Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » One Year To Go: How do Dave and Ed compare to their predece

13»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    Looks like the first counting cock-up from the local elections may have been found, Stockland Green in Birmingham:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/elections/local/2014

Tory vote at 494 is much lower than expected and Labour much higher at 3,451.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,494
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

"According to an Ipsos Mori poll the Guido Fawkes Blog is the publication most read by MPs either online or in print"

http://order-order.com/2014/05/30/survey-says/

PB is mid-table.

Just proves gossip and frivolity trumps seriousness. Cannot bear guido Fawkes or his homunculus.
    It's good for some scoops, but for me it's like any form of fanaticism, in that everything is passionately one-note, which is exhausting.

Indeed
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 2014
    Tom Newton Dunn in The Sun

"The Tories are on course to win next weeks key Newark by election and give UKIP a hammering..."

Is TN-D OGH?

Will people be saying it's all over for UKIP if they dont win this?
  • Options
    isam said:

"The Tories are on course to win next weeks key Newark by election and give UKIP a hammering..."

Is TN-D OGH?

They won't be saying it's all over but they may say the tide is turning etc
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

bwin's Newark odds have shifted sharply - Labour in from 34-1 to 19-1, UKIP from 4 to 3.5, Cons 1.15 to 1.3. Meanwhile on the ground I gather the Labour campaign has stepped up a gear, though not to Tory levels.

Labour shortening ? Huh ?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"The UK is on course for the third warmest spring since records began, forecasters say.

The Met Office said an average March-May temperature of 8.97C (48.15F) would be beaten only by 2007 and 2011 in the records, which date back to 1910."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27635564

This must be a joke. It has been freezing !
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

They'll be saying it.

The reality on the ground around the country will be deciding if it's true.
  • Options
    Result of Euro election in Gibraltar, which is part of the SW region:

LD 4,822
    Con 1,236
    Lab 659
    UKIP 290
    Green 84
    BNP 42
    Eng Dem 24
    AIFE 23

http://www.parliament.gi/gibraltar-register-of-european-parliamentary-electors/euro-parl-elections-2014-results
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

Almost certainly, Mr. Sam. Denizen's of this site already know what a massive disaster the 22/5/14 was for UKIP (remember, we were told so by OGH who even produced a graph to prove it). Therefore, I am sure many will recognise that if UKIP don't win at Newark that will really put the tin hat on their chances of ever being even a minor force in British politics. Said people will also no doubt be telling us that the LIB Dems are just having a temporary blip in popularity and will soon e storming back to the low to mid-twenties in the polls.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Bilderballs not allowed in, bit embarassing.

http://order-order.com/2014/05/30/watch-balls-banned-from-bilderberg/
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    AndyJS said:

Looks like the first counting cock-up from the local elections may have been found, Stockland Green in Birmingham:

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited May 2014
    surbiton said:

bwin's Newark odds have shifted sharply - Labour in from 34-1 to 19-1, UKIP from 4 to 3.5, Cons 1.15 to 1.3. Meanwhile on the ground I gather the Labour campaign has stepped up a gear, though not to Tory levels.

Selective.. still get 27-1 with betfair or 25-1 with Skybet (was 20-1 yesterday).

Bwin were 25-1 y'day, they went to market best 33-1 to presumably catch a bit of £ which looks to have worked and so now 18-1 albeit others have shorter odds and haven't budged throughout that shake?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Neil said:

Charles said:

O/T

Just got back from lunch in Paris with an old friend. Very worried about the state of the UMP: his view is all the leading candidates are so awful that there is a real risk that Marine Le Pen might win a run off against any of them.

If they are that bad they'll have trouble getting into the run-off.
    His view was that Hollande is so unpopular that there's just no way back for him.

I forget all the names but he said Sarko is loathed, Villepine (sp?) has never been elected or had a proper job, one of the other guys is way too junior & Fiton is just a faceless bureaucrat. None of them will inspire - while Le Pen is very charismatic and an extremely left wing populist (with the exception of the France for the French crap) who could combine a lot of protest votes + rural votes + anti-establishment + deep red.
    LOL Le Pen left wing. She is very conservative, just the French have different principles and traditions to us so what she wants to conserve is different to us, that's what real diversity is. Vive Le France, Vive Le Difference, Vive Le Pen.

