Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Christine Lagarde is 4-1 to be next President of the Europe

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,050
    Mr. Isam, could also argue it's a sign of a thinning middle class. Those on tight budgets are more willing to go for cheaper alternatives, those with aspirations of being upper middle class desire to shop at Waitrose.

I think I read a report a few months ago that independent/corner shops were doing rather better as well, which is a good thing.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    surbiton said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

I see that the European Securities and Markets Authority has censured S&P for what they said about France.

The budget for ESMA has gone from Euro 5M and 25 staff in 2011 to Euro 33M and 184 staff this year. Inflation?

Actually the censure is for accidentally pressing the wrong button in S&P systems which triggered a downgrade warning on France when none was being made. Of course ESMA is the European answer to the old question qui custodiet ipsos custodes as it's function is in essence to rate the ratings agencies.
    I wonder how this slap on the wrist will go down in France, with BNP Paribas facing a $10 billion fine in New York?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27676000
    If you don't want a fine for sanctions busting, don't bust sanctions. I actually quite like the US regulators as they do seem to take the view of handing out savage punishments for miscreants pour encourager les autres
    Even if it happens outside the UK and within French jurisdiction. The US should be told to F*** OFF.
    Given the proposed extraterritorial approach to the Financial Transactions Tax, France can't exactly claim the moral high ground here.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Looks like there will be nothing in the Queen's Speech to protect the NHS.It's perhaps what can be expected of a zombie government.Anyone know if zombies go private?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060

Looks like there will be nothing in the Queen's Speech to protect the NHS.It's perhaps what can be expected of a zombie government.Anyone know if zombies go private?

Thanks Owen.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Bloody Hell, going to have to change my shopping habits with the levy.

Start using those bag for life thingies.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

The NHS can look after itself, it deploys biological defences in most of its hospitals anyway.
  • Options
    Nick Clegg for EU President.
  • Options
    The rumour earlier on about Jean-Claude Juncker seems to be entirely untrue:

" Jean-Claude Juncker @JunckerEU · 5m I am more confident than ever that I will be the next European Commission President."
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Jean-Claude Juncker ‏@JunckerEU · 10 mins
    I am more confident than ever that I will be the next European Commission President.

t**t....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited June 2014
    antifrank said:

surbiton said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

I see that the European Securities and Markets Authority has censured S&P for what they said about France.

The budget for ESMA has gone from Euro 5M and 25 staff in 2011 to Euro 33M and 184 staff this year. Inflation?

Actually the censure is for accidentally pressing the wrong button in S&P systems which triggered a downgrade warning on France when none was being made. Of course ESMA is the European answer to the old question qui custodiet ipsos custodes as it's function is in essence to rate the ratings agencies.
    I wonder how this slap on the wrist will go down in France, with BNP Paribas facing a $10 billion fine in New York?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27676000
    If you don't want a fine for sanctions busting, don't bust sanctions. I actually quite like the US regulators as they do seem to take the view of handing out savage punishments for miscreants pour encourager les autres
    Even if it happens outside the UK and within French jurisdiction. The US should be told to F*** OFF.
    Given the proposed extraterritorial approach to the Financial Transactions Tax, France can't exactly claim the moral high ground here.
    The FTT would be paid to the country where the transaction arose. The US fine is about a transaction that supposedly had nothing to do with the US except as Snowden revealed it is biggest of all BIG BROTHERS.

It seems only Putin can show two fingers to the US.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The rumour earlier on about Jean-Claude Juncker seems to be entirely untrue:

" Jean-Claude Juncker @JunckerEU · 5m I am more confident than ever that I will be the next European Commission President."

Activate CamRef!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    @JunckerEU: I am more confident than ever that I will be the next European Commission President.

That's his latest tweet, doesn't sound like he's withdrawing.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@JunckerEU: I am more confident than ever that I will be the next European Commission President.

That's his latest tweet, doesn't sound like he's withdrawing.

