Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first Newark by-election opinion poll is out

Comments

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    isam said:

The UKIP is getting on my nerves a bit

Mind you the sanctimonius twat in the audience just made her look good

You should have put up Suzanne or Nige - both top TV performers
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Black bloke in the audience just nailed the point
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    Beam me up, Scotty: teleportation ‘could become reality’

Laws of physics do not fundamentally forbid the teleportation of large objects, including humans, professor says

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10863929/Beam-me-up-Scotty-teleportation-could-become-reality.html
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,046

GIN1138 said:

What is the Con to Lab swing on these number, BTW?

11.3%
    Handsome Labour majority nailed on!!!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

BobaFett said:

Pulpstar said:

GAY WEATHER :D

Gay weather and ugly girls - classic QT.

Who does Barton support? I'm guessing Labour but I hope not!!
    Labour. Nailed on.
    A working class scouser on £80,000 a week, of course he supports Labour!
    LOL :-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

There does seem to be a disconnect between the main parties trying not to look like they are dismissing UKIP, and thus look like they are dismissing the concerns of the millions who voted for them (or suggesting they were too dumb to know what they did), and the more passionate anti-UKIP folk, who are much more direct in going 'No need to be circumspect - just say they are racist and get on with it' and the like. The latter position is easily dismissed and only strengthens UKIP's anti-establishment feeling, and the former comes across as being woolly.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Cable :D
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Screw UKIP and QT - I've found a problem with the Amazon Kindle.

Got mine a week back and took it to the gym today. Propped it up on the treadmill and just kept reading as I was walking away - next thing I knew I'd been going for an hour!

So this thing will either make me fit as a fiddle or kill me.
  • Options
    I'm guessing Joey is going to be anti-Blair...
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Pulpstar said:

This chap has a point.

Of course he does, he actually lives in the real world.

Willetts and the Labour woman don't realise that their monotonous replies are exactly the reason why people are sick to death of politicians. All they do is walk the walk, then do nothing.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Still a better place to live than a country where the army rules at gunpoint. Sun is not everything.
    SeanT said:

We hit 400mm of rainfall for the year today in Leamington. Reservoirs are at 95% of capacity. It's going to be a lush, bountiful summer. Damp shadows under heavy trees. With a bit of sun between now and September the blackberries will be historic. England is good.

It's disgusting. I've seen the sun once, for about an hour, since I got back from Asia.

What was that brilliant Bill Bryson quote? Living in Britain is like living inside a translucent grey tupperware box in the fridge.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

I agree the Kipper is not the best calibre debater, but she is learning on the job, also she is not showing signs of nerves, all good pointers for the future.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

My cat would make a better chairman of this group than Dimbleby.

He's brought everyone in for reasonable time, asked for clarifications of all of them and made sure to get more UKIP voices from the audience to balance things out, yes terrible Chairing.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

No harm in trying to blood in some new faces - UKIP's stock has never been higher, so even a disastrous performance by an individual would not harm their overall momentum, and best case scenario they do well and UKIP have another steady performer to call upon.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Still, no need for depression about the early summer weather. In 3 weeks the nights start drawing in, and we can look forward to 8 months of winter.

LOL. Drink some wind and cheer up. It's been raining all week. The weekend forecast is good.
    And it's spring, not summer.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    The new Heathrow Terminal 2 — a very postmodern choice of venue for Question Time.

With the self-service check-in screens on view behind the panelists.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    SeanT said:

Still, no need for depression about the early summer weather. In 3 weeks the nights start drawing in, and we can look forward to 8 months of winter.

Crikey is the glass even half full? You're alive, healthy and successful. Everything else is just tinsel, nice but unnecessary,
  • Options
    I hope they have plenty of earplugs in Brussels and Strasbourg. They are going to need them, not least in the kipper offices.
    MikeK said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

I agree the Kipper is not the best calibre debater, but she is learning on the job, also she is not showing signs of nerves, all good pointers for the future.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Slightly better odds at Bwin for those who want to indulge.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I had thought we now only had two seasons anyway - warm slush and cold slush. Seems to come in randomly all year round though occasionally.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

Yes it is her first time on there, and she is a bit carried away with the momentum I guess.

