Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Scottish Independence Referendum becomes a clash of pol

124»

Comments

• Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    edited July 2014
    Not sure if this has been posted but there is a Welsh Yougov poll.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2014-07-02/how-votes-would-translate-into-seats/

Westminster.
    Labour 41% (-2)
    Conservative 25% (+3)
    Plaid Cymru 11% (no change)
    UKIP 14% (+1)
    Liberal Democrats 5% (-2)
    Others 5% (+1)

Interesting thing is that Labour would only gain two seats. They should be winning 6-8 if they are likely to have a majority across the UK.

On Welsh NHS and its wider impact, see this story below, apparently its the tip of the iceberg, and a scandal to rival Mid Staffs is in the offing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-28116577

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,594
    Smarmeron said:

@TOPPING

House price inflation is no bad thing either?
    Except of course when it is under a Labour administration, in which case, it is responsible for over leveraging, and the subsequent crash.

the thing about house price inflation is that with the CPI/RPI bait and switch by one G. Brown the BoE was relatively restricted as "inflation" was seemingly under control but I can't see how a 2009/10-type debate about administratively-encouraged lax monetary policy is going to bring you out of your depression.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @taffys
    Yes, as everyone knows, the only way to wealth is to inflate the stock market with QE, let the richest double their wealth, award huge increases to those at the top, and let house prices and borrowing cheap money boom, while pushing those below into poverty.
    Sounds just like the good old days really?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,047
    Miss C, always nice to see you on.

Welsh people do seem less than impressed with the Labour administration's running of healthcare. Mind you, 41% is still pretty good for the reds and some way ahead of their nearest rivals.
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    Thanks Mr Dancer,

Indeed there is a steady rise in discontentment at how the NHS and Education is run, but still no where near the levels that would topple Labour from power in Wales. It would require a rainbow coalition of UKIP, Tories, Plaid and a Lib dem to oust them at the next Assembly election, somehow I can't see it happening.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

You're making me blush MrBurningEars. Thank you. Easing my way back onto the saddle. Ideas for a column topic always welcome. Hoping to do one in the next fortnight.

If only your tennis predictions were less accurate :-)

As for the column ideas - in general, I'd advise stick to your field of expertise and add some insight. Nothing worse than someone pontificating about something they don't have a decent grasp of themselves, which seems to be the lot of most "professional columnists". The thing I really liked about your pieces is that you know whereof you speak. And in particular, you cover areas which are generally underserved and underrepresented (and all too often, utterly misunderstood) on PB.
  • Options
    Occasionally checking the livefeed. Surprised Cilic took a set off Djokovic (1-1).

Miss C, it's a little sad to see places (for whichever party) which have a tribal vote, whether 'positive' [voting the same way your parents and grandparents did] or negative [boo hiss evil Tories/Labour/Monster Raving Loony Party].
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    malcolmg said:

taffys said:

I have to hand it to MalcolmG, hanging around even as the going gets tough for the nats....

Also to be fair to Mr. G., it was once possible to have a sensible conversation with him. Nowadays, he mainly just produces abuse of the type and frequency that would get other posters banned. Why he is allowed such licence I know not, but he is. However the good thing is that most of his posts are very short so he doesn't waste much of my time. I just wish that the real Mr. G. would come back to us.
    Hurst, for you and other intelligent sensible posters the real Mr G is still here. I only reply in kind to the fools , comic singers and ne'er-do-wells.
    I never doubted it, Mr. G. Anyone who can be publicly invited out for a drink by AlanBrooke and Southam Observer has to be a bon oeuf. Would be nice if you toned down the abuse a tad though.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, reminds me of what I learnt at school:

Why do Frenchmen eat a single egg for breakfast?

Because one egg is un oeuf.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

taffys said:

I have to hand it to MalcolmG, hanging around even as the going gets tough for the nats....

