Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling on whom would make the best Tory leader after Dave

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling on whom would make the best Tory leader after Dave

YouGov asked If David Cameron were to step down as leader of the Conservative Party, which of the following do you think would make the best leader?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Surprised so many people have an opinion.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    Surprised Johnson's figures are still holding up. I thought his star was on the wane.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,939
    "Two pregnant women were turned away from the Queen’s Hospital maternity unit when the department became full and closed for four hours in April, it has emerged.

Jas Athwal, leader of the Redbridge Labour party, described the news as an “absolute shock”.

He added: “Queen’s was built for 300,000 people in mind but now it has to cope with 800,000 - it is not right. "

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/two_women_turned_away_from_queen_s_hospital_maternity_department_after_it_closes_for_four_hours_1_3630975
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,831
    Bit unfair to compare Theresa May with Gordon Brown. She has at least been competent in her job. The Home Office is a poisoned chalice and she has lasted longer than most, without anything major (like a terrorist attack on the Olympics) happening on her watch.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    isam said:

"Two pregnant women were turned away from the Queen’s Hospital maternity unit when the department became full and closed for four hours in April, it has emerged.

Jas Athwal, leader of the Redbridge Labour party, described the news as an “absolute shock”.

He added: “Queen’s was built for 300,000 people in mind but now it has to cope with 800,000 - it is not right. "

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/two_women_turned_away_from_queen_s_hospital_maternity_department_after_it_closes_for_four_hours_1_3630975

Indeed - a complete disgrace. Clearly another hospital is needed.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

isam said:

Clearly the people responsible for opening the borders before building the housing, schools and hospitals needed for such a suddenly and vastly increased population should be held criminally responsible for all the harm they did to other people by their policy.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Much as I dislike Theresa May, to compare her to Gordon Brown is a bit unjust. Nobody is like that walking disaster.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    I have some sympathy for Theresa.

After all, she is doing the nation a service by putting Gove back in his box. For that, we should all rejoice.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

isam said:

Clearly the people responsible for opening the borders before building the housing, schools and hospitals needed for such a suddenly and vastly increased population should be held criminally responsible for all the harm they did to other people by their policy.

Lose the word "criminally" and I would agree with you 100%. But now that they are here, what do we do? Keep turning expectant mothers away from hospitals or build extra infrastructure?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,473
    edited June 2014
    I find it quite depressing that all the people except Boris on this list are in the Cabinet.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Never let it be said TSE isn't nice to the left - a Sunday of threads to put their own troubles to the side.

• Options

MrJones said:

isam said:

Lose the word "criminally" and I would agree with you 100%. But now that they are here, what do we do? Keep turning expectant mothers away from hospitals or build extra infrastructure?

No I think the word "criminally" should very much stay in. The people responsible for opening the borders are responsible for all the harm that's been done by their policy and in an ideal world they would very much be on trial for something akin to New Labour's law on corporate manslaughter. It would make a very fitting use of that law.

What do we do? We stop mass immigration.

Regardless of arguments over the net cost of unlimited mass immigration it is self-evident that if you import millions of extra people - especially when the vast majority are low-skilled - *before* you build the infrastructure to cope with those numbers then you will be harming existing citizens - not where you live or doing the work you do - but millions of others.

Causing that amount of harm to people who nominally fellow citizens should be a crime.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,643
    I was a bit puzzled this morning. There was me thinking that a couple of weeks ago the voters of North East England said 'non' to Martin Callanan, and yet there he was, popping up on the Sunday Politics presenting the UK Conservative's position on the Euro-prez bun fight, and also offering himself up to be our next Euro commissioner. Democracy in action?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

No I think the word "criminally" should very much stay in. The people responsible for opening the borders are responsible for all the harm that's been done by their policy and in an ideal world they would very much be on trial for something akin to New Labour's law on corporate manslaughter. It would make a very fitting use of that law...

Causing that amount of harm to people who nominally fellow citizens should be a crime.

The traditional method of holding miscreant ministers to account was to attaint them by Act of Parliament. There is a reason, however, that it has gone out of fashion. The maxim is nullum crimen sine lege. Free societies do not punish people for actions or omissions (no matter how deplorable they may have been) which were not unlawful at the time they were committed. Then again, you do not strike me as an advocate of a free society.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited June 2014
    Keep an eye on Sajid Javid is my tip. If the Tories do win in 2105, as majority, minority or coalition, he is bound to get a more senior Cabinet role (I wouldn't even rule out Home Secretary replacing Mrs May!).

And should Osborne not contest the Cameron succession in 2017/8, I reckon he would stand an excellent chance with the electorate of party members.

Edit: And I wouldn't rule him out as the new broom either in the event of defeat.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

No I think the word "criminally" should very much stay in. The people responsible for opening the borders are responsible for all the harm that's been done by their policy and in an ideal world they would very much be on trial for something akin to New Labour's law on corporate manslaughter. It would make a very fitting use of that law.

