Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On a uniform swing Nicky Morgan’s Loughborough goes LAB eve

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,055
    Amazing looking at that table that 3-1 was on offer for the Conservatives in Kingswood.
  • Options
    Lib Dems doing reassuringly awful in all the Yougov Scottish subsamples...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,836
    Pulpstar said:

ICM tables still not up - Do they normally take this long ?

They have until this evening to put them.

Patience
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Bearded dwarfs – sausage-gate – and transgender gods called Thora..!

Just another normal day on PB.com I see. ; )
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. Me, The Scar [I think that was the title] is the only Mieville book I've read. Some interesting ideas in it. Sometimes felt like a bit of work to get through, though.

In my defence, the Kuhrisch have a great deal of sexual equality, and are definitely not along traditional lines (practically no taxation or central authority, they're bound by culture and a loose religion rather than lords).

There are advantages to sticking with a (rough) historically medieval approach to fantasy, people immediately understand what you mean by a castle, or portcullis, without having to try and get that information across without info-dumping. It's also easier to make a coherent and consistent world.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    "I don’t say this lightly: the DRIP bill farce has essentially shredded Ed Miliband’s credentials on civil liberties. The Labour leadership is acting as it did before 2010: pretending to be reluctant about signing away our rights because it is necessary. Then, we went from a demand to lock up people without trial for 14 days to demands for 90 days detention or else the terrorists would win."

says Sunny Hundal

http://labourlist.org/2014/07/ed-milibands-civil-liberties-credentials-are-now-in-tatters/
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

“vegetarian head of the pork pie society”. – is this a euphemism for something unspeakable?

LOL

I've been away from teh interwebs for a few days and came back to Haig and Gove and a blood bath! Golly, what a surprise those were.

I liked Grieve but he was far too keen on ECHR for my taste so he needed to go. And Hammond at the FO - good move.

I'm pretty happy with it all. What is the story behind Haig?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Another set of solid employment figures. The headline unemployment rate is down to 6.5% now, another ~500k jobs until it dips below 6%.

Pay is rising in all sectors outside of banking and finance, for which I'm sure you all have the greatest of sympathy...

The claimant count is still dropping so the leading indicator shows continued jobs growth.

Youth unemployment dropped as well which is good news, it will begin to approach the historic level of being double the national unemployment rate sooner rather than later which is great news.

I do wonder if Ed will bring up unemployment at all, the pay figures can be worked into his idiotic cost of living rubbish but everything else is so positive the PM could just make it look like Labour want bad news and are talking down the success of the British people and the economy to get a few headlines. If Ed doesn't mention the jobs news then I fully expect Cammo to go big on the penultimate answer to Ed to try and goad him into congratulating them.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

King Cole, the question of whether (fantasy) female dwarves should have beards or not is a deep and difficult philosophical question.

May change my mind (still on the first draft), but so far the Fettered (humanoid, claws, small tusks, really rough skin) are neuter. Also got a neuter cyborg-bear alien with a poor grasp of social boundaries in a short story [no idea if that'll get published or not].

There are issues with representations of certain groups in fantasy/sci-fi, but also a risk of trying to impose modern moral standards on a world which in most/all other regards is genuinely medieval.

I'm not a fan of people who claim equality = wonderful, and then write a storyline about men being led around by their trousers. Reminds me of the 'Minister for Women and Equalities' self-parody.

Ahem, rambling a bit now. And I've got a main character to kill (possibly).

The advantage of writing a fantasy novel is that you are not bound by reality and human social conventions. You could create a world with three sexes, for example, or take inspiration from any number of peculiarities from the animal kingdom, such as Anglerfish, Redback spider, Seahorses, Common reed frogs, etc

So it's really disappointing that so many fantasy novels stick rigidly to a medieval/patriarchal instead of trying something more interesting.

I don't know if you have ever read China Mieville's book Perdido Street Station, but he did something memorably weird with an insectoid species.
    How interesting, we're discussing great interesting books on another site and I'll have a looksee for this one.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

And Bees, Mr. StClare, don't forget the bees.

For bees, after a complete absence of several weeks, have this morning returned to my garden in large numbers. No idea why. Perhaps its the different flowers that have now come into bloom, but I notice this lot are smaller and more streamlined than the crowd that were working in April and May.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

macisback said:

I would expect with a fair wind between now and the election the Tories to go well in the East Midlands, with those odds I would be putting my money on the Tories ahead of Labour. This seat in the main is a nice place to live, Morgan should hold this with reasonable comfort. I don't see any great passion for Labour in this sort of area and in the wwc chunks of which there are a few UKIP will take a chunk of Labour's vote.

The surrounding villages are very pleasant, but the town itself is rundown, gridlocked, with lots of empty shops and a student population that runs riot in termtime. A few million is being spent on tarting up the town centre, but unless they get car parking sorted out, that will be a waste of money. The big, traditional industries have gone, and the loss of Astra Zeneca was a big blow to the prestige of the town.
    A recent report found that parts of the town are "virtually childless", due to the amount of family homes taken over by students. I haven't lived there for over a decade, but it was a grim place to live then, and it's only got worse.
    Parts of the town are horrible but it is more pockets than general. Most of it is reasonably affluent my view it is a seat that Morgan should win.
  • Options
    King Cole, I normally go for the straight (ahem) male/female split. Orcs being asexual surprises me, given they're essentially ruined elves.

