Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Blairites like John Rentoul have got to stop looking at

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Blairites like John Rentoul have got to stop looking at GE2015 through the prism of 1997

There’s no doubt that Tony Blair’s GE1997 victory, coming as it did after four election defeats over the previous 18 years, was a stunning success. Blair did it by reinventing his party so it would appeal to large swaithes of voters who never before had done anything other than vote Tory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    First!
  • Options
    Would Rentoul’s choice for LAB leader, David Miliband, have had anything like this level of appeal to the voters that matter?

Why not? How can we separate "buyers' remorse" from "Ed fandom"?

I guess all the polls on "better leader than Ed" have been total base, so the Lib Dem> Lab subset far too small to be meaningful?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Its a bit early in the AM for such a spreadsheet, but isn't the effect of LD switcher only half of the effect of the 2010 Labourites who prefer David Cameron?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2014

Would Rentoul’s choice for LAB leader, David Miliband, have had anything like this level of appeal to the voters that matter?

A lot of the LibDem defectors defected over Iraq. David Miliband had the unlucky job of inheriting that particular clusterfvck as foreign secretary. He may be personally implicated in illegality and human rights violations, and if he isn't he's very likely to be implicated in the subsequent cover-up. If he was currently Labour leader, the coalition would be using ongoing leaks and investigations to keep all this stuff in the news. As it is, Ed Miliband has been able to quietly hose away the worst of the war criminality sludge and everyone except Galloway has moved on.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection Countdown

1 day 2 hours 3 minutes 4 seconds
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    PBTories like Blairites insist that Ed is crap and should have a 200 point lead by now. I hope OGH isn't trying to suggest they might be mistaken.....?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Right on cue:
    http://rt.com/uk/172464-uk-police-cia-rendition/

I don't think it's too cynical to assume that were David Miliband currently leading the opposition, the government would have worked out a way to dry out some of these water-damaged files.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Miliband's problem is not with the 2010 LD switchers (yet); it's with the 2010 Lab voters. This was already the second-smallest Labour support at a general election since the 1930s and Miliband has managed to convince two in five of them that Cameron would make a better PM. By contrast, despite the UKIP switchers, the problems of actually being in government and so on, 88% of 2010 Con voters prefer Cameron over Miliband with a further 5% saying don't know.

In fact, if you look at the first sub-column, it tells you precisely where the campaign is going: although more than two-thirds of Con-to-UKIP switchers are dissatisfied with the job Cameron is doing (and I'm surprised it's not higher - surely by definition, switchers are dissatisfied with the party they've left?), still he leads Miliband by 85-9 among that group.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,340
    Just how important are these Lib Dem to Labour converters? My guess is that a lot of them live in seats Labour are just not competitive in. They voted tactically for the Lib Dems to help stop the tories (successfully or otherwise) and then found the party they voted for giving the tories a majority.

They feel cheated and angry and it will be very hard for the Lib Dems to get them to vote tactically again. But in many seats the only gainers from that will be the tories.

Much more important will be those who voted Lib Dem in seats Labour are competitive in, particularly seats Labour lost like Broxtowe. If Labour can squeeze the Lib Dems in seats like this they will gain MPs but I suspect the enthusiasm levels of these Lib Dems for Labour is much lower than those who lent their vote and got cheated.

These are people like Southam who consider themselves vaguely lefty but found it impossible to vote for the economic incoherence of Brown. Ed really needs to find an economic policy to tempt these voters and he had not done so yet. If the Lib Dem vote recovers (big if) many of these will drift back.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    The scale of Labour's failure in 1992 was not apparent until election night itself; swingback was very late indeed. I would suggest that Blair strategy was not so much one of attracting 1992 Conservative voters but rather eliminating anything which might repel voters generally at the last minute.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    Ed IS crap. That's one reason there are virtually no Con --> Lab switchers since 2010. That is a truly striking feature of the ashcroft polling.

379 switching from Con to Lab or LibDem. Out of 26,025. And half offset by 194 LibDem to Con.

And of the 985 Con to UKIP - only 77 are so pissed off they'd prefer Ed Miliband as PM to Cameron....
  • Options
    PeterC said:

The scale of Labour's failure in 1992 was not apparent until election night itself; swingback was very late indeed. I would suggest that Blair strategy was not so much one of attracting 1992 Conservative voters but rather eliminating anything which might repel voters generally at the last minute.

Labour and others were misled by the polling in 1992. During one of the Parliament channel re-runs recently I saw again the Brown interview where he was confidently expressing the opinion that the tories had lost the right to govern and that they should be going into opposition even if they were the largest single party. It was several hours later that it became apparent that they had what was, at least initially, a fairly comfortable majority.

Ed is no Blair but I agree with OGH that the current leadership of the tories are no Major either. He could reach tranches of the electorate that seem beyond the tories reach at the present time just as Blair could reach tranches beyond Ed.

2015 will not be a re-run of 1992 but it will be interesting. There are a lot of votes up for grabs who will be struggling to be enthusiastic about anyone.

• Options

Ed IS crap. That's one reason there are virtually no Con --> Lab switchers since 2010. That is a truly striking feature of the ashcroft polling.

379 switching from Con to Lab or LibDem. Out of 26,025. And half offset by 194 LibDem to Con.

And of the 985 Con to UKIP - only 77 are so pissed off they'd prefer Ed Miliband as PM to Cameron....

I think this is another facet of the point I made earlier. These people voted tory because Brown was a dangerous lunatic who was destroying the country. Before they will vote Labour they need a Blairite charm offensive indicating that lessons have been learned and that the economy will be safe in their hands.

