Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

If you’re Under Pressure tonight, why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good evening, everyone.

I occasionally think of learning more about Edward I and Edward III. It must be said Aurelian puts them both to shame.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    FTP

Jesus Felix.

You can't justify blowing kids on a beach up. But fine if you want to compare the Israeli government to a bunch of murders then fine please do. Israel as a state is meant to be better but it really isn't.

I honestly think the west should let Israel get on with itself. It can't survive without being a client state. It should be allowed to fail.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,522
    edited July 2014

Good evening, everyone.

I occasionally think of learning more about Edward I and Edward III. It must be said Aurelian puts them both to shame.

I shall educate you, I'm quite the history teacher, as I've shown you many times.

Edward I is a bit of a hero of mine, well hero is maybe not the right word.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited July 2014
    FPT
    TGOHF said:
    The ranking is averaged 1995-2010 so the actual ranks (if i added it right) for the NHS was:
    8th (1950-1955)
    10th (1955-1960)
    10th (1960-1965)
    10th (1965-1970)
    13th (1970-1975)
    14th (1975-1980)
    16th (1980-1985)
    18th (1985-1990)
    13th in the 1990-1995 column <-- dunno what happened here
    21st in the 1995-2000 column
    27th in the 2000-2005 column
    29th in the 2005-2010 column

The only countries ahead at the beginning were the usual list of small & sensible: Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland, Austria, Switzerland, New Zealand, Australia, Czechs.

Britain was miles ahead of all the big countries gradually dropping from 1970-ish as other sensible countries caught up (Finland, Germany, Japan etc) then plummeting towards 3rd world status in the last 20 years.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, it's interesting how some kings and emperors have reputations that ebb and flow (the Lionheart being a good example) and others have ones that are always great or awful (Trajan/Edward III and Jovian/Edward II).
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, it's interesting how some kings and emperors have reputations that ebb and flow (the Lionheart being a good example) and others have ones that are always great or awful (Trajan/Edward III and Jovian/Edward II).

King John has a similar issues.

Ditto LBJ.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    FPT
    @‌JackW If you fire at a packed beach in summer it's highly likely that many there will be children playing.

Artillery shells are not smart weapons.

Join the dots.

It wasn't Brighton beach.

It was in the middle of an offensive that Israel had warned about.

If the rocket attacks on Israel stopped, so would the counter-strikes.

That enough dots for you?

• Options
    MarkHopkins

Where were they supposed to go. Gaza is penned in. Israel is a disgrace and what's more the client state backers are more and more getting sick of their actions. Without US backing Israel wouldn't be able to survive.

If they are going to behave like this many will ask why should they.
  • Options
    IOS said:

MarkHopkins

Where were they supposed to go. Gaza is penned in. Israel is a disgrace and what's more the client state backers are more and more getting sick of their actions. Without US backing Israel wouldn't be able to survive.

If they are going to behave like this many will ask why should they.

What is the alternative? Sit there and let Hamas rockets repeatedly hit them?

Israel has offered peace again and again, and been turned down.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, Sean McGlynn, author of the excellent By Sword and Fire, reckons John was only viewed positive by revisionists who put bean-counting ahead of real leadership (I paraphrase, but that's my impression).
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Israel's model is a small, militaristic, aggressive, terrorist brutally expansionist State, fuelled by an omnipresent but wholly imaginary existential threat and threads of religious fervour.

That cannot possibly be sustainable. Something will give sometime, but heck knows what.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

FPT
    @‌JackW If you fire at a packed beach in summer it's highly likely that many there will be children playing.

Join the dots.

Israel seems to engage in tit-for-tat reprisals. Targeted removal of the perpetrators, or assuming they are not identifiable, Palestinian state targets and security forces, would be more supportable.

One might assume that Israel thinks its interests are best served by keeping Palestinian state forces and security intact, so carries out reprisals that might not strictly be aimed at civilians, but are at least negligent in their targeting.

• Options

Mr. Eagles, Sean McGlynn, author of the excellent By Sword and Fire, reckons John was only viewed positive by revisionists who put bean-counting ahead of real leadership (I paraphrase, but that's my impression).

I understand that.

He signed* the Magna Carta

*Well sealed it.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

FPT

Join the dots.

