Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s keeping YES hopes alive in the #IndyRef – the pollin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s keeping YES hopes alive in the #IndyRef – the polling experience of Holyrood 2011

Why I'm not going all-in betting on NO in #IndyRef
Look at difference between final polls & result Holyrood 2011 pic.twitter.com/yX6YZ2Y9M6

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited July 2014
    Och aye the first!

[it's easier when TSE doesn't cheat]
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Hoo Noo Brown Murray
  • Options
    Will Braveheart be on the Telly on September 12th ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    Pulpstar said:

To keep the No side happy? They're the only ones who ever mention it!

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    What were yougov showing 3 months before the 2011 elections and what was the actual result?

*Innocent Face*
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Did the polling companies look into their failure? What was the reason? Have they adapted their polls since?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Anorak said:

Och aye the first!

[it's easier when TSE doesn't cheat]

You will rue the day accusing me of cheating.

I'll have you know when I come first it's all down to me because I'm quick [ooh err accidental innuendo klaxon alert]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TOPPING said:

British/English sport - dead or dying

So here's the thing. It has long been in my mind to assess "top nation".

Take 10 team sports and via some complex weighting system determine which nation is best overall. Some debate would need to be had regarding what constitutes a team sport. So for example the US would I imagine score well at Baseball and Ba

My initial list is:

Football
    Rugby
    Cricket
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Hockey (Field)
    Hockey (Ice)
    Netball
    Waterpolo
    Polo
    So far as I can work out...

Football - Spain (Yes they flopped at the World cup but they're recent World/Euro Cup victories and still ranked #1).

Rugby Union - NZ (League Australia)

Cricket - Australia

Baseball - USA

Basketball - USA

Hockey (Field) - Australia

Hockey (Ice) - Canada Sweden

Netball - Australia

Waterpolo - Serbia

Polo - Argentina
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    fpt also

Yes, Australia would appear to have a shout but then England would be (at various times) ok in the cricket and rugby also plus would place (eg. in the polo) so I don't think it would be as simple as to count up the No 1s - perhaps a moving average..?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Braveheart is the most historically innacurate film in cinematic history.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    A substantial shift is certainly possible, although one data point is not sufficient to demonstrate that any shift would necessarily be in favour of the Yes side.

I don't think it's likely, though. The fundamental flaws of the Yes case are just so enormous; concerns over job losses, the currency, the EU, pensions, the financial services sector, and all those other important questions which seem to have come as a complete surprise to Alex Salmond, are not going to go away.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    An election electing a government/parliament is a totally different kettle of fish to a referendum on Independence .
    The choice is so clear and stark that most minds have been made up months if not years ago and will not change bar some unforeseen major event .
    Yes has been toast for months and will remain so in the next 3 months .
  • Options
    @Pulpstar:

Wine-tasting: England
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt also

Yes, Australia would appear to have a shout but then England would be (at various times) ok in the cricket and rugby also plus would place (eg. in the polo) so I don't think it would be as simple as to count up the No 1s - perhaps a moving average..?

The UK is also the undisputed world champion at World Wars and Empire Building

• Options

And in other news a Scottish Labour candidate (who I think is female but also appears to have a moustache, probably in fulfilment of some quota or other) has quit after misbehaving.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/labour-candidate-resigns-over-hitler-youth-tweet-1-3462378

rcs1000 said:

Agreed on Highgate. Highgate New Town, which is solidly Labour, is not part of H&WG. I don't think Gospel Oak is part of the constituency, but that is most definitely Labour as well - there is a huge council estate slap bang in the middle of it.

The nicer part of Gospel Oak is part of the constituency! As Camden, Belsize Park, Chalk Farm, Shoreditch, Clapham, etc have become more expensive, it's become one of the classic places for 'first job post University' students to move to. While these are probably more left-leaning than 40 year old hedge fund managers in Highgate, they are less left-leaning than the people they are displacing.

