Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on what what might happen to upset the consen

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited July 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on what what might happen to upset the consensus on the GE2015 outcome

I was struck at the politicalbetting meet in Ilkley on Monday how much consensus there was about the likely result of the next election.  The great majority expected Labour as the largest party in another hung parliament.  That’s the view of the betting markets too:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    On the second question, someone (HurstLlama I think) pointed out that the Electoral Commission mentioned that a consistent polling level of 10% was key in UKIP being considered a major party for the European elections. If they make a decision in October, which they have said they might, UKIP will likely have met that criterion for the general. That means they will in the debates.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I think we can probably discount the reshuffle(s) from having much effect on voting, save perhaps for a "Tory woman problem" meme. I'm beginning to think in Scotland even a "no" vote would leave them a bit shell-shocked.

I've been in the Highlands this week - what support there is is for "Yes" - much spray painted on the back of roadsigns, rocks, etc - but not that much really.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Yep, the markets are too confident that not much will change. This is a capital mistake and they make it every time. As I mentioned this morning, as late as October 2009 there was a massive PoliticsHome poll, of 35,000 respondents in marginals, showing the Tories would get a majority of 70. How did that work out?

It doesn't need a big event to shift things. We may well just see a gentle drift, probably starting in the Autumn.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    FPT:

@Socrates,

re Banglashis vs Poles, I put my point badly, let me rephrase it.

If immigration was designed to create Labour voters by importing grateful Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, then why have Polish people coming into the country?

These are people who are not coming here - by and large - to gain citizenship, and so you wouldn't want to bother getting them here for that reason. In fact, the existence of said Poles and Romanians - who gain no economic or otherwise advantage from becoming British - depresses the earning power of the so-called Labour clients core votes.

This EU immigration outnumbers Bangladeshi/Pakistani immigration by an order of magnitude. (If I read the statistics right, 69,000 people came to the UK from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka in 2012, barely more than came from the 'old commonwealth', and massively less than came from the EU. See: http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06077.pdf)

Also, you are so incredibly pessimistic about British culture and society, it genuinely scares me. I believe we are one of the finest - if not the finest - country in the world. I believe that most people who come here, the vast majority in fact, come here because they want to be part of Britain, and want to be part of what makes us great. Sure, there are nutjobs, for whom things didn't work out and who see Allah as the answer. But these people - even in the sink estates of East London - are surprisingly rare. Britain is so great, that the vast majority of people want to be just like you or me. They want their kids to go to university. They want their kids to succeed and have good jobs and wear suits, and have a mortgage and a car. Sure, they (increasingly unsuccessfully) want their kids to still observe Ramadan and not to go with their mates to the pub on a Friday night. But just with the assimilated Jews, it doesn't work in the long-term. Because British culture is awesome and seductive. The reason the Imman preaches violence and destruction is not because we're an easy target, but because he's losing his flock to Mammon and The Fox and Hounds and the Emirates.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rcs1000 said:

If immigration was designed to create Labour voters by importing grateful Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, then why have Polish people coming into the country?

Because that was something that would come about as a natural product of EU membership, and while they wouldn't be as Labour-friendly as third world immigrants, they're not going to be attached to British conservatism in the way that white Brits have. It was an easy thing for Labour just to go "fine, no transitional controls" with.
    rcs1000 said:

This EU immigration outnumbers Bangladeshi/Pakistani immigration by an order of magnitude. (If I read the statistics right, 69,000 people came to the UK from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka in 2012, barely more than came from the 'old commonwealth', and massively less than came from the EU. See: http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06077.pdf)

This is downright deceptive with numbers. You can't compare EU immigration, from 27 nations to just three nations. Add in the numbers from Somalia, Nigeria, the Philippines etc.
    rcs1000 said:

Also, you are so incredibly pessimistic about British culture and society, it genuinely scares me. I believe we are one of the finest - if not the finest - country in the world. I believe that most people who come here, the vast majority in fact, come here because they want to be part of Britain, and want to be part of what makes us great.

You can make these assertions of faith all you want, but the facts speak otherwise. They might be happy to say they're British in surveys, but most immigrants from the developing world cluster in immigrant neighbourhoods where they are with what they consider to be their own people. They want their own TV and radio stations. They want their own shops and restaurants. They want their kids to marry people from their own ethnic group, and they want their grandkids to be brought up in their foreign values system.

Now it's true that not all are like this, and some are very pro-British. And it's also true that many members of the second generation go against their parents wishes and integrate. I think this is great and I think such people are as British as you or me. But it is a long slow process for immigrant communities to integrate, and right now we are importing people much more quickly than we can integrate them. That results in alienation and cultural change. The fact that these immigrant groups have very different voting profiles from the native population demonstrates how far integration has to go.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
    Any polls due tonight?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Socrates said:

On the second question, someone (HurstLlama I think) pointed out that the Electoral Commission mentioned that a consistent polling level of 10% was key in UKIP being considered a major party for the European elections. If they make a decision in October, which they have said they might, UKIP will likely have met that criterion for the general. That means they will in the debates.

@scottp was convinced ukip would not be in the debates... He said it was impossible. He was so convinced that he wouldn't bet it at 1/2
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "On the second question, someone (HurstLlama I think) pointed out that the Electoral Commission mentioned that a consistent polling level of 10% was key in UKIP being considered a major party ..."

Nothing to do with me, old man. I remember seeing such a comment this morning but I certainly didn't make it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,522
    RobD said:

Any polls due tonight?

None tonight, however there was the populus from this morning, that showed sleazy broken Labour, The Liberal Democrats and UKIP all on the slide.