Also to be fair to Mr. G., it was once possible to have a sensible conversation with him. Nowadays, he mainly just produces abuse of the type and frequency that would get other posters banned. Why he is allowed such licence I know not, but he is. However the good thing is that most of his posts are very short so he doesn't waste much of my time. I just wish that the real Mr. G. would come back to us.
    Hurst, for you and other intelligent sensible posters the real Mr G is still here. I only reply in kind to the fools , comic singers and ne'er-do-wells.
    I never doubted it, Mr. G. Anyone who can be publicly invited out for a drink by AlanBrooke and Southam Observer has to be a bon oeuf. Would be nice if you toned down the abuse a tad though.
    No. One can't say one has arrived if one hasn't been called a Turnip by @malcolmg‌.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Welsh people do seem less than impressed with the Labour administration's running of healthcare. Mind you, 41% is still pretty good for the reds and some way ahead of their nearest rivals.

Why do you say "less than impressed", Mr Dancer? They must be content enough about health standards as they keep voting Labour.

That sustained voting pattern ends any sympathy I have for anyone who dies through Welsh NHS mismanagement. They have the option to improve things but choose not to. They bring it upon themselves.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,050
    Looking like a day of Scottish failure at Wimbledon tbh.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Indeed there is a steady rise in discontentment at how the NHS and Education is run, but still no where near the levels that would topple Labour from power in Wales.''

True but it might well be enough to keep Labour from power in England. As an exile going back twice a year, Anyone in England should take a look at Wales before even thinking about voting labour.

It is crumbling, peeling, poorly educated, state reliant, comatose basket case kept on life support by English money.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    My £50 bet on Murray winning Wimbledon looks like it's going down the drain.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    I don't believe Murray. It's not just going to be defeat, but in straight sets!
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    GeoffM said:

Why do you say "less than impressed", Mr Dancer? They must be content enough about health standards as they keep voting Labour.

That sustained voting pattern ends any sympathy I have for anyone who dies through Welsh NHS mismanagement. They have the option to improve things but choose not to. They bring it upon themselves.

Collectively yes. Individually no.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited July 2014
    Murray playing his worst tennis in years, it could be Tiger Tim out there
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Looks like Eck's saltire has the day off on Sunday.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    TessyC and HenryGManson reappear on these pages on the same day. Huzzah and goodness gracious! Perhaps a sign we are moving into more interesting times.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    GeoffM said:

Three points.

1. A majority of the Welsh vote for parties other than Labour, and so by your reckoning have chosen to do something about the way Labour is running the NHS in Wales.

2. An individual voter might not be happy about the way that Labour is running the NHS in Wales, but might still reasonably decide to vote Labour on the basis of other policy areas.

3. It is precisely the blatant lack of compassion for other people that you demonstrate in your post that makes lefties in general distrust and fear righties, and so in many cases tribally vote Labour to stop the Tories [who have no sympathy for them].

How to win friends and influence people it is not.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    As expertly revealed by Joe Saward (and almost as expertly linked to by me), Caterham's been sold to a Swiss and Middle East consortium:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28129627

Not sure about the ID of the buyers at this stage.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I've just backed Murray, £1.20 risked to win £28.50

And poof My cash is gone ^_~
  • Options
    Murray loses.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Such a comeback hasn't been seen since Jimmy Connors came back from two sets and a break down to beat Vijay Amritraj

Edit - Murray is no Connors
  • Options
    Mr. Woolie, or since Button was last of 21 drivers on lap 40/70 (or so) at the Canadian Grand Prix and went on to win it.
  • Options
    How to win friends and influence people it is not.

What if you are a tory in, say, West Wales and can't get access to English treatment? Or a lib dem voting parent getting very poor Welsh education for your kids that is too poor to move?

You are certainly voting for change, but you just keep getting outvoted.
  • Options

Mr. Woolie, or since Button was last of 21 drivers on lap 40/70 (or so) at the Canadian Grand Prix and went on to win it.

Murray is no Button either!
  • Options
    Djokovic must be a shoo in now..
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Bloody Bulgarians, coming over here, stealing our Championships....
  • Options

On the flip side @TheScreamingeagles tipped him @ 11-2 ;p
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

...but might still reasonably decide to vote Labour

I simply don't understand that sentence.