Anyone would think the Conservatives supported repealing the corn laws, and the Tories were right of course to oppose the repeal as the newly rural unemployed flooded into industrial ghettos. Easy for the Liberal industrialists to dress up their self interest in cheap labour in high sounding ideals, a lot like immigration.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    ToryJim said:

isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

And they will be talking garbage. Much as I would love it to happen there is no way UKIP are ever going to win Newark next Thursday.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

Some, of course. More likely it will just temper optimism from UKIPers and pessimism from Tories somewhat, as all reflect that as amazing as UKIP have been doing, they face a hell of a task to get even one MP even so. I doubt most would say they have no chance of it though.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853
    AndyJS said:

LD 4,822
    Con 1,236
    Lab 659
    UKIP 290
    Green 84
    BNP 42
    Eng Dem 24
    AIFE 23

http://www.parliament.gi/gibraltar-register-of-european-parliamentary-electors/euro-parl-elections-2014-results

Clegg may have a future as governor of Gibraltar then. Or St Helena. Appropriate for a great would-be-unifier of Europe.

• Options

ToryJim said:

isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

And they will be talking garbage. Much as I would love it to happen there is no way UKIP are ever going to win Newark next Thursday.
    Perception is far more important than reality. If the impression is created of stalling momentum nobody will really worry about the finer details.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Selective.. still get 27-1 with betfair or 25-1 with Skybet (was 20-1 yesterday).

Bwin were 25-1 y'day, they went to market best 33-1 to presumably catch a bit of £ which looks to have worked and so now 18-1 albeit others have shorter odds and haven't budged throughout that shake?
    OK. That's better.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

AndyJS said:

Exactly. Where were the Tory agents ?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The 'winter of discontent' was the last straw in our leaving the UK - read: we were going to anyway, but the winter of 78-79 said NOW!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    Isn't using the word "hammering" somewhat unwise given we have just one single poll giving Con an 8% lead?

Sure, Con are clear favourites but they are available at 1.31 on Betfair - that doesn't suggest to me that Con can be confident of giving UKIP a hammering.

I suspect if Dave was offered any Con win - even just by a few votes - he would very gratefully take it.
  • Options

surbiton said:

bwin are absolute jokers, I wouldnt take them as a mark on anything honestly.

UKIP just traded for relatively big money at 4.4 (£500).. of course this doesnt mean its necessarily good for them as someone has taken the bet and the price has barely moved

Could just as easy say someone has backed them at 2/7 not to win
  • Options
    Channel 4 News pointing out that although people can get things removed from Google search engines in the UK and Europe, the links will still be available on Google.com. So a bit of a waste of time.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FalseFlag said:

AndyJS said:

Exactly. Where were the Tory agents ?
    True, just unrealistic to expect some people to act in an honourable and gentlemanly manner, a lower class of people. Or as some call it the electoral geography favouring labour.

• Options
    Omnium said:

AndyJS said:

LD 4,822
    Con 1,236
    Lab 659
    UKIP 290
    Green 84
    BNP 42
    Eng Dem 24
    AIFE 23

Clegg may have a future as governor of Gibraltar then. Or St Helena. Appropriate for a great would-be-unifier of Europe.

Sending Clegg off to be Governor of St. Helena has a certain appeal and Longwood House, I think, is still standing. However, it might be unfair on the islanders who seem to be as nice enough bunch as you could wish to meet.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Channel 4 News pointing out that although people can get things removed from Google search engines in the UK and Europe, the links will still be available on Google.com. So a bit of a waste of time.

I think Google is like amazon - the front end may end in .uk, .de etc, but it's the same engine underneath. In amazon's case, the same login and password works on most sites - certainly .com and .uk.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Just tried to put this up on the new thread, but it disappeared just as I pressed post comment. :)
    Twitter
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 24s
    Pls retweet that at 4pm on Monday not only will the Ashcroft National Poll be released but also a poll on the Newark by-election.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    fitalass said:

Just tried to put this up on the new thread, but it disappeared just as I pressed post comment. :)
    Twitter
    Pls retweet that at 4pm on Monday not only will the Ashcroft National Poll be released but also a poll on the Newark by-election.

