Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling Round Up

13»

Comments

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

30 years ago there were three routes to nurse training: degree courses in a few places, SRN training (3 year course requiring 5 O levels) and SEN training (2 years and with lower academic requirements). Both SRN and SEN training were largely practical and new starters were on the wards after six weeks, then had regular sessions in the classroom each block. My wife was in the SRN system and at the age of 22 had enough practical experience and knowledge to take charge of a Chest Surgery ward on a fairly regular basis. Student nurses were paid by the hospital and got subsidized accommodation.

SEN training ended about twenty years ago, with existing SENs getting conversion courses to SRN. Both are now replaced by graduate nurses. Subsidized accommodation was sold off.

Now there is no route for nurse training short of a degree and A levels. These will get people into other courses, and there is also a loss of the camaraderie and community as well as the cheap accommodation of Nurses Homes. Nursing is now seen as something to be learned in a classroom rather than the bedside, but the same criticism can be made of medical schools.

There are simply too few Universities offering nurse training, and an ageing population, hence the need for imported nurses. Recruitment from Asia, Africa and India is now difficult because of restrictions on work permits, so EU Nurses are in demand.

The nursing shortage is entirely predictable, unless you are a Civil Servant or Academic Nurse Tutor!

Smarmeron said:

@foxinsoxuk

Who controls the funding for nurse training?

Fox... my nurse pal says they now have a 'script' to follow when they meet a new patient. It starts, 'Hello, my name is Nurse X and I'm going to be looking after you for the next X hours.'

Has it really got that bad or is it just that her boss is a complete arse?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Neil said:

God Bless Sked. Just when you thought he couldnt top the apostrophe nonsense along came his letter to the FT pointing out that he and he alone (and not a group of academics) had founded UKIP. He seemed strangely proud that John Major thought he was a d*ck.

He's giving a talk at Manchester University soon, I might go.
    If Sked were still in charge UKIP would be on the same level of support as the English Democrats.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I have found him one of the better natured posters here although I disagree with almost everything he says.
    Sean_F said:

Avery is paid to spin on behalf of CCHQ.

I think they should ask for their money back.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Now I'm no fan of Dave, obv, but the Sun front page really gets my goat.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

George Osborne's cat chauffeur-driven home after getting lost in London

The Chancellor's cat Freya was chauffeur driven back to its Downing Street home after being found roaming the streets of Vauxhall

Vauxhall? Wow, top No.11 staff really are reaching out beyond the Westminster bubble.
    You can get into a lot more trouble in Vauxhall than Westminster. I'm so relieved it comes before, rather than after, Hersham on JohnO's train journey home.
    You're never letting JohnO forget that are you?
    I dont think JohnO will ever forget it. It must be why Dave hasnt done the decent thing and elevated him to the Lords yet.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Richard

Up until 1997 I [Alan Sked, then leader of UKIP] managed to keep UKIP a liberal – with a small 'l' – centre, moderate party. Our membership application form from the time – ah, here it is! [1997 application form he was looking for] – shows how much it has changed."

He hands me the form. It makes for fascinating reading. In 1993, along with backing British withdrawal from the EU, prospective members had to be sympathetic to the following: "It is a non-sectarian, non-racist party with no prejudices against foreigners or lawful minorities of any kind. It does not recognise the legitimacy of the European parliament and will send representatives only to the British parliament in Westminster."

"They got rid of all that after I left," says Sked, who resigned the leadership shortly after the 1997 general election.

Any comment?

Alan Sked is a Heath character who hated the fact he lost control of the party he founded because he disagreed on whether it should send MEPs to Brussels.

His opinion on UKIP is worthless as it is fed by envy and wounded pride. The ban on former BNP members has nothing to do with any carve ups and was, in part, a result of attempts by the BNP to infiltrate UKIP and turn it into another version of themselves. Some of those Bond was happily voting for were expelled from the party for their involvement in that plan.

That said, since I know you have said that you are not interested in facts, only politics, I know you will not be swayed by this argument.
    Richard

I was prepared to give you the benefit of doubt when you asserted that Sked was unreliable due to his reaction to losing the leadership of the party he founded.

