Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why People Voted UKIP

13»

Comments

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

"This poll leaves me with the impression, that any party that tries to “OutUKIP” UKIP will fail in winning back those who voted UKIP in the European elections because I don’t think any party will be able to offer policies that will satisfy these voters."

How many houses like this are there in the UK?

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/update-men-from-dewsbury-and-heckmondwike-jailed-for-human-trafficking-1-6615353

Tens of thousands. They're the prime cause of unemployment and underemployment and not just in this country but throughout the EU.

No the prime cause of unemployment and underemployment is people choosing not to work and making any excuse not to.

If there was no welfare (not that I'm proposing that) you'd suddenly find a lot more people in work.
    Nope, that's the media and political class' big lie.

What actually happened - starting 30+ years ago but going exponential in the last 14 - was employers in certain areas buying up cheap houses and importing 12+ illegal workers to do the unskilled work: labourers, shops, restaurants etc. This is one of the things that drove other people out of those areas looking for work elsewhere.

It's the main reason behind the youth unemployment all over Europe as it's mainly the jobs teenagers used to do.
    Complete delusion!!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I see that the European Commission is obeying Conquest's Second Law.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    antifrank said:

They are sticklers for following rules and regulations.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

"This poll leaves me with the impression, that any party that tries to “OutUKIP” UKIP will fail in winning back those who voted UKIP in the European elections because I don’t think any party will be able to offer policies that will satisfy these voters."

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/update-men-from-dewsbury-and-heckmondwike-jailed-for-human-trafficking-1-6615353

Tens of thousands. They're the prime cause of unemployment and underemployment and not just in this country but throughout the EU.

No the prime cause of unemployment and underemployment is people choosing not to work and making any excuse not to.

If there was no welfare (not that I'm proposing that) you'd suddenly find a lot more people in work.

What actually happened - starting 30+ years ago but going exponential in the last 14 - was employers in certain areas buying up cheap houses and importing 12+ illegal workers to do the unskilled work: labourers, shops, restaurants etc. This is one of the things that drove other people out of those areas looking for work elsewhere.

It's the main reason behind the youth unemployment all over Europe as it's mainly the jobs teenagers used to do.
    Complete delusion!!
    Delusional? I am not so sure. Remember those cockle pickers that drowned in the North West a few years ago? Remember all the creatures that crawled out when that stone was lifted? No, well that's OK because none of our politicians do either.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    edited June 2014
    antifrank said:

Surely his third law applies to the Commission?
  • Options

antifrank said:

Damn, misremembered. You're quite right.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Can't we just end the farcical ritual that is the State Opening of Parliament and move UK democracy out of the 16th century at last?

Oh, and ma'am... be sensible and look to the example of Spain (and the Netherlands and Belgium) if you're considering your next step.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!
    100% true. The first one I came across was a building firm where the owner had three houses in a row he was renting out and had knocked out the separating walls in the attics and had a dozen or so labourers living up there and sending their wages home.

I know it's true. A sizable minority of other people know it's true but that's not the point. The point is the question.

How many houses like this are there?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,050
    Mr. M, are you John Bercow?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    BBC DP absolutely ripping out of the Lib Dem pub farce
  • Options

Mr. M, are you John Bercow?

That's a nasty, uncalled and unwarranted insult.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Remember those cockle pickers that drowned in the North West a few years ago? Remember all the creatures that crawled out when that stone was lifted? No, well that's OK because none of our politicians do either.

I dont think that's fair.

http://www.gla.gov.uk/
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited June 2014
    MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!
    100% true. The first one I came across was a building firm where the owner had three houses in a row he was renting out and had knocked out the separating walls in the attics and had a dozen or so labourers living up there and sending their wages home.

I know it's true. A sizable minority of other people know it's true but that's not the point. The point is the question.

One wonders, since you appear to be posting the same link, day after day. Are there any other examples?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Anorak said:

Charles said:

Anorak said:

antifrank said:

A counterpoint to the question of secession movements is the example of how East Germany came within the EU's remit. Simply merging with West Germany was sufficient. It seems to show that the formal legal entity is the primary legal consideration rather than whether the geographical territory covered is already under the auspices of the EU.

There is, of course, the entirely separate political debate where I would have thought in practice the Scots are on much stronger ground. They are fortunate that neither Italy nor Spain really like playing the bad cops in the EU.

Incidentally, the German example is not necessarily of academic interest only. Moldova has flirted with merging with Romania in the recent past. It may do so again in the near future, depending on what happens with Transnistria and Gagauzia.

Roldova or Momania?
    Bessarabia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessarabia

Sorry to ruin your joke with facts ;-)
    Your "fact" would stand for the union of Ukraine and Moldova, but not for the union of Romania and Moldova.

