Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ex-UKIP leader chosen by Tories to fight the seat’s where F

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ex-UKIP leader chosen by Tories to fight the seat’s where Farage is said to be interested

CON choose ex-UKIP leader to fight Thanet S
Against Farage?
My money's now going on LAB in this tight 3-way marginal pic.twitter.com/eG2CKD2MGQ

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    Farage is less likely to stand in South Thanet than he was on Friday morning.

A chartered accountant who was leader of UKIP in 1997 and deputy leader from 1997-2000 is someone with too many weapons in his armoury.

Unlike Geoffrey Dickens, he would have understood the power of a photocopier.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Will the guy join the Better Off Out group of Tories?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2014
    Are tactical voters going to know to vote Lab? 2010 was:
    Con 22,043
    Lab 14,426
    LibDem 6,935
    ...which only looks close to us because we think the LibDems will collapse in Lab's favour. It's obvious that this will happen to us, but it won't be to most voters. And I'd have thought the media would mainly report this as a UKIP challenge to Con. The result will probably be a big, confusing tactical mess with misplaced tactical votes all over the place.

Con having a very UKIP-ish candidate may help Lab squeeze those LibDems a bit harder (at least the liberal-left ones, don't know how many of those are in Thanet), but Lab need more than a LibDem squeeze, they need a big LibDem squeeze plus a decent-sized Con->UKIP movement that isn't matched by Lab->UKIP. This is looking less likely now than it was at the beginning of the year.

Looks like a Con hold to me.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited July 2014
    ref. PT. Mr ALP, TBF to GD, photocopiers were very much less easy to obtain then. I recall in the v early 80's using an ink-based duplicator.
    Nearly as messy as the situation which is developing.
  • Options

Are tactical voters going to know to vote Lab? 2010 was:

Con 22,043
    Lab 14,426
    LibDem 6,935
    ...which only looks close to us because we think the LibDems will collapse in Lab's favour. It's obvious that this will happen to us, but it won't be to most voters. And I'd have thought the media would mainly report this as a UKIP challenge to Con. The result will probably be a big, confusing tactical mess with misplaced tactical votes all over the place.

Con having a very UKIP-ish candidate may help Lab squeeze those LibDems a bit harder, but Lab need more than a LibDem squeeze, they need a big LibDem squeeze plus a decent-sized Con->UKIP movement that isn't matched by Lab->UKIP.

Looks like a Con hold to me.

Good point about the media's likely portrayal of the battle.

Labour's cause isn't helped by the choice of a 24 year old PPC who looks at least ten years younger than his age.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

Mass expulsions are part of the history of the Muslim and Christian world, on both sides. Whether expulsion of Moors from Spain, Turks from The Balkans or Tatars from Crimea. This is counterbalanced by the expulsions and destruction of the Greeks and Armenians in Anatolia and the continuing persecution of Middle Eastern Christians to this day.

The fate of the Tatars is that they were on the losing side of a line of a 1300 year old culture war.

We're not in the middle ages any more. This can't be brushed aside as "one of those things".
    One could harp on about the Golden Horde and Christians kidnapped and brought south to the Crimea to be sold as slaves.

Of course the greatest victims of Lenin, Trotsky and their Bolshevik co conspirators were the Russians themselves. A state against its own people with Russians far and few between in the state apparatus till Russification in the great Patriotic War. Personally though I loathe the left's tendency to cry crocodile tears over crimes that benefit their cause whilst ignoring those that don't. Who, whom is the motivator.
    Terrible as slavery was, we're not in the Middle Ages any more.

I absolutely agree that the Russians had a terrible experience through communist rule. Ever since the Mongol invasion, Russia has been beset with illiberal autocratic dictators, from the Tsars to the communists to the KGB kleptocrats currently in power. The constitutional, progressive rule from Kiev was replaced by the tyrannical rule of Moscow. But the suffering of the Russians does not justify being rewarded for ethnic cleansing, nor does it justify the invasion and annexation of foreign territory.
  • Options

ref. PT. Mr ALP, TBF to GD, photocopiers were very much less easy to obtain then. I recall in the v early 80's using an ink-based duplicator.

