Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opinium poll

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opinium poll

As we can see with this poll, the trend we’ve seen with some other pollsters since the local and European elections, Labour’s lead appears to be widening, UKIP’s support appears to be solid, whilst for the Lib Dems they hit their lowest share with this pollster since July 2013. The fieldwork was before the Newark by-election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Bgt on pb
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    50% Tory or UKIP.
  • Options
    Seats (UKPR)

Lab 346
    Con 258
    LD 18
    Oth 28
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    More of the same old same old Sean
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,349
    edited June 2014
    Opinium/The Sunil:

COA 37
    LAB 35

OR:

Tory/UKIP 50 (!!)
    Progressives 41
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Good evening, Gentleman (and Ladies, natch).

Any news?

I have been away some time due to contorted but very diverting romantic entanglements. I was so distracted by matters of the heart I ENTIRELY FORGOT THERE WAS A BY-ELECTION.

It's quite a nice feeling - just not caring. Didn't even read the papers.

But now I am eager to catch up, as I have a breathing space. Can anyone sum up the last fortnight's political news in a couple of sentences?

I would be grateful.

Newark by-election:

Con 17431
    UKIP 10028
    Lab 6842
    Ind 1891
    Green 1057
    LD 1004
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Sean

UKIP second again, except in EUs, 1st. Con hold Newark, Lib and Lab forgot to turn up.

No one interested in politics until next January in general population. Gove loves May, its mutual.

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 907
    SeanT said:

Good evening, Gentleman (and Ladies, Can anyone sum up the last fortnight's political news in a couple of sentences?

I would be grateful.

UKIP did as well as expected at Newark i.e. lost, as they will everywhere. Lib Dems mightily relieved, confident of holding balance at next GE.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,513
    edited June 2014
    Oh my, the morning thread is going to be about this.

Has Vince been plotting against Clegg again?

Bell end involved.

pic.twitter.com/I8sunBaqJW
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    SeanT said:

Any news?

I have been away some time due to contorted but very diverting romantic entanglements. I was so distracted by matters of the heart I ENTIRELY FORGOT THERE WAS A BY-ELECTION.

But now I am eager to catch up, as I have a breathing space. Can anyone sum up the last fortnight's political news in a couple of sentences?

I would be grateful.

Summary

Sean f*cks
    Cameron f*cks
    Farage f*cks

UKIP f*cked
    Labour f*cked
    Lib Dems completely f*cked

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Newark by-election.
    Tory hold, UKip second, Labour no show, LibDems sixth behind a chap not called Elvis.

Top Story.
    Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp tweet: -"Love this: 89yr old veteran reported missing by care home who said he can't go to Normandy for 70th remembrance. We've found him there!"

Weather.
    Cold and Damp.

Is this puppy love SeanT?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422

That's photoshopped no?!?
  • Options
    The Camera height at this England match is ridiculous.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I'm assured it is genuine.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Lots on twitter saying it's 'shopped
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Lots on twitter saying it's 'shopped
    Booooooo
  • Options
    Eagles Guardian's Jonathan Haynes has the original, it's been shopped
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Smarmeron said:

More of the same old same old Sean

Thanks. That's what I've kind of gleaned while drinking wine and perusing the last few threads. Tories did pretty well in Newark, and Labour flubbed; but Labour are doing a little better in the polls. Meanwhile UKIP advance, but too slowly, and Lib Dems collapse, all-too-quickly.

The biggest change (judging by my brisk appraisal) seems to be serious reverses for the Indyref Yessers. The odds are now heavily in favour of NO once more (about 1/4 on average).

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome
    There was a poll that cheered up the Nats.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/06/02/ipsos-mori-poll-on-scottish-independence-sees-yes-cut-nos-lead-by-7-per-cent/
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Tories spoil a good week for them yet again,with the tory in-fighting stories on sunday front pages,just pathetic.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    joey7barton:

Roy Hodgson's get up ob the touchline is abysmal. Can't believe he has white socks and flip-flops on. #properenglishmanabroad

Joey is the football equivalent of the least ugly girl in the nightclub...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289

Tories spoil a good week for them yet again,with the tory in-fighting stories on sunday front pages,just pathetic.