I'd love to see a constituency map as I am struggling to work out how any part of Gospel Oak gets into H&WG. But on the basis that it does, I am not sure that London behaves entirely the same way as other parts of the country in terms of property price and voting correlation. I also think that sometimes it's easy to forget the extent of the council estates that exist even in the most affluent areas. Chalk Farm, Gospel Oak, Highgate and even EdM's Dartmouth Park are prime examples. A five bedroomed, £3 million town house might equate to two Tory voters. A small block of council flats essentially taking up the same space might give you 10 Labour voters. You could find both on the same block.

Voting proportionate to property owned would seem a fair solution to this gerrymandering. One vote for the block of flats, one vote for the townhouse.
    In a earlier FB (I think) conversation dug up on Wings, the Angus Labour lady got a wee bit aerated about foreign residents having a vote in the referendum when "born" [but, I assume, non-resident] "Scots with Scottish property and interests do not". Never thought I'd see a Labour activist apparently favouring the return of the property qualification for voting!!

And thank you to OGH for highlighting this issue of Yougov weighting - I'll be interested to see whether any of the other pollsters respond.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The UK is also the undisputed world champion at World Wars and Empire Building.''

Us white people are very good at playing divide and conquer, apparently.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    FPT
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

"The government is exploring emergency measures to kick-start house-building, amid an expected decrease in new build this year, BBC Newsnight has learned."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28114463

OK, Smarmy. You have earned a stay of execution.

Dwelling starts for England only from 2010 to end of last fiscal year are:
    DCLG [LiveTable208.xlsx]         
    Total Permanent Dwellings Started
    (All Dwellings - Private, Housing
    Association & Local Authority)
    =================================
    England
    ---------------------------------
    2010-11 111,150
    2011-12 109,570
    2012-13 R 101,670
    2013-14 P 133,650
    All recent indicators (e.g. today's Markit Construction PMI) are suggesting Private Sector residential building construction is accelerating. It should be noted that of the 133,650 starts last year over 81% were private enterprise builds.

Residential construction remained the best performing area of activity during June. The latest rise in housing activity was the steepest since January.

The outlook over a twelve month timescale also looks strong:

Volumes of new work received by UK construction companies increased sharply in June and at the fastest pace since January.

I don't doubt the existence of an internal DCLG document nor that the BBC have got hold of a copy. What I question is the 4% shortfall projection and, even in the unlikely event that it were it true, its political significance.

I suspect it is no more than a mid-summer jolly boating weather exhortation to:

Swing swing together,
    With your bodies between your knees

The problem with housebuilding doesn't lie in the private sector which is building at record levels when measured as a proportion to housing sales transactions and will continue to increase output as liquidity and volume in the housing market fully recovers.

The problem is in finding a business model and source of finance for housing association and local authority builds of 'low cost' dwellings.

The Coalition has built more Local Authority dwellings in its first four years than Labour did in its 13 years of government between 1997-2010 and average annual Housing Association builds are also higher (21k vs 19k), but the numbers for both governments fall far short of long term need.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Braveheart is the most historically film in cinematic history.
    Something missing? Crap?

Well, it's not the Yes side who keep on about it.

Seriously, though, I've always thought it was simply a modern version of those verse epics and ballads by the likes of Blind Harry - a bit reminiscent of the Arthurian story with not just Arthur's whatever but Wallace's Cave etc all over the place.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    TOPPING said:

fpt also

TOPPING said:

Take 10 team sports and via some complex weighting system determine which nation is best overall. Some debate would need to be had regarding what constitutes a team sport. So for example the US would I imagine score well at Baseball and Ba

My initial list is:

Football
    Rugby
    Cricket
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Hockey (Field)
    Hockey (Ice)
    Netball
    Waterpolo
    Polo
    England/GBR -> Australia. Or the comparison that really matters...

World rankings for England / Australia... (Men's sports except Netball)

Football - England 10th; Australia 62

Rugby Union - Aus 3rd; England 4th (League Aus 1; England 3)

Cricket - Australia 1st; England 5th (Both Test and ODI, T20 isn't "real" cricket" !)

