Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB jump 4% to take 9 point lead in first post Juncker voti

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB jump 4% to take 9 point lead in first post Juncker voting intention poll

The fact that this poll coincides with a week that saw the Coulson verdict and the Cameron stand-off in the EU over the presidency doesn’t necessarily mean that these events have impacted on voting plans.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    I think the jump in Lab Lead is probably more to do with COULSON than JUNCKER.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Outlier; next thread....
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Its too soon to judge as happy as I am with that referendum poll. Give it another week.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Outlier; next thread....

You can only judge whether a poll is an outlier when you've seen other surveys.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    Main movement from LD to Labour, Tories unchanged, so nothing really of significance other than the continued vast UKIP vote with Survation, night
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Doesn't seem consistent with Coulson or Juncker given that the Con share isn't moving. Part of a general drift back to Labour? It seems like their share was temporarily depressed by the Euros.
  • Options

You can only judge whether a poll is an outlier when you've seen other surveys.

Ergo: This thread has no substance. A single data-point is not worth discussing.

:next-thread:
  • Options
    Just caught a bit of Al-Beeb's "Dateline London" (with added Polly Toynbee): Apparently "Leveson" is 'dead'. And I thought "clever puntahs" said it would be law by January...! [2012]
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited June 2014
    There's some good internal numbers for Cameron in this poll, even if the VI is going the wrong way (partly because of the Lib Dems).

OUT has an 8% lead in the normal EU question, but "if the UK is able to secure some concessions" then this turns into a 4% lead for IN

Which of the following statements is closest to your view?
    43% (including 70% of Tory voters and 54% of Ukip voters) - David Cameron was right to oppose Juncker’s candidacy for EU Commission President

Ed Miliband has said that the election of Juncker despite Cameron’s attempts to stop him represents an “abject failure” by David Cameron.
    - Net disagree 1% and 30% neither agree or disagree
    - Tory voters net disagree 46% and 19% neither agree or disagree
    - Ukip voters net agree 1% and 33% neither agree or disagree

38% (including 75% of Tory voters and 45% of Ukip voters) - Cameron’s decision to oppose Juncker’s appointment, even though he did not succeed in blocking him, is a sign of Cameron's strength

36% (including 31% of Ukip voters) - Cameron’s failure to block Juncker’s appointment, even though he opposed him, is a sign of Cameron's weakness

Which of the following do you think has the best policy on Europe? (net % Cameron over Miliband)
    All +13
    Tory +85
    Ukip +29

Who do you think would manage to secure the best deal for Britain in EU negotiations? (net % Cameron over Miliband)
    All +18
    Tory +85
    Ukip +37
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Here's a link to the numbers, which Mike never seems to give

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Jean-Claude-Juncker-Poll-MoS.pdf
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2014
    Yet more seriously poor polling news for the Blues.
    Notwithstanding Stephen Fisher's projections which continue to show the Tories with a distinct but narrowing lead over Labour in terms of seats at the next GE, I am wondering whether say Ladbrokes' 8/1 shot against Labour winning between 351-375 seats (i.e. a majority of between approx 50-100) represents good value.
    Certainly I'm more attracted by this than the "reverse" bet of them winning between 226-250 seats on offer at the same odds. ..... but DYOR.

From a betting perspective it would be really useful if Mike or another PBer were able to provide average polling data for the main parties covering the 12 month period, leading up to the 2010 GE, Clearly one would then need to make an appropriate adjustment for the currently much stronger showing by UKIP.
  • Options
    Cameron's problem on his referendum promise is on page 28: Half the voters trust him to keep it. But they're the half who want to stay in...

Trust Cameron to deliver referendum:
    In supporters: Trust vs Don't Trust 66.6% vs 32.4%
    Out supporters: Trust vs Don't Trust 39.9% vs 61.1%
  • Options
    Juncker-mania news: Despite almost universally hostile media coverage and disapproval from all political parties, 12.6% think he's a good choice, vs 34.4% who think he's a bad choice. Support particularly strong among young people (24.9% pro vs 25.9% anti) and in London (25.3% pro, 25.5% anti).

If Juncker stays in the news and the UK pays attention to the election next time, maybe we could see Four Freedoms or whoever stands for the EPP winning a seat in London...
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Can somebody help me out please? Lib predicted vote 7% = 24 seats, Ukip predicted vote 22% = 1 seat, how does that work?
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Cameron's problem on his referendum promise is on page 28: Half the voters trust him to keep it. But they're the half who want to stay in...

I suppose one could argue that converting a good number of those 61.1% want out supporters and who don't trust Cameron to deliver, does actually provide him with a real opportunity ...... the big problem is just how he could possibly gain their trust.
    A good start would be by naming a precise date for the referendum - say 2 years after the general Election, i.e May 2017, which should provide more than sufficient time for the other EU states to say "No" to all his proposals.
    He's already committed to a 2017 referendum anyway, assuming he means it, unlike last time.
  • Options

Can somebody help me out please? Lib predicted vote 7% = 24 seats, Ukip predicted vote 22% = 1 seat, how does that work?

In two words: vote distribution.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Survation need to move up the table and more regularly provide accurate polling before we are able to talk of them anywhere close to the predictive qualities of my ARSE.

Accordingly we need to discuss more important matters such as the devastating six points Scotland forced on a weak South African rugby team.

• Options

1) Kippers are spread thinly all over the country so they have strong votes everywhere, but not enough in any specific seat to win.
    2) The remaining LibDems have strong incumbency caused by working the constituency for a long time and/or getting their constituents special tax breaks on their ski lifts.
    3) Being sort-of in the middle, the surviving LibDems can get tactical votes from all sides, whereas in Newark it looked like UKIP may have been a victim of supporters of other parties backing the one best place to beat it.

