Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Christine Lagarde is 4-1 to be next President of the Europe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited June 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Christine Lagarde is 4-1 to be next President of the European Commission

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has asked France whether it would be willing to put forward International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde as president of the European Commission, two French sources briefed on the exchanges said.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    Stick it up your Juncker!

:)
  • Options
    Lagarde to the EU, El Gordo to the IMF. Job done.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    You didn't fancy moving to Golspie then?

Stick it up your Juncker!

:)

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    FPT
    JackW said:

Re-posted from this morning for the benefit of those who have a life !!

The "JackW Dozen" with the 2010 winner, majority and second placed party are :

Croydon Central - Con - 2,879 - Lab

Croydon Central in 2010 had a majority of 2,969, not 2,879. This is because Gavin Barwell had 19,657 votes, not 19,567. I am aware that some sources state that he got 19,567 votes, but they do so incorrectly.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Terrible bet.
    1) She may not want the job, which is only powerful if you get elected to it.
    2) Hollande probably wouldn't nominate her.
    3) The report is vague but it's probably from before Merkel u-turned on Juncker. If she u-turns again she'll look ridiculous.
    4) The member states can name who they like, if it isn't Juncker the parliament will tell them to piss off.

The member states generally take the path of least resistance, which in this case is to pick Juncker and give Cameron a lollipop or something.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Lagarde! Juncker! Verhofstadt! Rompuy! Helmer! Purple! Purple! Purple! Death! Death! UKIP! UKIP! Doom! We crawl on our knees towards our doom... Do you hear? The Moon taps at the window, full of woe... Purple! Purple! We try to hide, but it claims us in the end... Great big purple face... you're in my telescope... Purple! With the sky in the sea! All purple, like the procession of night that leads us into the Valley of Despair... Where are we sleeping tonight, Mother? In Father's grave? Purple! Purple! Purple! Like the endless darkness of space that leads to the Chasm of Clams... My eyes are pies, and yours are lies! Oh yes, what shall we do with Father, Mother? Roll him like a ticket and poke him in a hole... They're here! They've landed on the pier! They tap at my window... Purple! Purple! Purple! Burn! Burn! Burn! Purple in the mouth... like Inky the Octopus that comes lolloping along... Mr Purple hits his hammer! Hit! Hit! Hit! How far in the trunk, Mummy? How far in the trunk? Purple! Glenda knows, Glenda knows! Equestrian cement! Equestrian cement! Underarm.. great big face... The Purple Centipede of Terror will grab us like bats from the roof of the Cave of Doom and inject us with venom if Roger Helmer wins Newark or if Jean-Claude Juncker becomes President... The Purple Gunge of Oblivion will burn like acid into our nostrils & hurtle us rampantly into the fetid swamp of despair if Roger Helmer becomes President of the European Commission... The Purple Hippopotamus of Destiny will send us swirling into the Whirlpool of Oblivion as the Maggots of Doom bite our elbows if Christine Lagarde becomes President! Purple! Purple! Purple! Death! UKIP! Disaster! Death!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,763
    Much as the govt would like Lagarde, doubt it's going to happen as I) Hollande won't put her forward and II) Lagarde wants Hollande's job......

Off topic, another independent body has checked the SNP's sums and found them wanting;

IFS: Alex Salmond's independence 'giveaways' mean deeper tax rises or spending cuts
    The Institute for Fiscal Studies calculates that the savings highlighted in the Scottish Government's White Paper would not nearly cover the cost of all the spending pledges.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10873635/IFS-Alex-Salmonds-independence-giveaways-mean-deeper-tax-rises-or-spending-cuts.html
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JohnLoony said:

FPT

JackW said:

Re-posted from this morning for the benefit of those who have a life !!

The "JackW Dozen" with the 2010 winner, majority and second placed party are :

Croydon Central - Con - 2,879 - Lab

Croydon Central in 2010 had a majority of 2,969, not 2,879. This is because Gavin Barwell had 19,657 votes, not 19,567. I am aware that some sources state that he got 19,567 votes, but they do so incorrectly.
    Thank you.

