Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Conservatives do lose power next May they’d be fooli

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Conservatives do lose power next May they’d be foolish to get rid of Cameron

Farage has said he’ll stand down if his party fails to get an MP and it is hard to see Clegg being able to carry on if the election resin the disaster being predicted by the polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JackW 1:7 Mrs JackW

Record defeat !!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Good morning Jack. As I predicted at half time last night Germany would win.
  • Options

Good morning Jack. As I predicted at half time last night Germany would win.

I don't know how you do it Mike .... it must a mixture of the rarefied air in Bedford and an intimate knowledge of poor football teams beginning with a "B".

Titter ....

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    In 2015 Cameron were to remain as leader he would have been leader for more than eight years, and a five year parliament would take him to 13. This would be longer than Mrs Thatcher or Ted Heath, the longest term in recent times. I cannot see it happening if he lost and it may not be tenable even with victory. There would be a need for fresh blòod and a fresh approach.

It also seems likely that the winning candidate would be one with similar views on europe, so the Tories naval gazing infighting over europe carries on. They never learn.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    The man in grey suits are particularly effective in the Tory party and as history has confirmed, well practiced in the use of stilettos. After all, in Westminster, you are more afraid of the people behind you than those in front.

It has long been considered that the Tories are more interested in power rather than governance, and a loser, is a loser and long live the new leader.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    BoJo's not on that list...
  • Options
    Given the latest polling figures for GE 2015, Betfair's 1.93 for Labour Most Seats is looking like great value, but DYOR.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Notable that Labour is ranked higher than either Milliband or Balls, but both Cameron and Osborne are higher than their party. UKIP and LD’s are both higher than their leaders.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Boris is not an MP and not even on the approved candidates list.

The choices in the poll were, I assume, determined by Lord Ashcroft

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Mourinho sold David Luiz for £50m. This surely must be reported to the police !
  • Options

...he wouldn't have his own agenda, by any chance, would he?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Has the Tory Party ever split?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    If Cameron loses he will not need to be pushed out, he will go at a time of the party's convenience. Whether this means hanging on until Boris is eligible or rushing on while he isn't is about the only decision to make.

I was trying to think of a scenario where he might hang on. Maybe a minority Labour administration that might collapse at any minute so the tories did not want the distraction of a leadership campaign? It is looking increasingly unlikely that that scenario will trouble the tories or indeed Labour.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

In 2015 Cameron were to remain as leader he would have been leader for more than eight years, and a five year parliament would take him to 13. This would be longer than Mrs Thatcher or Ted Heath, the longest term in recent times. I cannot see it happening if he lost and it may not be tenable even with victory. There would be a need for fresh blòod and a fresh approach.

It also seems likely that the winning candidate would be one with similar views on europe, so the Tories naval gazing infighting over europe carries on. They never learn.

Actually, Cameron will have been leader for 9.5 years by the time of the election. Were he to serve through another term in opposition and then into at least midterm as PM (as presumably would be the plan if he stayed on), he'd have been leader by that point (2022/3) for longer than any leader of the three main parties bar Attlee since parties developed permanent leaders in the 1920s.

Cameron is an asset as PM; he was an asset as a new or relatively new Leader of the Opposition; I'm far from convinced he'd be an asset as LotO after losing power - the simple fact is that ex-PM's who stay on have a different relationship with their backbenches, parties and shadow ministers than newly elected ones, and that would feed through to public consciousness. "Didn't beat Brown, didn't beat Miliband" would be a hard tag to shake off, even if it was unfair.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

Boris may be an MP after 2015 and even if not, I very much doubt that if there was a sufficient pro-Boris groundswell of opinion in the party, the rules as they are would prevent him from running. In all probability, the rules would be changed. Likewise, against a Miliband government, Boris could easily be found a seat if elected leader.

The Conservative Party can be very flexible in adapting to the situation when it comes to retaining or achieving power.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    On topic: agreed.

However, the frothers will install a rightwing eurosceptic rather than a liberal phile like Cam and put themselves further from power. That would be my guess anyway.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    If the Tories somehow contrive to lose next year - despite being up against EdM and presiding over an improving economy - Cameron will resign. The subsequent civil war will be something to behold.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    BobaFett said:

On topic: agreed.

However, the frothers will install a rightwing eurosceptic rather than a liberal phile like Cam and put themselves further from power. That would be my guess anyway.

And mine. It'll be brutal and entirely destructive.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2014
    "Farage has said he’ll stand down if his party fails to get an MP"

I don't think that's correct. As I recall Mr Farage said he'd stand down if UKIP did not win the EU Parliament elections, _and_ UKIP didn't win an MP, _and_ there wasn't a referendum.

(It was an interview question.)
  • Options

Boris may be an MP after 2015 and even if not, I very much doubt that if there was a sufficient pro-Boris groundswell of opinion in the party, the rules as they are would prevent him from running. In all probability, the rules would be changed. Likewise, against a Miliband government, Boris could easily be found a seat if elected leader.

