Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Someone or maybe a group of Lib Dems are spending serious m

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Someone or maybe a group of Lib Dems are spending serious money trying to oust Clegg

Hopefully later today ICM will release the detailed data from the private polling that’s splashed by the Guardian this morning. The broad message of what’s been leaked is that the party stands to do worse in four key seats that it already holds without a change of leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    Betfair most seats:

Lab 1.99
    Con 2.02

That's quite a big move since before Thursday when Lab was about 1.89.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Could we have a thread about something that actually matters in British politics? The LibDems don't. Ok so that's slight hyperbole but they are a lot less significant than OGH, a LibDem, would have us believe. There are much more significant thread opportunities surrounding both UKIP and Labour.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

Could we have a thread about something that actually matters in British politics? The LibDems don't. Ok so that's slight hyperbole but they are a lot less significant than OGH, a LibDem, would have us believe. There are much more significant thread opportunities surrounding both UKIP and Labour.

don't talk wet man, The LibDems currently haev several government ministers. I think that makes them somewhat significant in politics. And if the coalition is dissolved because of this stuff..

Anyway, what's not to like? A whodunnit, gossip, intrigue...
  • Options
    FPT -

Richard Nabavi : Shadsy doesn't need any help from us:

http://politicalbookie.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/betting-markets-beat-pollsters-in-euro-elections/

Bookies simply reflect the weight of money in a particular market - it's punters who largely decide the odds therefore.
  • Options

OGH: " Who is it? I’ve got my suspicions but I’m not going to reveal them."

Oh Mike, you are such a tease! It surely has to involve at least one or maybe several leading figures in the party. Otherwise the entire exercise is a complete waste of time and money.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,673
    According to *this* over at LDV, it is somebody with access to copies of email lists owned by the Party but is hiding in the swamp. Quite serious if not properly authorised, both for the emailer and the party that didn't enforce its rules.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/some-quick-questions-for-libdems4change-40335.html

No one is owning up but there's lots of shouting !

There's a savage irony that the impossible Tuition Fees promise that was accepted by Mr Clegg was put on him by those who are now beating him over the head with it.
  • Options
    Amongst the broadsheets, only The Guardian appears to be majoring on Clegg, so perhaps the story is dying a death already.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Betfair most seats:

Lab 1.99
    Con 2.02

That's quite a big move since before Thursday when Lab was about 1.89.

Those Conservative odds equate to 1.97 decimal net of comm'n, whereas a number of bookies are offering 2.1, which amounts to a 13.4% better return.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    O/T:

Is anyone able to get hold of the detailed Lewisham ward results for the local elections? The official website doesn't have the data as far as I can see:

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/mgElectionElectionAreaResults.aspx?EID=3&RPID=38134540
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cui bono? The plausible caretaker candidates for the rest of the Parliament are Vince Cable and Danny Alexander. The latter is a continuity candidate and the credibility of such candidates is not enhanced by a prior defenestration.

So sources close to Vince Cable seem most likely, particularly since he will be too old after the next election to lead.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    "Someone or maybe a group of Lib Dems are spending serious money trying to oust Clegg"

Who Cares. It would be odd if they were not after coming 5th in the euro elections.

The numbers who went straight from Libdem to UKIP show that a large proportion of their votes were protest voters who did not believe in Libdem principles and are horrified now that they have been exposed to those principles by having the party in government. They will survive in wealthy elitist liberal zones like Cheltenham though.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955
    Is it absolutely certain that it's LibDems behind this? How many supporters does the party have with access to the kind of money these polls would require. I can well imagine scenarios in which Labour, Tory and even UKIP supporters might want to make some mischief.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Will Clegg survive? Who will succeed him? Will the coalition be dissolved early? Will the Cabinet (which includes several LibDem ministers) be reshuffled?

But never mind the politics: remember the b in pb -- we can bet on all these contingencies.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    antifrank said:

Cui bono? The plausible caretaker candidates for the rest of the Parliament are Vince Cable and Danny Alexander. The latter is a continuity candidate and the credibility of such candidates is not enhanced by a prior defenestration.

So sources close to Vince Cable seem most likely, particularly since he will be too old after the next election to lead.

Half the LD parliamentary party are currently facing unemployment in 2015.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Who's "got previous" and is on the record for wishing the end of both Clegg's leadership and the coalition?