D- must try harder :)
    If you want to be picky...

Actually Romania is misnamed, as it was the result of the merger of Moldova and Wallachia. So the correct name for Moldova + Romania is actually Romania.
  • Options
    BBC Ticker - 'LATEST:Stephen Dorrell MP has announced that he is standing down as chairman of the commons health select committee with immediate effect'

• Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Damn, misremembered. You're quite right.
    As a right winger, his second law is his most accurate comment.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Remember those cockle pickers that drowned in the North West a few years ago? Remember all the creatures that crawled out when that stone was lifted? No, well that's OK because none of our politicians do either.

ooh, they've got a mission statement and everything!

Are they effective?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014
    Mr. Brooke has failed to pass on the good news

Markit's Construction PMI this morning. The robust growth continues with a reading of 60.0 completing a run of thirteen months of expansion. The rate of growth however abated with an index fall of 0.8 from April.

Residential construction continues to drive growth, with the Commercial Sector lower and Civil Engineering higher than last month. New business levels up with staffing levels also expanding for the twelfth month running.

Not many negatives in the report. Rates of growth are slowing but this is inevitable following a period of sustained growth. There are some indications of spare capacity becoming constrained with sub-contractor availability reducing and their charges increasing but this is offset by continued fall in input material prices.

Will construction sustain its current growth path through 2014-15? Industry confidence is high and increased investment is being reported, but there is likely to be some peaking and fall-back even if the drive to build new houses ensures the momentum continues.

St. George is continuing to lead the march of the builders.
  • Options

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

One wonders, since you appear to be posting the same link, day after day. Are there any other examples?
    There's tens of thousands but you can only use the little bits of truth that slip through the PC wall.

They'd be quite easy to spot too if the political class ever decided to do anything about it - apart from just asking people to ring in obviously. They'll be houses that didn't reply to the census but always has 12+ people's worth of rubbish in the front garden.

If a party like Ukip wanted a rock to turn over it's there.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges has just offered Sunder Katawala 100/1 on a Lab majority next year.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Can't we just end the farcical ritual that is the State Opening of Parliament and move UK democracy out of the 16th century at last?

Ben

Don't worry, we can afford the pageantry now.

The economy has recovered.

• Options
    Neil said:

You are right, Mr. Neil, I wasn't being entirely fair. HMG passed some laws and set up an agency then forgot about the problem. Of course, once a law had been passed nobody would disobey it would they? And now we have this law in place all the ganging problems and the massively over occupied housing and all the other issues that kicked off this debate have gone away. Really?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

• Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

Maybe they don't know it's there.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

UKIP are too busy looking for those 29 million Romanians and Bulgarians Farage said would come over.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

I can remember Aussies and Saffers stuffing themselves into cheap flats and houses across London to save money, whilst working here. How come it was OK for them?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

That's, er, courageous.

• Options

Complete delusion!!

Its very easy to pick a particular situation to prove a point, but your statement suggests that there are hundreds of employers buying up houses to import eastern Europeans to deprive the UK youth of work. Do you really think this is the case?

As an example I used on here recently, I went to a restaurant in Southampton the other day called the food factory. It was a massive place and they had about 25 staff working. As far as I could tell none of them were english. Are you suggesting that the owner of the restaurant has bought up a number of houses to employ foreign labour so that he can pay them the minimum wage and deprive the Southampton youth of a job. It remains a mystery to me why this restaurant like numerous others does not employ english people, but I think its much more likely that this is due to english not wanting/cant be bothered to do the work than your suggestion.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,958
    edited June 2014
    Surprising that David Cameron is only 16%. If you went by the comment section on the Telegraph you would think Dave was a cross between the Anti-Christ, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao all rolled into one! :^O
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

I can remember Aussies and Saffers stuffing themselves into cheap flats and houses across London to save money, whilst working here. How come it was OK for them?
    I know you like an argument, and Im not necessarily saying Mr Jones is right, but that comparison is absolutely ridiculous
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Is it open to all comers?
  • Options
    BenM said:

Oh, and ma'am... be sensible and look to the example of Spain (and the Netherlands and Belgium) if you're considering your next step.

I post on an American, movie based forum and the folks there LOVE the State Opening. There's always a thread about it on the Community forums.

• Options

I'm about to ask.
  • Options

I know you like an argument, and Im not necessarily saying Mr Jones is right, but that comparison is absolutely ridiculous

Why is it?
  • Options
    isam said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

Different people doing the same jobs that bone idle Brits couldn't be arsed to do, and cramming themselves into flats to save money. What's the difference?
  • Options
    There's a coincidence.

http://employersnewsblog.com/2014/05/19/tougher-penalties-to-combat-illegal-working/

"MEASURES introduced on Friday (May 16th) will double the maximum penalty for employers who employ illegal workers to £20,000 per employee."