Baseball - Aus 14th; (GBR 24th)

Basketball - Aus 9th; England ~20th

Hockey (Field) - Australia 1st; England 5th

Hockey (Ice) - GBR 22; Aus 34

Netball - Australia 1st; England 3rd

Waterpolo - Aus 9th Eng (GBR) 22nd

Polo - Eng 5th; Aus 7th

Tally as to who is ahead: Aus 7, Eng 3

Totals (Lower is better) Aus 141; England 122

Perhaps we truly are the jacks of all sports but masters of none ?

I suspect our FIFA world ranking might drop tbh...

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

fpt also

TOPPING said:

My initial list is:

Football
    Rugby
    Cricket
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Hockey (Field)
    Hockey (Ice)
    Netball
    Waterpolo
    Polo
    England/GBR -> Australia. Or the comparison that really matters...

World rankings for England / Australia... (Men's sports except Netball)

Football - England 10th; Australia 62

Rugby Union - Aus 3rd; England 4th (League Aus 1; England 3)

Cricket - Australia 1st; England 5th (Both Test and ODI, T20 isn't "real" cricket" !)

Baseball - Aus 14th; (GBR 24th)

Basketball - Aus 9th; England ~20th

Hockey (Field) - Australia 1st; England 5th

Hockey (Ice) - GBR 22; Aus 34

Netball - Australia 1st; England 3rd

Waterpolo - Aus 9th Eng (GBR) 22nd

Polo - Eng 5th; Aus 7th

Tally as to who is ahead: Aus 7, Eng 3

Totals (Lower is better) Aus 141; England 122

Perhaps we truly are the jacks of all sports but masters of none ?

I suspect our FIFA world ranking might drop tbh...

Excellent! (Both your research/effort and the results.)

V interesting indeed! We rock! But yes, not master of anything atm.
  • Options

An election electing a government/parliament is a totally different kettle of fish to a referendum on Independence .
    The choice is so clear and stark that most minds have been made up months if not years ago and will not change bar some unforeseen major event .
    Yes has been toast for months and will remain so in the next 3 months .

Have you seen the polling changes when a prospective Conservative Gov't is put to the Scots ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pulpstar said:

Nah, that accolade goes to The Patriot

From wiki...

The film takes place during the real-life events of the Southern theater of the American Revolutionary War but attracted controversy over its fictional portrayal of historical figures and atrocities. Professor Mark Glancy, teacher of film history at Queen Mary, University of London has said: "It's horrendously inaccurate and attributes crimes committed by the Nazis in the 1940s to the British in the 1770s."
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

TOPPING said:

fpt also

Thanks to the Pitcairn islands, the sun still does not set on (what is left of) the empire:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/48/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    A grumpy, green ogre is the latest celebrity to chip in on the Scottish Independence debate. Sort of.

In an interview on Radio 4's Today programme to plug his directorial debut, comedian Mike Myers revealed what he thought about an independent Scotland – as well as what Shrek the ogre thinks.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/02/mike-myers-asked-would-shrek-vote-for-an-independent-scotland

I always thought Shrek was Eck's style guru. Have you noticed he wears tartan trews...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

fpt also

Thanks to the Pitcairn islands, the sun still does not set on (what is left of) the empire:

Nassar is supposed to have remarked that 'the sun never sets on the British Empire because god doesn't trust the British in the dark.....'
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

fpt also

Nassar is supposed to have remarked that 'the sun never sets on the British Empire because god doesn't trust the British in the dark.....'
    Ironically our home is one of the cloudiest places on Earth!
  • Options
    65% of British people say the appointment of Jean-Claude Juncker as EU president was out of David Cameron’s hands – and most people think he was right to vote against him, even if it was unsuccessful

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/07/02/camerons-reputation-unharmed-juncker-defeat/
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Something missing? Crap?

Seriously, though, I've always thought it was simply a modern version of those verse epics and ballads by the likes of Blind Harry - a bit reminiscent of the Arthurian story with not just Arthur's whatever but Wallace's Cave etc all over the place.

Innacurate.

Written and directed by a drunk anti Semite who hates the English.