The Conservative Party can be very flexible in adapting to the situation when it comes to retaining or achieving power.
    Indeed: the last time they were was to benefit an Earl who wanted not to be one.
  • Options
    Re: Cameron. He doesn't seem to have any goal to political life other than winning an election (there is no strategic plan being followed by the Conservatives that I am aware of), so I suspect he would jump rather than be pushed.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I notice that Ed's hardly been on TV for a week or two. Great tactical awareness by Labour and rewarded by a small increase in their poll share. They've finally got the message.

Can they arrange for him to disappear inside the Peruvian embassy for the GE campaign?
  • Options

Indeed: the last time they were was to benefit an Earl who wanted not to be one.
    Scottish peer to become Prime Minister has always sounded such a humble ambition ....

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,452
    I find it amusing this idea that narrowly losing next year will lead to Torygeddon. I'm not so sure myself. The reason the wheels came off after 1997 was that there was the space to do so. Nobody outside of Broadmoor thought th Tories could win in 2001 so the party could indulge in fratricidal navel gazing. That won't be the case if the worst happens next year. Even if Ed cobbles together a majority it will be small and the Tories will retain around 250 seats. The Lib Dems will have internal issues and There may be as many for UKIP too. I suspect that looking at that the Tory party may well conclude that it is no time to go wobbly. I think the conditions will discipline the response and ensure that the Tories remain united and effective.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Cam will stay.

If he doesn't then I would fear for the Tory party. There is no one, with the possible exception of Theresa, who could hold it all together. If they do go for a eurosceptic they will forever (ie two electoral cycles) be out of power.

Cam is often criticised for his namby-pambiness (mainly by fantasist right-wingers in the party). But in the end, I give him the benefit of the doubt, given his rescue of the nasty party up to but stopping short of an OM.

He is a schmoozer and can rally those of disparate views around a central direction of travel. That might have been a weakness in 2010, but will increasingly be seen as a strength, perhaps especially after a defeat. I really would despair if the Cons thought: well the central, consensual candidate was beaten, let's have an extremist.
  • Options

Re: Cameron. He doesn't seem to have any goal to political life other than winning an election (there is no strategic plan being followed by the Conservatives that I am aware of), so I suspect he would jump rather than be pushed.

Cameron is a classic Conservative of the type that (a brief interlude late Maggie and post Maggie excepted) has dominated the party throughout my life. He is driven by patriotism and a desire for his country to do well. "Well" means to be economically successful but also to be competently run, fair minded and generally decent.

Such a set of ideals does not sit very well with any strong ideology because ideologies are by their nature intolerant and intolerance is one of the things he is against. Those who are obsessed with an ideology or an obsession like Europe think this is weakness and that he really doesn't believe in anything. They are mistaken on both counts.
  • Options
    Edit (with new post):

of course if there is a Yes vote this year then he might well go as British politics will be in a tizzy and I don't necessarily expect the head of the Cons & Unionist Party to remain in place following the dissolution of the Union.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    DavidL said:

Cameron is a classic Conservative of the type that (a brief interlude late Maggie and post Maggie excepted) has dominated the party throughout my life. He is driven by patriotism and a desire for his country to do well. "Well" means to be economically successful but also to be competently run, fair minded and generally decent.

Such a set of ideals does not sit very well with any strong ideology because ideologies are by their nature intolerant and intolerance is one of the things he is against. Those who are obsessed with an ideology or an obsession like Europe think this is weakness and that he really doesn't believe in anything. They are mistaken on both counts.
    "He is driven by patriotism and a desire for his country to do well. "

That's not my impression.

If you don't have goals to aim for, you just react to events.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think the consensus for 1997-2010 was that we had too much government.

I can live with a small state-er.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Now is the time to bet on Argentina to win the World Cup. Germany's odds have shortened but they still have a mountain to climb. I've always rated the Argies as favourites. but they''ve gone and installed a stick of dynamiter in their own defence (Di Michellis).

They could still do it if Aguero is match-fit (and especially if Di Michellis is replaced).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

I think the consensus for 1997-2010 was that we had too much government.

I can live with a small state-er.
    So could I. Do you know of any in parliament?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Cameron stay if the Tories lose next year? He could try but wouldn't last a week
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Now is the time to bet on Argentina to win the World Cup. Germany's odds have shortened but they still have a mountain to climb. I've always rated the Argies as favourites. but they''ve gone and installed a stick of dynamiter in their own defence (Di Michellis).

They could still do it if Aguero is match-fit (and especially if Di Michellis is replaced).

Argentina v Netherlands - You need to wait until half-time when Mike Smithson will announce the winner.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Has the Tory Party ever split?

Yes

For about 20 years in the mid 19th century until the party reformed to the left and the Peelites returned home

Then the Ditchers tried to split off to the right but ultimately withered.

Now it's UKIP's turn.

But the lesson from history is the Tories are very successful when they occupy the centre right and right. But that a right-only party is not successful in the UK.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

It's better to compare Cameron with potential successors and the impact a change of leadership (whether with coronation or contest) would have on the party.

Ditching him now would be crackers. If he stays PM, he stays as leader, if he loses, he won't.

More interesting is what would happen to Miliband if Labour increased to, say, 290-300 seats and the Conservatives stood still. That would mark very significant progress for the reds, but they wouldn't be in power.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Yougov - Immigration & asylum moves into a 6 point lead on the economy.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Charles said:

But the lesson from history is the Tories are very successful when they occupy the centre right and right. But that a right-only party is not successful in the UK.