How many of those rockets get through Israeli defences? How many Israeli projectiles get through to the target?

Shouldn't Israel be better than the base reaction of retaliation and intimidation?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    About 12. Christie has made a mess of New Jersey especially on the economic front so much that its on the verge of bankruptcy and a collapse of its pension system.
    Although he is trying to make something out of the disaster that is N.J. so far miserably.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/the-rock-chris-christie-video-108988.html?hp=r10

Even if he escapes jail from all the scandals, his record as governor stinks.

He can simply be knocked out by another candidate with this:
    " I will not mentioned Gov.Christie's scandals and multiple problems with the law, but I will mention his record of N.J. under Christie having the highest unemployment, the highest crime records, a collapsed pension system and pushing it to the verge of bankruptsy. I prefer to make N.J more like the rest of america rather than make the rest of america like Chris Christie's N.J.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, wasn't he forced to do that after failing to assert his authority? Credit for it deserves to go to the barons who made him do it.
  • Options
    SeanT

Sadly you are wrong. This isn't the worst PR mistake they have ever made. They do it all the time. ALL THE TIME.

We are just desensitized. A few days complaining and then we forget. It's the people is Gaza that have to live with the humiliation and collective punishment all day every day.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, wasn't he forced to do that after failing to assert his authority? Credit for it deserves to go to the barons who made him do it.

Maybe
  • Options
    philiph said:

FPT

Join the dots.

How many of those rockets get through Israeli defences? How many Israeli projectiles get through to the target?

Shouldn't Israel be better than the base reaction of retaliation and intimidation?
    10% of rockets, 100% of projectiles.
  • Options
    @philiph

How many of those rockets get through Israeli defences?

Too many:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=339_1405352725

How many Israeli projectiles get through to the target?

They do their best:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=932_1405267484

Indeed. But other than offering peace repeatedly, which they have, what do you suggest?

• Options
    Look at the Lib Dems surge, up 50% in one day

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 8s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead drops one to three points: CON 33%, LAB 36%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    Hugh.

We've decided to start clamping down a bit on insults etc. I missed the first one earlier but you've now repeated it recently on the last thread. Tone it down.
  • Options
    Mark

How about they:

Stop illegally building settlements
    Open up the Gaza boarder
    Knock down the wall
    Stop Collective punishment
    Stop shelling beaches (they have killed people this way before)
    Stop diverting water and other resources away from Palestinian territory
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

FPT

Join the dots.

Rarely has a PBer written such utter foolishness and there have been some outstanding contenders in the past.

The attack was in broad daylight where it was obvious that the beach was like any other, even in conflict situations, seen as a haven for families to forget their troubles for a few hours.

The fact that Israel kindly gave notice of their extensive offensive doesn't give them a pass to kill indiscriminately.

Equally Hamas is also guilty of the same crimes. At some stage the equivalence of death will take its toll but that prospect is as far away as ever.

Israel and Palestine will not enjoy peace until they finally resolve that neither will destroy each other and their respective cheerleaders only lengthen the day that resolution is achieved and that includes you.

Both sides need to join the dots together.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

FPT

Join the dots.

As I mentioned in the last thread, in the past when Palestinians have left in the face of war, Israel declared their homes forfeit and seized them.
  • Options
    YouGov

Lab 339 (PM Ed Miliband majority 28)
    Con 266
    Lib 18
  • Options
    edited July 2014

@philiph

How many of those rockets get through Israeli defences?

Too many:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=339_1405352725

How many Israeli projectiles get through to the target?

They do their best:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=932_1405267484

Indeed. But other than offering peace repeatedly, which they have, what do you suggest?

The last time Israel offered peace was the Oslo accords, which collapsed when Arafat refused to accept an altered border to put some settlements into Israel.
    Since then first Sharon, then Olmert and now Netanyahu have never offered or talked of another peace agreement.
    Israel offered peace only once 20 years ago.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Good evening, everyone.

I shall educate you, I'm quite the history teacher, as I've shown you many times.

Is Malleus Scotorum the right word(s)? Don't tell Mr Salmond ;-)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    philiph said:

FPT

Join the dots.

Israel is a TERROR STATE. THe EU should start work on sanctions on Israel.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Good evening, everyone.

