Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,709
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

If you’re a lurker, why not delurk, why not Sit Down and delurk, it’s your Destiny Calling to delurk, if you want to learn if you should have Laid that political bet or not, then PB is the place for you.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    FPT: Mr. Llama, sadly I was late getting my glasses, so my eyes were screwed and have since worsened (I'm unable to read without them, and can't see my fingernails about a foot away).

It was Yes, Prime Minister, then, because the book was red. And yes, I did read a lot at night with a torch under the covers.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 43s

Dept of Transport says it's stepping up security at airports - won't elabroate on why
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Laura Kuenssberg ✔ @bbclaurak

Dept of Transport says it's stepping up security at airports - won't elabroate on why

Ross Hawkins @rosschawkins

UK stepping up airport security after US does likewise https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dft-statement-on-aviation-securityhttp://www.dhs.gov/news/2014/07/02/statement-secretary-johnson

• Options
    FPT: Mr. Llama, I was just teasing :p

Caesar wasn't very old, but Antigonus was in his 80s at Ipsus, and Seleucus was in his 70s when he fought with Lysimachus.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

UK stepping up airport security after US does likewise https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dft-statement-on-aviation-securityhttp://www.dhs.gov/news/2014/07/02/statement-secretary-johnson

Hague's Hearteaters home on leave to see their mums.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078
    Tory general election campaign fund three times bigger than Labour’s

More to waste I guess.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Number 21 is the greatest link in nighthawks history, I've still not stopped laughing.

Check it out.
  • Options
    Interesting piece by Peston on the right to be forgotten:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28130581
  • Options
    FPT
    AveryLP said:

The ONS released its Economic Review this morning, which often provides interesting commentary based on a full range of the previous month's individual bulletins.

I highlight just one of its key points for the month, on the housing market:

Average UK house prices in April 2014 were around 6.5% above their pre-downturn peak, although much of this increase is concentrated in London. However, despite this recent rise, households continued to deleverage in Q1 2014. The stock of long term loans as a percentage of gross households’ disposable income has fallen from 133% in 2008 to 118% at the start of 2014.

It was rapid expansion and poor risk management in mortgage lending combined with rampant house price inflation in the early noughties which broke Gordon's promise of "no boom or bust".

One without the other is much less dangerous, and, with recent indicators that heat is being taken out of current house price inflation, the prospects for an extended period of low bank rate have increased.

It is Carney's policy to dampen house price rises through public warning, bank regulation and financial risk management leaving him free to use monetary policy solely to maintain low inflation, encourage high employment and support broader economic growth.

So far he is succeeding.

"It is Carney's policy to dampen house price rises through public warning, bank regulation and financial risk management leaving him free to use monetary policy solely to maintain low inflation, encourage high employment and support broader economic growth."

Alternatively the current London housing bubble isn't primarily to do with mortgages it's to do with oligarchs from various BRICs making cash buys and building skyscrapers as a way of stashing their loot so the usual route of calming housing by raising interest rates won't do much.

Plus the zombie banks couldn't take an interest rate rise yet anyway so it's a lucky escape.

Bonus question: how big an impact will all the fines Barclays are being hit with by US financial investigators for various shenanigans- oddly enough completely missed by UK financial regulators - have on Barclays as a business?

Bonus question 2: are the US financial regulators going to go after UK banks specifically because the competitive advantage UK banks get from Tortuga-on-Thames is eating into New York's business too much?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078
    FPT:
    It's amazing that over 30 years after it was written Yes Minister is still so eminently quotable

Quite so. I think it's also easy to remember so much of it not only because there were so many great, concise or insightful quotes, but because the actual characters were interesting and less two dimensional than a scrap of paper, so what they say sticks in the mind far better than the deliciously enjoyable and pointed exchanges of any political satire Armando Iannucci ever wrote, to pick one modern example. Very good, but exact moments have less staying power in the memory.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

I remember reading a story a few days ago about the US potentially asking their allies to beef up security at airports. Maybe the threat has become more credible?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    RobD said:

I remember reading a story a few days ago about the US potentially asking their allies to beef up security at airports. Maybe the threat has become more credible?
    When you look like me, airport security is always beefed up.

I wonder if it is ISIS getting bolder (see link 11)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Narses was kicking Ostrogothic arse well into his 80s.
  • Options
    Mr. M, bad example, I fear. Aside from Narses also being a duplicitous little bastard, he was given resources greater than Belisarius.