• Options
    Loony at 6:08 - LOL! A shame we no longer have the Like button.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Theresa May (generally 4/1 for next Conservative leader) in friendly disagreement/public row with pb pin-up Michael Gove (10/1) over Operation Trojan Horse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27691901

Biased Al-Beeb sides with May and classifies it as an education story.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    I think the biggest problem with this is that President of the Commission would be a demotion for Lagarde as it is a position with no real power. I really can't see her wanting it.

OTOH I can't see the Member States putting forward a candidate that one of the big players such as the UK did not approve of. The job of the President is to work with the Member States, find a consensus and help to turn that consensus into words. Trying to do that when one of the larger Member States was hostile would be problematic.

I think a centre right compromise candidate will be found and all this story amounts to is evidence that Merkel is looking for one.
  • Options
    "After much umming and ahhing"

I'm a posh ditherer - I hum and haw.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    I'm not certain that:-
    a) Lagarde would want the job in preference to i) her present job and ii) any intention she might have towards Hollande's job.
    b) Hollande would nominate her unless i) he sees advantages having a French commissioner ii) he wants to nobble Lagarde in respect of a)ii.
    c) The European Parliament would approve her if they thought they could still get Juncker.

That said I don't expect Juncker to get it too easily, as the treaty language says "take account of" not "be dictated by" the results of the European elections. If it was the nomination of Parliament and approval by the Council he'd probably have an easier ride but it's not. The nomination from the council is done by QMV under Lisbon treaty rules so a blocking minority can be constructed, and interestingly, as far as I'm aware, if any anti-Junckerite believes that a blocking minority under Nice rules is easier to achieve they can request a reversion to those rules.

Juncker may well prevail but I doubt quickly or easily.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Theresa May (generally 4/1 for next Conservative leader) in friendly disagreement/public row with pb pin-up Michael Gove (10/1) over Operation Trojan Horse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27691901

Biased Al-Beeb sides with May and classifies it as an education story.

You mean the same "Biased Al-Beeb" that's been doing everything possible in recent weeks to promote UKIP?
  • Options
    Brilliant Mr Loony!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

OTOH I can't see the Member States putting forward a candidate that one of the big players such as the UK did not approve of.

I don't think the Parliament would like the principle established that a Member State can veto the candidate supported by the largest party in Parliament. From a democratic point of view - and ignoring the inconvenient fact that most Europeans have no idea who Juncker is - that would be a retrograde step.

Now the EPP do not have a majority in the European Parliament, so perhaps the clever thing for the Member States to do would be to give a nod to the other parties in the Parliament that they will be involved in the search for a compromise candidate, and propose Juncker so that the non-EPP majority in Parliament can vote him down.

Then they can try and complete the tricky task of finding a compromise candidate without having provoked a conflict with the European Parliament.

You could argue that Cameron has made this more difficult with his grandstanding, or that his insistence on not accepting Juncker is the only thing that makes it possible. From the outside it is pretty hard to tell.
  • Options
    One thing's for sure now - if Juncker does get it then the UK, NL, Finland, Hungary, and all the other 'antis' are going to be very pissed off. That in itself makes Juncker a problem. I suspect resolution will take time and some mutually tolerable nobody will get the nod, much as Rumpy Pumpy himself did once.
  • Options

DavidL said:

OTOH I can't see the Member States putting forward a candidate that one of the big players such as the UK did not approve of.

I don't think the Parliament would like the principle established that a Member State can veto the candidate supported by the largest party in Parliament. From a democratic point of view - and ignoring the inconvenient fact that most Europeans have no idea who Juncker is - that would be a retrograde step.

Now the EPP do not have a majority in the European Parliament, so perhaps the clever thing for the Member States to do would be to give a nod to the other parties in the Parliament that they will be involved in the search for a compromise candidate, and propose Juncker so that the non-EPP majority in Parliament can vote him down.

Then they can try and complete the tricky task of finding a compromise candidate without having provoked a conflict with the European Parliament.