Bet he drives a sports car with a long bonnet through the Mont Blanc tunnel.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    ToryJim said:

O/t the Queen has a new coach to ride to open Parliament today. I must say it looks beautiful and lovingly made. Also the fact there are little pieces of history as part of the fabric of the coach is exquisite.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2647757/The-Queens-new-palace-wheels-Wood-Newtons-apple-tree-A-bullet-Waterloo-Metal-Dambuster-Unveiled-today-carriage-thats-mobile-museum-history.html

That is remarkable and brilliant.
  • Options
    It's all very exciting, who gets to be custodian of a dying experiment? Who gets to declare war on itself?
  • Options
    O/t looks like PoW is attending State Opening again this year. Interesting, not sure he's ever attended 2 consecutively before.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @volcanopete

'Looks like there will be nothing in the Queen's Speech to protect the NHS'

Agree,surprised there is no proposal to remove control of the NHS in Wales from the Assembly.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

No, its job is to rubbish any ratings agency that dares to say anything nasty about the EU.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

O/t the Queen has a new coach to ride to open Parliament today. I must say it looks beautiful and lovingly made. Also the fact there are little pieces of history as part of the fabric of the coach is exquisite.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2647757/The-Queens-new-palace-wheels-Wood-Newtons-apple-tree-A-bullet-Waterloo-Metal-Dambuster-Unveiled-today-carriage-thats-mobile-museum-history.html

That is remarkable and brilliant.
    In this age of Austerity, the coach has only been insured third party, fire and theft.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

No, its job is to rubbish any ratings agency that dares to say anything nasty about the EU.
    Well that's what it does but it's remit isn't couched in such lunatic terms officially
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited June 2014

There's more than enough legislation already.

QE2 should announce that Parliament's on a very long holiday, and her subjects can get on with their lives, free from additional, largely pointless, meddling and interference by the fools in Westminster.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

Well that's what it does but it's remit isn't couched in such lunatic terms officially
    :-)
  • Options
    Some legislation on pubs in the speech. Let's hope they don't muff it up and wreck my nice little earner.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited June 2014

Road Trip 2015 ‏@RoadTrip2015 36s
    Our #RoadTrip2015 journey so far: Cannock Chase (50 ppl) ➝ Harlow (75) ➝ Chester & Cheadle (80) ➝ Enfield North (130) ➝ Newark (300).

Times News ‏@TimesNewsdesk
    Sex and vindaloo lures young Tory army to Newark http://thetim.es/1kuUErN

Just saying…!

Hasn't sex always been one of the main reasons for people to join the Young Conservatives? I thought that was the subtext of their rebranding as CFUK...

(I am told the Young Farmers exist for a similar purpose.)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I agree with those who are sceptical about the Lagarde suggestion, and I'm certainly not backing at 4/1. However, I do wonder whether France would veto it, if the other objections could be overcome and of course assuming that Madame Lagarde would actually want the gig. Given that it will be a centre-right candidate, perhaps Hollande were prefer a French centre-right candidate. The appointment will in any case be made after an intense bout of behind-the-scenes horsetrading, and perhaps some other carrot could be dangled in front of Hollande. From the point of view of both Germany and Britain, and of the other countries who want reform and a more business-friendly EU, Lagarde would be a superb appointment; even if the formal powers of the role are heavily circumscribed, as a symbolic statement it would be a very powerful move in the direction Germany and Britain are seeking.

In the end I think the difficulties will mean it won't happen, but the fact that it is being discussed is itself interesting. The 4/5 on Juncker looks too short.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Some legislation on pubs in the speech. Let's hope they don't muff it up and wreck my nice little earner.

