Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling Round Up

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling Round Up

Those saying “May change my mind” 2 weeks before election: 18% (1992); now nearly half 45% (2010) #KingsIpsosMORI pic.twitter.com/vZoCGVpcNa

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited May 2014
    First.

The problem with the Ashcroft poll is that it adds up to 85%. Even with others there is a significant DK.

That is why both the Labour and Tory figure is misleading.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited May 2014
    Has he forgotten some of the attempts to remove Gordon Brown?

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 47m

I've covered quite a few leadership coups in my time but few as cack- handed as the attempt to unseat Nick Clegg
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Big difference between Ashcroft (29/31) and Populus (34/36).

Who to believe?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,974
    Am i cracking up or is that last table 4 years old? Whats the particular relevance now?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Rod

What are you offering that Labour will be -8.4 behind the Conservatives in vote share for the
    2015 GE ?
    You were wrong regarding Labour if I remember correctly on euros results night.

From your analysis it is looking like Labour 31% Conservatives 39.4% ?
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

Has he forgotten some of the attempts to remove Gordon Brown?

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 47m

I've covered quite a few leadership coups in my time but few as cack- handed as the attempt to unseat Nick Clegg

Normally, when there is a coup, there is a prize at stake. Something people actually desire.

• Options
    Next said:

Who to believe?

Mike keeps on telling me to always watch the share of the vote, not the leads ('cause that's what Sir Bob Worcester kept on telling him on the early days of PB)

So on that basis, Ashcroft is out of line with most of the other pollsters, as they have Con and Lab in the mid/early 30s
  • Options
    Next said:

Who to believe?

Ashcroft figures add up to 85%. Significant Don't Knows.
  • Options
    isam said:

Am i cracking up or is that last table 4 years old? Whats the particular relevance now?

Look at the trend from 1992 to 2010.

• Options
    Yorkcity said:

Rod

What are you offering that Labour will be -8.4 behind the Conservatives in vote share for the
    2015 GE ?

What did the Sage Rod predict for the Euro's ?
  • Options

isam said:

I see that but why are we talking about it now rather than in 2010?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    I predict the 2010 election will result in a hung Parliament!!
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @isam

Because political disengagement is showing up in voters as well as non voters?
  • Options

I predict the 2010 election will result in a hung Parliament!!

Can you look into your crystal ball carefully and come up with the number of seats for each party ? I will then go to Betfair.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2014
    Looks like one can prove anything you like with polls, it all depends on the way the questions are put and when the questions are put.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Maybe Clegg was trying to topple himself but nobody was up for it.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Because more and more people are undecided and looking at alternative parties, you may not have noticed, but for the first time in over a century, a party other than the Tories or Lab finished first in a nationwide election.
  • Options
    Is the Populus poll a 2014 or 2010 one?

Because i would prefer to compare the Trend since 1992
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    MrJones said:

Maybe Clegg was trying to topple himself but nobody was up for it.

I got the impression watching Farron that he does want the Lib Dems to lose badly. So badly, that the party can turn to no one else other than him. He remains untainted by office. No Tory molecule on him.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Because more and more people are undecided and looking at alternative parties, you may not have noticed, but for the first time in over a century, a party other than the Tories or Lab finished first in a nationwide election.
    Wake up and smell the coffee everyone. UKIP is here and here to stay!
  • Options

2014, It's ok, I'm here to educate people like you that don't understand the polling.

Someone's got to do it.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

I felt the tremor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fk6syQ7iY
  • Options
    Surbiton

"Rod C

Maarsh said

Lord Ashcroft EP Exit Poll: 1st UKIP 29%, 2nd Conservatives 24%, 3rd Labour 21%, 4th Lib Dems 8%. Conservatives beat Labour to 2nd place

UNS

25/21/17/2

disastrous for Labour, if true. Quids in for me, also...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Correct. 14% at GE.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

isam said:

isam said:

This is the polticians' dilemna. As they have interfered more in daily life they have set expectations at a level where they can only disappoint. So when they inevitably fail voters go on the search for something better and the next batch of polticans enter the promises auction.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    John Curtice on Scottish EU polls vs outcome:

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/05/implications-of-the-euro-result-in-scotland/

....SNP support was apparently overestimated while that for the Conservatives was underestimated.......doubtless some will ask whether the discrepancy is a sign that some polls at least might be overestimating Yes support too.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

You thought that in 2009 when you got 16% of the vote at the comedy elections. Then a year later, at the one that mattered, you got 3%.

