Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Was Theresa May on manoeuvres and did it cost her SPAD her

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,432
    surbiton said:

I did a test in the Telegraph website and found out that, I "side" with:

Greens 87%

SNP 84%

PC 75%

LD 74%

Lab 69%

BNP 34%

Con 31%

UKIP 20%

?????????????????????

Nationalist.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    edited June 2014

ToryJim said:

Anyone know what the Yougov was today? It's for a tired squirrel that keeps asking me.

@YouGov: Update: Labour lead at 4 - Latest YouGov / Sunday Times results 6th June - Con 33%, Lab 37%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%; APP -27 http://t.co/e2kYz9Qi1z
    The Sunil on Sunday has the following figures:

Tory/UKIP 47%
    Progressives 44%

or, alternatively:

COA 40%
    LAB 37%
    LibLabCon 77%
    UKIP 14%
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

Grand coalition 70%
    Others 30%
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lab 37%
    Con 33%
    UKIP 14%
    Others 16%

UKIP-Con 47%
    Labour 37%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,325
    Carnyx Though Salmond has refused to back Miliband's proposed restoration of the 50% top tax rate
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    isam said:

Mike Natrass on Sunday Politics.. The "An" in "An Independence from Europe" stood for "Anglo-Netherlands"....

You have to admire his brazenness.
  • Options
    ToryJim The Queen is committed to the institution of monarchy above all else, were Charles to be far more popular than her and she unpopular then she would consider stepping down. The fact she has done such a good job means she remains popular and will stay on
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx Though Salmond has refused to back Miliband's proposed restoration of the 50% top tax rate

Which agrees with his centrist social democrat line of argument ^_~. To the right of Miliband on that one at any rate.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited June 2014
    London is run like the rest of the UK..

Boris has been to the Savoy Hotel more times in the last year than he has any outer London Borough

Only interested in zone 1. Its fair to say London is Zone 1 if the UK was the underground isnt it?

Been to Doha more than Dagenham!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    The ministerial code broken or not?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Well we can all hide behind vague words that mean different things to different people or passive aggressive cowardice.

I am not patriotic in the sense of thinking England is better than anyone else just because its England, in any shape or form. But that doesnt mean that its people shouldnt expect their government to put their opinions and rights first. Thats what the government is elected to do.

People have every right to expect that. And such expectations are not nationalist.
    For 50 years people have wanted a curb on immigration. Almost every opinion poll shows this. Yet anyone that suggests doing something about it is smeared with words like "Nationalist"

No, they're not.

Go on then give an example of someone who wanted a tangible curb on immigration who wasnt attacked as racist/natioonalist/xenophobic
    Last figures I looked at showed that net, legal, immigration was running at a bout 200,000 people a year. Or to put it another way that is the same as importing a roughly medium sized city every year. Of course, the hard infrastructure to cope with such an increase is not being built, not in roads, railways, schools hospitals, doctors surgeries, whatever. Nor is the soft infrastructure; how many more teachers are being trained, how many more doctors, how many more medical training places have been created to generate all those extra consultants, how many more paramedic ambulances are there on the road these days?

Now, in the distant past anyone questioning such a process would have been regarded as speaking common sense. In the recent past anyone asking the same questions would be held up to be a racist, and more recently a xenophobe. Nowadays, whilst the use of the racist label is still tolerated by them, the progressives use the term "Nationalist" . It is all part of the same deal, those that have are screwing those that haven't and doing their best to keep the have nots in dependency and anyone who questions this is evil.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim The Queen is committed to the institution of monarchy above all else, were Charles to be far more popular than her and she unpopular then she would consider stepping down. The fact she has done such a good job means she remains popular and will stay on

I think the concept of abdication is a filthy word given the fact it is possibly seen by her as contributing to her fathers early death.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

HYUFD said:

I think the concept of abdication is a filthy word given the fact it is possibly seen by her as contributing to her fathers early death.
    I think I've read some reputable source opining that before. I think her mother took the same view, but was tougher about it!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim There is a slight difference between abdicating because you want to marry a divorcee, forcing the throne on your younger brother who never wanted it and abdicating after 60 years on the throne in favour of your son. However, as the Queen remains the best asset for the crown she will stay on the throne for life and her son will then have a short reign followed by her grandson

Pulpstar Indeed
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Perhaps because you stand for centrist, social democratic policies in the good old British consensus tradition? The SNP are the last bastions of that Britishness. A curious paradox, but not its fault - though its opponents do not like being reminded of both facts.

Manifestly anachronistic. It is absurd to define "Britishness" by reference to a peculiar brand of statism that prevailed in the middle decades of the twentieth-century, which is otherwise alien to the whole course and tradition of British history.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim There is a slight difference between abdicating because you want to marry a divorcee, forcing the throne on your younger brother who never wanted it and abdicating after 60 years on the throne in favour of your son. However, as the Queen remains the best asset for the crown she will stay on the throne for life and her son will then have a short reign followed by her grandson

Pulpstar Indeed

"... the Queen remains the best asset for the crown she will stay on the throne for life and her son will then have a short reign followed by her grandson ..."

Victoria, Edward VII, George V. How history repeats itself. I have long thought Georve V got dealt the shitty hand. Without WWI getting the way, I think he would have proved a brilliant monarch who would have done much to close the gaps in society that still continue to bedevil us.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

How many of them will actually commit suicide if and when they lose in September? Their anguish will be intolerable.

None of them.

The grievance of having their cherished dream stolen from them by the English will keep them warm for decades to come.

Stories to tell their grand-kids of the good fight they fought, over their keyboards, in Sweden and Somerset.
  • Options
    Interesting that Murray has appointed a woman as ah is new coach. I used to like Mauresmo as a player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/27753849
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Interesting that Murray has appointed a woman as ah is new coach. I used to like Mauresmo as a player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/27753849

It's a potentially brilliant move.
    Mauresmo, who coached Michael Llodra, her French compatriot, for a brief period three years ago, is one of the most engaging, sensitive and creative players ever to have graced the women’s tour. She was in Marion Bartoli’s corner when the French woman won Wimbledon a year ago.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article4112518.ece
  • Options
    I agree Mr P.
  • Options
    "The grievance of having their cherished dream stolen from them by the English will keep them warm for decades to come."

Don't see why not, it has since 1745. Why should it be any different in the future. Some years ago, on this very site, Easterross suggested that Scottish independence would come about not when the Scots voted for it but when the English lost patience and told them to piss off.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Sean

Did you see fitalass's post in the wee hours of this morning?

I think you have a volunteer for Matron of Honour.
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

How many of them will actually commit suicide if and when they lose in September? Their anguish will be intolerable.

None of them.

The grievance of having their cherished dream stolen from them by the English will keep them warm for decades to come.

Stories to tell their grand-kids of the good fight they fought, over their keyboards, in Sweden and Somerset.
    Dunno. It depends how much they really thought/think they are going to win. During the recent tightening (when YES definitely gained) you sensed - for the first time - genuine conviction, in the YES camp, that they had the big momentum, and it was Really Going to Happen.

Now the polls have widened again.

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/should-scotland-be-an-independent-country-1#line

If someone denies your very faint hope of achieving a cherished dream, the grief is nasty but bearable. You always expected to lose. So it goes.

If someone denies your real burning expectation that your lifetime's impossible ambition is miraculously and actually going to happen, the pain is far far worse.

That's the sort of pain that could unbalance a person, especially if they are intrinsically a bit mad, smelly and obsessive, like most Scot Nats.

• Options
    HurstLlama Agree on George V, anyway off for a swim
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700
    perdix said:

I don't trust May at all. I would like to, but I don't. I think anyone who stands down the police during the London riots, and then attempts legislation to snoop on people's BBM messages using the riots as justification, has got serious questions to answer. Anyone who claims to be resisting the encroachment of the EU but introduces the European arrest warrant when she doesn't have to has got serious questions to answer.