The reluctance to accept past mistakes and to seriously grapple with the hard choices to be made is a complete turnoff to this group and Ed's failure to restore Labour's reputation can be measured by these tiny numbers of converters.

Most of the tory losses are to UKIP. If they still feel the same about the economy there is a good chance that these voters will come back to the tories where it matters. Both of these factors gives room for optimism for the tories but Labour do start with some formidable advantages. I still make them favourites.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    There's always the current LD loyalist column which shows Cammo vs Ed splitting 72% vs 23%....

Could they not be 'less loyal' in seats where it matters?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Why does OGH and others persist in calling this group LibDem to Labour switchers? They are not. They are Labour voters who voted LibDem in 2005/2010 because of the Iraq War and the fact they despised Tony Blair whom they saw as a closet Tory. These so called LibDem to Labour switchers are no more than reds climbing back on top of the bed having hidden underneath it for a decade.

OGH asks us not to go on hunch but to go on the evidence. Is that evidence a bunch of polls which like YouGov swing about more than a pogo stick?

The evidence is:
    Local elections 2014, Labour badly underperformed by everyone's expectations
    Euro Elections 2014, had Labour not bucked the trend in London, the Tories would have ended up with both more votes and seats. Labour still managed only to beat the main government party by 1 seat and 1% of vote. By contrast in 2009 the Tories had almost double the Labour votes and seats.
    By-elections week in and week out, we are seeing Labour pick up the odd one here or there. It is not winning consistently or well. Last weekend we even saw a swing to the Tories in Cheshire in one seat it managed to hang on to.
    Newark, we saw the party supposedly heading for government retreat to a bad 3rd place in a seat it won in 1997 (albeit on different boundaries)

In short out there in the real world there is little or no evidence Labour is heading for a victory next year. Ed Milibland is Michael Foot Mark II
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

A lot of the LibDem defectors defected over Iraq. David Miliband had the unlucky job of inheriting that particular clusterfvck as foreign secretary. He may be personally implicated in illegality and human rights violations, and if he isn't he's very likely to be implicated in the subsequent cover-up. If he was currently Labour leader, the coalition would be using ongoing leaks and investigations to keep all this stuff in the news. As it is, Ed Miliband has been able to quietly hose away the worst of the war criminality sludge and everyone except Galloway has moved on.
    Not to mention that the more personal criticisms of Ed also apply to David: looks weird, speaks wonkish, and is a North London intellectual son of a Marxist academic. Oh, and he ran against his own brother for the leadership.

Come to think of it, the whole package of personal abuse was probably drawn up with David in mind.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

2015 will not be a re-run of 1992 but it will be interesting. There are a lot of votes up for grabs who will be struggling to be enthusiastic about anyone.

The next election will be about who is punishing who? OGH identifies one group - those 2010 LibDems (who were probably by and large ex-Labour voters) who want to punish Clegg for siding with the evil, baby-eating Tories.

Another group are Kippers who want to punish Cameron for not getting our borders under control and stopping Johnny-foreigner eating our swans - even if, bizarrely, it will put in place a Labour party that oversaw such a massive increase in the UK population. But their punishing of Cameron is not of this logic-based universe.

Another huge group are 2010 Tories, who still want to punish Labour for fecking things up so badly 1997-2010 (and every other time they have had power).

Yet another huge group are forever Labour voters, who want to punish Tories just for breathing.

And another large group are those who will look at things and - whilst not delighted with the way things are - will acknowledge that the Coalition have by and large fixed the economy and so don't see a reason to get off their arses and punish them. Whether they will get off their arses and vote to stop Ed Miliband breaking it again - that's the unknown for 2015. My instinct says enough of them will.

• Options
    2015 will be fascinating because we'll witness for the first time a 4 party election under the FPTP system - so likelihood of a weird / outrageous result is quite high.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014

Morning all - Mr EiT, thought you might enjoy this hat-tip from last month by J.Rentoul.

JR: - “Provoked by Mike Smithson and his commenter Edmund in Tokyo, I return to the subject of what would have happened had David Miliband won the Labour leadership in 2010. I have said before that the party would have been in a worse position, because the naive left would have reacted badly to being led by another warmongering neocon capitalist.”

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2014/06/21/that-david-miliband-what-if-updated/
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited July 2014

Not to mention that the more personal criticisms of Ed also apply to David: looks weird, speaks wonkish, and is a North London intellectual son of a Marxist academic. Oh, and he ran against his own brother for the leadership.

Come to think of it, the whole package of personal abuse was probably drawn up with David in mind.

Why is saying someone is a North London intellectual and the son of a Marxist academic a personal criticism?

And what is it with this North London thing? Why does adding that before intellectual make it so much worse?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    DavidL said:

Just how important are these Lib Dem to Labour converters? My guess is that a lot of them live in seats Labour are just not competitive in. They voted tactically for the Lib Dems to help stop the tories (successfully or otherwise) and then found the party they voted for giving the tories a majority.

They feel cheated and angry and it will be very hard for the Lib Dems to get them to vote tactically again. But in many seats the only gainers from that will be the tories.

Much more important will be those who voted Lib Dem in seats Labour are competitive in, particularly seats Labour lost like Broxtowe. If Labour can squeeze the Lib Dems in seats like this they will gain MPs but I suspect the enthusiasm levels of these Lib Dems for Labour is much lower than those who lent their vote and got cheated.