The days of the Gestetner Cyclograph, Mr. Cole.

The iPad generation never knew the trials and tribulations we had to undergo.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Indeed Mr LP. Up there with finding a working telephone box to communicate with one’s base.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Mercedes looking fairly quick.

/analysis
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    AveryLP said:

Very true, but photocopiers were in place, even in public sector offices, before 1980. True one had to copy each page one at a time and they were not cheap to use (10p per page as I recall) but they were there in every public sector office from the late 1970's onwards.

The idea that a someone would hand over a dossier of important information without keeping a copy of it, is insane.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    FPT

AveryLP said:

Socrates said:

AveryLP said:

@JohnLilburne

We certainly need to challenge the assertion that Russian-speaking Ukrainians are Russians living abroad who is some way need Russian "protection"

The apparent calm in Eastern Ukraine is less a product of military intervention than a buying off of dissent by the oligarchs who own the core industries of the region and are, in many areas, sole local employers.

The oligarchs in Ukraine are acting in their own economic self-interest. Most of the customers of their businesses are Ukrainians, who have turned strongly against Russia over the country's invasion of their homeland.
    Socrates.

The principal customers for the heavy industries of Eastern Ukraine are Russian. A substantial amount of mining extracts are also sold on world markets and make up the largest part of the Ukraine's foreign currency earnings.

Ukrainian consumers have a minimal impact on where such output is sold.

Chocolates maybe. Steel and Coal, not.

I was at a function recently at the Ukrainian club in Leicester (It dates from postwar refugees). I can highly commend Ukrainian chocolates, the beer is good too.
    I was never convinced by Ukrainian chocolates, Dr. Sox.

The state banks in Soviet capitals always used at present them at meetings with the suggestion that you were being treated as a VIP. There was no option but to praise them effusively.

I preferred the approach of the new private sector banks which operated out of derelict industrial premises but served the most expensive chocolates imported from Maison du Chocolat in Paris.

As you will know I am not a natural Francophile and only a very limited snob, but I do believe that the French outran the Ukrainians in the Prix du Chocolat Stakes.

• Options

AveryLP said:

Very true, but photocopiers were in place, even in public sector offices, before 1980. True one had to copy each page one at a time and they were not cheap to use (10p per page as I recall) but they were there in every public sector office from the late 1970's onwards.

The idea that a someone would hand over a dossier of important information without keeping a copy of it, is insane.
    Quite, Mr Lama. IIRC by the time GD compiled his dossier word-processing systems were in place ..... I recall using an Amstrad in the mid 80’s and consequently there would be a record somewhere. I know the Little & Sad constituency no longer exists, but surely all the records in the Tory office were not destroyed.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AveryLP said:

FPT

AveryLP said:

Socrates said:

AveryLP said:

@JohnLilburne

We certainly need to challenge the assertion that Russian-speaking Ukrainians are Russians living abroad who is some way need Russian "protection"

The apparent calm in Eastern Ukraine is less a product of military intervention than a buying off of dissent by the oligarchs who own the core industries of the region and are, in many areas, sole local employers.

The oligarchs in Ukraine are acting in their own economic self-interest. Most of the customers of their businesses are Ukrainians, who have turned strongly against Russia over the country's invasion of their homeland.
    Socrates.

The principal customers for the heavy industries of Eastern Ukraine are Russian. A substantial amount of mining extracts are also sold on world markets and make up the largest part of the Ukraine's foreign currency earnings.

I was at a function recently at the Ukrainian club in Leicester (It dates from postwar refugees). I can highly commend Ukrainian chocolates, the beer is good too.

The state banks in Soviet capitals always used at present them at meetings with the suggestion that you were being treated as a VIP. There was no option but to praise them effusively.

I preferred the approach of the new private sector banks which operated out of derelict industrial premises but served the most expensive chocolates imported from Maison du Chocolat in Paris.