You could argue that Cameron has made this more difficult with his grandstanding, or that his insistence on not accepting Juncker is the only thing that makes it possible. From the outside it is pretty hard to tell.

I don't think the Member States (at least the big ones that count, small countries like Scotland would be are simply ignored) will be willing to accept a position where the Commission becomes the plaything of the Parliament.

The Treaty is ambiguous and it is clear that the views of Parliament have to be taken into account (if they can ever be ascertained) but that is a different thing from accepting the nomination of the largest grouping as the President. That would be a significant loss of power by the Member States which is, I suspect, Cameron's concern rather than which non-entity is actually appointed.

I suspect the Germans in particular might ultimately agree with Cameron on this and want an EPP candidate that is not the leader of the largest grouping in Parliament who the Member States can coalesce behind. If they do the Parliament will eventually lose out but this will not happen if the Member States have different views.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Patrick said:

One thing's for sure now - if Juncker does get it then the UK, NL, Finland, Hungary, and all the other 'antis' are going to be very pissed off. That in itself makes Juncker a problem. I suspect resolution will take time and some mutually tolerable nobody will get the nod, much as Rumpy Pumpy himself did once.

Does anyone care ? Journos are scrabbling around for a fight. Labour have conceded on the economy, Eck has blown it, the LDs have made up over a beer - desperate times for journos looking to make their readers stifle a yawn.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Just going on Radio Wales to talk about Newark.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    It is a bit like the Sec-Gen of the UN, because it is a compromise candidate, then a nonentity/yes-man/woman gets elected who is not up to the job and and not what the position needs at that time.

The EU is in desperate need of reform, as all institutions do from time to time, and a compromise candidate is unlikely to drive that needed reform forward.
  • Options
    @OblitusSumMe‌
    Trouble is I believe the Parliament approval works on simple majority basis or 376 votes. The EPP + PES blocks have 403 and I think the PES will be looking at the precedent rather than the partisan politics. I think they'd vote Juncker to establish Parliament as the effective nominee and then hope sooner or later they get the most seats etc. I think that's the calculation of heads of govt hence they see the nomination process as the only place to spike Juncker.
  • Options
    Financier said:

It is a bit like the Sec-Gen of the UN, because it is a compromise candidate, then a nonentity/yes-man/woman gets elected who is not up to the job and and not what the position needs at that time.

The EU is in desperate need of reform, as all institutions do from time to time, and a compromise candidate is unlikely to drive that needed reform forward.

The days when the Commission itself was a significant source of power such as under the Delors Presidency are now long gone. The Council of Ministers has developed its own Civil Service doing much of the work that the Commission would once have done and the large Member States do not encourage initiatives from the Commission anymore.

It is an anachronism from the old EU and given its very obviously non democratic nature a bit of an embarrassment these days. A significant figure like Lagarde might be able to change that to some extent but probably not by much.

• Options
    OT

A Shy UKIP Vote?

A shy Tory vote is often noted in these hallowed pages, but it may be that a possible shy-UKIP vote has appeared.

Since the EU elections, the Cons-UKIP 2010 defections have risen noticeably. Just prior to the EU elections this was running in the 11-16 (ave: 14.2) range but since the EU it is running in the 17-23 range (ave 19.2). Will this trend continue after Newark? Or does success breed and encourage success?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    What lollipop could Cameron get if Juncker became president? An important commissioner role, an agreement to transfer competencies back to the UK/member states?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I don't think the Member States (at least the big ones that count, small countries like Scotland would be are simply ignored) will be willing to accept a position where the Commission becomes the plaything of the Parliament.

Right, but my recollection is that the Parliament and the Member States have previous on this, with the Parliament "winning" an earlier tussle on this, and so they will not simply rubberstamp a compromise candidate foisted on them by the Member States. That would involve them conceding that the Commission is simply the plaything of the Member States, which they have resisted in the past.