These are people like Southam who consider themselves vaguely lefty but found it impossible to vote for the economic incoherence of Brown. Ed really needs to find an economic policy to tempt these voters and he had not done so yet. If the Lib Dem vote recovers (big if) many of these will drift back.

In Con-Lab marginals, left-wing voters would already have been inclined to vote Labour in 2010.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I admire Mike Smithson for tying his colours to the mast with his emphatic theory. But, I am not sure I really believe it.

Mike has also emphasised that the LibDems will circle the wagons for the GE 2015. Seats like Cambridge or North Norfolk or Colchester will receive all the funding, all the nearby activists will swarm into them, the leaflet and the poster war will be fought there, and so on.

I think seats like Ipswich (8556 LibDem votes) or Bedford (8957 votes) will see almost all their LibDem vote vanish.

That is what happens when there are no leaflets, no activists, no visibility -- because all the East Anglian LibDems have been sent to Cambridge or North Norfolk or Colchester.

In 2010, I think almost all the LibDem vote will vanish in seats other than the targets. Not just the left-leaning part (which has already gone). The right-leaning part will go Tory, and some LibDems will stay at home. Why go to the polls to vote LibDem in a constituency when there is so little visibility from the LibDems on the ground ?

And in fairness, there is one howling lesson of the byelections of this Parliament.

LibDem lost deposits. Almost all the LibDem vote goes, not just the left-leaning part.

That is why I don't believe Mike Smithson's argument.

• Options

DavidL said:

The next election will be about who is punishing who? OGH identifies one group - those 2010 LibDems (who were probably by and large ex-Labour voters) who want to punish Clegg for siding with the evil, baby-eating Tories.

Another group are Kippers who want to punish Cameron for not getting our borders under control and stopping Johnny-foreigner eating our swans - even if, bizarrely, it will put in place a Labour party that oversaw such a massive increase in the UK population. But their punishing of Cameron is not of this logic-based universe.

Another huge group are 2010 Tories, who still want to punish Labour for fecking things up so badly 1997-2010 (and every other time they have had power).

Yet another huge group are forever Labour voters, who want to punish Tories just for breathing.

And another large group are those who will look at things and - whilst not delighted with the way things are - will acknowledge that the Coalition have by and large fixed the economy and so don't see a reason to get off their arses and punish them. Whether they will get off their arses and vote to stop Ed Miliband breaking it again - that's the unknown for 2015. My instinct says enough of them will.

I think enough of them will for the Conservatives to gain most votes.
    However, a vote share in the mid-thirties seems to be as good as it can get for either of the big two.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Surely what we need is a poll that asks people how important they think the personality of the leader of each Party is, and - even more - by how much they think X is better than Y.

"Who do you expect to perform better in the TV debates?" might also be interesting. Or, alternatively, the preference for Cammo is simply based on an expectation that he'll wipe the floor with Ed during them.

FWIW I suspect all four - including that Kipper whose name escapes me - will put people off. They are all public schoolboys, after all.
  • Options
    Well, if the polls are to be believed then a Labour victory is nailed on. BUT, I don't think they can be. That might be the self delusion of a life long Tory or it may be based on reality. There have been two instances where the polls indicated the electorate were going to vote contrarywise to rationality, one was 1992 the other was the Cleggasm in 2010. There were going to be between 80 and 90 LD MPs including two more in Cumbria. It was striking in one of those Cumbrian seats the Cleggasm never materialised in doorstep canvassing even in the county seat the LD candidate parliamentary candidate had taken against the odds twelve months earlier.

I think in answering opinion pollsters people respond in the abstract as opposed to their own private reality. They give responses which reflect the talking heads on the Beeb and C4. They want to come over as informed rather than parochial. By contrast in 1997 the weight of opinion was so strong that this abstract swung over into reality for many voters - although nowhere near as many as the polls suggested. Would the Tories hold 100 seats was a question at the time.

David Cameron must not take the electorate for granted: their faith in him is fragile but as yet unbroken. He is the first PM since Churchill not to be hated and or ridiculed by his opponents. He is within a grasp of a working Tory majority but it is he, not his opponents who will see whether this comes about or not.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good morning, everyone.

Not long to Hockenheim. Susie Wolff gets a second go in the Williams during P1, not sure if it'll be Bottas' car again (I'd guess Massa's, to make it even). Williams have got to aim to beat Mercedes. Not sure whether FRIC suspension has been officially banned yet, or the relative impact on the teams if it is.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

In Con-Lab marginals, left-wing voters would already have been inclined to vote Labour in 2010.

They didn't vote Labour because Labour screwed the economy. Labour need to show that they would not screw the economy again. They are not succeeding.
  • Options
    MarqueeMark [7.59am] Tories, who still want to punish Labour for fecking things up so badly 1997-2010 (and every other time they have had power).

Another thing I'd like to see polled is Tory voters asked if they believe that. Outside of the Party membership, I doubt many do. Everyone on (or off) this site who has strong political beliefs is perceived as a weirdo by normal people.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

I think you underestimate the level of despair that the Brown government induced in so many on the non-tribal left.

• Options

snip

FWIW I suspect all four - including that Kipper whose name escapes me - will put people off. They are all public schoolboys, after all.

I thought Ed attended a 'bog standard' Comprehensive School in Haverstock?
  • Options
    General question for PBers: What will (or can) Dave put into the Tory manifesto that will move the polls in his favour?