• Options
    taffys said:

''Indeed there is a steady rise in discontentment at how the NHS and Education is run, but still no where near the levels that would topple Labour from power in Wales.''

True but it might well be enough to keep Labour from power in England. As an exile going back twice a year, Anyone in England should take a look at Wales before even thinking about voting labour.

It is crumbling, peeling, poorly educated, state reliant, comatose basket case kept on life support by English money.

A little harsh maybe. There are pockets that are not for sure, but it is reliant on English cash overall, it is overly state reliant, and any Plaid Cymru pretensions to independence would have to face plummeting living standards as a consequence. That is beyond dispute this side of sanity or an oil strike in Cardigan Bay or the like.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Shame about Andy.

I'm worrying I'm not 100% today, for instance on this photo, I keep thinking Nicky Morgan looks like George (next to her) in drag...

http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/2011897.article?cmpid=pmalert_384124
  • Options
    A little harsh maybe. True but I am angry, particularly about education.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,636
    Did Murray lose?

Playing like an English football team... [face-palm]
  • Options
    To cheer us all up

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100278432/labours-problem-isnt-that-it-hasnt-got-a-story-labours-problem-is-that-its-story-is-terrible/

"Labour has a story. And it’s this. “The country went bust. We were in government when it went bust, but it wasn’t really our fault. It was the fault of the bankers. And big business. And this other group of people who we can’t readily identify, but who for the sake of argument we’ll call 'vested interests'.

They are the guilty men (and they are all men, by the way). Now, we know that four years ago you made the mistake of thinking it was our fault. Don’t worry, we don’t hold it against you. No hard feelings.

But because you blamed us, you elected the Tories. And the problem is the Tories are friends with the bankers and big business and all those nasty vested interests. Again, don’t beat yourself up. It was a rookie error; could happen to anyone. But now you know it wasn’t our fault, and was actually all the fault of those other people, you can kick the Tories out and put us back in. And then we can all move on and forget any of this ever happened.”"
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Have to admit the DH article even made me laugh
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,636

Pulpstar said:

Such a comeback hasn't been seen since Jimmy Connors came back from two sets and a break down to beat Vijay Amritraj

Which tennis player simultaneously bet for and against himself?

Vijay Arbitrage!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,760
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Today I believe in reincarnation.

Scotland's Andy Murray is clearly the reincarnation of Hannibal.

A couple of early easy victories against mediocre opposition and then it culminates in an embarrassing defeat that brings shame on the entire nation and people.

That's 100 quid I'm never seeing again

• Options
    And now Djokovic is in trouble against Cilic.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LadPolitics: Murray crashes out & Ladbrokes push out odds of an #indyref YES vote:
    NO 1/7 (from 1/6)
    YES 9/2 (from 4/1)
    http://t.co/AnSlmWVurx
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

To cheer us all up

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100278432/labours-problem-isnt-that-it-hasnt-got-a-story-labours-problem-is-that-its-story-is-terrible/

"Labour has a story. And it’s this. “The country went bust. We were in government when it went bust, but it wasn’t really our fault. It was the fault of the bankers. And big business. And this other group of people who we can’t readily identify, but who for the sake of argument we’ll call 'vested interests'.

They are the guilty men (and they are all men, by the way). Now, we know that four years ago you made the mistake of thinking it was our fault. Don’t worry, we don’t hold it against you. No hard feelings.

But because you blamed us, you elected the Tories. And the problem is the Tories are friends with the bankers and big business and all those nasty vested interests. Again, don’t beat yourself up. It was a rookie error; could happen to anyone. But now you know it wasn’t our fault, and was actually all the fault of those other people, you can kick the Tories out and put us back in. And then we can all move on and forget any of this ever happened.”"

It started in America. And Gordon saved the world.
    These are facts, facts which we, the Labour Party will not have contradicted, on pain of mass immigration and lots of bone idleness, funded by the State.
    Only under Labour can our true destiny, as a second world country headed downwards with ghettoisation and casual brutal violence in every village and town be realised.
    It's the ultimate realisation of militant tendency, and it's available for power next year.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Pulpstar said:

A couple of early easy victories against mediocre opposition and then it culminates in an embarrassing defeat that brings shame on the entire nation and people.