UKIP is here to stay like the Monster Raving Loony Party. Many of the same supporters.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

Rod

2015 GE ?

I didn't predict anything. I simply identified 7/1 as a good bet on Labour coming third.

I was out by the humongous total of 1.5%.

My reputation is in tatters, I guess...
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Surbiton

"Rod C

Maarsh said

Lord Ashcroft EP Exit Poll: 1st UKIP 29%, 2nd Conservatives 24%, 3rd Labour 21%, 4th Lib Dems 8%. Conservatives beat Labour to 2nd place

UNS

25/21/17/2

The Dr.Who polling machine did not work. Not enough grease.
  • Options

2014, It's ok, I'm here to educate people like you that don't understand the polling.

Someone's got to do it.
    Thanks whats the trend between 2010 and 2014 on undecided please
  • Options

Someone's got to do it.
    Thanks whats the trend between 2010 and 2014 on undecided please
    You're going to have to wait until April 2015, as the polling refers to the period two weeks before a General Election
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

Surbiton

"Rod C

Maarsh said

UNS

25/21/17/2

Rod was obviously not quids in, hope he does not use pay day loans .

• Options
    Thanks glad I asked will you let us know in 2019 then so you can educate us.
  • Options

No, I'll let you know in April 2015.

We should add dates to polling as the things you don't understand.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

Rod

2015 GE ?

I didn't predict anything. I simply identified 7/1 as a good bet on Labour coming third.

ROFL.

Last time you upset the righties ahead of the GE by giving them uncomfortable news. This time the lefties have you persona non grata.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2014

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/05/implications-of-the-euro-result-in-scotland/

....SNP support was apparently overestimated while that for the Conservatives was underestimated.......doubtless some will ask whether the discrepancy is a sign that some polls at least might be overestimating Yes support too.

Is Curtice suggesting that there is a climate of political intimidation in Scotland that is encouraging No supporters to keep their thoughts to themselves?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

Rod

2015 GE ?

ROFL.

Last time you upset the righties ahead of the GE by giving them uncomfortable news. This time the lefties have you persona non grata.
    Why is it people get so upset by predictions they dont like? Just challenge the person to a bet, if theyre not game you know theyre trolling.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke

Not persona non grata, but I am unconvinced that a mathematical model will necessarily stand up to this coming election.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

Surbiton

"Rod C

Maarsh said

UNS

25/21/17/2

I hope you noticed the "if true".

And, btw, I'm a lender, not a borrower...
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Yorkcity said:

surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

Surbiton

"Rod C

Maarsh said

UNS

25/21/17/2

Yorkcity said:

Surbiton

"Rod C

Maarsh said

UNS

25/21/17/2

Are you being deliberately dim? Your quote is Rod' s response to a spoof exit survey. It had nothing to do with his own betting tip, which fell about 1.5% short of coming off.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @Smarmeron

I think you're a welcome addition to the state, but can I suggest you try a new username? Even as someone that dislikes Cameron, I find it just diminishes your credibility. It comes across like the people that use "Bliar", but as it begins every one of your posts even well-written posts are affected by it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

You thought that in 2009 when you got 16% of the vote at the comedy elections. Then a year later, at the one that mattered, you got 3%.

UKIP is here to stay like the Monster Raving Loony Party. Many of the same supporters.

Could have been worse I suppose. They could have followed your lead and voted for a racist party.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Labour have a comfortable lead and will win the election
    Ok, the lead is a little smaller but Labour will win the elections
    Ok, a poll shows neck and neck but this time it's as close as the Tories get and Lab will win
    OK, we've had crossover but Lab will win and crossover won't establish itself....

Guess what comes next?

That's why the usual suspects are posting like Ed is already in number 10. The dream is nicer than the obvious trend.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

Rod

2015 GE ?

ROFL.