Yup.

I used to misread it as Hammer of the Scrotum.

Which made me wince.
  • Options

Hugh.

We've decided to start clamping down a bit on insults etc. I missed the first one earlier but you've now repeated it recently on the last thread. Tone it down.

Will do.
  • Options
    IOS said:

Mark

How about they:

Open up the Gaza boarder
    Knock down the wall

The Israeli government has clamped down on illegal settlements (much to the frustration of fundamentalists). When the border was open weapons were repeatedly taken in. The wall only exists to stop suicide bombers (and has been quite successful at that). Etc.

You are attacking Israel for defending herself.

If Hamas was attacking you and your family and friends, would you be so complacent?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

philiph said:

FPT

Join the dots.

Israel is a TERROR STATE. THe EU should start work on sanctions on Israel.
    It cant be done, Britain, Poland and Sweden (for the next 2months) will veto it.
  • Options

IOS said:

Mark

How about they:

Open up the Gaza boarder
    Knock down the wall

The Israeli government has clamped down on illegal settlements (much to the frustration of fundamentalists). When the border was open weapons were repeatedly taken in. The wall only exists to stop suicide bombers (and has been quite successful at that). Etc.

If Hamas was attacking you and your family and friends, would you be so complacent?
    What about a peace treaty?
    You know if there is peace none of those things will be necessary.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Greetings from the Danish capital. Thinking of going to Malmö tomorrow. Any tips? Is it worth going? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

IOS said:

Mark

How about they:

Open up the Gaza boarder
    Knock down the wall

When the Warsaw ghetto attacked the Third Reich;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising
  • Options
    Mark

You aren't defending when you are an occupying force. And as for the government clamping down on settlements. Don't make me laugh.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MrJones said:

FPT

TGOHF said:
    The ranking is averaged 1995-2010 so the actual ranks (if i added it right) for the NHS was:
    8th (1950-1955)
    10th (1955-1960)
    10th (1960-1965)
    10th (1965-1970)
    13th (1970-1975)
    14th (1975-1980)
    16th (1980-1985)
    18th (1985-1990)
    13th in the 1990-1995 column
    The rankings do conceal a number of issues, some of which are described on this article:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db23.htm

The main reason for the low US ranking is that in the USA there are more premature births (which have much higher mortality) and also different ways of recording live births. If a baby is recorded as still born in one country and recorded as a live birth in the other, but dying after a few hours the second country appear to have a higher infant death rate.

There are a number of other reasons that international comparisons are fraught with difficulty: attitudes to abortion for birth defects vary between countries as do rates of cousinginous marriages. Around half of children in some substantial ethnic communities in the UK are products of marriages where the parents are genetically related often as firs cousins. These children have far higher mortality rates from inherited defects.

There is room for improvement in maternity services, but as ever the solutions are not as simple as some would have it.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes
    Hearing interesting European announcement tomorrow. @bbcnickrobinson to be conduit. @JohnRentoul
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all and it seems the Middle East is no nearer a lasting settlement. I tend towards supporting Israel but until it realises that constant breach of UN Resolutions and turfing more Palestinians off their land to build settlements for Russian and Eastern European Jews, will not make the Palestinians lay down their rockets etc.

Of course until the USA, UK and others make Israel comply and return to the 1967 boundaries, it wont happen and more innocents on both sides will continue to die needlessly.

Closer to home, Dave should tell Juncker that if the Euro wonks want to veto Lord Hill, the UK will turn off the tap and the Euro gravy train Juncker and chums take for granted will soon dry up.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the Bland one and Hattie met after PMQs this afternoon. For once I am with Hattie. At least she was only telling the truth about Labour's tax plans.

I wonder which PBers have been brave and started to place bets on Labour MPs losing marginal to the Tory challenger next May. No doubt there will be a few of them.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Greetings from the Danish capital. Thinking of going to Malmö tomorrow. Any tips? Is it worth going? Thanks in advance.

Try Helsingor and visit the famous kronborg castle known from Hamlet.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2014
    AndyJS said:

I would say no. If you want a trip out of the city, go to Louisiana or Helsingor instead.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Good evening, everyone.

Yup.

Which made me wince.
    Well indeed it would...

