Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lib Dem voters sticking with Nick Clegg according to new Yo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lib Dem voters sticking with Nick Clegg according to new YouGov-Times poll

After several days of pressure on Nick Clegg new YouGov polling for the Times suggests that most current party supporters want him to remain as leader. Even amongst those who voted for the party in 2010 he has a lead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited May 2014
    So, if the LDs are happy with their current voter total, Cleggy should stay

If they want more, then +12 of the potential new voters say go.

Is this another cunning plan from the Party of IN?
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited May 2014
    - "I’m not betting on an early Clegg departure."

I do hope that you are right Mike. With Clegg still in position in September the Lib Dems are going to be worse than useless during the IndyRef.

In the old days (eg. the Kennedy days) the Lib Dems were the likeable Unionists.If they still filled that role then they would have been a great asset to Better Together. Instead, they have been replaced by UKIP, the Unionist party lots of people love to hate.

Anecdote alert: a couple of days ago I was amazed to see a friend's brother post this on Facebook: "That's my mind made up ..... Independent Scotland , yes please." The reason I was amazed is that their father is a former Labour Lord Provost, and I have heard several viscerally critical anti-SNP comments from family members. He was actually the family member I would have said was least likely to be a Yes voter. So, that is the UKIP effect for you: turning life-long Unionist voters into Yes voters. Well, at least one of them! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Provost
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    I too don't think the LibDems will replace Clegg this side of the GE. There is nothing for them to gain from it, and much to lose. The LibDems will be hoping that with the economic recovery the LibDems will get some of the credit.
    Their best hope is probably to go on the attack against Labour and then sweep in on the coat-tails of the Conservative victory, which as TSE and others pointed out yesterday now looks inevitable.

As I've mentioned previously, a much more interesting question is the position of EdM. I think he is more vulnerable than Clegg to being ousted this year. Unlike the LibDems, Labour have little to lose from a putsch, and much to gain. It's the potential big game changer and the Conservatives have got to hope and pray they're stupid enough to retain EdM into the General Election.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2014
    ‘A Cable led party would not improve Lib Dem prospects at the GE15’

Vince now has polling evidence that he’s no better than Clegg, poor chap must be gutted,
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    The "extraordinary resilience" OGH notices may have something to do with the difference between a fox running for his supper and a hare running for her life...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Always tricky with a question like "should he stay?" It may be that a chunk of those lost 2010 LibDem voters are happy to see him stay - but only because they think it makes it easier for them to justify their vote going elsewhere because they (a) now can't stand the guy and (b) want him to stay in place to damage the LibDems.

If polled, I would certainly vote for Ed Miliband to stay as Labour leader.... but only because Ed is Crap.

The problem the LibDems have with Nick Clegg staying is that people just won't listen to a message delivered by Nick Clegg. That the Party doesn't appear to have a message to deliver is a wider problem that affects any replacement leader. If they do suddenly come up with some bright ideas, between now and the election, they would be squandered if delivered by Clegg. Keeping Clegg in place is an admission that they need a long, hard think about what they are and what they offer.

But that admission will lose them at least half their current MP's. Who is going to vote for a Party whose offer is: "Vote for us, even though we know we have a dead-in-the-water leader and no policies - we'll tell you about our new elder and what we are for after the election... Hello? Come back....please come back....PLEASE..... "
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I do hope that you are right Mike. With Clegg still in position in September the Lib Dems are going to be worse than useless during the IndyRef.

In the old days (eg. the Kennedy days) the Lib Dems were the likeable Unionists.If they still filled that role then they would have been a great asset to Better Together. Instead, they have been replaced by UKIP, the Unionist party lots of people love to hate.