Well in the next cycle, I must try and add the LDs to the pitchfork and torch mob after my hide...
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke

Not persona non grata, but I am unconvinced that a mathematical model will necessarily stand up to this coming election.

well so be it. Rod at least puts forward a prediction with a logic behind it. Those disagreeing with him have yet to explain or indeed put forward their own prediction.
  • Options
    Will it cause a metaphysical crisis if I don't know what happens if I exclude the don't knows?
  • Options
    @Socrates

I made that name up on the spur of the moment while trying to work out if I was banned, or the changeover to different board systems had fritzed my old account.
  • Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Hows our bet going Bondi?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JohnRentoul: YouGov forced choice: "Con govt led by Cam" 4pt lead over "Lab govt led by EdM" (ptly bc UKIP voters break 2-1). http://t.co/l0zwuDB0fF
  • Options
    Pakistan remaining a beacon of progress:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/pakistani-woman-stoned-death
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Is Curtice suggesting that there is a climate of political intimidation in Scotland that is encouraging No supporters to keep their thoughts to themselves?
    I might comment, but were I to do so, my experience has been that I'd be roundly abused.....

• Options
    I did Rod

Any ways back to your thread today.

I asked earlier what are you offering that Labour are -8.4 behind the Conservatives in vote share 2015 GE.
    So for example it would be 31% Labour 39.4 Conservative?
  • Options

Thanks Education, Education, Education that's what we want.

What does "add dates to polling as the things you don't understand" actually mean?

Is it even a proper sentance?

When is OGH back by the way?
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke

I am basing the feeling on an increase in the number of variables that have been added to the mix. Rod may well be right, it just happens that I disagree.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I did Rod

I asked earlier what are you offering that Labour are -8.4 behind the Conservatives in vote share 2015 GE.

It would be rather arrogant to bet on my own models. I'll take my chances on the established markets, thank-you.
  • Options
    Bearing in mind that saying 'Lab to lose in 2015' based on the outcome of the locals etc would seem counter intuitive to the average viewer as they were ahead on the night, one ought to take into account that 'Labour are not doing well enough' is code for the same from the pro psephs.
    Just 11 and a half more months of monkey poo fights and we can start all over again.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Socrates said:

@Smarmeron

I think you're a welcome addition to the state, but can I suggest you try a new username? Even as someone that dislikes Cameron, I find it just diminishes your credibility. It comes across like the people that use "Bliar", but as it begins every one of your posts even well-written posts are affected by it.

Well said, same as Bruin... just lacks humour.

Just read the Dan Hodges piece too. A bit rubbish tonight; sometimes he tries to hard to kick Ed Miliband, looking for angles where none really exist. Hodges is better when he gets juicy quotes off Shadow Cabinet members and gives his take on the intra-Labour rivalries and splits.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    edited May 2014
    surbiton said:

Next said:

Who to believe?

Ashcroft figures add up to 85%. Significant Don't Knows.
    No, Others. SNP 3%, PC 1%, Green 7%, BNP 2%, other Others 4%. It has increased from 11% in his first weekly poll. In comparison the total Others vote in the EP election was 16.3%. He seems to be picking up a bigger effect from the Euros than other pollsters although some of those are showing 9-11% and the last MORI was 15%. (GE2010 was 6.7%)

• Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Could have been worse I suppose. They could have followed your lead and voted for a racist party.
    If they voted UKIP they certainly did vote for a racist party.

The BNP in blazers.

• Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Check your mail.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited May 2014
    Completely off-topic: Syria. Obama steps in.

Stories have it Obama is due to publicly announce an increase in support for Syrian insurgents. Whilst he has a reputation for dithering of the first order on the subject this time he's apparently serious and certainly its a first that hes reportedly going to stand up and say it on Wednesday.

Question is, why now? In essence its years late, when things were a lot more clear cut on the insurgent structure. Certainly it could be cynically designed to keep things going in the chaotic country but the real focus, I suspect, is in the South.

Anyone who has followed my posts in recent months (no yawning at the back) may remember that I mentioned US & Jordanian supported insurgents in the South and, more significantly that tension on the Israeli/Jordanian borders with Syria was very high. In the South Assad has next to no radar air-defence screen, he hasn't for ages. It is perhaps no co-incidence that Obama's supposed announcement follows increasing Israeli airforce incursions across the border, flying without interference and, potentially creating a defacto no -fly for Assad's airforce.

The timing, could be critical in another way. Despite reports to the contrary, Assad isn't exactly winning but, significantly, has secured the strategic corridor which is central to his survival map. The insurgents, with the exception of the Southern border region, haven't made noticeable headway in a while so a timely intervention in the insurgent favour (we await to see if it is of any actual usefulness) creates a new threat.