In an intervention designed to weaken Mr Clegg ahead of next week’s Lib Dem party conference, Lord Oakeshott warned that the Deputy Prime Minister’s ratings “are very poor and have been for a long time”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10305919/Vince-Cable-distances-himself-from-Lord-Oakeshott-after-peer-calls-for-Nick-Clegg-to-be-sacked.html

I think the problem is we have a very good message on what we've achieved, but it's being drowned out by being in government. Four years on, we've achieved most of what we set out to do in the coalition. Now, we must get out of government so we can put our distinctive Liberal Democrat messsage across, both about what we've achieved in government and what we are going to achieve in the next parliament separately from the Tories.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/04/lord-oakeshott-speaking-vince-cable
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I somewhat like the Lib Dems, quite as much as I dislike the Kippers' seemy side. To me UK politics seems largely to be an exercise in black/white opposing polarities. I wouldn't normally bother saying this, but maybe the LDs could use a few friends just now.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Good morning from Serbia.

Before we go too far in speculation, is there not a question of how big the samples were and therefore the MOE, also when the poll was commissioned and carried out could be relevant to the motive, cost and the identity of the commissioner.

Is it possible that this could have been commissioned, implemented and leaked since the results were announced on Sunday, which is the first time the complete disaster of Europollagedden was released to the LibDems and they had confirmation of their worst fears.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Just going on LBC in a few minutes on whether Clegg can survive.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Half the LD parliamentary party are currently facing unemployment in 2015.

The question for such Lib Dem MPs is whether their prospects would be improved by replacing Nick Clegg. Till yesterday, I would have said no, but a man with all the stuffing knocked out of him is no use to man nor beast.
  • Options

Are you going to be giving him the thumbs up or the thumbs down, for those of us unable to listen in?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Are you going to be giving him the thumbs up or the thumbs down, for those of us unable to listen in?
    http://app.musicradio.com/lbclondon/on-air/player/
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Toms said:

I somewhat like the Lib Dems, quite as much as I dislike the Kippers' seemy side. To me UK politics seems largely to be an exercise in black/white opposing polarities. I wouldn't normally bother saying this, but maybe the LDs could use a few friends just now.

How do you feel about the seamy side of the LDs? The seamy side of Labour? The seamy side of the Conservatives?

Did you send Mr Hancock a condolences email when he lost his seat on Portsmouth council this May?

• Options
    The argument http://libdems4change.org use is very similar to that used by Oakeshott:

We consider it vital that at the 2015 General Election the Party should be led by someone who will receive a fair hearing about our achievements and ambitions for the future. It is clear to us that this person is not you, as the loss of so many of our hard working Councillors highlights.

You have fulfilled a range of objectives in Government, but we now believe that progress will be best achieved under a new leader. We therefore ask that you stand down, allowing the membership to select your successor this summer.

And LibDemVoice have some questions for them:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/some-quick-questions-for-libdems4change-40335.html
  • Options

Toms said:

How do you feel about the seamy side of the LDs? The seamy side of Labour? The seamy side of the Conservatives?

Did you send Mr Hancock a condolences email when he lost his seat on Portsmouth council this May?

The human condition implies imperfection. In particular, implicit racism makes my flesh creep. The LDs, with their imperfections, have a contribution to make I think.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I said what I've written about in my last couple of posts. As long as Ashdown is supportive he'll survive.

• Options
    I am beginning to wonder whether the LDs are going to split.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

The site's name is political betting. Leadership elections and the timing of them are a big deal for the betting markets.
  • Options
    In addition to Oakeshott, Mark Pack wonders if John Hemming MP may be involved:

http://www.markpack.org.uk/50191/the-obvious-question-about-icm-polls/

But fear not! Lembit may ride to the rescue:

http://www.charlotteahenry.com/politics/lembit-would-stand-for-leader-to-save-the-libertarian-movement/

And Anthony Wells tweeted: Also, the name of the client must be made public by ICM
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Walton South result missing from Elmbridge website:

http://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/council/elections/borough14.htm

Worked out why - it was a Tory win because there were no other candidates. Still they ought to have put it on the page.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    antifrank said:

Cui bono is only one consideration. Don't underestimate panic ("we must do something!") and anger ("blame someone!") as motivating factors.