Books by Thaddeus White (my pen name), can be found here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thaddeus-White/e/B008C6RU98/
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Thaddeus6th

[Smashwords offers a variety of formats that'll work on just about any e-reader or computer].

If you're strictly after physical versions, there is a physical version of Sir Edric's Temple out:
    http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/thaddeus-white/sir-edrics-temple/paperback/product-21306938.html

Due to the magic of pricing physical copies I actually make less on that than I do on the e-book, which is about 1/3 the cost to the buyer.

Thanks for your interest. Sir Edric's a comedy, the other two are 'serious'.

[And a curse upon the vile soul who considered your kind enquiry to be off-topic].
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Financier said:

"I don’t say this lightly: the DRIP bill farce has essentially shredded Ed Miliband’s credentials on civil liberties. The Labour leadership is acting as it did before 2010: pretending to be reluctant about signing away our rights because it is necessary. Then, we went from a demand to lock up people without trial for 14 days to demands for 90 days detention or else the terrorists would win."

says Sunny Hundal

http://labourlist.org/2014/07/ed-milibands-civil-liberties-credentials-are-now-in-tatters/

Completely accurate. And the same applies to the Lib Dems too. The sunset clause in 2016, as far before a general election as possible, shows they just want to put two fingers up to the electorate. If we need to pass something in a few weeks, let us have a sunset clause for the end of year so we can debate it properly.
  • Options

King Cole, the question of whether (fantasy) female dwarves should have beards or not is a deep and difficult philosophical question.

May change my mind (still on the first draft), but so far the Fettered (humanoid, claws, small tusks, really rough skin) are neuter. Also got a neuter cyborg-bear alien with a poor grasp of social boundaries in a short story [no idea if that'll get published or not].

There are issues with representations of certain groups in fantasy/sci-fi, but also a risk of trying to impose modern moral standards on a world which in most/all other regards is genuinely medieval.

I'm not a fan of people who claim equality = wonderful, and then write a storyline about men being led around by their trousers. Reminds me of the 'Minister for Women and Equalities' self-parody.

Orcs (Tolkien) are asexual IIRC. However, Tolkien doesn't seem to concern himself much with reproductive possibilities. Probably down to a) a Victorian upbringing and b) being an Oxford don.
    Can you direct me to some of your published works, Mr Dancer. PM if preferred.
    But the dwarves in LOTR are extremely sexually frustrated.

Who can forget Gimli's like of "nobody tosses a dwarf"

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161

I enjoyed the diagram showing how complicated the EU is. It's almost as if a confederation of 28 nation-states is a bloody stupid idea.

Don't worry, that's just transitional while we fix it up as a nice, clean federation.
  • Options

I enjoyed the diagram showing how complicated the EU is. It's almost as if a confederation of 28 nation-states is a bloody stupid idea.

Don't worry, that's just transitional while we fix it up as a nice, clean federation.
    I'm sure the German electorate will be very happy consenting to transfers to their more corrupt southern neighbours.
  • Options

Orcs (Tolkien) are asexual IIRC. However, Tolkien doesn't seem to concern himself much with reproductive possibilities. Probably down to a) a Victorian upbringing and b) being an Oxford don.

It's probably not helped by dwarf women having beards.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Totalitarian monolithic states aren't built in a day, they have to mature like a fine wine ;).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Clegg and Blair's school of choice gets a rap over the knuckles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28319015

"It found the school broke the code by:

Favouring parents for giving support, such as flower-arranging"

Immigration not an issue for Clegg

"It found the London Oratory School had the highest proportion of "white British" pupils, the lowest proportion of "non-white" pupils and the lowest proportion of pupils of African heritage."

Perhaps they could fix the latter issue by banning capable students from outside London, and bringing in more with criminal records. That's what the Metropolitan Police are doing.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Totalitarian monolithic states aren't built in a day, they have to mature like a fine wine ;).
    The EU isn't and won't be totalitarian. It'll just be a Byzantine bureaucracy riddled with corruption, national tensions and bad policy.
  • Options

Mr. Cole, Morris Dancer is oft times too modest for his own good (he certainly charges far too little for his books considering their quality), so just in case his modesty gets the better of him (and maybe in the hope of drumming up some extra custom from the rest of you), may I thoroughly recommend to you the tale of Sir Edric's Temple available at stupid prices from all good book sellers and, of course, Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-Edrics-Temple-Adventures-Edric-ebook/dp/B00GCAF2CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405501710&sr=8-1&keywords=Sir+Edrics+Temple

At £1.79 fro the Kindle edition of £6.97 for the paper back, you will not be disappointed (read the reviews on Amazon for more detail).
  • Options
    Plato said:

“vegetarian head of the pork pie society”. – is this a euphemism for something unspeakable?

LOL

I've been away from teh interwebs for a few days and came back to Haig and Gove and a blood bath! Golly, what a surprise those were.

I liked Grieve but he was far too keen on ECHR for my taste so he needed to go. And Hammond at the FO - good move.

@Plato

Hi and good to 'see ' you - trust all is well?

You may have noticed that Haig has been quite lack-lustre recently and has not been very proactive ( not as in sending in troops but coming up with solutions from a neutral but peace-keeping standpoint.)

This is really not his style (conflict management), and he really enjoys history and talking to people. So logically it is time to try something which he enjoys full time and also has been quite lucrative for him.
  • Options
    On the EU, did anyone else catch this bit from Juncker's speech?

In a speech to MEPs, he pledged the Commission would be a "political body", not just Europe's civil service.