Mr Blair said of the Conservative Party:

"Their right isn’t like our left. They believe they can win from the right in a way Labour could never do from the left and they are correct in that."

http://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/viewer.html?doc=202593-doc27

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/8566997/Labour-coup-The-Ed-Balls-files-database-released.html
  • Options

Actually, Cameron will have been leader for 9.5 years by the time of the election. Were he to serve through another term in opposition and then into at least midterm as PM (as presumably would be the plan if he stayed on), he'd have been leader by that point (2022/3) for longer than any leader of the three main parties bar Attlee since parties developed permanent leaders in the 1920s.

Cameron is an asset as PM; he was an asset as a new or relatively new Leader of the Opposition; I'm far from convinced he'd be an asset as LotO after losing power - the simple fact is that ex-PM's who stay on have a different relationship with their backbenches, parties and shadow ministers than newly elected ones, and that would feed through to public consciousness. "Didn't beat Brown, didn't beat Miliband" would be a hard tag to shake off, even if it was unfair.
    All good things come to an end, and in the event of a defeat (and ceasing to be PM would have to be seen as defeat) Cameron would have to go and most likely fairly quickly. Indeed any of the leaders decisively defeated would have to go. The difficulty comes if the result is indecisive next May.

Another hung parliament would be interesting, but hard to have the LDs as kingmakers when they have just lost half their seats, so a minority government would probably emerge. This could probably not last 5 years. It would probably be best to replace the losing leader quickly so as to be ready for an election by autumn 2015.

Most likely we will have a Labour working majority though. The 35% strategy is likely to work and the Miliband effect is priced in already, with any surprises likely to be on the upside.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    edited July 2014
    DavidL said:

I know what you mean - my parents were both mostly Conservative because that's what they wanted. They were terminally put off by Maggie, and I'm not sure you can reasonably argue that either Howard or Hague fitted the model you describe.

Does Cameron? I'd accept that he's a tolerant man who wants the country to do well and basically sees himself as a team leader and coordinator with few views on what oughr to happen in the medium term. He allows more ideological people (Osborne on the size of the state, Gove on schools structure and even individual books, the 2010 health team on NHS restructuring, IDS on Universal Credit) to pursue their agendas, neither obviously encouraging or discouraging them except when they fight each other. Whether that's really good leadership is debatable: the weakness is that the overall sense is that we're going nowhere in particular but doing drastic things when a particular minister wants them. One can't accuse him of Blairite dominance, but it feels quite random.

Will he survive if he loses next year? I doubt it. There isn't really a substantial fan club beyond MPs thinking he's a winner. If he's not, then Tory MPs will feel there's not much left.
  • Options
    JackW said:

CD13 said:

Argentina v Netherlands - You need to wait until half-time when Mike Smithson will announce the winner.

Foxinsox jr forecast 3/4 of the semifinalist correctly before the first ball was kicked. He has Germany down as beating Argentina in the final 2:1 from early June.

The power of his subbutteo derived analysis is not yet reaching OGHs prescience of last nights half time though!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    edited July 2014
    Quite a poor day for UK economic statistics today. The BRC Shop Price Index worsened to -1.8% y-o-y, and house prices weakened more than expected to -0.6% m-o-m. This follows from yesterday's announcement that both UK industrial production and manufacturing production unexpectedly fell last month.

None of these are particularly important statistics, per se, and you should always be cautious about reading too much into single data points, but after a run of good economic data, we should be aware that the latest stats are not so encouraging.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited July 2014
    When will the Tories wake up to their impending defeat?

They could take stock of their predicament, or take comfort in Dan Hodges articles and the inevitable run of Tory Press anti-Miliband smears.

They'll inevitably take the latter course. Tories don't do hard decisions.
  • Options

JackW said:

CD13 said:

Foxinsox jr forecast 3/4 of the semifinalist correctly before the first ball was kicked. He has Germany down as beating Argentina in the final 2:1 from early June.

The power of his subbutteo derived analysis is not yet reaching OGHs prescience of last nights half time though!
    Slowly, surely, inexorably I'm tending, or should that be trending, to the view that there's something almost spiritual about OGH's keenly felt football half-time sermon !!

Do we have a prophet of profit from Bedford among us ?

• Options
    The fallacy in this argument is that the assumption that the Conservatives could not choose a leader who is more popular than Cameron. Was there extensive polling before the 2005 leadership contest which showed Cameron was better regarded than the party? Party leaders are judged on what they do as party leaders, and the Conservatives would be well advised to ditch the mediocrity currently in charge.

I see @NickPalmer is reviving the old Marxist tactic of accusing people he disagrees with of being "ideological". Can he identify any politician, at any time, who has not been "ideological"?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Cameron is leading a coalition of 2 parties so its natural for him to be more popular than just his party. Thus the popularity index does not apply.
    So results are what matter and Cameron has been a pretty moderate failure so far (never won an election, split the right, done some reforms but mostly resistant to change) but it is too early to say, when or if he loses the next election he is out.
    A failure is a failure.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    DavidL said:

If Cameron loses he will not need to be pushed out, he will go at a time of the party's convenience. Whether this means hanging on until Boris is eligible or rushing on while he isn't is about the only decision to make.