The Member States thus have to avoid the scenario where Juncker is seen by the Parliament as a defender of their rights and privileges. In that case he could win the support of the PES and ALDE and command an overall majority in Parliament.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Financier said:

The days when the Commission itself was a significant source of power such as under the Delors Presidency are now long gone. The Council of Ministers has developed its own Civil Service doing much of the work that the Commission would once have done and the large Member States do not encourage initiatives from the Commission anymore.

It is an anachronism from the old EU and given its very obviously non democratic nature a bit of an embarrassment these days. A significant figure like Lagarde might be able to change that to some extent but probably not by much.

Both the Presidency of the European Council (Rompuy) and that of the Commission (Barroso) are up this year. Why not get rid of one and make the other effective - like Strasbourg and Brussels.

Indeed when the EU asks for more money - get rid of Strasbourg should be the answer.
  • Options
    @Financier‌
    Whilst I agree the moving of EuroParl to Strasbourg and back just to stroke the Gallic ego is a vast waste of money the fact is that the French will never surrender that burnishment to their pride.
  • Options
    antifrank1antifrank1 Posts: 81
    edited June 2014
    This market is a bookie's paradise. It's quite likely that the winning name is not yet listed. If Betfair were ever to open a market on this, lay the favourite.
  • Options
    O/t the Queen has a new coach to ride to open Parliament today. I must say it looks beautiful and lovingly made. Also the fact there are little pieces of history as part of the fabric of the coach is exquisite.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2647757/The-Queens-new-palace-wheels-Wood-Newtons-apple-tree-A-bullet-Waterloo-Metal-Dambuster-Unveiled-today-carriage-thats-mobile-museum-history.html
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@Financier‌
    Whilst I agree the moving of EuroParl to Strasbourg and back just to stroke the Gallic ego is a vast waste of money the fact is that the French will never surrender that burnishment to their pride.

Perhaps suggest it to Marine le Pen
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    How many EU voters can name Lagarde ? When will the corruption investigations start again or are they on going ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Pissing it down once again.

In vaguely cultural news, it sounds like it's possible that A Song of Ice and Fire will stretch to 8 books. Much as I like them, I hope not.

So, is the process thus?:
    Member states nominate a chap or lady
    EU Parliament says aye or nay
    If 'nay', the member states nominate someone else
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2014
    À Propos of absolutely nothing at all, here's 90 seconds of footy fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T7zyezBkuY
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

What lollipop could Cameron get if Juncker became president? An important commissioner role, an agreement to transfer competencies back to the UK/member states?

I believe the lollipop would be an actual lollipop.

Like this one. Except, obviously, not as big.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer that's probably the theory. The practice is almost certainly more Byzantine and opaque.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim said:

Mr Dancer that's probably the theory. The practice is almost certainly more Byzantine and opaque.

Is that referring to the plot in a Song of Ice and Fire?
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, cheers.

Poor Byzantium. I bet Basil II would make a better leader than any of those mentioned thus far.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932
    edited June 2014
    Just checked the Yougov internals... Overweight on 2010 Labour voters, still dire for the Lib Dems. Not great for Conservatives.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I see that the European Securities and Markets Authority has censured S&P for what they said about France.

The budget for ESMA has gone from Euro 5M and 25 staff in 2011 to Euro 33M and 184 staff this year. Inflation?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Road Trip 2015 ‏@RoadTrip2015 36s
    Our #RoadTrip2015 journey so far: Cannock Chase (50 ppl) ➝ Harlow (75) ➝ Chester & Cheadle (80) ➝ Enfield North (130) ➝ Newark (300).

Times News ‏@TimesNewsdesk
    Sex and vindaloo lures young Tory army to Newark http://thetim.es/1kuUErN

Just saying…!
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, nothing wrong with a hot and spicy night of fun, although you may regret it in the morning.
  • Options

Mr. Jim, cheers.

Poor Byzantium. I bet Basil II would make a better leader than any of those mentioned thus far.

Mr Dancer, Basil Fawltey would probably be better than any thus far mentioned.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@Financier‌

There are lots of things that the French will never accept in the EU - putting an end to the farce of the Strasbourg Parliament, reform of the CAP, etc. Like the UK they are simply one country in the EU, so it seems bizarre to me that the UK has failed so wretchedly to gain support from other member states for such sensible reforms.