Say minimum wage is £6/hour but an employer has a houseful on £1/hour (could be a lot less depending on where they're from) then that's a £5/hour saving so at 60 hours a week that's £300 per head or c. 15 grand a year per head.

Enough to massively undercut the competition, still make a good profit plus build a property empire at the same time.
  • Options
    A royal question: as and when we have a new king, should we have a coronation ceremony?

Most European monarchies now don't bother.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    antifrank said:

A royal question: as and when we have a new king, should we have a coronation ceremony?

Yes we should.

I like all this Pomp and Ceremony.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,050
    Mr. Antifrank: emphatically yes.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

UKIP are too busy looking for those 29 million Romanians and Bulgarians Farage said would come over.
    If you have to resort to that sort of outright lie then you know you have lost the argument Mr Eagles.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    antifrank said:

Of course, think how much the TV rights could be sold for. And there's an opportunity for a sequel, in fact several sequels.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

Because it happened on a far smaller scale.
  • Options
    Paging rugby fans.

Anyone else expecting England to get hammered like the Carthiginians at Zama this weekend.

Backing The All Blacks to win by 41-50 points at 10/1

http://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/internationals/new-zealand-v-england/winning-margin
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

The two most obvious reasons:

1) Low total numbers
    2) Reciprocity - countries on a similar economic level more or less balance out (i.e. Brits doing the same in Oz).

• Options
    antifrank said:

But not before there is a State Funeral for the deceased monarch.

There is no need to crown a Regent.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

If you have to resort to that sort of outright lie then you know you have lost the argument Mr Eagles.
    Did UKIP not issue a leaflet last year with that exact figure?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

Because it happened on a far smaller scale.
    Do you have a problem with the number of French living and working in the UK?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Technically, it is unnecessary, as the succession to the crown is determined by law. It is however customary, and will be a quite outstanding way to annoy the republican barbarians.
  • Options

If they want to find them the place to look is in the 12+ occupant houses.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/01/14/romanians-in-hard-times-on-benefits-street/

"Fourteen Romanian immigrants moved into James Turner Street and were crammed together in a four-bedroom house"

Point being this has been getting worse for years but because of PC media filtering of the news there was no point talking about it until enough people had seen it with their own eyes.

So well done "Benefits Street".
  • Options
    currystar said:

Why is it?

I remember Earls Court in the days of my youth. Couldn't move for Aussies, those wonderful people genetically designed for bar work, and dentistry, all living in some very crowded flats (there were some Kiwis as well but we don't mention them). The difference being that there was no gangmaster, no organised crime, no dodgy "loans" that had to be worked off, in short no organisation.
  • Options
    The problem with holding a coronation post Blair is what to do with the hereditary peers?

Should they be replaced with diversity co-ordinators in ermine gowns?
  • Options
    The King of Spain has abdicated.

Another Juan bites the dust.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2014
    Actually, I think I was wrong. The need for a coronation is implied by the Coronation Oath Act 1688, 1 William & Mary c. 6.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

"

Complete delusion!!

So why don't they?

That figure was the number who could come here if they wanted to without us being able to do anything, not a prediction of how many would

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161

The difference being that there was no gangmaster, no organised crime, no dodgy "loans" that had to be worked off, in short no organisation.

That sounds like another way of saying there was no government sporadically trying to stop them being there.

See also: Legal drugs = no drug cartels.
  • Options

Given that monarchs have historically had a spiritual role in their country, it's surprising that the Vatican have yet publicly to comment.

Or as they might put it in Spain, we've had Rey Dios silence.
  • Options
    isam said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

"

Complete delusion!!
    100% true.

So why don't they?

That figure was the number who could come here if they wanted to without us being able to do anything, not a prediction of how many would

As per the leaflets,

"Only UKIP is taking seriously this massive threat to our local housing, schools, health and council services"

Seems like they were expecting a massive threat.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    currystar said:

Why is it?

Because they werent groups of men working for less than minimum wage on the black market and cramming 12 people into 3 bed houses in crummy parts of the country, they were more likely to be graduates from wealthy parents sharing flats in quite nice parts of London, doing bar work for pocket money once they finished uni
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    BenM said:

Firstly there was no "UK democracy" in the 16th century to move from let alone a 16th century UK.

More importantly unlike most politicians when the Queen gave her solemn word she meant it. She will serve the nation until death.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    edited June 2014

How much is he prepared to take ?
  • Options
    edited June 2014

isam said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

"

Complete delusion!!
    100% true.

So why don't they?

