Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes online and Opinium polls are out

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes online and Opinium polls are out

Most people, 56 per cent, said women were promoted for “presentational reasons” and only 24 per cent said women were promoted “on merit”.Overall, only 20 per cent said the reshuffle improved my view of the Conservative Party, while 54 per cent said it had not.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1st?
  • Options
    Sorry if already posted and to go o/t so soon.
    Why would the EU be granting money to the BBC?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/culturehousedaily/2014/02/the-millions-in-eu-funding-the-bbc-tried-to-hide/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited July 2014
    I realise that this is over-simplistic but it's notable that the Blues and Purples are both down one, and the Yellows up two.
    Should we read anything into this? NOTA??
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

I realise that this is over-simplistic but it's notable that the Blues and Purples are both down one, and the Yellows up two.
    Should we read anything into this? NOTA??

MoE - Lib Dems off the floor maybe.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    There really is sod all happening.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    BobaFett said:

speak for yourself BaF I'm currently blogging stark bollock naked at the village swingers' evening.

Bumpkinland - where all the action is.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    How's the ukip collapse looking?
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Good solid stuff for Labour.

A week that things stay the same (although there has been a drift to lab since the euro's) is a week that Labour wins.

It's no longer mid term guys. This with Labour dominating the marginals is Labour in.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good evening, everyone.

Not quite sure if Hamilton's starting from the pit lane (didn't realise he'd changed brake disc firms from Friday to Saturday).

More computer issues. Hoping it's relatively minor. *sighs*
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    BobaFett said:

Except that many in the West want to start a war with Russia. No matter what Russia is suspected to have done, this is pure crazy thinking.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    COMRES LAB 337 CON 259 LD 25 Other 29 (ukpr)

Ed is crap is pm 40 weeks to go
  • Options
    Opinium Lab 343 con 251 ld 27 other 29

EICIPM
  • Options
    ARSE One essential that will not change is that :

Ed Miliband Will Never Become Prime Minister

JacW
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    'Most people, 56 per cent, said women were promoted for “presentational reasons” '

Surprised at how low that is to be honest
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    If the Lib Dems really are delighted to still be in single figures in both polls, it just shows how far they've fallen.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

speak for yourself BaF I'm currently blogging stark bollock naked at the village swingers' evening.

That's really, really sad. That you're on pb, I mean! Isn't there ANYTHING more interesting?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    I sometimes see people asking if asking “if there was an election tomorrow” produces different results from “the next election in May 2015″. ComRes did a split sample this month asking and asked the two halves with the two different wordings: there was no significant difference. Asking about next May produced a Tory score one point higher, UKIP two points lower… but these differences could easily be normal sample error (especially given they were only to half sized samples).

If you really wanted to test if the different wordings had any effect you’d need to test on a much bigger scale to differentiate any effect from normal sample error, especially since any difference is likely to be small. Personally I doubt it does make any difference, but would always ask “tomorrow” on principle, just to emphasize that a poll really is a snapshot of opinion NOW, not a prediction of opinion next year.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8901
  • Options

BobaFett said:

That's really, really sad. That you're on pb, I mean! Isn't there ANYTHING more interesting?
    We were offered a weekend in London, but everyone yawned and no-one wanted to go.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

BobaFett said:

We were offered a weekend in London, but everyone yawned and no-one wanted to go.
    Soho, Notting Hill or Dagenham?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    IOS said:

A week that things stay the same (although there has been a drift to lab since the euro's) is a week that Labour wins.

It's no longer mid term guys. This with Labour dominating the marginals is Labour in.

It's not Mid Term, but it might still be too early to expect consistent crossover.

In the 83-87 Parliament it was the autumn of 1986 that saw the Tories get a consistent crossover (specifically from October 1986)

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-1983-1987

I think the final three months of 2014 are going to be critical for Conservative fortunes. If we end 2014 with the current Labour 3-4% lead holding steady I may have reconsider the chances of Con getting most seats and votes, but for now, there's still enough time for the Con's to make enough progress to hold the most seats next year.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Soho, Notting Hill or Dagenham?
    is there a difference ?