Anecdote alert: a couple of days ago I was amazed to see a friend's brother post this on Facebook: "That's my mind made up ..... Independent Scotland , yes please." The reason I was amazed is that their father is a former Labour Lord Provost, and I have heard several viscerally critical anti-SNP comments from family members. He was actually the family member I would have said was least likely to be a Yes voter. So, that is the UKIP effect for you: turning life-long Unionist voters into Yes voters. Well, at least one of them! ;)

Oh well - based on the anecdote - the SIndy campaign is done and dusted:)

In all seriousness it is difficult to see how last week's elections in any way enhanced the Yrs vote chances.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    "Lib Dem voters sticking with Nick Clegg according to new YouGov-Times poll"

What, both of them?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If anything, Lord Oakeshott's manoeuvres have strengthened Nick Clegg's position by forcing potential rivals to disown the wicked lord and profess loyalty to the beleaguered leader. Nick Clegg will only go if he chooses to voluntarily, and there's no sign of that yet.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    So Nick is not going and the team is going to remain loyal(ish). So what do the Lib Dems do?

The tories are going to waste peoples' time by bringing forward bills that will probably get voted down. From their pov it is not a waste because it shows what a tory majority would do and how they are being restrained by the Coalition.

Is there any reason that the Lib Dems can't do the same? It does require some of those idea things mentioned down thread but it would also be a chance to bring forward a distinctive voice and reassert their existence as a separate party.

There seems to be a general acknowledgement that the Coalition Agreement has largely run its course. Parliament does not have much else to do.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The modern Lab/Lib/Con politicians have an animal as their mascot and and avatar: Limpets!
  • Options

Always tricky with a question like "should he stay?" It may be that a chunk of those lost 2010 LibDem voters are happy to see him stay - but only because they think it makes it easier for them to justify their vote going elsewhere because they (a) now can't stand the guy and (b) want him to stay in place to damage the LibDems.

If polled, I would certainly vote for Ed Miliband to stay as Labour leader.... but only because Ed is Crap.

The problem the LibDems have with Nick Clegg staying is that people just won't listen to a message delivered by Nick Clegg. That the Party doesn't appear to have a message to deliver is a wider problem that affects any replacement leader. If they do suddenly come up with some bright ideas, between now and the election, they would be squandered if delivered by Clegg. Keeping Clegg in place is an admission that they need a long, hard think about what they are and what they offer.

But that admission will lose them at least half their current MP's. Who is going to vote for a Party whose offer is: "Vote for us, even though we know we have a dead-in-the-water leader and no policies - we'll tell you about our new elder and what we are for after the election... Hello? Come back....please come back....PLEASE..... "

Early doors maybe, but this looks like the post of the day.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MikeK said:

The modern Lab/Lib/Con politicians have an animal as their mascot and and avatar: Limpets!

Whereas Ukip have the £ as their mascot to indicate the vast amount of public money their leader has scoffed in Brussels expenses.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,205
    Leaders agree to review EU policies says the BBC.......

The main problem is the fundamental lack of accountability of the Commission, and it's drive for integration against the wishes of many citizens. I bet that won't be part of the review.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Interesting bit on racial prejudice on the rise...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/27/-sp-racism-on-rise-in-britain

Some interesting comments below also. The one analysis that seems missing in the article is racial prejudice by ethnicity.

The exact questions would be interesting; and how many are unconfessed racists.

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

I too don't think the LibDems will replace Clegg this side of the GE. There is nothing for them to gain from it, and much to lose. The LibDems will be hoping that with the economic recovery the LibDems will get some of the credit.
    Their best hope is probably to go on the attack against Labour and then sweep in on the coat-tails of the Conservative victory, which as TSE and others pointed out yesterday now looks inevitable.

As I've mentioned previously, a much more interesting question is the position of EdM. I think he is more vulnerable than Clegg to being ousted this year. Unlike the LibDems, Labour have little to lose from a putsch, and much to gain. It's the potential big game changer and the Conservatives have got to hope and pray they're stupid enough to retain EdM into the General Election.

LOL. Show me where TSE forecast an inevitable Tory victory yesterday?
  • Options
    On topic, what we haven't heard is @MikeSmithson's view on Clegg.

@Mike - should he stay, or should he go?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    JackW said:

MikeK said:

Whereas Ukip have the £ as their mascot to indicate the vast amount of public money their leader has scoffed in Brussels expenses.