There are two stages to any leadership election - dumping the old leader and choosing a new one. It's more sensible to think about both parts before launching an election but you only have to think about the first at this stage.
  • Options
    It's amazing that things like this are still hidden away:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27492949
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,445
    The trouble Nick Clegg finds himself in is actually not largely of his own making. Of course things like tuition fees haven't helped, but it's the broader picture that is behind the Lib Dem situation. For 20 years the party made hay as an anti-Tory party one that was a bit less ideological and a bit more cuddly than Labour. From 1997-2005 they carved out a big fat niche of seats by effectively taking votes from fanatical anti-Tories who used to vote Labour. This was accelerated by the Iraq conflict where they stood against it and circumstances have subsequently made them look prescient. This alliance of fanatical anti-Tories with a wedge of anti-Blairites was always a touch precarious. The anti-Blairites would probably largely have returned to Labour over time, but the killer for the Lib Dems was the arithmetic last time.

That the election of 2010 produced an outcome where it was impossible to get the numbers to work for a coalition with Labour is what has caused the problem. I think had the numbers worked better the 2010 negotiations would have been longer and Clegg would have been under serious pressure to deal with Labour. I think that would have whacked the Lib Dems too but nothing like dealing with the Tories, for a party that has spent most of its existence as an anti-Tory vehicle to have to enter such a pact with the devil was always going to cut the heart out of its electoral base in my view. Nick Clegg is just the schmuck left holding the time bomb when the music stops.
  • Options
    If Clegg stood down and did not contest Sheffield Hallam in 2015 who would it be a shoe-in for the LD candidate who succeeded him?
  • Options
    Isn't the LibDem guy in the grey suit stroking the white cat Lord Fondlehard? I suspect revenge is a motive.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Who Dunnit ?!?!

It's Oakeshitt in the library with Vince's knicker elastic ....
  • Options
    Sky News - Lloyd's to float 25% of TSB next month.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    The Lib Dems lost 310 councillors on Thursday. For a smallish party that is a lot, comfortably more than UKIP have in total. The shockwaves of that result, even more than the MEPs, will be felt across the activist base. It would be remarkable if the leadership was not being challenged.

Clegg looks and sounds a beaten man. I really think it is time for him to move on for his own sake and for the sake of his party, no matter how problematic the alternatives. There is a serious risk about the future of the Coalition but I don't see an early election (the Lib Dems in particular have too much to lose and the tories need to give a recovering economy all the time they can) so I suspect things will limp on until May even though a year is a long time in politics.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    The most surprising thing about this Lib Dem aftermath is that they seem genuinely surprised that they did badly.

This Lib Dem car crash has been unfolding for four years, yet they seem to have perfected the art of denial.

So much so some seem to think it will come good next year.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,206
    Odd. On the one hand, the Euro elections do suggest that the scale of loss of support is such that no seats should be considered 'safe'. On the other, IIRC, the locals suggested the vote was holding up in some such areas. For instance, in Hallam I'm sure the scores posted by Andy JS were good for LD and utterly dire for Con.

I've voted LD one way or another at most GE's since 1987 and will probably do so next time. The party has been excoriated for being a party of protest that has had the temerity to join Government. And overall, notwithstanding an overeagerness to accept the Tory agenda over the first couple of years, the party has provided some modest braking to a right wing agenda for which Con did not get a mandate. Unfortunately, you cannot crap on your core vote per tuition fees and expect to get away with it. That strategic error is why Clegg really should be looking to exit before the next GE, and realistically that means now.
  • Options

No. Clegg's survival is the big political betting story at the moment - just see the papers and betting markets.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all. Will the latest Ashcroft poll this afternoon pour petrol on the LibDem bonfire? It feels good to be a Scottish Tory today.

Incidentally is there a Labour marginal south of the river Farage could stand in or is Laura Sandys seat the only candidate (assuming it is south of the river)?
  • Options
    O/T George Osborne (aka Robin Hood) has been at it again, scourging the better paid in his desperate search for taxes to give to the poor: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/10857138/Taxman-collects-extra-1billion-by-cracking-down-on-barristers-and-accountants.html

The scale of this additional recovery is in some respects worrying. It suggests that a very significant part of the deficit reduction achieved in the last few years has been driven not by growth or spending cuts but by aggressively challenging tax avoidance. It is, in fact, a further demonstration of just how hard it is going to be for any future government to eliminate the deficit.

If the Lib Dems have found being in this government tough, god knows how they would cope with the next one.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358
    philiph said:

Good morning from Serbia.

Before we go too far in speculation, is there not a question of how big the samples were and therefore the MOE, also when the poll was commissioned and carried out could be relevant to the motive, cost and the identity of the commissioner.