He clearly needs to move up from low/mid 30s to nearer 40%. I suspect there are things he could push that will resonate both with the electorate and with Tory core values. Some themes:
    1. Significant Devomax for Scotland with full tax powers. (Tory fortunes in Scotland can only really go up and this would put alot of pressure on other partied to do likewise).
    2. Recognise England. EV4EL or English Parliament as part of a federal (and equal) arrangement between UK as a whole and the 4 countries. (I suspect this would be VERY popular in England).
    3. Keep pushing personal financial freedoms (such as the budget move on pensions / killing compulsory annuities and make things better for savers).
    4. Some red meat, anything, but genuinely ‘wow they mean it’ on the EU. If Dave can persuade Juncker / Brussels to accept a two speed EU in return for his full support on an ever closer Eurozone core – well the Kippers would love a two speed offering (benefits of ‘In’ without the nannying / democratic deficit of Eurozone bullying or potential losses of ‘Out’). We’d be effectively out but nominally in.
    5. Keep it up on school freedom.
    6. Meaningful red meat on immigration. Maybe a points system of ‘desirable vs undesirable’ immigration. Less PC than today. Canada and Australian examples are pretty solid and allow selection.
    7. Continued squeeze on benefits cheats / limits on benefits. This combined with reduced taxes on the working poor. Make the difference in financial return from working vs benefits lifestyle much more beneficial to those who work.

Any views on what would be genuinely popular?
  • Options

In 2010, I think almost all the LibDem vote will vanish in seats other than the targets. Not just the left-leaning part (which has already gone). The right-leaning part will go Tory...

This I think is the piece of the equation not being considered. The left-leaning part of the LibDems has run to Labour. The right-leaning par tot the LibDems has stayed - because ether are in power.

Come 2015 and a moribund LibDem Party, I can see a sizeable chunk of that right-leaning LibDem vote going Tory to stop an Ed Miliband-led Govt.

I actually think 2015 will not be a four party election, but a two and two-half party election.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They didn't vote Labour because Labour screwed the economy. Labour need to show that they would not screw the economy again. They are not succeeding.

We are just a couple of months away from the Labour Conference, where they should be cementing their economic offering with the voters - not unveiling it.

Assuming they are going to unveil it?
  • Options

And what is it with this North London thing? Why does adding that before intellectual make it so much worse?
    Isn't it code for "Jewish"?

Should be completely irrelevant, but I fear for some, is not.

• Options

Morning all - Mr EiT, thought you might enjoy this hat-tip from last month by J.Rentoul.

JR: - “Provoked by Mike Smithson and his commenter Edmund in Tokyo, I return to the subject of what would have happened had David Miliband won the Labour leadership in 2010. I have said before that the party would have been in a worse position, because the naive left would have reacted badly to being led by another warmongering neocon capitalist.”

Cheers. What he's missing is that the enemy controls the news cycle. They can leak compromising water-damaged documents whenever they want to, and we get another round of David Miliband wriggling and prevaricating, giving all the 2010 LibDems WMD flashbacks.

He who controls the past controls the future, and he who controls the hair dryer controls the past.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

General question for PBers: What will (or can) Dave put into the Tory manifesto that will move the polls in his favour?

He clearly needs to move up from low/mid 30s to nearer 40%. I suspect there are things he could push that will resonate both with the electorate and with Tory core values. Some themes:
    1. Significant Devomax for Scotland with full tax powers. (Tory fortunes in Scotland can only really go up and this would put alot of pressure on other partied to do likewise).
    2. Recognise England. EV4EL or English Parliament as part of a federal (and equal) arrangement between UK as a whole and the 4 countries. (I suspect this would be VERY popular in England).
    3. Keep pushing personal financial freedoms (such as the budget move on pensions / killing compulsory annuities and make things better for savers).
    4. Some red meat, anything, but genuinely ‘wow they mean it’ on the EU. If Dave can persuade Juncker / Brussels to accept a two speed EU in return for his full support on an ever closer Eurozone core – well the Kippers would love a two speed offering (benefits of ‘In’ without the nannying / democratic deficit of Eurozone bullying or potential losses of ‘Out’). We’d be effectively out but nominally in.
    5. Keep it up on school freedom.
    6. Meaningful red meat on immigration. Maybe a points system of ‘desirable vs undesirable’ immigration. Less PC than today. Canada and Australian examples are pretty solid and allow selection.
    7. Continued squeeze on benefits cheats / limits on benefits. This combined with reduced taxes on the working poor. Make the difference in financial return from working vs benefits lifestyle much more beneficial to those who work.

Any views on what would be genuinely popular?

1 -- devomax -- yes

2 -- England -- I'm not sure the English feel very strongly about this, especially once the Scots have voted "no", and it will be tricky to do without alienating Wales, where, let's remember, there are several Conservative MPs defending their seats.

3 -- financial freedom -- probably, but be careful not to undermine "we're all in it together".

4 -- two-speed EU -- yes (and about the only formulation that will not split the party)

5 -- schools -- all the polling evidence is that voters despair of Gove and all his works, although probably this is mainly because of the mess he has made of school places.

6 -- immigration -- it is too easy to reignite the "nasty party" meme -- "are you thinking what we're thinking?" did not work last time they tried it.

7 -- benefits -- dangerous because while people hate scroungers in the abstract, they are sympathetic to those who need a helping hand. See 6.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Re UKIP and Farage's suggesting that a UKIP-Con pact is possible

Can I just say that Farage is a tactically outstanding politician, and his floating this balloon is a classically brilliant example of this.

The aim of this 'hint' is two-fold: Firstly, sow disarray among the Tories by getting them to argue over an offer that does not exist. There will be a great many senior, Eurosceptic, Tories who see this as a chance to (a) neutralise the effect of UKIP, and (b) bring the Conservative Party nearer to UKIP's stance on many issues. In addition, this enables UKIP to 'dog whistle' to many in the Shires and many UKIP-sympathisers that 'we too are a party of the right', and that supporting UKIP is the best way to bring the Conservative Party into line.