That said, I suspect UKIP would do a bit better than 1 seat on 22%, because in local elections their support has ended up being a bit more concentrated than you'd think looking the (very low) 2010 scores these estimates are based on.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov:33/37/8/14

40% say right to oppose Junker, only Labour disagree
    48% DK

Likelihood of EU handing back powers to Nations States:
    18% None
    24% Few Minor Powers
    24% say EU wants more powers

To Invade Iraq was:
    Right: 10%
    Wrong: 59%

Increased threat of terrorism: 62%

Made world less safe: 48%
  • Options
    This latest YouGov poll is much more in line with average polling over the recent past, still a huge uphill task for the Tories. Which reminds me - those Paddy Power (?) H1/Q2 crossover bets expire, unsuccessfully, today.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Thank you Peter and Edmund. In parts of the Uk Ukip support is low single figures, London and Scotland for example, therefore it must be considerably higher elsewhere. If the libs on 7% will effectively target seats and win 20+ give me a good reason why Ukip on 22% can't do the same.
  • Options

I suppose one could argue that converting a good number of those 61.1% want out supporters and who don't trust Cameron to deliver, does actually provide him with a real opportunity ...... the big problem is just how he could possibly gain their trust.
    A good start would be by naming a precise date for the referendum - say 2 years after the general Election, i.e May 2017, which should provide more than sufficient time for the other EU states to say "No" to all his proposals.
    He's already committed to a 2017 referendum anyway, assuming he means it, unlike last time.
    Setting a date sounds smart. The BOOers would get very excited about it and start calling it Freedom Day or something, and anyone who tried to say "You know Cameron is full of shit right, are you sure this thing is real?" would sound like a party-pooper.
  • Options
    18% None
    24% Few Minor Powers

On this basis, I would imagine that probably fewer than 5% expect the EU would be prepared seriously to re-negotiate the UK's membership terms in isolation ........ it simply ain't going to happen!
  • Options

Thank you Peter and Edmund. In parts of the Uk Ukip support is low single figures, London and Scotland for example, therefore it must be considerably higher elsewhere. If the libs on 7% will effectively target seats and win 20+ give me a good reason why Ukip on 22% can't do the same.

Building up that level of targetting took the LibDems decades. UKIP have hardly even started. Things will look different in 2025 or 2030, however.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've added some points from today's YouGov. Note that this poll mostly took place before Survation
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Outlier; next thread....

To field that, perhaps it's a "cross under"?
  • Options

Blackburn - there's clearly a "breakthrough" point nationally, beyond which UKIP would start picking up seats like crazy. I'm not sure at what percentage of the national vote this would happen but doubtless you could have some fun by playing with hypothetical numbers on Electoral Calculus.
  • Options

18% None
    24% Few Minor Powers

On this basis, I would imagine that probably fewer than 5% expect the EU would be prepared seriously to re-negotiate the UK's membership terms in isolation ........ it simply ain't going to happen!

The hitch with Cameron's strategy if he tried to put it into practice is that any non-trivial agreement would be somewhat complex, and as such would be easily demagogued as handing _more_ powers over to the EU...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It does show that there are a lot of people out there who are pro Juncker depite (or possibly because of) the universal dislike of our media and parties. An in vote in a referendum is quite winnable.

the 350-375 seat band for Labour at 8:1 is good value. The Tories have seen the elephant trap of banging on about Europe and jumped in anyway. The Ed factor is now priced in, and he can only surprise on the upside.

Jack will be eating humble pie.

Juncker-mania news: Despite almost universally hostile media coverage and disapproval from all political parties, 12.6% think he's a good choice, vs 34.4% who think he's a bad choice. Support particularly strong among young people (24.9% pro vs 25.9% anti) and in London (25.3% pro, 25.5% anti).

If Juncker stays in the news and the UK pays attention to the election next time, maybe we could see Four Freedoms or whoever stands for the EPP winning a seat in London...

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited June 2014
    Tories are impossible to understand on Europe. With less than a year to go they desperately need to get the conversation off Europe and on to the economy. Yet they seem to do the reverse. Bizarre.

They are never going to win back UKIP voters by talking about the EU and promoting that as the most important issue.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Updated charts with the Con/Lab moving averages from this year's YouGov polls.

5 poll average
    http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae304/Gadfly_bucket/5poll-1.jpg

10 poll average
    http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae304/Gadfly_bucket/10poll-1.jpg
  • Options

It does show that there are a lot of people out there who are pro Juncker depite (or possibly because of) the universal dislike of our media and parties. An in vote in a referendum is quite winnable.

the 350-375 seat band for Labour at 8:1 is good value. The Tories have seen the elephant trap of banging on about Europe and jumped in anyway. The Ed factor is now priced in, and he can only surprise on the upside.

An "In" vote is indeed winnable, probable even.
    But the point at issue in terms of the 2015 GE is rather the prospect of Cameron outflanking Miliband in terms of at least promising an [early] referendum, irrespective at this stage as to whether or not acceptable renegotiated terms are agreed with our EU partners.
    A good many "In" supporters probably support such a referendum so that the issue may be resolved once and for all.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited June 2014
    I would have thought that Fargle would also be very pleased with this result.

I think it shows that people have fully switched off election mode, knowing for the first time in UK history when the election is and its not for nearly a year.

