Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Page not found

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Page not found

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    First
    Twitter
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 24s
    Pls retweet that at 4pm on Monday not only will the Ashcroft National Poll be released but also a poll on the Newark by-election.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Lord A is the new Pb deity

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Costa living drops as issue?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited May 2014
    I remember that the last labour government in the UK set NHS targets for waiting lists etc, and pretty soon there were all sorts of non-waiting lists to make sure targets were met, although waiting times were still bad.

The Obama administration did the same thing for the Veterans Administration hospitals, with the same result. The VA Secretary resigned today.

Bureaucracies everywhere seem to be similar.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,949
    edited May 2014
    FPT

@SimonStClare

It's all over for UKIP if they dont win this? ; )

On this site I feel like Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke with OGH as the boss

I think its all over already!

Or Winston Smith in 1984

UKIP win=bad for them

2+2=5

It was Nigel , It was Nigel!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:
    Eh?

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 1m
    It's a long time since I've seen Tories so keen to win a by-election. Amazingly, Ukip don't seem that bothered; Lab + Lib Dems even more so
    ----------------------------------------
    He's probably not been near the UKIP HQ fearing he might be hit over the head again; this time with a hammer.

Incidentally I've learned that Nigel Farage will be in Newark tomorrow, followed by Diane James on Sunday and Patrick O'Flynn on Monday.
    -------
    I always seem to get caught by these sudden changes in the thread without a warning. :(
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Fantastic news about another poll in Newark. Well done Lord Ashcroft.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014
    OT It's at times like this I am glad I don't live in Scotland. According to the BBC, the Police Service of Scotland executed 640,699 stop and searches in the last year. That is 2.9 times as many per annum as the Metropolitan Police, and the Metropolitan Police District of course contains more people than Scotland. This is astonishingly authoritarian. It would imply that approximately 12% of the Scottish population are stopped and searched each year. That the Nationalist administration are not only unconcerned about these figures, but seem to think they represent good policing, demonstrates that any claim that the SNP are in favour of civil liberties is absurd.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

OT It's at times like this I am glad I don't live in Scotland. According to the BBC, the Police Service of Scotland executed 640,699 stop and searches in the last year. That is 2.9 times as many per annum as the Metropolitan Police, and the Metropolitan Police District of course contains more people than Scotland. This is astonishingly authoritarian. It would imply that approximately 12% of the Scottish population are stopped and searched each year. That the Nationalist administration are not only unconcerned about these figures, but seem to think they represent good policing, demonstrates that any claim that the SNP are in favour of civil liberties is absurd.

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17770342

Also this:

http://www.irvinetimes.com/news/roundup/articles/2013/08/09/467510-irvine-drivers-complaints-of-overzealous-policing/
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    dr_spyn said:
    Hmm, that is an interesting proclivity to say the least!!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:
    Eh?

It's a long time since I've seen Tories so keen to win a by-election. Amazingly, Ukip don't seem that bothered; Lab + Lib Dems even more so
    He's probably not been near the UKIP HQ fearing he might be hit over the head again; this time with a hammer.

Incidentally I've learned that Nigel Farage will be in Newark tomorrow, followed by Diane James on Sunday and Patrick O'Flynn on Monday.
    -------
    I always seem to get caught by these sudden changes in the thread without a warning. :(

If the Tories lose the by-election one reason might be because they annoyed voters with too many cabinet ministers and MPs visiting the seat.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Turnout in Newark & Sherwood for the Euro elections was 36.08%. Newark would usually have the higher turnout but it probably wouldn't have been more than 45%. Not sure whether the by-election would generate a higher turnout than the Euros:

http://www.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/vote/europeanparliamentaryelection2014/
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Do they still do the Facing you and your family one?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    AndyJS said:

Fantastic news about another poll in Newark. Well done Lord Ashcroft.

I think they'll be at least one Newark poll in the Sunday papers.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    These Newark polls are very bad news for Con.

The only thing they can do is lead to tactical voting - which will harm Con. Con is very lucky that the Survation poll had UKIP and Lab almost tied - but the chances are that won't happen in the next polls.

If we get something like Con 36, UKIP 30, Lab 24 then Con could be in real trouble.

However the saving grace could be that we are now late enough that almost all postals will have been cast (or will have been by Sunday) so if Con has a lead of at least say 6% in the postals then it's going to be tough for UKIP to win by enough of a margin on the day to win overall.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Buying dual purpose tile adhesive/grout was a smart move.

