the Tories win the election they provide the Prime Minister, but if Labour wins the elections... the Tories provide the Prime Minister!

Incorrect my dear old fruit.

In 1963 the Conservatives didn't employ anything quite so vulgar as a leadership election. Quite correctly they keep to the view that a Scottish peer would emerge through the mists of the glens and graciously accept the seals of office from Her Majesty as her Prime Minister.

It seems to me some old traditions have great merit.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2014

Unfortunately for those wetting themselves at the prospect of UKIP defeating EdM in Doncaster North the chances are zero .
    In May the 7 council wards making up the constituency went Lab 5 Conservative 1 and Ind 1

Mark your wetting/wet dream forecasts are sometimes ... very dry.
    You said that my suggestion that the LDs were heading for 1 MEP was a "wet dream". LOL
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    If Ed Miliband loses to UKIP in this seat then the national result will be a Con majority, the chances of either happening are slim to none.
  • Options
    OT What if Farage and co wanted to hound EdM over his refusal to have a referendum? EdM took 47% of the vote last time and a 26% majority. It would take an earth quake to change that but if UKIP became the anti-Labour rival, it could create a diversion.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    There is no chance of Edward losing the seat but big potential for UKIP to unsettle Edward and force him to spend more time dealing with his constituency in the campaign than he would want.

The ground UKIP is making in white wwc areas is fascinating. In the North and Midlands stubborness, loyalty and decency are part of the wwc dna. Those votes won't be easily won back without change, Edward doesn't appeal to these people that is becoming very clear.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Incidentally what did Jack's Arse pronounce yesterday? Lost my broadband signal around 8.30am yesterday morning.

Tut tut .... Normally fortnightly on a Tuesday.

22 Jul - Con 309 (+2) .. Lab 278 (-4) .. LibDem 32 (+2) .. Others Unchanged.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Surely the serious point from the Doncaster by-election last night is one some of us are daring to repeat week in and week out. If Labour is heading for a majority next year according to the pollsters, why is the party not winning by-elections hand over fist week in and week out? It should not be losing safe wards in ultra safe seats, especially not that of the PM in waiting.

Edenthorpe was never a safe Labour ward . When fought for the first time in 2004 it was won by a combination of Lib Dems and Independents and as previously mentioned it is not in EdM's constituency . Still do not let facts get in the way of wishful thinking
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

OT What if Farage and co wanted to hound EdM over his refusal to have a referendum? EdM took 47% of the vote last time and a 26% majority. It would take an earth quake to change that but if UKIP became the anti-Labour rival, it could create a diversion.

All that will do is give airtime to the fact that the Tories are going to give people a referendum. Not sure that UKIP will campaign too hard on Europe, they will stick to their core message of reducing immigration. If they go for populist nationalism on economic policy there is a very high chance that they will damage both the Tories and Labour significantly. UKIP voters support populist nationalism in economics, they had the highest support for renationalising the railways, for example so UKIP can make a lot of hay by promising to renationalise the franchises and by tying it in with the EU, why isn't Germany subject to the same terms and why is DB still allowed to be state owned and subsidised etc...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Thanks Jack, I trust you were cheering on our young folks last night as Scotland secured 4 gold medals.
  • Options

Edenthorpe was never a safe Labour ward . When fought for the first time in 2004 it was won by a combination of Lib Dems and Independents and as previously mentioned it is not in EdM's constituency . Still do not let facts get in the way of wishful thinking
    Mark my dear chap, it is you and OGH who are engaging in wishful thinking. Unless there is a dramatic change of events, your sitting MPs are going to be thrashed like a dockside hooker next May, mostly at the hands of Tory rivals.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Does Doncaster have a farmers market?
  • Options

JackW said:

Thanks Jack, I trust you were cheering on our young folks last night as Scotland secured 4 gold medals.
    Indeed so.

Mrs JackW has indicated ladies judo is "fascinating" .... Hhmmm ....

Ross Murdoch's win was magnificent. Quite some medal ceremony too.

• Options

Mark my dear chap, it is you and OGH who are engaging in wishful thinking. Unless there is a dramatic change of events, your sitting MPs are going to be thrashed like a dockside hooker next May, mostly at the hands of Tory rivals.
    Yes , of course they are Easterross , now where are those 6/7 Scottish Conservative MPs you were predicting would get elected in 2010 ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    DavidL said:

It has been quite a culture shock for my kids, being in Portugal. Meal times are no longer dominated by people tapping away at their I phones and children are having to speak to each other instead. They are even speaking to their parents. I am encouraging them to look at it as one of these living history experiments. But if the internet is indeed the future of business and trade Portugal is in even worse trouble than we thought.