The must be a good chance that they will, Mr. Woolie. Remember that it was Lord Young's attempt to improve the selection of beers in pubs that led directly to the likes of Punch Taverns and so many pubs becoming so unprofitable they had to close. The mass destruction of the English pub is a direct result of politicians, who hadn't a clue what they were talking about, trying to be helpful. Truly the road to perdition is paved with good intentions.
  • Options

The must be a good chance that they will, Mr. Woolie. Remember that it was Lord Young's attempt to improve the selection of beers in pubs that led directly to the likes of Punch Taverns and so many pubs becoming so unprofitable they had to close. The mass destruction of the English pub is a direct result of politicians, who hadn't a clue what they were talking about, trying to be helpful. Truly the road to perdition is paved with good intentions.
    The smoking ban killed more pubs. Chuck in drink/drive laws and the disconnect between supermarket alcohol pricing and licensed premises, and you've got a lethal cocktail.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited June 2014

I think I read a report a few months ago that independent/corner shops were doing rather better as well, which is a good thing.

That's consistent with stretched household budgets encouraging people not to use the car as much, which is supported by the transport statistics.

However, the big supermarkets are moving aggressively into the corner shop market - for example the "One-Stop" brand is now owned by Tesco - and so it's not clear that independent shops will be benefiting.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Jean-Claude JunckerVERIFIED ACCOUNT
    @JunckerEU I am not on my knees before any leader. I won the elections. #withJuncker pic.twitter.com/9Puwe1xkVq

Juncker proving Camerons words on twitter in so so many ways.
  • Options
    ICE CREAM EMERGENCY

999 called

In the recording, the woman can be heard complaining about the ice cream she has been given.

"I've ordered an ice cream and he's put bits on one side and none of the other," she said.

"He's refusing to give me my money back and saying I've got to take it like that."
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, how peculiar. I can't recall seeing his name on the ballot paper. Or, indeed, voting for a president.
  • Options

Mr. Slackbladder, how peculiar. I can't recall seeing his name on the ballot paper. Or, indeed, voting for a president.

The EPP achieved 28000 odd votes in the Euros.

They only stood in one region.

Even the Liberal Democrats did better.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The EPP achieved 28000 odd votes in the Euros.

They only stood in one region.

Even the Liberal Democrats did better.
    They also got 10,000 votes in northern Ireland.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,772
    Is this a good or bad thing for Cameron and Juncker?

Mandelson backs PM over effort to block Juncker at European commission

Former European trade commissioner says it is reasonable for Cameron to want 'informed choice' of president

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/04/peter-mandelson-david-cameron-jean-claude-juncker
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

Mr. K, can't judge a book by its cover. Socrates was famous for his ugliness.

In the same way, pace Billy Connolly, that you're an intellectual if you can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger, what are you if you can read the name Socrates without wanting to pronounce it "Sew crates"?

For me, ever since Bill and Ted it's been Sew Crates all the way.
  • Options
    I always forget just how sparkly the crown is on State Opening day.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

That's India and Pakistan's contribution to the Crown.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    ToryJim said:

Apparently Phil gives it the once over with the brasso and a duster .... he's done a good job again.

• Options
    Mr. Bond, what if you forgot how Bill and Ted said it?
  • Options
    Forget everything else, Angry Birds Land has been opened today.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2014
    Nunners ‏@realnunners 8m
    I will vote Roger Helmer UKIP, because real men have a mustache #Newark #newarkbyelection

Hmm, this wasn't on the list of reasons for voting UKIp - perhaps Mr Llama could elucidate..?
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Hey, if you can't make off with the mineral wealth of colonial possessions ;)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Hey, if you can't make off with the mineral wealth of colonial possessions ;)
    Bloody Foreigners, coming over, stealing stuff from the hard working natives.
  • Options
    Camilla wearing the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara, fast becoming her signature headgear.
  • Options

In the same way, pace Billy Connolly, that you're an intellectual if you can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger, what are you if you can read the name Socrates without wanting to pronounce it "Sew crates"?