New Populus VI: Lab 36 (-2); Cons 34 (+3); LD 8 (-1); UKIP 12 (-2); Oth 10 (+2) Tables http://popu.lu/s_vi140711
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    This Herdson list reminds me of compouter's list of what is needed for a conservative majority.
  • Options
    DanBarkrDanBarkr Posts: 17
    Is there any way of getting proper threaded comments on here? I find it really hard to follow everything. Cheers.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Possibly of minor interest for the odds?

"The worst fall-off for the Conservatives was in Romford – a key battleground for Ukip – where almost 400 people, more than half of the local party, left in the course of a year"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/11/local-conservative-associations-warn-cameron-members-mass-exodus
  • Options
    Socrates said:

If they have any chance of being in the debates there will be no debates.
    Farage is far too good at them to be allowed in the studio.
  • Options
    Times front page headline:

"Inquiry judge hid claims of bishop's sex abuse

The retired judge leading the Westminster child abuse inquiry kept allegations about a bishop out of a report on a paedophile scandal because she “cared about the Church”, The Times can disclose.

Baroness Butler-Sloss told a victim of alleged abuse that she did not want the claims to be in the public domain because “the press would love a bishop"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4145685.ece

• Options

RobD said:

Any polls due tonight?

None tonight, however there was the populus from this morning, that showed sleazy broken Labour, The Liberal Democrats and UKIP all on the slide.

New Populus VI: Lab 36 (-2); Cons 34 (+3); LD 8 (-1); UKIP 12 (-2); Oth 10 (+2) Tables http://popu.lu/s_vi140711
    All good and proper! I see UKIP have come down a bit from their zenith earlier last month.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

Possibly of minor interest for the odds?

"The worst fall-off for the Conservatives was in Romford – a key battleground for Ukip – where almost 400 people, more than half of the local party, left in the course of a year"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/11/local-conservative-associations-warn-cameron-members-mass-exodus

"while the Liberal Democrats have increased their numbers by about 7% over the last year to more than 44,000."
    Memberships don't quite follow votes. It does affect by election and local election campaigns though.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    DanBarkr said:

Is there any way of getting proper threaded comments on here? I find it really hard to follow everything. Cheers.

No, there isn't, and there's unlikely to ever be. Most of the regulars on here prefer the continuous linear flow of information so they don't miss anything.

Give it time, and you'll get used to it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    DanBarkr said:

The previous comments system (Disqus) moved to a threaded-only based system, and it wasn't well received. That is why we now use the blessing that is Vanilla... *ahem*

Edit to add -- welcome!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,424
    DanBarkr said:

I doubt it, but welcome to the party Mr Barkr.
  • Options
    @Socrates:

Can I just pick up on one point you made: " just a decade between 2001 and 2011, the increase in British residents born in Bangladesh, Pakistan and India increased by half a million"

That sounds like a lot, doesn't it?

But what we're really saying is that - despite what you regard as the most mass immigration friendly government possible - over the course of one decade, 0.8% of the population was imported from the whole Indian subcontinent. And that 0.8% is much less likely to vote than most people (turnout is typically very low in those constituencies with high immigrant populations). So, let's generously say they managed to get 0.6% of votes. Which is obviously ridiculous, because not all the people from the Indian subcontient took British citizenship, and not all of them will vote Labour. But let's just pretend that they did for the sake of your argument.

So, the Labour Party has managed to import 0.6% of people who'll support them come hell or high water in a decade.

But at the cost of losing at least 5x that in terms of Labour losses to UKIP, and presumably some similar number to the Conservative Party.

You are simultaneously accusing the Labour Party of being very clever, and very stupid.

Why one is it?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The retired judge leading the Westminster child abuse inquiry kept allegations about a bishop out of a report on a paedophile scandal because she “cared about the Church”, The Times can disclose.

Baroness Butler-Sloss told a victim of alleged abuse that she did not want the claims to be in the public domain because “the press would love a bishop"

So they will need a new judge or the reply by this one might be "cared about the party" (that might be the idea though).
  • Options
    Socrates said:

DanBarkr said:

No, there isn't, and there's unlikely to ever be. Most of the regulars on here prefer the continuous linear flow of information so they don't miss anything.

Give it time, and you'll get used to it.
    Quite. Invaluable on big event days.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Speedy
    A counter to it would be that, if even a percentage of those leaving the Romford branch went to UKIP, it gives them the basis of a campaign team with experience and canvassing returns?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Speedy
    A counter to it would be that, if even a percentage of those leaving the Romford branch went to UKIP, it gives them the basis of a campaign team with experience and canvassing returns?

But it will influence the result only if its a close one.
    This gay marriage story is old though:

http://ukgovernmentwatch.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/the-war-of-the-tories.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Main item on Radio 4 midnight news: Lord Carey now supports assisted dying.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Strange that in his book killing someone is not as terrible as loving someone.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

AndyJS said:

I believe he only supports assisted suicide for gay marriage supporters.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

AndyJS said:

I believe he only supports assisted suicide for gay marriage supporters.
    Lol, touche.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Out of topic though:
    An amusing conclusion to the $CYNK story.
    The SEC has suspended trading on its shares for 2 weeks due to what we know and that single employee, CEO, owner, CFO, ect ect. worth $5 billion yesterday has been humorously tracked:

http://www.businessinsider.com/cynk-ceo-2014-7
  • Options
    As it is now past midnight, I feel this thread needs me to wish Julius Caesar a happy birthday as he was born on this day in 100BC.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates:

Can I just pick up on one point you made: " just a decade between 2001 and 2011, the increase in British residents born in Bangladesh, Pakistan and India increased by half a million"

But what we're really saying is that - despite what you regard as the most mass immigration friendly government possible - over the course of one decade, 0.8% of the population was imported from the whole Indian subcontinent. And that 0.8% is much less likely to vote than most people (turnout is typically very low in those constituencies with high immigrant populations). So, let's generously say they managed to get 0.6% of votes. Which is obviously ridiculous, because not all the people from the Indian subcontient took British citizenship, and not all of them will vote Labour. But let's just pretend that they did for the sake of your argument.