Its also less of a distance from the Jordanian border to Damascus.
  • Options
    @Y0kel

Thanks.
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Check your mail.
    Checked it and I agree with what you wrote; but I sent you the same answer 2 weeks ago and never got a reply, thats why I'm asking
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,108
    Blair - UKIP 'not the answer to 21st century issues. "You look underneath that UKIP facade and you see something pretty nasty and unpleasant," he told BBC Radio 4.

He was spot on on the LDs though. "Mr Blair praised the Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg for his 'leadership' in recent years but said the Lib Dems' poor performance in the polls was 'nothing to do with Europe'. "I don't want to damage him by saying this, but over the past few years he has actually shown quite a lot of leadership and courage.

"But the problem they have is very simple. They fought the 2010 election on a platform significantly to the left of Labour and then ended up in a Conservative government with a platform significantly to the right of Labour... that is the problem the Lib Dems have and there is not really a cure that."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27585260
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Check your mail.
    Checked it and I agree with what you wrote; but I sent you the same answer 2 weeks ago and never got a reply, thats why I'm asking
    Can you resend the reply? I can't see it.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,318
    Interesting development with this Vince-disowning-Oakeshott thing. What's the most likely possibility?

Vince orchestrated it but got cold feet when he saw how everyone was rallying behind Clegg.

Oakeshott over-keen and went ahead without his master's express permission.

Vince's patronage of Oakeshott was always vastly exaggerated anyway - guy's a bit of a fantasist.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    HYUFD said:

He was spot on on the LDs though. "Mr Blair praised the Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg for his 'leadership' in recent years but said the Lib Dems' poor performance in the polls was 'nothing to do with Europe'. "I don't want to damage him by saying this, but over the past few years he has actually shown quite a lot of leadership and courage.

"But the problem they have is very simple. They fought the 2010 election on a platform significantly to the left of Labour and then ended up in a Conservative government with a platform significantly to the right of Labour... that is the problem the Lib Dems have and there is not really a cure that."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27585260

I am amazed to find myself in agreement with Mr Blair. What strange places the world of politics takes us sometimes.

• Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

The BNP in blazers.

Nope. You were the only one stupid enough to vote for a party made up of former BNP members and their fans.

You really should be ashamed but I am guessing you are not. I wonder what that says about you?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    Comparing polling "a year before the election" to the actual result does not necessarily apply now since in previous election cycles there was no fixed term and governments could pick an election date to suit themselves.
  • Options
    Yokel It also coincides with his announcement that 9-10,000 US troops would stay in Afghanistan until 2016, something supported by both candidates to succeed Karzai in next month's Afghan presidential run-off. I doubt he will be sending any ground troops to Syria, for which there would be huge US public and Congress opposition, nor even providing planes for a no-fly zone, though he may do it through the Israelis as you say
  • Options

Thanks Education, Education, Education that's what we want.

What does "add dates to polling as the things you don't understand" actually mean?

Is it even a proper sentance?

When is OGH back by the way?
    Next month.

Don't worry, I've got a few the Tories are doomed pieces to go up, but I've got one you'll definitely enjoy tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options
    Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 24s

Lib Dem wag: "Typical Oakeshott, pound shop Machiavelli."
  • Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

The BNP in blazers.

Nope. You were the only one stupid enough to vote for a party made up of former BNP members and their fans.

You really should be ashamed but I am guessing you are not. I wonder what that says about you?
    Whilst I agree with you about AIFE, how do you feel about UKIP actively recruiting "Decent" BNPers?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

No, he's completely missing the point that Conservatives tend to turn out more in low-turnout elections (like the Euros) then in a high-turnout vote like the referendum will be.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    edited May 2014
    Couple of interesting neologisms flying around in the wake of the Euros both of which are mildly insulting:

"The liberal elite" has been around for a long time on the net, but is getting mainstream traction now that Farage is using at as a weapon. Very difficult for the politically correct at the top to counter. I expect a number will visit George's elocutionist for some reverse ferret training to appeal to blue collar and working class voters. Indeed I see Nick Palmer has started dropping his aitches as he types on here. Getting some practice in. But it's not going to work. Just looks inauthentic.

And "the left behind" is the expression that mainstream politicians seem to be adopting to describe UKIP voters. Again, it's a bit insulting. And insulting UKIP voters doesn't work. Just hardens the core. And besides, UKIP voters appear to me to be early adopters if anything. Not at all left behind. Out there in front in rejecting the "legacy parties" and winning.