WINNING HERE (Just about) in my bathroom.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

I was surprised when Scotland moved to having a single national police force - an idea that the English have always found contrary to civil liberties.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

MikeK said:

isam said:
    Eh?

-------

If the Tories lose the by-election one reason might be because they annoyed voters with too many cabinet ministers and MPs visiting the seat.
    I think so, were there locals in Newark - guessing not. Here there were no locals and you'd barely know an election was on. Visibility alot higher for a by-election.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

dr_spyn said:
    Hmm, that is an interesting proclivity to say the least!!
    What a wrong'un !
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    On topic am I bovvered? Apparently not.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

These Newark polls are very bad news for Con.

The only thing they can do is lead to tactical voting - which will harm Con. Con is very lucky that the Survation poll had UKIP and Lab almost tied - but the chances are that won't happen in the next polls.

If we get something like Con 36, UKIP 30, Lab 24 then Con could be in real trouble.

However the saving grace could be that we are now late enough that almost all postals will have been cast (or will have been by Sunday) so if Con has a lead of at least say 6% in the postals then it's going to be tough for UKIP to win by enough of a margin on the day to win overall.

It rather depends what the polls say, if the next poll has a bigger Con lead for instance it might change things etc
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Yeah terrible. Just out of interest, what the crime rate like in Scotland, particulalry where the majority f those stops have taken place and particularly with regard to street crime? What percentage of those stops resulted in an arrest? Unless you give those figures to go along with the number of stop and searches you aren't telling us anything worthwhile.
  • Options

This may astonish you but neither I nor any member of my family has ever been the subject of a stop and search . There must be some elements of the population for whom it is an almost weekly occurrence.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2014
    Big moves to UKIP on Betfair

3.5 in from 4.5

and back out again... (^_-)
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

3.5 in from 4.5

The lay market was 105% for a second there.

Its actually not too bad at all to trade for a few pennies on.
  • Options
    A Newark by-election poll with figures something like Con 35%, UKIP 30%, Lab 25% could be fatal for the Tories. They must wish these polls weren't being published.
  • Options

I was surprised when Scotland moved to having a single national police force - an idea that the English have always found contrary to civil liberties.

You have to remember that we are only a small and potentially completely insignificant country of only 5.3 m . There are probably a number of larger police authorities in England.

One advantage of the Scottish police service has been that squads of unknown cops have come across from Strathclyde and managed to execute astonishing numbers of outstanding warrants
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A Newark by-election poll with figures something like Con 35%, UKIP 30%, Lab 25% could be fatal for the Tories. They must wish these polls weren't being published.

How's your book on it looking ?

• Options
    DavidL said:

This may astonish you but neither I nor any member of my family has ever been the subject of a stop and search . There must be some elements of the population for whom it is an almost weekly occurrence.

The geographical disparity is enormous. For instance, 'there were 3,027 searches per 10,000 people in Glasgow City compared with 297 searches per 10,000 people in Aberdeen.'
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Book? What do you mean?
  • Options
    Lots of interesting Euro election maps on this Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/election_data
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

The one that was published was just like that. 36 - 27 -27 if I recall.

Labour has the same chance of winning as a pig learning how to fly !
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One advantage of the Scottish police service has been that squads of unknown cops have come across from Strathclyde and managed to execute astonishing numbers of outstanding warrants

On the day after the London Riots in 2011 had ended, I walked past the Met's Central Communications Command Centre on Lambeth Road at about 2 am. From Lambeth Bridge to just before the Imperial War Museum, there was a line of police vans, with officers from divers forces sitting with their riot gear, waiting to see if they would be called out. I got the feeling that you really wouldn't want to pick a fight with the Strathclyde lot...
  • Options

DavidL said:

The geographical disparity is enormous. For instance, 'there were 3,027 searches per 10,000 people in Glasgow City compared with 297 searches per 10,000 people in Aberdeen.'
    There are reasons that Glasgow is used as a backdrop for so many dramas set in Eastern Europe before the wall came down. Bits of it are a war zone.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Charles said:

O/T

Just got back from lunch in Paris with an old friend. Very worried about the state of the UMP: his view is all the leading candidates are so awful that there is a real risk that Marine Le Pen might win a run off against any of them.

I hope the FN win the next elections in France. As Junkergate shows, the eurokraut class in Brussels has no intention of paying any heed to voters' wishes, instead they are pressing on, foot to the floor, with the Federalist project. They want the European parliament to be a real parliament, even if its democratic mandate is near zero, they want to have an elected president, even though no one elects him. The europlebs can just like it or lump it.