So, the Labour Party has managed to import 0.6% of people who'll support them come hell or high water in a decade.

But at the cost of losing at least 5x that in terms of Labour losses to UKIP, and presumably some similar number to the Conservative Party.

You are simultaneously accusing the Labour Party of being very clever, and very stupid.

Why one is it?

The foreign born population of the UK has risen from about 7% in the 1990s to about 12% today, an increase of 5%. I would guess about 60% of that has come from developing nations, so about 3% increase. Given how difficult it has apparently been for the Tories to reverse that, that's likely to be a permanent shift. By 2027, that will be a tenth of the population. Add a second generation to that, which might be another 5% or so. And that's with straight line growth - it might well be exponential, as more Nigerian Britons or Pakistani Britons here will have connections back home and will bring in more foreign husbands and wives.

Now it's true that UKIP might mean this whole thing combusts on them, but we've yet to see how long UKIP will last for. But Labour never imagined UKIP would happen. And now that it has, they're ambivalent about it. Working class whites have social conservatism and have been a difficult part of the coalition. Far better to replace them with people that stay with you come hell or high water. At least that's the current thinking. Maybe you're right and Labour will come to see how they are destroying their own voting coalition by supporting opening immigration up. But the penny hasn't dropped yet.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates:

Why one is it?

Er, I haven't many inner-city constituencies turning Tory in the last decade. In fact, I've noticed suburban constituencies turning Labour.

You analysis seems to have completely ignored internal migration e.g. 'White Flight' and the fact that immigrants have children. Lots of children. We're seeing this in the school rolls.

Furthermore, you have completely ignored clan and religious loyalties, which are far more durable than political allegiances.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

As it is now past midnight, I feel this thread needs me to wish Julius Caesar a happy birthday as he was born on this day in 100BC.

Does this take into account changes in the calendar in the intervening time?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,782
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

You'll be saying Jesus wasn't born on December 25 next.......
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    Interesting article. To be honest I don't know what I think. I agree that we are dangerously focused on a rather narrow-range result, where a shrunken LibDem party still holds the balance. But I've been posting lists of possible vote-switching events for the last year and they've been passing with little effect. Not convinced that many of David's have the potential to shift lots of votes where a booming economy, the phone-hacking trial and many other things have had near-zilch impact. A reshuffle? Shrug.

One observation that others may be able to confirm or deny is that although the Tories are supposedly pursuing a 40-40 strategy (40 defences and 40 potential gains) they are mainly playing defence. Colleagues with marginal Labour seats say they're not seeing much Conservative activity, beyond the usual direct mails and phone canvassing. In the Tory defence seats we're at least seeing the MP pitching away, but the Tory PPCs much less so. If that's right, then the actual likely range may be from "Con largest party" to "Labour overall majority", with "Con majority" out of reach.

Good luck with the job, ToryJim - with two interviews you're clearly at least in the frame.

Socrates - like others before you, you've seized on one quote by someone who used to be a Labour adviser on something he thinks he sensed, because it fits your theory. FWIW I've been active in the party for decades, and I've never heard anyone express a similar view. The "primary purpose" rule was felt by many to take an unfairly suspicious view of immigrant marriages, and we got rid of it for that reason. You could say that we were more alive to the issue because we have a fair number of immigrant members who raised it, but the idea that we were somehow importing potential voters didn't come into it at all. As for Eastern European immigrants, my impression is that if they vote (and most recent immgrants do not) they're more likely to vote Tory than Brits in similar occupations..

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,355
    There'll probably be more NI MPs than LibDems :)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

The foreign born population of the UK has risen from about 7% in the 1990s to about 12% today, an increase of 5%. I would guess about 60% of that has come from developing nations, so about 3% increase. Given how difficult it has apparently been for the Tories to reverse that, that's likely to be a permanent shift. By 2027, that will be a tenth of the population. Add a second generation to that, which might be another 5% or so. And that's with straight line growth - it might well be exponential, as more Nigerian Britons or Pakistani Britons here will have connections back home and will bring in more foreign husbands and wives.

Now it's true that UKIP might mean this whole thing combusts on them, but we've yet to see how long UKIP will last for. But Labour never imagined UKIP would happen. And now that it has, they're ambivalent about it. Working class whites have social conservatism and have been a difficult part of the coalition. Far better to replace them with people that stay with you come hell or high water. At least that's the current thinking. Maybe you're right and Labour will come to see how they are destroying their own voting coalition by supporting opening immigration up. But the penny hasn't dropped yet.

Most of the increase is EU citizens though, right? Most of whom see no advantage to becoming British even when they could (like Mrs Farage). So, they can't vote in Westminster elections.

I'm sorry, Socrates, I know a great many people from the left hand side of the political spectrum (like Nick Palmer of the parish). I don't think a single minute of his day as an MP was spent thinking about how to gerrymander the voting system on a 30 year view by importing votes. Either the people I know are victims of a great conspiracy perpetrated by people like Mandelson and Blair (unlikely), or they are consummate liars (equally unlikely).