And what is beyond absurdity is that it's about a subject which isn't going to affect even 0.01% of votes.

However I'm not sure it's going to have much impact - I haven't a clue what the row is about and I read PB every day.
  • Options
    I've been Florida when there's been a hurricane, I think the ref's been a bit over-sensitive.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

And what is beyond absurdity is that it's about a subject which isn't going to affect even 0.01% of votes.

However I'm not sure it's going to have much impact - I haven't a clue what the row is about and I read PB every day.
    It will if schools under Gove were found out that extremism was left to get out of hand.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

I've been Florida when there's been a hurricane, I think the ref's been a bit over-sensitive.

Does he get paid by the hour?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2014
    Having an argument about how to tackle islamic extremism in schools and universities is long over due, the issue is like the grooming gangs - why has it taken so long for action?

MikeL said:

It will if schools under Gove were found out that extremism was left to get out of hand.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289

MikeL said:

It's far too remote a subject from the average person - there are tens of thousands of schools in the UK - there are bound to be a few with problems of various kinds - nobody is going to do a read across of that to change their GE vote.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

No.

Have you managed to see Nigel Owen's scandalous performance today?

If he's not careful, an England fan is going to poison his guide dog.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

It's far too remote a subject from the average person - there are tens of thousands of schools in the UK - there are bound to be a few with problems of various kinds - nobody is going to do a read across of that to change their GE vote.
    You could be right,but the media will blow it up to a level that you would think the tories are at war and schools all over the country have been taken over by fanatics with Gove taking his eye off the ball.

That will have a impact ;-)

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    @SeanT wondered where you'd got to.

Summary:

UKIP basking in limelight of being protest party of the moment.
    Conservatives amazed at winning their first by-election in government in 426 bazillion years.
    Labour congratulate themselves on not trying in Newark and not winning.
    LibDems grateful that they came in the top 4 kept their deposit found some voters.

Also May and Gove went a few rounds in the ring. Settled by the knock out of a SPAD.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Newark by-election.I LIK
    Tory hold, UKip second, Labour no show, LibDems sixth behind a chap not called Elvis.

Top Story.
    Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp tweet: -"Love this: 89yr old veteran reported missing by care home who said he can't go to Normandy for 70th remembrance. We've found him there!"

Weather.
    Cold and Damp.

Is this puppy love SeanT?

I LIKE.
    Sincerely - enjoy it while it lasts. ; )
  • Options

corporeal said:

No.

Not yet, a friend of mine has it recorded so I'll report back later this week.

If Nigel has erred then now doubt it is simply to make other feel referees feel better about his normal perfection.

(If you feel like conspiracies, in the last set of autumn internationals. Wayne Barnes made a controversial forward pass no-call to deprive Wales of victory over Australia. Nigel takes his revenge).
  • Options
    What time does the England vs Honduras match start?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

No.

Not yet, a friend of mine has it recorded so I'll report back later this week.

If Nigel has erred then now doubt it is simply to make other feel referees feel better about his normal perfection.

(If you feel like conspiracies, in the last set of autumn internationals. Wayne Barnes made a controversial forward pass no-call to deprive Wales of victory over Australia. Nigel takes his revenge).
    I view it as a rare Nigel Owens mistake.
  • Options
    @SkyAnton: Argentina risk FIFA wrath by displaying banner pushing for Falklands Islands soverignty pre-Slovenia friendly http://t.co/9alqTVyNdM

Bloody Argies!!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Already.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Front pages -

Front pages - Tomorrow's Mail on Sunday front page: 'Tory bloodbath over Muslim schools fiasco'

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/99275/the_mail_on_sunday_saturday_7th_june_2014.html
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Already.
    Is it half time then?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Already.
    Is it half time then?
    ITV1
    International Football: England v Honduras
    9:30pm to 12:15am
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Already.
    Except there's been a rain-delay!
  • Options
    Looks like IDS could be about to get agreement on benefits changes across the EU

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10806647/EU-Germany-backs-British-call-for-tougher-benefit-rules.html
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

You could be right,but the media will blow it up to a level that you would think the tories are at war and schools all over the country have been taken over by fanatics with Gove taking his eye off the ball.