Farage and Evans have both been on in the last month. Steven Woolfe is my tip for the next Kipper to shine.
  • Options
    Yeah, after the Indyref the sun will shine every day.

Meanwhile in the real world there is politics, which is why you are on this blog. Thais do not have politics, just coups.

SeanT said:

Still a better place to live than a country where the army rules at gunpoint. Sun is not everything.

SeanT said:

We hit 400mm of rainfall for the year today in Leamington. Reservoirs are at 95% of capacity. It's going to be a lush, bountiful summer. Damp shadows under heavy trees. With a bit of sun between now and September the blackberries will be historic. England is good.

It's disgusting. I've seen the sun once, for about an hour, since I got back from Asia.

What was that brilliant Bill Bryson quote? Living in Britain is like living inside a translucent grey tupperware box in the fridge.
    No, instead we have a ludicrous fake democracy with a fatuous voting system where we are governed by unelected bureucrats in a foreign country, sharing power with a metropolitan elite that everyone hates, who dictate everything that isn't already decided in Brussels.

That, and endless drizzle. That's modern Britain. No wonder the Scots want to break it up.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I can't remember having to wear a fleece on 29th May before.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Screw UKIP and QT - I've found a problem with the Amazon Kindle.

Got mine a week back and took it to the gym today. Propped it up on the treadmill and just kept reading as I was walking away - next thing I knew I'd been going for an hour!

So this thing will either make me fit as a fiddle or kill me.

You're already looking after yourself enough to actually go to the gym, so I think you are probably healthy enough that you can probably survive your kindle's attempts to kill you.

• Options
    Wheres the data tables for this Survation btw ?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

I can't remember having to wear a fleece on 29th May before.
    I had to wear a fleece in august 4-5 years back. Dreadful stuff.

People twisting themselves in knots over this chilcott stuff, unsurprisingly. Again, I'm surprised to find some agreement with Piers, though it's a tricky one.

It does seem that if the gist of a conversation is allowed and is accurate, then what additional harm would specific words have? The opinion, good, bad or neutral, is surely the more important bit.

• Options
    SeanT said:

ToryJim said:

SeanT said:

Crikey is the glass even half full? You're alive, healthy and successful. Everything else is just tinsel, nice but unnecessary,
    I'm perfectly content. Just spent a great night in the pub (sober! (driving)), with some old friends, I have an intriguing new romantic liaison, and financially I thrive doing a job I love.

I am ludicrously, ludicrously lucky

But there's no denying the fact that Britain can be a bloody dreary place in weather like this. Almost anywhere else seems preferable. As I may have mentioned, this is my explanation for Britain's martial prowess and imperial aggression: we got so hacked off with the rain we invaded the rest of the world in a desperate hunt for reliable sunshine.

Without weather like this we'd no longer be a green and pleasant land. As an amateur photographer I love weather like this far more atmospheric than gay sunshine and the like.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    I might be missing something, but this poll doesn't seem to be moving the odds very much. Are the Tories really still as nailed on as the bookies say. I'm unconvinced this is great news, given how UKIP have shown a tendency to surge in the week leading up to by-elections.
  • Options
    In the Euro elections in Birmingham, UKIP came second to Labour whereas in the locals the Tories were second:

Euro election, Birmingham:

Lab: 93,740
    UKIP: 52,063
    Con: 39,329
    LD: 19,853
    Green: 12,753

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/elections/european/2014
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

It does seem that if the gist of a conversation is allowed and is accurate, then what additional harm would specific words have? The opinion, good, bad or neutral, is surely the more important bit.

It's the difference between "The President hailed the Prime Minister with a hearty greeting", and "Yo, Blair!"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

Laws of physics do not fundamentally forbid the teleportation of large objects, including humans, professor says

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10863929/Beam-me-up-Scotty-teleportation-could-become-reality.html

Airlines shaking in their boots ;-)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Louise Bores!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

It's the difference between "The President hailed the Prime Minister with a hearty greeting", and "Yo, Blair!"
    Ah yes, the Minuting effect.

Heathrow runway arguments? I look forward the classic NIMBY 'Need to increase capacity but not here, in someone elses area', 'Not enough research/consultation (no matter how much is done)' arguments.