As you will know I am not a natural Francophile and only a very limited snob, but I do believe that the French outran the Ukrainians in the Prix du Chocolat Stakes.

It was a delightful and well lubricated function, so maybe the pleasures of the evening softened my assessment of the sweets!
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @OldKingCole
    Depends on the resources of those who wanted the documents "lost"?
  • Options
    Has this fellow revealed to the world his reasons for defecting to the blues from the purples?

It does rather diminish the contention that pro-kippers are allowed no votes or winnable seats in the Tory party.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

FPT

AveryLP said:

Socrates said:

AveryLP said:

@JohnLilburne

Socrates.

It was a delightful and well lubricated function, so maybe the pleasures of the evening softened my assessment of the sweets!
    Not that brand advertised on the TV then!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Has this fellow revealed to the world his reasons for defecting to the blues from the purples?

It does rather diminish the contention that pro-kippers are allowed no votes or winnable seats in the Tory party.

Apparently he's a huge Jean-Claude Juncker fan. Left UKIP as soon as he heard he'd be getting the presidency.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    AveryLP said:

A chartered accountant who was leader of UKIP in 1997 and deputy leader from 1997-2000 is someone with too many weapons in his armoury.

Farage only became an MEP in 1999, the misdemeanours you allege would barely have begun if they ever happened
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2014
    Putting aside questions like why MacKinlay left UKIP or why as former leader he never managed to become an MEP or how did he lose the PCC elections in Kent when in 2010 the Tories swept the board in Kent or why a 'Kentish Man' is intruding on 'Man Of Kent' territory' I thought it would be helpful looking at the Thanet vote shares from 2010 onwards. I've combined the Thanet North and Thanet South 2010 results to provide a like for like comparison (It is worth noting that the Tories had almost double the vote share lead over Labour in Thanet North [31% lead] than in Thanet South [16% lead] in 2010)

2010 General Election

Con 50%
    Lab 27%
    LD 17%
    UKIP 5%

2011 Local Authority Elections (2007 results in brackets)

Con 47% (50)
    Lab 38% (33)
    LD 3% (1)
    UKIP 2% (3)

2013 County Council Elections (2009 result in brackets)

Con 26% (44)
    Lab 28% (26)
    LD 3% (15)
    UKIP 39% (9)

2014 Euro Elections (2009 figures in brackets)

Con 22% (30)
    Lab 17% (13)
    LD 3% (8)
    UKIP 46% (22)

Of course the other question is whether Labour or Tories will divert funds from Con/Lab marginals to fight the 10 to 20 seats where UKIP potentially could threaten? From a Labour perspective it would seem a waste of money. If UKIP win a seat from the Tories that's another step toward Downing Street for Miliband so I doubt they would bother and that being the case can the Tories afford to?
  • Options

Apparently he's a huge Jean-Claude Juncker fan. Left UKIP as soon as he heard he'd be getting the presidency.
    Excellent news! Heaven has a place for the sinner who repents. As does the Tory party...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    AveryLP said:

Pinky purple copies that smelled curiously fruity IIRC - those were the days. Xerox just created that weird hot electricity scent that made me want to sneeze.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    AveryLP said:

That surely cuts both ways. Not to mention the fact that the extensive statements he will have made against our continued membership of the EU will have to be squared with the Conservative's current stance.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

One could always take a Polaroid of it...
  • Options
    Plato said:

AveryLP said:

Whatever happened to the makers of carbon paper?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Plato said:

AveryLP said:

The Duchess of Argyll's approach?
  • Options
    Plato said:

AveryLP said:

Pinky purple copies that smelled curiously fruity IIRC - those were the days. Xerox just created that weird hot electricity scent that made me want to sneeze.
    Sniffing those, and tippex, in class was one of the pleasures of my schooldays. It used to wind up the teachers spectacularly.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2014
    I must admit it seems quite ironic that the Tories have chosen a UKIP 'cast off' as their candidate in Thanet South.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    isam said:

AveryLP said:

Farage only became an MEP in 1999, the misdemeanours you allege would barely have begun if they ever happened
    Craig MacKinlay was Professor Alan Sked's anointed successor as leader of UKIP. After Sked resigned in 1997, Mackinlay's first decision was to call a leadership election in which he stood against the monied Michael Holmes, Nigel Farage's preferred candidate at the time.