They have returned to using opinion polls on the government in the same way as Geoffery Bloom uses magazines on journalists.

Hence, Labour and UKIP vote exaggerated and tory and lib votes squeezed.

Unless some very dramatic event like the ERM collapse occurs, I really don't think it is worth taking the opinion polls seriously until February 2015. I expect afer the Chancellors pre budget statement a tory surge then followed by a labour surge after Christmas when everyone has January blues, a crossover around the time of the budget which will be the most political ever and followed by a ruthless attack both personal and polices on Labour and a result somewhere around 35/30 +/- 3% either way which is a result that could go in any direction depending how much the Libs are squeezed.

Europe- yes Cameron is a federalist, to the extent that he has any principles at all, but if Europe gets put before country, it is also the case that Party gets put before Europe. If junking the EU saves the party the EU will be junked.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

As a con-a-sewer of pie (various) I have to advise you that "humble pie" does not feature on my menu.

Your 8/1 wager on 350/375 Labour seat band is almost as funny as some UKIPers predicting them on 30+ seats and about as likely as Mr Juncker marrying David Cameron in Finsbury Park mosque on 31st February 2015 with Nigel Farage as Matron of Honour.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    O/T

Are there any more mega surprises left in store in terms of World Cup results?

There are still huge odds on offer against the likes of Algeria, Switzerland and the United States.

Of course none of this trio is even remotely likely to win the tournament outright, but there should be money to be made on a trading basis with Betfair, etc if one or other of these were to progress further.

If I had to pick one, I'd go for the U.S. but as ever DYOR!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    YouGov more in line with what I suggested last night (Labour lead of 4-5). There's a 5-point net drop in Cameron's rating but the responses on Juncker are still a bit vague - 46% don't know if it was right to oppose him (though 40-14 say yes), 56% don't know if he'll affect our prospects or think he won't. The Coulson verdict is more unambiguous - given a choice of three options (which always pushes people to the middle one), the figures are 34-36-21 on "one of the worst mistakes made by any senior politician", "fairly serious but not exceptional" and no big deal. A striking similarity to Survation is that VI for a referendum hasn't moved at all, except that Cameron saying it's right to stay in would no longer affect the result (39-37 to stay without the endorsement, 39-36 with it).

My take on European politics is that 2 years isn't remotely enough for the other EU states to take a binding view (which would often require their own referenda), ESPECIALLY if they know that there's a referendum coming up on date X. They don't in general actively want Britain to leave, so they'll make polite noises - could well consider quite a few of these things, obviously needs detailed discussion, look forward to constructive consideration over coming years, etc.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

I think it shows that people have fully switched off election mode, knowing for the first time in UK history when the election is and its not for nearly a year.

They have returned to using opinion polls on the government in the same way as Geoffery Bloom uses magazines on journalists.

Unless some very dramatic event like the ERM collapse occurs, I really don't think it is worth taking the opinion polls seriously until February 2015. I expect afer the Chancellors pre budget statement a tory surge then followed by a labour surge after Christmas when everyone has January blues, a crossover around the time of the budget which will be the most political ever and followed by a ruthless attack both personal and polices on Labour and a result somewhere around 35/30 +/- 3% either way which is a result that could go in any direction depending how much the Libs are squeezed.

Europe- yes Cameron is a federalist, to the extent that he has any principles at all, but if Europe gets put before country, it is also the case that Party gets put before Europe. If junking the EU saves the party the EU will be junked.

Paul, would you care to suggest the sort of measures we should expect in November's Budget?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    They don't in general actively want Britain to leave, so they'll make polite noises - could well consider quite a few of these things, obviously needs detailed discussion, look forward to constructive consideration over coming years, etc.

In other words fudge it big time! If Cameron didn't believe 2017 was do-able he shouldn't have promised it.
    The Great British Public won't tolerate yet further inordinate delays in the holding of a referendum; a way simply has to be found to resolve matters.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

O/T

There are still huge odds on offer against the likes of Algeria, Switzerland and the United States.

Of course none of this trio is even remotely likely to win the tournament outright, but there should be money to be made on a trading basis with Betfair, etc if one or other of these were to progress further.

Betting on each match might be safer since, as you say, "none of this trio is even remotely likely to win the tournament outright," which means there is a limit on how far the odds against them doing so will collapse.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    edited June 2014
    JackW said:

As a con-a-sewer of pie (various) I have to advise you that "humble pie" does not feature on my menu.

Your 8/1 wager on 350/375 Labour seat band is almost as funny as some UKIPers predicting them on 30+ seats and about as likely as Mr Juncker marrying David Cameron in Finsbury Park mosque on 31st February 2015 with Nigel Farage as Matron of Honour.

@JackW

How would you price up this seat band ?
  • Options

O/T

Betting on each match might be safer since, as you say, "none of this trio is even remotely likely to win the tournament outright," which means there is a limit on how far the odds against them doing so will collapse.
    Fair comment, I wouldn't argue with that approach - my main point was that I still believe we could see another big surprise (or two), of course this might involve other sides.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Doesn't seem consistent with Coulson or Juncker given that the Con share isn't moving. Part of a general drift back to Labour? It seems like their share was temporarily depressed by the Euros.

But Ed is crap, and this week we saw that Labour is split over how crap is Ed, so this poll suggests that maybe Ed is not crap or, more subtly, that Labour supporters have already discounted Ed's crapness.
  • Options
    I would like to get a price on a betting opportunity. Assuming the EU referendum is called, and is called the Independence Day referendum by those who want to leave the EU (scilicet those who hate Johnny Foreigner) how long will it be before the first of them announces here that a vote to stay in the EU is an act of High Treason? High Treason, for which, of course, the Death Penalty still exists.