Tbh I think of the footballer when I see the name
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2014

Tbh I think of the footballer when I see the name
    There's a footballer called Sew Crates? I never knew that.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161

I agree with those who are sceptical about the Lagarde suggestion, and I'm certainly not backing at 4/1. However, I do wonder whether France would veto it, if the other objections could be overcome and of course assuming that Madame Lagarde would actually want the gig. Given that it will be a centre-right candidate, perhaps Hollande were prefer a French centre-right candidate. The appointment will in any case be made after an intense bout of behind-the-scenes horsetrading, and perhaps some other carrot could be dangled in front of Hollande. From the point of view of both Germany and Britain, and of the other countries who want reform and a more business-friendly EU, Lagarde would be a superb appointment; even if the formal powers of the role are heavily circumscribed, as a symbolic statement it would be a very powerful move in the direction Germany and Britain are seeking.

In the end I think the difficulties will mean it won't happen, but the fact that it is being discussed is itself interesting. The 4/5 on Juncker looks too short.

It's not just a veto that's the issue, it's not nominating her as their commissioner, since they only have one slot. It would be fun if Cameron or someone else gave her their country's slot instead to annoy the French, but he probably won't.

There's a similar issue with Martin Schulz. He has a deal with Juncker where he becomes deputy, but he can't do that unless Merkel nominates him, and she'd probably rather pick someone of her own party, and she and the other heads of government are already cheezed off at the parliament rolling them on the nominee, without letting him pick a cabinet as well.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,182
    surbiton said:

Carnyx said:

Lagarde to the EU, El Gordo to the IMF. Job done.

Largarde to the EU, Darling to the IMF. Brown should not be allowed near any financial institution ever again.

Indeed I suspect even our own institutions are concerned about El Gordo's own private dealings.. what with the Curse of Gordo and all that.

Never allow Gordon Brown to touch anything to do with money, EVER AGAIN
    Hm! He's lecturing his fellow Scots (or, as he might put it at least when talking to US radio stations, North Britons) on precisely that at the moment ...

Gordon turned the tide in Scotland with his speech !
    A decidedly ambiguous comment, that!

• Options
    edited June 2014

The smoking ban killed more pubs. Chuck in drink/drive laws and the disconnect between supermarket alcohol pricing and licensed premises, and you've got a lethal cocktail.
    Yes, the smoking ban has made it very difficult, although it has forced us to look outside the box to keep trade up. It's the supermarkets that are the big enemy, selling at a loss/bare minimum because they can. I'm lucky in being the only pub in the village, but I have to put a constant stream of activity on to hold up. You also have the dichotomy of Wetherspoons running the exact opposite strategy of the PubCos in towns which doesn't help, and the free houses stuck in the middle not knowing whether to undercut tied houses and compete with Wetherspoons (good luck with that) or cash in on cheaper wholsesale and match the tied houses for price and risk losing trade.
    It's not the game it used to be, but that I'm afraid is Fatchas fault. Alcohol should never have been farmed out to anyone who fancied selling it. Keep it in pubs and off licenses and we'd all have a trade to fight in, and there wouldn't be such a rampant home drinking culture, pre-drinking or any of the other daft innovations of the last 25 years.

• Options
    Constitutional question:

Does the Queen have a vote in elections ?

Do other royals ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Constitutional question:

Do other royals ?

Yes
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Constitutional question:

Do other royals ?

Yes
    I don't believe she does.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Pulpstar said:

Constitutional question:

Do other royals ?

Yes
    They all have a vote, but most don't
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Pulpstar said:

Constitutional question:

Do other royals ?

Yes
    Didn't it change when hereditary peers got chucked out the Lords?
  • Options
    Reading this profile of Juncker he seems to be surprisingly badass. I love the way he tells the truth about lying.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10874230/Jean-Claude-Juncker-profile-When-it-becomes-serious-you-have-to-lie.html
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Can the Queen vote?

The Queen can vote, but in practice it is considered unconstitutional for the Monarch to vote in an election.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/elections-faq-page/
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Pulpstar said:

The only thing that could be better for UKIP than Juncker getting the role is Tony Blair.