Is it possible that this could have been commissioned, implemented and leaked since the results were announced on Sunday, which is the first time the complete disaster of Europollagedden was released to the LibDems and they had confirmation of their worst fears.

No, it's from some weeks back. Oakeshott seems the obvious candidate, but I wouldn't rule out a wealthy Tory posing as a LibDem. A temporary change to Cable seems objectively in their interest.

• Options
    For those that like thinking about the EU, two good but contradictory articles in the FT. First, Gideon Rachman argues that EU leaders cannot simply ignore the populists:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b898f3ec-e279-11e3-a829-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=intl#axzz32tb5YHON

"The argument that the populist vote is still too weak and incoherent to merit a response does not really work. Anti-establishment parties have topped the polls in France and Britain – the EU’s second- and third-largest economies. The fringe parties have also made noteworthy gains in Spain, Italy and even Germany.

And while the populists detest each other and advance bizarre or contradictory ideas, they do share a common theme: the strong belief the EU has become too powerful, at the expense of the nation state.

To argue that the weekend’s vote was actually about immigration or the economy – and not about Europe – is to miss the point. Two of the basic functions of the nation state have traditionally been to control borders and national finances. Both functions have been largely ceded to the EU – particularly if, like France, you are a member of the Schengen border-free zone and the European single currency.

The challenge for EU leaders now is to see if they can restore some national democratic control over these key areas without actually dismantling the union itself. That may not be do-able. But they are going to have to try."

Next, Janan Ganesh argues that David Cameron should not pander to Kippers:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0cf1bdc-e4a7-11e3-9b2b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz32tb5YHON

"There are two reasons why the Conservatives are even remotely competitive despite their noxious reputation, their spending cuts and their oddball MPs. One is the UK economy, the other is Mr Cameron. He is not the mesmerising politician talked up by some around him in opposition but he is a grade or two above anything else around at the moment. It helps he looks the part but the underlying characteristics that constitute his appeal are sanity, moderation and strength. A dash for Ukip votes would sully all this. Mr Cameron would look unctuous, desperate and, well, un-prime ministerial. An implausible populist anyway, he can only campaign on a platform of cold credibility.

These weeks are a test of Mr Cameron’s internal rudder. A flighty politician would buy the hype about the advent of “four-party politics” and a revolution from below to which elites must genuflect or die. A serious politician would keep an eye on hard political realities. The combined Labour-Conservative vote share went up from 2009. Ukip has prospered by consolidating protest votes that used to go to a plurality of parties – but protest politics tends to splinter, and it will again. And European elections are not UK parliamentary elections; in a year, the Lib Dems are likely to still have about 30 MPs, and Ukip few or none."

Both have good points.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Lib Dems lost 310 councillors on Thursday. For a smallish party that is a lot, comfortably more than UKIP have in total. The shockwaves of that result, even more than the MEPs, will be felt across the activist base. It would be remarkable if the leadership was not being challenged.

Clegg looks and sounds a beaten man. I really think it is time for him to move on for his own sake and for the sake of his party, no matter how problematic the alternatives. There is a serious risk about the future of the Coalition but I don't see an early election (the Lib Dems in particular have too much to lose and the tories need to give a recovering economy all the time they can) so I suspect things will limp on until May even though a year is a long time in politics.

The LibDems need to hold their nerve and see off the damp squib of the "Lembitlite Rebellion" in short order.

Quite what some of these weak kneed yellow perilists thought would happen in electoral terms between general elections is a source of merriment to me. After all the LibDems have over the decades feasted on the corpses of mid term governments and gorged their council numbers by the thousands. Now the arse kicking boot is on the foot.

The price of Coalition government was known to all rational analysts, which of course doesn't include those dewy eyed LibDems who thought they could have their broccoli quiche and eat it.

Nevertheless the main game is the 2015 General Election and not the froth of essentially meaningless European elections. All is still to play for .... except of course that :

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister.

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

'Fess up. You posted that so that some of us would be lured into reading about the fecal transplant...
  • Options
    antifrank said:

For those that like thinking about the EU, two good but contradictory articles in the FT. First, Gideon Rachman argues that EU leaders cannot simply ignore the populists:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b898f3ec-e279-11e3-a829-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=intl#axzz32tb5YHON

"The argument that the populist vote is still too weak and incoherent to merit a response does not really work. Anti-establishment parties have topped the polls in France and Britain – the EU’s second- and third-largest economies. The fringe parties have also made noteworthy gains in Spain, Italy and even Germany.