Any thoughts?
  • Options

High Treason, for which, of course, the Death Penalty still exists.

Maximum sentence is "life"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    The sad (from my perspective) truth is that swing back is not happening, the tories are going nowhere and the odds on a Labour majority really should be falling fast. As a predictive tool I have considerable reservations about Fisher's analysis but as a tend indicator it s proving very valuable indeed.

What it shows is that Labour were doing very poorly as the main opposition for much of the Parliament, certainly in comparison with pre-UKIP days. This meant that if previous trends were repeated the tories could be expected to win comfortably.

But these trends are not being followed and the Labour lead is holding up. Each week that goes by with this situation makes the effect of swingback less significant resulting in more Labour seats. We are getting close to the crossover point where it is more likely than not that Labour will have the most seats on the model. It simply requires the polling to remain static for a very short period of time now.

I think the trend is clear and am moving back to a Labour majority being the most likely outcome, having always believed that they were likely to have the most seats. I am really struggling to see what can change this now. Fantastic economic results have not done it. A well received budget achieved no more than a temporary boost. Europe certainly won't do it, on historical precedent it will achieve the reverse. The majority now have their view of Ed. It's not flattering but it is priced in. Tory supporters, like myself, really have to answer the question of what is going to change this? I am struggling.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

High Treason, for which, of course, the Death Penalty still exists.

Maximum sentence is "life"
    My error. Apologies.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

I would like to get a price on a betting opportunity. Assuming the EU referendum is called, and is called the Independence Day referendum by those who want to leave the EU (scilicet those who hate Johnny Foreigner) how long will it be before the first of them announces here that a vote to stay in the EU is an act of High Treason? High Treason, for which, of course, the Death Penalty still exists.

Any thoughts?

Survation asked people choosing 'out' why they wanted to leave the EU. 'Hating Johnny Foreigner' did not come up.
  • Options
    By the way, YG also shows a robust public rejection of the idea that the hacking trials were a waste of time. A huge majority approves prosecuting Brooks (no doubt on the basis that the allegations needed to be resolved) a large majority reject the idea that the police should have concentrated on more important crimes, and a smaller majority want more investigations to continue. Presumably News International commissioned the questions but I doubt if they will be highlighting the results.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Lazy scroungers coming back from Brazil?

(I am, of course, referring to a certain group of young men who went over for a kick about)
  • Options

Paul, would you care to suggest the sort of measures we should expect in November's Budget?

There isn't a Budget in November.

An autumn statement, perhaps, but not a Budget.
  • Options

But Ed is crap, and this week we saw that Labour is split over how crap is Ed, so this poll suggests that maybe Ed is not crap or, more subtly, that Labour supporters have already discounted Ed's crapness.
    I suspect that some Tories are counting on the "pencil hover-ers".

Those people who went into the poll station* intending to vote Kinnock and then decided, last minute, they didn't want him as PM and plumped for Major instead.

(Hyperbole: with hindsight the swing started in earnest in the last week of the campaign)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What it shows is that Labour were doing very poorly as the main opposition for much of the Parliament, certainly in comparison with pre-UKIP days. This meant that if previous trends were repeated the tories could be expected to win comfortably.

But these trends are not being followed and the Labour lead is holding up. Each week that goes by with this situation makes the effect of swingback less significant resulting in more Labour seats. We are getting close to the crossover point where it is more likely than not that Labour will have the most seats on the model. It simply requires the polling to remain static for a very short period of time now.

The two things are linked, don't you think? Labour failed to get the usual midterm anti-government surge (UKIP got it instead) and just picked up the much more politically-aware Red Liberals (who are possibly the most motivated part of the electorate today). Swingback isn't happening to any great extent because it needs the defecting Red Liberals to suddenly start thinking that the Tories are quite good really, whereas this group is actually more viscerally anti-Tory than many regular Labour supporters. Obviously the Conservatives could try to pick up lots of people who voted for Gordon, but that's always been a long shot.

What the Red Liberals need could d with is a leading figure, who would be actively anti-Tory but who could exact terms from Labour (e.g. no authoritarian police legislation) and be a visible standard-bearer whose support Labour needed to nurture.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Seema Kennedy selected to defend South Ribble by the Tories. Stood in Ashton in 2010, born in Blackburn, currently a Cllr in St Albans

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    My kinda thread!!!

YG Sunday Times LAB 347 CON 259 LD 18 Other 26 (ukpr)

Survation LAB 372 CON 223 LD 28 Other 27

Ed is crap is PM every poll makes Ed is crap is PM less than 10.3 months to go
  • Options
    The Survation VI question is:

"Q2. If there was a General Election taking place tomorrow, and there was a candidate from all political parties standing in your constituency, which party do you think you would vote for?"

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Jean-Claude-Juncker-Poll-MoS.pdf
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2014
    I'd be amazed if Labour don't win in 2015. Re-balancing the economy is going to be painful, and most of the effort has yet to come.

There's still a sizable proportion of the electorate who believe that the main wellspring of conservatism is malice, they'll likely prefer kindly Uncle Ed to wield a more compassionate axe. To paraphrase St Augustine, "Lord make us solvent, but not yet".
  • Options

DavidL said:

The two things are linked, don't you think? Labour failed to get the usual midterm anti-government surge (UKIP got it instead) and just picked up the much more politically-aware Red Liberals (who are possibly the most motivated part of the electorate today). Swingback isn't happening to any great extent because it needs the defecting Red Liberals to suddenly start thinking that the Tories are quite good really, whereas this group is actually more viscerally anti-Tory than many regular Labour supporters. Obviously the Conservatives could try to pick up lots of people who voted for Gordon, but that's always been a long shot.