Very physical speaker, this UKIP lady, lots of talking with the hands.
  • Options
    Touch of a clanger from the UKIP lady there. Heathrow is a national issue.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2014
    That awkward moment when you realise a UKIP person has made the point you agree with most out of a whole hour of Question Time (her thing about Heathrow and the arrogant assumption that everything should happen in London).
  • Options
    RobD said:

At least BA will never lose my luggage again
  • Options

RobD said:

"Sorry Sir, your baggage appears to have been beamed into the Sun."
  • Options
    Do people seriously care which airport around London they come into ?

Does it matter so much that people fly into Heathrow ? Are people really that vain ?!
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Joey says UKIP the best of a bad bunch and like the least ugly girl in the room!

The philosopher Footballer indeed!

spreading to scouseland even, et tu jimmy
  • Options
    Having tweaked both his knee and his back, Rory shoots 63 in the first round at the Memorial. The 63 includes a double bogey.
  • Options
    Where is the worm when you need it!

The UKIP worm seems to have turned.

AveryLP said:

Louise Bores!

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Does it matter so much that people fly into Heathrow ? Are people really that vain ?!

Yeah, Gatwick's a dump in Sussex.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Touch of a clanger from the UKIP lady there. Heathrow is a national issue.

Why is it a national issue?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    This essay - http://jacobinism.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2014-01-06T11:50:00-08:00&max-results=7 - is very good on the burqa issue ( in the previous thread). Being passive in the face of aggressive challenges to our beliefs is not toleration but complicity in crimes against those beliefs and crimes against women, in particular.

Well worth reading. The burqa is not some sort of exotic balaclava. It's an aggressive f*** you to Western society by those determined to destroy it or undermine it and ensure that its freedoms and values are not available to all its citizens.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Hate flying, normally have to get pissed to get on a plane.. but I dont know if I have ever been to Heathrow!

Piers Morgan such a prick... hate that he is an Arsenal fan so much
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Only inasmuch as it impacts on how far they are from where they want to get to in the capital or elsewhere, I would guess. It just takes so long to sort out, it seems like nothing will get done in time, which is frustrating for those who won't be affected one way or another but do think the need is there.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Only inasmuch as it impacts on how far they are from where they want to get to in the capital or elsewhere, I would guess. It just takes so long to sort out, it seems like nothing will get done in time, which is frustrating for those who won't be affected one way or another but do think the need is there.
    Piers made it sound like people are taking holidays at the airport.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    A future Labour government will not undo the hugely unpopular cuts imposed by the current coalition, the shadow chief secretary to the Treasury is expected to say.

Speaking on Friday, Chris Leslie is to outline Labour’s “radical” policy plans, but will warn that the party is preparing to make some unpopular decisions and will not “be able to undo the cuts that the have been felt in recent years.”
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/29/future-labour-government-will-not-undo-hugely-unpopular-coalition-cuts_n_5413596.html
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

SeanT said:

ToryJim said:

SeanT said:

I'm perfectly content. Just spent a great night in the pub (sober! (driving)), with some old friends, I have an intriguing new romantic liaison, and financially I thrive doing a job I love.

I am ludicrously, ludicrously lucky

But there's no denying the fact that Britain can be a bloody dreary place in weather like this. Almost anywhere else seems preferable. As I may have mentioned, this is my explanation for Britain's martial prowess and imperial aggression: we got so hacked off with the rain we invaded the rest of the world in a desperate hunt for reliable sunshine.

Without weather like this we'd no longer be a green and pleasant land. As an amateur photographer I love weather like this far more atmospheric than gay sunshine and the like.
    It's also very good for gardeners. My garden is blooming and lush and gorgeous.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I much prefer Gatwick, with the caveat that I haven't been through Heathrow since the late 90s when it was truly appalling in every way. Also until recently Delta only flew into gatwick.

My favorite airport is manchester, because these days I rarely need to go anywhere outside Lancashire and Yorkshire.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Piers made it sound like people are taking holidays at the airport.
    Well, despite me agreeing with him a surprising amount tonight, he is still a tit.
    Scott_P said:

A future Labour government will not undo the hugely unpopular cuts imposed by the current coalition, the shadow chief secretary to the Treasury is expected to say.