Worth noting that if the European Parliament itself was allowed to decide where it met the Strasbourg Parliament would be shut before the end of the week.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I see that the European Securities and Markets Authority has censured S&P for what they said about France.

The budget for ESMA has gone from Euro 5M and 25 staff in 2011 to Euro 33M and 184 staff this year. Inflation?

Average staff cost has declined by 10% - effect of immigrants accepting lower pay?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@OblitusSumMe‌
    Trouble is I believe the Parliament approval works on simple majority basis or 376 votes. The EPP + PES blocks have 403 and I think the PES will be looking at the precedent rather than the partisan politics. I think they'd vote Juncker to establish Parliament as the effective nominee and then hope sooner or later they get the most seats etc. I think that's the calculation of heads of govt hence they see the nomination process as the only place to spike Juncker.

Yes, but that illustrates the problem the heads of govt need to avoid. The EPP and PES have enough votes between them to reject any candidate the heads of govt put forward that is not Juncker.

Thus the first challenge for the heads of govt is to ensure that Juncker does not have majority support in the Parliament, so that it is Parliament that rejects him, and so the issue of the Presidency does not become a power struggle between the heads of govt and the Parliament.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Mr. StClare, nothing wrong with a hot and spicy night of fun, although you may regret it in the morning.

Non, je ne regrette rien, as Ms Piaf once said. ; )
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Actually the censure is for accidentally pressing the wrong button in S&P systems which triggered a downgrade warning on France when none was being made. Of course ESMA is the European answer to the old question qui custodiet ipsos custodes as it's function is in essence to rate the ratings agencies.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    What would the ideal Commission President candidate look like this time?

1) Unarguably pro-European.
    2) But a credible reformer.
    3) Speaks French.
    4) Speaks English.
    5) Able to get on with Angela Merkel.
    6) Not obnoxious to the European Parliament.
    7) Not obviously Britain's candidate.
    8) Not from one of the original six member states (Italy or the Netherlands might not be dealbreakers).

I'd suggest this man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Bildt

But he doesn't speak French well, I understand.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

@OblitusSumMe‌

Yes, but that illustrates the problem the heads of govt need to avoid. The EPP and PES have enough votes between them to reject any candidate the heads of govt put forward that is not Juncker.

Thus the first challenge for the heads of govt is to ensure that Juncker does not have majority support in the Parliament, so that it is Parliament that rejects him, and so the issue of the Presidency does not become a power struggle between the heads of govt and the Parliament.

Personally a power struggle is fine, I'd let Barosso retire home, fail to appoint a successor and then watch as Armageddon fails to happen thus proving the superfluity of at least one EU institution.
  • Options

This market is a bookie's paradise. It's quite likely that the winning name is not yet listed. If Betfair were ever to open a market on this, lay the favourite.

Yes, it's second only to what might the Chancellor say in his Budget speech in terms of being a licence to hand money to the bookies!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

Actually the censure is for accidentally pressing the wrong button in S&P systems which triggered a downgrade warning on France when none was being made. Of course ESMA is the European answer to the old question qui custodiet ipsos custodes as it's function is in essence to rate the ratings agencies.
    I wonder how this slap on the wrist will go down in France, with BNP Paribas facing a $10 billion fine in New York?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27676000
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

I wonder how this slap on the wrist will go down in France, with BNP Paribas facing a $10 billion fine in New York?

If you don't want a fine for sanctions busting, don't bust sanctions. I actually quite like the US regulators as they do seem to take the view of handing out savage punishments for miscreants pour encourager les autres
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, do they fine their own institutions as much as foreign ones?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Do we know who will be the Queen's Speech "Hostage MP" ?

I'd opt for Peter Bone on the basis that Buckingham Palace is big enough to lose him until past the general election.

Sadly it's normally a government whip which rules out Bone .... unless of course he get's an unexpected promotion this morning ....