Which part are you in? Friends (Labour councillors) take all their holidays in the north, because they like the un-touristy traditional flavour.

On topic, I think Mike K is right - the Doncaster focus is tactical, to gain attention and rattle the cages, rather than a serious attempt. Good by-election though!

Now if only they'd get their orgainsation to the point that they sort out how one books stands, my (non-partisan) day job would be very pleased. Less than two months to go, and no information available whatsoever. Even worse than last year, when we did get a stand and had a pleasant day (there are lots of animal-friendly UKIP people).

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited July 2014
    If Ukip won Doncaster North, one on hand it would make me happier than any other ukip win, and one smug PBer would be recoiling in embarrassment for the rest of his days if he had any pride

But actually, I quite like Ed Miliband and would feel really bad for him if he lost his seat. He gets enough stick already for someone who seems a nice guy
  • Options
    One of the missing results from last night Windsor/Maidenhead Clewer North Ind hold

Ind 878 Con 476 Lab 158
  • Options

DavidL said:

Which part are you in? Friends (Labour councillors) take all their holidays in the north, because they like the un-touristy traditional flavour.

On topic, I think Mike K is right - the Doncaster focus is tactical, to gain attention and rattle the cages, rather than a serious attempt. Good by-election though!

Now if only they'd get their orgainsation to the point that they sort out how one books stands, my (non-partisan) day job would be very pleased. Less than two months to go, and no information available whatsoever. Even worse than last year, when we did get a stand and had a pleasant day (there are lots of animal-friendly UKIP people).

I posted the link to you ages ago re ukip conference
  • Options
    Ross Murdoch on the podium - Not a dry eye in the house ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28477880
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited July 2014

There is plenty of evidence that UKIP support is sinking rapidly apart from ICM polls . So far in July 35,000 votes have been cast in council by elections , UKIP have gained no seats and lost 2 seats , their total number of votes in 4,975 14% the same % as Lib Dems who won 5 seats and Others who won 3 seats . Greens had 4% of the vote and won 1 seat ( actually 1 gain and 1 loss ) .

One of tomorrow's by elections is a Labour held seat in a ward in Doncaster . UKIP gained this ward in May . News from the ground is that UKIP are barely putting any effort into the by election and a comfortable Labour hold is expected .

Mark, are you sure you're the best man to discern UKIP's electoral fortunes ?

Are your "ground" sources any good at all ?
  • Options
    Why doesn't E Miliband stand in a London seat anyway? That is labours new heartland now, the working class in the North are leaving in droves.
  • Options
    @JackW

"Ross Murdoch's win was magnificent. Quite some medal ceremony too."

Did you see the cute outfits some of those guys were wearing? Breathtaking....
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

There is plenty of evidence that UKIP support is sinking rapidly apart from ICM polls . So far in July 35,000 votes have been cast in council by elections , UKIP have gained no seats and lost 2 seats , their total number of votes in 4,975 14% the same % as Lib Dems who won 5 seats and Others who won 3 seats . Greens had 4% of the vote and won 1 seat ( actually 1 gain and 1 loss ) .

One of tomorrow's by elections is a Labour held seat in a ward in Doncaster . UKIP gained this ward in May . News from the ground is that UKIP are barely putting any effort into the by election and a comfortable Labour hold is expected .

Maidstone , UKIP vote down 5% on May , Walsall UKIP vote down 10% on May and fell from 2nd to 3rd place , I just look at the poll results . My Doncaster source was a local Conservative so perhaps it would have been wise to ignore it .
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    JackW said:

Charles said:

Incorrect my dear old fruit.

In 1963 the Conservatives didn't employ anything quite so vulgar as a leadership election. Quite correctly they keep to the view that a Scottish peer would emerge through the mists of the glens and graciously accept the seals of office from Her Majesty as her Prime Minister.

It seems to me some old traditions have great merit.

I stand corrected. Although you could argue that there was a (small) electoral college, of sorts.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Are your "ground" sources any good at all ?
    "One of tomorrow's by elections is a Labour held seat in a ward in Doncaster . UKIP gained this ward in May . News from the ground is that UKIP are barely putting any effort into the by election and a comfortable Labour hold is expected ."

Love it!

Keep em coming Mark
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    isam said:

Sorry, missed it. Can you send it again, e.g. to my work address nick.palmer@buav.org? We have had a standing request for a stand for ages and are just not getting a reply other than "we are working on details and will get back to applicants".

• Options
    GDP 0.8%.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Ross Murdoch on the podium - Not a dry eye in the house ....