I now see no way of stopping this juggernaut of insanity but a very hard leftwing or rightwing government in one of the major EU nations which doesn't give a toss, and which is prepared to stand up and pull the plug on the whole disgusting charade. So if it must be the FN, then let it be the FN.
    I really don't want the FN to win. I think it would be a deeply dangerous way to make a point. Somehow the federasts have got to be made to confront cold hard reality without such a nuclear option.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    Italian press reacts with outrage to news that Beppe Grillo had lunch yesterday with Nigel Farage:

Misoginia, xenofobia e omofobia: ecco l’Ukip di Nigel Farage

Full article here: http://bit.ly/1oSCd0Q

I don't speak Italian. Can an helpful PBer translate?

The title of the blog article and its last line should be sufficient to give a gist of what is being said.

Here is the last line:

Occhio, Beppe, che il detto «dimmi con chi vai e ti dirò chi sei» è sempre valido.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,843
    AveryLP said:

Italian press reacts with outrage to news that Beppe Grillo had lunch yesterday with Nigel Farage:

Convenient however that the title is pretty easy to understand even with no knowledge of Italian.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ToryJim said:

SeanT said:

Charles said:

O/T

Just got back from lunch in Paris with an old friend. Very worried about the state of the UMP: his view is all the leading candidates are so awful that there is a real risk that Marine Le Pen might win a run off against any of them.

I hope the FN win the next elections in France. As Junkergate shows, the eurokraut class in Brussels has no intention of paying any heed to voters' wishes, instead they are pressing on, foot to the floor, with the Federalist project. They want the European parliament to be a real parliament, even if its democratic mandate is near zero, they want to have an elected president, even though no one elects him. The europlebs can just like it or lump it.

I now see no way of stopping this juggernaut of insanity but a very hard leftwing or rightwing government in one of the major EU nations which doesn't give a toss, and which is prepared to stand up and pull the plug on the whole disgusting charade. So if it must be the FN, then let it be the FN.
    I really don't want the FN to win. I think it would be a deeply dangerous way to make a point. Somehow the federasts have got to be made to confront cold hard reality without such a nuclear option.
    I cannot think of a way for that to happen. When pressed they display absolute contempt for anything but fanatical support for more European integration and control. I for one would like Cameron's negotiations to succeed, I think ultimately leaving the EU will be a mistake, but if that is how they react to lukewarm support for the EU, they won't change unless forced by, well, a political earthquake.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,359
    edited May 2014

DavidL said:

This may astonish you but neither I nor any member of my family has ever been the subject of a stop and search . There mjust be some elements of the population for whom it is an almost weekly occurrence.

I am tempted to mention how stop and search is a part of life in certain parts of London but that might tempt certain posters to opine about how those people are criminals and deserve it anyway rather than being targets of our friends the police.

Newark? Who cares, it's mid-term.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

The title of the blog article and its last line should be sufficient to give a gist of what is being said.

Here is the last line:

Occhio, Beppe, che il detto «dimmi con chi vai e ti dirò chi sei» è sempre valido.

Whack it into Bing website translator, it usually does a pretty decent job
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AveryLP said:

Convenient however that the title is pretty easy to understand even with no knowledge of Italian.
    Especially to anyone who studied Ecce Romani at school. When it was a lot more recent I found my Latin meant I could get at least the gist of newspaper stories but it did nothing to help me with the spoken language.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

AveryLP said:

Here is the last line:

Whack it into Bing website translator, it usually does a pretty decent job
    Amusing bit on Bloom assaulting a journalist in the street.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    SeanT said:

Tim B said:

"Even today I have no real desire ever to go to Britain again. I'd like to see my old friends, my old school etc, but it's not worth the aggro of the place - the roads are terrible, the food is awful, the climate worse, and the prices are a nightmare "

Classic f*cked up tragic expat, moaning about Britain and how pleased he is to leave Britain - and doing it on a British website full of Brits talking about British politics.

There is nothing sadder than the aged expatriate convincing himself that he made the right decision, he really really did, honest - even as he contemplates the awful bleakness of death in a land he cannot ever call his home.

Remember, boys and girls: NEVER EMIGRATE UNLESS YOU ARE UNDER 25.