Cameron cannot, of course, enter into a pact with UKIP. Not least because it's not a serious offer. Farage does not want a pact with the Tories because it would frighten many of the more recent Labour converts. (I can see the Labour advert now: 'Vote Conservative, get Tory; vote Liberal Democrat, get Tory; vote UKIP, get Tory.')

And Cameron could not enter into a coalition, because what could he offer? What seats would he have to give up? And what seats would he get in return? And what advantage is there to validating an existential threat to the Conservative Party? More narrowly, as the Liberal Democrats on 7% would likely have more MPs than UKIP on 14%, the possibility exists that Cameron would be reducing the range of coalition options post election. (And a UKIP-Conservative pact might reinvigorate the LibDem left, by de-facto ruling out the possibility of a Conservative-LibDem coalition after the election.)

So, Farage can make the hints, safe in the knowledge that the Conservative Party cannot take him up.
  • Options

Cheers. What he's missing is that the enemy controls the news cycle. They can leak compromising water-damaged documents whenever they want to, and we get another round of David Miliband wriggling and prevaricating, giving all the 2010 LibDems WMD flashbacks.

He who controls the past controls the future, and he who controls the hair dryer controls the past.
    Not that the Middle East isn't back in the news anyway.
  • Options

Indeed. Labour has so far managed to ride both the Jewish and Muslim horses, but I fear (especially if Israel carries on as it is doing) that a lot more places will follow Tower Hamlets/Galloway. The days of the politics of class are dying, and those of the politics of race are dawning. Probably not the kind of politics OGH will enjoy having a flutter on.

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    A Red Liberals thread! Hurrah!

Excellent analysis from Mike.

Polling vs Blairite columnist anecdote.
  • Options

It could be, though I think it is more to do with the idea that Blairites and Cameroons represent a privileged urban elite. Anyway, they always say it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,524
    Well Blair is the only Labour leader to win a working majority in the last 48 years.

So you can understand why some Labour supporters see Blair as the benchmark.
  • Options

Why is saying someone is a North London intellectual and the son of a Marxist academic a personal criticism?

Much of North London is very nice. I have never grasped why it is a PB term of abuse. It is perhaps sheer jealously from those who aren't lucky enough to live there.
  • Options
    Patrick, I think the next Budget is more important than the Manifesto.

If I were Osborne, I would be inclined to give a great big bribe to students. Say the Govt. will waive the first 10,000 pounds of loan repayments as they fall due. In practical terms, it pushes the pain on national finances off over the horizon in many cases - but takes away a worry from our graduates.

"The graduates from our universities and colleges are our means to secure this nation's prosperity in future decades. Many of them have had to bear a heavy burden to assist the country out of the economic woes inflicted by the last Govt. But today I am pleased to announce this Govt. will greatly reduce that burden placed upon them...."
  • Options
    I think @Patrick's program would appeal to those who were already tory supporters (and maybe some UKIP defectors) but would do little to broaden the support of the party. How about:

1. Increasing the NMW in the autumn statement.

2. Really committing to a major transport investment in the north west, forgetting about HS2 for the time being.

3. Moving on IDS and getting someone in DWP who can actually get things moving with the focus on making work pay.

4. Breaking up the major banks.

5. Using tax breaks such as allowing more than 100% relief on new investment and training to encourage domestic business.

6. Accepting and declaring that removing the deficit is going to involve higher taxes for the better off as well as cuts in spending.
  • Options

Yup, I can't see another reason for putting North London in front of intellectual except to make that point.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Same thing as the way Cameron's labelled part of The Chipping Norton set and an Old Etonian.

It's to say he's not really like the rest of the electorate

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

So, Farage can make the hints, safe in the knowledge that the Conservative Party cannot take him up.

Farage can have a clear run at 20 seats in my book - as long as they are all Labour held.....

• Options

Yup, I can't see another reason for putting North London in front of intellectual except to make that point.
    Would be a sinister state of affairs if true. Bit like the moronic and deeply sinister 'weird' taunts. Nasty schoolyard stuff from brainless book burners.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Much of North London is very nice. I have never grasped why it is a PB term of abuse. It is perhaps sheer jealously from those who aren't lucky enough to live there.

It's a heritage thing for Ed (as it would have been for David).

North London can be very nice and is certainly a lot nicer than it was 20 or 30 years ago. But it is also home to many of the most deprived parts of the country. Anyone brought up there and educated in the state system is going to be very aware of that.
  • Options

Same thing as the way Cameron's labelled part of The Chipping Norton set and an Old Etonian.

What's North London got to do with that?

• Options
    I throughout enjoyed my sunny afternoon in Islington yesterday. My wife did a bit of house shopping and had a family lunch in the sunshine. I was struck by just how nice the people were, from all over the world.

Sounds like a PB Tory worst nightmare.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    DavidL said:

I think @Patrick's program would appeal to those who were already tory supporters (and maybe some UKIP defectors) but would do little to broaden the support of the party. How about:

1. Increasing the NMW in the autumn statement.

2. Really committing to a major transport investment in the north west, forgetting about HS2 for the time being.

3. Moving on IDS and getting someone in DWP who can actually get things moving with the focus on making work pay.

4. Breaking up the major banks.

5. Using tax breaks such as allowing more than 100% relief on new investment and training to encourage domestic business.

