Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What I cannot understand given their age profile is the lac

124»

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "... ideological attack on NHS values which I believe is the case by some on the right"

I don't know, Big John, what are these NHS values. From where I sit the NHS is there to provide the best treatment to whoever needs it free at the point of treatment are regardless of the ability to pay. Yet the NHS has for donkeys years been unable to fulfil that basic mission-statement. It can't; demand is infinite resources ain't. There has to be choice in who gets treated with what. Of course the more efficient the system is the more money for patient care is available and so not so many people have to suffer and/or die before their time.

Who is employing the person that is operating the machine is entirely irrelevant to me the patient. If giving ABC Health Company Ltd the contract to run my local hospital and as a result n% more people get treated, then that's fine by me. Your argument, is think, NHS direct employee = good, NHS indirect employee = bad, might make sense from the interest of the NHS employee it makes no sense at all from the point of view of the patient.

If outsourced services are so bloody awful for patients then you are going to have to explain Hitchinbroke.
  • Options

Message from Sean Connery

"Comrades! This is your Captain. It is an honour to sail with you today! The order is engage the Commonwealth Games drive!"

Bring back the like button!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

"... ideological attack on NHS values which I believe is the case by some on the right"

I don't know, Big John, what are these NHS values. From where I sit the NHS is there to provide the best treatment to whoever needs it free at the point of treatment are regardless of the ability to pay. Yet the NHS has for donkeys years been unable to fulfil that basic mission-statement. It can't; demand is infinite resources ain't. There has to be choice in who gets treated with what. Of course the more efficient the system is the more money for patient care is available and so not so many people have to suffer and/or die before their time.

Who is employing the person that is operating the machine is entirely irrelevant to me the patient. If giving ABC Health Company Ltd the contract to run my local hospital and as a result n% more people get treated, then that's fine by me. Your argument, is think, NHS direct employee = good, NHS indirect employee = bad, might make sense from the interest of the NHS employee it makes no sense at all from the point of view of the patient.

If outsourced services are so bloody awful for patients then you are going to have to explain Hitchinbroke.

If outsourced services are so great then you need to explain Birkdale: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Scandal-Leicestershire-patients-left-legal-limbo-private-op/story-12080908-detail/story.html

The problems at Hichinbrooke were financial rather than clinical. It remains to be seen if Circle Health are running a viable hospital or a loss leader to get other contracts.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The argument that an NHS nurse can earn 30% more by working for an agency has not been shot down as it is true. It is also true that an agency shift can cost £1000 and even after all on costs an agency shift will ALWAYS be bad VFM for the taxpayer.

Lets talk NHS more with the electorate.

May 2015 would be excellent timing.

Agency rates do not include holiday pay, sick pay, maternity pay or superannuation so the headline rare appears better. They can be good value ways of covering short term gaps in staffing, particularly if the absence of agency staff closes a ward or operating theatre.

One particularly bad aspect of the Labour restructuring of medical careers is that it has made health service Locums impossible to appoint, as there is no viable career for these doctors anymore.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    The NHS is toxic for the Tories; always has been, probably always will be....

In a very tight election, the NHS can easily swing the election towards Labour - the intelligent PB Tories in their heart of hearts know this.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    O/T yesterday's thread on marginals.

Think the civilised amongst us from all political allegiances will raise a glass when the Stockton South result comes in as a Labour gain.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Dear BigJohnows - you are saying the NHS is in deficit and unsustainable. The French NHS is in deficit. It continues to exist. The German NHS is in deficit. Or it was in 2010 when they put up mandatory insurance premiums. I suspect it still is. And it was not a few hundred million - it was about 11 billion euros.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Correct and the committment to more privatisation was in laboiur's 2010 manifesto. The left looked the other way - but it had to be there because Labour knew that the NHS needed it and they would have had to bring it in if re-elected.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218

Message from Sean Connery

"Comrades! This is your Captain. It is an honour to sail with you today! The order is engage the Commonwealth Games drive!"

Bring back the like button!
    Seek professional help.
This discussion has been closed.