My experience is that politicians care about their own immediate electoral prospects, not their succesors. For this reason, it simply fails Occam's Razor.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

I'm going by Wikipedia and assuming that someone is anal enough to have ensured the date is correct ;)
  • Options

Socrates - like others before you, you've seized on one quote by someone who used to be a Labour adviser on something he thinks he sensed, because it fits your theory. FWIW I've been active in the party for decades, and I've never heard anyone express a similar view. The "primary purpose" rule was felt by many to take an unfairly suspicious view of immigrant marriages, and we got rid of it for that reason. You could say that we were more alive to the issue because we have a fair number of immigrant members who raised it, but the idea that we were somehow importing potential voters didn't come into it at all. As for Eastern European immigrants, my impression is that if they vote (and most recent immgrants do not) they're more likely to vote Tory than Brits in similar occupations..

Obviously it's the sort of thing that isn't going to be spoken widely. Neather openly admitted the Labour party was very hush-hush about it, because they knew it would go down horrible with the white working class base. With all respect, I don't think you were ever senior enough to be in that inner circle where it was discussed. If you felt the primary purpose rule was unfair in its application, you could have modified the application, but you entirely scrapped it. There was also a whole bunch of other changes Labour made. The takeoff in immigration from the late 1990s onwards is very evident. I don't think it was purely about importing voters, but I think there was a wider left wing mentality to believe that white British society was stale, fuddy duddy and reactionary, and that immigration could change all that. In that sense it was definitely a plan to change the face and outlook of this nation.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    Cheeky sods at Bet Victor have declared my Falcao Top scorer bet a loser rather than void !

I'd be upset if I hadn't made so much money from them on the horses.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

@Socrates:

Why one is it?

Er, I haven't many inner-city constituencies turning Tory in the last decade. In fact, I've noticed suburban constituencies turning Labour.

You analysis seems to have completely ignored internal migration e.g. 'White Flight' and the fact that immigrants have children. Lots of children. We're seeing this in the school rolls.

Furthermore, you have completely ignored clan and religious loyalties, which are far more durable than political allegiances.
    My goodness: are my children going to inherit my voting patterns? How wonderful that that passes down through the DNA.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

@Socrates:

Why one is it?

My goodness: are my children going to inherit my voting patterns? How wonderful that that passes down through the DNA.
    And surely white flight to more marginal constituencies harms Labour?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Yet all the evidence suggests that ethnic minorities do inherit the voting patterns of their parents. It's not DNA, it's being brought up in a culture where you're told you're a marginalised group and that you need to vote left-wing to protect you from rich, white people.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Headline in the Sunil:

Lady's Butler Sloshed!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Yet all the evidence suggests that ethnic minorities do inherit the voting patterns of their parents.
    Such as?

You seem to have it in for us South Asians don't you?!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Yet all the evidence suggests that ethnic minorities do inherit the voting patterns of their parents. It's not DNA, it's being brought up in a culture where you're told you're a marginalised group and that you need to vote left-wing to protect you from rich, white people.
    Labour politicians, the only politicians in history to think more of their successors' successors than whether they get re-elected next May.

Also, doesn't this plan rely on these ethnic minority voters not noticing that the Labour Party is full of gay marriage loving atheists?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Most of the increase is EU citizens though, right?

No. Most immigration is non-EU and it has been consistently for the last 15 years. In addition, this is accentuated by the fact that EU citizens return home, while Philippinos and Sri Lankans do not.
    rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry, Socrates, I know a great many people from the left hand side of the political spectrum (like Nick Palmer of the parish). I don't think a single minute of his day as an MP was spent thinking about how to gerrymander the voting system on a 30 year view by importing votes. Either the people I know are victims of a great conspiracy perpetrated by people like Mandelson and Blair (unlikely), or they are consummate liars (equally unlikely).

My experience is that politicians care about their own immediate electoral prospects, not their succesors. For this reason, it simply fails Occam's Razor.

I don't think it was thought about purely in terms of electoral success. But I think there was a general philosophy of thinking immigrants were more open to "our way of thinking" while white British people are too influenced by what they consider knee-jerk conservatism, the Murdoch press and nationalism to understand what's really good for them. With enough immigration, they reasoned, they could change that.
  • Options

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Yet all the evidence suggests that ethnic minorities do inherit the voting patterns of their parents.
    Such as?

No, Sunil, I really do not. I bring up South Asians more than other groups because they are the lion's share of immigrants from the developing world. I go to efforts to change the countries I use in my examples so as not to pick on any particular group. As I have said on many occasions, people from any background, creed or colour that integrate into British society I regard as as British as I am.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Remind me, have South Asians become more or less Conservative over the years? According to your theory, they should have become more Conservative as they adopt British ways.

Amazing how when a constituency becomes more Asian it turns from Conservative to Labour, usually permanently.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

I'm going by Wikipedia and assuming that someone is anal enough to have ensured the date is correct ;)
    Are you taking into account the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendars in 1752?

:)
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Remind me, have South Asians become more or less Conservative over the years? According to your theory, they should have become more Conservative as they adopt British ways.

Amazing how when a constituency becomes more Asian it turns from Conservative to Labour, usually permanently.
    Do you know any real people, or only stereotypes?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    Socrates said:

Socrates, it was me.

But you have a few bits wrong.