What the Red Liberals need could d with is a leading figure, who would be actively anti-Tory but who could exact terms from Labour (e.g. no authoritarian police legislation) and be a visible standard-bearer whose support Labour needed to nurture.
    I'll tell you what will stop a Labour Majority Nick -

A national thunderstorm on polling day.

I'm not joking on that one either. Fundamentally Labour has the ground and the numbers in their favour, but your conversion of support to people trudging down to the ballot box is awful from what I can work out so far this parliament.

Or do Labour voters only give a stuff about the General Election, if so will they turn out on a rainy day ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

That probably try, but the obvious standard bearer, Farron, is sacrificing his party's interest for the shot at DPM in a Labour coalition.

As for the swingback, doesn't your analysis imply there should be scope for swingback from UKIP to the Tories. Admittedly that's harder (each switcher worth 1pt not 2pt on the Lab/Tory scale) but would also explain why the swing to Labour this parliament has been limited
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    Peter Hitchens on Cameron supporters

"These people are like advertising men stuck with a product that is no good, a car that breaks down, a soap that crumbles into powdery grease when it touches water, a foodstuff that tastes disgusting and cleaves to the tongue. Yet they have signed a contract to promote it.

At all costs they must keep the consumer from seeing the truth until after he has bought the merchandise. One way of doing this is to spread negative stories about rival products.

The shameful and childish personal abuse directed against Ed Miliband has now reached a point where honourable Conservatives must be tempted to vote Labour in protest against it.

The reason for this Stalinist destruction of personal credit is simple. There is no political difference of any significance between the two men. So instead we are supposed to make up our minds on the basis of the size of Mr Miliband’s teeth. Heaven itself cannot help a nation which settles its future on this basis."

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes, clearly UKIP were far more successful than Labour in picking up the anti government, the country is going to the dogs vote. Equally clearly there is a section of the electorate who are left wing but did not like invading countries on made up evidence and police state measures like identity cards. They feel betrayed that "their" party got in bed with the tories and they seem to feel pretty strongly about it. It will probably require yet another new Labour authoritarian government to detach them again.

The tories need to focus on the softer parts of the Labour vote. Those in the public sector who were scared by the, well, lies told so effectively by Mandelson and others, those who thought the tories were indifferent to unemployment and now find friends and families in jobs, those who look at Labour's apparent indifference to a deficit of £100bn and are concerned they don't seem to think dealing with it is a priority, those who watch Benefit Street and get annoyed, who agree with the benefit cap and think the State is too generous to other people (not themselves of course).

There are votes to be had from these groups and the tories will also benefit from the collapse of the Liberal coalition. I just don't see it being enough. Not nearly enough in fact.

• Options
    @Innocent_Abroad

pre budget statement- November

Rise in starting rate of income tax to £11k with promise to align in further years with minimum wage
    Generous increase in minimum wage
    Generous settlement for pensioners

Budget -March 2015.

Osborne will no longer be constrained by coalition and this will be effectively vote for us if you want this. He may even risk having the budget voted down by Lib/Lab amendments to remove bits they don't like and promising to implement them in post May emergency budget

Measures:

Reduction in Higher rate income tax from 40% to 38% with promise to eventially abolish it by incremental reductions as the economy allows, merging tax and national insurance and having flat rate of 30% for those earning less than £150k.

Rise in Married couples allowance to be worth £500 instead of £200 pa.

Major hike in benefits in kind threshold from £8,500 to £25,000. This will exempt white van man from taxes on his van and also encourage companies to grant cars via salary sacrifice, ie pay cut to below £25k in return for car+fuel. Good for strivers, hard working families and business.

Abolition in means testing for council tax benefit for pensioners who have less than £20,000 income. No funding to councils to pay for it, instead they will be free to cut council tax benefit for shirkers under 65.

to pay for it.

Capital means tests applied to tax credits. (aligning with UC). No more money for shirkers with savings

Tax Credit child element capped at two children maximum. Existing claimants unaffected (but only until change in circumstances which wont be shouted- as will be case with UC)

After one year self employment, tax credits to be based on you earning minimum wage, even if you don't [which is what will happen with UC]. Crackdown on bogus self employed who leech of the taxes of hard working families.

All benefits paid to non working under 65 to be treated as taxable income, so skivers getting as much benefits as taxpayers will also pay tax on them if benefits exceeed minumum tax threshold (11k per year).

• Options
    isam said:

"These people are like advertising men stuck with a product that is no good, a car that breaks down, a soap that crumbles into powdery grease when it touches water, a foodstuff that tastes disgusting and cleaves to the tongue. Yet they have signed a contract to promote it.

At all costs they must keep the consumer from seeing the truth until after he has bought the merchandise. One way of doing this is to spread negative stories about rival products.

The shameful and childish personal abuse directed against Ed Miliband has now reached a point where honourable Conservatives must be tempted to vote Labour in protest against it.

The reason for this Stalinist destruction of personal credit is simple. There is no political difference of any significance between the two men. So instead we are supposed to make up our minds on the basis of the size of Mr Miliband’s teeth. Heaven itself cannot help a nation which settles its future on this basis."

So which bit of that piece isn't personal abuse?