I was shocked that in The Passion of the Christ, Jesus McChrist wasn't crucified by the bastard English.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

From wiki...

The film takes place during the real-life events of the Southern theater of the American Revolutionary War but attracted controversy over its fictional portrayal of historical figures and atrocities. Professor Mark Glancy, teacher of film history at Queen Mary, University of London has said: "It's horrendously inaccurate and attributes crimes committed by the Nazis in the 1940s to the British in the 1770s."
    There's a connection between the two films. Can't quite put my finger on it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Another inaccuracy in the film is Tarletons troops. These highly effective troops were recruited in Philidelphia and New York from Loyalist Americans.

http://madmonarchist.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/monarchist-profile-banastre-tarleton.html?m=1

So who were the patriots?
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

From wiki...

• Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Will the useful Leicestershire fast bowler swing the Scottish ref?
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

Pulpstar said:

Don't spoil it for wee Malkie. Along with Highlander he thinks it's a documentary.

Incidentally MalcolmG - I just want you to know that I feel the appropriate measure of sympathy with you over Scotland's failure today at Wmbldn.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Something missing? Crap?

Innacurate.

Written and directed by a drunk anti Semite who hates the English.

I was shocked that in The Passion of the Christ, Jesus McChrist wasn't crucified by the bastard English.

I bow to your filmic expertise in general, but in this very specific instance a little checking does tend to confirm my memory that Blind Harry was at least one of the sources, including the testimony of the scriptwriter himself (not the director, or so it seems). And BH is pretty dodgy history.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2014

TOPPING said:

fpt also

Only World Wars? I think we also hold the record for 'Most Nations Warred Against'. There's also not many countries that have invaded Russia AND China. Great Britain, putting the 'B' into Belligerent.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Some real polling howlers there for the Holyrood 2011 vote. – have they since been tweaked?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088

65% of British people say the appointment of Jean-Claude Juncker as EU president was out of David Cameron’s hands – and most people think he was right to vote against him, even if it was unsuccessful

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/07/02/camerons-reputation-unharmed-juncker-defeat/

Well, given that Cameron chose to heavily spin against him,and ensure that most of the British Press slavishly followed the PM's line, is that surprising?

Cameron set up Juncker as "undesirable" with little or no evidence, purely so that he could have a fight, which he knew he'd lose, and thus portray himself as the "hero" battling against the massed baddies of Brussels.There was no principle involved, only a desire by Cameron to be seen as "doing something" about Europe in a pathetic attempt to get the Kippers back into the Tory fold!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The ONS released its Economic Review this morning, which often provides interesting commentary based on a full range of the previous month's individual bulletins.

I highlight just one of its key points for the month, on the housing market:

Average UK house prices in April 2014 were around 6.5% above their pre-downturn peak, although much of this increase is concentrated in London. However, despite this recent rise, households continued to deleverage in Q1 2014. The stock of long term loans as a percentage of gross households’ disposable income has fallen from 133% in 2008 to 118% at the start of 2014.

It was rapid expansion and poor risk management in mortgage lending combined with rampant house price inflation in the early noughties which broke Gordon's promise of "no boom or bust".

One without the other is much less dangerous, and, with recent indicators that heat is being taken out of current house price inflation, the prospects for an extended period of low bank rate have increased.

It is Carney's policy to dampen house price rises through public warning, bank regulation and financial risk management leaving him free to use monetary policy solely to maintain low inflation, encourage high employment and support broader economic growth.

So far he is succeeding.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Well, given that Cameron chose to heavily spin against him,and ensure that most of the British Press slavishly followed the PM's line, is that surprising?

Cameron set up Juncker as "undesirable" with little or no evidence, purely so that he could have a fight, which he knew he'd lose, and thus portray himself as the "hero" battling against the massed baddies of Brussels.There was no principle involved, only a desire by Cameron to be seen as "doing something" about Europe in a pathetic attempt to get the Kippers back into the Tory fold!
    Rofl - are you the only one who knows the 'truth'? Don't tell or the polls might turn against Cameron:))
  • Options
    felix said:

Rofl - are you the only one who knows the 'truth'? Don't tell or the polls might turn against Cameron:))
    Rofl to you too! Read it in the lees of some Luxembourgish wine!