As per the leaflets,

"Only UKIP is taking seriously this massive threat to our local housing, schools, health and council services"

It is a massive threat

But they never said 29m were coming which is what you said they did

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,740

Has it really taken you almost a day to come up with that...
  • Options

The difference being that there was no gangmaster, no organised crime, no dodgy "loans" that had to be worked off, in short no organisation.

That sounds like another way of saying there was no government sporadically trying to stop them being there.

There's also balance. If countries are roughly at the same economic level then young Anzacs working in UK bars is balanced by Brits working in Anzac bars.

Lots of my rellies did that for a few years when they were young.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Has it really taken you almost a day to come up with that...
    I was really busy yesterday.

First day back at work in over a week.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    I voted UKIP because if I were gay I would do Nigel Farage in a heartbeat!

Oh, sorry - wrong forum! :)

Seriously, I voted UKIP (in the Euros only), mostly for the second reason, UK should withdraw from Europe in principle. But - to reassure my PB Tory chums, I voted Blue in the Locals (though that sadly didn't stop Redbridge turning, er, Red, for the first time in its history).
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

"

Complete delusion!!
    100% true.

So why don't they?

As per the leaflets,

It is a massive threat

UKIP mentioned 29 million for the same reason that Tony Blair mentioned 45 minutes. The intention was that it should be taken at face value.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

currystar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

"

Complete delusion!!
    100% true.

So why don't they?

As per the leaflets,

It is a massive threat

They had the 29m figure above that bit of text.

It was a nasty, nasty dog whistle.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

You forget that their kinglets aren't Nathan's chosen.
  • Options

Seriously, I voted UKIP (in the Euros only), mostly for the second reason, UK should withdraw from Europe in principle. But - to reassure my PB Tory chums, I voted Blue in the Locals (though that sadly didn't stop Redbridge turning, er, Red, for the first time in its history).

Please tell us you're voting Tory in the general election next year?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    JackW said:

More importantly unlike most politicians when the Queen gave her solemn word she meant it. She will serve the nation until death.

Doomed to serve the Disneyfied daydreams of the forlock tuggers.

• Options

Wouldn't disagree, Mr. Tokyo. Why would any government want to stop a whole bunch of Aussie bar staff and dentists coming over here? They are good people, fun to be with (especially when they are on the razzle), take nothing give lots and then go home again.

As for the drugs thing, I have been saying for 20 years or more the problem is with the ban not the use and putting criminals in charge of a multi-billion dollar industry is a damn fool idea.
  • Options
    No-one knows how many houses there are like this

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/01/14/romanians-in-hard-times-on-benefits-street/

"Fourteen Romanian immigrants moved into James Turner Street and were crammed together in a four-bedroom house"

and therefore the official stats are meaningless.
  • Options

:O

Something you want to share Sunil?

• Options
    antifrank said:

The UK is not "most European monarchies. It is the monarchy that all others are gauged by. When the world talks of "the Queen" it is Queen Elizabeth II that is refered to.

The Coronation ceremony is also the formal state occasion whereby among other matters the new sovereign pledges their reign to the service of the nation.

And .... well .... I get to wear some historic clobber and shoes that TSE could only dream of !!

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @isam

Why is it?

Because they werent groups of men working for less than minimum wage on the black market and cramming 12 people into 3 bed houses in crummy parts of the country, they were more likely to be graduates from wealthy parents sharing flats in quite nice parts of London, doing bar work for pocket money once they finished uni

The Antipodeans in London didn't tend to be either pre or post university gap year travellers. Australian employers, in particular, had a tradition of offering employees a sabbatical year for (mainly) European travel to those who had completed seven years of work.

This meant many of the Earls Court crowd were in their mid to late twenties,or, if graduates, even into their early thirties.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    antifrank said:

UKIP mentioned 29 million for the same reason that Tony Blair mentioned 45 minutes. The intention was that it should be taken at face value.

A better example is that the reason was the same as the reason Clegg mentioned 3 million jobs.

Of course, Clegg plucking a misleading figure out of the air is proof of LibLabCon lying.

UKIP plucking a misleading (or downright untrue, in the case of the '26 million people in the EU wanting your job' poster) figure out of the air is proof of UKIP's honesty and plain-speaking, that they are not like other politicians.

It's hard to see this disconnect lasting for long. As with the Cleggasm: easy inflate, easy deflate.
  • Options
    BenM said:

JackW said:

Doomed to serve the Disneyfied daydreams of the forlock tuggers.

We know Ed and Labour have moved to the left but I wasn't aware your brand of soulless socialist republicanism was now so deep rooted in the main opposition party.

Oh wait .... it isn't - Ed and Co support the monarchy.

• Options
    po8crgpo8crg Posts: 23
    Would have been nice if they'd mentioned HS2, given that the anti-HS2 campaigners are all claiming the UKIP vote as a sign of support for their cause.
This discussion has been closed.