• Options
    I'm at the potters bar beer festival. A very wwc affair. The band are cranking out lots hits by the Jam and the Specials.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Lord Ashcroft teasing us about his marginal poll. Given the last one was crap for the Tories, are we to believe "some surprises" means that some seats have changed in favour of the Tories or Labour's lead is growing!
  • Options
    Anyone know where the fieldwork is being done for Ashcroft ?
  • Options
    IOS said:

Indeed it is not and the Tories are accordingly edging nearer to crossover. Evidenced by Prof. Fisher's latest projection showing them +9 seats over the past week with Labour -6 seats. Tories are also shown as being just 22 seats short of an overall majority.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm assuming it's the 14 Con held marginals as last time

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/LORD-ASHCROFT-POLLS-Marginals-report-May-2014.pdf
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm assuming it's the 14 Con held marginals as last time

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/LORD-ASHCROFT-POLLS-Marginals-report-May-2014.pdf
    If it isn't what are figures worth?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Opinium Lab 343 con 251 ld 27 other 29

EICIPM

WEDTP

• Options
    Does anyone know how YouGov selects its [nearly] daily poll sample, comprising ~ 2000 electors? It will be interesting to see whether their next poll is materially different from their last which showed Labour as having a 7% lead over the Tories and is looking more and more like an outlier as other polling results come in.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I'm unconvinced of the merits of marginal polling - and even less convinced of Ashcroft's weekly polls.
  • Options

Does anyone know how YouGov selects its [nearly] daily poll sample, comprising ~ 2000 electors? It will be interesting to see whether their next poll is materially different from their last which showed Labour as having a 7% lead over the Tories and is looking more and more like an outlier as other polling results come in.

You sign up for their panel and then they send out emails to different people on their panel.

You can join if you want, me, NickP and TSE are on their panel
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2014
    Looks to me like more evidence of continued creeping narrowing of the Labour lead, but is no where near enough for the Tories (they aren't appearing to be picking up that many %, it is rather Labour are more regularly going sub 35%).

Looks to me like Labour "35%" strategy scrapes them home / maybe a hung parliament.

I can't see how a) Labour will go much lower or b) that the Tories can gain 10% in 10 months.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I'm at the potters bar beer festival. A very wwc affair. The band are cranking out lots hits by the Jam and the Specials.

I've just finished a rather nice breakfast of pancakes and eggs, and am now driving down the canyon road to the beach
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

You sign up for their panel and then they send out emails to different people on their panel.

You can join if you want, me, NickP and TSE are on their panel
    I have indeed been on YouGov's panel, but gave up very soon afterwards as I found it all incredibly tedious!

What I really meant to ask is whether they have a rolling sample, or whatever the technical term might be, whereby this is changed by a certain percentage from day to day, so that the entire sample is only changed in its entirety every few polls.

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Peter from Putney

Remember the trend is your friend and not one week. Also Fisher completely underestimated the number of seats Labour would win in the local elections.

So Labour are a lot lot stronger.
  • Options

Looks to me like more evidence of continued creeping narrowing of the Labour lead, but is no where near enough for the Tories (they aren't appearing to be picking up that many %, it is rather Labour are more regularly going sub 35%).

Looks to me like Labour "35%" strategy scrapes them home / maybe a hung parliament.

I can't see how a) Labour will go much lower or b) that the Tories can gain 10% in 10 months.

But the Tories don't need to "gain 10% in 10 months" or anything near it. Prof. Fisher's latest projection is based on the GE share of the vote being : Con 36.2%, Lab 32.0% LD 10.4%, etc.
  • Options
    It looks like Crossover may have occured with ICM;

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2/icm

Need to see ICM August and September polls to be sure of course.

Talking of ICM I saw UKIP's Paul Nuttall being interviewed this week.

When challenged about UKIP declining in the polls he said something like;

"I don't take any notice of ICM polls".

I was wishing OGH was there to point out that ICM have the best general election record of any pollster going back to 1997, but alas the point was never raised.

• Options
    edited July 2014

But the Tories don't need to "gain 10% in 10 months" or anything near it. Prof. Fisher's latest projection is based on the GE share of the vote being : Con 36.2%, Lab 32.0% LD 10.4%, etc.
    I just don't believe that Labour will go that low. There are too many factors that keep Labour's core vote up, as I said I think they will get at least 34-35%. So as I understand it, Tories then need to get to at least 40% for a majority (which is 10% up on todays polls). I'm sure they will squeeze an extra few % from "hold your nose" UKIP supporters, but I think UKIP will still gain a significant percentage at GE from the "none of the above" brigade.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I was wishing OGH was there to point out that ICM have the best general election record of any pollster going back to 1997, but alas the point was never raised.