(snip)
    The challenge for EU leaders now is to see if they can restore some national democratic control over these key areas without actually dismantling the union itself. That may not be do-able. But they are going to have to try."

Next, Janan Ganesh argues that David Cameron should not pander to Kippers:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0cf1bdc-e4a7-11e3-9b2b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz32tb5YHON

"There are two reasons why the Conservatives are even remotely competitive despite their noxious reputation, their spending cuts and their oddball MPs. One is the UK economy, the other is Mr Cameron. He is not the mesmerising politician talked up by some around him in opposition but he is a grade or two above anything else around at the moment. It helps he looks the part but the underlying characteristics that constitute his appeal are sanity, moderation and strength. A dash for Ukip votes would sully all this. Mr Cameron would look unctuous, desperate and, well, un-prime ministerial. An implausible populist anyway, he can only campaign on a platform of cold credibility.

These weeks are a test of Mr Cameron’s internal rudder. A flighty politician would buy the hype about the advent of “four-party politics” and a revolution from below to which elites must genuflect or die. A serious politician would keep an eye on hard political realities. The combined Labour-Conservative vote share went up from 2009. Ukip has prospered by consolidating protest votes that used to go to a plurality of parties – (snip)."

Both have good points.

Not sure I see the contradiction. A serious, competent politician like Cameron recognises the need for an adjustment of the balance between the EU and the Member States with power and control being returned to the latter. Such a policy is not "pandering" to UKIP but addressing at least one part of it's appeal in a grown up and mature way by stating the obvious: the EU cannot survive in its current form.

That is his policy and, if he succeeds, he will then win a referendum keeping the UK in the EU. There are reasons why UKIP are so vociferous about Cameron. They fear him and they are right to do so.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I feel sorry for Nick Clegg and if he is forced out, he will be very welcome in the Tory Party. We remember our friends. The problem for many LibDems is that they have coasted along for three decades by being able to face in 2 directions, against Labour in the north and against the Tories in the south and convey appropriate and very different messages.

I have never made a secret of the fact I have seen the Coalition as the nearest thing to a traditional One-Nation (Labour take note it is our phrase not yours) Tory government, economically right wing and socially centrist.

If Lord Rent-A-Gob Oakeshott is behind this coup attempt, I do hope it explodes in his face. The man has been as correct as Ed Balls and Danny Blanchflower for the past 4 years.

I expect the political landscape after the GE could be more like that of 1979 and if so, bang goes the 7% Tory lead to win theory.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

The human condition implies imperfection. In particular, implicit racism makes my flesh creep. The LDs, with their imperfections, have a contribution to make I think.
    Oh good. While UKIP, the only party advocating leaving the EU, the only party advocating a cheap energy policy, the only party opposing HS2, do not have a contribution to make?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Looking at the results the UK is now represented by largely eurosceptic\hostile MEPs

Ukip 23
    Con 19
    SF 1
    DUP1
    UUP 1

That's 45 out of 73. It should at least give Cameron an argument.

I also notice Hollande is now suddenly talking about the need for change. So France plus UK and Germany is a decisive block. Problem is what do the all mean by change ?
  • Options
    Antifrank - not sure the two have to be seen as contradictory. Sensible reform and refocusing of the EU combined with a realism about the nature of the UKIP vote seems plausible. Cameron has been advocating reform for ages, Merkel has been tiptoeing towards reform, Hollande seems to be having a Damascene conversion on the need for a smaller better focused EU. It could be that the elections to the European Parliament could prove an enormous stroke of luck for the PM making his renegotiation stance easier to pull off. He certainly can go into the discussions armed with a bigger arsenal than before able to point to euro sceptics and make the case that the problem will worsen unless tackled.
  • Options
    Tony Blair will be one Radio 4's Today programme shortly.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Antifrank - not sure the two have to be seen as contradictory. Sensible reform and refocusing of the EU combined with a realism about the nature of the UKIP vote seems plausible. Cameron has been advocating reform for ages, Merkel has been tiptoeing towards reform, Hollande seems to be having a Damascene conversion on the need for a smaller better focused EU. It could be that the elections to the European Parliament could prove an enormous stroke of luck for the PM making his renegotiation stance easier to pull off. He certainly can go into the discussions armed with a bigger arsenal than before able to point to euro sceptics and make the case that the problem will worsen unless tackled.

Snap and I agree about your point about the election strengthening Cameron's hand in seeking serious reform. Those that were talking airily about no need for another treaty for many years etc look fairly ridiculous now.