Regardless of arguments over the net cost of unlimited mass immigration it is self-evident that if you import millions of extra people - especially when the vast majority are low-skilled - *before* you build the infrastructure to cope with those numbers then you will be harming existing citizens - not where you live or doing the work you do - but millions of others.

As far as I can see they did not break any laws, let alone criminal ones. But I guess it is open to anyone to bring a private prosecution.

Now we are where we are. So what do we do?
  • Options

MrJones said:

No I think the word "criminally" should very much stay in. The people responsible for opening the borders are responsible for all the harm that's been done by their policy and in an ideal world they would very much be on trial for something akin to New Labour's law on corporate manslaughter. It would make a very fitting use of that law...

The traditional method of holding miscreant ministers to account was to attaint them by Act of Parliament. There is a reason, however, that it has gone out of fashion. The maxim is nullum crimen sine lege. Free societies do not punish people for actions or omissions (no matter how deplorable they may have been) which were not unlawful at the time they were committed. Then again, you do not strike me as an advocate of a free society.
    "in an ideal world they would very much be on trial for something akin to"
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2014
    One of those polls which is of next to no value imho - simply because a very large proportion of the voting population don't know the names of any Tory politician other than Cameron. (many would not even be able to identify him say from a photograph). This is clearly evident from the enormous 48% of "don't knows". The one and only reason Boris is the clear leader is that his face is regularly on TV and in the newspapers.

I suspect that if those who actually select the candidates were to be polled, i.e. the Tory MPs, Boris would come plumb bottom of this quartet.

Further comment is futile - next thread please.
  • Options

As far as I can see they did not break any laws, let alone criminal ones. But I guess it is open to anyone to bring a private prosecution.

Not after the dubious decision of the Supreme Court in R (on the application of Gujra) v Crown Prosecution Service [2012] UKSC 52, which has all but abolished the historic right to institute private prosecutions. One is tempted to think that the majority did all they could to ensure that only private prosecutions instituted by the RSPCA and the Federation against Copyright Theft would continue. Lord Mance's dissent is, in my view, plainly right.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

We stop mass immigration.

Importing millions of extra people *before* building the infrastructure self-evidently harms existing citizens.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Just been looking at some past local election results. UKIP are going to make the 2015 election night programme a lot more interesting.

Last parliament and this one.

2006: Con 39%, Lab 26%, LD 25%, Others 10%
    2007: Con 40%, Lab 26%, LD 24%, Others 10%
    2008: Con 43%, Lab 24%, LD 23%, Others 10%
    2009: Con 35%, Lab 22%, LD 25%, Others 18%

(2010 GE: Con 36%, Lab 29%, LD 23%, Others 12%)

2011: Con 38%, Lab 37%, LD 16%, Others 9%
    2012: Con 33%, Lab 39%, LD 15%, Others 13%
    2013: Con 26%, Lab 29%, LD 13%, UKIP 22% (Others 10%)
    2014: Con 30%, Lab 31%, LD 11%, UKIP 18% (Others 10%)

(1979-2012 p.41 of PDF)
    http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP12-43/uk-election-statistics-19182012
    http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP13-30/local-elections-2013
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/focus/article1414718.ece
  • Options
    on topic the Con leadership contest is like the EU president and the ex USSR: the choice is between a pre-vetted list of people who share the same opinions on the most critical issues or they wouldn't have got into the position where they could be chosen
  • Options

Just been looking at some past local election results. UKIP are going to make the 2015 election night programme a lot more interesting.

(1979-2012 p.41 of PDF)
    http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP12-43/uk-election-statistics-19182012

Yeah it could be wildly random.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,347
    The Gove/May row is curious in itself, since although the allegations clearly need to be investigated, the scope is pretty small, and the issue "Who wrote the most worried letter earlier about some Birmingham schools in 2011?" doesn't lend itself to a ready catchphrase. Presumably it is a proxy for leadership ambitions, but does anyone really feel Gove is even faintly plausible in that context?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

Importing millions of extra people *before* building the infrastructure self-evidently harms existing citizens.

But stopping mass immigration does not solve the infrastructure problems we have now.

• Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

The Gove/May row is curious in itself, since although the allegations clearly need to be investigated, the scope is pretty small, and the issue "Who wrote the most worried letter earlier about some Birmingham schools in 2011?" doesn't lend itself to a ready catchphrase. Presumably it is a proxy for leadership ambitions, but does anyone really feel Gove is even faintly plausible in that context?

No not even Gove himself he has publicly ruled himself out, he has though done a superb job in Education and if he wasn't so good Cam might have taken the option of getting rid.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited June 2014

(1979-2012 p.41 of PDF)

I may be wrong but I think the figures quoted are a mixture of actual vote shares and calculated national equivalent vote shares . Also the 2010 GE figure given I think includes NI .
  • Options

It strikes me as being a lot more about a minister trying to shift blame for missing something that should have been noticed. Wasn't Gove warned about this back in 2010? Don't academies and free schools with no local authority oversight make it harder to spot Trojan horse campaigns of whatever kind?