Sorry about that, hit publish instead of auto-publish later.

It'll be up in an hour or so.

Though I'm sure that's the first ever PB thread to have been written and published at a New Kids On The Block Gig.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959

"According to an Ipsos Mori poll the Guido Fawkes Blog is the publication most read by MPs either online or in print"

http://order-order.com/2014/05/30/survey-says/

PB is mid-table.

Surprised to see UKPR so far down the list.

Course most MP's are checking out Guido to see whether he's exposing them. Yet.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Tim_B said:

The 'winter of discontent' was the last straw in our leaving the UK - read: we were going to anyway, but the winter of 78-79 said NOW!

I wanted to go then too, but I was in love, courting Herself and she didn't want to know about moving abroad (having been born there, I suppose). So heart ruled the brain. I tried again in the nineties but again she would not have it and again heart ruled the brain.

• Options

isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

Almost certainly, Mr. Sam. Denizen's of this site already know what a massive disaster the 22/5/14 was for UKIP (remember, we were told so by OGH who even produced a graph to prove it). Therefore, I am sure many will recognise that if UKIP don't win at Newark that will really put the tin hat on their chances of ever being even a minor force in British politics. Said people will also no doubt be telling us that the LIB Dems are just having a temporary blip in popularity and will soon e storming back to the low to mid-twenties in the polls.

I only just saw that graph of LD MEPs per vote!! Jesus the grapes are sour!

The headline when UKIP won the Euros was that they did worse than expoected against the polling hahahahaha!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

ToryJim said:

isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

Whether they're talking garbage is less relevant than whether it's believed, because if it is believed, that of itself could turn the tide.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter

If Ashcroft has UKIP within 5% of the Tories we should steam in to back them. He has underpolled UKIP in the last 5-6 by elections, sometimes by quite a margin
  • Options
    Charles Moore in the Speccie has a terrifying thought. Blair for Commission President?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/05/does-tony-blair-want-to-be-president-of-the-european-commission/

• Options
    "Though I'm sure that's the first ever PB thread to have been written and published at a New Kids On The Block Gig."

Eagles, sometimes you are sad muppet.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Charles Moore in the Speccie has a terrifying thought. Blair for Commission President?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/05/does-tony-blair-want-to-be-president-of-the-european-commission/

Chilcot is about to come out sans anything really interesting. Then again, the Tories did not have too amny problems with his Iraq adventure.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

Whether they're talking garbage is less relevant than whether it's believed, because if it is believed, that of itself could turn the tide.
    Do you really think so?

The flip side of what your saying is that if UKIP win Newark they could expect 10+ seats at the GE thanks to the momentum
  • Options

ToryJim said:

isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

In the District Council votes for the Euros , didn't UKIP win ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788

"Though I'm sure that's the first ever PB thread to have been written and published at a New Kids On The Block Gig."

Eagles, sometimes you are sad muppet.

Despite your comment, I'm Hangin' Tough

• Options
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

I think Google is like amazon - the front end may end in .uk, .de etc, but it's the same engine underneath. In amazon's case, the same login and password works on most sites - certainly .com and .uk.
    Didn't a French judge pass a ruling some years back to which Google or Yahoo replied saying it was impossible as the internet was worldwide. The judge still made it work.

Basically, the ISP's were legally bound not to carry some websites. Whether it is .co.uk, .de or .com, if the law says this cannot be in the domain of a country, it can be enacted.

Would you accept if a child pornography site was banned in the UK but the .com version was available ?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Tim_B said:

I wanted to go then too, but I was in love, courting Herself and she didn't want to know about moving abroad (having been born there, I suppose). So heart ruled the brain. I tried again in the nineties but again she would not have it and again heart ruled the brain.

We'd been married 6 months when we went on a look-see trip, as she'd never seen the US and Canada. I'd told her before we got hitched that I saw no purpose for a young couple to stay in the UK when North America offered so much more opportunity. The proposition sold itself.