Is that not the poll from 13th July?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    Stephen Fisher is not alone in his assessment of the likely GE outcome - he is joined by other intellectuals, including Rod Crosby, Robert Smithson and, dare one say it, JackW's ARSE, etc, etc.
    Those who ignore this collective brain power do so at their peril!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited July 2014
    Russian ambassador to UK says "counterproductive for governments to announce their versions of disaster"

Like a surprising number of statements from out of the Kremlin, that sounds on the face of it to be pretty reasonable. Also, like an unsurprising number of those statements, it's one the Russians do not follow in practice any more than anyone else, with no hint of self awareness.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,323
    Charles said:

I've just finished a rather nice breakfast of pancakes and eggs, and am now driving down the canyon road to the beach
    I spent the day at the Butterfly House outside the Natural History Museum, and then Hyde Park. Very hot :)
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    If, by any chance, the labour figures hold up and DC and GO leave Downing Street next May, what jobs would be available to them? Can't see either of them being LotO.
  • Options
    YouGov only ask me about stuff on the Indyref these days not about Westminster VI.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Edin_Rokz said:

If, by any chance, the labour figures hold up and DC and GO leave Downing Street next May, what jobs would be available to them? Can't see either of them being LotO.

Cameron could become a Tony Blair tribute act.

More seriously, I think Cameron would walk away in a heart beat to private sector. Osborne, he is so political, I think he will hang in, believing his time will come.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Stephen Fisher is not alone in his assessment of the likely GE outcome - he is joined by other intellectuals, including Rod Crosby, Robert Smithson and, dare one say it, JackW's ARSE, etc, etc.

The Tories are going to win the most votes.

Only whether that will entail most seats or a majority is in question...
  • Options

Edin_Rokz said:

Cameron could become a Tony Blair tribute act.
    Is Blair still being paid as Middle East "Peace" "Envoy"?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Is that not the poll from 13th July?
    The graph sows all ICM polls going back to 2005. The past three months show Con with a lead in two polls and Lab with a lead in one poll.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

The US Lecture circuit at around £100,000 a pop, like Blair, Brown, etc.?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I'm thinking that we should have a PB poll and thread where people post their predictions.
  • Options

The Tories will get essentially the same share of vote as in 2010???
  • Options
    While there is no obvious sign of a "reshuffle bounce" for Cameron, his personal rating has improved markedly compared with two weeks ago. His net score – those of who approve of his leadership minus those who disapprove – having improved by eight points to -7.

But Miliband's rating has also improved by 6 points to -20.

.......Opinium also asked voters for their views on Gove's performance in more than four years as education secretary. While more voters thought he had done badly (39%) than well (26%), there were mixed opinions on his reforms of the school system and curriculum.

More people supported the expansion of the academy programme (34%) than opposed it (28%), while 30% had no view.

Similarly opinion was fairly evenly divided on the introduction of "free schools", with 31% backing the policy, 34% opposing it, and 28% having no opinion.

There was strong support, however, for his drive to make the english and history curriculums more focused on Britain with 57% backing the idea and only 16% opposing it.

Some 42% of voters thought Gove had been too unnecessarily combative and aggressive in his dealing with teachers and others, while 29% believed that he had had to be forceful to push through his reforms.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/19/david-cameron-cabinet-reshuffle-labour-poll-lead-slip
  • Options
    Check out Tim Shipman (Pol Ed of the Sunday Times) twitter feed.

Cameron going for Putin including sanctions

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound
  • Options

I'm thinking that we should have a PB poll and thread where people post their predictions.
    Good idea, although I think we've had such a PB poll already. But maybe this should be repeated monthly until the GE to identify any trends (although these would inevitably reflect the intervening polls to a large extent).

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

The Tories are going to win the most votes.

Only whether that will entail most seats or a majority is in question...
    I remember talking to a heavily involved Labour Activist who gave me the figures as follows: Tories must be 6% above consistently in the opinion polls, 1 labour vote = 1.3 tory vote = 2.5 LibDem vote.