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

MrJones said:

isam said:

The answer is obvious.

Get the Catholic Church involved like in other countries. We are already involved in the NHS, Poles are already setting up dental surgeries and GP practices and we already are expanding the State school sector. There must be oodles of nurses and doctors in Poland doing nothing.

Planned immigration. Interesting to see what @isam thinks of that.
  • Options

It strikes me as being a lot more about a minister trying to shift blame for missing something that should have been noticed. Wasn't Gove warned about this back in 2010? Don't academies and free schools with no local authority oversight make it harder to spot Trojan horse campaigns of whatever kind?

Exactly. It is Gove's ideological free school policy that has made it so much easier for dodgy groups to infiltrate, take over and now set up schools. The blame rests with him, and he needs to acknowledge his full responsibility.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014
    John

This is very dangerous advice.

Sajid Javid is a self-confessed "cult science fiction" lover with a 'cultural education' in "U2 and Bollywood Films". He also believes in promoting working class talent within the subsidised arts and in broadening their appeal to "black and ethnic communities" and the "culturally disadvantaged".

He quotes Captain Jean-Luc Picard from "The Next Generation, season three, episode 26."

He believes that the Arts should be funded by banks, successful corporations and the billionaires newly attracted to Britain by Osborne's meritocratic tax regime.

I tell you, John, all this will end in tears.

The last time the banks started to finance Opera they bought boxes at Covent Garden and filled them with champagne drunk market traders who interrupted performances at critical moments with cries of "Bring on the fat lady!".

Such policies lead to our National Theatre funding subversive, Northern playwrights penning political dialectics for the stage.

They lead to political bloggers quoting snippets from the lyrics to the popular tunes of the nineteen eighties.

We have a war to wage, John. All this is fuel to the fire being set by Farage.

What the Arts need is more Nimrod, more folk music, more morris dancing and more Shakespeare. Why is it only the Last Night of the Proms which features patriotic music? We shouldn't need to wait a whole summer.

Javid must mend his ways if he is to be a leadership contender.
    JohnO said:

Keep an eye on Sajid Javid is my tip. If the Tories do win in 2105, as majority, minority or coalition, he is bound to get a more senior Cabinet role (I wouldn't even rule out Home Secretary replacing Mrs May!).

And should Osborne not contest the Cameron succession in 2017/8, I reckon he would stand an excellent chance with the electorate of party members.

Edit: And I wouldn't rule him out as the new broom either in the event of defeat.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    With regard to the Gove-May love-in,the impact is likely to be felt in cabinet where relations are increasingly poisonous.Is Teresa May or Michael Gove the sort of person to bear a grudge?When will Osborne counter-attack and Johnson make his mind up?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

MrJones said:

Would I be right in thinking that the Treason Act 1351 was quite groundbreaking, in that it made plain that mere opposition to the government of the day did not constitute treason?

People were still subsequently executed, for being on the losing side of political disputes, but such executions were either unlawful, or else had to be authorised by specific Acts of Attainder.

• Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

They didn't break any law, that's the scandal.

This is what impeachment is for.
  • Options

(1979-2012 p.41 of PDF)

I may be wrong but I think the figures quoted are a mixture of actual vote shares and calculated national equivalent vote shares . Also the 2010 GE figure given I think includes NI .
    The local election numbers are all NEV.
  • Options
    antifrank1antifrank1 Posts: 81
    Where can I bet on this "DK" and what kind of backstory do they have?
  • Options
    I love DK as a potential tory leader.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014
    The Gove/May row is nothing more than personal needle drawing blood.

All great Italian operas, regardless of the political or historical weight of their plots and characters, boil down to a simple formula: "a tenor and a soprano want to make love and are prevented from doing so by a baritone." [GBS]

It would be fanciful to cast May as the Soprano, Gove as the Tenor and Cameron as the Baritone but the story fits.

Maybe it is just a lower form of opera. This is what the Spectator reports:

So, when Michael Gove slated the Home Secretary’s approach to one of the great issues of our time, Islamic extremism, it was inevitable that there would be a reaction. Particularly, as the civil servant who Gove criticised, Charles Farr, is in a relationship with May’s adviser Fiona Cunningham.

Operatic farce not tragedy is the genre.

• Options

Exactly. It is Gove's ideological free school policy that has made it so much easier for dodgy groups to infiltrate, take over and now set up schools. The blame rests with him, and he needs to acknowledge his full responsibility.
    Complete b*ll*cks.

This all happened in Maintained Schools.
  • Options
    So can we expect to see Gove and May supping a couple of pints of London Pride in a Westminster pub at 11:00 tomorrow morning?
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

I have drawn England in our pub sweepstakes. We are doomed.

Costa Rica looks like the value in that group. Italy are pisspoor too.