It would've probably been better for the Byzantines to just let the friendly Ostrogothic kingdom hang around instead of destroying it and buggering up the Exarchate by excessive taxation and bureaucracy.
  • Options
    Wow, tomorrow's Times' cartoon compares Ed to Julius Caesar, high praise

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrkPSMUIAAA2KjA.jpg:large
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926
    edited July 2014
    Plenty of misery for Labour in Eagles Top 23!

Re 12.I wonder whether Sarkozy will finish claiming asylum somewhere, LOL?
  • Options

RobD said:

Perhaps they are looking to reform the Byzantine empire!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233

Oh Jesus: Daughter flies to the US on Friday.

• Options
    Mr. Gin, there was a suggestion on the news that this might give le Pen a crack at the presidency. I doubt it. A few years ago her father got through to the last two but got hammered then.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I agree number 21 is incredibly funny
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Perhaps they are looking to reform the Byzantine empire!
    One of my friends pointed out to me today, that he says the role of Caliph in this new Caliphate is a bit like my plans for a Directly Elected Dictator.

He reckons I'd make a good Caliph, and use it as a stepping post to becoming the country's first Directly Elected Dictator
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, will probably just involve a slightly longer queue at the security checkpoint, so just make sure she gets to the airport nice and early. If she has a tight connection on the US side there may be more of a problem; I have been stranded in DC before for missing a connection due to an insane queue for both the customs and security.
  • Options
    Mr. D, *cough* unlikely, as the Byzantine Empire was a Christian theocracy (the Emperor was Equal of the Apostles and God's Vice-Gerent on Earth), which spent most of its history battling one caliphate or another...
  • Options
    #1 Certain policies e.g. unlimited mass immigration, EU, banksterism, windmills etc, are fixed for all of LibLabCon so we're in an odd political situation where because of those fixed policies the lobbyist's parties are all aiming to get the *least fewest* votes instead of the most votes.

Which is why politics is mostly about trivial stuff like how someone eats a bap.

#8 quite possible imo. as the native working class population disappears Lab's ethnic coalition is already splitting into different factions possibly allowing a non-Tory Tory to win the mayor's job. They wouldn't be able to do any Tory stuff though.

• Options
    Mr. M, sorry, being rather pedantic/argumentative. Only finishes the Justinian chapters a few days ago, and I'm not a Narses fan.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, will probably just involve a slightly longer queue at the security checkpoint, so just make sure she gets to the airport nice and early. If she has a tight connection on the US side there may be more of a problem; I have been stranded in DC before for missing a connection due to an insane queue for both the customs and security.
    Thank you. She flies into Newark from where she starts a 2-month round the US trip. I don't mind the security provided it WORKS. I confess that I won't stop worrying until I hear that she has landed safely.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited July 2014
    Wowsers...

The same person who leaked Panorama investigation into Lutfur Rahman to Rahman, also downloaded and handed over all the details covert military personnel (amongst other things).

Apparently the BBC team thought it is perfectly safe to a) store all this data together and b) store on dropbox (and from the report it wasn't encrypted either) c) give a un-trusted / inexperience person access to all of this.

It never ceases to amaze me how sloppy people are with data...that and tweeting to the world as if nobody will notice. You would have thought after wikileaks that anybody handling sensitive material wouldn't be a) securing it properly and b) not giving lackeys access to it.

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/484426986329501696
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    #5 - Much talk this week of Len's £11m UNITE gift to Labour and the Tory's billionaire garden party for donors,- but what has Clegg's party got in the campaign chest?

#20 - Awesome news, I've been Sherlocked...!
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Good evening everyone, just signing into nighthawks tonight to mention that Dimitrov, the guy who beat Murray today, has dated both Serena Williams and Sharapova - just in case anyone didn't know. That is all.
  • Options
    Sleazy broke Labour etc

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 9s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead back down to two points: CON 35%, LAB 37%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, that's quite depressing.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    YG Lab 37/Con 35/UKIP 12/LD 8. Usual comments apply...
  • Options

YG Lab 37/Con 35/UKIP 12/LD 8. Usual comments apply...