Mackinlay was compensated with the post of Deputy Chairman and Treasurer by Holmes, but the latter too fell out with his colleagues due to his support for the primacy of the European Parliament over the Commission in 1999.

In a night of the long apostrophes, the UKIP NEC removed the entire leadership and voted Jeremy Titford as Leader, who in turn was replaced by Roger Knapman, before he too fell on his apostrophe, ceding centre stage to College, a joint founder of UKIP with Alan Sked in 1993..

Far too many apostrophes in the wrong place here, Sam.

• Options

AveryLP said:

That surely cuts both ways. Not to mention the fact that the extensive statements he will have made against our continued membership of the EU will have to be squared with the Conservative's current stance.
    It is very easy to square. There will be an in/out referendum if the Tories get a majority, so he can campaign for out. There will not be that possibility with Miliband.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,411
    Federer takes first on the tie-break against Djokovic
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Nice to see Plato posting again.
  • Options

Plato said:

AveryLP said:

Whatever happened to the makers of carbon paper?
    I think they had a Kodak Moment...
  • Options

Plato said:

AveryLP said:

Sniffing those, and tippex, in class was one of the pleasures of my schooldays. It used to wind up the teachers spectacularly.
    Slightly worrying there Dr Fox. Teenagers sniffing Tippex was something which alarmed many of us concerned with drug abuse in the days when we started to worry about such things.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Hello! Just seen you ancient tweet. Sorry to miss you down here in Eastbourne. I feel like I've been away forever.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

AveryLP said:

Craig MacKinlay was Professor Alan Sked's anointed successor as leader of UKIP. After Sked resigned in 1997, Mackinlay's first decision was to call a leadership election in which he stood against the monied Michael Holmes, Nigel Farage's preferred candidate at the time.

Mackinlay was compensated with the post of Deputy Chairman and Treasurer by Holmes, but the latter too fell out with his colleagues due to his support for the primacy of the European Parliament over the Commission in 1999.

In a night of the long apostrophes, the UKIP NEC removed the entire leadership and voted Jeremy Titford as Leader, who in turn was replaced by Roger Knapman, before he too fell on his apostrophe, ceding centre stage to College, a joint founder of UKIP with Alan Sked in 1993..

Far too many apostrophes in the wrong place here, Sam.

Rather reminiscent of a certain Georgians rise to power. MacKinlay needs to watch out for Mexicans with icepicks!
  • Options

Plato said:

AveryLP said:

And the first fax machines that clunked their way along then stamped the output to show it was *received*.

I remember seeing a fax machine on Tomorrow's World! All that curly paper that went blank/black in the sunlight. Those were the days.
  • Options
    Plato said:

AveryLP said:

Welcome back, Plato.

The skies are blue and the horizons promising.

PB is but a rose garden these days, with the threat from lefty aphids mostly under control.

Beware that Smarmeron though. He leaves a black spot on all petals.

• Options

Plato said:

AveryLP said:

Slightly worrying there Dr Fox. Teenagers sniffing Tippex was something which alarmed many of us concerned with drug abuse in the days when we started to worry about such things.
    It was just in class, and rather theatrically to tease the teachers!

I was at a comp, so too low budget for the more exotic nasal stimulants of the posh boys up the road!
  • Options
    Plato said:

Plato said:

AveryLP said:

And the first fax machines that clunked their way along then stamped the output to show it was *received*.

I remember seeing a fax machine on Tomorrow's World! All that curly paper that went blank/black in the sunlight. Those were the days.
    Do David Hockney’s pictures by fax still exist?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Plato said:

AveryLP said:

Pinky purple copies that smelled curiously fruity IIRC - those were the days. Xerox just created that weird hot electricity scent that made me

Beware that Smarmeron though. He leaves a black spot on all petals.