To qualify from Group D

Italy 4/9 (various)
    England 4/7 (Betfair, Betdaq)
    Uruguay 4/7 (Hills)
    Costa Rica 12/1 (Betfair)

Agreed. 12/1 looks like a silly price.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2014
    Sean_F said:

Would I be right in thinking that the Treason Act 1351 was quite groundbreaking, in that it made plain that mere opposition to the government of the day did not constitute treason?

People were still subsequently executed, for being on the losing side of political disputes, but such executions were either unlawful, or else had to be authorised by specific Acts of Attainder.

The Treason Act 1351 was declaratory of the common law. The aim was to ensure that treason was properly defined, and could not be expanded at the whim of the sovereign of the day. Whether it legitimated political opposition is another matter. First of all, there were several further Treason Acts which were far more restrictive. The Treason Act 1534, for example, made it high treason to call the monarch a heretic, schismatic, tyrant, infidel or usurper of the crown. In addition, the Act of 1351 was subject to some interesting interpretations. Thus in 1387, Richard II asked certain questions of his judges on what constituted treason. The judges declared that if people did certain things not contained in the 1351 Act, they were to be punished as traitors. The Lords Appellant in 1388 insisted the answers to the questions were void, but nevertheless, appealed the likes of Sir Simon Burley on the charge of 'accroaching royal power'.

A dated but nevertheless still excellent article on the operation of the 1351 Act in practice is Stanley B. Chrimes', 'Richard II's Questions to the Judges, 1387', Law Quarterly Review, 72, (1956), pp. 367-390. Other than its excessively Cromwellian bias, G.R. Elton's Policy and Police, (Cambridge, 1972), is good on how Henry VIII's government dealt with opposition from 1530 to 1540.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The Treason Act 1351 was declaratory of the common law. The aim was to ensure that treason was properly defined, and could not be expanded at the whim of the sovereign of the day. Whether it legitimated political opposition is another matter. First of all, there were several further Treason Acts which were far more restrictive. The Treason Act 1534, for example, made it high treason to call the monarch a heretic, schismatic, tyrant, infidel or usurper of the crown. In addition, the Act of 1351 was subject to some interesting interpretations. Thus in 1387, Richard II asked certain questions of his judges on what constituted treason. The judges declared that if people did certain things not contained in the 1351 Act, they were to be punished as traitors. The Lords Appellant in 1388 insisted the answers to the questions were void, but nevertheless, appealed the likes of Sir Simon Burley on the charge of 'accroaching royal power'.

A dated but nevertheless still excellent article on the operation of the 1351 Act in practice is Stanley B. Chrimes', 'Richard II's Questions to the Judges, 1387', Law Quarterly Review, 72, (1956), pp. 367-390. Other than its excessively Cromwellian bias, G.R. Elton's Policy and Police, (Cambridge, 1972), is good on how Henry VIII's government dealt with opposition from 1530 to 1540.
    Thanks.

FPT, those comments on Wings over Scotland are a joy to read. I wonder if Sean T wrote any of them.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    48% select DK? - The gay mafia must have infiltrated further than I thought, if Donna Karan is the preferred choice - she so passé..!
  • Options

(1979-2012 p.41 of PDF)

Next year's local elections will be held on the same day as the General Election, which will depress the vote share for UKIP and Others. Even if UKIP won 10% of the vote, they'd win very few council seats, outside a handful of constituencies where they'll be challenging strongly at Parliamentary level.

That's bad luck for UKIP, as most shire districts have all-out elections next year. In mid-term, they could expect to win hundreds of seats on such authorities.

• Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

But stopping mass immigration does not solve the infrastructure problems we have now.

It stops making them worse.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

It may do. But hospitals for 300,000 are already serving 800,000. What's the solution?

• Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    Jeez, what a bunch. The DKs say it all, I wouldn't employ any of them to run a bath let alone a country.
  • Options

MrJones said:

It may do. But hospitals for 300,000 are already serving 800,000. What's the solution?

There's no may about it. Importing millions of extra people *before* building the infrastructure needed to cope with the numbers e.g. health services, is a perfect example of corporate manslaughter.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

(1979-2012 p.41 of PDF)

Next year's local elections will be held on the same day as the General Election, which will depress the vote share for UKIP and Others. Even if UKIP won 10% of the vote, they'd win very few council seats, outside a handful of constituencies where they'll be challenging strongly at Parliamentary level.

That's bad luck for UKIP, as most shire districts have all-out elections next year. In mid-term, they could expect to win hundreds of seats on such authorities.
    I was expecting UKIP to win more seats this year. It would be interesting to see how many 2nd places they had.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

First you stop the situation getting any worse. That means you stop importing people. Then you build the infrastructure that the current people, plus a small margin for organic growth, need. That means higher taxes on the better off. As an advocate of using taxes for redistribution, I am sure you will be happy to pay say 95% on all income over £35K (no allowances, no avoidance measures), strictly for a limited period of say, 15 years. At the end of that period we will have a more equal society and the infrastructure needed. What is there for you to object to?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

There's no may about it. Importing millions of extra people *before* building the infrastructure needed to cope with the numbers e.g. health services, is a perfect example of corporate manslaughter.