He was also responsible for State infrastructure spending on a large scale here in Wales - castles in other words.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

IOS said:

Mark

How about they:

Open up the Gaza boarder
    Knock down the wall

What about a peace treaty?
    You know if there is peace none of those things will be necessary.
    Hamas charter in
  • Options
    JackW said:

FPT

Join the dots.

Rarely has a PBer written such utter foolishness and there have been some outstanding contenders in the past.

The attack was in broad daylight where it was obvious that the beach was like any other, even in conflict situations, seen as a haven for families to forget their troubles for a few hours.

The fact that Israel kindly gave notice of their extensive offensive doesn't give them a pass to kill indiscriminately.

Equally Hamas is also guilty of the same crimes. At some stage the equivalence of death will take its toll but that prospect is as far away as ever.

Israel and Palestine will not enjoy peace until they finally resolve that neither will destroy each other and their respective cheerleaders only lengthen the day that resolution is achieved and that includes you.

Do you think the statement "If the rocket attacks on Israel stopped, so would the counter-strikes" is foolish?

Do you think that Israel deliberately targeted children? FFS.

Israel and Palestine will not enjoy peace until they finally resolve that neither will destroy each other and their respective cheerleaders only lengthen the day that resolution is achieved

Agreed. Although not holding my breath.

and that includes you.

I'm not pro-Israeli, nor their cheerleader. Nor presumably are you a Hamas cheerleader?

• Options

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes
    Hearing interesting European announcement tomorrow. @bbcnickrobinson to be conduit. @JohnRentoul

An independent Scotland will only be allowed to join the EU if it holds the Indyref under AV
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2014
    @TSE

King John has mixed reviews? What nonsense is this. Heaven knows I am not adverse to taking a fresh look at history, but what possible redeeming features did John have?

In similar vein Mr. Dancer mentions Edward II as being a king whose reputation had ebbed and flowed over the years. Faced with such a statement of ahistorical nonsense the more robust element on here might make mention to testicles. Edward II was a dreadful king by any standard and if he were not actually murdered in the manner depicted in the play he deserved to be.

Mr. Dancer time spent on studying the life and works of Edward III will be amply rewarded and you will find it a more satisfying course of study than that of a nasty Bulgarian peasant who slit his way through the ranks to usurp the throne of a dying empire.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Good evening, everyone.

Yup.

Which made me wince.
    Well indeed it would...

He was also responsible for State infrastructure spending on a large scale here in Wales - castles in other words.
    Ah yes.
  • Options

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

Lord Hill to be refused as commissioner perhaps.
  • Options

@TSE

King John has mixed reviews? What nonsense is this. Heaven knows I am not adverse to taking a fresh look at history, but what possible redeeming features did John have?

In similar vein Mr. Dancer mentions Edward II as being a king whose reputation had ebbed and flowed over the years. Faced with such a statement of ahistorical nonsense the more robust element on here might make mention to testicles. Edward II was a dreadful king by any standard and if he were not actually murdered in the manner depicted in the play he deserved to be.

Mr. Dancer time spent on studying the life and works of Edward III will be amply rewarded and you will find it a more satisfying course of study than that of a nasty Bulgarian peasant who slit his way through the ranks to usurp the throne of a dying empire.

I was joking. If he wasn't so bad then we'd never have the Magna Carta which I think is a key moment in English history

Anyone who loses a war to the Frogs deserves to buggered senseless by well endowed donkeys for eternity.
  • Options
    SeanT

I hope you are right but sadly I doubt it. We will still be here in a decades time saying the same things.

Israel does not care. Unless the west stops selling them guns and giving them money they won't stop.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    A LOT of gloomy links for Labour in TSE thread header.

Why don't Labour save themselves a lot of time and money and just announce they will be withdrawing from Election 2015 to leave the way clear for Con/Libs to carry on until 2020?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    The Sikh lady on the bbc immigration program should be the face of an anti immigration campaign. If she was a white man she would be getting dogs abuse on twitter for telling the truth

White non ukippers play the man not the ball, and always will, and nothing will change until immigrants, or their descendants who feel the same are heard. This guardian poll three years ago showed that race didn't play a big part into attitudes about immigration

"According to the survey, 39% of Asian Britons, 34% of white Britons and 21% of black Britons wanted all immigration into the UK to be stopped permanently, or at least until the economy improved. And 43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agreed with the statement that "immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country".