At least UKIP stand on two feet, proudly, and do not hide under a shell and have suckers for feet and suckers for followers.
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120
    UKIP lost 6 out of their 13 MEPs of those elected in the last Euro elections. Any bets as to the first of the new lot to go?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    There was a significant opinion by an Advocate General of the ECJ last week where Germany resisted paying benefits to someone who had exercised their freedom of movement and come to Germany allegedly just to claim benefits. The Court agreed they could do this apparently. I say apparently because I have struggled to find an English translation of the Opinion.

This is the direction of travel for the EU and Member States. There will be an agreement that will entitle states to refuse to pay benefits to those who have not contributed and have no real connection with the state. There will no longer be an obligation to pay Child Benefit for children not even in the country. There may be further restrictions on the scope of the entitlement to health care for non citizens.

I really don't think there is any doubt that a qualifying majority of northern states are up for this. It should give Cameron an easy victory. I doubt any of this will require a treaty change although it may well require modification of existing regulations which can be done by QMV.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

MikeK said:

At least UKIP stand on two feet, proudly, and do not hide under a shell and have suckers for feet and suckers for followers.
    Typical Ukip anti wheelchair disabled view and another nasty attack on tortoise and octopus friendly voters.

Is there no end to your bigotry !!

• Options
    @Fox

Terrifying figures on the rise of racism, something I have noticed anecdotally outside London.

Not surprised to see it is actually falling sharply within the capital.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger Helmer, as he would have to resign if he won Newark.

But peasants revolts are rarely successful for long. Wat Tyler led a mass demonstration out of Kent, but was killed by the Mayor of London, and his head put on a pike.

UKIP lost 6 out of their 13 MEPs of those elected in the last Euro elections. Any bets as to the first of the new lot to go?

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760

Too stupid strikes again.

It hasn't occurred to your mate that the people he dislikes are Scots and live in Scotland and would still be there post indy ?

What's he going to do ethnically cleanse them ?
  • Options
    Latest ARSE 2015 General Election Projection Countdown :

24 hours 23 minutes 22 seconds
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Is there a convenient site where I can study the Euro election results by local authority area?

Now we have more data, I want to return to some of the subjects I've looked at in previous posts.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

Unimpressed by the graph in the Guardian as it's very to pick holes in the conclusions they come to. It all depends what dates you compare with, and it's based on subjective racism.

However, suspending disbelief, am I reading the histograms wrong? If racism, as defined, is going up in the last 10 years, it seems to be within the unskilled not the highly qualified.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,436
    @felix you forget that everything is good for the Yes campaign. I suspect that when the referendum result goes to the No campaign up they'll pop to say that that is a good result and means independence is actually closer.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2014
    It'll be interesting to see how the LDs do in the 2015 local elections. After the 2011-2014 cycle of losses, will their councillor numbers stabilise, or continue to fall?
  • Options

Roger Helmer, as he would have to resign if he won Newark.

But peasants revolts are rarely successful for long. Wat Tyler led a mass demonstration out of Kent, but was killed by the Mayor of London, and his head put on a pike.

Don't give Boris ideas.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

Some interesting comments below also. The one analysis that seems missing in the article is racial prejudice by ethnicity.

I don't know how useful such a survey is. People who admit to racial prejudice may just be more honest than those who don't. Equally, some people may hold views that third parties would consider prejudiced, but which they don't.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good morning, everyone.

Diplomacy question: if two units bounced one another from the North Sea, which remained empty, and a third unit adjacent to the North Sea were displaced, can it retreat there? I suspect not, but it's worth asking.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Davidson is excellent, no doubt about that.
  • Options
    kierankieran Posts: 77
    Looking at the 3 polls yesterday there is an interesting relationship between the Labour and Green vote.

Ashcroft - Lab 31 Green 7
    YG - Lab 34 Green 5
    Populus - Lab 36 Green 3

The Lab + Green percentage is very consistent at 38 - 39.

This - along with the rise in UKIP - is an example of how the Euros have distorted GE polling.