He got sustained applause when he said the euro "protects Europe".

They're actually complete idiots in the parliament, aren't they? Completely impervious to reality. These men have ruined millions of peoples lives, and they can't even accept it.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,172

King Cole, I normally go for the straight (ahem) male/female split. Orcs being asexual surprises me, given they're essentially ruined elves.

Books by Thaddeus White (my pen name), can be found here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thaddeus-White/e/B008C6RU98/
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Thaddeus6th

[Smashwords offers a variety of formats that'll work on just about any e-reader or computer].

If you're strictly after physical versions, there is a physical version of Sir Edric's Temple out:
    http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/thaddeus-white/sir-edrics-temple/paperback/product-21306938.html

Due to the magic of pricing physical copies I actually make less on that than I do on the e-book, which is about 1/3 the cost to the buyer.

Thanks for your interest. Sir Edric's a comedy, the other two are 'serious'.

[And a curse upon the vile soul who considered your kind enquiry to be off-topic].

I'm obliged Mr Dancer. I will activate my Kindle. Obliged too for the advice on the commercial advantages of that to the author.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Will this coalition cause the Lib Dems to have to change forever ? For the last 20 years or more, the LD's have done well as they were offering something different from Labour and Tories. Now it appears that they have signed up to most policies that Labour and Tories would have introducted, which previously they would have opposed.

From 2015, the LD's can't go back to being a left of centre liberal party, as few voters would find this convincing. So my expectation is that the LD's will have no option, but to be closer to the Tories in terms of policies, than they are to Labour. The Tories generally don't like governments interfering with markets, whereas Labour are more likely to introduce legislation which does have an influence on markets.

Some LD's will be very unhappy with them supporting the new data retention laws, which was rushed through the HOC yesterday. Some of these could move to The Greens.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Old King Cole/Morris Dancer

I was the vile soul who clicked the off topic button.

I apologise most profusely for my error I was aiming for the reply button

I shall exile myself to conhome for the rest of the morning

I have unofftopic'd it now.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2014
    Douglas Murray ‏@DouglasKMurray 21m
    Blog: The West has drifted away from Israel — and itself http://bit.ly/1p6PIZz via @spectator

Great article on Israel and the West by Douglas Muray. Great, that is, if you are willing to give Israel a fair hearing.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Financier said:

Plato said:

LOL

@Plato

You may have noticed that Haig has been quite lack-lustre recently and has not been very proactive ( not as in sending in troops but coming up with solutions from a neutral but peace-keeping standpoint.)

This is really not his style (conflict management), and he really enjoys history and talking to people. So logically it is time to try something which he enjoys full time and also has been quite lucrative for him.
    Haig = Hague
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

ICM data tables not up yet ?

No - it is pissing me off that the "Gold Standard" is so bloody tardy getting their data up.
    If nothing else to check the midlands scores wrt to Loughborough.

At a guess I think Con would be slightly ahead of Labour in the Midlands - the Midlands & Wales crosstabs with yougov are ~ 3 pts ahead for Labour.

Midlands ICM Lead Conservatives would be a very strong guess, but probably back from GE2010.
    If we had a Parody PB, exchanges of emails bemoaning the delayed arrival of a regional subsample would definitely be worthy of inclusion.

• Options

Mr. Cole, Morris Dancer is oft times too modest for his own good (he certainly charges far too little for his books considering their quality), so just in case his modesty gets the better of him (and maybe in the hope of drumming up some extra custom from the rest of you), may I thoroughly recommend to you the tale of Sir Edric's Temple available at stupid prices from all good book sellers and, of course, Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-Edrics-Temple-Adventures-Edric-ebook/dp/B00GCAF2CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405501710&sr=8-1&keywords=Sir+Edrics+Temple

At £1.79 fro the Kindle edition of £6.97 for the paper back, you will not be disappointed (read the reviews on Amazon for more detail).
    Mr Llama I am grateful. At the risk of being accused of going wildly off topic, are you any nearer resolving the difficulty we discussed recently?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Plato said:

LOL

There are theories, best left to twitter
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

For bees, after a complete absence of several weeks, have this morning returned to my garden in large numbers. No idea why. Perhaps its the different flowers that have now come into bloom, but I notice this lot are smaller and more streamlined than the crowd that were working in April and May.
    Humble apologies Mr Llama, no slight intended I assure you.

We have a colony of bumble bees in the garden at the mo that have taken up residence in an old bird box – festinating to watch, but noisy buggers as the drones hang around all day waiting for a new queen to emerge.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,024
    Socrates said:

It's probably not helped by dwarf women having beards.
    An assertion that has generated millions of pages of heated argument on the Internet.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

No - it is pissing me off that the "Gold Standard" is so bloody tardy getting their data up.

At a guess I think Con would be slightly ahead of Labour in the Midlands - the Midlands & Wales crosstabs with yougov are ~ 3 pts ahead for Labour.

Midlands ICM Lead Conservatives would be a very strong guess, but probably back from GE2010.
    If we had a Parody PB, exchanges of emails bemoaning the delayed arrival of a regional subsample would definitely be worthy of inclusion.

The Opinium poll you mentioned last night is probably the one in the field for The Observer that's out this weekend.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

On the EU, did anyone else catch this bit from Juncker's speech?

In a speech to MEPs, he pledged the Commission would be a "political body", not just Europe's civil service.

He got sustained applause when he said the euro "protects Europe".