I used to use fungal killer on my Peach Weed - do you think that'd work? I had a devil of a problem with it all over my willows and honeysuckle one summer.
  • Options
    Welcome back Plato :)
  • Options
    Djokovic a break up in the 2nd set 2-1.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2014
    This is encouraging:
    "Spain is blocking Britain’s efforts to opt back in to the European Arrest Warrant, which controls the extradition of criminal suspects between EU member states.

For Britain to opt back in, all other states have to agree."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2681940/James-Forsyth-Desperate-Nick-sends-MPs-survival-courses.html

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/07/spain-gives-cameron-another-eu-headache.html
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I used to use fungal killer on my Peach Weed - do you think that'd work? I had a devil of a problem with it all over my willows and honeysuckle one summer.

Is that the purple rot that destroys everything non indigenous?

Welcome back Plato!
  • Options
    Mum's a big Federer fan, she's whooping every time he scores and cursing every time Djokovic scores :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @Plato‌

I fear there is very little known to man which will keep Smarmeron down, Plato.

Although I have heard that Cameron is urging investment in pesticidinal research to combat newly developed immunities.
  • Options

This is encouraging:
    "Spain is blocking Britain’s efforts to opt back in to the European Arrest Warrant, which controls the extradition of criminal suspects between EU member states.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2681940/James-Forsyth-Desperate-Nick-sends-MPs-survival-courses.html

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/07/spain-gives-cameron-another-eu-headache.html

Why on Earth is a party that claims to be eurosceptic handing over significant new powers over to the European Union, without giving the public a say over it? It completely undermines their supposed philosophy.
  • Options

Mum's a big Federer fan, she's whooping every time he scores and cursing every time Djokovic scores :)

The crowd is clearly on Federer's side too.

He does have the Miliband look about him, but Miliband snr. rather than jnr.
  • Options

This is encouraging:

Outstanding news. It is a disgrace, however, that the British national interest may only be protected by the machinations of the Kingdom of Spain.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Well done Lewis Hamilton, we could do with a bit of British sporting success after the last few weeks. :)
  • Options

This is encouraging:

Outstanding news. It is a disgrace, however, that the British national interest may only be protected by the machinations of the Kingdom of Spain.
    You are cheering a victory for Catholicism, M'Lud?

• Options

This is encouraging:

Isn’t EAW a good thing; enables police to catch criminals etc?
  • Options
    On topic. I fancy the Conservatives to win this seat now, their choice of candidate might just see Farage opting not to stand in this seat.
  • Options
    Djokovic wins second set 6-4 one set apiece now.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Welcome back Plato, good to see you on here again!
  • Options

Djokovic a break up in the 2nd set 2-1.

Thanx Dr Sunil. I was talking about your E Coli expertise on another board just a week ago!

Killer Cucumbers - what a story that was. How long ago did that happen?
  • Options

Is that the purple rot that destroys everything non indigenous?

Welcome back Plato!

Ha! LOL
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

Mass expulsions are part of the history of the Muslim and Christian world, on both sides. Whether expulsion of Moors from Spain, Turks from The Balkans or Tatars from Crimea. This is counterbalanced by the expulsions and destruction of the Greeks and Armenians in Anatolia and the continuing persecution of Middle Eastern Christians to this day.

The fate of the Tatars is that they were on the losing side of a line of a 1300 year old culture war.

We're not in the middle ages any more. This can't be brushed aside as "one of those things".
    One could harp on about the Golden Horde and Christians kidnapped and brought south to the Crimea to be sold as slaves.

Of course the greatest victims of Lenin, Trotsky and their Bolshevik co conspirators were the Russians themselves. A state against its own people with Russians far and few between in the state apparatus till Russification in the great Patriotic War. Personally though I loathe the left's tendency to cry crocodile tears over crimes that benefit their cause whilst ignoring those that don't. Who, whom is the motivator.