I was trying to think of a scenario where he might hang on. Maybe a minority Labour administration that might collapse at any minute so the tories did not want the distraction of a leadership campaign? It is looking increasingly unlikely that that scenario will trouble the tories or indeed Labour.

Replacing the duffer Cameron with the Buffoon Boris would highlight exactly how out of touch with reality the Toffs are.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    My great joy was substantially deflated last night when the Great European Triumph was diluted at the last minute when Brazil equalised to make it 7-1 instead of 8-0.

The important job of vanquishing the evil South American enemy is only half done; it must be completed this evening when Netherlands beat Argentina by at least 8-0. The irresponsible, aggressive and provocative sabre-rattling of President Kirchner of Argentina in relation to the Falkland Islands must be punished. Now that it is no longer fashionable in polite society to call for foreign leaders to be assassinated, let's hope that the equivalent punishment in the field of sport can be accomplished.

For the sake of Europe, for democracy, and for the liberty and self-determination of the Falkland Islanders, Netherlands must today beat Argentina 8-0. or 10-0. Or 15-0. If this is not done successfully, then Germany must massacre the Argentinian aggressors in the final by at least 27-0.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    I always think it is a mistake to install a new leader right at the start of the new parliament after a defeat, even more so now we have the Fixed Term.

Ed (as did Dave) will have done nearly 5 years as leader before the election. If he wins, after 5 years we will be bored of him, 10 years is enough for any leader, (the concept of 15 with a second term is ridiculous).

By getting the leadership early in the term Ed had this intractable problem, too much time to formulate policy. He wants to have a vibrant, fresh energetic and exciting policy platform to fight in 2015. It needs to be announced in late 2014 / early 2015, so he has had four years to present himself to us as a ditherer, a policy free zone, a blank sheet of paper. He has had ample time for inertia to set in and take hold, delay to become normal, because there is no need for progress, in fact progress to the policy goals is detrimental to the project in the early days.

Everything would be much more positive worked in a shorter time scale. Three years before the election, he is still fresh and new, his policies are visible in development, there is direction and focus, inertia will not be seen to set in.

It is also far more difficult for the incumbent government to adapt to a new team and opposition leader mid term, it gives them a fresh set of problems and personnel to cope with.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Quite a poor day for UK economic statistics today. The BRC Shop Price Index worsened to -1.8% y-o-y, and house prices weakened more than expected to -0.6% m-o-m. This follows from yesterday's announcement that both UK industrial production and manufacturing production unexpectedly fell last month.

None of these are particularly important statistics, per se, and you should always be cautious about reading too much into single data points, but after a run of good economic data, we should be aware that the latest stats are not so encouraging.

Yes, the cracks are beginning to show. And once momentum behind Osborne's "strategy" (read: run of luck) disappears, there's no way back.
  • Options
    BenM said:

I can't speak for them but I think the Tories might consider a date around May 2030 to be a reasonable timescale - 10 years in Coalition and then another 10 years as a majority government.

And just think another 16 years of winning half-time football tips from OGH before the Conservatives leave power .... what more could you possible want ?

• Options
    Speedy said:

Cameron is leading a coalition of 2 parties so its natural for him to be more popular than just his party. Thus the popularity index does not apply.

That sentence makes no logical sense.
  • Options
    JackW said:

BenM said:

I can't speak for them but I think the Tories might consider a date around May 2030 to be a reasonable timescale - 10 years in Coalition and then another 10 years as a majority government.

And just think another 16 years of winning half-time football tips from OGH before the Conservatives leave power .... what more could you possible want ?

May 2030?

20 years of Labour in government might just jolt Tories from their complacent slumber.

But I wouldn't guarantee it.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

That sentence makes no logical sense.
    I think the sentence is intelligible, but the conclusion could be open to debate.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Slightly concerning economic numbers coming out. Let's hope they are a blip rather than a trend.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited July 2014
    Experience tells me that if Cameron loses next year, it will be out of his hands as we Tories engage in Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing, again
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    If you ask people who like Cameron why they like him, they find it difficult to explain. From what I have found, people seem to go by his appearance, that because he generally looks very smart and speaks well, that he is somehow intelligent and a good PM. It is very odd !

So do other parties select their leader by whether they can wear a suit that fits them well and whether they have good communication skills.

Test this for yourself. Ask people with only a mild interest in politics if they like Cameron and if so, why do they like him.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    BobaFett said:

Slightly concerning economic numbers coming out. Let's hope they are a blip rather than a trend.

The house price index should be some relief to those convinced there's a housing bubble appearing.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

If you ask people who like Cameron why they like him, they find it difficult to explain. From what I have found, people seem to go by his appearance, that because he generally looks very smart and speaks well, that he is somehow intelligent and a good PM. It is very odd !

So do other parties select their leader by whether they can wear a suit that fits them well and whether they have good communication skills.

Test this for yourself. Ask people with only a mild interest in politics if they like Cameron and if so, why do they like him.