Murray = Turnip.
  • Options
    @taffys

Yup can understand that. Don't have much to do with education myself directly at a secondary level for sure, but the drift apart from England will store trouble up for the future or at least make things more insular.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Which tennis player simultaneously bet for and against himself?

Vijay Arbitrage!
    Vijay.

I remember him from Star Trek IV and Octopussy.

Still love him playing the Bond Theme

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Murray = Turnip.
    That's neep to you
  • Options
    I've got some advice for Murray. Stop looking like you're trying to put a Rowntrees fruit pastel in your mouth without chewing it and get the round thing in the court, not a foot outside it. Oh, and that net shaped net, it's not a good place to hit the round thing.
    Hope that helps
  • Options
    British/English sport - dead or dying
  • Options
    On topic.

A clash of Polling Methodologies sounds like a book by George R.R. Martin.
  • Options
    Djokovic is 2 sets to 1 down against Cilic.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@TOPPING
    The projection for this year is for them to be down 4%, with the figures due at a very awkward time.
    Expect smoke and mirrors combined with buck passing (the relevant ministers are looking into this as we speak).

Smarmy

Please would you let us know the source for your claim that the latest projection for housing starts this year shows that the government is on course to be 4% down on target.

Simple answers to simple questions. What target? Who set it? Where is it published? What current projection, from whom and where sourced?

As to measuring any outturn against target, fictional or otherwise, DCLG will have to start producing more timely figures if you want to apply the measure to the current calendar or fiscal year. The latest official release for housing starts only includes (provisional) figures from England up to 2013-14. The latest complete figures for Wales are 2010-11, and, for Scotland and Northern Ireland, 2012-13.

Methinks you are being as loose with your statistical claims as EdM. Perhaps they were "the best you have seen"?
  • Options

Nah. The British and Irish Lions shows we're not.

In fact it shows we're better together.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

On topic.

That would be something like book 300 in the series, once the gripping political intrigue of Parliamentary democracy has replaced the dastardly backstabbing of monarchical usurpation.
  • Options
    Well done HenryG - back with a bang!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Failure @ the World Cup, Andy Murray failing @ Wimbledon. Just need the Indian whitewash, and I'll be in cocktails for a year.
  • Options
    Huzzah for Henry being back.
  • Options

On topic.

That would be something like book 300 in the series, once the gripping political intrigue of Parliamentary democracy has replaced the dastardly backstabbing of monarchical usurpation.
    I'd read and watch that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030
    Smarmeron said:

"Eleven arrested in £300m Manchester drugs raids"

Does this count as a positive or negative for the new revamped GDP calculations?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-28112292

It will either drive up prices, or force production to increase. So I'd say neutral.
  • Options
    @AveryLP

"The government is exploring emergency measures to kick-start house-building, amid an expected decrease in new build this year, BBC Newsnight has learned."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28114463
  • Options

So here's the thing. It has long been in my mind to assess "top nation".

Take 10 team sports and via some complex weighting system determine which nation is best overall. Some debate would need to be had regarding what constitutes a team sport. So for example the US would I imagine score well at Baseball and Ba

My initial list is:

Football
    Rugby
    Cricket
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Hockey (Field)
    Hockey (Ice)
    Netball
    Waterpolo
    Polo
  • Options

Northern Britain in Murray's case.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Andy Murray=Ed Miliband
    last year labour thought they had a hero with his energy policy announcement
    this year they realise he's a dud
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Failure @ the World Cup, Andy Murray failing @ Wimbledon. Just need the Indian whitewash, and I'll be in cocktails for a year.
    I have tickets to the test next week (only remembered over the weekend)

England have an appalling record when I watch them live.

It's almost like they've been tipped by Roger to do well.
  • Options

Nah. The British and Irish Lions shows we're not.