But Sked has now produced documentary evidence of the "non-racist" membership requirements of the party under his leadership. It is now over to Farage to explain why the current application form for UKIP no longer contains the paragraph quoted above.

Under Sked regardless of your view of his current motives for criticising Farage, the party was:

• non-racist
    • non-homophobic
    • non-sexist
    • opposed on principle to taking money from an organisation it sought to dissolve

Under Farage, UKIP has become:

• racist in tone and targetting
    • homophobic in the public statements of even its most recent elected representatives (see Councillor on Clare Balding et al and Scottish MEP on same sex marriage)
    • sexist
    • troughing on allowances

UKIP under Sked is a party I could have voted for.

UKIP under Farage is a party which I abhor.
    Under Sked, UKIP was a party I'd never heard of.
    May I confess that I am not surprised, Ninoinoz.

But beware, Farage has taken the party to Funny Farm not Farm Street.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 33s

Last week The Sun was bashing Farage at every opportunity. This week it's apparently decided UKIP is largely right

http://twitpic.com/e4v7x4

They alway seem to be pro UKIP when I read it, then just a fortnight before the EUs they turned all lefty

Tom Newton Dunn trying and failing to get his Dad re elected probably

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    Neil said:

Neil said:

The Chancellor's cat Freya was chauffeur driven back to its Downing Street home after being found roaming the streets of Vauxhall

Vauxhall? Wow, top No.11 staff really are reaching out beyond the Westminster bubble.
    You can get into a lot more trouble in Vauxhall than Westminster. I'm so relieved it comes before, rather than after, Hersham on JohnO's train journey home.
    I dont think JohnO will ever forget it. It must be why Dave hasnt done the decent thing and elevated him to the Lords yet.
    It is a scandal.

Perhaps I should do a thread on making JohnO and Mike peers.

Dave does read PB after all
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

It is a scandal.

There is a shortage of Green peers as well, you know ;)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Smarmeron said:

@TOPPING
    Why should a business train people when it is cheaper to import them? Why should the same business pay a living wage when they get their labour subsidized by the state (tax payers)?
    The answer lies in profit, and profit is everything, above even social cohesion and rationality.

Golly, Comrade (I may call you Comrade, may I not), I thought you defined yourself as a communist. Those are the questions that troubling supposedly "far-right" old curmudgeons At least I heard them in three different discussions amongst the "great and the good" in recent weeks and if you actually listen to what Mr. Charles says on here you will hear them again.

Perhaps, the Old Families and the oiks at the bottom have a lot in common and a lot to say to each other. If some one could tie money together with small c social conservatism they might be on to a winner. Never happen though, except there was this bloke called Disraeli and , gosh, he did just that and called it One Nation Conservatism.

NB: Disraeli ignored the 19th century equivalent of the Guardianistas and spurned the idea of of the centre ground.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

It is a scandal.

Of course.

Anyone else wanting to make the ennoblement thread, I can add your name to the list for £500 per name.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

It is a scandal.

Doesn't a 'shortage' require a need for such peers?

I kid, I kid. The more the merrier I say, especially in the upper chamber.

• Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

It is a scandal.

Of course.

Anyone else wanting to make the ennoblement thread, I can add your name to the list for £500 per name.
    This is where it all started to go wrong for David Lloyd George you know.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

It is a scandal.

Of course.

In case the rozzers read my last post, I was joking.

To everyone else *nudge nudge* *wink wink*
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2014
    kle4 said:

RodCrosby said:

More than a third of the population of England and Wales is living in an area dominated by one political party after the latest elections.

Research by the Electoral Reform Society found that after last week’s poll there are 111 councils where at least 75 per cent of councillors hail from a single party, an increase of 16.

Almost 19 million people live in “one-party” areas.
    The councils are roughly evenly split between Labour and the Conservatives, with three Liberal Democrat strongholds.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4101784.ece

If Westminster FPTP is a scandal, local FPTP is a disgrace, especially the antediluvian bloc vote.

The greatest strategic error the LDs made was overlooking this and going for the AV referendum.

If they'd said "OK, we'll leave Westminster reform for another day, but give us STV now for the locals (just like Scotland and NI)" the Tories would probably just have shrugged and said "Where would you like us to sign?"
    In the unlikely event of another coalition situation in 2015, hopefully they will take note of that suggestion.