Lol.
  • Options
    For the first time since - well, ever. Most of my friends avoid me if there's an election or whatever on - everyone I know seems to be talking politics.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Book? What do you mean?
    Profit, loss on each outcome.
  • Options
    BTW does anyone know what time kick off is for Froch-Groves tomorrow? As in ding ding Round One?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Book? What do you mean?
    Profit, loss on each outcome.
    I'm not very advanced with that sort of thing, just have a bet on UKIP at 4/1.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tim B said:

"Even today I have no real desire ever to go to Britain again. I'd like to see my old friends, my old school etc, but it's not worth the aggro of the place - the roads are terrible, the food is awful, the climate worse, and the prices are a nightmare "

Classic f*cked up tragic expat, moaning about Britain and how pleased he is to leave Britain - and doing it on a British website full of Brits talking about British politics.

There is nothing sadder than the aged expatriate convincing himself that he made the right decision, he really really did, honest - even as he contemplates the awful bleakness of death in a land he cannot ever call his home.

Roads, food, climate and prices can all be pretty awful in the US as well. Having to constantly tip people for doing things like holding doors open is annoying, for example.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tim B said:

For once, SeanT is spot on !
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There are reasons that Glasgow is used as a backdrop for so many dramas set in Eastern Europe before the wall came down. Bits of it are a war zone.
    I remember driving round some parts of Cranhill and Easterhouse in the late 90's which were unbelievable, with the poor housing and poverty on display. Of course they then started knocking them down so now there are large areas where the building density has halved
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2014
    The way to emigrate is to mentally adopt the new country, and turn your back on the old one.

Your heart cannot be divided. When my grandparents migrated to the UK they never looked back, with o ly two visits to the old country in 60 years. Afrikaaners have a pejorative term for such people who have not mentally committed themselves to the new land: "Soutpiel".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=soutpiel
    SeanT said:

Tim B said:

• Options
    Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.
    Exactly, Miss. Good old, Mr. T. always ready to leap in with both feet and make a complete prick of himself.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

3.5 in from 4.5

Ladbrokes is 5/2 now. So is Paddy Power.
  • Options
    I know I should having been around this site for years but people quoting odds and changes still means absolutely nothing to me. I wish I could get my head around it.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I know I should having been around this site for years but people quoting odds and changes still means absolutely nothing to me. I wish I could get my head around it.

Seconded.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    SeanT said:

Tim B said:

The food is awful? It may have been when he left but it certainly isn't now!

As for prices nine of us (including two young ones) went for lunch at a Brasserie Blanc last Monday, really good food for less than £200. You can go to bookatable.com and have great food in some of the best restaurants in the capital of the world for a very reasonable amount. And we have Cornwall, far and away the best place in the world.

Still Wendy's is cheap.
  • Options

Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.
    Exactly, Miss. Good old, Mr. T. always ready to leap in with both feet and make a complete prick of himself.
    I've worked abroad a couple of times relatively short term - I nearly went for an intended permanent move once. But not to somewhere similar to here. A complete change.

What's weird is as I get older I fight the urge to move back north. The south has never felt permanent to me, even thought I've lived south for the best part of 30 years in total, in various places.
  • Options
    Factoid: 16 of the last 23 candidates selected to replace retiring MPs have been women.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.
    I've worked abroad a couple of times relatively short term - I nearly went for an intended permanent move once. But not to somewhere similar to here. A complete change.

What's weird is as I get older I fight the urge to move back north. The south has never felt permanent to me, even thought I've lived south for the best part of 30 years in total, in various places.
    I lived in the far east for a few years. Eventually came back when the lack of Radio 4, amongst other things, got to me. I suppose today that wouldn't be an issue what with the iPlayer and all.
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan has written a letter to UKIP supporters apologising for Labour’s previous stances on immigration:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/478076/We-were-wrong-we-are-sorry-Senior-Labour-MP-Sadiq-Khan-pens-open-letter-to-Ukip-voters
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

This may astonish you but neitheor I nor any member of my family has ever been the subject of a stop and search . There mjust be some elements of the population for whom it is an almost weekly occurrence.

I am tempted to mention how stop and search is a part of life in certain parts of London but that might tempt certain posters to opine about how those people are criminals and deserve it anyway rather than being targets of our friends the police.

Newark? Who cares, it's mid-term.
    When Mayor Bloomberg was asked why 80% of those stop and searched were black he replied 90% of crimes were committed by blacks therefore they are not stopped enough. Stats not Theresa May's strong point.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    No way can India be considered a "superpower":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-27635363
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.

Well, I left London when I was 18 and not once have I had any inclination to move back, not once. Had Herself not exerted such a spell on me I would have emigrated in the late 70's and I would not have come back from the Oman in the 1990s.

I still feel no urge to return to my roots but I am gently campaigning to get Herself to consider moving to Northumbria. I am not hopeful of success.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited May 2014
    SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Spot on.