OK, I get it. You have no solutions for dealing with any of the current problems we may face.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,968

So we build hospitals for 850,000. And by the time they are built we need hospitals for well over a million because no one has dealt with the underlying issue of mass immigration. By your methods we would be forever playing catchup.
  • Options

First you stop the situation getting any worse. That means you stop importing people. Then you build the infrastructure that the current people, plus a small margin for organic growth, need. That means higher taxes on the better off. As an advocate of using taxes for redistribution, I am sure you will be happy to pay say 95% on all income over £35K (no allowances, no avoidance measures), strictly for a limited period of say, 15 years. At the end of that period we will have a more equal society and the infrastructure needed. What is there for you to object to?

If that's the programme the British people vote for that's the one I'll have to live with. I am not going to bail out of this country because I have to pay some more tax. But it's not going to happen because it is clearly a ridiculous proposition. However, if hospitals intended for 300,000 are servicing 800,000, there is not enough housing and schools are over-subscribed then we clearly do need a lot more infrastructure of all kinds. How that sits with a policy of substantially cutting income tax and public spending - as I believe is UKIP's policy - is an interesting one to ponder.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    macisback said:

No not even Gove himself he has publicly ruled himself out, he has though done a superb job in Education and if he wasn't so good Cam might have taken the option of getting rid.
    Superb job? Michael Gove has done a superb job? Superb job even if we overlook or blame Theresa May for Trojan Horse? School places? Flogging school playing fields?

Still we have a few Free Schools. Are they free to read Of Mice And Men?
  • Options

So we build hospitals for 850,000. And by the time they are built we need hospitals for well over a million because no one has dealt with the underlying issue of mass immigration. By your methods we would be forever playing catchup.

Nope - it's a given that we stop mass immigration. I am not sure I support that, but for the sake of this argument we do. In such circumstances how do we deal with the problems that we are already said to have?

• Options

Sean_F said:

(1979-2012 p.41 of PDF)

I was expecting UKIP to win more seats this year. It would be interesting to see how many 2nd places they had.

I thought 150-200 gains would be the likeliest outcome.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

OK, I get it. You have no solutions for dealing with any of the current problems we may face.

I thought the answer was self-evident but i'll spell it out for you.

"But hospitals for 300,000 are already serving 800,000. What's the solution?"

Putting it in numbers let's say the excess of people to hospital capacity is one unit of harm so the situation here involves 500,000 units of harm a year.

My definition of "solution" would be reducing the total harm peryear, what's yours?

By my definition adding another 200,000 people would increase the total harm to 700,000 units which on its own self-evidently increases the total harm and makes things worse.

The only way adding an extra 200,000 a year wouldn't increase the total harm would be if the hospital places were increased *faster* than the rate of immigration i.e. *more* than an extra 200,000 capacity was being built each and every year for the foreseeable future.

1) That's not physically possible
    2) It's not affordable

Which means the political class *ought* to be criminally liable.

• Options

1) I'm surprised this doesn't happen more. I would assume there will be the odd occasional spike in the number of pregnant women coming to the hospital and if they were to always maintain enough capacity to cover unusual spikes in demand it would be very inefficient. Assuming there were other facilities near by with capacity that the women could be transported to this seems fair enough to me - obviously not ideal for those involved but better for everyone as a whole.

2) It was built to handle 300,000 people - has it gone through any upgrades since?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I see that Peter Hain is being helpful to his leader:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27753398
  • Options

If that's the programme the British people vote for that's the one I'll have to live with. I am not going to bail out of this country because I have to pay some more tax. But it's not going to happen because it is clearly a ridiculous proposition. However, if hospitals intended for 300,000 are servicing 800,000, there is not enough housing and schools are over-subscribed then we clearly do need a lot more infrastructure of all kinds. How that sits with a policy of substantially cutting income tax and public spending - as I believe is UKIP's policy - is an interesting one to ponder.

What has UKIP, or indeed any other party, got to do with it? You asked for a solution I gave you one. What is ridiculous about asking the better off to stump up the cash? You have been shouting your redistributive beliefs on here for yonks, but when I come up with a progressive tax model to pay for the necessary infrastructure you say it is ridiculous.

OK you don't like the idea of the well-off paying, what is your solution?
  • Options

1) I'm surprised this doesn't happen more. I would assume there will be the odd occasional spike in the number of pregnant women coming to the hospital and if they were to always maintain enough capacity to cover unusual spikes in demand it would be very inefficient. Assuming there were other facilities near by with capacity that the women could be transported to this seems fair enough to me - obviously not ideal for those involved but better for everyone as a whole.

2) It was built to handle 300,000 people - has it gone through any upgrades since?

"I'm surprised this doesn't happen more."

There's happening and there's reporting. If you have rellies working in the London maternity hospitals you'll hear a new horror story every week.
  • Options

Nope - it's a given that we stop mass immigration. I am not sure I support that, but for the sake of this argument we do. In such circumstances how do we deal with the problems that we are already said to have?