I was not referring to the Electoral Commission but to OfCom who set the rules for all UK broadcasters except the BBC, whose rules are set by the BBC Trust. OfCom is subject to rules established by the Electoral Commission. The EC also participates (or is invited to participate) in OfCom's formal consultation exercises.

The 10% polling level is not a formal benchmark but a de facto guide which can be deduced from the stated workings and past decisions of OfCom. It is also one of a number of measures taken by OfCom in reaching its decision. Voting shares in the previous election of the same type appears to be the major consideration.

A further point to note is that a decision on whether a party qualifies as a "major party" does require broadcasters to include that party in any national leadership debates. They are separate decisions although the "major party" ruling would be taken into account in making the decision on debate participation.

So I don't think it right to conclude from OfCom's statements on the GE and its report and consultation documents on the EP decision, that UKIP would automatically be granted "major party" status if it had been recently polling more than 10% of VI at the time the decision is taken. Nor that UKIP would automatically be included in the leadership debates if OfCom granted the party major status for the General Election.

What can be concluded is that a VI polling share of 10% plus would add weight to the case that UKIP should be granted major party status, and, if so granted, major party status would add weight to the party's claim to be included in the leadership debates. Conversely, if UKIP are polling below 10% at the time the decision is made (October 2014 is the suggested time) then their case to be granted major party status would be significantly weakened.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Such as?

No, Sunil, I really do not. I bring up South Asians more than other groups because they are the lion's share of immigrants from the developing world. I go to efforts to change the countries I use in my examples so as not to pick on any particular group. As I have said on many occasions, people from any background, creed or colour that integrate into British society I regard as as British as I am.
    But only 69,000 in 2012 out of 479,000.
  • Options
    ".@SimonDanczuk tells @thetimes that Butler-Sloss's position seems untenable after latest revelations"

twitter.com/TimesCrime/status/487733616651149312
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan

You asked for evidence for my statement. I can't find the place I originally found numbers, but here is a quote from an academic study on ethnic minority engagement in voting:

"In other contexts (for example, with party identification and civic duty) there appear to be no systematic age or generation effects at all."

http://www.sociology.ox.ac.uk/documents/epop/papers/EM_pol_integration_EPOP2012.pdf
  • Options
    The general election campaign begins in 38 weeks' time, assuming a 4 week campaign.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@Sunil_Prasannan

You asked for evidence for my statement. I can't find the place I originally found numbers, but here is a quote from an academic study on ethnic minority engagement in voting:

"In other contexts (for example, with party identification and civic duty) there appear to be no systematic age or generation effects at all."

http://www.sociology.ox.ac.uk/documents/epop/papers/EM_pol_integration_EPOP2012.pdf

Rubbish, their parents' generation would have voted Congress/Muslim League/BNP*, not Labour!

*As in Bangladesh Nationalist Party :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Labour politicians, the only politicians in history to think more of their successors' successors than whether they get re-elected next May.

Also, doesn't this plan rely on these ethnic minority voters not noticing that the Labour Party is full of gay marriage loving atheists?
    Which astutely avoid confronting them at every opportunity e.g. schools, rape gangs, immigration etc. No wonder they don't notice.

And have you noticed it's a gay Tory complaining about the result in Tower Hamlets rather than Labour? It was as if the Tories were cheated of the mayoralty.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

In 2012, the countries of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal accounted for 40% of the settlement grants to the UK.
  • Options

Socrates said:

@Sunil_Prasannan

Rubbish, their parents' generation would have voted Congress/Muslim League/BNP*, not Labour!

:D

On a serious note, I do hope I haven't offended you Sunil. I know there are people from ethnic minorities on this board and the ones I know of, including yourself, are very decent people. I do my best to go out my way not to criticise individual immigrants or their descendants and always try to focus on aggregate issues. However, I'm aware it's a sensitive topic and it's easy to say something that can be misconstrued. I'm always happy to clarify my meaning if challenged.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Baroness Butler-Sloss contested Vauxhall for the Tories in 1959 at the age of 26, polling 38%:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1950s
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Do you know any real people, or only stereotypes?
    Feel free to point out the constituencies that have simultaneously become more Asian and Conservative.

And here's a quotation to digest:
    Look at how people from different backgrounds voted at the last election. Labour enjoyed colossal leads among every ethnic minority community. Even Indians, who are significantly less anti-Tory than other non-white groups, were four times as likely to vote for Gordon Brown as for David Cameron.
    telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10811119/General-election-2015-Look-whos-not-voting-Tory.html
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I just discovered this very cool Youtube channel by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgRvm1yLFoaQKhmaTqXk9SA
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    One thing we do know is this:

"Labour wanted mass immigration to make UK more multicultural, says former adviser

Labour threw open Britain's borders to mass immigration to help socially engineer a "truly multicultural" country, a former Government adviser has revealed.

The huge increases in migrants over the last decade were partly due to a politically motivated attempt by ministers to radically change the country and "rub the Right's nose in diversity", according to Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, Jack Straw and David Blunkett.