That was until UKIP, Greens and SNP came in to spoil the fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

While there is no obvious sign of a "reshuffle bounce" for Cameron, his personal rating has improved markedly compared with two weeks ago. His net score – those of who approve of his leadership minus those who disapprove – having improved by eight points to -7.

But Miliband's rating has also improved by 6 points to -20.

.......Opinium also asked voters for their views on Gove's performance in more than four years as education secretary. While more voters thought he had done badly (39%) than well (26%), there were mixed opinions on his reforms of the school system and curriculum.

More people supported the expansion of the academy programme (34%) than opposed it (28%), while 30% had no view.

Similarly opinion was fairly evenly divided on the introduction of "free schools", with 31% backing the policy, 34% opposing it, and 28% having no opinion.

There was strong support, however, for his drive to make the english and history curriculums more focused on Britain with 57% backing the idea and only 16% opposing it.

Some 42% of voters thought Gove had been too unnecessarily combative and aggressive in his dealing with teachers and others, while 29% believed that he had had to be forceful to push through his reforms.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/19/david-cameron-cabinet-reshuffle-labour-poll-lead-slip

I would love to know if the questions were asked without Gove's name attached. I think it backs up that the public cautiously support what Gove has tried to do, but his name being attached to them brings a big negative reaction.

I seemed to remember they did that a couple of years ago with Osborne. Asked people do they support x or y idea, and it got decent response, if asked is Osborne any good / are his policies right, big thumbs down.

The myth of what Osborne was trying to do and what he was actually doing were two separately things. I bet if you still asked something like "Osborne massive cuts", the public would respond about the non-existent massive axe that has been taken to public spending.
  • Options

Good idea, although I think we've had such a PB poll already. But maybe this should be repeated monthly until the GE to identify any trends (although these would inevitably reflect the intervening polls to a large extent).

I shall pass on your suggestion to the powers that be.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    It is still ICM vs. the Rest. Methodology is crucial here. Who will be proven right ?

I think the rise of UKIP and debacle of LD must question the "spiral of silence" assumption. Many of those who would not admit to voting Tory now happily admit being UKIP supporters.

And assuming GE2010 LD voters who are now DK/WNV as "silent" LD voters is frankly incoherent.
  • Options
    F1: with computer woe, may do what I did in Spain and offer a tip I haven't backed myself. Spent the last couple of hours scanning, and with Hamilton's starting place uncertain the pre-race piece (assuming the computer plays nicely) will be up tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Front page of thr Sunday Times has Cameron saying

"This is an atrocity made in Russia"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs70MIoCYAAwTye.jpg
  • Options

The Tories will get essentially the same share of vote as in 2010???
    No. Less. Fisher's latest gymnastics produces a swing to Labour of 2%.
  • Options

Check out Tim Shipman (Pol Ed of the Sunday Times) twitter feed.

Cameron going for Putin including sanctions

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound

With apologies to the late great Kenny Everett:

"Let's bomb Russia! Let's kick Ed Miliband's speech therapist away!"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsokGIeQFFI
  • Options
    TSE - sorry about the duff Tiger tip, although there was a [profitable] exit opportunity after Day 1.

I'm on both Garcia and Fowler to win outright .... close but no cigar it would seem!
  • Options

Edin_Rokz said:

Do you have any evidence of Brown making money on the Lecture circuit for personal gain ?
  • Options
    Tim Shipman
    @ShippersUnbound
    Find out what Jon Cruddas really thinks about David Axelrod in the Sunday Times

I am sure he thinks he is awesome :-)
  • Options

TSE - sorry about the duff Tiger tip, although there was a [profitable] exit opportunity after Day 1.

I'm on both Garcia and Fowler to win outright .... close but no cigar it would seem!

It's ok, it's a rare duff tip from you.
  • Options
    F1: Maldonado staying at Lotus for 2015.
  • Options
    IOS said:

Peter from Putney

Remember the trend is your friend and not one week. Also Fisher completely underestimated the number of seats Labour would win in the local elections.

So Labour are a lot lot stronger.

Fisher's gymnastics cannot conceal his hilarious prediction of a 97% CON ABS MAJ certainty. He can row back as much as he likes refining his model. Everyone can do that.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    " the Lib Dems will be delighted to be up by 2% in both polls."