Yeah, never just look at one YouGov (or any poll) in isolation.
  • Options
    Also (apols if already reported), a Labour lead over SNP:
    http://labourlist.org/2014/07/labour-take-the-lead-in-holyrood-poll/
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Come the election Tim's team are gonna get pounded like a dockside hooker. The writing is on the wall and there are already murmers of discontent in the ranks. Ed was woeful at PMQ's, if he cannot win on the NHS, he really is fecked.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Wowsers...

The same person who leaked Panorama investigation into Lutfur Rahman to Rahman, also downloaded and handed over all the details covert military personnel (amongst other things).

Apparently the BBC team thought it is perfectly safe to a) store all this data together and b) store on dropbox (and from the report it wasn't encrypted either) c) give a un-trusted / inexperience person access to all of this.

It never ceases to amaze me how sloppy people are with data...that and tweeting to the world as if nobody will notice. You would have thought after wikileaks that anybody handling sensitive material wouldn't be a) securing it properly and b) not giving lackeys access to it.

One has to ask what the f*ck were the BBC doing in possession of secret military information in the first place? Either this story is rubbish or some people ought to be appearing in court.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MrJones said:

#1 Certain policies e.g. unlimited mass immigration, EU, banksterism, windmills etc, are fixed for all of LibLabCon so we're in an odd political situation where because of those fixed policies the lobbyist's parties are all aiming to get the *least fewest* votes instead of the most votes.

Which is why politics is mostly about trivial stuff like how someone eats a bap.

#8 quite possible imo. as the native working class population disappears Lab's ethnic coalition is already splitting into different factions possibly allowing a non-Tory Tory to win the mayor's job. They wouldn't be able to do any Tory stuff though.

"unlimited mass migration"? - evidence please of party policy.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014

Sleazy broke Labour etc

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead back down to two points: CON 35%, LAB 37%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%

Has BJO Baxtered the vote shares yet?

Or 'pouter claimed the resurrection of Basil?

Very grim for Labour. Almost silenced Nick Palmer.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

"Very grim for Labour"

Don't be ridiculous buddy!!!
  • Options

Mr. D, *cough* unlikely, as the Byzantine Empire was a Christian theocracy (the Emperor was Equal of the Apostles and God's Vice-Gerent on Earth), which spent most of its history battling one caliphate or another...

Sorry, the Byzantine Caliphate ;-)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

This poll Baxtered gives Lab a majority of 24.

Lab 337 seats, Con 277, LD 11, UKIP Zero.
  • Options
    Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 1m

I partly asked @JenniRsl to join @TimesOpinion for Lab friendly OpEds. Tmrw she writes: Miliband would be a disaster http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4137016.ece
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

<

Lol - just too busy to chatter: a nasty 13000-wordd translation of Lower Austria building regulations. Sample: "The routes of higher-level streets should be identified in the spatial allocation plan in accordance with § 15 (2) No 1 of the Lower Austria Spatial Planning Act 1976, but not specifically dedicated for the purpose." Fun stuff.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    The original BBC series of House of Cards is being shown in one night on the Drama Channel Saturday July 12
  • Options

AveryLP said:

<

Lol - just too busy to chatter: a nasty 13000-wordd translation of Lower Austria building regulations. Sample: "The routes of higher-level streets should be identified in the spatial allocation plan in accordance with § 15 (2) No 1 of the Lower Austria Spatial Planning Act 1976, but not specifically dedicated for the purpose." Fun stuff.
    Nick, are you still on your aol email account?

I have a suggestion for the PB meet at the Lab conference, wanted to email you my thoughts, if that's ok.
  • Options
    perdix said:

MrJones said:

"unlimited mass migration"? - evidence please of party policy.

the proof of the pudding is in the eating
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

Labour majority of 24 will be very grim for Avery and his ilk.
  • Options

Wowsers...

One has to ask what the f*ck were the BBC doing in possession of secret military information in the first place? Either this story is rubbish or some people ought to be appearing in court.
    Well I am pretty sure it isn't rubbish. They have already run the program about this military unit and we know that this individual took a big pile of data in relation to Rahman investigation. It now seems to be claimed that the person just dumped a big pile of it, and in there was the other much more sensitive investigation.

Are we surprised? Really? This is just yet another example of all sorts of organizations having appalling practices for handling data (sensitive or not).
  • Options

AveryLP said:

<

Architects should be restricted to using their pencils to draw not write.

Otherwise this happens:

“The site is located at a critical pivot, a node juxtaposed between two major orientations”, and “the inherent challenge is to express, represent and stimulate the values of a society constructed as an open-source system: a portal to a world that showcases the imbrications of a cultural melting pot.”

