Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Election 2014: A 3-act drama and the plot’s bubbling nicely

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited May 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Election 2014: A 3-act drama and the plot’s bubbling nicely

The last time any party other than Labour or the Conservatives won a UK-wide election, women didn’t have the vote, the future RMS Titanic was still under construction and the Ottoman Empire stretched to the shores of the Adriatic.  That 103-year long shut-out will probably end this week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    UKIP will do exceptionally well at the Euros, I have them winning by 6-7% from a dead heat red/blue second place. Of course, it's much easier to go UKIP in the euros. Many see these elections as irrelevant and a chance to protest, and others see no democratic legitimacy in the Euro project and will swing to the king of the BOOs.
    The locals give us a much better indication for 2015, but even they are loaded and imperfect. They do at least have the advantage of being real UK elections with a real and personal effect and connection to the voter.
    Newark is an odd one. It may be the last chance for the English voter to 'send a message', but is that enough for UKIP to take it from nowhere? 4/1 is about right.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

UKIP will do exceptionally well at the Euros, I have them winning by 6-7% from a dead heat red/blue second place. Of course, it's much easier to go UKIP in the euros. Many see these elections as irrelevant and a chance to protest, and others see no democratic legitimacy in the Euro project and will swing to the king of the BOOs.
    The locals give us a much better indication for 2015, but even they are loaded and imperfect. They do at least have the advantage of being real UK elections with a real and personal effect and connection to the voter.
    Newark is an odd one. It may be the last chance for the English voter to 'send a message', but is that enough for UKIP to take it from nowhere? 4/1 is about right.

I would have said that 4/1 was about right were it not for the very beneficial coverage UKIP's getting this weekend and early next week, which, as I say, is when the majority of postal voters will be casting their ballots. I'd have them around 3/1 or maybe a touch under.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Green hold their seat in Lewisham even after Darren Johnson's retirement.

It will probably the only opposition seat as LDs and Con have already lost all the wards where they got Cllrs in 2010
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    David has got caught in the media narrative. Look at the numbers. The locals were a disaster for Ukip - dropping more than a quarter of their national vote share over the past year.

The Euros certainly look interesting and I am putting more money on Ukip not coming first.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Tower Hamlets Mayor

Rahman: 37,395
    Labour: 34,143
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

David has got caught in the media narrative. Look at the numbers. The locals were a disaster for Ukip - dropping more than a quarter of their national vote share over the past year.

What national vote share? Would this be the same calculation you have previously criticised in the past?

As for disastrous locals, perhaps you would care to look at the LibDem performance. You finished behind UKIP on national vote share.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Dudley, popular votes:

UKIP 27,355 (32.43%)
    Lab 27,095 (32.12%)
    Con 24,524 (29.07%)
    Green 4,494 (5.33%)
    LD 767 (0.91%)
    BNP 123 (0.15%)

Changes since 2010 locals:

UKIP +22.14%
    Lab -1.74%
    Con -10.66%
    Green +4.30%
    LD -12.30%
    BNP -1.20%
    Ind -0.19%
    NF -0.36%
  • Options
    edited May 2014

The Euros certainly look interesting and I am putting more money on Ukip not coming first.

You don't believe the experts do you? They messed up last year's UKIP projected share by giving them 23% when they only polled 20% in real votes in their best areas.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    @Mikesmithson Different opinions make for decent betting markets ^_~

Is that your £500 waiting to lay UKIP @ 1.23 up on Betfair
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

Tower Hamlets Mayor

Rahman: 37,395
    Labour: 34,143

Rahman seems a genuinely popular mayor, well done for him to hanging on, and a very nice tip by Neil.
  • Options
    Greens aren't going to replicate that come the general (to state the obvious.) Lab has a little more breathing room.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The result in Norbiton (Kingston-upon-Thames) has been delayed until tomorrow — or rather later today. It must be very close between Lab and LD I think:

http://moderngov.kingston.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?XXR=0&ID=69&RPID=13443473
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    AndyJS said:

Dudley, popular votes:

UKIP 27,355 (32.43%)
    Lab 27,095 (32.12%)
    Con 24,524 (29.07%)
    Green 4,494 (5.33%)
    LD 767 (0.91%)
    BNP 123 (0.15%)

UKIP +22.14%
    Lab -1.74%
    Con -10.66%
    Green +4.30%
    LD -12.30%
    BNP -1.20%
    Ind -0.19%
    NF -0.36%

Blimey. Now if Con voters in the midlands/north would just do the sensible thing.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thurrock, popular votes:

UKIP 12,763 (39.03%)
    Lab 9,822 (30.04%)
    Con 9,187 (28.10%)
    LD 817 (2.50%) — no candidates in 2010, 14/16 this time
    NF 110 (0.34%)

UKIP +30.91%
    Lab -8.31%
    Con -9.79%
    LD +2.50%
    NF +0.34%
    BNP -13.16% (not standing this time)
    Ind -2.49% ('' '')
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    If UKIP get over 30% in the Euros everyone will probably forget about the 17% projected share figure for the locals.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    AndyJS said:

If UKIP get over 30% in the Euros everyone will probably forget about the 17% projected share figure for the locals.