Just as you would expect more UKIP voters to return to the Tories by the GE, you would also expect Green voters to return to Labour.

Given that at the last GE the greens got just 1% of the vote - and did slightly worse in the euros than in 09 in terms of votes - this is clearly a vote which could be squeezed by Labour.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Kippers and this "LIbLabCon" thing - will it just be "LabCon" after the GE ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

It suggests that there are perhaps limited electoral dividends in trying to portray (accurately or inaccurately) your political opponents as racists.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

My apologies: it was Rod Crosby's guest article rather than TSE's. The point still stands: a growing number of us think there's only one way the GE is going and that's a Conservative victory. Rod's article yesterday gave impressive statistical backup to this. The question really is whether they can win outright on seats.

I return to the more interesting issue given that I think the GE is foregone: EdM's position over the next 11 months. Will Labour have the courage to ditch the liability leader?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The major problem with the LibDems is not their leader but their policies and until these address the electorate's concerns, then their low polling will continue.

The LDs are pro-Europe and the EU project, pro-Immigration, pro-ECHR in all its facets, pro-Green energy which costs more than conventional energy, pro-Green Energy taxes and subsidies which results in higher energy bills, and many are anti-Fracking - a potential new UK energy source.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    kieran said:

Given that at the last GE the greens got just 1% of the vote - and did slightly worse in the euros than in 09 in terms of votes - this is clearly a vote which could be squeezed by Labour.

Alternatively, the Green vote won't be squeezed, rather it will give a new home for those on the Left who subscribe to the "Ed is Crap line" and consequently can't bring themselves to vote Labour...
  • Options

BobaFett said:

My apologies: it was Rod Crosby's guest article rather than TSE's. The point still stands: a growing number of us think there's only one way the GE is going and that's a Conservative victory. Rod's article yesterday gave impressive statistical backup to this. The question really is whether they can win outright on seats.

I return to the more interesting issue given that I think the GE is foregone: EdM's position over the next 11 months. Will Labour have the courage to ditch the liability leader?
    GE isn't a foregone conclusion and far too many variables to be certain. EdMs position will be safe, they'll have their wobble now and then will rally round with varying degrees of enthusiasm.
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, indeed, there's no chance of Miliband going unless something incredible occurs.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited May 2014
    antifrank said:

Is there a convenient site where I can study the Euro election results by local authority area?

Now we have more data, I want to return to some of the subjects I've looked at in previous posts.

Kinda, you need to go the below link, then click on each region, and have a navigate through

Not all of them are up yet, and some are in appalling formats, especially the London one.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/elections-and-referendums/past-elections-and-referendums/european-parliamentary-elections

London here

http://londoneuroelections.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Borough-Voting-Figures-for-London-160KB-pdf.pdf
  • Options

kieran said:

Alternatively, the Green vote won't be squeezed, rather it will give a new home for those on the Left who subscribe to the "Ed is Crap line" and consequently can't bring themselves to vote Labour...

kieran said:

Maybe Mark. Who knows?

I feel this is unlikely though. There has been a clear Green spike associated with the Euros, the extra publicity they get and the way they have more of a chance than under FPTP.

In a GE though those voters will have a choice of a Labour government or a Tory government.

And actually the profile of Green voters is probably the most favourable in the whole electorate - generally middle class, liberal, soft left, ethical. That is the group Ed probably does best with.

You have a better argument with Lab to UKIP switchers but if this analysis is correct Labour probably don't need them to win. They could win with current Labour voters + green switchers. Not saying it is going to happen because I'm not a mystic but it is surely a feasible possibility.