Even if it could be translated into English, it would be void of meaning.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited July 2014
    Kippers below 13 for the 3rd night in a row - first time since March.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

Labour majority of 24 will be very grim for Avery and his ilk.
    Great to see you back murali.

I have spent the evening admiring your arse. Not half as pert as Jack's though.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2014
    AveryLP said:

That never stopped anyone attempting to translate de Saussure, Barthes, Sartre, Derrida, Lacan, Althusser et al. into English...
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited July 2014
    Iraq:

Shia split...

So yesterday the tensions between Sunni tribes and ISIS were laid bare, Yet in the last 24 hours, the Iraqi governments forces have been engaged south east of Baghdad in the Shia herartlands slugging it out against the supporters of a radical Shia cleric, Ayatollah Sayed Sarkhi Hasani.

Hasani spat the dummy of big time Shia Ayatollah Sistani's and declares one of his own against the Maliki regime. Hasani doesn't do Iran and he doesn't like Maliki.

The clashes have gone as far as Maliki's forces going direct to Hasani's own doorstep.

In short its increasingly hard to know who exactly the Maliki government fully represent, other than Iran.

The US appear to adding more troops to the Baghdad green zone. I posted the other night about the possibility of an evacuation of personnel out to a more secure location. To do that is going to need the additional; firepower being brought in.

On the security stuff for airports, there is awareness that newer types of bombs are in circulation. The real reason for pushing the measures out now is because not so much of the explosives, but the movements of some of those with US & 'non-hostile' passports who could board flights to the US. What we don't know is if they have identified specific people or some people have left battlefields.
  • Options

I have a suggestion for the PB meet at the Lab conference, wanted to email you my thoughts, if that's ok.

Yes, and do!

• Options

Yes, and do!

Sent.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Wowsers...

Well I am pretty sure it isn't rubbish. They have already run the program about this military unit and we know that this individual took a big pile of data in relation to Rahman investigation. It now seems to be claimed that the person just dumped a big pile of it, and in there was the other much more sensitive investigation.

Are we surprised? Really? This is just yet another example of all sorts of organizations having appalling practices for handling data (sensitive or not).
    My eyes being what they are I have no chance of reading the picture on twitter. So I am short on detail. However, from what you say it would seem clear that there is prima facie evidence of crime against someone in the BBC and, possibly, elsewhere. After all the fuss the BBC has made about journalists breaking the law in recent years I expect they have already been on the 'phone to plod and Chris Patten will be getting a first report from the Director General in the morning.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

That never stopped anyone attempting to translate de Saussure, Barthes, Sartre, Derrida, Lacan, Althusser et al. into English...
    You don't read them in the original language?

That's Wadham for you.
  • Options
    Yougov. 2nd July 2013

lab 40, con 32, kip 13, LD 9
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    TGOHF said:

Yougov. 2nd July 2013

Are you trying to say that is swingback not in action?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yougov. 2nd July 2013

Tories the only party up since this time last year, whilst the other parties are down.

Interesting.
  • Options
    philiph said:

TGOHF said:

Yougov. 2nd July 2013

Are you trying to say that is swingback not in action?
    change in a year - Con +3, Lab -3
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

Sorry for delay Tonight YG lab 334 con 274 ld 16 other 26

Ed is crap is PM 301 days to go. Ed is crap is PM in every poll in Jun/July including Ashcroft crossover poll
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I'm off for the night, but thought I'd leave you with this amusing vignette...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbrJWtTAL0

A little dated, but still great :)
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

Ed is crap is PM 301 days to go. Ed is crap is PM in every poll in Jun/July including Ashcroft crossover poll
    But maj compared to the you gov from 12 months ago today ?

Like a car running out of petrol ...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It is marvelous. Ed seems at risk of losing his deposit!

Number 21 is the greatest link in nighthawks history, I've still not stopped laughing.

Check it out.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Wowsers...