In my opinion, they want an 'inner circle' person to be lined up if and when Cameron loses the election. Hague, Hammond, Osborne or May would do. Which is why it's imperative in my view that they don't.

May stood down the police during the riots? Source please.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024412/London-riots-Police-soft-looters-ordered-stand-observe.html

But this is only one source -you can google it and take your pick. People forget these things -but I don't.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    ToryJim said:
    That guy clearly doesn't understand how Kinging works. This whole abdication malarkey is just another sign that the world is going to hell in a handcart #getoffmylawn

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    SeanT said:

How will this kind of psychoNat react, if and when they lose their precious once-in-a-lifetime referendum on FREEDOM???

Amusingly. Can't wait for the squealing to begin. Be interesting to see how they where robbed, because in their minds they will have been, there's no way that they could lose otherwise
  • Options

perdix said:

I don't trust May at all. I would like to, but I don't. I think anyone who stands down the police during the London riots, and then attempts legislation to snoop on people's BBM messages using the riots as justification, has got serious questions to answer. Anyone who claims to be resisting the encroachment of the EU but introduces the European arrest warrant when she doesn't have to has got serious questions to answer.

In my opinion, they want an 'inner circle' person to be lined up if and when Cameron loses the election. Hague, Hammond, Osborne or May would do. Which is why it's imperative in my view that they don't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024412/London-riots-Police-soft-looters-ordered-stand-observe.html

But this is only one source -you can google it and take your pick. People forget these things -but I don't.
    That article doesn't finger anyone, is denied vigorously and that kind of operational decision would never ever cross the Home Secretary's desk it would be taken at either Divisional or Assistant Commissioner level and they denied it.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    The reign in Spain, went mainly down the drain?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Maajid Nawaz was on the Sunday Politics saying the tactics of the Muslims in Birmingham schools at the centre of the Gove vs May row are well known to him from his time as an Islamic revolutionary; the Islamification of a country from the ground up a la the Egyptian Brotherhood rather than the more overt tactics of the Taliban/Jihadists

Great
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    John_M said:

ToryJim said:
    That guy clearly doesn't understand how Kinging works. This whole abdication malarkey is just another sign that the world is going to hell in a handcart #getoffmylawn

Appointments that were for life probably seemed a lot simpler in the days when far fewer people lived into their 70s and beyond, particularly with the stresses of maintaining control that monarchs used to have in far greater abundance.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

perdix said:

This shows no evidence that May was involved in holding back police. Since her responsibilities cover the nation, your comment might lead us to assume she was responsible for getting Manchester police to be quick off the mark. It was only after Cameron's intervention that the Met got its act together.

• Options
    @saddened‌
    The trouble is they got the referendum they wanted, with the electorate they wanted, at the time they wanted, with the question they wanted. If they then fail to get the outcome they wanted they can squeal as much as they like but it won't work.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    SeanT said:

PS

For evidence of the wild, dangerous, potentially self-harming psychosis, lurking in the dark Scot Nat soul, read this brilliant screed of Natty anger - in the comments below the piece, which discusses the euro results.

Example comment:

"Absolutely raging. Stunned at the stupidity of our so called fellow Scots, including the greens who have been trying to steal votes from the SNP for weeks.

No idea what LFI were playing at, advising labour voters to vote for that filth is just as bad as ukip & i hope they didn’t use Indy raised funds to get that message out.

All yes minded people are welcome I just wish the deluded labour idiots would just wake up & realise that their poisonous, bastard filth of a party is dead, hallelujah.

Strange coincidence ukip vote 140,000. Missing/spoiled ballot papers (2007) 140,000."