Hhmmm ....
  • Options

Yes generally. JPMorgan, Citigroup and Wells Fargo have been subject to multi-billion dollar fines as has Bank of America for various abuses. But remember the FCA recently handed out its biggest ever fine for regulatory breaches to a foreign institution. I think the difference is we fine a few hundred million at a time, the US fines are just generally bigger and more existentially challenging to errant institutions.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Mr_Eugenides: No legislation? Best Queen’s Speech ever. They should devote 5th year of every Parl't to repealing all the useless shit from the previous 4.

@charlotteahenry: Labour’s approach to the Queen’s Speech is very revealing http://t.co/vtgmiJ1VT5
  • Options

JP Morgan was fined $13bn late last year. Citibank and others have faced serious fines.

BNP is a slightly curious case, as (if I understand it correctly) it is not the US operations of BNP that are accused of breaking the sanctions, but the French ones. Therefore the US may be acting in an extra-territorial way in attempting to fine a French company for something it did in France.
  • Options
    That means they should have no customers whatsoever by early next year...
  • Options
    JackW said:

I'd opt for Peter Bone on the basis that Buckingham Palace is big enough to lose him until past the general election.

Sadly it's normally a government whip which rules out Bone .... unless of course he get's an unexpected promotion this morning ....

Hhmmm ....

I like your sentiment especially as if he gets promoted and unfortunately returned from the Palace the PM. Can take exquisite pleasure in sacking him.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Except (per the body of the story itself) it's an estimated one million shopping visits per week. Not necessarily the same thing :).

• Options
    Mr. Jim, Mr. 1000, thanks.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JP Morgan was fined $13bn late last year. Citibank and others have faced serious fines.

BNP is a slightly curious case, as (if I understand it correctly) it is not the US operations of BNP that are accused of breaking the sanctions, but the French ones. Therefore the US may be acting in an extra-territorial way in attempting to fine a French company for something it did in France.
    Not the first time the US has tried such a trick, I hope it's not the case though as I don't want to be put in the position of having to sympathise with the French.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,346
    My specialist subject, sort of, because I lobby the EU a lot in my day job. To summarise, as some are the posts on the thread aren't quite right:
    - The council proposes by QMV, Parliament votes yea or nay. If nay, the Council tries again, etc.
    -The Commission remains the only body that drafts legislation so is still very important within the EU context. It's not correct that its role has been partly usurpsed by Heads of State civil service - for those of us lobbying the EU on policy drafting, the Commission is the only game in town. Its weakness is that it only takes initiatives if the Council or Parliament or a Citizen's initiative (the million-signature thing) asks them to.
    - Not only the EPP and S&D groups but also the far-left (45 MEPs) are likely to support Juncker, and I'd guess ALDE too. He has a huge paper majority and the first non-Juncker nominee will get bounced. However, the EU tradition of compromise is strong and after a prolonged deadlock people would start to look for alternatives. Antifrank's Bildt is plausible - a Swedish pro-European dry Conservative.
    - The anti-Juncker front will decay over time. The Finnish leader is standing down, the Swedish leader will almost certainly lose the autumn election.
    What people looking for compromise need is a centre-right person who is moderately pro-integration and ideally endorsed by Juncker, but not so heavyweight that they scare the Council. My guess is it needs a period of deadlock and "crisis" before anyone else gets seriously considered. The underlying issue is not really objections to Juncker (who wouldn't be able to do that much as the Commission doesn't initiate legislation) but the question of Parliament vs Council dominance in choosing who runs the third leg of the triangle, with both sides reluctant to concede. That is actually quite an important pointer to the future evolution of the EU, comparable to, say, the Lords conceding the Parliamenr Act.
  • Options
    WelshBertieWelshBertie Posts: 124

Largarde to the EU, Darling to the IMF. Brown should not be allowed near any financial institution ever again.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

The French never pay any fines on principle - especially those imposed by the EU and Institutions that outside of France's jurisdiction.
  • Options
    Can any of the government's supporters explain why a "Modern Slavery Bill" is the centrepiece of the Speech from the Throne, and how it is anything other than a concession to the loudest lobby groups? Is anyone seriously suggesting that only "antique slavery", whatever that may be, is currently unlawful? This sort of legislative gimmickry is entirely typical of the Blair/Brown/Cameron approach to politics.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

JackW said:

Hhmmm ....