They're actually complete idiots in the parliament, aren't they? Completely impervious to reality. These men have ruined millions of peoples lives, and they can't even accept it.

The 250 who voted against Juncker aren't complete idiots. His supporters are.

• Options
    Np, King Cole, hope you enjoy my writing. [Pricing is crackers. I make more on an e-book under £2 than I do on a £7 physical copy. This is why so many self-published physical versions appear over-priced].

Mr. Eagles, you bounder! Still, I shall forgive you.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

"It found the London Oratory School had the highest proportion of "white British" pupils, the lowest proportion of "non-white" pupils and the lowest proportion of pupils of African heritage."

Perhaps they could fix the latter issue by banning capable students from outside London, and bringing in more with criminal records. That's what the Metropolitan Police are doing.
    The Metropolitan Police has been damaged by accusations and revelations of corruption.

How does it deal with that problem?

Recruit people with criminal records.

• Options
    Mr. F, the single currency is a shield of asbestos.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    hucks67 said:

Some LD's will be very unhappy with them supporting the new data retention laws, which was rushed through the HOC yesterday. Some of these could move to The Greens.

Yes, I think this is potentially quite an important point. The article by Sunny Hundal, linked to by Financier earlier, makes the same point in rather stronger language:

All this doesn’t even make political sense any more. Since 2010 Labour has attracted a large chunk of ex-Lib Dem voters who abandoned the party because it broke their trust over Iraq, civil liberties and a host of related issues. What does Labour say about civil liberties to them after this? Why should they believe Labour will be different than in 2010? Ed Miliband’s calculation that they just won’t notice this, or will hold their nose because of their distaste for Nick Clegg, is cynical politicking at its worse.

IMO this is part of a wider issue: some at least of the current Labour support is there precisely because Ed Miliband's sheet of paper is still largely blank, apart from a few random scribblings (many of them subsequently crossed out). As he takes positions on various controversial issues, some of that support may melt away, disappearing in various different directions.

To an extent this is always true of any opposition; in mid-term, you can get away with being vague and not scaring any of the various horses, but under the scrutiny of an election campaign, and in writing a manifesto, that is much harder. This may be especially true this time round, given that Ed Miliband has (probably deliberately) failed to confront any issues which might fracture his coalition.

It's for this kind of reason that my central expectation is for a net swing away from Labour as the GE approaches. In particular, I'm not convinced that the 'Red LibDems' are as firmly in the bag as Mike and Nick P keep telling us. The civil liberties issue is one which may push some of them out of the bag. Others are immigration, public sector pay, and educational policy.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I see that my remark on ICM has been scratched. I wonder why?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

The Metropolitan Police has been damaged by accusations and revelations of corruption.

People with spent convictions.

Something people are wilfully ignoring or just not aware about due to tabloid hysteria.

• Options
    Incidentally, congrats to President Corporeal, who won the MkII Diplomacy game.

Didn't cock up too badly for a first timer, but still irked I didn't win.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Another set of solid employment figures. The headline unemployment rate is down to 6.5% now, another ~500k jobs until it dips below 6%.

Pay is rising in all sectors outside of banking and finance, for which I'm sure you all have the greatest of sympathy...

The claimant count is still dropping so the leading indicator shows continued jobs growth.

Youth unemployment dropped as well which is good news, it will begin to approach the historic level of being double the national unemployment rate sooner rather than later which is great news.

I do wonder if Ed will bring up unemployment at all, the pay figures can be worked into his idiotic cost of living rubbish but everything else is so positive the PM could just make it look like Labour want bad news and are talking down the success of the British people and the economy to get a few headlines. If Ed doesn't mention the jobs news then I fully expect Cammo to go big on the penultimate answer to Ed to try and goad him into congratulating them.

Mr. Max, does not 6.5% unemployment overall indicate full employment in some areas? In fact if memory serves full employment was traditionally defined as an unemployment rate of 5% as there has to be churn and a pool to take up new jobs as they are created. If I am correct then there are areas in the country where wages will be rising above the level of inflation and/or pulling in more immigrants because there is actually a labour shortage. Those areas will be seeing the benefits of the recovery.

Of course, there will be other areas particularly those overly dependent on public sector jobs, that will have higher than average unemployment and who will be seeing little or no benefit from the recovery. In those areas the Labour message of a recovery only for millionaires may well ring true to many voters. However, as they probably mostly already vote Labour anyway the political effect will be minimal.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Something people are wilfully ignoring or just not aware about due to tabloid hysteria.

The fact that the convictions are spent doesn't necessarily fill me with confidence.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

The fact that the convictions are spent doesn't necessarily fill me with confidence.
    But the thing is, say someone out of character did a bad thing at 19, but has behaved impeccably for 5 years afterwards, be barred from a job?

Even Freshfields are hiring people with criminal records, some of them unspent.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    NEC organization sub-committee met and decided the following:

Bradford East: Open
    Bradford West: AWS
    Bradford South: AWS
    Sheffield Brightside & Hillsborough: Open
    Neath: AWS
    Workington: AWS
    Bootle: Open
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

MaxPB said:

Mr. Max, does not 6.5% unemployment overall indicate full employment in some areas? In fact if memory serves full employment was traditionally defined as an unemployment rate of 5% as there has to be churn and a pool to take up new jobs as they are created. If I am correct then there are areas in the country where wages will be rising above the level of inflation and/or pulling in more immigrants because there is actually a labour shortage. Those areas will be seeing the benefits of the recovery.