What odds some electoral reform in the event of another hung parliament, in your estimation? LDs would probably find it hard to be taken seriously as the faces of any electoral reform proposal as it would patently be to their own benefit (true or not before, with a more significant number of MPs and without having suddenly lost possibly half their number, it was easier to appear merely principles on the subject), so Labour or the Tories would have to be genuinely enthusiastic for it.

The Tories I cannot see being enthusiastic for any change - they were so stridently for FPTP that switching over would look like nothing more than doing so for naked political advantage, and as for Labour, I doubt they'd want to open a can of worms like this, though would perhaps be more amenable. And depending on the suggestion, they could get UKIP on side, which would be helpful.
    High, since it's in everyone's benefit.

Some councils are monoliths with literally no opposition. Knowsley, etc. There is a high correlation between corruption, scandal and inefficiency, and lack of opposition.

Local parties atrophy and die when they lose any chance of representation. STV would at least offer the Tories hope in places like Liverpool and Manchester, likewise Labour in true blue areas.

From small councillor acorns, growth may occur, making parliamentary elections a bit more competitive.

For example, despite initial misgivings, STV in Scotland seems to have given a bit of new life to the Tories north of the border.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @HurstLlama

Call me anything you please, But I am interested in what works for society rather than a set dogma.
    If you travel far enough left, you can see over the shoulder of those on the right. ;-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    RodCrosby said:

kle4 said:

RodCrosby said:

More than a third of the population of England and Wales is living in an area dominated by one political party after the latest elections.

Research by the Electoral Reform Society found that after last week’s poll there are 111 councils where at least 75 per cent of councillors hail from a single party, an increase of 16.

Almost 19 million people live in “one-party” areas.
    The councils are roughly evenly split between Labour and the Conservatives, with three Liberal Democrat strongholds.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4101784.ece

If Westminster FPTP is a scandal, local FPTP is a disgrace, especially the antediluvian bloc vote.

The greatest strategic error the LDs made was overlooking this and going for the AV referendum.

If they'd said "OK, we'll leave Westminster reform for another day, but give us STV now for the locals (just like Scotland and NI)" the Tories would probably just have shrugged and said "Where would you like us to sign?"
    In the unlikely event of another coalition situation in 2015, hopefully they will take note of that suggestion.

es on the subject), so Labour or the Tories would have to be genuinely enthusiastic for it.

The Tories I cannot see being enthusiastic for any change - they were so stridently for FPTP that switching over would look like nothing more than doing so for naked political advantage, and as for Labour, I doubt they'd want to open a can of worms like this, though would perhaps be more amenable. And depending on the suggestion, they could get UKIP on side, which would be helpful.
    High, since it's in everyone's benefit.

Some councils are monoliths with literally no opposition. Knowsley, etc. There is a high correlation between corruption, scandal and inefficiency, and lack of opposition.

Local parties atrophy and die when they lose any chance of representation. STV would at least offer the Tories hope in places like Liverpool and Manchester, likewise Labour in true blue areas.

From small council acorns, growth may occur, making parliamentary elections a bit more competitive.

For example, despite initial misgivings, STV in Scotland seems to have given a bit of new life to the Tories north of the border.
    Hope remains then, although just because something is in everyone's benefit doesn't make it guaranteed or even likely, unfortunately. Oh well, first step is actually getting people to see it is in their benefit I suppose.

Night all.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Good God, Sean, I would never work for the pittance paid by CCHQ.

I am on full EU Allowances.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

It is a scandal.

Of course.

Surely it is: *innocent face* ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

It is a scandal.

Of course.

Surely it is: *innocent face* ;-)
    Of course.

I've just realised, Neil compared me to a Liberal

I've never been so insulted on PB, and I've been accused of being a racist and the possessor of the worst taste in music.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Vauxhall always brings back happy memories, a contemporary of mine from university once said

"I wanted to work for the SIS, but then I remembered they're based in Vauxhall, so said no, as I didn't fancy commuting to Vauxhall"
    During the Nabavi's time in Vauxhall the SIS would have been in Westminster Bridge Road just South of the junction with Kennington Road.