Mr Blair would probably be the right sort of candidate for Mr Cameron

Mr Hannan suggests that the qualities HMG seeks in a candidate are: "someone who can be relied on to play along with the idea that Britain has secured meaningful improvements."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100274672/which-faceless-eurocrat-did-you-vote-for/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

It was interesting on newsnight that Jacob Rees-Mogg was claiming that the Council of Ministers was more democratic than the Parliament as it represented member states.

From memory this is similar to the Delors/Thatcher arguments of No, No, No! fame.

Yes, a bit like the American Federalist vs Confederalist debate in the 19th century too, and there is a real struggle going on. But it's quite a difficult moment to push for reducing the EP's power when it's just been re-elected - a reasonable response is "You didn't say you thought it wasn't important when you asked for our votes last month!" The danger for sceptics is that they're putting all their eggs into the "Anyone but Juncker" basket, as their real fear is not Juncker personally (since he can't achieve anything on his own) but a continuing shift towards the EP and away from national governments. So a deal whereby Juncker concedes to some super-federalist as part of a deal with the swing vote states is a possible outcome - hard for the sceptics to then say "Hey, we don't like him either".

• Options
    Howard tweeting away
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Okay, who put £2.20 on?

steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 27s

Paddy Power suspend betting on Nigel Farage standing in Thanet South
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Okay, who put £2.20 on?

steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 27s

Paddy Power suspend betting on Nigel Farage standing in Thanet South

I'm on for £25 with Shadsy at 2-1
  • Options
    Trust Dennis Skinner to be rude.
  • Options

Yes, the smoking ban has made it very difficult, although it has forced us to look outside the box to keep trade up. It's the supermarkets that are the big enemy, selling at a loss/bare minimum because they can. I'm lucky in being the only pub in the village, but I have to put a constant stream of activity on to hold up. You also have the dichotomy of Wetherspoons running the exact opposite strategy of the PubCos in towns which doesn't help, and the free houses stuck in the middle not knowing whether to undercut tied houses and compete with Wetherspoons (good luck with that) or cash in on cheaper wholsesale and match the tied houses for price and risk losing trade.
    It's not the game it used to be, but that I'm afraid is Fatchas fault. Alcohol should never have been farmed out to anyone who fancied selling it. Keep it in pubs and off licenses and we'd all have a trade to fight in, and there wouldn't be such a rampant home drinking culture, pre-drinking or any of the other daft innovations of the last 25 years.

The reform I'd favour would be to have a higher rate of alcohol duty for off license sales of alcohol, so that there is an implicit subsidy for the licensee's duty to help preserve public order - a failure of which I understand can lead to an on license being revoked.

Combine that with a law preventing supermarkets from selling alcohol at below the rate of duty and you'd have a chance of tilting the balance back a bit.
  • Options
    Yay tax cuts.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Wheres the banging on the door, why was Bercow not being dragged !

Pfft

Ah there it is, the speaker should still be dragged though.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, surely you mean 'a rise in council tax to fund free childcare so that the UK can aspire to the dizzying heights of the eurozone's growth in GDP'?
  • Options
    I always love the discongruity of the Queen mouthing political platitudes.
  • Options

The reform I'd favour would be to have a higher rate of alcohol duty for off license sales of alcohol, so that there is an implicit subsidy for the licensee's duty to help preserve public order - a failure of which I understand can lead to an on license being revoked.