I don't THINK I'm the only one who reads it this way! Might be on this board I suppose!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2014
    BBC - Dickens dossier has "gone missing".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28125537
  • Options
    edited July 2014

felix said:

I don't THINK I'm the only one who reads it this way! Might be on this board I suppose!
    If "Cameron set up Juncker as 'undesirable'" perhaps you can explain why Nick Clegg agreed with all of Mr Cameron's objections to him?
  • Options

felix said:

If "Cameron set up Juncker as 'undesirable' perhaps you can explain why Nick Clegg agreed with all of Mr Cameron's objections to him?
    TBH, no. Surprised me somewhat, but just maybe NC is trying to keep onside with DC. Having said that, NC HAS met, and IIRC, worked with the man.
  • Options

felix said:

If "Cameron set up Juncker as 'undesirable' perhaps you can explain why Nick Clegg agreed with all of Mr Cameron's objections to him?
    I think OKC had too much cognac for breakfast.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

felix said:

It's after 6pm - I shall be joining him shortly. ; )
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    We were talking about Wales earlier, this piece of news will no doubt add to Labour's vote share:

"Around 400 jobs are to go at the Tata steelmaking plant in Port Talbot, the company has announced."

Why?

"The company spends £60m on electricity in Wales alone, and pays about 40% more for the electricity than competitors in continental Europe."

Good old Miliband's energy policy. Still we can hold our head up high in the international community and be proud that we are leading the way in saving the planet. Those 400 families will I am sure be grateful for being given the place of honour in the forefront of our battle against climate change. Life on the dole in South Wales will be warmed by the pride of the sacrifice they have made.

No spokesman for other European steel makers were available for comment mainly becuase they couldn't speak for laughing.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

felix said:

It's after 6pm - I shall be joining him shortly. ; )
    Bacon sandwich while attaching cricket. No cognac. Good thought though! Might take some next time!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908

Wonder what % dont give a toss and what % know anything about Junker?

Little Englanders and the right wing press get excited about this sort of thing
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

We were talking about Wales earlier, this piece of news will no doubt add to Labour's vote share:

"Around 400 jobs are to go at the Tata steelmaking plant in Port Talbot, the company has announced."

Why?

"The company spends £60m on electricity in Wales alone, and pays about 40% more for the electricity than competitors in continental Europe."

Good old Miliband's energy policy. Still we can hold our head up high in the international community and be proud that we are leading the way in saving the planet. Those 400 families will I am sure be grateful for being given the place of honour in the forefront of our battle against climate change. Life on the dole in South Wales will be warmed by the pride of the sacrifice they have made.

No spokesman for other European steel makers were available for comment mainly becuase they couldn't speak for laughing.

I guess it's a good thing that Ed resisted the Tories' calls to go further with the Climate Change Act in 2008.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    The 2011 elections were a different case, the SNP were still consistently ahead by the end of the campaign, Yes has led to lead a poll. They were also the incumbent government, not a movement asking to abandon 300 years of history since the Act of Union
  • Options
    Kyrgios wins 1st set vs Raonic and HenryG lands two winners out of three today - pity he wasn't around for the earlier stages of Wimbledon.
    Thanks Henry.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear Murray went out today, but his relatively early exit, coupled with England's in the World Cup, could be the best thing for the Union, ensuring no breakout of English or Scottish nationalism. There is also still the US Open, which he won before Wimbledon and would have less impact. Interestingly, his best performance this year was at the French Open, supposedly his weakest surface where he made the semis, in the other grand slam in Australia he also went out in the quarters
  • Options

Wonder what % dont give a toss and what % know anything about Junker?