It's not a given if you don't support it and you don't.
  • Options

Probably you and I would agree on the basics of that., We build a lot more infrastructure to match our population.

But we would probably differ on how we pay for it. I would do it by cutting back in other areas. I would start with the 50 billion odd on HS2. I would drastically cut back on the welfare budget. I would extend means testing to everyone when it comes to benefits and dump the idea that because someone has paid in they should automatically get something back even if they don't need it. That would include pensions and all forms of benefits. But I would leave the NHS free at the point of delivery.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't get elected on these policies but since I am not seeking office I am happy to say what I would do. .
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Sajid Javid is definitely one to watch, as are one or two others who entered Parliament in 2010. I don't think that either Osborne or Gove particularly want to be the Leader of the Conservative Party, but I do think that they want to firmly remain in a position to help influence the direction of the party once Cameron stands down. I don't fancy either May or Hammond's chances at all, and as for Boris, god no!

It was quite amusing to see the concerted briefing to different journalists on twitter last night from both friends of May and Gove after news broke of their allotted punishments from the PM after being caught fighting in public. It read like two school kids leaving the headmasters office after being caught fighting, and then muttering and bitching at who had been more unfairly punished! I think that Paul Goodman on Conhom has got this one right.
    JohnO said:

• Options
    MrJones said:

You have no solutions to any current over-crowding issues we may have. You have been unable to provide a single one. Stopping all immigration tomorrow does not solve the problem of a hospital built to serve 300,000 having to look after 800,000. And you have no idea how to do it.

• Options

What has UKIP, or indeed any other party, got to do with it? You asked for a solution I gave you one. What is ridiculous about asking the better off to stump up the cash? You have been shouting your redistributive beliefs on here for yonks, but when I come up with a progressive tax model to pay for the necessary infrastructure you say it is ridiculous.

If you do not think it is ridiculous to ask people to pay 95% tax on all their earnings over £35,000 then I don't think we are in a position to have a sensible conversation.

• Options

MrJones said:

You have no solutions to any current over-crowding issues we may have. You have been unable to provide a single one. Stopping all immigration tomorrow does not solve the problem of a hospital built to serve 300,000 having to look after 800,000. And you have no idea how to do it.

"... you have no idea how to do it. "

Please, Sir, I do, Sir. But you don't like my idea, possibly because though it is too redistrubutionist and progressive.

Still waiting for your ideas on how to stop the problem getting worse and how to fix th problem that already exists.
  • Options

Probably you and I would agree on the basics of that., We build a lot more infrastructure to match our population.

But we would probably differ on how we pay for it. I would do it by cutting back in other areas. I would start with the 50 billion odd on HS2. I would drastically cut back on the welfare budget. I would extend means testing to everyone when it comes to benefits and dump the idea that because someone has paid in they should automatically get something back even if they don't need it. That would include pensions and all forms of benefits. But I would leave the NHS free at the point of delivery.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't get elected on these policies but since I am not seeking office I am happy to say what I would do. .

Fair enough. I think HS2 is definitely expendable. I agree that there must be ways to cut the welfare budget, but for me it would be a slower process than it would be for you. But I also agree that people should not expect to get back just because they have paid in.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I started preparing a post suggesting that Sajid Javid was one to watch, but I see that JohnO and fitalass have got there first.

The most important thing to note is that this poll is 100% useless. It won't be YouGov's panel who choose. It will be Conservative MPs in the first instance, with Conservative Party members making the final choice between the two who make it to the final round.

Obviously much depends on when and under what circumstances the contest takes place, but from what I hear there is little enthusiasm amongst MPs for Theresa May, and I'm not sure there is much for Boris (who, let us remember, is not even eligible at the moment). Laying the two favourites is probably not a bad strategy, whenever the odds get short.
  • Options
    @antifrank: I have new information about Newark. You were right - there was definite Labour tactical voting for the Conservatives to prevent UKIP winning.
  • Options

If you do not think it is ridiculous to ask people to pay 95% tax on all their earnings over £35,000 then I don't think we are in a position to have a sensible conversation.

What is the cut off then?

We need to spend money, we haven't got it therefore it must come from taxation. We can dump the increased tax on our children and grandchildren, but let's be honest, we have already gone so far down that route there isn't much more we can borrow. So increasing taxes is the only route left to us. Who should pay those taxes? Clearly the better off. The only argument is how much.

You may feel that 95% on everything over £35k is excessive, but that won't hurt the vast majority of people and will raise lots of money that we can spend on schools n' hospitals and roads etc.. Fair enough so where would you put the line? Do tell.
  • Options

MrJones said:

Please, Sir, I do, Sir. But you don't like my idea, possibly because though it is too redistrubutionist and progressive.

Still waiting for your ideas on how to stop the problem getting worse and how to fix th problem that already exists.