My suspicion is that the Nabavi was working in New Covent Garden Market, a far better place for an undercover intelligence operation.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    isam said:

Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 33s

Last week The Sun was bashing Farage at every opportunity. This week it's apparently decided UKIP is largely right

http://twitpic.com/e4v7x4

They alway seem to be pro UKIP when I read it, then just a fortnight before the EUs they turned all lefty

Tom Newton Dunn trying and failing to get his Dad re elected probably

Yes, it was all a bit weird. Now, they'll be back to Poles eating swans and gypsies claiming benefits.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Ladbrokes 5/6 the pair in LD vs UKIP GE 2015

Hills 11/8 the Kip

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/match-betp
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

RodCrosby said:

Would be interesting to calculate if the big increases in turnout in London and Scotland saved Labour from the award of the wooden spoon in the Euros...

Wonder if my aunty had balls she would be my uncle? Wonder what would happen iIf B came before A in the alphabet?If they stopped all blue eyed men from voting UKIP would have come last?etc etc

Blimey, a year out and you are already getting childish.
    Not been banned on here recently Nige old bean.....good for you.
    No, because I have been ignoring your inane drivel.

Apart from tonight, obviously.
    *** Doffs Cap ***
  • Options
    isam said:

Ladbrokes 5/6 the pair in LD vs UKIP GE 2015

Hills 11/8 the Kip

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/match-betp

In June 2012 when the market was made they bet

1/10 LD
    5/1 UKIP
  • Options
    Thank you, OL.

You are herewith promoted from the rank [of] corporeal to Major!

I have found him one of the better natured posters here although I disagree with almost everything he says.

Sean_F said:

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Smarmeron said:

@HurstLlama

Call me anything you please, But I am interested in what works for society rather than a set dogma.
    If you travel far enough left, you can see over the shoulder of those on the right. ;-)

"I am interested in what works for society..."

I have never met a gentleman that wasn't. Trouble is so many people have become rich recently that they start thinking of themselves as gentlemen when they ain't. Start at Fred Goodwin and work your way along - scum of the earth, the lot of them. Not saying the old families are better, but they do have a sense of place in history (which is why they are still here) and a sense of stewardship rather than immediate benefit which many in the public sector could do well to emulate.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    AveryLP said:

Sam

The paragraph bolded above forms part of the founding application for membership in UKIP. It is a printed contemporaneous document.

Applicants for membership in UKIP today no longer have to sign up to the values stated in the paragraph.

How ever can Farage "rebut this nonsense"? It is documentary fact.

Having just checked some Conservative application forms they also are missing all of these terms and conditions though they do go into great depth on how you can give them money.

Using your own argument as they do not actively say they do not want homophobic, misogynistic, racist, neo nazi's in the party then I guess we can only assume the conservatives welcome them with open arms as long as they bring an open wallet.

This is your entire argument I believe. UKIP no longer say they don't want these types therefore they must be welcome?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    UKIP are 20/1 to get most votes in the GE!

A 4.76% chance?

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-votes
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

AveryLP said:

Sam

The paragraph bolded above forms part of the founding application for membership in UKIP. It is a printed contemporaneous document.

Applicants for membership in UKIP today no longer have to sign up to the values stated in the paragraph.

How ever can Farage "rebut this nonsense"? It is documentary fact.

Having just checked some Conservative application forms they also are missing all of these terms and conditions though they do go into great depth on how you can give them money.

Using your own argument as they do not actively say they do not want homophobic, misogynistic, racist, neo nazi's in the party then I guess we can only assume the conservatives welcome them with open arms as long as they bring an open wallet.

This is your entire argument I believe. UKIP no longer say they don't want these types therefore they must be welcome?

The founders of UKIP were no doubt aware that arguments for leaving the EU would centre on opposition to the freedom of movement of labour. And therefore touch the troubled subject of immigration.

That is the reason Sked sought to filter out from UKIP membership any applicant who saw the party as a vehicle for legitimising racist views.

The interesting fact is not that the 'non-racist' paragraph was included in the application form but that it was removed after discussions of an electoral alliance with the BNP and the decision to accept EU funding by participating in a parliament which the party sought to have abolished.