Of course, there will be other areas particularly those overly dependent on public sector jobs, that will have higher than average unemployment and who will be seeing little or no benefit from the recovery. In those areas the Labour message of a recovery only for millionaires may well ring true to many voters. However, as they probably mostly already vote Labour anyway the political effect will be minimal.
    5% is a sort of marker for full employment, yes. In fact, it may now be a bit higher, since economic inactivity is plunging to new lows so there's less room for the labour market flexibility and female participation that drives full employment to manifest itself there instead of unemployment.

However I cannot help but think that 5% was rather cushy. It was certainly rather descriptive, rather than proscriptive, of the boom labour market. Both parties talk about "getting people make into work" and "making work pay", and both of these - particularly the latter - really sound like admissions that 5% is not the optimal floor.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,442
    MikeK said:

Douglas Murray ‏@DouglasKMurray 21m
    Blog: The West has drifted away from Israel — and itself http://bit.ly/1p6PIZz via @spectator

Great article on Israel and the West by Douglas Muray. Great, that is, if you are willing to give Israel a fair hearing.

I'm more likely to give a fair hearing to Israel than Douglas Murray.
  • Options

Incidentally, congrats to President Corporeal, who won the MkII Diplomacy game.

Didn't cock up too badly for a first timer, but still irked I didn't win.

An excellent win by Corporeal indeed, Congratulations.

The Death Match seems to have turned out differently to what the form book would have suggested at the outset, Germany must now be favourite to win.

As for the 2014 MK3 game: full respect to you, Mr. Dancer, but my money is on Turkey, played by Mr. Pulpstar. He has just stabbed his ally Italy and will no doubt stab uou in due course. That streak of ruthlessness will see him over the line.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

But the thing is, say someone out of character did a bad thing at 19, but has behaved impeccably for 5 years afterwards, be barred from a job?

Given that corruption within police forces is a problem, it would seem sensible to insist on the very highest standards among recruits.

There are other occupations where it's reasonable that people should not have to disclose spent convictions, unless strictly relevant. When it comes to policing, past convictions will always be relevant.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Indeed. The idea that people can never be rehabilitated is pretty sickening.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Given that corruption within police forces is a problem, it would seem sensible to insist on the very highest standards among recruits.

There are other occupations where it's reasonable that people should not have to disclose spent convictions, unless strictly relevant. When it comes to policing, past convictions will always be relevant.

I can understand that viewpoint.

I know I hold a minority view that not all criminals are recividists.

Like David Cameron I believe in giving people second chances

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited July 2014
    The unemployment numbers are very decent and has some relevance to my ARSE.

When I modelled it (cue titters ....) I dialled in the unemployment rate for May 2015 @ 1.8M. it looks like I may have been a wee bit too cautious.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I like this idea of a Parody PB Day. @TSE should set it up.

A few other ideas from me:

Fitalass launches a withering attack on David Cameron.
    TGHOF writes in support of striking teachers.
    BobaFett learns his eight times table.
  • Options

Mr Llama I am grateful. At the risk of being accused of going wildly off topic, are you any nearer resolving the difficulty we discussed recently?
    Mr. Cole, thanks for asking. No not really. Healthwise for me, personally, it is too much of a problem at the moment. However, collecting evidence for the bigger picture is quite hard and it may be beyond the scope of an individual (all the vested interests are lined up against and investigation). I think the best I might be able to hope for is to gather sufficient evidence that there is be a problem to be investigated and, perhaps, get a new 2015 MP to take up the case. I dunno.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    JackW said:

When I modelled it (cue titters ....) I dialled in the unemployment rate for May 2015 @ 1.8M. it looks like I may have been a wee bit too cautious.

The economy seems to have completely exited the newscycle - it's fixed - will there be as much upside for the Cons as there was downside when it wasn't. There is growth, rising unemployment etc etc - so what ?

What gets the reporters excited is peedos, exiting Europe and demotions/promotions.

Will that change in the election cycle ? Should set your dials spinning..

• Options
    BobaFett said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I like this idea of a Parody PB Day. @TSE should set it up.

A few other ideas from me:

Fitalass launches a withering attack on David Cameron.
    TGHOF writes in support of striking teachers.
    BobaFett learns his eight times table.
    I quite enjoyed the recent strike day - helped me identify whether the little darlings are lined up for being taught by an evil trot or not when they move up a class next year ;)
  • Options

Humble apologies Mr Llama, no slight intended I assure you.

We have a colony of bumble bees in the garden at the mo that have taken up residence in an old bird box – festinating to watch, but noisy buggers as the drones hang around all day waiting for a new queen to emerge.
    Surely one of P.G. Wodehouse's greatest, and most understated, jokes was the invention of the Drones Club. A place where the likes of Tuppy Glossop, Barmy Fotheringay-Phipps, Offy Prosser, Claude Cattermole "Catsmeat" Potter-Pirbright and the rest hung around waiting for their aunts or mothers to find them a queen with whom to mate.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

While I accept that past convictions will always be relevant to a job in policing, they simply need not be determinative. Those with some experience of the justice system from the other side but have turned a corner might even be less susceptible to corruption. Nor is there much reason to think that by the virtue of a minor conviction some time ago they'd be worse at their jobs. Also, taking too strict an approach would make a strange comparison between "squeeky clean" officers on entry and the reality of the police force (though I wish it was not so). Finally if anything the police service ought to be better able to handle those with minor convictions than other jobs (it being young men, range of duties, hierarchy) and so in some sense it could provide a valuable option to young men (in particular) who might otherwise really struggle.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, tish and pish. I'm quite sure the Winter Palace and the Sublime Porte shall continue to enjoy a spirit of friendship and co-operation, despite your conniving machinations to ensure it is not the case.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JackW said:

The economy seems to have completely exited the newscycle - it's fixed - will there be as much upside for the Cons as there was downside when it wasn't. There is growth, rising unemployment etc etc - so what ?