Two words - Tim Nice-but-competent
  • Options

The fallacy in this argument is that the assumption that the Conservatives could not choose a leader who is more popular than Cameron. Was there extensive polling before the 2005 leadership contest which showed Cameron was better regarded than the party? Party leaders are judged on what they do as party leaders, and the Conservatives would be well advised to ditch the mediocrity currently in charge.

I see @NickPalmer is reviving the old Marxist tactic of accusing people he disagrees with of being "ideological". Can he identify any politician, at any time, who has not been "ideological"?

Er, yes, if you READ the post you're replying to, you'll see I was identifying Cameron as not being ideological.

Sheesh.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    rcs1000 said:

Falling shop prices because of pricing action from the major supermarkets and slightly falling house prices are not really a big worry. Neither were yesterday's figures, a statistical phantom IMO. There is too much real world evidence in the UK economy elsewhere that shows decent production growth for the ONS figures to make sense. Next month the index will probably bounce back and in subsequent months both will be revised to show steady growth.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    DavidL said:

Spot-on. He is absolutely consistent with the main Conservative tradition, politicians such as R A Butler, Harold Macmillan, Willie Whitelaw.

Nonetheless, if Ed Miliband becomes PM, I would expect Cameron to pass the poisoned chalice to someone new. The party would need a new face. tim, late of this parish, used to point out that it would have been better for the Conservatives if Cameron had become leader closer to the election: that long period of opposition means you lose the novelty bounce, and now, with fixed terms, it is possible in theory to bide your time in a way which was very risky previously. Nonetheless I think Cameron would move on, perhaps leaving a reasonably long period for his successor to be selected.

Of course, we are far from there yet, and all the indications are that the election outcome may well be reasonably favourable for the Conservatives. We shall see.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    You know the claim from the government that, despite terrorism deaths being 1% of road deaths in the UK over the last ten years, there's a massive hidden threat from Islamic extremism, and as such we should submit to mass spying from the government?

Well, it's compeletely overblown according to the former head of MI6:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/07/islamist-terror-threat-out-proportion-former-mi6-chief-richard-dearlove
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Falling shop prices because of pricing action from the major supermarkets and slightly falling house prices are not really a big worry. Neither were yesterday's figures, a statistical phantom IMO. There is too much real world evidence in the UK economy elsewhere that shows decent production growth for the ONS figures to make sense. Next month the index will probably bounce back and in subsequent months both will be revised to show steady growth.
    I agree: I am just slightly correcting the tendency of somebody (who shall remain nameless) to only post positive UK economic statistics.
  • Options

Er, yes, if you READ the post you're replying to, you'll see I was identifying Cameron as not being ideological.

Sheesh.

So Cameron is not influenced by 'a system of ideas and ideals' (the OED definition)? A bizarre and absurd claim.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Sheesh.

So Cameron is not influenced by 'a system of ideas and ideals' (the OED definition)? A bizarre and absurd claim.
    I think the difference with Cam is he doesn't present as ideological, he leaves the rhetoric to IDS, Gove etc, and presents himself as a calm and measured leader, keeping his ideology quiet aside from the few occasions it needs an airing.
    People like him (those that do, anyway) because of this, and because he comes across as a decent bloke who has had some tough trials in his life, but is in place at the tiller, and is preferable to the other tiller-wannabes.
    He's good at presentation.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

DavidL said:

Indeed. It's one thing not to have an ideology. It's another to not really have any principles. Cameron seems not to be much of a thinker - he just absorbs the majority view from the circles around him, mainly wealthy business types and PR men, but also others like the police/security services on certain issues.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

You know the claim from the government that, despite terrorism deaths being 1% of road deaths in the UK over the last ten years, there's a massive hidden threat from Islamic extremism, and as such we should submit to mass spying from the government?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/07/islamist-terror-threat-out-proportion-former-mi6-chief-richard-dearlove

Agree 100%.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Does Cameron? I'd accept that he's a tolerant man who wants the country to do well and basically sees himself as a team leader and coordinator with few views on what oughr to happen in the medium term. He allows more ideological people (Osborne on the size of the state, Gove on schools structure and even individual books, the 2010 health team on NHS restructuring, IDS on Universal Credit) to pursue their agendas, neither obviously encouraging or discouraging them except when they fight each other. Whether that's really good leadership is debatable: the weakness is that the overall sense is that we're going nowhere in particular but doing drastic things when a particular minister wants them. One can't accuse him of Blairite dominance, but it feels quite random.

That is so completely wrong as to be quite interesting. I think you probably mean it sincerely, so it helps explain Labour's evident puzzlement at Cameron and the lack of focus of their attacks on him (which presumably is why they fall back on attacking his privileged background, having nothing else to say).