• Options

BobaFett said:

Pile in if you think a Tory majority is on. There are loads of seat by seat markets with inviting prices for those that think a Tory revival is coming...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Pile in if you think a Tory majority is on. There are loads of seat by seat markets with inviting prices for those that think a Tory revival is coming...
    Sorry, who said 'a Tory revival is coming'? Slippery Bob. It's nothing to do with a coming Tory revival. It's a combination of common sense, history and statistics. Labour aren't in a winning position 12 months from the GE. The governing party by contrast are on an excellent footing for the win. The real question is whether they can win outright on seats, which will be harder but by no means impossible.
  • Options
    @Kieran

Indeed. I have long been asking for a Green Labourites thread, looking at how sticky Green voters are. I suspect that they can be lured back.
  • Options

Indeed, it's a movement not a coherent party.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

It hasn't occurred to your mate that the people he dislikes are Scots and live in Scotland and would still be there post indy ?

What's he going to do ethnically cleanse them ?
    No, not at all. It's the numbers.

UKIP 4th with 10% in Scotland - but with a very good chance of being in a Tory-UKIP ruling coalition come 2015.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kieran said:

And actually the profile of Green voters is probably the most favourable in the whole electorate - generally middle class, liberal, soft left, ethical. That is the group Ed probably does best with.

In what way is demanding higher fuel prices, causing massive issues among those with insufficient wealth to be able to afford your ideals, in any way, shape or form, "ethical"?

Green supporters just want to impose their worldview on everyone else and hang the consequences
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Mary Riddle's piece in the Tele makes quite good reading.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10858377/Has-Ed-Miliband-trapped-himself-on-the-wrong-side-of-history.html

Unfortunately, I'm of an age where the mention of Uriah Heep makes me think of Demons and Wizards :-)

"As Labour unity splinters, the party’s Uriah Heep tendency, including some henchmen of the leader, counsels extreme grovelling, particularly on immigration. Had Mr Miliband heeded earlier calls for more contrition, he would still be delivering a litany of mea culpas ranging from Labour’s alleged destruction of the economy to his habit of eating bacon sandwiches like a starving Doberman. "
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Kieran

Indeed. I have long been asking for a Green Labourites thread, looking at how sticky Green voters are. I suspect that they can be lured back.

It's the green left innit. I voted Green at the Euros, will probably vote LD at GE as I'm in a rural seat, but would vote Lab in a Lab Con marginal. Labour's environmental policy however is a perennial disappointment.
  • Options
    One other quick point on the Greens - they are surely more likely to be squeezed in the GE than UKIP.

Whatever one thinks about Farage he has force of personality and will attract lots of media attention.

Natalie Bennett, not so much.

And I would also expect UKIP to stand in a lot more seats than the Greens and run much better funded constituency campaigns.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kieran said:

In what way is demanding higher fuel prices, causing massive issues among those with insufficient wealth to be able to afford your ideals, in any way, shape or form, "ethical"?

Green supporters just want to impose their worldview on everyone else and hang the consequences
    Green supporters are possibly the only ones who understand sustainable development. And will probably have the last hollow laugh as market capitalism falls apart in wars over scarce resources.

Anyway before I go to work, the irony yesterday of TSE making some derogatory comment about public sector workers being skivers and shirkers whilst posting on PB all the working day was hilarious. As a Public sector worker you won't find me posting during the working day.....
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    kieran said:

One other quick point on the Greens - they are surely more likely to be squeezed in the GE than UKIP.

Whatever one thinks about Farage he has force of personality and will attract lots of media attention.

Natalie Bennett, not so much.

And I would also expect UKIP to stand in a lot more seats than the Greens and run much better funded constituency campaigns.

I think the Greens have a leadership election this year.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Looking at these 2 recent elections' turnout with the thought of the Police&Crime Commissioner elections in mind also,will the trots in the new "Workers Party" at CCHQ continue to support a 50% minimum for strike ballots?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Charles said:

kieran said:

Green supporters are possibly the only ones who understand sustainable development. And will probably have the last hollow laugh as market capitalism falls apart in wars over scarce resources.

Anyway before I go to work, the irony yesterday of TSE making some derogatory comment about public sector workers being skivers and shirkers whilst posting on PB all the working day was hilarious. As a Public sector worker you won't find me posting during the working day.....
    The greens don't believe in any sort of development. They believe in zero growth.