I absolutely agree that the Russians had a terrible experience through communist rule. Ever since the Mongol invasion, Russia has been beset with illiberal autocratic dictators, from the Tsars to the communists to the KGB kleptocrats currently in power. The constitutional, progressive rule from Kiev was replaced by the tyrannical rule of Moscow. But the suffering of the Russians does not justify being rewarded for ethnic cleansing, nor does it justify the invasion and annexation of foreign territory.
    Oh I agree the current ethnic cleansing being carried out against Russians in the Donbass region must be stopped however 'progressive' one might believe such actions to be. The use of heavy weaponry against civilian areas as well as the language used to support it is wholly unacceptable.

The right to self determination must be a cornerstone of British and European policy.
  • Options
    Welcome back Plato, you have been missed.
    Plato said:

AndyJS said:

Hello! Just seen you ancient tweet. Sorry to miss you down here in Eastbourne. I feel like I've been away forever.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Welcome back Plato, you have been missed.

Plato said:

AndyJS said:

Aww shucks.

It's like stepping back in time! All the old faces are here, bar one *wink*
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2014
    AveryLP said:

@Plato‌

Although I have heard that Cameron is urging investment in pesticidinal research to combat newly developed immunities.

I obviously cannot speak for Smarmeron, but I quietly identify with Japanese Knotweed.
  • Options

Fear not. If we withdraw from the framework decision, we will still be subject to the European Convention on Extradition, so the police will still be able to catch criminals. The rights and liberty of the subject will, however, be considerably better preserved.
  • Options
    Toms said:

AveryLP said:

@Plato‌

I quietly identify with Japanese Knotweed.
    Pah - I raise you Cleavers!

urbanherbology.org/2011/03/25/cleavers-nlkleefkruid-galium-aparine/
  • Options
    Toms said:

AveryLP said:

@Plato‌

I obviously cannot speak for Smarmeron, but I quietly identify with Japanese Knotweed.
    Weeding is an unacceptable form of garden ethnic cleansing. Stand up for the rights of immigrant vegetation, and embrace diversity!
  • Options

Fear not. If we withdraw from the framework decision, we will still be subject to the European Convention on Extradition, so the police will still be able to catch criminals. The rights and liberty of the subject will, however, be considerably better preserved.
    Good. I look forward to the day when police can co-operate across national borders in Europe as easily as across British county borders now.
  • Options

Toms said:

AveryLP said:

@Plato‌

Weeding is an unacceptable form of garden ethnic cleansing. Stand up for the rights of immigrant vegetation, and embrace diversity!
    Perfect!
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2014

I look forward to the day when police can co-operate across national borders in Europe as easily as across British county borders now.

On that basis, you would be content if the Greek, Hungarian or Bulgarian police could enter the Metropolitan Police District without informing any British authority, arrest a man without a warrant, remove him from the jurisdiction without the consent of a judge, and subsequently institute proceedings against him in Greece, Hungary or Bulgaria in respect of allegations which occurred within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court? It is an eccentric view, I grant you.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Welcome back, Miss Plato.

Just writing up the post-race piece. Mostly done, looking at the title races.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

I look forward to the day when police can co-operate across national borders in Europe as easily as across British county borders now.

On that basis, you would be content if the Greek, Hungarian or Bulgarian police could enter the Metropolitan Police District without informing any British authority, arrest a man without a warrant, remove him from the jurisdiction without the consent of a judge, and subsequently institute proceedings against him in Greece, Hungary or Bulgaria in respect of allegations which occurred within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court? It is an eccentric view, I grant you.
    It's also the reason why Britain has become a safe haven for continental criminals, there are many mafia types living in London from EU countries taking advantage of the low quality of the justice systems in their parent countries to avoid extradition.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Welcome back, Miss Plato.

Just writing up the post-race piece. Mostly done, looking at the title races.

Have you not been out watching Le Tour Mr D?