He said Labour's relaxation of controls was a deliberate plan to "open up the UK to mass migration" but that ministers were nervous and reluctant to discuss such a move publicly for fear it would alienate its "core working class vote".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html
  • Options
    Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

In 2012, the countries of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal accounted for 40% of the settlement grants to the UK.
    They are all Commonwealth countries aside Nepal, but Nepal has the historic Gurkha link (having said that, it's easy to forget that the majority of Gurkha regiments went to (and still are) part of independent India's army).
  • Options
    Here's a bit from Andrew Sullivan that's also very good, particularly those on the right who are flippant about inequality:

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/07/11/ask-me-anything-the-perils-of-inequality/
  • Options

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

They are all Commonwealth countries aside Nepal, but Nepal has the historic Gurkha link (having said that, it's easy to forget that the majority of Gurkha regiments went to (and still are) part of independent India's army).
    Yes, I agree there are good historic reasons for it. They're also the only big parts of the Commonwealth that follow different religions to the UK, which also reduces integration, as people tend to marry along religious lines.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

@Sunil_Prasannan

:D

On a serious note, I do hope I haven't offended you Sunil. I know there are people from ethnic minorities on this board and the ones I know of, including yourself, are very decent people. I do my best to go out my way not to criticise individual immigrants or their descendants and always try to focus on aggregate issues. However, I'm aware it's a sensitive topic and it's easy to say something that can be misconstrued. I'm always happy to clarify my meaning if challenged.
    Don't worry, I haven't been offended, thanks anyway! My recently implanted Tebbit Chip will ensure loyalty to the England Cricket team this summer :)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    On topic, the thing about surprises is that they're surprising, so I think it's going to be hard to think of the relevant ones. Underwater coastal shelf collapses producing huge tsunami, David Cameron makes a rousing speech from the back of a large porpoise. Who knows?

A better approach is just to look at how often they happen over a given period of time, and the markets do seem to be doing OK there: They're pricing in the conflicting force acting against the Lab Maj of a slowly diminishing lead and the opposite force of a slowly diminishing time remaining for something to happen.

If anything I think they may actually be underestimating the case for things staying as they are and Labour getting a majority despite the voters not thinking they're very good.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Here's a bit from Andrew Sullivan that's also very good, particularly those on the right who are flippant about inequality:

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/07/11/ask-me-anything-the-perils-of-inequality/

That reminds me a bit of one of SeanT's blogs:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100271944/the-grotesque-inequality-in-thailand-makes-me-worry-for-the-first-time-about-the-future-of-capitalism/
  • Options
    Politicians dancing to Banarama in 1988, including Cyril Smith and Geoffrey Dickens:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29HX0I46sQ&amp
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited July 2014
    AndyJS said:

Politicians dancing to Banarama in 1988, including Cyril Smith and Geoffrey Dickens:

Not at all sinister - particularly Cyril's shades. He never liked doing boys in bright sunlight. He was funny like that.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

BBC4 programme on "banned" songs right now.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited July 2014
    AndyJS said:

Also nice to see that brief window when the spazzers were known as 'democrats'
    Only Cyril prepared to do it, must have been paid in pre pubescents. Probably in imperial measure
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Sounds interesting.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Sounds interesting.
    The first programme has just ended, but another actually has a playlist just started.
  • Options
    I wonder if Blasphemous Rumours will get a mention.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    AndyJS said:

I have just skim read the "Historic Cases Review of Roy Cotton and Colin Pritchard" report and addendum by Elizabeth Butler-Sloss carried out on behalf of the Bishop of Chichester in 2011.

It is clear from the report and its terms of reference that EB-S's task was to review the previous handling of a specific case and make recommendations on how future cases should be handled by the diocese and Church. Her review was not required nor authorised to investigate or decide on any allegations of abuse outside the terms of reference of the review.

I have been asked by the Bishop of Chichester to look at the cases of two priests serving in the diocese who were the subject of historic child abuse allegations. I have also been asked to make my own recommendations about the current child protection policy and process in the Diocese. My terms of reference are in an appendix to my review.

I have had some difficulty in assessing the reliability of recollected information and have found a lack of detailed record keeping which may lead to some inaccuracies in my account of events. I shall refer only to those facts which I consider relevant to my task of review.

It would therefore have been outside her remit to include any new allegations against additional persons in her report. Her decision to refer Phil Johnson's allegations against an unnamed bishop in a letter to the Archbishop of Canterbury and not to refer to them in the body of the report was quite correct.

The language used by EB-S and the recommendations she makes in her report are also totally at odds with Phil Johnson's recollection of how she responded to his concerns on the exclusion of a reference to the bishop at his private meeting with her in the House of Lords.

[to be continued]

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @AndyJS

Elizabeth Butler-Sloss: Part II

Particular note should be made of the following report recommendations:

9.13 There should be careful and meticulous record keeping both of issues of safeguarding and general personnel matters. All relevant information should be kept in two files, the Blue File held at the Palace and the Safeguarding File held by the DSA with cross‐referencing of important information held in one of the two files.

9.16 Adult victims disclosing abuse as a child should be treated with respect and compassion; their allegations treated seriously; they should not be seen as accusers or as problems and they should be kept informed of the progress of any investigation.

9.17 Victims should be offered counselling and support and, where appropriate, funding for therapy. There should be no automatic time limit on engagement with any individual victim, since the impact of childhood abuse can be lifelong.

9.18 Letters to individual victims should be addressed and signed personally and, where appropriate, apologies should be made to the victims.

If there is a case to be made against Dame Elizabeth-Sloss being Chairman of the Inquiry, it lies in her age and connections to Sir Michael Havers and not her handling of the Chichester Inquiry.
  • Options

Amazing production on that song. Difficult to believe it's as old as it is.
  • Options
    It's difficult to believe the BBC banned Bing Crosby's I'll Be Home For Christmas for being subversive.
  • Options
    Great video - Depeche Mode with Shake The Disease from 1985:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTGbfbttJys
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    AveryLP said:

If there is a case to be made against Dame Elizabeth-Sloss being Chairman of the Inquiry, it lies in her age and connections to Sir Michael Havers and not her handling of the Chichester Inquiry.