Nick, I hate to break the news to you, but Cameron wants Gove to sort out education, IDS to sort out welfare, Osborne to sort out the economy, and the NHS to become more efficient. This is not individual ministers pursuing their own agendas, it is ministers pursuing the government's agenda, and is certainly not 'ideological'. You are right in a sense that Cameron sees himself as a team leader and coordinator: that is precisely his strength. He and his colleagues have identified the four great challenges you describe, and he is giving talented ministers time and space to get on with tackling them, without interfering from his sofa on a day-to-day basis as Blair so hopelessly did. That is not 'going nowhere particular', it is good government.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    hucks67 said:

He is more concerned about the future of the UK and the well-being of its people and their ability to compete in a global economy than political ambition - exactly the opposite of one Gordon Brown who only wanted to serve and reward the Labour VI and lay political traps for his successors.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252

Experience tells me that if Cameron loses next year, it will be out of his hands as we Tories engage in Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing, again

The mere existence of Eric Pickles should put a rapid halt to the cannibalism.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

I just asked two people this. They both said "not really" and "he seems smug".
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    I very much doubt Cameron would be interested in serving as LOTO after being PM.

The only basis on which it could happen is if Milliband doesn't get a majority and can't form a coalition, making another autumn 2015 election highly probable.
  • Options
    Financier said:

hucks67 said:

He is more concerned about the future of the UK and the well-being of its people and their ability to compete in a global economy than political ambition - exactly the opposite of one Gordon Brown who only wanted to serve and reward the Labour VI and lay political traps for his successors.
    Just the kind of Tory bollocks I would expect from you. He is just a self seeking yahoo like the other toffs lining up at the trough, in it for himself.
  • Options

That is so completely wrong as to be quite interesting. I think you probably mean it sincerely, so it helps explain Labour's evident puzzlement at Cameron and the lack of focus of their attacks on him (which presumably is why they fall back on attacking his privileged background, having nothing else to say).

Nick, I hate to break the news to you, but Cameron wants Gove to sort out education, IDS to sort out welfare, Osborne to sort out the economy, and the NHS to become more efficient. This is not individual ministers pursuing their own agendas, it is ministers pursuing the government's agenda, and is certainly not 'ideological'. You are right in a sense that Cameron sees himself as a team leader and coordinator: that is precisely his strength. He and his colleagues have identified the four great challenges you describe, and he is giving talented ministers time and space to get on with tackling them, without interfering from his sofa on a day-to-day basis as Blair so hopelessly did. That is not 'going nowhere particular', it is good government.
    Yes the Tories are certainly sorting out the economy, NHS, welfare and education.

Sorting out in the sense the Kray twins would "sort out" local diffculties.

Each one of those has been a disaster in Tory hands.

With the NHS at the top following the hideously inept and unwanted reorganisation, education not far behind dragged down by the sheer idiocy of the Free Schools policy, welfare now more expensive than ever and the economy showing clear signs of rightwing negelect.
  • Options

Absolutely right. And as the face of the government, he takes the heat off to a certain extent with the usual 'grrrrrrr bloody government' brigade. He's a difficult man to hate. Like Major.
    It's not until the rabble underneath him implode ( a la 92-97) that he will get his cards from the electorate.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Yes the Tories are certainly sorting out the economy, NHS, welfare and education.

With the NHS at the top following the hideously inept and unwanted reorganisation, education not far behind dragged down by the sheer idiocy of the Free Schools policy, welfare now more expensive than ever and the economy showing clear signs of rightwing negelect.
    Lol. And there was me expecting you to issue a glowing report card
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

BenM said:

Lol. And there was me expecting you to issue a glowing report card
    Arf.
  • Options
    O/T An interesting article by Frank Field:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/the-government-must-address-the-effect-of-mass-immigration-on-poorer-voters/

I have a lot of time for Frank Field, but I do wonder at the bizarre logic here (which Miliband seems to share). The remedy for too much immigration is apparently to increase wages.

But, if you increase wages, you make it more attractive for workers from the EU to come here. That increases, not reduces, the competition which young British workers would face in applying for jobs, thereby increasing unemployment even if the wage increase doesn't of itself reduce the number of jobs which are economic for employers to provide. How on earth does that solve the problem?
  • Options
    BenM said:

If you can't even understand the fact the nation is governed by a Coalition then I'm unsure why we should afford your missives any credibility ?

• Options

DavidL said:

I know what you mean - my parents were both mostly Conservative because that's what they wanted. They were terminally put off by Maggie, and I'm not sure you can reasonably argue that either Howard or Hague fitted the model you describe.

I wouldn't which is why I referred to a post Maggie period as part of my exception.

The ideologue's argument is that if you don't believe in things you can't force through the changes that are required to make it happen. I think that is wrong and simplistic. I think in most areas of life, in both public service and private, what is needed is an open and flexible mind which is willing to look at all the evidence, especially the bits that do not fit the preconceived ideas.

This is undoubtedly slower and can be frustrating but it also allows better decision making at the end of the day.

I don't accept this is a government of ideologues. Gove, for example, is very focussed on improving education for the less advantaged and is intolerant of those he perceives as blocking the changes necessary to help them whilst another generation goes by. This can make him look like an ideologue who is not listening to the evidence of those who see the complexities. But his actual record does not, in my view at least, support such an analysis.

• Options
    Socrates said:

We should deal with the new Caliphate in the same way that Bernard of Clairvaux approached crusading. Per se it's regrettable, but if you have a bunch of hardened violent thugs on your hands, better they be violent, hardened thugs in the Levant than in western Europe.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Sheesh.

Not at all. I use the term in the sense of "primarily influenced" - obviously we all have some ideas about this and that, but Cameron doesn't follow any particular pattern. Richard N disagrees and thinks it's all part of a plan. I doubt it.