Speaking on Friday, Chris Leslie is to outline Labour’s “radical” policy plans, but will warn that the party is preparing to make some unpopular decisions and will not “be able to undo the cuts that the have been felt in recent years.”
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/29/future-labour-government-will-not-undo-hugely-unpopular-coalition-cuts_n_5413596.html
    Oh, what a shock that is. Will they still attempt to give the impression they would, without explicitly promising to do so I wonder.
  • Options
    An excellent summary. I agree.
    Cyclefree said:

This essay - http://jacobinism.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2014-01-06T11:50:00-08:00&max-results=7 - is very good on the burqa issue ( in the previous thread). Being passive in the face of aggressive challenges to our beliefs is not toleration but complicity in crimes against those beliefs and crimes against women, in particular.

Well worth reading. The burqa is not some sort of exotic balaclava. It's an aggressive f*** you to Western society by those determined to destroy it or undermine it and ensure that its freedoms and values are not available to all its citizens.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Jesus, they will really never learn.

Latest Ashcroft poll: 60% of people want no more cuts. Proportion among UKIP voters who want no more cuts is even higher.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ANP-summary-140527.pdf
  • Options
    Annoying as it is Britain's rain caused the industrial revolution imo.

kids need iodine for brain development and iodine comes from the sea mostly so

rain
    grass
    cows
    milk
    brains

went wrong when people stopped drinking as much milk
  • Options
    They may not want them, but they do not want tax rises either.

And at the moment we spend a Billion pounds per week on interest on our national debt.
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Latest Ashcroft poll: 60% of people want no more cuts. Proportion among UKIP voters who want no more cuts is even higher.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, Gatwick's a dump in Sussex.
    Nah, Pulpstar's right - I fly in and out all the time and which airport is a detail. Just got back from Stansted, but could equally well have been Heathrow or Gatwick, who cares about an extra 20 minutes or whatever if you've got a book or a laptop.

Odds: will move tomorrow, I suspect. Survation's unproven record of being helpful to UKIP in its assumptions may make people a bit cautious about 4-1 on them, but the 34-1 against Labour is now a silly price (both bwin but others have similar odds).

• Options
    We are not arguing with the Government about the scale of the challenge. But we do differ significantly on the best way to confront it. George Osborne has had his five years to eradicate the deficit. I am determined that we finish that task on which he has failed.

That truly will be a boon for Labour. They did not promise to eliminate the deficit in four-five years if they won in 2010, so would always have planned to do so sometime in the next partliament. Now the Tories are also planning to do that, but as they promised to do it in five initially, when Labour in government (as I believe they will be) achieve it as the economy has a few years of reasonable growth behind it, they can get the plaudits for the entire deficit reduction, while the Tories attempting to argue they did the hard bit by getting it started and deserve credit will be shot down with 'your plan failed, so you went onto theirs' or some such.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

"Sorry Sir, your baggage appears to have been beamed into the Sun."
    Followed by "Thank you for beaming with Morris Dancer Transporters...."
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Arrived at City Airport for the first time (from Stockholm) last week. Unfortunately there was an enormous queue at passport control which took about 35 minutes to get through. A bit disappointed, because I've always heard how efficient it is.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

About as believable as Miliband knows how to eat a bacon sarnie.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

I thought UKIP's approach was scorched earth everywhere except defence which would be hiked beyond all credibility, basically the GOP on steroids?

• Options
    As last week's elections showed, the public want the realistic prospect of change, not just more of the same. And they want Labour to focus relentlessly on how it would deliver those changes

Is that what last week's elections showed? That people want Labour specifically to deliver changes that we need? I know they won the locals, but that seems a bit of a leap. Ah, politics.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Arrived at City Airport for the first time (from Stockholm) last week. Unfortunately there was an enormous queue at passport control which took about 35 minutes to get through. A bit disappointed, because I've always heard how efficient it is.