I suspect that we'll see Lib Dem/UKIP crossover before the next election, but I wouldn't want to hazard when. Is that thought to be likely by the markets?
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, Ladbrokes have altered their odds very significantly on who the 2014 F1 title winner will be. Is that 'rowing back'?

Models should be refined, and odds change as situations develop and the ultimate result comes nearer.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

LotO is no fun when you are opposing a Blair or a Thatcher, or - generally - a first-term government. Opposing a thin Lab majority (or minority or coalition) led by ed on the other hand could pay handsomely. I'd expect GO to be up for it.
  • Options

I suspect that we'll see Lib Dem/UKIP crossover before the next election, but I wouldn't want to hazard when. Is that thought to be likely by the markets?

Happened on Monday, with ICM
  • Options
    Mr. X, but would Conservative MPs be up for Osborne?

A Labour minority might see Cameron stay in position, depending on whether a second election seemed imminent.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

The best predictions are retrospective TSE. Cheers.

Is it likely to stick? (My guess is yes.)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Telegraph has headline "Voters approve Cabinet changes"

Not quite consistent with other polling.
  • Options

I'm thinking yes it will.

I've heard some shocking things from all parties about UKIP's lack of organisational and campaigning skill.

That's going to have an effect in 2015.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    F1: sounds like Mercedes are definitely changing Hamilton's brake discs to another firm's, it's a question of whether that counts as a safety change or not. If not, it's a breach of parc ferme[sp] and sees him start from the pit lane, as opposed to 15th.

Edited extra bit: anyway, off for the night.
  • Options
    Poll: David Cameron's reshuffle boosts Tories

Six in ten voters believe the reshuffle - which demoted Michael Gove and promoted several female ministers - was “a step in the right direction” for the Conservatives, ORB International survey shows

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10978470/Poll-David-Camerons-reshuffle-boosts-Tories.html
  • Options

ORB International survey shows

Who?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Edin_Rokz said:

I assume they'd quit parliament, or Cameron at least, given Osborne might fancy his chances as leader. Despite their ages they've been in high level politics for quite some time, and being in opposition and losing might not force someone from office, being in government and doing so would probably be enough these days.

I'm actually gratified Brown didn't do that, that him being elected as MP for his constituency should not be all about him being PM and quitting if that did not pan out, although I hear he is not especially active in any case. But Cameron, far younger than Brown? I think he'd quit and get a job elsewhere.

• Options
    Some voters said that they would struggle to back Ukip because of its “extreme” views (36 per cent) while others felt their vote would be wasted (21 per cent).

One in three voters - 33 per cent - name Mr Cameron as the best Prime Minister for Britain, regardless of their own voting intentions, confirming him as the most highly rated of all the party leaders.

He is far more popular with his own side than Mr Miliband is among Labour supporters. Some 90 per cent of Tory voters back Mr Cameron as Prime Minister, while only 59 per cent of Labour voters believe Mr Miliband is the best leader for Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10978470/Poll-David-Camerons-reshuffle-boosts-Tories.html
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Edin_Rokz said:

LotO is no fun when you are opposing a Blair or a Thatcher, or - generally - a first-term government. Opposing a thin Lab majority (or minority or coalition) led by ed on the other hand could pay handsomely. I'd expect GO to be up for it.
    LotO implies having lost the election. And the Tories will award the architect of defeat ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Chinese musicians playing Western music at BBC Proms, one of many huge cultural changes since 1989. Not easy to judge how good the performance really was, but Mao would have punished those who had shown interest in bourgeois foreign music, let alone perform it in public. Finishing with quotes from God Save The King or Heil dir im Siegkranz.

Looks as if I have missed a Cabinet reshuffle, assorted arrests linked to allegations of sexual malpractice enjoyed by tin foil hat wearers (or Miles Malpractice meets Captain Grimes).

My first words should have been has Vince been sacked?

• Options

Who?
    Osborne Research Bureau.
  • Options
    An interesting point (Ok, I think so) is that the citizenry are ignoring the political class and the media.

From what I've seen in Scotland is that most people have already decided how they are going to vote on Sept 18th, but, to maintain civility and social cohesion, they are not prepared to discuss their decision. People are not prepared to argue with friends and relatives that could alter relationships. They will make their mark on the ballot paper.