[I have elided some swearwords]

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-day-of-shame/#more-55791

Now remember: this frothing rant of desperate rage, tinged with hints of paranoid schizophrenia (the last sentence), is merely the reaction to UKIP winning one seat in a fairly meaningless election.

How will this kind of psychoNat react, if and when they lose their precious once-in-a-lifetime referendum on FREEDOM???

If it happens (and I am still too pessimistic to hope it does), I think we'll see a lot more thousand yard stares than explosions of befuddled rage, at first at least.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I am not sure why some Tories are blaming May. She did not start this recent fracas. It is Gove who told Times journalists everything over lunch.

What was she supposed to do when a colleague was trashing her ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

PS

For evidence of the wild, dangerous, potentially self-harming psychosis, lurking in the dark Scot Nat soul, read this brilliant screed of Natty anger - in the comments below the piece, which discusses the euro results.

Example comment:

"Absolutely raging. Stunned at the stupidity of our so called fellow Scots, including the greens who have been trying to steal votes from the SNP for weeks.

No idea what LFI were playing at, advising labour voters to vote for that filth is just as bad as ukip & i hope they didn’t use Indy raised funds to get that message out.

All yes minded people are welcome I just wish the deluded labour idiots would just wake up & realise that their poisonous, bastard filth of a party is dead, hallelujah.

Strange coincidence ukip vote 140,000. Missing/spoiled ballot papers (2007) 140,000."

[I have elided some swearwords]

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-day-of-shame/#more-55791

Now remember: this frothing rant of desperate rage, tinged with hints of paranoid schizophrenia (the last sentence), is merely the reaction to UKIP winning one seat in a fairly meaningless election.

If it happens (and I am still too pessimistic to hope it does), I think we'll see a lot more thousand yard stares than explosions of befuddled rage, at first at least.
    It can be equally as bad south of the border.
    TSE posted a link to a Buzzfeed piece on the rise of UKIP.
    Some of the comments under that were amazing. Withdraw the right to vote for people that want to vote UKIP etc.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    isam said:

Maajid Nawaz was on the Sunday Politics saying the tactics of the Muslims in Birmingham schools at the centre of the Gove vs May row are well known to him from his time as an Islamic revolutionary; the Islamification of a country from the ground up a la the Egyptian Brotherhood rather than the more overt tactics of the Taliban/Jihadists

Great

Perfectly legal, of course, just like the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.

Is the British Army planning a coup in Tower Hamlets, perhaps?
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    isam said:

No one has put the English working class first for generations, and its they who are adversely affected by the central tenet of EU membership, free movement of workers. Any party that puts that before its own people can call UKIP all the names they want, but they arent doing their job

So it's OK for an English working class person from, say, Yorkshire to have to compete for a job with someone from, say, Essex but not with someone from, say, Normandy. What's the difference?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

I did a test in the Telegraph website and found out that, I "side" with:

Greens 87%

SNP 84%

PC 75%

LD 74%

Lab 69%

BNP 34%

Con 31%

UKIP 20%

?????????????????????

Nationalist.
    Actually, I think it probably was because I said I was unabashedly pro EU, pro Immigration, let Scotland decide for themselves, against nuclear power, cut in defence budget etc. etc.
  • Options
    perdix said:

perdix said:

This shows no evidence that May was involved in holding back police. Since her responsibilities cover the nation, your comment might lead us to assume she was responsible for getting Manchester police to be quick off the mark. It was only after Cameron's intervention that the Met got its act together.

Are you suggesting that with London burning an operational decision of this kind would not be in the hands of the Home Secretary? I'm afraid that beggars belief. The police elsewhere in the country acted normally. The police in London acted abnormally.
  • Options
    saddened said:

SeanT said:

Amusingly. Can't wait for the squealing to begin. Be interesting to see how they where robbed, because in their minds they will have been, there's no way that they could lose otherwise
    No need to wait. Just use SeanT's link to read the reaction to a single Ukipper getting elected in Scotland. You'll need a sense of humour by-pass to stop yourself laughing. A lot.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

isam said:

No one has put the English working class first for generations, and its they who are adversely affected by the central tenet of EU membership, free movement of workers. Any party that puts that before its own people can call UKIP all the names they want, but they arent doing their job

So it's OK for an English working class person from, say, Yorkshire to have to compete for a job with someone from, say, Essex but not with someone from, say, Normandy. What's the difference?