Combine that with a law preventing supermarkets from selling alcohol at below the rate of duty and you'd have a chance of tilting the balance back a bit.
    Yes, that could start to shift the balance.
    I'd also favour going back to the old licensing hours system. When pubs could only open 11-2 and 5-11 (or variants thereof) it meant the lunch crowd knew when to be there etc, especially good for weekend lunchtimes, and helped with the public order side of things. Now there is an expectation you will be open 'whenever' with the associated cost in time and money of providing that service.
  • Options
    Watching without sound, looked like Cameron and Miliband were getting along better than Osborne and Balls though !
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Vincenzo Scarpetta ‏@LondonerVince · 11 mins
    Via @straneuropa: Rumours that #Juncker is about to pull out of EC President race. Big if true. Official confirmation needed. #EP2014

It wouldn't be that surprising. He supposedly didn't really want this job in the first place. It's easier to find one man a consolation prize than to find an entire country a consolation prize.
    The deal is that he withdraws from the running and in return he gets to be Prime Minister of Great Britain.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Watching without sound, looked like Cameron and Miliband were getting along better than Osborne and Balls though !

Does Balls get on with anyone? He's the fat lonely kid at school who eschews friendship.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Does Balls get on with anyone? He's the fat lonely kid at school who eschews friendship.
    One assumes that he got on well with Brown. Says it all.
  • Options
    Some dodgy bloke and Roger Helmer

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 1m

Roger and me.

pic.twitter.com/u4OClTfNK2
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, looks like a shady fellow to me.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Just a thought, but the Queen is definitely looking a lot more "frail" this year (though making a great show of hiding it)
  • Options
    So there is a chance that the recall power will be introduced, that's good.

Naturally it's only happening just before there will be more Labour MPs in Parliament to recall, but better late than not at all.
  • Options
    Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson 48s

Four page boys came in with the Queen.... three leave, cos one's fainted in the course of that speech.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

One assumes that he got on well with Brown. Says it all.
    Ahhh, yes, the pious religious kid at school who nicks the sherbet dips and cries to God about it at bedtime.
  • Options
    Looks like theses one fewer pages bearing the robe on exit, apparently one of the poor lads fainted with all the excitement/pressure. Bless.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Looks like theses one fewer pages bearing the robe on exit, apparently one of the poor lads fainted with all the excitement/pressure. Bless.

To the tower with him! Disgraceful lack of spine,
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

You mean reduce beer duty in pubs rather than push it up in off licences... we don't want more beer taxes..

• Options

ToryJim said:

Oh come on, they are only 8-10 years old. It must be very nerve-wracking.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    TGOHF said:

You mean reduce beer duty in pubs rather than push it up in off licences... we don't want more beer taxes..

No, make supermarkets and corner shops price it appropriately. Nobody should be able to buy 12 bottles of premium lager for £8.

Caveat - I am rather selfish here for business reasons!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

If an 88 year old Monarch and her near 93 year old spouse can maintain the pace of the Queen's Speech, then an 8 to 10 year old should be able to as well.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Old enough to faint, old enough to be incarcerated at her majesty's pleasure.
    An example must be set ;-)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

No, make supermarkets and corner shops price it appropriately. Nobody should be able to buy 12 bottles of premium lager for £8.

Caveat - I am rather selfish here for business reasons!
    Nobody should drink lager lets be honest.

Would be good to see a small initial differential to help the pubs though.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I mean solely to introduce a differential.

It is less important to me whether that occurs by increasing off-license rates, reducing on-license rates, or some combination of the two.
  • Options
    I must say this lack of charity to a very nervous young boy is really surprising. Thankfully it won't be shared by Her Majesty who will doubtless make sure the young lad doesn't feel as if he spoiled anything.
  • Options
    Has any pub/offy/home/supermarket differential been created in the Queens speech ?
  • Options

Yes, that could start to shift the balance.
    I'd also favour going back to the old licensing hours system. When pubs could only open 11-2 and 5-11 (or variants thereof) it meant the lunch crowd knew when to be there etc, especially good for weekend lunchtimes, and helped with the public order side of things. Now there is an expectation you will be open 'whenever' with the associated cost in time and money of providing that service.
    I like Mr. Me's idea of higher duty for off sales and a restriction on supermarket prices and I am in full agreement of going back to the old two session licensing hours, even if they did produce some strange anomalies.