Little Englanders and the right wing press get excited about this sort of thing
    And Miliband got it completely wrong.....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

Pulpstar said:

But it was a good yarn all the same TSE, especially if you had had a few beers.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    So... voting 'No' - it's a pretty big thing. A fight against your tradition, a fight against everything passionate, a fight against who you are. But.. the right vote is a Scottish passionate vote for sense. The referendum gives all Scots the right to choose. From 2014 you'll be leading the Union rather than otherwise. This vote is a vote to be IN!

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Something missing? Crap?

Seriously when you think of the number of versions of Robin Hood, Ivanhoe , etc it is just pathetic that people whinge about it. I never get fed up of Robin Hood. The same whingers probably watch Die Hard etc multiple times and think they are real.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Pulpstar said:

Don't spoil it for wee Malkie. Along with Highlander he thinks it's a documentary.

Incidentally MalcolmG - I just want you to know that I feel the appropriate measure of sympathy with you over Scotland's failure today at Wmbldn.
    You will find Murray lives in Surrey and plays for GB. The clout of the union helped him today.

PS. One day hopefully I can give you the Malky.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Something missing? Crap?

Seriously when you think of the number of versions of Robin Hood, Ivanhoe , etc it is just pathetic that people whinge about it. I never get fed up of Robin Hood. The same whingers probably watch Die Hard etc multiple times and think they are real.
    Balladry is history written (or sung by the defeated!
  • Options

Some real polling howlers there for the Holyrood 2011 vote. – have they since been tweaked?

Yes, but not in the right direction.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Shock and awe.Dennis Skinner has been voted off Labour's NEC.Whatever next?Will Gibraltar will be ceded to Spain?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Khazakstan? Is that the tenth?
  • Options
    OldKingCole And Sweden and Luxembourg surprisingly plus a few in north West Africa, the old French Empire and Guatemala
  • Options
    Charles (previous thread)

'I do hope they choose Chukka.

I can't imagine a more self-inflated empty suit.'

Could easily have substituted Obama for Chukka in 2008, or indeed Cameron in 2005!

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Evening MrG - you maybe right, but on that score we'll have to wait and see..! ; )
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OldKingCole And Sweden and Luxembourg surprisingly plus a few in north West Africa, the old French Empire and Guatemala

Doesn't sending troops into Germany via Luxembourg in WWII count? Can't believe that we haven't had troops there in one or other of the European wars.

Guatemala; don't pirates count, either? Surely Drake or Raleigh pillaged a Spanish settlement there at some point?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Why?

@HurstLama
    The other reason is the huge business rates.

"Chief executive Karl Koehler said the changes were vital if the company was to remain competitive.

He pointed to the UK's high business rates and "uncompetitive" energy costs as factors in the decision."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28104757

If costs remain to be so uncompetitive, it is highly likely that all steel-making will disappear from the UK and much of western Europe and we will have to source our requirements from Asia.
  • Options
    colcanopete Skinner was also off in '98, back in '99 with Blair's backing
  • Options
    Financier said:

Why?

@HurstLama

"Chief executive Karl Koehler said the changes were vital if the company was to remain competitive.

He pointed to the UK's high business rates and "uncompetitive" energy costs as factors in the decision."

If costs remain to be so uncompetitive, it is highly likely that all steel-making will disappear from the UK and much of western Europe and we will have to source our requirements from Asia.
    So no actual saving of the planet then? Just exporting jobs and prosperity. Isn't it wonderful that are politicians are so clever.
  • Options
    OldKingCole Luxembourg small enough to skirt around, Drake was really the Caribbean, Guatemala in C America next to Mexico
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Evening MrG - you maybe right, but on that score we'll have to wait and see..! ; )
    Simon, very true, and only 11 weeks to go.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

Shock and awe.Dennis Skinner has been voted off Labour's NEC.Whatever next?Will Gibraltar will be ceded to Spain?

Link?

I remember the last time - he got lots of sympathy messages which he curtly waved away: "Nobody's died. Let's move on."