All said and done, this country is an amazing country - hard work is normally well rewarded, but there is also a sense of compassion and fair play.

My parents took a small risk to leave Sri Lanka amid an atmosphere of discrimination and persecution in the early seventies I am glad and grateful that they chose to make their home in the UK.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    AndyJS said:

Sadiq Khan has written a letter to UKIP supporters apologising for Labour’s previous stances on immigration:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/478076/We-were-wrong-we-are-sorry-Senior-Labour-MP-Sadiq-Khan-pens-open-letter-to-Ukip-voters

Utter garbage, the sort of self serving bullshit that makes kippers like me even more determined to keep out slime balls like him.

Say what you like about Clegg but at least when he debated Farage it was over something he truly believed in, the likes of Khan are only interested in being in power.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.

Everyone has a homing instinct, which intensifies as you age. Heimat: the homeland: it beckons. Something stirs in the soul. And if you resist it you grow increasingly unhappy, or alcoholic. Because you want to go HOME. Because you NEED to go home.

As I say I think if you migrate as a young child or maybe a very young woman or man you can avoid this, but everyone else is afflicted. The Icelandics nailed the syndrome in Njal's Saga, a fantastic narrative, written 1000 years ago.

Even though Njal knows that if he stays in Iceland he will die, he knows, even better, than in the end his heart will die if he forsakes his homeland forever. And the death of the heart is worse than mere physical death. So he stays, and he is killed, but he is buried in the soil of his native land.

Still Tim B's got professional lacrosse on six different TV channels, and drive thru Chick-Fil A, so maybe he'll be OK.

Sean, old boy, you don't half talk a load of bollocks at times.
  • Options

No way can India be considered a "superpower":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-27635363

It just says "aspires to be a superpower" in that piece though. Think it's got a long way to go.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

"There were 3,027 searches per 10,000 people in Glasgow City compared with 297 searches per 10,000 people in Aberdeen."

"There appeared to be no targeting of ethnic minorities in police stop and searches, with most involving Caucasian males."

"We could find no causal link between the reduction in violence and the volume of stop-and-search activity."

Gang culture. Reduces number of young men carrying weapons. Doesn't reduce the violence so much as reduce the lethality.

That link accidentally shines a spotlight on 40 years of BBC lying about London.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.

Everyone has a homing instinct, which intensifies as you age. Heimat: the homeland: it beckons. Something stirs in the soul. And if you resist it you grow increasingly unhappy, or alcoholic. Because you want to go HOME. Because you NEED to go home.

As I say I think if you migrate as a young child or maybe a very young woman or man you can avoid this, but everyone else is afflicted. The Icelandics nailed the syndrome in Njal's Saga, a fantastic narrative, written 1000 years ago.

Even though Njal knows that if he stays in Iceland he will die, he knows, even better, than in the end his heart will die if he forsakes his homeland forever. And the death of the heart is worse than mere physical death. So he stays, and he is killed, but he is buried in the soil of his native land.

Still Tim B's got professional lacrosse on six different TV channels, and drive thru Chick-Fil A, so maybe he'll be OK.

I couldn't imagine going back to Stoke - some family there, but most of my ties are here and in London. I think I miss... hard to explain. A sense of what's *important* that I don't get down here.

And the coutryside. Dark awesome lonely countryside. Not the chocolate-boxy stuff of the south east.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    TOPPING said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.

I lived in the far east for a few years. Eventually came back when the lack of Radio 4, amongst other things, got to me. I suppose today that wouldn't be an issue what with the iPlayer and all.
    I was fine in Asia. You expect it to be different, and tune in/out of it. Oz I didn't like. The culture was kind of the same as here, but without the good bits.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Emigrating is a huge deal. Once you've done it you spend the rest of your life convincing yourself you've made the right decision. My brother in NZ is just like that. Nothing good to say about home at all. In fact, he denies being British. He calls us Poms and has developed a bizarre North London/Kiwi hybrid accent.

You know why the portions are so big in the US? It's emigrants celebrating the plenty of their New Found Land.

• Options
    The food is awful? In multiculti Britain? With restaurants offering virtually every single cuisine on earth, especially in the big cities?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Carola said:

Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.

Well, I left London when I was 18 and not once have I had any inclination to move back, not once. Had Herself not exerted such a spell on me I would have emigrated in the late 70's and I would not have come back from the Oman in the 1990s.