And nice to see Plato has returned
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Socrates said:

This is encouraging:

Why on Earth is a party that claims to be eurosceptic handing over significant new powers over to the European Union, without giving the public a say over it? It completely undermines their supposed philosophy.
    The politics of it are bad for all three parties. They all claim to be in favour of a referendum if more powers are passed to the EU. No referendum makes them all liars.

For the Conservatives, they will be making the 'Referendum Lock' (the Eu Bill) a feature of their campaign, passing new powers to the EU without a referendum shows that Bill to be worthless.
  • Options

Works both ways of course. And I don’t suppose the forces you mention are much less competent that the Met sometimes appears to be!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

Oh I agree the current ethnic cleansing being carried out against Russians in the Donbass region must be stopped however 'progressive' one might believe such actions to be. The use of heavy weaponry against civilian areas as well as the language used to support it is wholly unacceptable.

The right to self determination must be a cornerstone of British and European policy.
    Well yes, along with the right of democratically & legitimately elected governments to use reasonable force against heavily armed foreign-supported-and-supplied insurgents.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    To be honest, I don't think his ex UKIP link is going to make a jot of difference, did anybody vote UKIP in the late 90s? I don't even remember the guy.
    Narrow Tory hold.
    And welcome back cat girl.
  • Options

Well yes, along with the right of democratically & legitimately elected governments to use reasonable force against heavily armed foreign-supported-and-supplied insurgents.

Except the democratically elected Government of Ukraine was overthrown.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited July 2014
    Mackinley was only temp. leader of UKIP for a short while after Sked resigned in 1997, he hasn't been in UKIP for 9 years and he lost badly the PCC for Kent, his political bio isn't impressive and its obvious that he was selected just because he was a UKIP leader.
    It will affect only the anti UKIP narrative in S.Thanet thus dooming the Tories if Farage stands, by making it a straight UKIP-Labour fight, but the Tories might not be in it to win it, just to prevent Farage from winning.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Pubgoer, nope.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No, it wasn't.This is a flat out lie. Parliament voted to remove the President. The vote was unanimous.
  • Options
    Farage does not have a great record in fpft either.

Lets see if he is all mouth and makes his overdue announcement of where he is going to stand.
    Speedy said:

Mackinley was only temp. leader of UKIP for a short while after Sked resigned in 1997, he hasn't been in UKIP for 9 years and he lost badly the PCC for Kent, his political bio isn't impressive and its obvious that he was selected just because he was a UKIP leader.
    It will affect only the anti UKIP narrative in S.Thanet thus dooming the Tories if Farage stands, by making it a straight UKIP-Labour fight, but the Tories might not be in it to win it, just to prevent Farage from winning.

• Options
    edited July 2014

I understand Yanukovich fled following the use of hired thugs to kidnap and murder protesters. There is now another elected government in place. Whatever your views on who should be President, I would still argue that the Ukraine has the right to defend its territorial integrity against a foreign aggressor.

• Options
    Socrates said:

No, it wasn't.This is a flat out lie. Parliament voted to remove the President. The vote was unanimous.
    And the May 25th elections were won with such a majority by Poroshenko that he would have won even if the Donbass and Crimean separatists had voted against him.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

No ethnic cleansing is being carried out against Russians in Donetsk. This is simply a made up lie. You will not be able to produce any credible source to back it. The Ukrainian government needs to use its weapons because in the two ceasefires it has agreed so far, the pro-Russian militias have repeatedly attacked Ukrainian military forces during them, including the shooting down of a helicopter.

Let us be honest here. You support Russian aggressiveness because you dislike the liberal democratic West, and prefer a society that violently attacks gays and is conspiratorial against Jews.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    AveryLP said:

a joint founder of UKIP with Alan Sked in 1993..