She left her parents, an identical twin sister in Haywards Heath (which got me into trouble more than once when we were courting), an elder sister and lots of nephews and nieces, aunts and uncles, none of whom had ever seen North America either. I guess she liked me......

Moving was a nightmare - the truck drivers were on strike so we couldn't get our furniture moved, you couldn't buy petrol for the same reason, so we had to sell our cars and rely on rental cars as they always came with a full tank...it was many years before I even wanted to visit the UK again. Catching a flight was also problematic. Even today I have no real desire ever to go there again. I'd like to see my old friends, my old school etc, but it's not worth the aggro of the place - the roads are terrible, the food is awful, the climate worse, and the prices are a nightmare

On the good side - We're still here....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

ToryJim said:

Chilcot is about to come out sans anything really interesting. Then again, the Tories did not have too amny problems with his Iraq adventure.
    It will come out, eventually, without the verbatim of some letters and conversations, but not without anything really interesting. I should be very surprised if it turns out to be yet another whitewash.

That said, I am disgusted that one of the actors has been allowed to be one of the referees. Sir Jeremy Heywood was Blair's principle private secretary at the crucial time. Yes, the bloke who was charged with looking into the Mitchell fiasco but but didn't bother to look at the video's. The man is clearly incompetent or devious and, as Blair's secretary at the time, should have had no role in the Chilcott Enquiry.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Didn't a French judge pass a ruling some years back to which Google or Yahoo replied saying it was impossible as the internet was worldwide. The judge still made it work.

Basically, the ISP's were legally bound not to carry some websites. Whether it is .co.uk, .de or .com, if the law says this cannot be in the domain of a country, it can be enacted.

Would you accept if a child pornography site was banned in the UK but the .com version was available ?
    I was merely passing an observation. In the real world if the google.fr site can have personal info redacted, it doesn't (presumably) apply to google.com, which is not based in France, although accesible from there.

Whether that's right or wrong can be debated, but unfortunately if you want personal privacy, you should probably avoid the internet in general. That's just the way it is, French judges or not.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

You really think Cameron would nominate him?
  • Options
    The group Grassroots Tories aren't actually representative of grassroots Tories they are just bitter has beens and never weres.
  • Options
    isam said:

ToryJim said:

isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

Do you really think so?

The flip side of what your saying is that if UKIP win Newark they could expect 10+ seats at the GE thanks to the momentum
    Yes, on both counts. Don't know if you remember this, which I wrote back in January. It wasn't a prediction as such but I did think it was a plausible, if extreme, possibility:

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/01/25/it-couldnt-happen-could-it-pm-farage/
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    ToryJim said:

Mention of Blair makes me long for the re-enactment of capital punishment in the UK.
  • Options
    Eh?

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 1m
    It's a long time since I've seen Tories so keen to win a by-election. Amazingly, Ukip don't seem that bothered; Lab + Lib Dems even more so
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    edited May 2014
    ToryJim said:

The group Grassroots Tories aren't actually representative of grassroots Tories they are just bitter has beens and never weres.
    Clever group name though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Clever group name though.
    Irritating more.
  • Options
    isam said:

Eh?

It's a long time since I've seen Tories so keen to win a by-election. Amazingly, Ukip don't seem that bothered; Lab + Lib Dems even more so

It's only the third winnable by-election the Tories have had this parliament and even classing Corby as such is stretching it a bit. Presumably Crick didn't go to Eastleigh.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    isam said:

Eh?

It's all over for UKIP if they dont win this? ; )
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    edited May 2014
    surbiton said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

ISPs can block individual sites. They could if ordered block the whole of Google.com though I suspect that would cause a huge amount of trouble for them. What they cannot do is stop google.com from lawfully providing links under US law or some other non-EU law. It is all or nothing. Either the EU accept that google.com is outside their jurisdiction or they block the whole site.

Personally I hope google tell them where to go and stick their censorship.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

We'd been married 6 months when we went on a look-see trip, as she'd never seen the US and Canada. I'd told her before we got hitched that I saw no purpose for a young couple to stay in the UK when North America offered so much more opportunity. The proposition sold itself.