Did you enjoy the landing?
  • Options
    How close was Survations local election poll ?
  • Options
    PMJPMJ Posts: 3
    "(even if the boundaries have changed since then)." I value this site for intelligent debate on political issues. How then can sensible debate take place unless people accept that comparisons MUST be based on a like for like basis or they mean nothing. We need the details and date of the changes and a weighted basis for comparisons with 1997 or it is meaningless.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Did you enjoy the landing?
    Nice view, yes, if that's what you mean.
  • Options
    Allison Pearson's Telegraph article on racism and multiculturalism has received 5,724 comments so far:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10860492/Are-we-all-racist-now.html
  • Options
    kle4 said:

As last week's elections showed, the public want the realistic prospect of change, not just more of the same. And they want Labour to focus relentlessly on how it would deliver those changes

Is that what last week's elections showed? That people want Labour specifically to deliver changes that we need? I know they won the locals, but that seems a bit of a leap. Ah, politics.

Any political sentence that starts in the format "As X showed" usually results in the shoehorning of facts to fit a narrative and is always utter crap.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AndyJS said:

Allison Pearson's Telegraph article on racism and multiculturalism has received 5,724 comments so far:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10860492/Are-we-all-racist-now.html

Sounds like an open challenge to all the other Telegraph contributors to top that. Lord Tebbit gets comments into the thousands with some regularity, the right topic could manage it for him.

Good night all.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Well, I did suggest this morning that Labour was value at the 60.0 then available (as did Stuart D).
  • Options
    On topic, I hope this poll lengthens the Tory price a bit so I can pile on. I can't see the anti-Tory vote organising efficiently enough to push Lab or Kip past the post.
  • Options
    With two independents, the Monster Raving Loonies, The Bus-Pass Elvis Party, Common Good Party, Greens, and Patriotic Socialists, there's an awful lot of opportunities for the LDs to be embarrassed and beaten into 4th.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We are not arguing with the Government about the scale of the challenge. But we do differ significantly on the best way to confront it. George Osborne has had his five years to eradicate the deficit. I am determined that we finish that task on which he has failed.

That truly will be a boon for Labour. They did not promise to eliminate the deficit in four-five years if they won in 2010, so would always have planned to do so sometime in the next partliament. Now the Tories are also planning to do that, but as they promised to do it in five initially, when Labour in government (as I believe they will be) achieve it as the economy has a few years of reasonable growth behind it, they can get the plaudits for the entire deficit reduction, while the Tories attempting to argue they did the hard bit by getting it started and deserve credit will be shot down with 'your plan failed, so you went onto theirs' or some such.

There would be no plaudits for Labour even if they did eliminate the entire deficit, because no-one outside the Westminster bubble cares about whether we have a deficit or not.
  • Options

Well, I did suggest this morning that Labour was value at the 60.0 then available (as did Stuart D).

Oh For sure, Labour is my best result.

I can't work out what a fair price on Kipper is though,

Am on at 8-11 Tories right now..

Also Survation overestimated UKIP, underestimated Conservative slightly at Euros.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Danny565 said:

I love your comments on this. Clearly, as a Labour supporter, it doesn't even occur to you that anyone might even ask whether the policy was a good one or one could actually be delivered: if it polls well, promise it, eh?

Has it never occurred to you that there might be a tiny bit of a problem with that in the unfortunate event that Labour gets to form the next government?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

With two independents, the Monster Raving Loonies, The Bus-Pass Elvis Party, Common Good Party, Greens, and Patriotic Socialists, there's an awful lot of opportunities for the LDs to be embarrassed and beaten into 4th.

Greens to be squeezed by Labour.
  • Options
    The bye-election has disappeared from Betfair and Ladbrokes, and Labour are 16/1 at William Hill.

BobaFett said:

On topic, I hope this poll lengthens the Tory price a bit so I can pile on. I can't see the anti-Tory vote organising efficiently enough to push Lab or Kip past the post.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

I much prefer Gatwick, with the caveat that I haven't been through Heathrow since the late 90s when it was truly appalling in every way. Also until recently Delta only flew into gatwick.