I think it's the allegations of what she (may have) told the victim, rather than details of the report/referral (or lack thereof), that are really critical here. Might be complete tittle-tattle, of course, but it has the wrong smell if this is meant to be the definitive, overarching inquiry.

My first thought on seeing the story, was that it would be quite a convenient way of removing her regardless of how much meat is in it. I was very surprised by the initial appointment due to age and the Havers connection, rather than a question of competence. I'd be even more surprised if neither she nor the government have had no second thoughts since.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Amazing production on that song. Difficult to believe it's as old as it is.
    It didn't get a mention on BBC4, but I read it was on the BBC banned list. Shake the Disease definitely marked a darker direction for Depeche.

Actually one of the more interesting factoids they mentioned in the programme was that "Screaming" Lord Sutch first stood for election in 1963 for the "National Teenage Party"!
  • Options

AveryLP said:

I think it's the allegations of what she (may have) told the victim, rather than details of the report/referral (or lack thereof), that are really critical here. Might be complete tittle-tattle, of course, but it has the wrong smell if this is meant to be the definitive, overarching inquiry.

My first thought on seeing the story, was that it would be quite a convenient way of removing her regardless of how much meat is in it. I was very surprised by the initial appointment due to age and the Havers connection, rather than a question of competence. I'd be even more surprised if neither she nor the government have had no second thoughts since.
    MBE

Am now reading through the full Chichester Report and gaining an impression of the issues, characters and relationships involved.

The abuser of Phil Johnson, Roy Cotton, had been an ordinand in training. In 1954, he was convicted in Abingdon Magistrates Court of indecent assault on a child. He was 25 at the time and it was a first offence. He was placed on probation for a year. He was also dismissed from his theological college.

There was very limited documentation on the nature of his offence and a record of his conviction by the Church was only maintained in a single file ("blue file") held at the Bishop's palace in the diocese in which he (much later) became a priest. What is known is that was connected with the Boy Scouts and that the Scout Movement's record at the time concluded he was “a person who may have no further connection whatsoever with the Movement.”

A subsequent incident, about which little is known, occured at the Prep School in 1966. It led to Cotton's dismissal but was not investigated further.

In the same year, Cotton resumed his theological training and became ordained as a priest in December. Cotton became a priest in the Portsmouth diocese and by 1969 was granted a Leader Permit by the local Scouts Committee.

Cotton was being considered for a parish in the diocese of Chichester in May 1971 and letters were exchanged about his suitability between the Bishops of Portsmouth and Chichester.

The BpP wrote that he could "wholeheartedly recommend him" and referred to the conviction in 1954 as "indecent exposure in front of boys". He also stated "I am clear in my own mind that Roy was more sinned against than sinning – there has been no sign of trouble whatsoever". BpP also wrote to the patron of the parish of Harting that "the charge against him in 1953 has, I believe, been proved a false one. He pleaded guilty at the time to spare the boys concerned having to appear in court. There has been no breath of suspicion of trouble since".

[to be cont.]
  • Options
    @MyBurningEars

[continued]

In 1997, Roy Cotton was arrested by police on suspicion of abusing Phil Johnson, his brother (and others) between 1976 and 1983 when they victims were minors on holiday (I assume through the Scouts) and Cotton was a vicar of an Eastbourne Church. In March 1999, the Police informed both the victims and the Church that they had decided not to proceed further with the allegations.

The main brief for Butler-Sloss was to review the way in which the diocese handled events subsequent to the 1997 police arrest and to make recommendations on changes in policies and procedures for the future. Although not formally part of the terms of reference, the back history of Cotton and the extent to which it was known or should have been known was covered in the review.

The next post will be direct quotation from EB-S's report and should make sense in the context of the above background.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @MyBurningEars

The extract from the report:

PJ [Phil Johnson, one of the victims] however told me that at a meeting he had with WB [Wallace Benn, Bishop of Lewes] and SH [Shirley Hosgood, former Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Chichester] on the 26th August 2008 WB said that NR [The Bishop of Blackburn (formerly Archdeacon Nicholas Reade)] had told him 1998 or 1999 about the 1954 conviction.

PJ appears to have tape-recorded the 26th August meeting and I have a partial transcript in which WB said “I had a long conversation with my Archdeacon at the time, Nicholas Reid (Reade) …… When I had that conversation with Nicholas he told me out of the conversation (to SH).. I haven’t told you this before .. it has only just come back to my memory .. he told me out of those conversations that he.. that there had been a previous conviction, way back in the 70s (50s). Which I did not know about”.

And later in the conversation “and when Nicholas told me that which had come out of the conversation with Roy, I was horrified and all the more determined that we were going to actually get him into retirement which is what we did, because we thought it was the safest thing that could be done.”

NR told me that, if he had known about the conviction, “I would have advised Bishop Wallace that we had somebody with a serious history, and we should therefore view his present situation in that light.”

I consider it is most unlikely that either WB or NR did have knowledge of the 1954 conviction because, in my view, it was almost certain that the fact of the conviction would have been brought up at senior staff meetings when the position of RC [Roy Cotton, one the abusers] was discussed. Since WB considered RC to be a villain, the knowledge of the conviction, would, it seems to me, have spurred him on to urge EC [Eric Kemp, Bishop of Chichester until 2001] to take action to suspend RC or suspend him himself.

[to be continued]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @MyBurningEars

Continued extract from report:

In this partial transcript of the tape (I have a copy of the tape) WB gave PJ incorrect information on the 26th August. WB told me that he should have said ‘accusation’ or ‘incident’ and not conviction. He also told me that by 2008 he had known about and thought about the conviction for 7 years and had become muddled. He also said that, if he had known about the conviction he would have taken action against RC.