No need for all the "say's"

Because a government is elected to look after the interests of the electorate, not the whole world
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,993
    isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

Because a government is elected to look after the interests of the electorate, not the whole world

So what if the person from Normandy can do a better job for a cheaper price. Isn't that in the interests of the electorate?

• Options
    Rexel56 said:

isam said:

No, it's not the competing with someone of your own kith and kin, it's competing with the whole of Europe.Or the World, even.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

Well, it's a point of view and I guess there are economists out there who can make the case for protectionism... after all it's the natural bed fellow of nationalism.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

No, it's not the competing with someone of your own kith and kin, it's competing with the whole of Europe.Or the World, even.

But we are competing with the whole of the world. The flipside of that, of course, is that we are able to sell to the whole world. We would not have a business if the UK was the only market we could sell into and that would mean mainly 20 English people - a number of them working class - not having well paid jobs.

• Options

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

So what if the person from Normandy can do a better job for a cheaper price. Isn't that in the interests of the electorate?

If you think making the rich richer and the poor poorer is ok I guess thats fine
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

Well, it's a point of view and I guess there are economists out there who can make the case for protectionism... after all it's the natural bed fellow of nationalism.
    I wish I was rich enough to be a socialist who believes in mass immigration, maybe one day
  • Options

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

The corporations aren't part of the electorate, their shareholders may be. The 1% are part of the electorate, but only a small part.

The beneficiaries are those who employ tradesmen and nannies, have private health cover and send their children to private schools and thus don't have to use the NHS and State schools.

The losers are the poor, unskilled, non-graduates in this country, especially non-White ethnic minorities.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

If you think making the rich richer and the poor poorer is ok I guess thats fine

Not sure how that works. If goods are cheaper then the less well off have more opportunity to buy them.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The splendid irony is that the Natters outkip the Kippers. The madder Nats make the dippiest Kips look positively sane.

SNP = UKIP in Kilts.

Led by a former financier with a taste for the high life at taxpayer expense.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

A saying you might appreciate, isam:

Snobbery is racism against people who look like you.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

Protectionism is often sneered at with little justification. It is responsible (for example) for Germany's industrial might. German industry was heavily protected in its infancy (from British exports especially, as Britain was an industrial powerhouse.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @isam

You don't have to be rich. The idea of Socialism in it's truest sense, is that all men are brothers, So the idea is then to aid your "brother" too achieve a standard of life that means he has no need to emigrate from his home.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

The corporations aren't part of the electorate, their shareholders may be. The 1% are part of the electorate, but only a small part.

The beneficiaries are those who employ tradesmen and nannies, have private health cover and send their children to private schools and thus don't have to use the NHS and State schools.

The losers are the poor, unskilled, non-graduates in this country, especially non-White ethnic minorities.

Are you telling me that councils no longer maintain council houses or that landlords are exempt from doing it? The idea that tradesmen are only the preserve of the metropolitan elite is laughable. At the last count well over 90% of parents sent their kids to state schools; while everyone uses the NHS for A&E, and a huge majority use it for all other kinds of treatments too. I'll give you nannies though.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    In fact, when it comes to tradesmen the despised metropolitan elite are unlikely to hire anyone based on cost. They have the money to be able to afford to hire based on quality. There's a reason why you'll find a Waitrose in only certain parts of the country; or why organic fruit and veg and butchers shops proliferate in NW3, but not in N17.
  • Options
    It certainly does appear to be longstanding practice to pretend Britain is alone in expressing discomfort or opposition because we are generally the most vocal - and certainly the most vocal of the big EU nations. And that is with what we term Europhile governments!
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

Not sure how that works. If goods are cheaper then the less well off have more opportunity to buy them.
    It works by depressing the wages of the lowest paid and increasing those of the highest paid.