6. Accepting and declaring that removing the deficit is going to involve higher taxes for the better off as well as cuts in spending.

He would be sensible to include something for existing pensioners to shore up the key demographic for the Tories and show some ankle to the Kipper curious greys
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    One small point on party workers/groundforce. Unless things have changed dramatically, at by-elections people are willing to move from their home patch to help out elsewhere. At General Elections, people want to help in their own patch. Even in no-hope paper candidate seats, most party foot soldiers will only help out on their own doorstep. They will not travel. That is for the diehards.

There will be lots of LibDems who insist on fighting in their own patch over the next year rather than travelling to one of the 50 or so key seats they are defending. These LibDems will be keen to help bolster the chances of their remaining local LibDem councillors and they can only do that by putting up a decent, if modest campaign for next year. As they are spending their own money in their own time, appeals from the centre to go to the aid of Norman Lamb etc are likely to fall on deaf ears.

Norman Lamb, David Laws, Jeremy Browne and others should be brokering a deal with Cammo to join the Tory party. That is their best route to keeping their political careers alive.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Bit like the moronic and deeply sinister 'weird' taunts. Nasty schoolyard stuff from brainless book burners.

So if you think Ed is weird, you're a Nazi?

FFS.....

• Options
    edited July 2014

I thought it was suggesting being a Spurs fan and our perennial status of nearly but not quite good enough.... Ade missing pre-season tour due to malaria will also ensure no one else will take him either I presume? Bobby Sol to the rescue with Citizen K to be lumped at.
  • Options
    @SO

Indeed. Islington remains one of the most deprived boroughs in the country, in parts. Not that you would believe it from the way it is profiled.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

rcs1000 said:

Farage can have a clear run at 20 seats in my book - as long as they are all Labour held.....

Farage anot suggesting his idea or what he wanted, only peddling what he thought of as a suggestion for the tories.
    Anyway as mentioned before I think, dealing with Farage would put off all the people who might otherwise vote tory in a seat to keep labour out and put off people in LD/Tory marginals, indeed put off everybody (90+% of the electorate) who hate UKIP.
  • Options

Agree whole heartedly with you that had David Miliband been elected as leader, then his involvement in rendition fights (as discussed regularly on PB.com at the time) would have come back to haunt him again and again.

Where we differ slightly, is the ‘soggy document theory’ – this shameful period during Labour’s tenure is well documented I believe, but it would be the likes of the Guardian leading the vanguard to expose it.
  • Options

An urban area of 2.5 million from all walks of life and all income stratas. Hardly the same as a dull monocultural village in the middle of nowhere.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

I throughout enjoyed my sunny afternoon in Islington yesterday. My wife did a bit of house shopping and had a family lunch in the sunshine. I was struck by just how nice the people were, from all over the world.

Open, friendly and affluent is the Tory nirvana actually.
    People generally are nice when they avoid the class warrior/smash the joneses BS
  • Options

Well Blair was accused of being Islington politics.

I think it is code for leftish politics.

If these posters weren't referencing Jewishness then I'm sure North London isn't a Jewish smear

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4223091.stm

And

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4217009.stm
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

An urban area of 2.5 million from all walks of life and all income stratas. Hardly the same as a dull monocultural village in the middle of nowhere.
    Absolutely. labour smears are fine and noble, Tory smears are evil, probably racist and must be pointed out at all times, along with a nudge and a wink.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Not convinced - it just emphasises the remoteness/narrowness of focus.

It's the same with "Oxford academic" somehow seeming even less worldly than "academic"
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

My recollection of the swings at the last election was that the Lib Dems increased their vote most in seats where they were third - perhaps Con-Lab marginals or Con/Lab safe seats. This is one reason why they were able to lose seats in 2010 at the same time as gaining votes.

There are quite a lot of Lib Dem votes in Con-Lab marginals. For example, in my "Four to Forgo Forgetting", the Lib Dem share of the vote (with change on 2005) is:

Kingswood: 16.8% (-1.2)
    Pendle: 20.2 (-3.0)
    Vale of Glamorgan: 15.2 (+2.0)
    Harlow: 13.7 (+0.7)

So, some up and some down, but the ~one-third of the vote that Labour is taking from 2010 Lib Dems amounts to >5 percentage points in the first three of those marginals, enough in the case of Kingswood to give Labour the seat, and put them very close in Pendle and Vale of Glamorgan.

It then takes only a relatively small number of Con-UKIP swing voters to hand Labour those seats.

I think the Conservatives will have to convince quite a few Labour 2010 voters to support the incumbent government if they are going to deny Miliband.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

People generally are nice when they avoid the class warrior/smash the joneses BS
    I suspect you are confusing your own views with those of the PB Tory rump, who consider North London as a term of abuse.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

That's the problem, the ones he might actually win are Tory-held. I guess the one way this might work would be if a chunk of Tory incumbents jumped ship close to the election. The Tories might figure they were going to lose those seats anyway, and it would be better to lose them in a way that didn't look like a loss, and kept open the possibility of getting the wayward MPs back once this whole UKIP fad had blown over.

Or that's one problem. The other one is that as polled, a Con-UKIP pact seems to drive a bunch of voters away from Con.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited July 2014
    DavidL said:

Not my experience. The loyal 2010 LibDems in my patch partly believed the spin - encouraged by the voodoo poll of shoppers in the local paper which put them second - that they genuinely had a shot and Labour was obviously stuffed, and partly they simply felt we were too right-wing, since that's how the 2010 campaign was pitched here. The first argument has evaporated - literally nobody thinks the LibDems might win here next time, and everyone thinks Labour is competitive. The second argument has changed into "should I vote Labour or Green?" But the Greens are so tiny locally (<1% with half a dozen active members) that it's an argument that we are mostly winning at GE level.