But thanks for your input on the working day. I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to post after you clock off at 5...
  • Options
    @Audrey

Erm, I think you have made a massive logic fail there. Labour are leading the polls, not by much but leading they are. Either the Tories stage a revival in the next 11 months, or they lose. It really is as simple as that.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ‘I’ve always said you have to have proper controls in place on immigration,’ Mr Blair intoned

and 'I've always admired liberal democracy' said Mr Putin.
  • Options
    This is an interesting point in that Mail article:

My wife and I experienced this phenomenon recently in our corner of North London when our son was deprived of a nursery place at primary school because sibling-first admissions favoured Muslims and eastern Europeans, who tend to have large families.

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2641199/Tony-Blairs-rank-hypocrisy-He-threw-open-Britain-millions-immigrations-sneers-Ukip.html
  • Options
    Charles - I perhaps should have been clearer in that Greens will generally self-define more as ethical. They see themselves as caring about the world and society as a whole, not just their own personal interests. I didn't mean they necessarily are more ethical, which is clearly contestable.

My point was that they are more likely than other voters to see Ed in a positive light.

If the Greens have any sense then they will get Caroline Lucas back as Leader. Oh ....
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @BobaFett My desire is to remain an independent observer not a participant.
  • Options
    Boba - this is the issue for the Conservatives. Is it not worrying that in a time when Labour's support has dropped by 5 - 6 pts, they seem not to have benefited whatsoever. There seems to be no sign of Lab to Con switching.

If this remains the case, a big if, then the election will be decided by who consolidates their electoral base better - and stops drift to UKIP, Greens and LDs.

That is a very different electoral dynamic to one we have seen in the past.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    edited May 2014
    Greens appeal to authoritarian mindsets. Like to see themselves as Platonic Guardians.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Charles said:

kieran said:

The oil and coal industries want to impose their worldview on everyone else and hang the consequences.

Am I green-red or red-green? Hard to tell, really.
  • Options

@BobaFett My desire is to remain an independent observer not a participant.

:-) thanks Mike.

• Options
    kieran said:

Boba - this is the issue for the Conservatives. Is it not worrying that in a time when Labour's support has dropped by 5 - 6 pts, they seem not to have benefited whatsoever. There seems to be no sign of Lab to Con switching.

If this remains the case, a big if, then the election will be decided by who consolidates their electoral base better - and stops drift to UKIP, Greens and LDs.

Indeed so - and geography is key. Labour won't give a toss how its traditional support votes in Ruralshire West, where it cannot win. It will be keeping a close eye on Suburb Central and Little City North.
  • Options
    I still have Chris Huhne at 14/1 as Next Lib Dem leader in my portfolio.

Good trading bet right?

I also have Cable at 16/1.
  • Options
    Just to be balanced though - the problem for Labour is keeping together their coalition.

Lab to UKIP switchers are completely different in terms of class and ideology to the Green / LD voters Labour needs.

And a move to the right on immigration for example could alienate as many as it attracts. But without maintaining its working class base Labour risks becoming limited to the 'Yes to AV' coalition.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

kieran said:

Indeed so - and geography is key. Labour won't give a toss how its traditional support votes in Ruralshire West, where it cannot win. It will be keeping a close eye on Suburb Central and Little City North.
    Wither Ed's One Nation?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

a Tory-UKIP ruling coalition come 2015.
    Link?

Or is this more from Project Fear Fib?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

Carnyx said:

a Tory-UKIP ruling coalition come 2015.
    Link?

Or is this more from Project Fear Fib?
    Just the general tenor of discussion on this site. I've certainly revised my views on a Tory Gmt post 2015 upwards even before the Euros, and I would be very surprised if the UKIP MPs did not join in with the Tories. However, it is not so much what I think but the general impression the voters have and I will be very interested to see how that pans out.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, to be fair, the elections did indicate a One Nation result.