We either need more infrastructure spending or we need the current size of the population to be reduced. If you accept that the latter proposition is only achievable through forced repatriation and you do not like that idea, which I do not, then it is all about working out how to pay for the additional and unavoidable spending. I would certainly favour tax rises for people with my level of income; I am less keen on them for people who are only earning £35,000. And I am opposed to a 95% rate of tax for anyone.
  • Options

MrJones said:

1) You're defining the problem wrong.

You're saying there's a fixed problem i.e. (800,000 people vs 300,000 capacity), when in the real world it's a problem over time i.e. (800,000 people + extra people per year) vs (300,000 capacity + extra capacity per year).

2) I've given my definition of "solution" which is reducing (or at minimum not increasing) the total units of harm per year where harm is defined as excess people to capacity.

3) If the problem is defined correctly as over time then your "solution" which i assume is build more capacity requires building *more* than 200,000 extra capacity per year every year and even if that wasn't impossible then even with 250,000 extra capacity per year the excess 50,000 would still take ten years to make up the current shortfall created by the political class' open borders policy over the last ten years.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

SouthamObserver, have ever heard of the expression that when in a hole, stop digging?
  • Options
    Twitter
    Jon Snow ‏@jonsnowC4 2h
    He resigned over the Falklands to take the blame from Thatcher at 95 Lord Carrington on war, politics, life: http://bit.ly/1kIU6yY #c4news

MichaelWhite ‏@MichaelWhite 38m
    @jonsnowC4 Carrington still a star, isn't he? As sharp as a pin at 95 & a CV that no senior politician still alive can match (even Healey)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    edited June 2014
    Cabinet posts before becoming Con Leader

Education Cameron
    ScoTE Howard
    Defence Smith
    Wales Hague
    CoTE Major
    Enviroment Thatcher
    ScoTE Heath
    Foreign Sec Home
    CoTE Macmillan
    Deputy PM Eden
    PM Churchill
    CoTE Chamberlain

5 chancellors/shadows in there.
  • Options

MrJones said:

We either need more infrastructure spending or we need the current size of the population to be reduced. If you accept that the latter proposition is only achievable through forced repatriation and you do not like that idea, which I do not, then it is all about working out how to pay for the additional and unavoidable spending. I would certainly favour tax rises for people with my level of income; I am less keen on them for people who are only earning £35,000. And I am opposed to a 95% rate of tax for anyone.
    "We either need more infrastructure spending or we need the current size of the population to be reduced."

Again you're wrongly defining it as a fixed problem when it's a problem over time.

When the problem is correctly defined as a problem over time then your solution requires building *more* extra capacity per year than extra people per year.

Which currently is impossible hence why you don't want to admit it's not a fixed problem.
  • Options

@antifrank: I have new information about Newark. You were right - there was definite Labour tactical voting for the Conservatives to prevent UKIP winning.

Can you give more information without breaking confidences?

• Options

RedLibs would be torn between voting against Con and voting against Ukip. I wouldn't be surprised if both happened.
  • Options
    Why is HS2 expendable? What is the alternative? £20bn for a tiny fraction of the benefits and far worse disruption for far longer?

Why not scrap the £4bn + subsidy that TfL get per year or Crossrail?

Or is it only spending on infrastructure that helps the north that is expendable?

If you think that HS2 is expendable I'd suggest you've missed the last 4 years during which none of those opposed to the scheme have provided a viable alternative to deal with issues such as http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2013/07/31-orr-refuses-virgin-bid-for.html

Politicians from all sides have realised it is not a viable suggestion that there will never, ever be any additional freight or passenger services on the WCML given the rapidly growing populations at many towns along the route and increasing need to move freight with so little road or rail capacity.

Look at all the candidates to replace either Miliband or Cameron after the next election, all strongly in favour of the scheme.
  • Options
    I can't believe I'm delurking after years just to say this, but you should probably correct the thread title: who, not whom. Wonderful site, btw. I poke my nose around virtually every day.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

Sounds very plausible to me - wheres the info from though ?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Jon Snow ‏@jonsnowC4 2h
    He resigned over the Falklands to take the blame from Thatcher at 95 Lord Carrington on war, politics, life: http://bit.ly/1kIU6yY #c4news

@jonsnowC4 Carrington still a star, isn't he? As sharp as a pin at 95 & a CV that no senior politician still alive can match (even Healey)

What an extraordinary interview. There can't be many 95 year old men who are as sharp as that - and he's as gentlemanly, discreet and courteous as ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I can't believe I'm delurking after years just to say this, but you should probably correct the thread title: who, not whom.

Welcome, that's a perfect first post - you'll fit in well!
  • Options
    I did some work for Lord Carrington donkeys years ago - pukka gent.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

"We either need more infrastructure spending or we need the current size of the population to be reduced."

Again you're wrongly defining it as a fixed problem when it's a problem over time.

When the problem is correctly defined as a problem over time then your solution requires building *more* extra capacity per year than extra people per year.

Which currently is impossible hence why you don't want to admit it's not a fixed problem.