I like your sentiment especially as if he gets promoted and unfortunately returned from the Palace the PM. Can take exquisite pleasure in sacking him.
    ToryJim said:

JackW said:

Hhmmm ....

Have him back ?? .... have him back !!

Are you mad ....

No he gets to wander the cellars of Buckingham Palace for eternity wailing as EU dignitaries and flunkies meet the Queen upstairs.

Delicious.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2014
    These higher-ups and so called elites of the EU are the biggest gallery of UGLIES ever seen since the inner circle of Hitlers cabinet. I'm not saying that they are as evil as that lot, but just look at their photos and imagine them with absolute autocratic power............oh,er.......Help !!!!
  • Options
    Mr. K, can't judge a book by its cover. Socrates was famous for his ugliness.
  • Options
    On the subject of physical appearance, if Roger Helmer was replaced with the Reverend Flowers for the count at the by-election tomorrow night, would anyone notice?

It would certainly liven up UKIP MEP gatherings, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, any ETA for the result?

By-elections always remind me of Dunny-on-the-Wold. I wonder who the Standing At The Back Dressed Stupidly And Looking Stupid Party candidate will be.
  • Options

By-elections always remind me of Dunny-on-the-Wold. I wonder who the Standing At The Back Dressed Stupidly And Looking Stupid Party candidate will be.

This time I think that candidate comes wearing a Lib Dem rosette.
  • Options
    Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

The French never pay any fines on principle - especially those imposed by the EU and Institutions that outside of France's jurisdiction.
    BNP has no choice, unless a compromise is reached with the French government.

BNP cannot continue to be a major international financial organisation if it has no US operation.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer the SATBDSALSP candidate was dressed in purple and yellow with a purple and yellow rosette. I think the conclusion is obvious ;)
  • Options

The TSE Having A Party Party

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    rcs1000 said:

That means they should have no customers whatsoever by early next year...
    Depends how many people in the country :)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Mr Dancer the SATBDSALSP candidate was dressed in purple and yellow with a purple and yellow rosette. I think the conclusion is obvious ;)

Chortle ....

• Options

I hope that Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel is standing as well
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2014

Largarde to the EU, Darling to the IMF. Brown should not be allowed near any financial institution ever again.

Indeed I suspect even our own institutions are concerned about El Gordo's own private dealings.. what with the Curse of Gordo and all that.

Never allow Gordon Brown to touch anything to do with money, EVER AGAIN
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

Mr. K, can't judge a book by its cover. Socrates was famous for his ugliness.

That's no way to talk about a fellow PBer.
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, I hope not. Tarquin is a silly name.
  • Options
    The only thing that could be better for UKIP than Juncker getting the role is Tony Blair.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

BNP cannot continue to be a major international financial organisation if it has no US operation.
    I'm actually quite a fan of US financial rules.

Play hard, play fast, play to within an inch of the rules.

But do not ever break our rules or you WILL end up in jail and we will hammer you financially.

Contrasts with the UK's somewhat limp wristed approach at times.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    Vincenzo Scarpetta ‏@LondonerVince · 11 mins
    Via @straneuropa: Rumours that #Juncker is about to pull out of EC President race. Big if true. Official confirmation needed. #EP2014

• Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, maybe King Juan will put himself forward.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Mr_Eugenides: No legislation? Best Queen’s Speech ever. They should devote 5th year of every Parl't to repealing all the useless shit from the previous 4.

@charlotteahenry: Labour’s approach to the Queen’s Speech is very revealing http://t.co/vtgmiJ1VT5

As Brogan observes:

a government that gets out of the way and spends less time passing laws is a feature, not a bug, of Conservative rule.

More time for Select Committees to get on with stuff......
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Can any of the government's supporters explain why a "Modern Slavery Bill" is the centrepiece of the Speech from the Throne, and how it is anything other than a concession to the loudest lobby groups? Is anyone seriously suggesting that only "antique slavery", whatever that may be, is currently unlawful? This sort of legislative gimmickry is entirely typical of the Blair/Brown/Cameron approach to politics.