After the 26th August meeting PJ wrote a letter thanking WB for the meeting and saying that his criticisms of the Church and Diocese were not aimed at WB. He did not raise any concerns at that time. At a later stage, PJ has been critical of WB for his failure to act on the knowledge of the conviction and his granting a PTO [Permission to Officiate] to RC after, as he said, he had pressured RC into retirement. I deal below with the grant of the PTO. It was, however, unfortunate that WB used the word ‘conviction’ at the August meeting because it has given PJ an erroneous impression of the facts and a belief that WB should have acted upon the knowledge of the 1954 conviction in 1998/9. That erroneous impression has to a great extent coloured the picture of those events for PJ. It has undoubtedly added to the stress suffered by PJ who was not only the victim of appalling treatment at the hands of one priest but now believes that he was not given a true account by the Bishop.
    [My emphasis].
  • Options
    @MyBurningEars

Apart from applying emphasis to the conclusion of the quoted section of the report, I am reluctant to add further comment as the tone and content of the passage stands as a possible explanation of why Phil Johnson, through The Times, is calling for EB-S to stand down as Chairman of the Inquiry into institutional handling of historic child abuse allegations.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited July 2014
    To me the betting value is with a Labour majority. I see most of David H's potential surprises working in Labours favour, and we start from a position where the polls indicate a Labour majority.

It is possible to find a handful of Tory gains (mostly from LD) but hard to find a Labour held seat that is likely to go Tory. There are quite a few Tory marginals likely to go the other way.

The Miliband factor is priced in, and he can only surprise on the upside
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    I agree with you, David. If the economy continues to improve, so do the Tories' chances - even if that improvement hasn't filtered through into pay packets, it will (wrongly, in my view) be expected to at some point. I say wrongly because I believe we are seeing a secular shift from western labour to capital and/or eastern labour - that is to say, western labour no longer has a monopoly on education. (Think about the last few phone calls you had from sales and marketing people. Where do you think they were calling from?)

On the other hand, Labour should be pushing for the bankruptcy of (most) of our hospital Trusts to be publicised. People know that waiting lists are becoming longer, faster, than at any time since the NHS was created. Unfortunately for its electoral chances, there's a good reason why Labour isn't keen to do this. It hasn't got an answer. And if people think that the politicians can't organise a health care system (which is basically true for those of us over 60 or even 50 who don't have health insurance from way back) that will have implications for turn-out.

I expect the Tories to get round about 300-320 seats. They will then run a minority government whose principal function will be to redistribute seats so that at a further election the year after next they can achieve a working majority.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

To me the betting value is with a Labour majority. I see most of David H's potential surprises working in Labours favour,

Wasn't Kinnock priced in ?

Ed as PM will not have full effect until much closer to the GE.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

To me the betting value is with a Labour majority. I see most of David H's potential surprises working in Labours favour,

I take your point, and there are always going to be uncertainties, but this is not a rerun of 1992. In 92 there was a new face leading the Tories and with a certain Pooteresque charm.

I think In the 2010 debates that Brown came over better than expected and that Miliband will do the same in 2015. The setting of a debate plays in Milibands comfort zone of discussion of political issues by a small group of interested parties. He falls flat on man of the people photo calls but a debate is home turf. Cameron can be overbearing in such situations. Clegg is likely to try to be equidistant by differentiating himself from David. Farage clearly loathes Cameron (and vice versa) and will focus his fire there. Endless raising of Europe as an issue will also help Labour.

The Economic signals are a bit wobbly at present, with a lot of Eurozone uncertainty as well as the ongoing mid east crises. Any slowing down of our own economy is likely to help Ed.

The SNP vote is likely to drop after No win, with Labour the most likely beneficiary.

Labour majority looks more likely to me than other options.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

To me the betting value is with a Labour majority. I see most of David H's potential surprises working in Labours favour, and we start from a position where the polls indicate a Labour majority.

It is possible to find a handful of Tory gains (mostly from LD) but hard to find a Labour held seat that is likely to go Tory. There are quite a few Tory marginals likely to go the other way.

You think 3 weeks or more of Ed on the telly will help Labour? Ed can have a disastrous campaign just as much as a good one. We know he is crap.. there are all sorts of states of crap
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    TGOHF said:

If the Tories changed their leader for an unknown that would make a difference. Part of the problem is that all the leaders have been around for a while now.
  • Options
    I should also add that black swan events (such as paedogeddon), Economic or stockmarket crashes or a foreign policy crisis are much more likely to damage government (unless the handling is virtuoso) than to help government.

Such events are much more likely to hurt and split governments than oppositions.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    TGOHF said:

Didn't you say the same about Gordon Brown as PM? Why haven't you learnt from the absence of the so-called "Brown epiphany"?
  • Options

You think 3 weeks or more of Ed on the telly will help Labour? Ed can have a disastrous campaign just as much as a good one. We know he is crap.. there are all sorts of states of crap
    I can understand why a lot of right wingers loathe Ed, but they should not fall into the fallacy of assuming others think the same.

Ed is a canny operator, and at home in the debating meme which he was brought up on. He has an instinctive ability at machine politics, and political tactics. It is a mistake to underestimate him. He is better at set pieces with longer times than with soundbites and staged photocalls.

I am not saying that he will be a good PM, but I do think that he is mistakenly underestimated by many on here.

This discussion has been closed.