Admittedly, it was One Nation under UKIP, but still.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

kieran said:

Wither Ed's One Nation?
    This is FPP. Campaigning resources are scarce so one must use them wisely.
  • Options
    kieran said:

IIRC the drop in labour share in the polls is people going from lab>DK that suggests a few things. Labours offer isn't sufficiently attractive and it's rise from 2010 isn't locked in. The new DK could drift back to Labour or could be a staging post back to whence they originally came. It really remains to be seen.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    O/T - What numpty thought it was a great idea to play a One Day International in Manchester in May.

It is pissing it down.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289

BobaFett said:

kieran said:

Wither Ed's One Nation?
    Withering on the vine.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Does Labour need to throw some red meat to the Green voters?

(Make up your own punchlines!)
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Audrey

Erm, I think you have made a massive logic fail there. Labour are leading the polls, not by much but leading they are. Either the Tories stage a revival in the next 11 months, or they lose. It really is as simple as that.

No politics isn't simplistic. Re-read Rod Crosby's article: all the details are there. We don't have to start dragging in 'Tory revivals' to the equation. They only need to do well enough to secure victory. There is a litany of parties winning General Elections without much love or enthusiasm from the voters so I'm not going to let you deflect the core arguments with talk of 'Tory revival.' All the Conservatives have to demonstrate runs along the lines of: Labour screwed up the economy but we're fixing it and you'd be fools to imperil your jobs and income to them again. Throw in Weird Ed to the equation and this General Election is heading one way. Labour a year out from the General Election are barely if at all ahead. Their position is disastrous by all historic and statistical measures.

But, to reverse the suggestion, if you want to go ahead and back Labour that's up to you. Someone was offering long odds for them winning Newark. Be our guest.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    kieran said:

Just as you would expect more UKIP voters to return to the Tories by the GE, you would also expect Green voters to return to Labour.

Looking at the internals of the Ashcroft poll, for example, it is clear that a large number of people currently backing the Green Party voted Lib Dem in 2010.

Perhaps these people told pollsters they would vote Labour last year, and some of them may well end up doing so in 2015, but as we can see with the long-term decline in the share of the vote won by Labour and the Conservatives, once people lose the habit of voting for the main two parties they often lose it for good.
  • Options

Oh!

Those mysogynist homophobic Tories.

First Lady PM, and now first openly gay leader - and a woman to boot!

If only they'd stick to the script.......

• Options
    I saw a picture in Private Eye.

Sums Ed up does it not?

pic.twitter.com/7rQY33ZDBw
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, to be fair, the elections did indicate a One Nation result.

Admittedly, it was One Nation under UKIP, but still.

We should not read too much into an election that had half the turnout of a general election
  • Options

BobaFett said:

kieran said:

Wither Ed's One Nation?
    It's run off with Dave's Big Society?

• Options
    Yay for STV, we're missing out on the fun of STV whilst we run with FPTP

Yesterday LibDemVoice published the results of the members survey carried out over the last two days, as we reported then we would be making the full results of the final question available. Below is the breakdown for each of the 42 stages, and if you are really interest you can download the ballot file to run through your favourite STV counter (mine is OpenSTV, but it’s chargable) eliminating candidates if you so wish.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/stv-stages-for-a-potential-replacement-leader-40415.html#utm_source=tweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, pissing it down here too. The dog is most displeased.

I almost wrote 'poor Miliband'.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, pissing it down here too. The dog is most displeased.

I almost wrote 'poor Miliband'.

I have tickets to the cricket.

I may need to hail a gondola.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Oh!

Those mysogynist homophobic Tories.

First Lady PM, and now first openly gay leader - and a woman to boot!

If only they'd stick to the script.......

Just need a non white leader for the treble - should imagine the LDs or Ukip will beat them to it mind you..
  • Options

BobaFett said:

@Audrey

No politics isn't simplistic. Re-read Rod Crosby's article: all the details are there. We don't have to start dragging in 'Tory revivals' to the equation. They only need to do well enough to secure victory. There is a litany of parties winning General Elections without much love or enthusiasm from the voters so I'm not going to let you deflect the core arguments with talk of 'Tory revival.' All the Conservatives have to demonstrate runs along the lines of: Labour screwed up the economy but we're fixing it and you'd be fools to imperil your jobs and income to them again. Throw in Weird Ed to the equation and this General Election is heading one way. Labour a year out from the General Election are barely if at all ahead. Their position is disastrous by all historic and statistical measures.