What gets the reporters excited is peedos, exiting Europe and demotions/promotions.

Will that change in the election cycle ? Should set your dials spinning..

That's actually a decent point. Voter complacency is a factor but is of less relevance where voters consider the government with a relatively successful economy behind it is likely to be re-elected as in 83/87 and in 01/05.

Next May a Coalition government is to be weighed in the balance with a poorly rated Opposition leader as the alternative.

• Options
    OT

I once hired a murderer who was out on licence. Was very good at the job and reliable - however he had picked up the art of sticky fingers whilst inside and we could not let him near money or anything pocketable.
  • Options

Mr. Cole, thanks for asking. No not really. Healthwise for me, personally, it is too much of a problem at the moment. However, collecting evidence for the bigger picture is quite hard and it may be beyond the scope of an individual (all the vested interests are lined up against and investigation). I think the best I might be able to hope for is to gather sufficient evidence that there is be a problem to be investigated and, perhaps, get a new 2015 MP to take up the case. I dunno.
    There is unquestionably something there which needs investigation. If you require help or reasonably informed, if possibly a little out of date, background, feel free to ask.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Financier said:

Plato said:

LOL

@Plato

Of course Haig hasn't really been at the top of his game for about 100 years...

Hague, on the other hand,...
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    If we are being allowed to plug our own books on pbc, I would like to draw attention to my new book [almost on topic], The Littletons of Teddesley Hall (www.penkridge.org.uk/pdfdocs/Publication1.pdf) which tells the story of Edward John Littleton (later Lord Hatherton) who constructed an early Whig/Tory coalition in Staffordshire and South Staffs (1812 - 1835) and in the process helped to bring down two governments - those of the Duke of Wellington and Earl Grey. Contact history@penkridge.org.uk
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,442
    Cammy going to rue the day?

Stewart Wood ‏@StewartWood 14 mins
    An interesting tweet from Michael Gove's wife: "@SarahVine: A shabby day's work which Cameron will live to regret http://dailym.ai/Wgc5Ur "
  • Options
    Charles said:

Financier said:

Plato said:

LOL

@Plato

Of course Haig hasn't really been at the top of his game for about 100 years...

Hague, on the other hand,...
    Haig is a blend - fit for cooking sauces and not much else ;)
  • Options
    (No bearded dwarves though)
  • Options
    It seems odd that the Met can recruit people with a spent conviction to become serving police officers, but a Police and Crime Commissioner, who doesn't actually have to do any policing has to have led a completely blameless (or at least never been caught) life.

Incidentally, given the complete lack of interest last time, will they continue. Is there any evidence that they's been useful. And, what is the procedure when one dies, is convicted of an offence, or otherwise has to leave office?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Surely the topics for PB parody need to be chosen by a referendum conducted by STV with Dehondt correction?
  • Options

If we are being allowed to plug our own books on pbc, I would like to draw attention to my new book [almost on topic], The Littletons of Teddesley Hall (www.penkridge.org.uk/pdfdocs/Publication1.pdf) which tells the story of Edward John Littleton (later Lord Hatherton) who constructed an early Whig/Tory coalition in Staffordshire and South Staffs (1812 - 1835) and in the process helped to bring down two governments - those of the Duke of Wellington and Earl Grey. Contact history@penkridge.org.uk

Congratulations.

You might offer a few signed copies as prize for a PB competition ?

• Options
    Grandiose said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Pg.

Ts.

Bt.

I c

While I accept that past convictions will always be relevant to a job in policing, they simply need not be determinative. Those with some experience of the justice system from the other side but have turned a corner might even be less susceptible to corruption. Nor is there much reason to think that by the virtue of a minor conviction some time ago they'd be worse at their jobs. Also, taking too strict an approach would make a strange comparison between "squeeky clean" officers on entry and the reality of the police force (though I wish it was not so). Finally if anything the police service ought to be better able to handle those with minor convictions than other jobs (it being young men, range of duties, hierarchy) and so in some sense it could provide a valuable option to young men (in particular) who might otherwise really struggle.
    In my experience in dealing with people with criminal records, especially those with spent ones, with a lot of them who have no desire to re-offend again, the following reasons

1) They don't want to go through prison again (they are no like holiday camps, despite what you believe)

2) In relation to 1), a lot of prisons never get over of putting their families visiting them in prison again (as anyone who has been a visitor at a prison will attest, the security is tight)

3) They don't want to have to go through the stigma of being denied jobs, car/house insurance, banking and financial services whilst they have have unspent convictions and having to pay higher premiums to insurers that quote for people with spent convictions.

Is why I think they'd make good recruits in any field, they just don't want to back through all of that again.

Re Freshfields recruiting people with criminal records, here's the article

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/40dcbc7a-f305-11e3-a3f8-00144feabdc0.html#axzz37RITmaVH

To read the article for free, google "Courage of convictions as ex-offenders find jobs"
  • Options

Cammy going to rue the day?