The change is a material signpost towards a new direction taken by the party in 1997.

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    AveryLP said:

Farm Street?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

Farm Street?
    From Wiki

The Church of the Immaculate Conception, Farm Street, also known as Farm Street Church, is a Roman Catholic parish church run by the Society of Jesus in Mayfair, central London. Its main entrance is in Farm Street, though it can also be accessed from the adjacent Mount Street Gardens. Sir Simon Jenkins, in his book England's Thousand Best Churches, described the church as "Gothic Revival at its most sumptuous".

See: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/The_Immaculate_Conception,_Farm_Street,_London_W1_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1536039.jpg

Along with Brompton Oratory, the two churches are the chosen places of regular worship by London's Catholic aristocracy.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

The founders of UKIP were no doubt aware that arguments for leaving the EU would centre on opposition to the freedom of movement of labour. And therefore touch the troubled subject of immigration.

That is the reason Sked sought to filter out from UKIP membership any applicant who saw the party as a vehicle for legitimising racist views.

I hate to be the person to point this out, but most people in Europe are White.

You are starting to make yourself look like an idiot as well as a sore loser.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AveryLP said:

Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

Farm Street?
    From Wiki

The Church of the Immaculate Conception, Farm Street, also known as Farm Street Church, is a Roman Catholic parish church run by the Society of Jesus in Mayfair, central London. Its main entrance is in Farm Street, though it can also be accessed from the adjacent Mount Street Gardens. Sir Simon Jenkins, in his book England's Thousand Best Churches, described the church as "Gothic Revival at its most sumptuous".

See: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/The_Immaculate_Conception,_Farm_Street,_London_W1_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1536039.jpg

Along with Brompton Oratory, the two churches are the chosen places of regular worship by London's Catholic aristocracy.
    It is also used as a pick-up point for gays who find gay night clubs too noisy for their taste.
    farmstreet.org.uk/LGBTCatholicsWestminster.php
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

I am not sure I follow your logic, Nino.

It appears to be moving in mysterious ways.

• Options
    Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

That is because the conservatives like the lib dems fully support unlimited white european type immigration but they would rather keep those of a different hue in their place.

• Options
    Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

Farm Street?
    From Wiki

It is also used as a pick-up point for gays who find gay night clubs too noisy for their taste.
    farmstreet.org.uk/LGBTCatholicsWestminster.php
    See! Even God, the Holy Father and the Cardinal Archbishop are not kippers!

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I do agree with Avery. UKIP = BNP lite [ whatever Mr Mackenzie of Croydon thinks ].

I know Sked personally. He was the warden of the halls of residence I was staying. Also, my friend's tutor.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I do agree with Avery. UKIP = BNP lite [ whatever Mr Mackenzie of Croydon thinks ].

I know Sked personally. He was the warden of the halls of residence I was staying. Also, my friend's tutor.

As you support a party that encompassed at one time or another Phil Woolas, ken livingstone, Luftur Rahman and Diane Abbot your credibility in the "I can spot a racist or homophobe and denounce them" stakes are built on quicksand

• Options
    edited May 2014
    ZenPagan said:

surbiton said:

As you support a party that encompassed at one time or another Phil Woolas, ken livingstone, Luftur Rahman and Diane Abbot your credibility in the "I can spot a racist or homophobe and denounce them" stakes are built on quicksand

Hypocrites and self satisfied liberal bigots.. leave them to fester in their own self righteousness

Theyre yesterdays papers/tomorrows fish and chip wrappers
  • Options
    isam said:

ZenPagan said:

surbiton said:

Hypocrites and self satisfied liberal bigots.. leave them to fester in their own self righteousness

Sam

You are taking the adulation of your leader too far.

It's "they're" not "theyre".

• Options
    edited May 2014
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

ZenPagan said:

surbiton said:

Sam

You are taking the adulation of your leader too far.

It's "they're" not "theyre".

It's a fair cop, you got me bang to rights
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Which party will receive the most votes in the next UK General Election?

Lib Dems 5/6 (Lad)
    UKIP 11/8 (Hills)
This discussion has been closed.