Watched the swimming finals last night - The look of disbelief on Murdoch's face when the result flashed up was quite a picture. The boy done good, even if it did take a few seconds for it to sink in.
  • Options

isam said:

Sorry, missed it. Can you send it again, e.g. to my work address nick.palmer@buav.org? We have had a standing request for a stand for ages and are just not getting a reply other than "we are working on details and will get back to applicants".

@lizzyvaid on twitter is the organiser

Will send to you email
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Ishmael_X said:
    I've got a wager at evens with Dan that the Tories won't win most seats

• Options

Yes , of course they are Easterross , now where are those 6/7 Scottish Conservative MPs you were predicting would get elected in 2010 ?
    Mark for the purposes of this discussion, you, OGH and others ridiculed me for daring to suggest the LibDems would struggle to hold their existing seats and would go backwards when you were having a Cleggasm and looking at 80+ LibDems. As we know, I was the one proved right.

Actually I predicted 3-4 Scots Tory seats in 2010. Other than Charles Kennedy and Alistair Carmichael, how many Scottish LibDems do you see surviving? Currently they will be lucky to fill a taxi after the GE.
  • Options

GDP 0.8%.

If that is in the quarter that is superb. If it is annualised then not so good.
  • Options
    Q2 0.8% - Excellent figure.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Pulpstar said:

GDP 0.8%.

If that is in the quarter that is superb. If it is annualised then not so good.
    Its for the quarter. I think its 3.1% up on last year. I also wonder if we will see later revisions in construction so it might go even higher.

We are now 0.2% up on the 2008 peak GDP.
  • Options
    Annualised 3.1% to 3.2% - so 'superb'.
    Employment / unemployment stats also astonishing.
    But...we're still running a shocking deficit, alot worse than many of the 'poorer performing' economies. We're still deep underwater and horribly exposed to the next shock.
  • Options
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @JonathanD
    "We are now 0.2% up on the 2008 peak GDP."

How many more people though?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited July 2014
    Whatever they do I don't think they should call it a decapitation strategy as Cerise doesn't really fit the bill on an individual level like say Portillo did for lefties in 97.

edit: decapitation strategy always feels like bullying so needs to be only on people that are very disliked or symbolic

• Options
    BBC – “UK economy back at pre-crisis level”

UK economy grew by 0.8% in second quarter of 2014, official figures show

The figures, from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), show the economy is now 0.2% ahead of its pre-crisis peak, which was reached in the first quarter of 2008.

The ONS said the economy had grown 3.1% since the second quarter of last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28479902
  • Options
    @NickPalmer - Which part are you in? Friends (Labour councillors) take all their holidays in the north, because they like the un-touristy traditional flavour.

Northern Portugal is very unLabour-like. Deeply conservative and catholic. The south is where the reds live.
  • Options

@JackW

"Ross Murdoch's win was magnificent. Quite some medal ceremony too."

Did you see the cute outfits some of those guys were wearing? Breathtaking....

I'm not overly taken by the miniature swimming attire of the gentlemen !!

Mrs JackW on the other hand is rooted to my 10inch .... black and white tv.

• Options

Mark for the purposes of this discussion, you, OGH and others ridiculed me for daring to suggest the LibDems would struggle to hold their existing seats and would go backwards when you were having a Cleggasm and looking at 80+ LibDems. As we know, I was the one proved right.

Actually I predicted 3-4 Scots Tory seats in 2010. Other than Charles Kennedy and Alistair Carmichael, how many Scottish LibDems do you see surviving? Currently they will be lucky to fill a taxi after the GE.
    Fortunately we can look up your Scottish predictions for 2010 on your special overhyped article in November 2009 . Predicted conservative gains in Argyll , Berwick etc , D and G , Renfrew East !!!!!!! , 2 in Edinburgh plus holding the one they already had .

• Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Come on UKIP and northern Tories, how about a double tap strategy? Tories give UKIP free run vs. Red and UKIP let the Tories go for Balls alone.

You know it makes sense & would make for a load of fun during the election.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Odd timing by Labour:

Labour will launch its summer campaign later today. The centre-piece is Ed Miliband’s speech. He will present a ‘big choice’ to the British public, arguing that they cannot afford 5 more years of Conservative rule. Miliband’s argument is simple: the economy is broken, only we can fix it; the NHS is threatened, only we can save it; the Tories only represent the few, we care for the many.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/ed-miliband-stakes-all-on-his-big-choice/

So that's the first of his three messages torpedoed before it left the dock.
  • Options
    22 Words That Have A Totally Different Meaning In Politics

It is number 7 that made me laugh out loud

Foreign Secretary

What it usually means: How your slightly racist grandmother refers to the receptionist at her GP.