• Options

Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

Are you telling me that councils no longer maintain council houses or that landlords are exempt from doing it? The idea that tradesmen are only the preserve of the metropolitan elite is laughable. At the last count well over 90% of parents sent their kids to state schools; while everyone uses the NHS for A&E, and a huge majority use it for all other kinds of treatments too. I'll give you nannies though.

Councils are corporations and landlords are businessman. Hardly your WWC.

Remind me. What sort of schools did Cameron, Blair, Osborne and Gove attend? Or a lot of journalists and Beeboids?

As for A&Es:
    1. They're being closed down
    2. What about the rest of health treatment in this country, especially maternity.
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

Protectionism is often sneered at with little justification. It is responsible (for example) for Germany's industrial might. German industry was heavily protected in its infancy (from British exports especially, as Britain was an industrial powerhouse.
    We already do it by having a minimum wage. Why cant I employ someone from Asia for £1 an hour if they are willing to work for it?

We end up paying welfare to the people whose jobs have been taken by mass immigration of cheap Labour anyway, so why not act in their interests by cutting out the middle man and allowing them to earn a days pay by stopping the immigration?

What happens is politicians end up chasing their tails by refusing to acknowledge the damage a policy has done, and paying those affected compensation in the form of dole money and tax credits etc. All in the name of political dogma/winning an argument
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2014

Are you suggesting that with London burning an operational decision of this kind would not be in the hands of the Home Secretary? I'm afraid that beggars belief. The police elsewhere in the country acted normally. The police in London acted abnormally.

The law is clear. R v Secretary of State for the Home Department ex parte Northumbria Police Authority [1989] QB 26 is the leading case on the nature of the prerogative powers exercisable by the Secretary of State in relation to the policing of riots. As Lord Justice Croom-Johnson said (at p. 39)
    It is common ground that the chief constable has complete operational control of his force. Neither the police authority nor the Secretary of State may give him any directions about that... The independence of a constable, and a fortiori a chief constable, from outside control, whether by a local authority or the executive, has been repeatedly upheld.
    The authorities for the proposition are unimpeachable, and include Fisher v Oldham Corportation [1930] 2 KB 364 (per McCardie J) and R v Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis ex parte Blackburn (No.1) [1968] 2 QB 118. In the latter, Lord Denning MR held (at p. 136) that it is:
    the duty of the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis, as it is of every chief constable, to enforce the law of the land... in all these things he is not the servant of anyone, save of the law itself. No Minister of the Crown can tell him that he must, or must not, keep observation on this place or that; or that he must, or must not, prosecute this man or that one. Nor can any police authority tell him so. The responsibility for law enforcement lies on him. He is answerable to the law and to the law alone.
    There is not a chance that Mrs May gave an operational direction to a police officer during the 2011 riots, and if she had done so, it would have been the duty of the constable to disregard it.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

It works by depressing the wages of the lowest paid and increasing those of the highest paid.

Are wages higher in areas of low immigration?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,774
    New Thread
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

Remind me. What sort of schools did Cameron, Blair, Osborne and Gove attend? Or a lot of journalists and Beeboids?

As for A&Es:
    2. What about the rest of health treatment in this country, especially maternity.
    Maternity you say?

"Two pregnant women were turned away from the Queen’s Hospital maternity unit when the department became full and closed for four hours in April, it has emerged.

Jas Athwal, leader of the Redbridge Labour party, described the news as an “absolute shock”.