If you actually look at what the Government has achieved despite being a coalition and with a terrible starting point it's actually pretty good. It's not perfect...or even nearly perfect... but anyone who believes that a Miliband/Balls government would have been - or will be - the same is just a fool.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    DavidL said:

The sad (from my perspective) truth is that swing back is not happening, the tories are going nowhere and the odds on a Labour majority really should be falling fast. As a predictive tool I have considerable reservations about Fisher's analysis but as a tend indicator it s proving very valuable indeed.

I think the trend is clear and am moving back to a Labour majority being the most likely outcome, having always believed that they were likely to have the most seats. I am really struggling to see what can change this now. Fantastic economic results have not done it. A well received budget achieved no more than a temporary boost. Europe certainly won't do it, on historical precedent it will achieve the reverse. The majority now have their view of Ed. It's not flattering but it is priced in. Tory supporters, like myself, really have to answer the question of what is going to change this? I am struggling.

A sensible post and a sensible betting position. I'm increasingly of the opinion that the Tories have too much to do to remain largest party, and that majority is off the table. labour will, I think, fall just short of majority, but look certain to be largest party as it stands.
    The Tories are simply unable to burst through the 34 ceiling, and will remain unable to do so whilst UKIP are in double figures.
    All hands on seat defence/stop the majority
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

If you actually look at what the Government has achieved despite being a coalition and with a terrible starting point it's actually pretty good. It's not perfect...or even nearly perfect... but anyone who believes that a Miliband/Balls government would have been - or will be - the same is just a fool.
    None of it is personal abuse

It is criticism of someone on the basis of the job they are doing
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

- Promoting a product that they know is no good
    - Doing so by lying to the consumer (voter)
    - Personally spreading "shameful and childish" negative stories
    - "Stalinist"

Those also sound pretty abusive to me. And directly aimed at Cameron et al.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,394
    There remains a fundamental disconnect between the expectations of PB Tories and reality. Two main areas of away with the faries-ness:

1. Ed is Crap. Their deeply held and sincere dislike of Ed blinds them to the fact that they sit on the extreme end of the opinion spectrum (along with Hodges and the rump of Progress-New-Labour entryists whose predictable rantings don't actually mean a Labour split no matter how much the press spin it). For most normals all politicians are crap,its just a question of how much crap. And they rate most of the Tories highly on the crap scale too.

2. The economy is amazing, where's our poll boost. Again it's the split between the official stats and reality. According to the numbers we're almost back to pre-crash levels. According to the polls and economic performance of the retail sector we remain broke. People can see a recovery for a select few, hear the government crowing about how well we are all doing, then look at their own finances and feel conned. And angry.

No economic recovery = no Tory victory regardless of Ed being crap or not.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    DavidL said:

I'm puzzled why (from your point of view) you're so pessimistic.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone.

Not sure I believe this poll, for either the blue or red numbers.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Paul [9.24am] I hope GO is reading this, for your sake! (Or maybe you work in his office...)

I didn't understand the bit about pensioners' Council Tax. Are you saying that all those with incomes under £20k will be exempted?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and just tweeted Survation to ask if they seriously believe the numbers in their poll as it looks they are heading for a 1992 moment.

• Options

Paul [9.24am] I hope GO is reading this, for your sake! (Or maybe you work in his office...)

I didn't understand the bit about pensioners' Council Tax. Are you saying that all those with incomes under £20k will be exempted?

I think he's saying that *all* pensioners will be exempted (rather than just those with income of less than 20K).

But that there will be no central government funding for it, so councils will have to pay for it.

As an aside, does anyone have the details of Miliband's pledge to increase local council funding by £30bn. I've only heard the R4 headline but no detail. If it's just an increase in the block grant that's a terrible idea, but if it is a step back to giving councilors real tax raising and spending responsibility it's an important move.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    IMHO any November and March measures are too late. Every public sector worker is significantly worse off under the coalition and can see the top 1% are not in it together. No sweeties tomorrow will change that.

My net pay is even less in cash terms than it was in 2010 due to massive pension contributions hikes 6.5% to 12.9% outweighing pay freeze and 1% pay awards. Taking account of inflation in prices i am a minimum of 10% worse off.

Majority of nurses are still receiving a 0% pay award this year after 4 years of either 0% or 1%. Not election winning policy in my book.
  • Options

Morning all and just tweeted Survation to ask if they seriously believe the numbers in their poll as it looks they are heading for a 1992 moment.

What's the average for UKIP with the other pollsters?

If - for the sake of argument - you think UKIP is around 17% (I think that's at the top end of the range of the other pollsters), with the balance being Tories, then that makes the Survation poll 36/32 L/T which is more or less in line with the other polls.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Because the polls are simply not shifting. For a period after the budget it looked as if we might get crossover but June has been a terrible month for the tories as Bigjohnowls has consistently and correctly pointed out.

Several other things are not happening that are needed for a tory win. Firstly, so far, the UKIP vote is proving more robust than anticipated after the Euros. Secondly, the Lib Dems are getting absolutely nowhere in recovering their support from Labour, in fact it is getting marginally worse. Thirdly, although the economic news is generally good to excellent the latest household stats showed real standards of living for the majority are still falling, RochdalePioneers point. Fourthly, and disastrously, the tories are talking about Europe again which is always a mistake.

Labour could implode. Ed underwhelms much of his shadow cabinet and that breaking into the open could create the perception of a divided party unfit for government. But can the tories really count on Labour committing hari kari? The same party that was willing to follow Brown over the precipice?