In fact it shows we're better together.
    The fact we need to rely on the Southern Irish to score a minor victory rather proves the point.
    British sport is toilet. Overpaid and underwhelming losers funded by people seemingly prepared to accept the very average. No fight, no passion, no commitment.
    Whither Beefy and Nobby? Whence went Dr Jonathan Webb and Dusty Hare, where are Andy Irvine and Archie Gemmill? There's no Williams JJ or JPR
    All crap, all the time.
    These are facts
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

"The government is exploring emergency measures to kick-start house-building, amid an expected decrease in new build this year, BBC Newsnight has learned."

Welcome to the BBC Allegra. Where was it you were, previously?
  • Options
    And with that I'm off to gorge on Steak and Chips chez parents
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TOPPING said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

The Grauniad, and The Staggers amongst others.

(Funny, it's almost as if there's a coordinated attack by various parties today on housing).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

The Grauniad, and The Staggers amongst others.
    If I may be so indelicate as to explain my point: exactly!!
  • Options
    @TheWatcher @TOPPING
    If you are suggesting that the article is false, write to the the head of the BBC newsdesk pointing this out.
    Otherwise stop bumping your gums?

Enjoy the rest of your day.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheWatcher @TOPPING
    If you are suggesting that the article is false, write to the the head of the BBC newsdesk pointing this out.

AVERY!! THE BOXES!! QUICK!!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheWatcher @TOPPING

Please go ahead, and point out any suggestions of 'false'.

You seem overly sensitive about this topic. Are you one of the team?
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Take 10 team sports and via some complex weighting system determine which nation is best overall. Some debate would need to be had regarding what constitutes a team sport. So for example the US would I imagine score well at Baseball and Ba

My initial list is:

Football
    Rugby
    Cricket
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Hockey (Field)
    Hockey (Ice)
    Netball
    Waterpolo
    Polo
    So far as I can work out...

Football - Spain (Yes they flopped at the World cup but they're recent World/Euro Cup victories and still ranked #1).

Rugby Union - NZ (League Australia)

Cricket - Australia

Baseball - USA

Basketball - USA

Hockey (Field) - Australia

Hockey (Ice) - Canada

Netball - Australia

Waterpolo - Serbia

Polo - Argentina
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

My initial list is:

Football
    Rugby
    Cricket
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Hockey (Field)
    Hockey (Ice)
    Netball
    Waterpolo
    Polo
    So far as I can work out...

Football - Spain (Yes they flopped at the World cup but they're recent World/Euro Cup victories and still ranked #1).

Rugby Union - NZ (League Australia)

Cricket - Australia

Baseball - USA

Basketball - USA

Hockey (Field) - Australia

Hockey (Ice) - Canada

Netball - Australia

Waterpolo - Serbia

Polo - Argentina
    Yes, Australia would appear to have a shout but then England would be (at various times) ok in the cricket and rugby also plus would place (eg. in the polo) so I don't think it would be as simple as to count up the No 1s - perhaps a moving average..?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,173
    edited July 2014
    GeoffM said:

I don't think Stafford will be an issue in a future Labour leadership election Marquee Mark.

Indeed. Dead people can't vote.

Edit: Except by post in Labour constituencies
    Or (effectively) when the Unionists are trying to fiddle a Scottish home rule referendum.

Edit: I mean in 1979!

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Carnyx said:

GeoffM said:

I don't think Stafford will be an issue in a future Labour leadership election Marquee Mark.

Or (effectively) when the Unionists are trying to fiddle a Scottish home rule referendum.

The amendment to the 1978 devolution bill which required 40% of Scotland's total registered electorate in order to pass, rather than by a simple majority was made by Labour MP George Cunningham. A Scotsman I believe!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,173

Carnyx said:

GeoffM said:

The amendment to the 1978 devolution bill which required 40% of Scotland's total registered electorate in order to pass, rather than by a simple majority was made by Labour MP George Cunningham. A Scotsman I believe!
    Quite. But nobody made any reference to the ethnic origin of the reanimators and violinists in question.

• Options
    Dennis Skinner voted off of Labour's NEC
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,252

Murray playing his worst tennis in years, it could be Tiger Tim out there

So much for better together and union benefits, Andy plays like a big jessie under the union jack. It is time.
This discussion has been closed.