But, to reverse the suggestion, if you want to go ahead and back Labour that's up to you. Someone was offering long odds for them winning Newark. Be our guest.
    You clearly understand neither maths nor psephology. Rod's forecast yesterday was for the Tories to stage a revival, based on what often happens to governments in late term. Should this revival not occur, the Tories lose. It really is that simple.

As for Newark - this is a safe Tory seat and is not a Labour target. If you fancy even a mild Tory revival you can back the Blues at generous prices in seats they currently hold, but which Labour are favourites to take.

Any clearer?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, shame there isn't an enormo-haddock nearby who could give you a lift.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    While both Labour and the Greens may be defined as left ,with the Greens more left wing its a very different kind of leftness. Labour left is unions and industry and Green left is fluffy farmer's markets and hippie communes.
    Not sure there is huge incentive or desire to support each other really certainly amongst their voters. Greens get a lot of support from otherwise lib dems or trendy conservatives
  • Options

Does Labour need to throw some red meat to the Green voters?

(Make up your own punchlines!)

Nut cutlets?
  • Options

kieran said:

Looking at the internals of the Ashcroft poll, for example, it is clear that a large number of people currently backing the Green Party voted Lib Dem in 2010.

Perhaps these people told pollsters they would vote Labour last year, and some of them may well end up doing so in 2015, but as we can see with the long-term decline in the share of the vote won by Labour and the Conservatives, once people lose the habit of voting for the main two parties they often lose it for good.

kieran said:

Yes my guess is that a group of the LD to Lab switchers have now become LD to Green switchers instead. So you are right that they likely have a history of not voting for the main parties.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Labour *will* win them back, but I'm saying they *can* win them back. And indeed I would argue it is as likely they will vote Labour as the Con to UKIP switchers will vote Tory.

Also - it is useful in showing how complex the picture is and therefore difficult to predict.
  • Options
    @Morris

One nation Kippers who got spanked in London and the big city areas where people outnumber sheep.
  • Options

Yesterday LibDemVoice published the results of the members survey carried out over the last two days, as we reported then we would be making the full results of the final question available. Below is the breakdown for each of the 42 stages, and if you are really interest you can download the ballot file to run through your favourite STV counter (mine is OpenSTV, but it’s chargable) eliminating candidates if you so wish.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/stv-stages-for-a-potential-replacement-leader-40415.html#utm_source=tweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

Oh good grief, could you imagine Tower Hamlets operating that system. They'd still be going 3 years hence.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Oh good grief, could you imagine Tower Hamlets operating that system. They'd still be going 3 years hence.
    Under my plans for a Directly Elected Dictator, it would be one poll, nationwide winner under FPTP.

None of this fannying around.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Morris

One nation Kippers who got spanked in London and the big city areas where people outnumber sheep.

You don't get out of London much do you?
  • Options

While both Labour and the Greens may be defined as left ,with the Greens more left wing its a very different kind of leftness. Labour left is unions and industry and Green left is fluffy farmer's markets and hippie communes.
    Not sure there is huge incentive or desire to support each other really certainly amongst their voters. Greens get a lot of support from otherwise lib dems or trendy conservatives

This sounds like the North London *left* and Labour did very well there.

Labour support has changed considerably in the last few decades - becoming more middle class and professional with the support of a lot more fluffy lefties as you put it than before.

Labour lost a lot of support amongst this group over Iraq but did surprisingly well in 2010 with them (which allowed them to get up to 30% from the huge lows of 08 and 09). Labour's vote fell more amongst the working class in 2010 than the middle class.

A lot will have voted LD but given their general dislike of the Tories I think most will vote Labour or Green next time.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Socrates said:

BobaFett said:

@Morris

You don't get out of London much do you?
    Bobafett's casual bigotry against his fellow countrymen and women is quite something isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.