• Options
    Charles said:

If - for the sake of argument - you think UKIP is around 17% (I think that's at the top end of the range of the other pollsters), with the balance being Tories, then that makes the Survation poll 36/32 L/T which is more or less in line with the other polls.
    UKIP got 18% in the 2014 local elections, and 27.5% in the EU Parliament elections.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I'd like to think UKIP will win 22%, but you and I know that 10% or so is more likely. So, where will that other 12% go?

• Options

Charles said:

UKIP got 18% in the 2014 local elections, and 27.5% in the EU Parliament elections.
    And GE polls are measuring something different.

You can believe that all the polls are wrong if you like. So did some of the republicans before Romney lost
  • Options
    I don't quite see how you can have "excellent" economic stats and falling household incomes at the same time...
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

- "Stalinist"

Personal abuse is calling Ed a geek, taking the mick out of his teeth etc

If it were aimed at Cameron, personal abuse might mention a bald spot or a red face

But Hitchens doesn't do that, he attacks Cameron for having no substance, and for pretending to be a conservative without acting like one.

The fact this is true is borne out by the votes he has lost to ukip
  • Options

There remains a fundamental disconnect between the expectations of PB Tories and reality. Two main areas of away with the faries-ness:

1. Ed is Crap. Their deeply held and sincere dislike of Ed blinds them to the fact that they sit on the extreme end of the opinion spectrum (along with Hodges and the rump of Progress-New-Labour entryists whose predictable rantings don't actually mean a Labour split no matter how much the press spin it). For most normals all politicians are crap,its just a question of how much crap. And they rate most of the Tories highly on the crap scale too.

2. The economy is amazing, where's our poll boost. Again it's the split between the official stats and reality. According to the numbers we're almost back to pre-crash levels. According to the polls and economic performance of the retail sector we remain broke. People can see a recovery for a select few, hear the government crowing about how well we are all doing, then look at their own finances and feel conned. And angry.

No economic recovery = no Tory victory regardless of Ed being crap or not.

Both points are true as far as they go, but polling does suggest the public think the Conservatives have a better leadership team than Labour, do think a modest economic recovery is under way, and do give some credit to the government for it.

• Options
    edited June 2014

I don't quite see how you can have "excellent" economic stats and falling household incomes at the same time...

Because a reduction in consumption and more money going into investment and exports is exactly what is needed by the economy. We have been living beyond our means for far to long and the recovery is largely about rebalancing. Real progress is being made on this: http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/002032.html#more

"Revised first quarter GDP figures, released on Friday, confirm the "better balanced" story. Business investment rose by 5% in the quarter, for an increase of more than 10% on a year earlier. Investment is much smaller as a proportion of GDP than consumer spending but over the past year it has made as big a contribution to growth."

Reductions in real wages are also not exactly unconnected to the rise in employment.

But none of this, while necessary, is winning many votes and those that claim that it is creating resentment amongst those who don't see any additional crumbs from the cake have a point.

• Options
    Charles said:

I have no beef against the conservatives but those are two of the most desperate posts I have seen on here

Ukip on 22%? Just take off the amount we think they are wrong by and give it to the conservatives'!

I've tweeted the pollster to tell them they are wrong!!

Have you told CCHQ they have got the membership numbers wrong as well?!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Good morning, everyone.

I'd like to think UKIP will win 22%, but you and I know that 10% or so is more likely. So, where will that other 12% go?

An interesting vote play could be what the LD+UKIP outcome is. I'd reckon it'll be about 24 (quite similar to the last election when it was 22+3).

My view is that UKIP will be around 10-12 (I had them on 6-8 previously so good progress), with the LD on 12-14. But you could easily see the LD slip back further than this.

Does anyone offer sensible odds on a 3+4 vote share combo?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

You can believe that all the polls are wrong if you like. So did some of the republicans before Romney lost
    You're the one choosing to wish away polls you don't like, not me.

• Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

- "Stalinist"

If it were aimed at Cameron, personal abuse might mention a bald spot or a red face

But Hitchens doesn't do that, he attacks Cameron for having no substance, and for pretending to be a conservative without acting like one.

Calling someone a liar or a Stalinist is abusive and personal.

It's not reasoned political argument.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

The sad (from my perspective) truth is that swing back is not happening, the tories are going nowhere and the odds on a Labour majority really should be falling fast. As a predictive tool I have considerable reservations about Fisher's analysis but as a tend indicator it s proving

Because the polls are simply not shifting. For a period after the budget it looked as if we might get crossover but June has been a terrible month for the tories as Bigjohnowls has consistently and correctly pointed out.

Several other things are not happening that are needed for a tory win. Firstly, so far, the UKIP vote is proving more robust than anticipated after the Euros. Secondly, the Lib Dems are getting absolutely nowhere in recovering their support from Labour, in fact it is getting marginally worse. Thirdly, although the economic news is generally good to excellent the latest household stats showed real standards of living for the majority are still falling, RochdalePioneers point. Fourthly, and disastrously, the tories are talking about Europe again which is always a mistake.

Labour could implode. Ed underwhelms much of his shadow cabinet and that breaking into the open could create the perception of a divided party unfit for government. But can the tories really count on Labour committing hari kari? The same party that was willing to follow Brown over the precipice?

Why would you expect the polls to shift at this point? They weren't shifting to the Tories in June 1986. Labour showed no sign of recovery in June 2009. Yet, shift they did, in the end.
  • Options
    Mr. F, it might not go anywhere. It might just stay at home.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

- "Stalinist"

He doesn't call him a liar or Stalinist, he says the tactic of abusing your rival is Stalinist
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

I have no beef against the conservatives but those are two of the most desperate posts I have seen on here

Ukip on 22%? Just take off the amount we think they are wrong by and give it to the conservatives'!