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/feb/27/support-poll-support-far-right

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

IOS said:

Mark

How about they:

Open up the Gaza boarder
    Knock down the wall

When the Warsaw ghetto attacked the Third Reich;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising
    Oh no ! You can't say that. Israel can do no wrong. If occupied Palestinians even throw a stone, they are termed terrorists. The French Resistance presumably were terrorists too. Attacking an occupying power.

What was Menachem Begin and the Irgun. They blew up King David Hotel killing 108 British soldiers. Were they terrorists ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    IOS said:

Mark

You aren't defending when you are an occupying force. And as for the government clamping down on settlements. Don't make me laugh.

If a neighbouring country were carrying out repeated rocket attacks on the United Kingdom, I rather hope that our government would retaliate.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Good evening, everyone.

Yup.

Which made me wince.
    Well indeed it would...

Edward I really did care about his subjects.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

A LOT of gloomy links for Labour in TSE thread header.

Why don't Labour save themselves a lot of time and money and just announce they will be withdrawing from Election 2015 to leave the way clear for Con/Libs to carry on until 2020?

I count 2 gloomy for Labour (1 and 5) and 4 gloomy for the Tories (4,6,7,8).
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    "A LOT of gloomy links for Labour in TSE thread header."....now that is so unusual...err, not.

Show me the crossover.....Show me the crossover!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

FPT

Join the dots.

Do you think the statement "If the rocket attacks on Israel stopped, so would the counter-strikes" is foolish?

Israel and Palestine will not enjoy peace until they finally resolve that neither will destroy each other and their respective cheerleaders only lengthen the day that resolution is achieved

and that includes you.

I'm not pro-Israeli, nor their cheerleader. Nor presumably are you a Hamas cheerleader?

Of course Israel targets children as does Hamas. It cannot be disputed.

Any armed force that uses artillery shells in civilian areas will kill children.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

Does that count as interesting?

Given that Nick Robinson is apparently going to get the scoop, I suspect it will be a positive story
  • Options

MrJones said:

FPT

TGOHF said:
    8th (1950-1955)
    10th (1955-1960)
    10th (1960-1965)
    10th (1965-1970)
    13th (1970-1975)
    14th (1975-1980)
    16th (1980-1985)
    18th (1985-1990)
    The rankings do conceal a number of issues, some of which are described on this article:

The main reason for the low US ranking is that in the USA there are more premature births (which have much higher mortality) and also different ways of recording live births. If a baby is recorded as still born in one country and recorded as a live birth in the other, but dying after a few hours the second country appear to have a higher infant death rate.

There are a number of other reasons that international comparisons are fraught with difficulty: attitudes to abortion for birth defects vary between countries as do rates of cousinginous marriages. Around half of children in some substantial ethnic communities in the UK are products of marriages where the parents are genetically related often as firs cousins. These children have far higher mortality rates from inherited defects.

There is room for improvement in maternity services, but as ever the solutions are not as simple as some would have it.
    You missed out the lines showing Britain plummeting to 3rd world status

• Options

AndyJS said:

I would say no. If you want a trip out of the city, go to Louisiana or Helsingor instead.
    I'd second this. Louisiana is about 30 mins north of Copenhagen on the local train in Hummelbaek ( I think). Interesting modern art/design stuff. Helsingor ( "Elsinore" of Hamlet fame) further north is but about two miles from Sweden for a short hop over. If you're in to Wallander, Ystad is about 30 mins beyond Malmo ( all via "the Bridge" of course ). Interesting little village really with a ferry port. Worth an afternoon. The tickets are all seamless across the Copenhagen/Malmo area rail network.
  • Options

@TSE

John lost most of his lands in France, and provoked a French invasion of England that nearly succeeded.