• Options

'Fess up. You posted that so that some of us would be lured into reading about the fecal transplant...

That's just crap ...

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited May 2014

This is an area which is normally only accessible by river and walking - one of the few last natural and unspoilt places but under threat from illicit logging. It is not good for your health - malaria mosquitoes and all sorts of bugs as well as very dangerous members of the reptilian family.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

It could be that the elections to the European Parliament could prove an enormous stroke of luck for the PM making his renegotiation stance easier to pull off. He certainly can go into the discussions armed with a bigger arsenal than before able to point to euro sceptics and make the case that the problem will worsen unless tackled.

Mr Cameron's renegotiation stance is to not ask for anything of significance.

"All seven of our declared aims can be secured with, at most, a one-line amendment to the treaties, along the lines of the one inserted at the time of the bailouts. Most of them, indeed, don’t even need that: they can be agreed in the form of a ministerial decision. As Ken Clarke has gleefully noted, there will be no need for a new Intergovernmental Conference, a new treaty or new parliamentary ratifications: ultimate proof that nothing of significance will change."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100264175/david-cameron-wants-to-stay-in-the-eu-on-something-like-the-current-terms-but-hes-our-only-chance-of-a-referendum/
  • Options

Looking at the results the UK is now represented by largely eurosceptic\hostile MEPs

Ukip 23
    Con 19
    SF 1
    DUP1
    UUP 1

I also notice Hollande is now suddenly talking about the need for change. So France plus UK and Germany is a decisive block. Problem is what do the all mean by change ?

Oh doubtless they all mean something different but that's a better position than before where Hollande didn't even recognise a problem. I'm minded of a verse from Luke 15:7 ;)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tony Blair will be one Radio 4's Today programme shortly.

Are Radio 4 broadcasting from the Hague ?

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Nothing wrong with Tony, best post war PM.
  • Options
    I still think it's notable that UKIP got 1 vote in Scotland for every 2.8 SNP votes.
  • Options

Post Iraq war ?!?

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Ukip 23
    Con 19
    SF 1
    DUP1
    UUP 1

Con 19 because there are no Europhiles in the party responsible for taking us into the Common Market and almost every major EU-centralisation step since?
  • Options

ToryJim said:

It could be that the elections to the European Parliament could prove an enormous stroke of luck for the PM making his renegotiation stance easier to pull off. He certainly can go into the discussions armed with a bigger arsenal than before able to point to euro sceptics and make the case that the problem will worsen unless tackled.

Mr Cameron's renegotiation stance is to not ask for anything of significance.

"All seven of our declared aims can be secured with, at most, a one-line amendment to the treaties, along the lines of the one inserted at the time of the bailouts. Most of them, indeed, don’t even need that: they can be agreed in the form of a ministerial decision. As Ken Clarke has gleefully noted, there will be no need for a new Intergovernmental Conference, a new treaty or new parliamentary ratifications: ultimate proof that nothing of significance will change."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100264175/david-cameron-wants-to-stay-in-the-eu-on-something-like-the-current-terms-but-hes-our-only-chance-of-a-referendum/
    Well let's see shall we, i suspect there are undeclared aims that are sitting there. You never reveal your hand unless you have to. Plus the tenor of the game has changed now, the fact that other leaders are conceding the need for change will tend to open up the territory on which change will be negotiated. It's way too early to tell but in future we may see Farage as akin to Pyrrhus of Epirus.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @UpikNews: The rise of UKIP explained @CartoonRalph http://t.co/IZtKJ4eks1
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PeteWishart: Why are there so few artists, creatives, musicians, dramatists, into No?

@journodave: 'uproar' RT @petermacmahon: Uproar as Annie Lennox posts Union flag picture online | Herald Scotland http://t.co/4Mw8eaDpZr via @hsnewsbreak
  • Options
    JackW said:

Post Iraq war ?!?

Post WW2, Thatcher and Blair are the only two PMs to have seriously challenged how the British state works and remade it. Should have sacked Brown in 2004, I think even he'd concede.

I don't get fixated on Iraq, he made a well intentioned mistake.

Otherwise, all good.
  • Options

That's just crap ...

Yours or mine?

• Options
    Blair praising Clegg's "leadership" and "courage". That must be the kiss of death...
  • Options

Blair praising Clegg's "leadership" and "courage". That must be the kiss of death...