I still feel no urge to return to my roots but I am gently campaigning to get Herself to consider moving to Northumbria. I am not hopeful of success.
    Wonderful property for sale just outside Hexham, Mr. Llama.

http://bit.ly/1iB8yEg

It's not just that it fronts the Tyne with a small bit of land, but it also has a wonderful back history.

http://dailym.ai/SkJj2o

And all for less than it would cost to buy a two bedroom flat in Kensington and Chelsea.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Emigrating - i think it varies with the person. Personally I hate not living in my home manor let alone country.
  • Options
    To be fair to the Yanks, I was surprised how easy it was to be a veggie in Boulder, CO, when I worked there in 2011 (and Denver wasn't too bad either food wise). Not sure if it was just a Colorado thing.
  • Options

The food is awful? In multiculti Britain? With restaurants offering virtually every single cuisine on earth, especially in the big cities?

Truly one of the great achievements of multi-culturalism that, in that even those against it in general will recognise that improvement.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

SeanT said:

Tim B said:

Lol.

That's me fecked then, given that I left London at 21 and have never felt at home there or anywhere else.
  • Options
    Newsnight on leader reading habits - Cameron includes 'political blogs'. *waves*
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Labour matched at 46 on Betfair
  • Options
    Do you know, when I arrived in the UK in 1976, I spoke not a single word of English! Probably beacuse I was only four months old :)
  • Options
    Carola said:

Newsnight on leader reading habits - Cameron includes 'political blogs'. *waves*

Surely not blog comments however? Why subject himself to that? Not enough divisive arguments in his day job?

• Options
    I must confess something in common with Ed - I don't read the papers either! I get my news on the Web, namely the Beeb site, Guido occasionally, but 90% of the time right here on PB.com!

(raises glass to one and all!)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carola said:

Surely not blog comments however? Why subject himself to that? Not enough divisive arguments in his day job?

No I don't imagine he does! Few do I thought, according to stats.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Truly one of the great achievements of multi-culturalism that, in that even those against it in general will recognise that improvement.
    Have the more recent eastern Europeans bought any decent nosh with them ? I like the occasional pickled herring as much as the next person but can't I've never headed out for a "polish"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Have the more recent eastern Europeans bought any decent nosh with them ? I like the occasional pickled herring as much as the next person but can't I've never headed out for a "polish"
    I've seen Polish shops as far apart as Ilford and Coventry! I have bought some of their cakes and pastries and they're not bad at all!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

I've had Hungarian barbecue, all the meat was cooked with liberal doses of beer thrown over it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Hmm, interesting point. There's a couple of thousand of Poles in the town I live, but no Polish Restaurants as far as I'm aware, just some local Polish focused shops. Some tasty polish sausages and the like in the local supermarkets now, but then with the exception of the French* I think most places make decent sausages.

*I saw Fish Sausages and Tripe sausages when I was last there in the mid 2000s.
  • Options
    'By Election Day next year, there will have been ~2,000 polls of vote intentions this parliament. Between 1943 and 2010, fewer than 3,500.' @drjennings

Blimey, is that right?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No
  • Options
    Carola said:

'By Election Day next year, there will have been ~2,000 polls of vote intentions this parliament. Between 1943 and 2010, fewer than 3,500.' @drjennings

Blimey, is that right?

Probably daily YouGovs could be a fair proportion of those?
  • Options
    Carola said:

Blimey, is that right?

Good time to found a polling company I guess, although I expect reputation counts for a lot. I still don't think Rowan Williams is correct about it being something we need to be worried about though.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    FalseFlag said:

kle4 said:

No
    Not a fan of increased culinary output across the country? I didn't say somone had to think that was a fair price to pay for the other impacts of multiculturalism.
  • Options
    Sell your birthright for a mess of pottage.
  • Options

Carola said:

Blimey, is that right?

Probably daily YouGovs could be a fair proportion of those?
    Yep 1200 of them apparently.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Blimey, is that right?

Sounds plausible, the irony being that whilst drowning in polling data we still have no real idea how the next election will pan out.
  • Options
    Speaking of polling I do wonder if part of our problem is having reduced politics to a statistical model. Politics feels a lot less about grand argument and far more about micro targeting soundbites to shift 2 voters here or 6 there. I do wonder if the broad narrative sweep gets lost in the details etc
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I feel at home anywhere within about 100 miles of central England, which just about includes London.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Carola said:

Blimey, is that right?

Sounds plausible, the irony being that whilst drowning in polling data we still have no real idea how the next election will pan out.
    Hence so very interesting ;)
This discussion has been closed.