• Options

I've heard some shocking things from all parties about UKIP's lack of organisational and campaigning skill.

Even worse than the Tories ?
  • Options

Who?
    I believe they are the pollsters formerly known as Gallup
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ishmael_X said:

Edin_Rokz said:

LotO implies having lost the election. And the Tories will award the architect of defeat ?
    It could happen. Despite him being central, amazingly Cameron might get most of the blame and he could escape that much censure, especially if the economy keeps looking well. Enough people might assume if only Cameron had listened to him more they'd have been fine (despite, as far as I am aware, Cameron and Osborne working together very closely, unlike chancellors past).

That Ed M has managed to seemingly avoid any negative impact from his connection to the heart of Labour for a decade shows what is possible, although he at least had a smaller profile prior to becoming leader.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Even worse than the Tories ?
    Remind me, which party in this parliament had the biggest swing against them?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Do you have any evidence of Brown making money on the Lecture circuit for personal gain ?
    I didn't state that Brown had made money for personal gain on the US lecture circuit, although this piece from The Daily Telegraph, dating back to February 2012, refers to "Mr Brown’s role as Global Leader in Residence at New York University [having] earned him more than £180,000 in fees and expenses."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/gordon-brown/9088284/Gordon-Brown-rakes-in-more-than-1-million-on-lecture-circuit.html
  • Options

It doesn't matter what the size is. a gravestone is still a gravestone.
  • Options
    OK, maybe they're not quite Gallup

Disclaimer: WIN/Gallup International Association or its members are not related to Gallup Inc., headquartered in Washington D.C which is no longer a member of Gallup International Association. Gallup International Association does not accept responsibility for opinion polling other than its own. We require that our surveys be credited fully as Gallup International (not Gallup or Gallup Poll).

http://www.wingia.com/en/countries/United Kingdom/
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ishmael_X said:

Edin_Rokz said:

LotO implies having lost the election.
    Nothing gets by you, does it?

The implied question was whether Osborne would want the job, not whether it would be available to him.

• Options

Disclaimer: WIN/Gallup International Association or its members are not related to Gallup Inc., headquartered in Washington D.C which is no longer a member of Gallup International Association. Gallup International Association does not accept responsibility for opinion polling other than its own. We require that our surveys be credited fully as Gallup International (not Gallup or Gallup Poll).

That's as clear as mud.
  • Options

Some voters said that they would struggle to back Ukip because of its “extreme” views (36 per cent) while others felt their vote would be wasted (21 per cent).

He is far more popular with his own side than Mr Miliband is among Labour supporters. Some 90 per cent of Tory voters back Mr Cameron as Prime Minister

This is one of those figures that is pretty longstanding and yet surprises me every time. Most conservative commentators seem lukewarm on Cameron - he has prominent cheerleaders, but plenty who are less than satisfied - and it feels like on every issue he is assailed by rebellious backbenchers and angry grassroots because he is not UKIP enough for their tastes. I wouldn't be surprised that a vocal minority outweigh a silent majority, or that push comes to shove most still back him as PM, but the proportions still surprise me.

The party has seemed less troublesome for the last year though, I'll give them that. Either resigned to defeat so no point in trying to oust him, or genuinely more disciplined than I had thought possible from them, along with a little bit of position strengthening thanks to the economy I'd guess.
  • Options
    Seriously, who are the ORB ?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,463
    kle4 said:

Russian ambassador to UK says "counterproductive for governments to announce their versions of disaster"

Like a surprising number of statements from out of the Kremlin, that sounds on the face of it to be pretty reasonable. Also, like an unsurprising number of those statements, it's one the Russians do not follow in practice any more than anyone else, with no hint of self awareness.

As far as I can tell, they haven't proposed their own version of events. They have called for an international investigation.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    surbiton said:

Seriously, who are the ORB ?

Sounds like a good organisation to poll in some regions of the UK

http://www.opinion.co.uk/
  • Options

That's as clear as mud.
    ORB are part of the British Polling Council so they are genuine pollsters.

• Options
    STAR: Tragic Jill probed BBC paedo ring

I wouldn't normally quote the Star, and not a pinch of salt, more like a lorry load, but if true...WTF....is there anybody who didn't have a dossier on paedo rings?
This discussion has been closed.