<blockquote class="UserQuote">

In 2010, I think almost all the LibDem vote will vanish in seats other than the targets. Not just the left-leaning part (which has already gone). The right-leaning part will go Tory, and some LibDems will stay at home. Why go to the polls to vote LibDem in a constituency when there is so little visibility from the LibDems on the ground ?

And in fairness, there is one howling lesson of the byelections of this Parliament.

LibDem lost deposits. Almost all the LibDem vote goes, not just the left-leaning part.

That is why I don't believe Mike Smithson's argument.

Have a look at the "forced Con vs Lab choice" figures in the polls for CURRENT LibDems. Depending on how the question is put, they're broadly evenly divided. It's a mistake to think that the remaining supporters are right-wing. And to be fair I doubt if they're really up for grabs by anyone - someone who is loyal to the LibDems today after all the criticism is really not going to switch.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Townie vs Sticksville debate... time for work.
  • Options

DavidL said:

My recollection of the swings at the last election was that the Lib Dems increased their vote most in seats where they were third - perhaps Con-Lab marginals or Con/Lab safe seats. This is one reason why they were able to lose seats in 2010 at the same time as gaining votes.

There are quite a lot of Lib Dem votes in Con-Lab marginals. For example, in my "Four to Forgo Forgetting", the Lib Dem share of the vote (with change on 2005) is:

Kingswood: 16.8% (-1.2)
    Pendle: 20.2 (-3.0)
    Vale of Glamorgan: 15.2 (+2.0)
    Harlow: 13.7 (+0.7)

So, some up and some down, but the ~one-third of the vote that Labour is taking from 2010 Lib Dems amounts to >5 percentage points in the first three of those marginals, enough in the case of Kingswood to give Labour the seat, and put them very close in Pendle and Vale of Glamorgan.

It then takes only a relatively small number of Con-UKIP swing voters to hand Labour those seats.

I think the Conservatives will have to convince quite a few Labour 2010 voters to support the incumbent government if they are going to deny Miliband.
    These seats are in my second category: where there is a significant squeezable Lib Dem vote. I agree Labour will have gains in these seats. Broxtowe is another. If Nick does not win his seat back Labour are having a truly terrible night.
  • Options

If these posters weren't referencing Jewishness then I'm sure North London isn't a Jewish smear

And

The ultimate "yeah but what about" post. That was a disgraceful poster campaign, however.

What do you make of the Ed is Weird stuff? Comfortable with it?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

I suspect you are confusing your own views with those of the PB Tory rump, who consider North London as a term of abuse.
    Area discrimination is rife across the political spectrum. I regularly have to read highly amusing comments about Norfolk being full of inbreds. Usually from people that live in total crud holes.
  • Options

And

I didn't say it was a smear. I would not consider being Jewish to be in any way negative. But I can't help thinking those who complained about the Shylock and Flying Pigs posters that Labour withdrew and apologised for and who now use the term North London intellectual are being ever so slightly hypocritical.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

Would be a sinister state of affairs if true. Bit like the moronic and deeply sinister 'weird' taunts. Nasty schoolyard stuff from brainless book burners.

Do you remember this? This is what nasty politics is, not some imagined association that you are drawing.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgrefurl=http://www.bloggerheads.com/archives/2005/02/posters_doodles/&amp;tbnid=sGIIoHBy0DQZhM:&amp;docid=MIGB9pAyUM9wiM&amp;h=250&amp;w=500
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

But, you treat "Chipping Norton" as a term of abuse.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    DavidL says - 'Really committing to a major transport investment in the north west, forgetting about HS2 for the time being.'
    There is already major transport investment in the North - The Northern Hub. The Liverpool Manchester line is already being electrified. Osborne has already announced a proposal for even more transport links to unify Manchester Bradford Leeds Sheffield. HS2 is still years off, electrification of Liverpool Manchester will be complete by December 2014.

I would be interested to know what DavidL means by higher taxes for the better off - VAT has already gone up and in the main is on items which cover discretionary spending. Its broadly accepted i think that higher rate PAYE does not raise much if any extra money and leads to the widespread tax avoidance schemes by the rich which have been in the news recently.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

So why is it a PB Tories worst nightmare?

1. They don't like sun?
    2. They don't like Islington?
    3. They don't like women?
    4. They don't like shopping?
    5. They don't like family?
    6. They don't like lunch?
    7. They don't like nice people?
    8. They don't like people from other parts of the world?

Just what are you accusing a lot of people that post on this website of?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

And

The ultimate "yeah but what about" post. That was a disgraceful poster campaign, however.

What do you make of the Ed is Weird stuff? Comfortable with it?
    Ed is weird. He should embrace it.

Same way Dave should embrace the out of touch Toff jibes.

At least the Tories never ran a by election focussing on Ed's weirdness like the way Labour tried to make the Crewe and Nantwich about Dave's background.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, were the posters withdrawn and an apology offered? I thought they remained up. Could be wrong.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

Is that evidence a bunch of polls which like YouGov swing about more than a pogo stick?

In short out there in the real world there is little or no evidence Labour is heading for a victory next year. Ed Milibland is Michael Foot Mark II

If your pogo sticks swings around when you use it I would suggest you aren't doing it right.

No argument about the Miliband / Foot comparison though. Miliband has the down-to-earth pragmatism of Foot and the gravitas of Neil Kinnock. His prospects as PM would be comparable.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

But, you treat "Chipping Norton" as a term of abuse.