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    HYUFD said:

Before the Union (and perhaps after) Scottish mercenaries were the men of choice in several Scandinavian conflicts.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    HYUFD said:

OldKingCole Luxembourg small enough to skirt around, Drake was really the Caribbean, Guatemala in C America next to Mexico

Of course we are assuming there were no sneaky incursions into Guatemala during the long running dispute over territory pre and post Belizean independence in 1981. Britain had troops there until 2011 and still has a few advisers on the ground.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Did we not provide some support recently to the French in the Mali civil war?
    Great country, full of saucy mares
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It seems to me that Google are deliberately seeking to subvert the bonkers European Court 'right to rewrite history' ruling by the rather clever means of simply complying with it, and saying that they are:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28130581
  • Options

Financier said:

Why?

@HurstLama

So no actual saving of the planet then? Just exporting jobs and prosperity. Isn't it wonderful that are politicians are so clever.
    And that overseas steelmaking will likely be more polluting too.

Ed Davey and Ed Milliband, take a bow.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Guatemala has an (admittedly short) Caribbean coastline. And as dyedwoolie rightly points out, there were all sorts of shenanigans over Belize.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    AndyJS said:

That sounds dodgy, but it's probably more cock-up than conspiracy...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

TBH, I seem to recall some relief in some quarters when he did die.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

You will find Murray lives in Surrey and plays for GB.

So that makes him less of a Scot, than your chum Wings, Sean Connery and Stuart Dickson?
  • Options
    Grandiose Indeed, but hiring not the same as invading. dyedwoolie Suppose it depends how you define an invasion. OldKingCole Don't think Drake got that far
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Grandiose Indeed, but hiring not the same as invading. dyedwoolie Suppose it depends how you define an invasion. OldKingCole Don't think Drake got that far

Yes, agreed. I'm certain British Troops have paid a visit to both Guatemala and Mali in living memory.
    We are very good at it, it seems.
    If the rest of the world just accepted British suzerainty it would make things much easier.

• Options
    dyedwoolie GB had the greatest empire in the history of the world (The Mongol empire is also a contendor but was over a more concentrated area). I don't think we are going back, it left a strong legacy, but we are now firmly part of the global community of nations
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903
    Evening all :)

For me, this is far and away the most significant event of the day:

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2014/07/01/getting-point-funding-unsustainable-want-meet-need-appropriately-adass-chief/

The consequences for Council adult social care from the Supreme Court ruling on Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) are and have been considerable. Whether we like it or not, the demands in the field of adult social care are increasing and even though the demographic time bomb of an elderly population has been recognised for thirty years, successive Governments have failed miserably to prepare.

One of the biggest national disgraces is our chronic inability to provide enough of our elderly with an adequate and dignified standard of life. At least this Government is starting to make people see the necessity for adequate and proper financial planning for retirement but it's too little and arguably too late.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Reminds me of a certain Wes, Minister exchange:

James Hacker: [reads memo] This file contains the complete set of papers, except for a number of secret documents, a few others which are part of still active files, some correspondence lost in the floods of 1967...
    James Hacker: Was 1967 a particularly bad winter?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: No, a marvellous winter. We lost no end of embarrassing files.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Why?

http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/ieo/industrial.cfm

industrial sectors that use the most electricity according to that link

1) "The largest industrial sector consumer of delivered energy is the chemical industry"
    2) "The second-largest user of energy in the world industrial sector is the iron and steel industry"
    3) "The third-largest energy-consuming industry is nonmetallic minerals, which includes cement, glass, brick, and ceramics"
    4) "Pulp and paper production"
    5) "Production of nonferrous metals, which include aluminum, copper, lead, and zinc"

so i assume these will be the sectors wiped out by wind power?

It'd be funny if the recycled paper industry closes down over green leccy prices.

• Options
    stodge The Government did transfer some NHS funds to social care in the Budget, but agree more needed
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

It seems to me that Google are deliberately seeking to subvert the bonkers European Court 'right to rewrite history' ruling by the rather clever means of simply complying with it, and saying that they are:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28130581

The Guardian has something along the same lines:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/02/eu-right-to-be-forgotten-guardian-google

Google now allows you to choose google.com at the bottom of its search page. Everyone should just make sure that they do that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good evening, everyone.