• Options

Closer to home, Dave should tell Juncker that if the Euro wonks want to veto Lord Hill, the UK will turn off the tap and the Euro gravy train Juncker and chums take for granted will soon dry up.

he does seem to have a bit of an underwhelming CV for our only Commissioner but then so did Cathy Ashton I suppose. One can only guess what favour he did Cammo to deserve his ticket on the gravy train.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    18. Most of my Scottish 22x great grandfathers whose identities I am aware of swore fealty to Edward I after the death of the Maid of Norway with the exception of Sir Andrew Moray. One captured William Wallace and handed him over to Edward I. However 700 years ago last month they kicked shit out of Edward II's army at Bannockburn. However several of them were then killed when the army of Edward III kicked shit out of the Scottish army at Halidon Hill in 1333 when the Scots had been trying to relieve Berwick-upon-Tweed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Peter hitchens on the reshuffle

"I do hope it doesn’t impress any voters, being – apart from anything else - so absurdly insincere and so unsubtly slick, with thighs being flashed on Downing Street and the pathetic PR men who now masquerade as political reporters in much of the media falling for every crude trick in the book.

Maybe it will work. The relentless smearing of Ed Miliband is plainly working, and I find quite educated and conscious people, some of them on the left, now parroting the ‘nerd’ and ‘useless’ attacks cooked up in some Downing Street pantry by the Prime Minister’s propaganda butler. "

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2014/07/some-musings-on-the-reshuffle-career-women-whips-and-blobs.html
  • Options
    Times YouGov/Poll

The man that Mr Crosby described as a “think-tank on legs” lost the education portfolio and today’s Times/ YouGov poll suggests that the Crosby advice might have been sound. Only 11 per cent of voters wanted Mr Gove to stay as education secretary. Nearly two thirds wanted him gone.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    SeanT said:

Evening all and it seems the Middle East is no nearer a lasting settlement. I tend towards supporting Israel but until it realises that constant breach of UN Resolutions and turfing more Palestinians off their land to build settlements for Russian and Eastern European Jews, will not make the Palestinians lay down their rockets etc.

Of course until the USA, UK and others make Israel comply and return to the 1967 boundaries, it wont happen and more innocents on both sides will continue to die needlessly.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the Bland one and Hattie met after PMQs this afternoon. For once I am with Hattie. At least she was only telling the truth about Labour's tax plans.

I wonder which PBers have been brave and started to place bets on Labour MPs losing marginal to the Tory challenger next May. No doubt there will be a few of them.

May I just mention that about a year ago I hypothesised that one way for Cameron to win the GE was to engineer a HUGE row with the EU at a crucial point before the GE, this ensuring all the Kippers comes home as Dave Stands Up For Britain.

A massive bust up with Brussels as they veto our noble commissioner merely for having a mildly eurosceptic opinion would seem to fit my scenario, quite perfectly.
    That would lead to the opposite as Dace will be forced to choose someone less eurosceptic for commissioner by Brussels.
    In effect he would cede the choice of commissioner to the EU.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Speedy said:

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

Given that Nick Robinson is apparently going to get the scoop, I suspect it will be a positive story
    Odds on us annexing Belgium? Or are we invading Luxembourg with the Parachute Regiment? That'll teach Juncker!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

he does seem to have a bit of an underwhelming CV for our only Commissioner but then so did Cathy Ashton I suppose. One can only guess what favour he did Cammo to deserve his ticket on the gravy train.

Not be an MP so no election required
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Spineless LDs to flip flop on spare room subsidy.
  • Options

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

Paul Staines getting lubricated with his Torygraph chums and bashing on his iphone like Shakepeare's monkeys again?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

enabling act
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    GIN1138 said:
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO two days ago!
  • Options

welshowl said:

Good evening, everyone.

Yup.

Which made me wince.
    Operation Spanner.

• Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

FPT

TGOHF said:
    8th (1950-1955)
    10th (1955-1960)
    10th (1960-1965)
    10th (1965-1970)
    13th (1970-1975)
    14th (1975-1980)
    16th (1980-1985)
    18th (1985-1990)

You missed out the lines showing Britain plummeting to 3rd world status

Not deliberatly. Have you read and understood my comments? Which third world country are we ranked below?

And did you notice on this chart how infant mortality has been going down in the UK?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Speedy said:

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

Lansley related perhaps .... signing as the new goalie for PSG as Lloris stayed at the Lane?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

welshowl said:

Good evening, everyone.

Yup.

Which made me wince.
    Operation Spanner.

Heh.

Confession time.