Actually I don't rate Survation at all, so just ignore their output.

What I am saying is that in my view they systematically overstate UKIP and understate the Tories. That is a flaw with their methodology. I don't know how much by - but if *for the sake of argument* it is 5% then that would put them in line with the other polls.

Of course they could be right any everyone else wrong, but I'd rather trust ICM.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited June 2014

Maybe the public hates the way the tories do business in Europe. All the craven language, the soft pedalling, the courting of unappealing foreigners with no stake in our country.

They don;t see why, if we want powers back, we don;t just take them. What are the EU going to do, send an army?? All this 'tough road ahead - big battles to fight...' stuff is just so much weakling cowardly guff to the man in the street.

In a way, we look much weaker under the tories than under labour, where we just quietly accepted everything.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

You're the one choosing to wish away polls you don't like, not me.

Nope - as per my response to Sam - I don't trust Survation. So I'll stick with ICM. Populous if fun because it favours my preferred team, but 'll still focus on ICM.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

DavidL said:

What the Red Liberals need could d with is a leading figure, who would be actively anti-Tory but who could exact terms from Labour (e.g. no authoritarian police legislation)
    Are Labour planning any "authoritarian police legislation" and, if so, what? Thought you might be in a position to know.

• Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

- "Stalinist"

He doesn't call him a liar or Stalinist, he says the tactic of abusing your rival is Stalinist
    He says that he is selling a product that doesn't work by lying to the consumer.

He accuses him of spreading negative stories, which he describes as a Stalinist tactic.

• Options

Yes, all pensioners with household income under £20k exempted, effectively paid for by cutting council tax benefit for under 65s.

Work in Gideons office ROTFL :)

There is indeed a danger that posting something like this will give him ideas, but the aim is to set out the sort of things I think they will do to shore up their own vote and put labour and liberals on the backfoot.

The biggest risk with the tax credit changes is that they might be seen as an admission that UC is dead in the water and reveal some of UCs nasty surprises the wrong side of the election, but that could possibly be dismissed as labour scaremongering.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

As was pointed out, no it doesn't. As waging war for the Queen's enemies (ie al-Qaeda) doesn't seem to constitute High Treason any more, for some reason, I suspect the Treason Act is effectively dead in the water.

• Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Actually I don't rate Survation at all, so just ignore their output.

What I am saying is that in my view they systematically overstate UKIP and understate the Tories. That is a flaw with their methodology. I don't know how much by - but if *for the sake of argument* it is 5% then that would put them in line with the other polls.

Of course they could be right any everyone else wrong, but I'd rather trust ICM.
    None of the pollsters seem to have adapted to four party politics, ICM had ukip in 20% in the euros, one poll had 38%, and they got 27%

ICM had Labour on 35% and they got nowhere near that

Another had the Tories winning, and they finished 3rd

Anyone could pick and choose favourable polls for their party and bad ones for others to make a partisan point, but none of those arguments have any solid foundation behind them.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll tell you what will stop a Labour Majority Nick -

A national thunderstorm on polling day.

I'm not joking on that one either. Fundamentally Labour has the ground and the numbers in their favour, but your conversion of support to people trudging down to the ballot box is awful from what I can work out so far this parliament.

Or do Labour voters only give a stuff about the General Election, if so will they turn out on a rainy day ?

Pretty much, in marginals. We underperformed in local elections and Euros before 2010 too. Also, the lack of Tory foot-soldiers (except for special mobilisations like Newark) means that they're short of canvass data for people without listed phone numbers. GOTV is difficult when you don't know who you voters are, as UKIP have found too.
    Charles said:

As for the swingback, doesn't your analysis imply there should be scope for swingback from UKIP to the Tories. Admittedly that's harder (each switcher worth 1pt not 2pt on the Lab/Tory scale) but would also explain why the swing to Labour this parliament has been limited

Yes, that's possible. But the scope is limited. Take today's YG, which is fairly typical of recent polls. UKIP is on 14%. Say they drop to 8% - which isn't that much higher than UKIP+BNP in 2010 (I'm not saying UKIP is like the BNP, but BNP voters will see them as next best now the BNP is a busted flush). Of that 6% drop, polls suggest that half simply won't vote, in the same way that they didn't vote last time. Say the Tories get 2/3 of the remainder - that narrows the gap by...1 point.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

- "Stalinist"

Agreed, legitimate political attack by Hitchens rather than abuse.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    David L

For goodness sake man, grow a pair!! The UK polling report average is sitting at 32/35. The fact that YouGov fluctuates on a daily basis from 1 to 7 leads for Labour is more an indication of problems with their weighting. Survation showed the difference between 1st and 3rd in the Euro elections at 9% whereas in reality it was 3.6%. A poll on Friday had the parties back to 1% apart and ICM has the difference at 2%. The Ashcroft Tory/Lib Dem marginals has us winning 15 LibDem seats and all this almost a year before the GE.

Both Margaret Thatcher and John Major trailed Labour heavily, in the latter case right up to polling day and both still won overall majorities. The GE2015 looks like the 1st since 1983 when the LibDems will be back to a fringe party. The Tories just need to beat Labour by 326 votes provided each of those votes is in separate seats. Even Peter Kellner is now saying the notion of 4-7% leads to secure a Tory win is no longer relevant, provided the LibDems remain in the doldrums.
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, there is no death penalty for treason. It was abolished by Jack Straw when Home Secretary.
This discussion has been closed.