Did he chuck in "indefatigability" just for the lols
  • Options

Toms said:

Toms said:

Oh good. While UKIP, the only party advocating leaving the EU, the only party advocating a cheap energy policy, the only party opposing HS2, do not have a contribution to make?
    Heh heh. Yes, I agree with parts of that. Well, whether we like it or not UKIP is certainly making a contribution too. My perception however is that UKIP has picked some significant dingleberry from the far right.
  • Options
    Cameron needs to begin a negotiation from scratch after a GE and secure an agreement in time to hold a referendum in 2017.

The key issue around our EU membership is freedom of movement, a fundamental pillar of the EU project which the Tories committed us to when they negotiated and signed the Maastricht Treaty. Everything else is detail. For UKIP's bolt to be shot Cameron has to deliver something substantial on that. In two years.

As someone who has been covering the negotiations to create an EU patent since 1998 I wish him luck!!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Cameron needs to begin a negotiation from scratch after a GE and secure an agreement in time to hold a referendum in 2017.

The key issue around our EU membership is freedom of movement, a fundamental pillar of the EU project which the Tories committed us to when they negotiated and signed the Maastricht Treaty. Everything else is detail. For UKIP's bolt to be shot Cameron has to deliver something substantial on that. In two years.

As someone who has been covering the negotiations to create an EU patent since 1998 I wish him luck!!

And "substantial" means something that will actually impact migration levels on a meaningful scale. Banning benefits for three, six or even 24 months isn't going to change it by more than 5%, and the Tories know that very well.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

JackW said:

Post Iraq war ?!?

Post WW2, Thatcher and Blair are the only two PMs to have seriously challenged how the British state works and remade it. Should have sacked Brown in 2004, I think even he'd concede.

Otherwise, all good.
    A 'mistake' that 500,000 and counting have died for.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Good morning all. Will the latest Ashcroft poll this afternoon pour petrol on the LibDem bonfire? It feels good to be a Scottish Tory today.

Incidentally is there a Labour marginal south of the river Farage could stand in or is Laura Sandys seat the only candidate (assuming it is south of the river)?

Easterrosss, Nice that you are happy, but would expect BAU to be resumed soon, your duffers will resume normal mediocrity and we will be back to where we were.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
  • Options

JackW said:

Post Iraq war ?!?

Otherwise, all good.
    The Iraq War, massive increases in migration, support for the Lebanon War, complicity with US rendition, giving away the rebate, structural deficits as far as the eye can see, feather touch financial regulation, huge expansion of warrantless spying by GCHQ, breaking a referendum promise on the Lisbon Treaty, attempting to join the Euro, and turning UK politics into a spin machine.

Other than that, all good.
  • Options

JackW said:

Post Iraq war ?!?

Otherwise, all good.
    Blimey!

How about Thatcher did change things and Blair made alot of noises but ultimately caved to the left. He left the welfare state unreformed and allowed Brown to ruin us.

Well intentioned mistake! FFS.

And 'otherwise all good'! Err...have you not looked at the record of New Labour 1997 - 2010?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    I suspect that the European elite will reflect long and hard on these results and conclude that the solution is ............ More Europe.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,327
    First class Site, Shadsy. Complements this one excellently.

Can't see Clegg being replaced. It won't help. But if he is, any chance for my 33/1 shot, Alistair Carmichael?

No, I didn't think so.
  • Options
    I've added to the header an exchange of Tweets with John Hemming MP over whether he was the funder of the ICM poll
  • Options
    I'm having trouble getting hold of the detailed Epping Forest local election results. Can anyone help? Thanks.
  • Options

I've added to the header an exchange of Tweets with John Hemming MP over whether he was the funder of the ICM poll

Naughty OGH. Hemming said that he could "confirm or deny" it. But he didn't say which, and I guess he won't, just yet...
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,206
    You did ask whether he could confirm 'or' deny Mike..
  • Options

One Lib Dem MP whose seat appears to be rock-solid, on Thursday's results.

Thursday's results also point to Sheffield Hallam being solid.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Can you confirm/deny commissioning the ICM poll? – “indeed I can.”

Hmm, I don’t think that twitter exchange has shed any light on Hemming’s guilt or innocence.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Sean_F said:

Thursday's results also point to Sheffield Hallam being solid.

Unlike these polls!

The funder's name will surely have to come out under BPC rules today or tomorrow so there's no point in playing games over it. I wonder if they realise that they were going to be outed once they leaked the results?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

JackW said:

Post Iraq war ?!?