My favorite airport is manchester, because these days I rarely need to go anywhere outside Lancashire and Yorkshire.
    With all respect, you're talking total bollocks (which, to be fair, you halfway admit)

I fly constantly in my job. Heathrow has been transformed beyond recognition in recent years. And the evidence isn't anecdotal: it recently entered the top ten airports in the world, in the most important list:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2579974/On-Heathrow-rises-ranks-enter-surveys-Best-Airport-awards.html

Way ahead of similar world city airports like JFK or CDG.

Meanwhile, Terminal 5 has been voted the Best Terminal IN THE WORLD for three years running.

http://mediacentre.heathrowairport.com/Press-releases/Heathrow-awarded-for-best-terminal-and-best-shopping-globally-86e.aspx

Yer out of date, dude. Heathrow is now an excellent airport, with peerless access to the great city it serves.

BUILD THE THIRD RUNWAY.

Right. People don't seem to grasp that the integration of the Heathrow site with rail and tube is world class. If you moved the hub, you'd have to hook it up from scratch. Would cost billions, take nearly a generation to build, and disrupt thousands of acres for something we already have.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Also Survation overestimated UKIP, underestimated Conservative slightly at Euros.

I think the current 3/1 on the Kippers looks reasonable, in the sense that I wouldn't immediately want either to back or to lay at that price.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Excellent article. Nails it perfectly.

New Labour 1997-2010 really was the vilest of governments. Positively malignant in almost every way.
    Basically someone punching you in the face over and over while saying you deserve it for hurting their hand.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Only 4th, it would be hilarious to see them finish behind OMRLP as it would have shades of the Bootle by-election in 1990.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

I thought UKIP's approach was scorched earth everywhere except defence which would be hiked beyond all credibility, basically the GOP on steroids?

That's traditionally UKIP's policy (although recently they have been hinting at populist leftwing policies on the economy and public spending), but surely it's well-established by now that most people are not voting UKIP because they agree with their detailed domestic policies. There are loads of Lab->UKIP defectors here in the north who say they think Labour don't stand up for the working-class enough, very often because of immigration, occasionally because of the EU, but also because they think they didn't give enough jobs to people who were thrown onto the dole by Thatcher, that they didn't ensure people got good enough wages, that investment in town centres and public services wasn't high enough, and that they sucked up to rich fat-cats too much. I would wager that virtually none of those Lab->UKIP defectors did so because they think "Labour spent too much money".
  • Options

The bye-election has disappeared from Betfair and Ladbrokes, and Labour are 16/1 at William Hill.

BobaFett said:

I can't see Lab doing it. They'd have to move a big chunk back from Kip. Not going to happen because there aren't many leftie votes in there. The numbers suggest that the Lab score is pretty much 2010+Red Libs, the Kip uptick mostly comprised of former Tories.
  • Options
    Browsing the data tables (http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Newark-Poll-Sun-Tables.pdf), first things which jump out:

UKIP voters are, as ever, more likely to vote than others. But surprisingly Labour voters are almost as eager, and decently more likely to than the Tories.

The subsample of 'Others' voters is tiny, but Paul Baggaley just about leads it.

It's not exactly a new phenomena, but the past vote recall of people is terrible.

It's a shame they only ask people if they would consider voting for UKIP. Would be much better if we could compare the parties on that one.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Pulpstar said:

I think the current 3/1 on the Kippers looks reasonable, in the sense that I wouldn't immediately want either to back or to lay at that price.
    Hmm Well in that case I'll take the remaining £18 at 7-2 on Betfair and stick a tenner back up at 3.6
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I love your comments on this. Clearly, as a Labour supporter, it doesn't even occur to you that anyone might even ask whether the policy was a good one or one could actually be delivered: if it polls well, promise it, eh?

Has it never occurred to you that there might be a tiny bit of a problem with that in the unfortunate event that Labour gets to form the next government?
    Oh right. Never mind that the public don't want more cuts, they just don't understand enough so they'll have to lump it and take spending cuts anyway.

Some of you PBTories crack me up with your selective approach to "listening to the people". When it comes to immigration or an EU referendum, it's a scandal for Labour to not listen to the voices of the people who say they're against them. Yet, when it's proven time and time again that people also don't want spending cuts, their opinions don't matter, paying off some random guy on a trading floor in Shanghai is the most important thing rather than providing good lives for British people.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Still 34-1 at bwin (and UKIP 4-1), who I think are foreign-based and perhaps slower to react to UK polls. But kudos to richard N for getting on at 60-1!