There is currently a hospital having to look after a population of 800,000 when it was built for 300,000. That is why people are being turned away. Thus, the area it serves needs extra capacity now. Until that is supplied to the extent necessary - and that extent will depend on how the population grows, obviously - the capacity problem will worsen.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Handy our rate of population growth is slowing down then.
  • Options
    Eurosceptics, look away now. Jean-Claude Juncker's five priorities for his presidency:

http://juncker.epp.eu/my-priorities

Summary: more Europe is needed and the British problem needs solving.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Osborne is about as popular as a bucket of cold sick. Stands to reason he is the most likely next choice. Maybe an Osborne-Gove dream ticket.
  • Options
    That could really have implications in Conservative held seats which UKIP hope to target, and where Labour or Libdems are currently in 2nd place at the next GE. Could we see the kind of tactical voting campaign developing whereby Lab/Libdem voters vote Conservative to keep UKIP out in much the same way as they did back in the early years of New Labour when they sought to keep the Tories out?

IIRC, in the latter stages of the Newark campaign, the Tory candidate appealed to Labour/Libdems voters to help him keep UKIP/Helmer out. Was this, in fact, some kind of Conservative test run of a future GE campaign strategy aimed at certain targeted seats? If so, then it must surely have betting implications in any seat that Farage chooses to run in, I still have my doubts that Farage will in fact stand as a candidate at the next GE.
    MrJones said:

RedLibs would be torn between voting against Con and voting against Ukip. I wouldn't be surprised if both happened.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Pulpstar said:

Education Cameron
    ScoTE Howard
    Defence Smith
    Wales Hague
    CoTE Major
    Enviroment Thatcher
    ScoTE Heath
    Foreign Sec Home
    CoTE Macmillan
    Deputy PM Eden
    PM Churchill
    CoTE Chamberlain

I did once look into it, and I think found that President of the Board of Trade (or that role renamed) was a a very common early job for future prime ministers.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2014

What an extraordinary interview. There can't be many 95 year old men who are as sharp as that - and he's as gentlemanly, discreet and courteous as ever.

Indeed. The noble Lord is sharper than most members of the current Cabinet. He is also the last of the great MacMillanite wets still alive. He represents a philosophy, however, that had had its day by 1968.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,503

I can't believe I'm delurking after years just to say this, but you should probably correct the thread title: who, not whom. Wonderful site, btw. I poke my nose around virtually every day.

I blame auto-correct.

That and this thread was written in peace gardens, and there were a number of scantily clad females distracting me.
  • Options

Eurosceptics, look away now. Jean-Claude Juncker's five priorities for his presidency:

http://juncker.epp.eu/my-priorities

Summary: more Europe is needed and the British problem needs solving.

Every genuine Eurosceptic I know is strongly supportive of a Juncker presidency.
  • Options

Not really, sorry.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I see that Peter Hain is being helpful to his leader:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27753398

Oooh, I might combine that with my morning thread which may be about this

Does the result in Newark confirm Ed Miliband as a Neil Kinnock?

Polls carried out before the by-election had the Tory vote too low and Labour's vote too high

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/does-the-result-in-newark-confirm-ed-miliband-as-a-neil-kinnock-9506732.html
  • Options

Why is HS2 expendable? What is the alternative? £20bn for a tiny fraction of the benefits and far worse disruption for far longer?

Why not scrap the £4bn + subsidy that TfL get per year or Crossrail?

Or is it only spending on infrastructure that helps the north that is expendable?

If you think that HS2 is expendable I'd suggest you've missed the last 4 years during which none of those opposed to the scheme have provided a viable alternative to deal with issues such as http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2013/07/31-orr-refuses-virgin-bid-for.html

Politicians from all sides have realised it is not a viable suggestion that there will never, ever be any additional freight or passenger services on the WCML given the rapidly growing populations at many towns along the route and increasing need to move freight with so little road or rail capacity.

Look at all the candidates to replace either Miliband or Cameron after the next election, all strongly in favour of the scheme.

It is expendable because it is a vanity project that will do nothing top solve the problems currently facing the country. There are far better ways to help the North than cutting a few minutes of the travel time to London. Studies from the continent showed that High Speed train links help the centre far more than the periphery so all you will do is continue to centralise more and more economic power in London and do little or nothing to help the other end of the toy train track.
  • Options
    Absolutely, a true gent, and a fine politician.

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Jon Snow ‏@jonsnowC4 2h

• Options
    corporeal said:

Pulpstar said:

Education Cameron
    ScoTE Howard
    Defence Smith
    Wales Hague
    CoTE Major
    Enviroment Thatcher
    ScoTE Heath
    Foreign Sec Home
    CoTE Macmillan
    Deputy PM Eden
    PM Churchill
    CoTE Chamberlain

I did once look into it, and I think found that President of the Board of Trade (or that role renamed) was a a very common early job for future prime ministers.
    I also a did study, and I found that most Prime Ministers were MPs before they Prime Minister.

So I concluded, being an MP enhances your chances of becoming PM.
This discussion has been closed.