Incidentally, you said that calling people "ideological" was a Marxist claim, but you've just said everyone in politics is ideological, right? Marxists, as I recall, regard it as a compliment. They feel that debating politics with someone not ideological is like discussing philosophy with a sheep - restful, even charming, but not ultimately productive. (If I may say so, you seem much more Marxist than I am.)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

But would Cameron going be the best move for the Tories because all the indicators are that unlike the other three leaders he’s the only one who is not a drag on his party?

Whether Cameron is the best option for the Conservatives is almost irrelevant. If he ceases to be PM after the 2015GE then he will have failed and he will be judged not to be good enough

.I follow the polls very closely and I cannot recall a time when the Tories have been ahead of Cameron.

Has this generally been the case for Conservative leaders, or is it a special quality of Cameron? I note that Osborne is also seen more favourably than his party - what of Howard, IDS, Hague, Major, Thatcher, et al?

Perhaps it's not such a special quality that Cameron possesses? Also, one of Cameron's goals was to "detoxify" the Conservatives as a brand. If that is another thing he has failed to achieve then perhaps the party would be right to look for a leader who might articulate a new Conservatism that would convince the public that the party had their best interests at heart, rather than blaming them for their ills.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    "When you read about the 20th anniversary of Tony Blair’s election as Labour leader, it is striking how many people were inspired by him back in 1997. It sounds like stating the obvious but it shouldn’t be because political inspiration is such a rare quality. Tony Blair projected strength, conviction and policies without having to spell them out. He obliterated the Conservative Party for a decade not through policy but sheer personality.

When I went to volunteer for Obama in 2008 I saw that energy first-hand too; 90 year old women baked cookies and delivered them to our office to help in any way they could. Getting people to do that for you is no easy task.

When I first wrote that Ed Miliband should be leader of the Labour party back in 2009, it was because he inspired me too. At a time when Labour was intellectually bankrupt and devoid of energy, he worked tirelessly and spoke passionately about climate change and the challenges it presented. His tireless work at Copenhagen generated the sort of admiration across party lines that is still very rare. Rather than accept defeat he visibly fought and won beyond expectations.

Even when Miliband launched his leadership bid, rejecting New Labour’s descent into illiberalism and its lazy acceptance of growing inequality, there was an energy and excitement around his insurgent campaign that simply didn’t exist with other candidates.

But somewhere along the line, Ed Miliband seems to have forgotten how to express his urgent sense of mission and change. Rather than convey it with energy and passion, he has retreated to the comfort zone of orchestrated speeches and policy announcements."

http://labourlist.org/2014/07/ed-miliband-needs-to-inspire-the-labour-party-not-just-lead-it/
  • Options
    edited July 2014

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/the-government-must-address-the-effect-of-mass-immigration-on-poorer-voters/

I have a lot of time for Frank Field, but I do wonder at the bizarre logic here (which Miliband seems to share). The remedy for too much immigration is apparently to increase wages.

But, if you increase wages, you make it more attractive for workers from the EU to come here. That increases, not reduces, the competition which young British workers would face in applying for jobs, thereby increasing unemployment even if the wage increase doesn't of itself reduce the number of jobs which are economic for employers to provide. How on earth does that solve the problem?

Absolutely. The problem with the minimum wage is that there's inevitably a tension between the employment reducing effect and the wage boosting effect. The more low income workers you have, the bigger that tension is. So Labour's strategy of import more poor people but make up for it by paying them more will just end up with low income people struggling to get employment, more zero hour contracts etc. There's also the fact that putting up the minimum wage only helps those below the level you put it up too, while low skilled immigration will affect people a good way up the distribution. It doesn't make economic sense at all.

But if you look at it from another perspective, a political one, the Labour strategy suddenly makes perfect sense. You make a lot larger share of the population low income workers, and screw the market so much that you force them to depend on left-wing policies to survive at all. Plus you have the added advantage that the newcomers are people without any connection to the history and traditions of this nation, so they won't have any attachment to patriotic conservatism. They are also a lot less likely to mind as you hand over sovereign powers to an EU superstate.

It's a recipe that has worked fantastically well for them in London, and they want to repeat it across the rest of the country. If anyone complains too much, you can just scream racist at them, and get the immigrant communities even more strongly in your pocket. This gets a bit more difficult when many of the immigrants are white people, but you can just change the meaning of "racism" so its not connected to race.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,437
    To be a good leader you need to be able to know when to take advice, seek that advice, decide whether to act on that advice and delegate implementation appropriately.

You should not be too ideological because that gets in the way of seeking advice, but you can not be a fence sitter as that gets in the way of making decisions.

In addition, government and politics is a team sport and whilst you need your charismatic striker, that is no good without the background team support.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

You are right, it doesn't solve the problem. The only way to solve it is to stop mass immigration of cheap labour.

If any of the recent parties of government really cared about the English working class, they would do it.
  • Options

The most interesting analysis I've seen recently was about education, which pointed out that the obsession with % of students getting 5 A-C grades meant schools were basically just forgetting about kids who were unlikely to reach that standard: why waste resources on kids that don't help you in the rankings? And this meant that 25-40% of the kids leaving school really had very poor literacy and skills relative to EU immigrants.

