Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : June 5th 2014

2»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,050
    Indeed, Mr. Jim.

Only the Morris Dancer Party has a credible European policy: the invasion of France.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

Classy old Daily Mirror

Nigel Farage: I help a disabled blonde woman back to the hotel – and the tabloids rejoice

"This time I have returned from an industry event following an invitation much earlier in the year to address delegates at their national conference to a disgraceful front page “story” in the Daily Mirror. That group of papers now seem to view me as a paparazzi target; their alliance with Hope Not Hate and other assorted left wing extremists promoting negativity against Ukip having failed to stop us succeed in the recent elections.

And what were these shocking actions which resulted in me being a front page tabloid story and my wife being doorstepped by a sleazy hack waving grainy photographs? Helping a partially disabled woman who has to walk using crutches back to the hotel all the delegates were staying in. Being blonde and talking to me without taking to Twitter to slag me off made her, in the eyes of that paper, an acceptable target for intrusion."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nigel-farage-i-help-a-disabled-blonde-woman-back-to-the-hotel--and-the-tabloids-rejoice-9494936.html

Don't know about the blonde but WTF was Farage doing in Malta during the final days of the first winnable by election since Eastleigh. Seize the Moment Nigel.....
    He was there Saturday and today I think
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    welshowl said:

Mr. Jim, it's not just the idiot himself, it's the nature of the role he seeks. It's an inherent flaw with the EU (one of many).

Mr. Eagles, I'd be surprised if Juncker's quite so bad on a personal level...

Well Juncker is well rumoured to like a drink so he might not be all bad on a personal level. However, Stalin was also a raging piss-artist so its no guarantee.
    Hitler was a veggie teetotaller and so a great argument for enjoying a burger and a pint. I rather like politicians with flaws. Shows they're human and like the rest of us. It's the monastic zealots you've got to be wary of.
    I agree, Mr. Howl, as long as those flaws as within what most people might regard as socially normal - the like of a glass or two, the enjoyment of some tobacco here and there, maybe a little flutter with the bookies maybe even a little discreet rumpy-pumpy with consenting adults. The zealots are always to be mistrusted as are people who set-up photo opportunities of them behaving in a way contrary to their normal pattern in order to try an convince us they are normal members of society.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

isam said:

Classy old Daily Mirror

Nigel Farage: I help a disabled blonde woman back to the hotel – and the tabloids rejoice

"This time I have returned from an industry event following an invitation much earlier in the year to address delegates at their national conference to a disgraceful front page “story” in the Daily Mirror. That group of papers now seem to view me as a paparazzi target; their alliance with Hope Not Hate and other assorted left wing extremists promoting negativity against Ukip having failed to stop us succeed in the recent elections.

And what were these shocking actions which resulted in me being a front page tabloid story and my wife being doorstepped by a sleazy hack waving grainy photographs? Helping a partially disabled woman who has to walk using crutches back to the hotel all the delegates were staying in. Being blonde and talking to me without taking to Twitter to slag me off made her, in the eyes of that paper, an acceptable target for intrusion."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nigel-farage-i-help-a-disabled-blonde-woman-back-to-the-hotel--and-the-tabloids-rejoice-9494936.html

Don't know about the blonde but WTF was Farage doing in Malta during the final days of the first winnable by election since Eastleigh. Seize the Moment Nigel.....
    Winnable? They lost Newark 3 weeks ago.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

I believe there is evidence that Hitler was fond of liver dumplings, so not a vegetarian:

http://hitlershealth.greyfalcon.us/vegetarian.html

but not liking beer puts him beyond the pale...

welshowl said:

Mr. Jim, it's not just the idiot himself, it's the nature of the role he seeks. It's an inherent flaw with the EU (one of many).

Well Juncker is well rumoured to like a drink so he might not be all bad on a personal level. However, Stalin was also a raging piss-artist so its no guarantee.
    Hitler was a veggie teetotaller and so a great argument for enjoying a burger and a pint. I rather like politicians with flaws. Shows they're human and like the rest of us. It's the monastic zealots you've got to be wary of.
    Hitler was also an anti-smoking fanatic and proto-green.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

welshowl said:

I agree, Mr. Howl, as long as those flaws as within what most people might regard as socially normal - the like of a glass or two, the enjoyment of some tobacco here and there, maybe a little flutter with the bookies maybe even a little discreet rumpy-pumpy with consenting adults. The zealots are always to be mistrusted as are people who set-up photo opportunities of them behaving in a way contrary to their normal pattern in order to try an convince us they are normal members of society.
    People only say Hitler was a vegetarian and environmentalist to make him look bad
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    edited June 2014
    @TSE

Luke Skywalker: "What a piece of Juncker!"
    Han Solo: "He can make point-5 past light speed!"
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @shadsy‌

Ladbrokes are still 1/16 Cons in Newark?!

Its 1.01 on Betfair
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    isam said:

welshowl said:

People just say Hitler was a vegetarian and environmentalist to make him look bad
    Thank you, Mr. Sam, my first real belly laugh of the day (I get far fewer of them now than I did when I was working).

I am still lost as to what Clegg and Cable thought they were doing in that pub the other day. Who did they think the would impress?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited June 2014
    @ Mr Foxinsox

A German not liking beer is as rare as one that can't take penalties in my experience
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    @isam‌
    Hitler was a megalomaniac, war mongering anti-Semite responsible for many millions of deaths and the infliction of misery upon countless others. Yet it's his diet and environmentalism that makes him look bad. Jesus H Christ!!
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, traditional bookies take longer to react than an exchange. Quite helpful that they do, actually. Last year (or was it the year before... actually it was 2012) that enabled me to get nice odds on Maldonado and Alonso, starting 1 and 2, to lead lap 1 of the Spanish Grand Prix when the would-be pole-sitter Hamilton get sent to the back of the grid.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Mr. Jim, ahem, I suspect that was an entirely deliberate witticism.

Edited extra bit: F1, P1 and P2 are tomorrow at 3pm and 7pm respectively.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Breaking news.Nigel Farage will be absent from Question Time this week so David Dimbleby will chair this week.He may have been working too hard,bless him,in Malta.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2014

STV is ok, but I think MMP is better at directly reflecting votes to seats.

It's possible to alter STV so that the national result reflects first preferences only.

Or if you prefer an exaggerative system, there's PR^2, which retains STV-like preferences.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Telegraph front page a sea of Union flags

@Telegraph: Tomorrow's Daily Telegraph front page: "Obama urges Scotland not to leave extraordinary Union" http://t.co/xgcuuMMfX0
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics · 4 mins
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now six points: CON 31%, LAB 37%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    25/1 on bet fair for Kippers for Newark - no takers ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics · 4 mins
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now six points: CON 31%, LAB 37%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%

YouGov/The Sunil:

Tory/UKIP 46%
    Progressives 45%

OR:

COA 39%
    Lab 37%
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    New Thread
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited June 2014
    Voting has ended, I'll be keeping an eye on the very local Newark Advertiser for any developments on this very boring by election.
    http://newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/news/Live-Newark-by-election-results
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    So now the polls have closed, what do people think Newark will serve up?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    TGOHF said:

Telegraph front page a sea of Union flags

No change there then.

Gideon Rachman @gideonrachman · 3h
    Those remarks from Obama on Scotland were not spontaneous. Came after an informal request from No 10.

This discussion has been closed.