• Options

Comparing polling "a year before the election" to the actual result does not necessarily apply now since in previous election cycles there was no fixed term and governments could pick an election date to suit themselves.

4/5 years since 1974. Fixed Term Act makes little practical difference...
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Check your mail.
    Can you resend the reply? I can't see it.
    I received your proposal via @rcs1000. I sent my answer by return on 11th may also via @rcs1000 as I haven't got your direct e-mail address. Please ask him to send it on to you.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT

I trust Cameron because he is an Old Etonian.

Etonians never lie.

Paulines are less reliable except when it comes to numbers. On anything to do with figures they can be trusted without question.

It's MancUNIans who are altogether a bit dodgy and unreliable.
  • Options
    So the results of last weeks locals was
    LAB 36
    TORIES 26
    BNP in suits 16
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited May 2014
    Y0kel said:

Completely off-topic: Syria. Obama steps in.

Stories have it Obama is due to publicly announce an increase in support for Syrian insurgents. Whilst he has a reputation for dithering of the first order on the subject this time he's apparently serious and certainly its a first that hes reportedly going to stand up and say it on Wednesday.

Question is, why now? In essence its years late, when things were a lot more clear cut on the insurgent structure. Certainly it could be cynically designed to keep things going in the chaotic country but the real focus, I suspect, is in the South.

[ snip ]

Why now? To put pressure on Russia?
  • Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

The BNP in blazers.

Whilst I agree with you about AIFE, how do you feel about UKIP actively recruiting "Decent" BNPers?
    UKIP have a policy - unchanged - that no former BNP member can join the party.

We cannot account for who vote for the party, anymore than any other party, only who we allow in and unlike any of the other parties UKIP have a clear ban on anyone who has been a BNP member.

Bond would apparently rather vote for the ex-BNP members and the racists who were kicked out of UKIP.

• Options
    @msmithsonpb The final vote tally from May 22 locals is a tad different from how it was reported on night. See chart pic.twitter.com/JpcK5wGehG
  • Options
    I think this is worth repeating:

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO #VOTE #UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP IN #EUROPEAN #ELECTIONS pic.twitter.com/Nvkg3w2JZR

— gav (@gavtheukip) May 22, 2014
  • Options
    edited May 2014

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

The BNP in blazers.

We cannot account for who vote for the party, anymore than any other party, only who we allow in and unlike any of the other parties UKIP have a clear ban on anyone who has been a BNP member.

Bond would apparently rather vote for the ex-BNP members and the racists who were kicked out of UKIP.

Disaffected, frustrated voters that voted BNP as there was no where else to go are different to ex BNP types joining.

Morrissey wrote a good song about the former when he still wrote decent songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glrYDRz5BDs

• Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

The BNP in blazers.

Understood
  • Options

I didnt know about the ban on former BNP members. Definitely gone up in my estimation
  • Options
    kle4 Indeed, I certainly don't agree with everything he did, but he remains the sharpest observer of the political scene around, as he showed in 'A Journey' and the one with the best idea of what makes the British voters tick
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    @isam can't get the quote to work but I noticed last night you mentioned UKIP = 14% at 2015 GE. Is that still your view?

If so then you can coax me out of my pb virginity by having a bet at 10p/basis point struck at 10% of GE2015 vote share for UKIP. so if they poll 11% I owe you £10 and if they poll 9% you owe me £10 etc.

I couldn't care less if there are better or worse odds out there for the same result it just seemed a fun bet for us. You know my view is for your lot (assuming you haven't followed your heart by then to join the Tories) to poll 3-5% so that is about right, payoff-wise.
  • Options

@msmithsonpb The final vote tally from May 22 locals is a tad different from how it was reported on night. See chart pic.twitter.com/JpcK5wGehG

If R&T alter their NEVs, can someone let me know?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    MikeK said:

I think this is worth repeating:

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO #VOTE #UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP UKIP IN #EUROPEAN #ELECTIONS pic.twitter.com/Nvkg3w2JZR

— gav (@gavtheukip) May 22, 2014

Sorry Mike but that is a terrible slur on a great man.

That quote was never made by Monnet. It was made by the British Conservative academic Adrian Hilton who was ascribing those sentiments to Monnet.