Expect a strongly worded letter from Mr Sked on this topic you naughty, naughty man!
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    UKIP when founded was a different beast to what it is now. Alan Sked was on the left. I do not see how it neuters Tory attacks.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    "Call for a public inquiry into historic child abuse: Forget the expenses scandal. If MPs have harboured paedophiles, the damage to British democracy will be fatal says MP SIMON DANCZUK":

Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2681949/Call-public-inquiry-historic-child-abuse-Forget-expenses-scandal-If-MPs-harboured-paedophiles-damage-British-democracy-fatal-says-MP-SIMON-DANCZUK.html
  • Options
    Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

Let us be honest here. You support Russian aggressiveness because you dislike the liberal democratic West, and prefer a society that violently attacks gays and is conspiratorial against Jews.
    It is amazing who has joined the Putinistas, the Left who were Soviet fellow travellers during the Cold War seem to be supporting him as well.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

AveryLP said:

The Conservatives current stance is to offer a referendum on the EU. It would be amazing if Mackinlay did not agree with that.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

It is certainly not a lie, and frankly the use of such an loaded epithet is a sign of immense weakness of argument. The government was overthrown and a transitional government was put in place. What the parliament voted on was to legitimise that process. You can perhaps tell us by what provision of the Ukrainian constitution that this was achieved -maybe one of your credible publications can tell us.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Welcome back Plato. How are your cats?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

AveryLP said:

The Conservatives current stance is to offer a referendum on the EU. It would be amazing if Mackinlay did not agree with that.
    MacKinlay is just an eurosceptic who shuns necrophilia and dodgy accounting.

A natural conservative.
  • Options
    Rather hyperbolic. If MPs have harboured paedophiles it will be an immense scandal, but not fatal to our democracy. Indeed it would be a vindication of independent minded MPs and a free press
    AndyJS said:

"Call for a public inquiry into historic child abuse: Forget the expenses scandal. If MPs have harboured paedophiles, the damage to British democracy will be fatal says MP SIMON DANCZUK":

Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2681949/Call-public-inquiry-historic-child-abuse-Forget-expenses-scandal-If-MPs-harboured-paedophiles-damage-British-democracy-fatal-says-MP-SIMON-DANCZUK.html

• Options
    Socrates said:

No ethnic cleansing is being carried out against Russians in Donetsk. This is simply a made up lie. You will not be able to produce any credible source to back it. The Ukrainian government needs to use its weapons because in the two ceasefires it has agreed so far, the pro-Russian militias have repeatedly attacked Ukrainian military forces during them, including the shooting down of a helicopter.

This post is a disaster. First use the 'lie' word, even 'made up lie' -is that even worse than a non-made up lie?

Then demanding a 'credible source'. As we've found, there's no objective measure of what you would describe as a credible source, except that they don't subscribe to certain views -an entirely subjective measure. A credible source is one that you agree with -so obviously there will be no 'credible' source for what he is alleging.

Your justification of mass shelling of civilian areas is especially pitiful considering this is precisely what you have described in Syria as 'Assad butchering/slaughtering/murdering (insert emotive verb here) his own people'.

As for your last flourish -it's kinder not to comment.

• Options
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

a joint founder of UKIP with Alan Sked in 1993..

Expect a strongly worded letter from Mr Sked on this topic you naughty, naughty man!
    Am I wrong?

I apostrophise most sincerely, Neil.

• Options
    Simply brilliant tennis from Federer.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2014
    Henry G Manson's tip Federer earlier could be a winner
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    I've been looking for a reason to force myself to post less on here. Looks like one's turned up!
  • Options

Rather hyperbolic. If MPs have harboured paedophiles it will be an immense scandal, but not fatal to our democracy. Indeed it would be a vindication of independent minded MPs and a free press

AndyJS said:

Are you aware of who these allegations are aimed at? Not sure you'd be so sanguine if so!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    edited July 2014
    This selection may well have tipped Farage over the line, if you want UKIP, you will vote UKIP, not UKIP lite, meanwhile Labour becomes the main alternative for anyone, including a few Tories, who want to stay in the EU, but this seat is not classic Labour territory outside of very good years and Farage will fancy his chances with no incumbent
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Looks like a good Tory hold to me. A Tory candidate with a known firm view on Europe should stop slippage to UKIP if Farage stands. Wonder if he will now find a pressing reason not to stand at all.
This discussion has been closed.