• Options
    I think the books will reprice at 5-2 on UKIP for this. Bet365 currently 3s but as Quincel said, UKIP has the mo.

I think I'll be able to lay off the UKIP cash lower.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

ToryJim said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

That's traditionally UKIP's policy (although recently they have been hinting at populist leftwing policies on the economy and public spending), but surely it's well-established by now that most people are not voting UKIP because they agree with their detailed domestic policies. There are loads of Lab->UKIP defectors here in the north who say they think Labour don't stand up for the working-class enough, very often because of immigration, occasionally because of the EU, but also because they think they didn't give enough jobs to people who were thrown onto the dole by Thatcher, that they didn't ensure people got good enough wages, that investment in town centres and public services wasn't high enough, and that they sucked up to rich fat-cats too much. I would wager that virtually none of those Lab->UKIP defectors did so because they think "Labour spent too much money".

The trouble is at some point they will have to reveal their hand at which point half their supporter base is gonna have a hissy. If they stick to the bonkers scorched earth nonsense the Lab-kip switchers will fly away. If they go full on left wing populism the scorched earth nutters will fly away plus every one else will kick the crap out of them for the intellectual dishonesty. They can't face two ways simultaneously or at least they can't in the way the Lib Dems did by being wooly centrist mongers. So at some point they are going to shatter their coalition of the angry and possibly scupper their USP at the same time.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Quincel said:

Only 4th, it would be hilarious to see them finish behind OMRLP as it would have shades of the Bootle by-election in 1990.
    Lib Dems 500-1 for Newark.

I'll lay at a hundred times that if you like.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Oh right. Never mind that the public don't want more cuts, they just don't understand enough so they'll have to lump it and take spending cuts anyway.

Some of you PBTories crack me up with your selective approach to "listening to the people". When it comes to immigration or an EU referendum, it's a scandal for Labour to not listen to the voices of the people who say they're against them. Yet, when it's proven time and time again that people also don't want spending cuts, their opinions don't matter, paying off some random guy on a trading floor in Shanghai is the most important thing rather than providing good lives for British people.
    Nothing wrong with spending money you earn. But when you're in debt - as the UK is - it's the creditor who decides what you can spend. If people won't lend the money to us,we can't spend no matter how much we might want to. Debtors have very little choice - and we are a heavily indebted nation.

• Options
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

With all respect, you're talking total bollocks (which, to be fair, you halfway admit)

I fly constantly in my job. Heathrow has been transformed beyond recognition in recent years. And the evidence isn't anecdotal: it recently entered the top ten airports in the world, in the most important list:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2579974/On-Heathrow-rises-ranks-enter-surveys-Best-Airport-awards.html

Meanwhile, Terminal 5 has been voted the Best Terminal IN THE WORLD for three years running.

http://mediacentre.heathrowairport.com/Press-releases/Heathrow-awarded-for-best-terminal-and-best-shopping-globally-86e.aspx

Yer out of date, dude. Heathrow is now an excellent airport, with peerless access to the great city it serves.

BUILD THE THIRD RUNWAY.

Right. People don't seem to grasp that the integration of the Heathrow site with rail and tube is world class. If you moved the hub, you'd have to hook it up from scratch. Would cost billions, take nearly a generation to build, and disrupt thousands of acres for something we already have.
    Not just rail and tube - road as well. The M25 is two minutes away, likewise the M5, M4, M3.

Heathrow is actually in pretty much the PERFECT position for a London airport that wants to be a national and global hub. Anywhere else is inferior, especially when you take into account the vast expense and time it would take to shift it all.

e,g. There are rumours that they are going to expand Gatwick instead. Sheer stupidity. Gatwick is south of London making it a nightmare for anyone who is coming from north of London (i.e, most of the UK). Similarly, east of London is seriously suboptimal for a British/global hub.

The strange thing is that while we have dithered, Heathrow has turned itself into a massively successful international airport, admired across the world (as these prizes show). It would be an act of self harm not to expand it (if we have to expand, which we do). Are we that stupid? Possibly.
    LHR3 is the way to go. But no party seems to want to touch it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

BUILD THE THIRD RUNWAY.

