Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s keeping YES hopes alive in the #IndyRef – the pollin

2»

Comments

• Options

Mr. Pubgoer, indeed. It's an excellent work. As a child I enjoyed the Yes, Minister diaries (I forget if Yes, Prime Minister was included), although the TV series is even better.

"As a child", dear God the nursing home beckons. Steady on, Mr. Dancer, not all of us are prepared to be confronted with our advancing years in such blatant terms, especially at this time of the evening. You could at least try and soften the blow a bit.
    TBF I was a teenager when Yes PM started on the tv.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,047
    Mr. Llama, don't feel too bad. Old people aren't entirely useless. Consider that Caesar did his best work in his latter days, and likewise Antigonus Monopthalmus, and Seleucus.

Incidentally, it's hoped that Malevolence will be released in the next fortnight or so (e-book version first, then the physical edition).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,765

Mr. Pubgoer, indeed. It's an excellent work. As a child I enjoyed the Yes, Minister diaries (I forget if Yes, Prime Minister was included), although the TV series is even better.

"As a child", dear God the nursing home beckons. Steady on, Mr. Dancer, not all of us are prepared to be confronted with our advancing years in such blatant terms, especially at this time of the evening. You could at least try and soften the blow a bit.

I believe I was one year old when Yes Minister began.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited July 2014

@MrJones

"The third-largest energy-consuming industry is nonmetallic minerals, which includes cement, glass, brick, and ceramics"

All four products are essential in housebuilding, which HMG is desperately trying to encourage. A plan to encourage the products use whilst at the same time driving their production off-shore, to the detriment of jobs, balance of trade and the nations wealth whilst doing nothing about saving the planet (well, actually increasing the dreaded emissions), must be the most egregious example of government stupidity since the Crimean War. Yet politicians wonder why they are held in such contempt.

totally

"actually increasing the dreaded emissions"

If they'd spent the same money on making UK plants the most energy efficient we'd have less emissions, more efficient industries and be able to sell the more efficient technologies.

(edit: bit like lean-burn engines vs catalytic converters)

I'm beginning to think that if political decisions are made by which lobbyists spend the most money then you *always* get the worst possible option because it's the lobbyists who know their option is the worst one that spend the most money on buying politicians. The people with the best option don't buy the politicians because they know their option is the best.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,047
    Mr. JS, is there a misandrist inside every woman?

I grow tired of this quaint notion that fellopian tubes convey pure goodness to orbs of light and wonder called ovaries, whereas the tallywhacker is a repository of wickedness and idiocy.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all, I caught a comment this morning by a new (to me anyway) poster saying his workforce in North Lanarkshire are solidly NO Labour voters. I'm not entirely surprised. It is the last bastion of 1970s style bolshie Labour where no-one dares fart without the union's permission.

By contrast I work with a company based in the Lothians in traditional mining territory where the Labour MP weighed his vote. The production staff appear to be solidly YES Labour voters whereas the office and technical staff are solidly NO Labour voters.

As for the polls, the YES campaigners I know don't frankly give a toss what the polls say. They are fanatical YES supporters and even if NO wins they will think the vote has been fixed by their opponents.

With 80 days to go the IndyRef is becoming very bitter. I really despair of any sort of coming together afterwards regardless of how the vote goes. I have heard of people who have stopped talking to family members because they are on the opposite side. It may quieten down a bit in July because the main holidays in Scotland have now begun but come mid August, the last 4 weeks are going to be horrible with increasingly desperate insults being hurled by both sides.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I dare say you were, Mr. PubGoer, but that is no excuse for Mr Dancer's brutal reminder of the passing of time. He could have softened it by saying something on the lines of "As a young man I remember"

P.S. On the up side I now have a vision of Morris Dancer as a precocious, be-spectacled child reading the green bound books (Yes Minister were green and Yes Prime Minister were bound in red) by torchlight under the bed-covers.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Carnyx said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

BBC - Dickens dossier has "gone missing".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28125537

There's a surprise.

Given that covering up for child-molesting MPs is standard practice it makes me wonder how many of the big children's home investigations that were borked like Islington, North wales etc were borked because an MP or three were involved.

If sex crimes are only partly about sex crimes and partly about sociopaths indulging in a diluted form of serial killing then you'd expect groups with a high percentage of sociopaths to have a disproportionate involvement in such crimes.
    To be pedantic, it's spelt burked with an u, after Burke and Hare who murdered poor Edinburgh folk, including Irish immigrants IIRC, to sell to the racist anatomist Robert Knox. So it's a very appropriate expression for you to use, especially as he, being upper class, got away with only a few broken windows (but admittedly a trashed reputation) and Burke got hung!

1) i spell it with an "o".
    2) weren't Burke and Hare Irish immigrants too?
    3) touchy
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    AndyJS said:

"Is there a misogynist inside every man?

Few men would freely admit to being a misogynist, but are we all guilty of misogynistic behaviour, asks Tom Fordy - and if so, how do we change our ways?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10924854/Is-there-a-misogynist-inside-every-man.html

In my experience the real hard line misogynists are women.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    murali_s said:

O/T Murali's Election Forecast (MEF)

Based on June opinion polls, swingback, UKIP decline, LD improvement and some randomness.

Headline: Very hung parliament.

Cons 298, Lab 295, LD 29, UKIP 0, Other 28.

Probability of Con majority - 0%, probability of Lab majority - 0%, probability of NOM - 100 % (Con largest party 64%).

Probability of LD getting more votes than UKIP 72%

Next MEF in early August.

Probability of NOM 100%? Sounds like you aren't building enough randomness into your forecast I'm afraid. But since there is more than evens being offered on a hung parliament, I trust you're filling your boots like there's no tomorrow.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,765
    New Thread
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. Llama, don't feel too bad. Old people aren't entirely useless. Consider that Caesar did his best work in his latter days...

You are not helping your cause here, Mr. D. Caesar was dead at 55, that is rather younger than I and a other regulars on this site. As for, "Old people aren't entirely useless", well I am just speechless.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Pulpstar said:

Will Braveheart be on the Telly on September 12th ?

Braveheart is the most historically innacurate film in cinematic history.
    Worse than U571??
This discussion has been closed.