Stewart Wood ‏@StewartWood 14 mins
    An interesting tweet from Michael Gove's wife: "@SarahVine: A shabby day's work which Cameron will live to regret http://dailym.ai/Wgc5Ur "

She's been retweeting a few things in the past day that will make Dave rue the day
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

According to Herself, who being retired plod tends to know about these things, the police laid aside their blanket ban on recruiting anyone with a criminal conviction more than a decade ago. Each case has been treated on its merits ever since.

However, there are problems, especially with convictions involving dishonesty. Convictions of prosecution witnesses have to be disclosed to the defence (in fact with plod its even more complex because complaints have to be disclosed). So you could have the situation where a defendant with no previous convictions and an unblemished record is being accused in court by a copper who is, in fact, a convicted thief and liar. You will I am sure appreciate the delicacy of the situation.
  • Options
    See people get upset about some people going to the Middle East to fight for ISIS, but, well you know....

Scots jihadist Abdul Raqib Amin who vowed to die for his beliefs reported to have been killed by Iraqi Army SWAT team

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-jihadist-abdul-raqib-amin-3866449
  • Options
    JackW said:

Congratulations.

You might offer a few signed copies as prize for a PB competition ?

Thank you for your kind words.
    http://www.timespast.org.uk/
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28317555 an interesting development - BRICS becoming more integrated.

EU
    ____
    17.4 $T
    3.6 $T Germany
    2.7 $T France
    2.5 $T UK

BRICS
    _____
    15.1 $T
    8.2 $T China
    2.7 $T Brazil

NAFTA
    -----
    20.0 $T
    17.0 $T USA

(2013 figures - Source Wiki)

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28317555 an interesting development - BRICS becoming more integrated.

EU
    ____
    17.4 $T
    3.6 $T Germany
    2.7 $T France
    2.5 $T UK

BRICS
    _____
    15.1 $T
    8.2 $T China
    2.7 $T Brazil

NAFTA
    -----
    20.0 $T
    17.0 $T USA

Sorry Pulpstar, what am I looking at?
  • Options
    Mr. Penkridge, have you considered putting it up in e-book format?

If you have any queries about that, do feel free to send me a private message (it's not especially technical but I suspect we'd be the only two people interested in formatting and the like).
  • Options
    Thing on Hill's lobbyist background, including the allegation (citing the Telegraph, but no link, dunno if it checks out) that he intervened to get school playing fields sold to Tesco, his lobbying company's client.

http://corporateeurope.org/revolving-doors/2014/07/uk-prime-minister-david-cameron-nominates-revolving-door-ex-lobbyist-eu

Maybe this is part of a cunning and devious plan by Cameron to pick another fight with Juncker and the European Parliament, and unite the country in a patriotic defence of traditional British corruption...
  • Options

See people get upset about some people going to the Middle East to fight for ISIS, but, well you know....

Scots jihadist Abdul Raqib Amin who vowed to die for his beliefs reported to have been killed by Iraqi Army SWAT team

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-jihadist-abdul-raqib-amin-3866449

He vowed to die for his beliefs, and it seems he has done so. Very ideologically pure.
  • Options
    Could Shadsy still lose if Hill doesn't get confirmed, or were the bets settled on the first person Cameron nominated?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,434
    Pulpstar said:

He vowed to die for his beliefs, and it seems he has done so. Very ideologically pure.
    Am I alone in seeing certain similarities between such actions and the those of the young men who went off to fight in the Spanish Civil War?
  • Options
    Ken Clarke on the "Daily Politics" thinks the Tories win be the largest party after May 2015 and a Coalition government is the most viable option.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

EU
    ____
    17.4 $T
    3.6 $T Germany
    2.7 $T France
    2.5 $T UK

BRICS
    _____
    15.1 $T
    8.2 $T China
    2.7 $T Brazil

NAFTA
    -----
    20.0 $T
    17.0 $T USA

Just noting the BRICS have created a 'bank' - it hints at a greater economic cooperation between them all. I wonder if we left the EU if we would perchance join NAFTA - we are in the North Atlantic and share a common language (And culture to a limited degree...) with 2 of the 3 countries there. Perhaps a better fit than the EU ?

Edit: "America" would have to be changed to "Atlantic" in the acronym... !
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Interesting discussion on recidivism. Anecdote warning, but I work round the corner from Highbury Magistrates' Court and regularly lunch on a sandwich on the benches outside, which usually has diverse bored offenders waiting for hearings, and I chat to them if they want to, to try to get a bit more idea of what they think about life. What's really striking is the complexity of the mess they're in - e.g. the former GBH chap I was talking to yesterday was perfectly affable, quite cheerful and seemingly reasonably fit, but he said he was homeless about half the year, in and out, spent a lot of time trying to get a job and succeeding with the occasional odd temporary doorman/bouncer slot, seriously addicted to Red Bull (showed me his carrier bag with 10 cans, which he said was his usual daily amount) and admitted he had a problem in overreacting to anyone who rubbed him up the wrong way. I said mildly that maybe the last two were related, and he said yeah, maybe there was something in that - apparently a new thought.

That's just one example. The point, I think, is that many offenders don't want to go back into it, but they need support and advice from several angles, not just a job.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Financier said:

says Sunny Hundal

Did EdM ever have any civil liberties credentials to be shredded? As far as I'm aware, he's never disavowed previous Labour policies in this area so I have to assume that he was fine with ID cards, 90-day detention without trial and the rest.