Otherwise, all good.
    The Iraq War, massive increases in migration, support for the Lebanon War, complicity with US rendition, giving away the rebate, structural deficits as far as the eye can see, feather touch financial regulation, huge expansion of warrantless spying by GCHQ, breaking a referendum promise on the Lisbon Treaty, attempting to join the Euro, and turning UK politics into a spin machine.

He was good at winning elections, but it becomes ever clearer with hindsight what a poor PM he was.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Whilst there will be much talk in Brussels, I fear that the anti-Euers will be offered just a few nigh-worthless crumbs. Merkel will be anxious to stem any further rise in the far-right whilst Hollande will have any eye on 2017.

However, most will safely relax in the fact the the centre-right and the socialists will have a majority of MEPs and will fall in line behind the EU bureaucracy.

Also half of their minds will be fixed on who will be the new President of the European Commission (who allocates the portfolios) to succeed Barroso and who will succeed Rompuy (President of the European Council) later this year.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

JackW said:

Post Iraq war ?!?

Otherwise, all good.

Add trying to give Gibraltar away to the list
  • Options
    Socrates said:

JackW said:

Post Iraq war ?!?

Otherwise, all good.

Devolution in Scotland, peace in northern Ireland, the minimum wage, 32% fall in crime whilst he was in office, brought in civil partnerships for gays, won the olympics for London. Public debt fell under Blair from 49% of GDP to 44% when he left office. (after 4 years of Cameron it's gone from 67% to 90%)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I still think it's notable that UKIP got 1 vote in Scotland for every 2.8 SNP votes.

Does this have something to do with the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything being 42?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited May 2014
    Looking at how the last two Liberal Democrat Leaders were forced out, it was by a revolt by the Shadow Cabinet?

I've texted a few political friends (from all the parties) in Sheffield Hallam asking if they know anyone who was polled by this poll, so far, we've found no one...
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    After discovering that Clegg was not sleeping with the fishes yet,the 15-8 on Labour beating Hughes in Bermondsey gets more attractive by the day.Bermondsey is unfinished business and could be the best "Portillo Moment" of GE2015.Maybe it's going to take that for the L/Ds to realise Clegg's ordered them on a kamikaze mission.
  • Options
    Labour winning Sheffield Hallam has gone from 7/1 last night to 7/2 this morning (with Hills)
  • Options

Devolution in Scotland, peace in northern Ireland, the minimum wage, 32% fall in crime whilst he was in office, brought in civil partnerships for gays, won the olympics for London. Public debt fell under Blair from 49% of GDP to 44% when he left office. (after 4 years of Cameron it's gone from 67% to 90%)

The mismanagement of devolution has brought the union to the brink of dissolution. Peace in Northern Ireland, he gets credit for, but shared with John Major. The fall in crime has been a global phenomenon, likely linked to reduced lead in cars, and has continued since he left office. As for public debt, either you are being knowingly deceiving in picking those numbers or you don't understand how deficits and economic cycles work.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Financier said:

Whilst there will be much talk in Brussels, I fear that the anti-Euers will be offered just a few nigh-worthless crumbs. Merkel will be anxious to stem any further rise in the far-right whilst Hollande will have any eye on 2017.

However, most will safely relax in the fact the the centre-right and the socialists will have a majority of MEPs and will fall in line behind the EU bureaucracy.

Also half of their minds will be fixed on who will be the new President of the European Commission (who allocates the portfolios) to succeed Barroso and who will succeed Rompuy (President of the European Council) later this year.

When interviewed after the result, Mr Farage said he thought the effect of the EU election would be more on domestic politics within the member states.

If Mr Hollande, or the other French presidential contenders, want to blunt Ms le Pen's political appeal, they will have to address her call for France to leave the EU.

There was something on the TV about the EU Parliament result triggering an election in Greece. Is that happening?

• Options
    Oh, I forgot "winning the Olympics". If you need to add that to bolster your list of achievements you know you're scraping the barrel.
  • Options
    Found a newspaper page with the Epping Forest results:

http://www.everythingeppingforest.co.uk/vote2014.htm
  • Options
    I'd never underplay the great work that John Major did in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, the Sun are so impressed with Clegg, they are comparing him to the great military commander and politician, Julius Caesar

David Wooding ‏@DavidWooding 23s

These elections have been a godsend for newspaper illustrators and cartoonists!

pic.twitter.com/b7pTZczb3t
This discussion has been closed.