For sure the Daily Wail and Simon Heffalump will be stirring up the kipper tendency.

• Options
    perdix said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

For sure the Daily Wail and Simon Heffalump will be stirring up the kipper tendency.

but it's not just that paper is it ;-)

And don't be watching sky and bbc news channels tomorrow ;-)

• Options
    Oh dear, poor Andy Murray is going to cop a lot of abuse.

Via the Sunday Times

ANDY MURRAY has revealed that he “didn’t like it” when Alex Salmond unfurled a Scottish flag following his victory at Wimbledon last year.

In comments that will be interpreted by some as pro-union, Murray also pointed out that he has been “competing for Britain for 16 years”.
  • Options
    Eagles I like Murray even more now
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Via the Sunday Times

ANDY MURRAY has revealed that he “didn’t like it” when Alex Salmond unfurled a Scottish flag following his victory at Wimbledon last year.

In comments that will be interpreted by some as pro-union, Murray also pointed out that he has been “competing for Britain for 16 years”.

I assume the Nats will boycott him now?
  • Options
    Half-time England 0-0 Honduras
  • Options

Via the Sunday Times

British tennis ace Andy Murray :)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Not very far from Chris Huhne's prediction of LD 5.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    The economy getting better is a double edged sword, it can reward the tories and LD but it can make voters feel safe enough to vote Labour.
    So far it has made a very small impact on opinion polls.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,841
    Speedy said:

The economy getting better is a double edged sword, it can reward the tories and LD but it can make voters feel safe enough to vote Labour.
    So far it has made a very small impact on opinion polls.

Indeed. The way the LD vote kust keeps on sliding, I suspect the public will not be a mood to give them credit for an economic recovery regardless of how much they might or might not deserve it. The Tories might do a little better, but I lean toward thinking people will be less worried about a potential Labour government as a result. They are lucky that way.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited June 2014
    TSE starts tonight's thread ignoring the Gove-May fight. Last week he introduced Labour's "terrible" night when there was actually a swing to Labour from the Tories !

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,049
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim Renzi and Merkel have now apparently abandoned Juncker. He is expected to withdraw, with either Danish PM Thorning-Schmidt or Lithuanian President Delia Grybauskaite likely to replace him. If any sense it will be Grybauskaite.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10882531/Jean-Claude-Juncker-to-withdraw-bid-to-lead-European-Commission-sources-say.html
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    surbiton said:

TSE starts tonight's thread ignoring the Gove-May fight. Last week he introduced Labour's "terrible" night when there was actually a swing to Labour from the Tories !

Always wrong aren't you Surbiton.

Mike wrote the headline on that piece. If you noticed it was a joint piece by Mike and myself.

And the morning piece is going to be about May and Gove.
  • Options
    That news combined with the Newark by-election should give the Tories a bounce (this Opinium poll is already old news as it was taken before the Newark result).

Also, been to see Godzilla tonight, which was surprisingly enjoyable
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    surbiton said:

Remind me, how many guest articles have you submitted for consideration to be published?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,480
    Respect for his amazing achievements aside, I've never thought Murray had much of a personality. But he's shown some form there. Quite gutsy.
  • Options
    Daniel Sturridge must have money on a draw.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Dear tykejohno... The Mail runs a headline it deems best to garner itself a few more sales. 'Bloodbath' is a red letter dog whistling classic journo word to squeeze into a headline. The truth follows a long way behind.
    We should recognise these things. The Mail cares nothing except how best to sell copy. It's a newspaper for gawds sake, don't expect anything approaching reality.
    Who is there to protect us from journalists?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:
    "The Sunday Mirror reported the row last week, but now Ms Fuller has revealed she later tried to end her life."