Incidentally my own MP (G Jackson) did not vote against this legislation. A black mark. But she's retiring anyway.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

EU
    ____
    17.4 $T
    3.6 $T Germany
    2.7 $T France
    2.5 $T UK

BRICS
    _____
    15.1 $T
    8.2 $T China
    2.7 $T Brazil

NAFTA
    -----
    20.0 $T
    17.0 $T USA

Just noting the BRICS have created a 'bank' - it hints at a greater economic cooperation between them all. I wonder if we left the EU if we would perchance join NAFTA - we are in the North Atlantic and share a common language (And culture to a limited degree...) with 2 of the 3 countries there. Perhaps a better fit than the EU ?
    I got the bank part, but wasn't sure what the figures represented. Is it the contribution to total GDP?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

There's all sorts of places for criminals to have second changes. The police force isn't one of them. I could understand if it was relaxed for minor shop lifting or drug possession, but mugging and burgling? Given the state of police corruption, and how few burglaries get convictions, it would seem very difficult to make sure they weren't still passing information on to their buddies outside the force.

Seeing as the purpose of this is to make up for too many white people joining the force from the home counties, it's absolutely idiotic.
  • Options

Could Shadsy still lose if Hill doesn't get confirmed, or were the bets settled on the first person Cameron nominated?

Well 1) No one backed Lord Hill

2) IIRC it was the first person Cameron nominated.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Ken Clarke on the "Daily Politics" thinks the Tories win be the largest party after May 2015 and a Coalition government is the most viable option.

If the Lib Dems did agree, would they accept the same settlement? Cable could be vulnerable, but that means potentially the next environment or even education position might be a Lib Dem.
  • Options

People from Freshfields aren't enforcing the law and consoling recent victims of law breaking.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

EU
    ____
    17.4 $T
    3.6 $T Germany
    2.7 $T France
    2.5 $T UK

BRICS
    _____
    15.1 $T
    8.2 $T China
    2.7 $T Brazil

NAFTA
    -----
    20.0 $T
    17.0 $T USA

I got the bank part, but wasn't sure what the figures represented. Is it the contribution to total GDP?
    It is the GDP of each bloc and the largest contributors to that - BRICS is dominated by China, and NAFTA by the USA.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Interesting discussion on recidivism. Anecdote warning, but I work round the corner from Highbury Magistrates' Court and regularly lunch on a sandwich on the benches outside, which usually has diverse bored offenders waiting for hearings, and I chat to them if they want to, to try to get a bit more idea of what they think about life. What's really striking is the complexity of the mess they're in - e.g. the former GBH chap I was talking to yesterday was perfectly affable, quite cheerful and seemingly reasonably fit, but he said he was homeless about half the year, in and out, spent a lot of time trying to get a job and succeeding with the occasional odd temporary doorman/bouncer slot, seriously addicted to Red Bull (showed me his carrier bag with 10 cans, which he said was his usual daily amount) and admitted he had a problem in overreacting to anyone who rubbed him up the wrong way. I said mildly that maybe the last two were related, and he said yeah, maybe there was something in that - apparently a new thought.

That's just one example. The point, I think, is that many offenders don't want to go back into it, but they need support and advice from several angles, not just a job.

I think there's a big difference between someone that loses his temper and lashes out and someone that makes an income through criminality. Both seem inappropriate for being police officers, mind. If this goes through, I don't think I'll have the police over next time I'm burgled. They could be casing the joint.
  • Options

One of the farcical things about prison is that, when they are released, a lot of prisoners are released with nothing more than a train ticket and a discharge grant of 40 odd quid
  • Options
    Last PMQ's before MP's leave to spend more time with their bucket and spades.

Ed to go on wimmin and data protection and avoid unemployment and the economy like the plague ?
  • Options
    JackW said:

That would seem an eminently sensible viewpoint - mildly optimistic but very realistic. I suspect Labour bods are saying they will "win" the next election but when pressed as to whether that means most seats or a majority are probably going "Most seats for sure" - again optimistic but realistic.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Financier said:

says Sunny Hundal

Did EdM ever have any civil liberties credentials to be shredded? As far as I'm aware, he's never disavowed previous Labour policies in this area so I have to assume that he was fine with ID cards, 90-day detention without trial and the rest.

Incidentally my own MP (G Jackson) did not vote against this legislation. A black mark. But she's retiring anyway.

Mrs. Free, is it not surprising that we have not been rocked by terrorist atrocities in these past few years? We were told, were we not, that ID cards and 90 day detention were essential to protect us. Yet even though those measures were never introduced we still seem to be as safe as ever we were.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Pulpstar said:

Am I alone in seeing certain similarities between such actions and the those of the young men who went off to fight in the Spanish Civil War?
    Only if you're making the connection with those who went to fight on the Fascist side. Those - like Orwell - went to fight on the side of the elected government and against fascism. I find it hard to see any similarity between people like him and people who go off to fight for a violent, anti-Semitic, anti-democratic, theocratic cult.

• Options
    Grandiose said:

JackW said:

If the Lib Dems did agree, would they accept the same settlement? Cable could be vulnerable, but that means potentially the next environment or even education position might be a Lib Dem.
    A while back, I suggested to Mike, if there were a future coalition, rather than have a minister in every department, the Lib Dems, should take over whole ministries.

Such as Environment, BIS, etc staffed entirely by Lib Dems.
This discussion has been closed.