My eyes being what they are I have no chance of reading the picture on twitter. So I am short on detail. However, from what you say it would seem clear that there is prima facie evidence of crime against someone in the BBC and, possibly, elsewhere. After all the fuss the BBC has made about journalists breaking the law in recent years I expect they have already been on the 'phone to plod and Chris Patten will be getting a first report from the Director General in the morning.
    It's ironic that the BBC, one of the most vociferous critics of phone hacking and all things Murdoch, sees nothing wrong in invading the privacy of military personnel and causing potential harm to them through its careless handling of sensitive information. I hope someone goes to prison over this, but won't be holding my breath.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    Guillem Balague (@GuillemBalague)
    02/07/2014 22:36
    As it stands Alexis not part of the deal for Suárez. But not definitive. Despite personal agreemnt with Arsenal, LFC hope to convince him
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yougov. 2nd July 2013

Well quite remarkably the You Gov site says

June 30 - July 1 (2013) 33 38 8 12 7 -5
    June 30 - July 1 (2014 33 38 8 11 9 -5

Now thats what I call swingback (cough)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

Wheras yesterdays poll is exactly the same as a year earlier see my previous post. Absolutely Zero movement
  • Options
    Bed Time for me.

Mrs BJO is demanding I "turn that damn laptop off and get up them dancers"

Night all maybe tomorrow will produce a poll where Ed is crap is not PM
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The failure to tackle female genital mutilation (FGM) is a "national scandal" with as many as 170,000 victims in the UK, MPs have said.

Failures by ministers, police and other agencies have led to the "preventable mutilation of thousands of girls", the Home Affairs Committee said.

It blamed a "misplaced concern for cultural sensitivities" for inaction, and called for a national action plan."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28127678
  • Options

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

Wheras yesterdays poll is exactly the same as a year earlier see my previous post. Absolutely Zero movement
    A bit much to compare two arbitrary opinion polls. The trend is more informative:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Sleazy broke Labour etc

A bit much to compare two arbitrary opinion polls. The trend is more informative:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
    Unfortunately not been updated since 5th June..

• Options
    EtothepiiEtothepii Posts: 1
    Anyone know where I can bet on Nick Clegg for EU commissioner?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
  • Options
    Tour de France — Betfair markets:

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/cycling/market?id=1.111308163#id=1.112627958

Winner:

Froome 2.06
    Contador 3.35
    Nibali 14.5
    Valverde 32
    Talansky 40
    Van Garderen 65
    Costa 75
    Porte 85
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Another great selection by TSE. Number 19 is brill - Ed Balls should study it.

No 23: Hmm, I wouldn't say it's controversial. More a case of a very disagreeable but unfortunately necessary decision by a great leader. For all his flaws, Churchill got the big picture right, and this is one example. It's not too much of an exaggeration to say it was the turning point: after this, the world realised that Britain was serious.
  • Options

No 23: Hmm, I wouldn't say it's controversial. More a case of a very disagreeable but unfortunately necessary decision by a great leader. For all his flaws, Churchill got the big picture right, and this is one example. It's not too much of an exaggeration to say it was the turning point: after this, the world realised that Britain was serious.

Oh Sir Winston did the right thing.

Sinking the French navy in peacetime is acceptable, in war it is mandatory.

• Options

It's interesting that, from his History of WWII, this is the one decision which seems to have caused him anguish.

An extraordinary man for extraordinary times.
  • Options
    Nerd question: I thought the deal in parliament was that you had to address the Speaker. So how come Ed could say this to Cameron in PMQs today?

"You promised the reorganisation in the NHS would make things better - it's made things worse. Worse on access to cancer treatment, worse on A&E waits, worse on GP access, the NHS is getting worse on your watch. And there's only one person to blame and it's you”
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Lol, panic on the streets of YouGov.
    As BobaFett might say 'look at the trend!!'
  • Options

Nerd question: I thought the deal in parliament was that you had to address the Speaker. So how come Ed could say this to Cameron in PMQs today?

"You promised the reorganisation in the NHS would make things better - it's made things worse. Worse on access to cancer treatment, worse on A&E waits, worse on GP access, the NHS is getting worse on your watch. And there's only one person to blame and it's you”

Eds an idiot and Bercow doesn't care?
  • Options
    Robert Peston — "Why has Google cast me into oblivion?"

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    AndyJS said:

Winner:

Froome 2.06
    Contador 3.35
    Nibali 14.5
    Valverde 32
    Talansky 40
    Van Garderen 65
    Costa 75
    Porte 85

It'll either be Froome or Contador, Froome looked slightly vulnerable at Romandie - I'm staying out - Have Froome to win the Tour 5 times (4 more) @ 20-1 with ladbrokes.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Robert Peston — "Why has Google cast me into oblivion?"