A very moving and a tragic story, - I wonder how much the trollop hopes to make from this?

• Options

surbiton said:

Mike wrote the headline on that piece. If you noticed it was a joint piece by Mike and myself.

How can I be wrong ? You have decided that the hottest political topic of four years is relegated to the next day when the lead is yet another Labour lead.
  • Options
    TSE Murray would be supporting Honduras tonight judging by previous statements, so is still a true Scot and clearly not English, even if he does compete for Britain
  • Options
    A SENIOR Labour frontbencher has warned that traditional Labour voters are “abandoning” Ed Miliband because the party has taken them for granted.

Rachel Reeves, the shadow work and pensions secretary, admitted that “the people who the Labour party was set up to help” are flocking to UKIP because they “don’t see us as the answer”.

She observed that Labour’s majorities in the recent local elections had plummeted in working-class seats and warned that the party’s existence would be under threat unless it can win them back while still reaching out to middle-class floating voters.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1420274.ece
  • Options

surbiton said:

Some "joint" piece. I only see your initials. The T stands for Tory, I suppose.
  • Options

A SENIOR Labour frontbencher has warned that traditional Labour voters are “abandoning” Ed Miliband because the party has taken them for granted.

Rachel Reeves, the shadow work and pensions secretary, admitted that “the people who the Labour party was set up to help” are flocking to UKIP because they “don’t see us as the answer”.

She observed that Labour’s majorities in the recent local elections had plummeted in working-class seats and warned that the party’s existence would be under threat unless it can win them back while still reaching out to middle-class floating voters.

So that is what Andrew Neil was tweeting about last night..
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TSE Murray would be supporting Honduras tonight judging by previous statements, so is still a true Scot and clearly not English, even if he does compete for Britain

Murray knows that there are 53m English people and 5m Scots. 53m is a bigger market.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Some "joint" piece. I only see your initials. The T stands for Tory, I suppose.
    Perhaps you missed the bit where it says "Mike Smithson says"
  • Options

ToryJim said:
    "The Sunday Mirror reported the row last week, but now Ms Fuller has revealed she later tried to end her life."

A very moving and a tragic story, - I wonder how much the trollop hopes to make from this?

Anyone who tries to take their own life is clearly not in a good place. I have every sympathy.
  • Options

That's what I was thinking.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Red on rEd incoming. At last a bid to topple Ed.

Most important news story for at least five years, TSE.

Suggest you pull the thread planned for tomorrow morning and go with this story.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Red on Red incoming. At last a bid to topple Ed.

Suggest you pull the thread planned for tomorrow morning and go with this story.
    I second that, Neil said so too.. Rachel reeves on manoeuvures thread pls......
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Red on rEd incoming. At last a bid to topple Ed.

I'm off to bed.

Maybe for the afternoon.
  • Options

For my next trick, I predict you'll be saying spurs will qualify for champs league next season and you've bet on soldado as top pl scorer....

I'm right aren't i?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

It's a funny old world.

Labour must be in deep trouble, if you describe Rachel Reeves as a Senior front bencher, then all is lost!

On a slightly more serious note, which leader do we think took the WWC (assuming that is the demographic she refers to) for granted to the greatest degree?

Tony Blair or Ed Milliband?

She may identify a course of action adopted by this group, there may be some doubt as to the accuracy of the diagnosis.

• Options
    edited June 2014

For my next trick, I predict you'll be saying spurs will qualify for champs league next season and you've bet on soldado as top pl scorer....

I'm right aren't i?
    Spurs are on the up! I really do rate your new manager, and have bet on you guys getting a top 4 place next season.

Bobby Sol is off to Spain. You're trying to hijack one of our deals and offering the footballing Jade Dernbach as part ex

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2648599/Tottenham-offer-14m-Sevillas-Alberto-Moreno-ready-dispatch-Roberto-Soldado-loan-deal.html
  • Options
    England fail to beat 10-man Honduras - not encouraging.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350
    AveryLP said:

Rachel will be thrilled at your fascination, Avery!
  • Options
    Surbiton Indeed, he would also rather represent Britain at the Olympics and Davis Cup than Scotland
  • Options
    My last post before bed.