I think I more than halfway admiited I was talking bollocks! :-)

I'm more than happy to accept that Heathrow has come on like gang busters since the awful place it was 15-18 years ago. All power to it.

Unfortunately I have no need of it, as my trips to the UK involve the north of England, and I can just drive on those occasions when I need to go south.

Heathrow may be much better, but the UK motorway system appears to have not changed much over 30 years. The M1, M4, M3, M6 etc are all the same size they were then.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

G.

BUILD THE THIRD RUNWAY.

Not just rail and tube - Possibly.
    All because of a handful of marginal constituencies in southwest London, and environs.

I reckon - maybe I just hope - that the next government will see sense - they will have no choice - and they will build LHR3.

Ironically, it might be the one positive outcome from a Labour victory. Labour don't depend on posh west London marginal seats, so they can make a rational and objective decision, in the national interest, which means expanding Heathrow.
    They've got targets in places like Hounslow and Ealing...
  • Options
    Regarding Burqas, I think banning them would be shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted... the repercussions from angry extremists would be worse than the weird sight of women walking about, shut off from the world by creepy costumes

I would suggest that governments and influential moderate muslims went on the offensive in another way: an advertising campaign saying that it is ok to take off your burqa if you like, and make intimidating a woman into wearing one a crime
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Danny565 said:

ToryJim said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

The trouble is at some point they will have to reveal their hand at which point half their supporter base is gonna have a hissy. If they stick to the bonkers scorched earth nonsense the Lab-kip switchers will fly away. If they go full on left wing populism the scorched earth nutters will fly away plus every one else will kick the crap out of them for the intellectual dishonesty. They can't face two ways simultaneously or at least they can't in the way the Lib Dems did by being wooly centrist mongers. So at some point they are going to shatter their coalition of the angry and possibly scupper their USP at the same time.

Very good post. Labour is and will be tied to the overall size of the Tory state, pretty much.
  • Options
    @SeanT‌
    I think the govt is unduly worried. Yes there'd be a bit of sound and fury and Zak would flounce off in a huff. Caroline Lucas would jump up and down spouting her rubbish about how we should all live in yurts made from organic fair traded flax eating mung bean casseroles and communing with Gaia but then it would simmer down and everyone would get on with it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

G.

BUILD THE THIRD RUNWAY.

Not just rail and tube - Possibly.
    All because of a handful of marginal constituencies in southwest London, and environs.

I reckon - maybe I just hope - that the next government will see sense - they will have no choice - and they will build LHR3.

Ironically, it might be the one positive outcome from a Labour victory. Labour don't depend on posh west London marginal seats, so they can make a rational and objective decision, in the national interest, which means expanding Heathrow.
    Surely you'll be voting Labour, SeanT. They are the party of the metropolitan London ruling elite now, voting Tory or even UKIP must be completely beneath the residents of Primrose Hill now.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Not just rail and tube - road as well. The M25 is two minutes away, likewise the M5, M4, M3.

Heathrow is actually in pretty much the PERFECT position for a London airport that wants to be a national and global hub. Anywhere else is inferior, especially when you take into account the vast expense and time it would take to shift it all.

e,g. There are rumours that they are going to expand Gatwick instead. Sheer stupidity. Gatwick is south of London making it a nightmare for anyone who is coming from north of London (i.e, most of the UK). Similarly, east of London is seriously suboptimal for a British/global hub.

The strange thing is that while we have dithered, Heathrow has turned itself into a massively successful international airport, admired across the world (as these prizes show). It would be an act of self harm not to expand it (if we have to expand, which we do). Are we that stupid? Possibly.
    LHR3 - This is what I don't understand. Here in Atlanta we have 5 runways. There are suburbs on both ends of the runways. Everyone understands the economic benefits of airport traffic growth, and there was litttle opposition to expansion.

Why is there such opposition in the UK? I remember KACAN in the 70s to protest at aircraft noise, but that's long gone now with the new jets.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    7%!?!?
    My arse.
This discussion has been closed.