However, the real problem with pubs at the moment is the prices they charge. I have no beef with the landlords here, they are struggling to make a living but the prices in pubs has now reached the point where they are getting beyond the ordinary bloke. A pint of Guinness in an ordinary pub in Brighton the other week was £4.80. A sandwich in my local village pub is £6.85 and a pint of Harvey's Best £3.80. When my boy and I stopped off at a rural pub the other week two pints each and two slices of cheese on toast came to just under thirty quid. These are crazy prices and until they are addressed more and more pubs will close.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I must say this lack of charity to a very nervous young boy is really surprising. Thankfully it won't be shared by Her Majesty who will doubtless make sure the young lad doesn't feel as if he spoiled anything.

He should lose XBox rights for 6 months and be sent to stay the f&&k awake camp.

I am of course joking. Poor lad.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

I was just yanking your chain.

Having a friend in the Grenadier Guards, I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who attends her Majesty, the protocol alone is enough to make anyone feint.
  • Options
    F1: early bet (NB not a tip).

Backed Perez to be winner without Rosberg/Hamilton (each way) at 34, Ladbrokes. Canada's a collection of straight lines and slow corners. Engines should matter most. Even though I think others stand a good chance his odds are just too long. When both have finished races, he's 2-2 with Hulkenberg.

Ferrari are bringing upgrades, but if recent history is a guide they should make the car slower. 50/50 chance of Vettel's car failing. Red Bull may well be hampered by the premium on straight line speed. Williams have great potential but have largely squandered their best opportunities this year and underperformed a bit in the races.

If we assume a Mercedes 1-2 (not the most heroic of assumptions) then Perez being top 5 must be something like 4, not 7.5, and there's an off-chance he might nab the podium (one of his Sauber podium places was in Canada).
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I like Mr. Me's idea of higher duty for off sales and a restriction on supermarket prices and I am in full agreement of going back to the old two session licensing hours, even if they did produce some strange anomalies.

However, the real problem with pubs at the moment is the prices they charge. I have no beef with the landlords here, they are struggling to make a living but the prices in pubs has now reached the point where they are getting beyond the ordinary bloke. A pint of Guinness in an ordinary pub in Brighton the other week was £4.80. A sandwich in my local village pub is £6.85 and a pint of Harvey's Best £3.80. When my boy and I stopped off at a rural pub the other week two pints each and two slices of cheese on toast came to just under thirty quid. These are crazy prices and until they are addressed more and more pubs will close.

Pubs can only charge relative to the cost to them wholesale.
    Step forward the PubCos.......
  • Options
    Iain Duncan Smith MP ‏@IDS_MP 2h

I have been in contact with the PM regarding the @GreenpeaceUK protest near his home.

pic.twitter.com/2aQGxQnwv5
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Having a friend in the Grenadier Guards, I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who attends her Majesty, the protocol alone is enough to make anyone feint.
    Indeed. I understand HM is always personally concerned to put people at their ease if they feel they've made a mistake. I'm sure the kid will be really upset so I hope he gets put at his ease. I'd hate to be that close to the ceremonial I'd go to bits, I get very nervous in crowded rooms at the best of times.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Indeed. I understand HM is always personally concerned to put people at their ease if they feel they've made a mistake. I'm sure the kid will be really upset so I hope he gets put at his ease. I'd hate to be that close to the ceremonial I'd go to bits, I get very nervous in crowded rooms at the best of times.
    Just imagine doing all that wearing a Bearskin headgear during the summer.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Pubs can only charge relative to the cost to them wholesale.
    Step forward the PubCos.......
    I quite agree, Mr. Woolie. As I said I have no beef with the landlords and in my first post on this subject this morning I explicitly mentioned Punch Taverns as an example of the greedy grasping PubCos that came about because some Conservative idiot, who probably never went to a pub more than once a year and who didn't understand the trade, thought he could alter the market for the good of consumers.

The fact remains that drinkers are being priced out of pubs.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The Queens Speech: should make a film of it.
This discussion has been closed.