Its provisions seem sensible, and substantive rather than gestural, and Frank Field has had a large hand in it - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27684245
    "Modern" is presumably to indicate precisely that it isn't a lot of hand-waving about the wrongs done by/to our ancestors.
  • Options

Via @straneuropa: Rumours that #Juncker is about to pull out of EC President race. Big if true. Official confirmation needed. #EP2014

It wouldn't be that surprising. He supposedly didn't really want this job in the first place. It's easier to find one man a consolation prize than to find an entire country a consolation prize.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,346

Certainly is. It would imply that he's done a deal and will support someone else in return for ???. Interesting.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm actually quite a fan of US financial rules.

Play hard, play fast, play to within an inch of the rules.

But do not ever break our rules or you WILL end up in jail and we will hammer you financially.

Contrasts with the UK's somewhat limp wristed approach at times.
    Unless you are an American bank.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

My specialist subject, sort of, because I lobby the EU a lot in my day job. To summarise, as some are the posts on the thread aren't quite right:
    - The council proposes by QMV, Parliament votes yea or nay. If nay, the Council tries again, etc.
    -The Commission remains the only body that drafts legislation so is still very important within the EU context. It's not correct that its role has been partly usurpsed by Heads of State civil service - for those of us lobbying the EU on policy drafting, the Commission is the only game in town. Its weakness is that it only takes initiatives if the Council or Parliament or a Citizen's initiative (the million-signature thing) asks them to.
    - Not only the EPP and S&D groups but also the far-left (45 MEPs) are likely to support Juncker, and I'd guess ALDE too. He has a huge paper majority and the first non-Juncker nominee will get bounced. However, the EU tradition of compromise is strong and after a prolonged deadlock people would start to look for alternatives. Antifrank's Bildt is plausible - a Swedish pro-European dry Conservative.
    - The anti-Juncker front will decay over time. The Finnish leader is standing down, the Swedish leader will almost certainly lose the autumn election.
    What people looking for compromise need is a centre-right person who is moderately pro-integration and ideally endorsed by Juncker, but not so heavyweight that they scare the Council. My guess is it needs a period of deadlock and "crisis" before anyone else gets seriously considered. The underlying issue is not really objections to Juncker (who wouldn't be able to do that much as the Commission doesn't initiate legislation) but the question of Parliament vs Council dominance in choosing who runs the third leg of the triangle, with both sides reluctant to concede. That is actually quite an important pointer to the future evolution of the EU, comparable to, say, the Lords conceding the Parliamenr Act.

It was interesting on newsnight that Jacob Rees-Mogg was claiming that the Council of Ministers was more democratic than the Parliament as it represented member states.

From memory this is similar to the Delors/Thatcher arguments of No, No, No! fame.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,805

Indeed I suspect even our own institutions are concerned about El Gordo's own private dealings.. what with the Curse of Gordo and all that.

Hm! He's lecturing his fellow Scots (or, as he might put it at least when talking to US radio stations, North Britons) on precisely that at the moment ...

• Options
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

If you don't want a fine for sanctions busting, don't bust sanctions. I actually quite like the US regulators as they do seem to take the view of handing out savage punishments for miscreants pour encourager les autres
    Even if it happens outside the US and within French jurisdiction. The US should be told to F*** OFF.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Certainly is. It would imply that he's done a deal and will support someone else in return for ???. Interesting.

But it would be a victory for Cam. Rejoice! Just rejoice at that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    The establishment trying to be all things to all people and punters looking elsewhere you say?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    surbiton said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

Even if it happens outside the US and within French jurisdiction. The US should be told to F*** OFF.
    Wise words, in any circumstance.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Hm! He's lecturing his fellow Scots (or, as he might put it at least when talking to US radio stations, North Britons) on precisely that at the moment ...

Gordon turned the tide in Scotland with his speech !
This discussion has been closed.