She left her parents, an identical twin sister in Haywards Heath (which got me into trouble more than once when we were courting), an elder sister and lots of nephews and nieces, aunts and uncles, none of whom had ever seen North America either. I guess she liked me......

Moving was a nightmare - the truck drivers were on strike so we couldn't get our furniture moved, you couldn't buy petrol for the same reason, so we had to sell our cars and rely on rental cars as they always came with a full tank...it was many years before I even wanted to visit the UK again. Catching a flight was also problematic. Even today I have no real desire ever to go there again. I'd like to see my old friends, my old school etc, but it's not worth the aggro of the place - the roads are terrible, the food is awful, the climate worse, and the prices are a nightmare

On the good side - We're still here....
    To be fair, Mr. B.. The food in restaurants and, most, pubs in the UK is a lot better these days. Still crap unless you know where you are going, mind (Brake Brothers and microwaves dominate the pub food trade), but a lot better than it was in the late seventies. The roads are terrible (and getting worse), the prices are getting silly (£5.20 for a pint of Guinness they wanted the other day), and the climate - well that hasn't changed. I am sure your missus would notice the changes that have been made to Haywards Heath, a pseudo town if ever there was one, but aside from the new estates and 14 times as much traffic not much changed since the late 70's (tell her the Star is still going and the curry house across the road).

Still it could be worse. Instead of living 7 miles from the centre of Haywards Heath I could be living 7 miles from the centre of Atlanta.
  • Options

isam said:

ToryJim said:

isam said:

Is TN-D OGH?

Do you really think so?

Yes, on both counts. Don't know if you remember this, which I wrote back in January. It wasn't a prediction as such but I did think it was a plausible, if extreme, possibility:

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/01/25/it-couldnt-happen-could-it-pm-farage/
    Not a bad prediction so far

More possible now than it was then...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

Eh?

He's probably not been near the UKIP HQ fearing he might be hit over the head again; this time with a hammer.

Incidentally I've learned that Nigel Farage will be in Newark tomorrow, followed by Diane James on Sunday and Patrick O'Flynn on Monday.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

To be fair, Mr. B.. The food in restaurants and, most, pubs in the UK is a lot better these days. Still crap unless you know where you are going, mind (Brake Brothers and microwaves dominate the pub food trade), but a lot better than it was in the late seventies. The roads are terrible (and getting worse), the prices are getting silly (£5.20 for a pint of Guinness they wanted the other day), and the climate - well that hasn't changed. I am sure your missus would notice the changes that have been made to Haywards Heath, a pseudo town if ever there was one, but aside from the new estates and 14 times as much traffic not much changed since the late 70's (tell her the Star is still going and the curry house across the road).

Still it could be worse. Instead of living 7 miles from the centre of Haywards Heath I could be living 7 miles from the centre of Atlanta.
    Oddly enough, my wife had her formal interview and test for her US Citizenship this morning. She passed.

From home to the USCIS offices, (which are just inside I-285, which is to Atlanta what the M25 is to London - we live outside it), and back via a detour for a good lunch and a detour to get some passport photos taken - 124 miles.

Regarding the food etc in the UK - I was there in 2005. It hadn't improved much.

So long as the Yorkshire dales exist, I can get a cheese and picallili sandwich, a decent pint, visit my old school (and once in a while down your way to see my dad and nephew's school) and somewhere reasonable to lay my weary head, I'll survive the UK for a very limited time.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    AndyJS said:

And there is surely something wrong with Washwood Heath.
  • Options
    @Tim_B

"... once in a while down your way to see my dad and nephew's school ..."

I am growing ever more senile. Are not your family linked in with St John's College, Hurstpierpoint? Or as it likes to refer to itself these days, "Hurst College" (amazingly despite this ridiculous dumbing down they are queueing up to get their children in there).

Anyway if you do come down this way and don't let me buy you at least a beer then you and your line shall be cursed even unto the seventh generation.

P.S. Hope the dog is well.
This discussion has been closed.