I may disagree with the whole concept of a united Europe and much of what Monnet wanted but he was always utterly honest about his intentions and vision. At no time did he ever suggest that people should be tricked into union. That particular trait seems to be reserved mostly for British politicians who know how unpopular the concept of ever closer union is and so do their best to hide the true nature of the EU. European politicians have, on the whole, beeen far more honest about it.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Yorkcity said:

I did Rod

It would be rather arrogant to bet on my own models. I'll take my chances on the established markets, thank-you.
    Frit ? or, no confidence in your Dr. Who machine ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

@isam can't get the quote to work but I noticed last night you mentioned UKIP = 14% at 2015 GE. Is that still your view?

If so then you can coax me out of my pb virginity by having a bet at 10p/basis point struck at 10% of GE2015 vote share for UKIP. so if they poll 11% I owe you £10 and if they poll 9% you owe me £10 etc.

I couldn't care less if there are better or worse odds out there for the same result it just seemed a fun bet for us. You know my view is for your lot (assuming you haven't followed your heart by then to join the Tories) to poll 3-5% so that is about right, payoff-wise.

Yes I'll have that.

I cant remember saying 14%, but I might have, its a bet!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

I made that name up on the spur of the moment while trying to work out if I was banned, or the changeover to different board systems had fritzed my old account.

Oh, do we know you as another poster?

I understand the frustration with account names. I just think that more people would read your posts if you changed to another one. It makes you come over as a chest thumping partisan, when actually you're not.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Governments do not always gain in the final year. It didn't happen in 78/79 when voters swung against Callaghan in the final year. Even in the run up to the 83 election the Tories had a bigger poll lead in June/July 82 than at the June 83 election. More recently the PNS in May 96 was Lab 43 Con 29 - the outcome a year later was Lab 44 Con 31 - very little Tory recovery there. The period 2000/2001 , I believe, saw a fall in Labour's lead with little change between 2004 and 2005.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Check your mail.
    Mike K
    I think you two may be misunderstanding one another.

Mr Bond appears to have sent you a message via vanilla, this was forwarded to your email address, but the reply-to address would be dead.

If you click on the link below, it will take you to your user profile at vanilla forums.

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/profile/44/MikeK

In the top right hand corner of the page there is a 'mail icon', your inbox, click on that to see any unread messages.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

The BNP in blazers.

Serious question, but how do they know that someone filling in a form and sending in the cheque isn't a BNP member, former or otherwise?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    @Richard_Tyndall‌

Richard

The ban on former BNP members derives from a carve up between the two parties when it was agreed that BNP should fight the urban constituencies and UKIP plough their furrow in the shires. With the collapse of the BNP this no longer applies.

And Professor Sked now seems to have found a 1997 vintage membership application form for UKIP and he has shown it to Stuart Jeffries of the Guardian:

Up until 1997 I [Alan Sked, then leader of UKIP] managed to keep UKIP a liberal – with a small 'l' – centre, moderate party. Our membership application form from the time – ah, here it is! [1997 application form he was looking for] – shows how much it has changed."

He hands me the form. It makes for fascinating reading. In 1993, along with backing British withdrawal from the EU, prospective members had to be sympathetic to the following: "It is a non-sectarian, non-racist party with no prejudices against foreigners or lawful minorities of any kind. It does not recognise the legitimacy of the European parliament and will send representatives only to the British parliament in Westminster."

"They got rid of all that after I left," says Sked, who resigned the leadership shortly after the 1997 general election.

Any comment?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Governments do not always gain in the final year. It didn't happen in 78/79 when voters swung against Callaghan in the final year. Even in the run up to the 83 election the Tories had a bigger poll lead in June/July 82 than at the June 83 election. More recently the PNS in May 96 was Lab 43 Con 29 - the outcome a year later was Lab 44 Con 31 - very little Tory recovery there. The period 2000/2001 , I believe, saw a fall in Labour's lead with little change between 2004 and 2005.

Surely in late 2009/10 the polls swung back strongly towards Labour from the large Tory leads of mid 2009
  • Options
    @Socrates

I am as left wing as they come, but pragmatic.
    I try my best to understand others point of view, as just firing off insults is seldom productive (though fun at times)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

Yes I'll have that.

I cant remember saying 14%, but I might have, its a bet!
    Excellent.

And now we wait....

:)
This discussion has been closed.