No, I don't.
  • Options

And

I didn't say it was a smear. I would not consider being Jewish to be in any way negative. But I can't help thinking those who complained about the Shylock and Flying Pigs posters that Labour withdrew and apologised for and who now use the term North London intellectual are being ever so slightly hypocritical.

Revising history there.

Labour didn't withdraw the posters or apologise.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Charles said:

BobaFett said:

1. They don't like sun?

All of the above surely.

• Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

It's not personal abuse, it's a perfectly valid observation to make: if he will do that to his own brother, what will he do to the rest of us?
  • Options

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Area discrimination is rife across the political spectrum. I regularly have to read highly amusing comments about Norfolk being full of inbreds. Usually from people that live in total crud holes.
    I think Norfolk is lovely. A long sunny September weekend on the broads still ranks as one of my best trips ever.

Utterly beautiful place.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@SO

Indeed. Islington remains one of the most deprived boroughs in the country, in parts. Not that you would believe it from the way it is profiled.

It's a point I have made on here before. You can walk round North London and see loads of Victorian and Edwardian townhouses, or you can look a little more carefully and see the huge numbers of council flats and houses that may often be tucked away from immediate view in streets behind the main roads and shopping areas. Just 100 yards from where Ed now lives there's a very big council housing project. If Ed were the only Labour voter in the Dartmouth Park conservation area it would still never be a Tory area.

• Options
    Personally speaking Labour should appoint Ken Livingstone to run an inquiry into all these anti Semitic smears aimed at Ed Miliband.
  • Options

It's not personal abuse, it's a perfectly valid observation to make: if he will do that to his own brother, what will he do to the rest of us?
    Complete and utter bollocks.

Why should he have stood down just because his big brother wanted to run?

David had his chance and bottled it.
  • Options

Out-compete the rest of us for a promotion? If that's what you're worried about you're best off keeping him busy with the Prime Minister job.
  • Options
    Charles said:

BobaFett said:

1. They don't like sun?

None of the above.

8. They don't like North London.
  • Options

And

Revising history there.

Yes, you are right. The posters were never printed in the first place, were they?

• Options
    edited July 2014

Personally speaking Labour should appoint Ken Livingstone to run an inquiry into all these anti Semitic smears aimed at Ed Miliband.

Arf - should that not be followed by an 'innocent-face' ; )
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    North London isn't code for Jewish. Its shorthand for a kind if multicultural, organic food, gastropub, cosmopolitan lifestyle that few can afford, but many Labour people aspire to while pretending to be working class. and why not? It's lovely

I have lived there and I know there are rough parts too but in the main it is a beautiful part of the world

The problem labour has is when people like @Bobafett confuse upper st, which is a great place to spend time in because of its diverse mix of culture with places like Barking which is a crap place to live for the same reason

The idea that all diverse multicultural places are like upper st is the reason north London means 'out of touch'... It's like Champagne socialism in the 80s
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

1. They don't like sun?

All of the above surely.

Sorry for poking you with the 'troll' button for BobaFett, but it's an unusually unpleasant post from him.
  • Options
    @TSE

You haven't met him, I'd guess.

In person, he isn't actually weird in the slightest.

Very normal and affable. More so than most other politicians I have met.
  • Options

A lot of the LibDem defectors defected over Iraq. David Miliband had the unlucky job of inheriting that particular clusterfvck as foreign secretary. He may be personally implicated in illegality and human rights violations, and if he isn't he's very likely to be implicated in the subsequent cover-up. If he was currently Labour leader, the coalition would be using ongoing leaks and investigations to keep all this n.

And

Revising history there.

Yes, you are right. The posters were never printed in the first place, were they?

They were on the Labour Party website so activists could print them.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Nick Palmer: "And to be fair I doubt if they're really up for grabs by anyone - someone who is loyal to the LibDems today after all the criticism is really not going to switch."

Look at any by-election. In Newark, the LibDems ran a low-key campaign, much like they will run in anything that is not a target seat.

All the LibDem vote went.

Mike wrote an article on Aug 9th 2013 suggesting that the number of LibDem lost deposits will be in the hundreds.

If there are to be hundreds of lost deposits, there is more for the LibDems to bleed.

NP: "Have a look at the "forced Con vs Lab choice" figures in the polls for CURRENT LibDems. Depending on how the question is put, they're broadly evenly divided. It's a mistake to think that the remaining supporters are right-wing."

Most of the LibDem held seats were taken form the Tories. Some of those voters would have once voted Tory.

Right-wing is probably not the right term, centrist is probably be better.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, you were the one who said they were withdrawn and apologised for, which appears not to be the case.
  • Options
    isam said:

North London isn't code for Jewish. Its shorthand for a kind if multicultural, organic food, gastropub, cosmopolitan lifestyle that few can afford, but many Labour people aspire to while pretending to be working class. and why not? It's lovely

I have lived there and I know there are rough parts too but in the main it is a beautiful part of the world

The problem labour has is when people like @Bobafett confuse upper st, which is a great place to spend time in because of its diverse mix of culture with places like Barking which is a crap place to live for the same reason

The idea that all diverse multicultural places are like upper st is the reason north London means 'out of touch'... It's like Champagne socialism in the 80s

Barking isn't in North London!
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@TSE

You haven't met him, I'd guess.

In person, he isn't actually weird in the slightest.

Very normal and affable. More so than most other politicians I have met.

I've met Ed.

Very briefly.
This discussion has been closed.