Living/Spending so much time in Manchester/The Village, someone tried to sign me for the Spanner Trust and make donations to said trust.

http://www.spannertrust.org/
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

FPT

Join the dots.

and that includes you.

Of course Israel targets children as does Hamas. It cannot be disputed.

Any armed force that uses artillery shells in civilian areas will kill children.

We don't know that they were shells. They could have been guided missiles that went astray; not enough info yet.

According to the BBC: "Israel initially observed the ceasefire on Tuesday, but resumed its strikes amid continued rocket fire from Gaza." So who should we really blame for this abhorrent incident?

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

@TSE

He did some dull things reasonably well, admin, legal system, etc (John). But overall he's a very poor king.
  • Options
    philiph said:

There are other Tory peers.

• Options
    U turn from the yellow jellyfish

@Kevin_Maguire: Better late than never MT @DailyMirror front page: 'Clegg - We must axe #BedroomTax' http://t.co/GjxXF38gVy
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    TSE get's usual leftie moans for the choices and yet missed St Hodges one just to be fair...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100280380/harriet-harman-has-made-the-first-major-gaff-of-the-next-election/
  • Options

"A LOT of gloomy links for Labour in TSE thread header."....now that is so unusual...err, not.

Show me the crossover.....Show me the crossover!

It'll happen at the same time as SWINGBACK!

RodCrosby's latest forecast has a 104% chance of a 672 seat Tory Majority, haven't you been keeping up?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

enabling act
    enabling act?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

GIN1138 said:
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO two days ago!
    It's the only one that counts tho.`

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 907
    My late friend's son is one of our men in Palestine - we don't actually have an embassy - goodness knows what he actually does. Neither side seems to listen to any one .
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e17762efe2cccb1f0ed943c1f&id=84ff466936&e=54cc53d726

Groundbreaking New Poll of Minimum Wage Earners from Survation & Unite
  • Options

philiph said:

There are other Tory peers.

He was the most senior.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @TSE

"... we'd never have the Magna Carta which I think is a key moment in English history "

Victorian melodramatic nonsense. Aside from the fact that it was renounced by John almost before the ink was dry (most of what we think of Magna Carta actually came from the reign of Henry III) the bulk of it had bugger all to do with the rights of ordinary people but about the rights of the nobility.
  • Options

MrJones said:

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

enabling act
    enabling act?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933

EU taking over economic policy maybe

• Options
    edited July 2014

TSE get's usual leftie moans for the choices and yet missed St Hodges one just to be fair...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100280380/harriet-harman-has-made-the-first-major-gaff-of-the-next-election/

Always amuses me, out of the first 8 links, 5 aren't good for the Tories/Dave
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Anyone got any ideas?

Guido Fawkes

enabling act
    enabling act?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933

EU taking over economic policy maybe

Would seem pretty unlikely.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Clegg really does have no bottom does he
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

May I just mention that about a year ago I hypothesised that one way for Cameron to win the GE was to engineer a HUGE row with the EU at a crucial point before the GE, this ensuring all the Kippers comes home as Dave Stands Up For Britain.

A massive bust up with Brussels as they veto our noble commissioner merely for having a mildly eurosceptic opinion would seem to fit my scenario, quite perfectly.
    That would lead to the opposite as Dace will be forced to choose someone less eurosceptic for commissioner by Brussels.
    In effect he would cede the choice of commissioner to the EU.
    No, he could simply refuse to yield, thus causing a prolonged legal battle as he stands up for eurosceptic Brits. Seems pretty much win-win for Dave.
    What if the EU accepts it and Britain doesn't have a commissioner?
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Clegg really does have no bottom does he

Hence why on 6%

• Options

Sean_F said:

welshowl said:

Good evening, everyone.

Yup.

Which made me wince.
    Operation Spanner.

Heh.

Confession time.

Living/Spending so much time in Manchester/The Village, someone tried to sign me for the Spanner Trust and make donations to said trust.

http://www.spannertrust.org/
    Live and let live, but I honestly can't see how pleasure can be derived from having nails hammered into one's private parts, or having needles driven up one's urethra.

• Options
    edited July 2014

out of the first 8 links, 5 aren't good for the Tories/Dave

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Don't tell them that. ;)

This discussion has been closed.