Whether this is right or not, I don't know. But it's a plausible hypothesis.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @DavidL

" I think in most areas of life, in both public service and private, what is needed is an open and flexible mind which is willing to look at all the evidence, especially the bits that do not fit the preconceived ideas.

This is undoubtedly slower and can be frustrating but it also allows better decision making at the end of the day."

There still comes a point when the person in charge has to make a decision. At that point they are likely to upset one or more groups of people who for many possible reasons will not agree with said decision. In politics those people will then attack the decision maker as an ideologue, refusing to listen to the experts and all the rest of it and the political opponents will jump on the band wagon.

A lot of the looking at evidence, weighing of alternatives and exploring likely unintended consequences can and, perhaps, should be done before entering government. I think there is evidence to suggest that is indeed what Gove and IDS did.
  • Options
    Trent Bridge - India win toss and bat.
  • Options
    JackW said:

BenM said:

If you can't even understand the fact the nation is governed by a Coalition then I'm unsure why we should afford your missives any credibility ?

Like we should give you any credibility just because you are one of them. Fact that the Tories have the troughing Lib Dems as their lapdogs makes little odds.
  • Options
    Those polls over recent days showing Labour having doubled its lead over the Tories, appears credible enough, especially with similar figures overnight from YouGov.
    The curious thing, at least to me is that at face value, there appears to have been a straight switch of 2%-3% from Conservative to Labour, whereas the level of support for the LibDems and UKIP seems almost unchanged.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sarah Wollaston MP on Twitter:

"Not doubting her integrity but hard to see why Baroness Butler Sloss would want to accept a role so many regard as conflicted at the outset
    8:51am - 9 Jul 14"

www.twitter.com/drwollastonmp
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2014

Not at all. I use the term in the sense of "primarily influenced" - obviously we all have some ideas about this and that, but Cameron doesn't follow any particular pattern. Richard N disagrees and thinks it's all part of a plan. I doubt it.

Incidentally, you said that calling people "ideological" was a Marxist claim, but you've just said everyone in politics is ideological, right? Marxists, as I recall, regard it as a compliment. They feel that debating politics with someone not ideological is like discussing philosophy with a sheep - restful, even charming, but not ultimately productive. (If I may say so, you seem much more Marxist than I am.)

Quite wrong. To Marx and Engels:
    'Ideology' ... is a false consciousness or an obfuscated mental process in which men do not understand the forces that actually guide their thinking, but imagine it to be wholly governed by logic and intellectual influences. [Kolakowski, Main Currents, 1, 126-127]
    It is the task of Marxist intellectuals, by contrast, to achieve a true, "objective" and "scientific" consciousness. Thus to accuse a Marxist of being ideological is to accuse him of apostasy.

My point was indeed that all politicians are ideological. Politicians such as yourself accusing other politicians of being "ideological" is patent hypocrisy. The implication is that your opponents are blinded by false consciousness, whereas you have achieved objectivity. Your use of the term in relation to Osborne and Gove thus corresponds precisely to the Marxist concept of ideology.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    rcs1000 said:

The most interesting analysis I've seen recently was about education, which pointed out that the obsession with % of students getting 5 A-C grades meant schools were basically just forgetting about kids who were unlikely to reach that standard: why waste resources on kids that don't help you in the rankings? And this meant that 25-40% of the kids leaving school really had very poor literacy and skills relative to EU immigrants.

Whether this is right or not, I don't know. But it's a plausible hypothesis.
    I have to agree with both you and Mr Nabavi

• Options
    edited July 2014
    isam said:

You are right, it doesn't solve the problem. The only way to solve it is to stop mass immigration of cheap labour.

If any of the recent parties of government really cared about the English working class, they would do it.

I'm suspicious of that solution too, though. It's basically the same argument used in the 1970s about imported cars: the way to help the UK car industry was to put up more barriers so people would be forced to buy rubbish Austins rather than reliable Toyotas. You're basically arguing that employers should be forced to employ English workers rather than better-motivated and better-educated EU immigrants. History suggests that competition is a good thing in the long run, and protectionism leads to decline.

I accept of course that the analogy is not perfect: we're talking about people here, not goods, and there are knock-on effects to immigration in terms of infrastructure, housing, schools, etc, and of course cultural cohesiveness. All the same, putting up barriers is really addressing the symptom, not the cause.
  • Options

Charles said:

Mr Blair said of the Conservative Party:

"Their right isn’t like our left. They believe they can win from the right in a way Labour could never do from the left and they are correct in that."

http://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/viewer.html?doc=202593-doc27

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/8566997/Labour-coup-The-Ed-Balls-files-database-released.html
    But, of course, it was not in Blair's interest to encourage the Tories to tack to the right.

Definitely not. Absolutely not. He was just offering them advice from the goodness of his heart.
  • Options
    As PB is suffering from an infestation of @malcolmg, may I cordially advise PBers not to feed that particular troll.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    JackW said:

Trent Bridge - India win toss and bat.

£20 Lay of England @ 2.98 to start the test for me.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Given the Cost of Living crisis, would you rather prices went up?
This discussion has been closed.