There's nothing in the Sunday Times about the YouGov.
  • Options
    Rachel Reeves? Where? :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014

AveryLP said:

My heart is pledged, Nick.

It's Itchen4Rowenna.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

England fail to beat 10-man Honduras - not encouraging.

I actually quite like this England team. No so sure about the defence but a bit more flair than usual with the likes of Lallana, Sturrdige, Barkley, Sterling and Rooney (pity he's off form) plus attack minded full backs. But the coach doesn't fit. Hodgson is better with players like James Milner and Emile Heskey.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    surbiton said:

How can I be wrong ?

Because being wrong is what you're good at.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

It's Itchen4Rowenna.
    My life is complete - Avery taking on a term I coined ;)
  • Options
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

It's Itchen4Rowenna.
    My life is complete - Avery taking on a term I coined ;)
    You have spoilt the plan, Neil.

I was expecting you to come on and point out to Nick that I had renounced Rowenna.

I would then have replied: "Neil! Don't tell Nick, he's one of Rowenna's bruvvas!".

Ah well, I shall just state that I do not contest your copyright claim.

• Options
    @AveryLP

In the state I'm in I am doing well to remember my own posts never mind anyone else's! I'll skip on the specifics but let's just say I've had a weekend that even our own JohnO would consider adventerous.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@AveryLP

In the state I'm in I am doing well to remember my own posts never mind anyone else's! I'll skip on the specifics but let's just say I've had a weekend that even our own JohnO would consider adventerous.

You are in Weymouth?

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I have just read the Daily Mail version of this story....
    ToryJim said:
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2014
    Can I just make the most important point here as one of the PB ladies on this site, sod politics or the fecking by-election result. I want details of this very diverting romantic entanglement that led to matters of the heart proving such a distraction from politics that one of our most confirmed PB bachelors went AWOL for so long!!!
    SeanT said:

Any news?

I would be grateful.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

ToryJim said:

I don't even think that story should be run tbh, clearly a woman in a desperate situation, she needs help not a Mirror splash. They should have forwarded her to the Samaritans or some such.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim Renzi and Merkel have now apparently abandoned Juncker. He is expected to withdraw, with either Danish PM Thorning-Schmidt or Lithuanian President Delia Grybauskaite likely to replace him. If any sense it will be Grybauskaite.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10882531/Jean-Claude-Juncker-to-withdraw-bid-to-lead-European-Commission-sources-say.html

This seems to have come from an anonymous HvR's person but it's now being denied by the official HvR spokesman. "A source close to" Juncker says he's still in.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim said:

Looks like IDS could be about to get agreement on benefits changes across the EU

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10806647/EU-Germany-backs-British-call-for-tougher-benefit-rules.html

If you're trying to restrict the ability of people from poor EU countries to claim benefits in rich EU countries and you need most of the governments to agree to make the change, the difficult people to persuade are the governments of the poor countries, not other rich countries...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    SeanT said:

Any news?

I would be grateful.

By-election: Tories won, UKIP a bit meh, Labour squeezed, LibDems got about four.
    EU: Cameron plotting to score a huge victory by defeating the duly elected conservative candidate and installing Neil Kinnock's socialist daughter-in-law instead.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Hello insomniacs.

I must say - I come back to find that TSE's cunningly disguised pre-planned afternoon thread Rocks. Yeah!!! I shall endeavour not to be so easily mislead in future.
  • Options
    Is this the morning thread??
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    SeanT said:

Any news?

I would be grateful.

Nothing much. Probably Labour's worst by-election performance in 30 years...
  • Options
    I've just re-read the thread - It's not the morning thread!!!! Yeah!!! I guess we just have to wait for TSE to wake up now...
This discussion has been closed.