The Caterham story has been fleshed out a bit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28129627
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Reminds me of a certain Wes, Minister exchange:

James Hacker: [reads memo] This file contains the complete set of papers, except for a number of secret documents, a few others which are part of still active files, some correspondence lost in the floods of 1967...
    James Hacker: Was 1967 a particularly bad winter?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: No, a marvellous winter. We lost no end of embarrassing files.
    I miss the like button.
    It's amazing that over 30 years after it was written Yes Minister is still so eminently quotable
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    AndyJS said:

There's a surprise.

Given that covering up for child-molesting MPs is standard practice it makes me wonder how many of the big children's home investigations that were borked like Islington, North wales etc were borked because an MP or three were involved.

If sex crimes are only partly about sex crimes and partly about sociopaths indulging in a diluted form of serial killing then you'd expect groups with a high percentage of sociopaths to have a disproportionate involvement in such crimes.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited July 2014
    O/T Murali's Election Forecast (MEF)

Based on June opinion polls, swingback, UKIP decline, LD improvement and some randomness.

Headline: Very hung parliament.

Cons 298, Lab 295, LD 29, UKIP 0, Other 28.

Probability of Con majority - 0%, probability of Lab majority - 0%, probability of NOM - 100 % (Con largest party 64%).

Probability of LD getting more votes than UKIP 72%

Next MEF in early August.
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, indeed. It's an excellent work. As a child I enjoyed the Yes, Minister diaries (I forget if Yes, Prime Minister was included), although the TV series is even better.
  • Options

Mr. Pubgoer, indeed. It's an excellent work. As a child I enjoyed the Yes, Minister diaries (I forget if Yes, Prime Minister was included), although the TV series is even better.

My copy is of two separate books.
    Read them many, many times as a kid.
  • Options
    On topic, I think the problem is that a simple yes/no question doesn't do enough to find out how many votes are still up for grabs. The question I would ask would be something like this:

Which of the following best describes how you will vote in the independence referendum?

Certain to vote for independence
    Likely to vote for independence
    Likely to vote to remain in the UK
    Certain to vote to remain in the UK
    Undecided/uncertain which way to vote
    Will not vote

This would allow us to see how solid the vote is for each side and how many persuadable voters are still out there.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

There's a surprise.

Given that covering up for child-molesting MPs is standard practice it makes me wonder how many of the big children's home investigations that were borked like Islington, North wales etc were borked because an MP or three were involved.

If sex crimes are only partly about sex crimes and partly about sociopaths indulging in a diluted form of serial killing then you'd expect groups with a high percentage of sociopaths to have a disproportionate involvement in such crimes.
    To be pedantic, it's spelt burked with an u, after Burke and Hare who murdered poor Edinburgh folk, including Irish immigrants IIRC, to sell to the racist anatomist Robert Knox. So it's a very appropriate expression for you to use, especially as he, being upper class, got away with only a few broken windows (but admittedly a trashed reputation) and Burke got hung!

• Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, indeed, they're timeless series. The cynical realism's excellent.
  • Options
    @MrJones

"The third-largest energy-consuming industry is nonmetallic minerals, which includes cement, glass, brick, and ceramics"

All four products are essential in housebuilding, which HMG is desperately trying to encourage. A plan to encourage the products use whilst at the same time driving their production off-shore, to the detriment of jobs, balance of trade and the nations wealth whilst doing nothing about saving the planet (well, actually increasing the dreaded emissions), must be the most egregious example of government stupidity since the Crimean War. Yet politicians wonder why they are held in such contempt.
  • Options

"As a child", dear God the nursing home beckons. Steady on, Mr. Dancer, not all of us are prepared to be confronted with our advancing years in such blatant terms, especially at this time of the evening. You could at least try and soften the blow a bit.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Is there a misogynist inside every man?

Few men would freely admit to being a misogynist, but are we all guilty of misogynistic behaviour, asks Tom Fordy - and if so, how do we change our ways?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10924854/Is-there-a-misogynist-inside-every-man.html
This discussion has been closed.