He added: “Queen’s was built for 300,000 people in mind but now it has to cope with 800,000 - it is not right. "

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/two_women_turned_away_from_queen_s_hospital_maternity_department_after_it_closes_for_four_hours_1_3630975
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It certainly does appear to be longstanding practice to pretend Britain is alone in expressing discomfort or opposition because we are generally the most vocal - and certainly the most vocal of the big EU nations. And that is with what we term Europhile governments!
    Easier to blame the UK than it is to look in the mirror.

• Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

As for A&Es:

The WWC has housing and maintenance needs just like everyone else. They own their accommodation or the rent it. Either way, they use the services of tradesmen of all kinds.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

Probably as immigrants generaly earn low wages

I wrote an article, you read it, that quoted research showing for every 1% of the workforce that was made up of immigrants, the native took a 0.6% pay cut
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Perhaps they'll emigrate, or go into exile, as they would put it?
    SeanT said:

The worst cartoonist is surely Steve Bell on the Guardian. Amazed he gets paid for that crap. He has never made me laugh, once, nor even smile in a vaguely fixed way.

Repetitive lefty scrawling by a Ritalin-deficient teenager.

Back in the 1980's and early 1990's, he was simply brilliant.

It appears the long Labour Government (1997-2010) blunted his edge, a bit like alternative comedians.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

As for A&Es:

The WWC has housing and maintenance needs just like everyone else. They own their accommodation or the rent it. Either way, they use the services of tradesmen of all kinds.
    The last thing the WWC need is competition for their jobs driving down wages, or competition for rented accommodation driving up rents.
  • Options
    isam said:

Rexel56 said:

We already do it by having a minimum wage. Why cant I employ someone from Asia for £1 an hour if they are willing to work for it?

We end up paying welfare to the people whose jobs have been taken by mass immigration of cheap Labour anyway, so why not act in their interests by cutting out the middle man and allowing them to earn a days pay by stopping the immigration?

What happens is politicians end up chasing their tails by refusing to acknowledge the damage a policy has done, and paying those affected compensation in the form of dole money and tax credits etc. All in the name of political dogma/winning an argument
    Of course, that would benefit Labour, of course. Creating a dependent clientele and potentially future voters from ethinc minorities.

Unfortunately, the money ran out to pay for all this and sheer Government incompetence affected schools and maternity wards.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

As for A&Es:

The last thing the WWC need is competition for their jobs driving down wages, or competition for rented accommodation driving up rents.

I have a lot more faith in the WWC than you clearly.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

I wrote an article, you read it, that quoted research showing for every 1% of the workforce that was made up of immigrants, the native took a 0.6% pay cut

But wages are lowest in Northern Ireland, the North East and Wales, where immigration is much lower than it is in the best paying regions.

• Options

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

As for A&Es:

I have a lot more faith in the WWC than you clearly.

That suggests you're not a member.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Last figures I looked at showed that net, legal, immigration was running at a bout 200,000 people a year. Or to put it another way that is the same as importing a roughly medium sized city every year. Of course, the hard infrastructure to cope with such an increase is not being built, not in roads, railways, schools hospitals, doctors surgeries, whatever. Nor is the soft infrastructure; how many more teachers are being trained, how many more doctors, how many more medical training places have been created to generate all those extra consultants, how many more paramedic ambulances are there on the road these days?

One notable exception to this was the Roman Catholic Church in E&W. They went to Poland to recruit Polish priests for the Polish Catholic Mission to address the spiritual needs of the new immigrants.

Also, we have built two new schools in West London to fulfil the extra demand for Catholic school places.

And how have we been treated? With a hate campaign from the BBC and the Guardian.

Which reminds me, I'm off to the Guardian website to comment on Catherine Bennett's latest anti-Faith school bigotry.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Rexel56 said:

isam said:

But wages are lowest in Northern Ireland, the North East and Wales, where immigration is much lower than it is in the best paying regions.

Wow, immigrants go to the most economically vibrant regions.

No sh1t, Sherlock.

Of course, they simultaneously raise the costs and lower the wages of the existing working classes, not all of them White.
This discussion has been closed.