Robert Peston - why won't they let me fellate Breznhevs corpse?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470

It's interesting that, from his History of WWII, this is the one decision which seems to have caused him anguish.

An extraordinary man for extraordinary times.
    The French only lost a battleship Bretagne at Mers el Kebir, albeit with heavy loss of life. Many more vessels were lost on 27th Nov 1942 at Toulon when they scuttled what remained of their fleet to stop the Germans getting their hands on them. This was in the wake of the German occupation of Vichy in response to the Allies' Operation Torch in North Africa on 8th Nov 1942.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_French_fleet_in_Toulon
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France-Pakistan_relations
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Winner:

Froome 2.06
    Contador 3.35
    Nibali 14.5
    Valverde 32
    Talansky 40
    Van Garderen 65
    Costa 75
    Porte 85

It'll either be Froome or Contador, Froome looked slightly vulnerable at Romandie - I'm staying out - Have Froome to win the Tour 5 times (4 more) @ 20-1 with ladbrokes.
    But if Froome breaks a collarbone in the third week (for example) Porte should still be up there. No idea about the prices, but I think its going to be a cracking race.

This is a very interesting piece:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/cyclist-chris-froome-is-right-in-the-eye-of-the-storm-30391816.html

Nothing but admiration for Paul Kimmage
  • Options
    A big thank you to TSE for the ED M Tinder link.
    It has given me a really good laugh on an otherwise dull night shift.
    On the TdF, agree that it is more open than the last couple of years after seeing Froomy not looking so great on the Dauphine.
    Valverde could be a good pick for the podium.
  • Options
    on 19. I get quite frustrated with English media's reporting of Japan. I was interested to find out which party this lad belonged to, but had to watch the video, figure out his name in kanji when search japanese wikipedia..

would it be too much for japan correspondents to type "who stands as an independent" or "representing the unpopular Nishinomiya restoration party as its only representative" or something?

Sad to say, to some degree, the media people just don't care, and "uh uh uh japanese man crying funny uh uh". Really would be nice if they engaged a bit more.

Having said all that. It was quite a performance. At least all those onsen visits have him looking pretty youthful at 47.
  • Options

On the TdF, agree that it is more open than the last couple of years after seeing Froomy not looking so great on the Dauphine.

Wonder what the odds are on Wiggo for next year (riding for Garmin). (I don't think he'll go for the GC, but Garmin looks like a strong possibility).

Stage 1 looking tasty. Cavendish? tantrums in the bus if he doesn't I'd guess
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Daily Mail have gone big on what they call "a ticking timebomb that could shake Westminster". This could get very awkward for all sorts of people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2678576/Leon-Brittans-faulty-memory-ticking-timebomb-shake-Westminster-Tory-peer-faces-questions-1980s-files-complied-MP-Geoffrey-Dickens-Westminster-paedophile-ring.html
  • Options

Wonder what the odds are on Wiggo for next year (riding for Garmin). (I don't think he'll go for the GC, but Garmin looks like a strong possibility).

Quite possible with Wiggo moving to Garmin he did say something about his mate Vaughters a little while ago.
    Kittel is shorter price for Stage 1 iirc.
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2678376/Google-deletes-MailOnline-searches-lying-referee-right-forgotten-kicks-European-searches.html

"'MailOnline intends to regularly publish lists of articles deleted from Google's European search results so people can keep track of what has been deleted."

Good on them.
  • Options

Quite possible with Wiggo moving to Garmin he did say something about his mate Vaughters a little while ago.
    head says Kittel, but hope Cavendish can do it
  • Options
    Labour ( Peter Madeley ) won first seat on Craven District Council (Skipton west) for 15 yrs
  • Options

Labour ( Peter Madeley ) won first seat on Craven District Council (Skipton west) for 15 yrs

Congratulations and welcome to the board.

• Options

head says Kittel, but hope Cavendish can do it
    Agreed. would love to see Cav in yellow when the peloton charges past me at Epping on Monday.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

I think I've seen this sort of thing before, I think newspapers change quotes from third to first person to make it more exciting f
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Well done Councillor on blowing your own trumpet on your first PB post. You'll fit in nicely on PB.

However disgracefully you omitted all the juicy campaign details and the scores on the doors for the candidates and new council make-up.

Such dereliction of duty on PB from elected personages leads to exile on ConHome for a week for a first offence.

Must do better.

This discussion has been closed.