What it means in politics: A senior politician who travels the world attending endless conferences.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jonstone/statement-to-follow
  • Options

Odd timing by Labour:

Labour will launch its summer campaign later today. The centre-piece is Ed Miliband’s speech. He will present a ‘big choice’ to the British public, arguing that they cannot afford 5 more years of Conservative rule. Miliband’s argument is simple: the economy is broken, only we can fix it; the NHS is threatened, only we can save it; the Tories only represent the few, we care for the many.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/ed-miliband-stakes-all-on-his-big-choice/

So that's the first of his three messages torpedoed before it left the dock.

The Osborne message is fairly clear, will be interesting to see how it plays at next year's election given the slide in importance people are attaching to the economy.

"Economy grew by 0.8%. Thanks to the hard work of the British people, today we reach a major milestone in our #LongTermEconomicPlan

Economy bigger than previous peak in 2008 but long way to go-the Great Recession was one of deepest of any major economy & cost UK 6 years

We owe it to hardworking taxpayers not to repeat the mistakes of the past &instead work through the plan that's delivering economic security"
  • Options
    saddo said:

Come on UKIP and northern Tories, how about a double tap strategy? Tories give UKIP free run vs. Red and UKIP let the Tories go for Balls alone.

You know it makes sense & would make for a load of fun during the election.

It would allow me to do a thread with the headline

"Balls Deep in Trouble"
  • Options
    Also a dig by Osborne at the 'it started in America' crowd.

"Visiting @VirginMoney Newcastle, home to Northern Rock where crisis started. Now as economy passes pre-crisis peak they're creating 200 jobs"
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Richard_Nabavi

Odd because the GDP figures are announced today? or another odd?
  • Options
    Growth now nearly as much as the Govt inherited from Labour, before Ozzy killed it.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Odd because the GDP figures are announced today? or another odd?

The former, plus the IMF announcements of yesterday.
  • Options
    Ooh, scrummy!
  • Options
    Dr Stephen Fisher's latest 2015 GE Seats projection (showing changes over the past week ) is as follows:

Con .......... 299 seats (-5 seats)
    Lab ........... 295 seats (+5 seats)
    LibDem ...... 28 seats (-1 seat)
    Others ....... 28 seats (+1 seat)

Total ........ 650 seats
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

I'd be more concerned with the vote shares. Ukip weren't too far behind were they? Who's supporters were more likely to stay at home or come out for a local election. Was it just a mid-term protest? I very much doubt Miliband could lose his seat. I think it would only happen if Labour voters were convinced he was a duffer, that Cameron was nailed on for a majority and Doncaster wanted to make a point that Mili had Labour headed in the wrong direction.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Whilst seeing Miliband and Balls lose their seats would be amusing, I am holding betslips on them both so financially it would be bad news !
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Totally off topic, but. Trawling the internet at random I found this comment from Tim Fortescue, a guy who was a Tory whip in the 70’s.

"For anyone with any sense, who was in trouble, would come to the whips and tell them the truth, and say now, I’m in a jam, can you help? It might be debt, it might be… a scandal involving small boys, or any kind of scandal in which, erm er, a member seemed likely to be mixed up in, they’d come and ask if we could help and if we could, we did. And we would do everything we can because we would store up brownie points… and if I mean, that sounds a pretty, pretty nasty reason, but it’s one of the reasons because if we could get a chap out of trouble then, he will do as we ask forever more.”

HMMMM.
  • Options

Dr Stephen Fisher's latest 2015 GE Seats projection (showing changes over the past week ) is as follows:

Con .......... 299 seats (-5 seats)
    Lab ........... 295 seats (+5 seats)
    LibDem ...... 28 seats (-1 seat)
    Others ....... 28 seats (+1 seat)

Total ........ 650 seats

Swinging around equal seats for the moment.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Ooh, scrummy!
    Have you made a donation to the site for the bet you lost to me "Hugh"?
  • Options

Totally off topic, but. Trawling the internet at random I found this comment from Tim Fortescue, a guy who was a Tory whip in the 70’s.

"For anyone with any sense, who was in trouble, would come to the whips and tell them the truth, and say now, I’m in a jam, can you help? It might be debt, it might be… a scandal involving small boys, or any kind of scandal in which, erm er, a member seemed likely to be mixed up in, they’d come and ask if we could help and if we could, we did. And we would do everything we can because we would store up brownie points… and if I mean, that sounds a pretty, pretty nasty reason, but it’s one of the reasons because if we could get a chap out of trouble then, he will do as we ask forever more.”

HMMMM.

That's been on telly quite a lot recently, apparently Tories think its nothing to worry about
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Labour - if you are listening please for the love of God put some effort into Doncaster North and Morley & Outwood.

Offer UKIP a free run in Donny Central if you need to for not challenging Ed, Ed & Eddy.

Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.