In itself it's just a detail but not being able to extrapolate from London to outside London and vice versa is likely to be a fixture.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    rogerh - not sure if you'll see this, but check your PMs.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

In itself it's just a detail but not being able to extrapolate from London to outside London and vice versa is likely to be a fixture.
    So when a UKIP government expelled anybody who's not either pasty-complexioned (test: do you go red in the sun, sir) or are too clever by half, who will do the bottom end work? Let's hope that's it's the "indigenous".

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964

If anyone on here were to compare two different polls and try to draw that sort of conclusion you would rightly slap them down. It is ridiculous to try and pretend that you are comparing like with like and then claim there has been a drop in vote for UKIP since last year. The only meaningful comparison that can be made is with 2010 when these seats were last contested.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited May 2014
    "Where would such a result leave the Westminster parties? Somewhere between a state of denial and shock, probably. There are always reasons to rationalise away exceptional results as an aberration"
    That is certainly the experience from Scotland, where Scottish Labour are still in denial and shock 7 years after being booted out of office. And the Scottish Conservatives are still in denial and shock 17 years after the 1997 wipeout.

History suggests that the Lib-Lab-Cons and their BBC chums will be smearing and lying about UKIP for many, many years to come. Oh joy.
  • Options
    LAB drifting at Newark:

Con 2/5 (Lad)
    UKIP 4/1 (SJ)
    Lab 12/1 (Betfair)
    Grn 200/1
    LD 300/1
  • Options

Aha! That'll explain this then:

Betfair - In-Play - European Parliament Election 2014 - Most Votes (114,039 pounds matched)

UKIP 1.27
    Lab 4.3
    Con 40

Betfair - In-Play - European Parliament Election 2014 - Most Seats (117,275 pounds matched)

UKIP 1.39
    Lab 3.5
    Con 44
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

What national vote share? Would this be the same calculation you have previously criticised in the past?

As for disastrous locals, perhaps you would care to look at the LibDem performance. You finished behind UKIP on national vote share.
    Shhh.... you are spoiling a good story.

Mike's contribution this morning brings to mind two words: Angus and Reid.

I'm afraid that Mike's assessment of the usefulness of any given tool depends on how close the output of said tool corresponds with his own preconceptions.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2014
    Survation's local election poll was:
    Con 23.9%, Lab 35.8%, LD 12.9%, UKIP 17.7%

AndyJS' votes cast was:
    Con 28.1%, Lab 33.7%, LD 10.8%, UKIP 18.4%

Survation's EU Parliament poll was:
    Con 23%, Lab 27%, LD 9%, UKIP 32%.

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/May-voting-poll-Mirror-tables.pdf

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dGZMVENacEVqMUI0bWZaQk13c041S3c&usp=sheets_web#gid=0
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,591

"Where would such a result leave the Westminster parties? Somewhere between a state of denial and shock, probably. There are always reasons to rationalise away exceptional results as an aberration"
    And the Scottish Conservatives are still in denial and shock 17 years after the 1997 wipeout.

This interests me.

The Scottish Tories have achieved more than 15% (and less than 20%) of the popular vote in every national Scottish election in the last 20 years as far as I can tell, both to Westminster and Holyrood.

What is the nature of this "denial"?

If we end up with a separated Scotland, I'd say that may well lead to a Scottish Conservative recovery. Clearly there is a strong core support at that level.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I believe the results yesterday suggest little difference between swings in the marginals and elsewhere which rather reduces the significance of the Ashcroft marginals' poll due out today. As for the Euro poll it looks as if UKIP will win with Labour second maybe not much ahead of the Tories. However, the effect of lower pols in the many areas which did not have local elections needs to be factored in to any analysis.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Still some disparity between final councilor numbers and gains/losses between the final Guardian and BBC figures.

BBC Lab 1891+292,CON 1259-201,LD 404-284,UKIP 157+155

Guardian Lab 2047+328,CON 1333-171,LD 409-244,UKIP163+128

And what finally were share figures?the 17% figure for UKIP looks too low.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited May 2014

Survation's local election poll was:
    Con 23.9%, Lab 35.8%, LD 12.9%, UKIP 17.7%

AndyJS' votes cast was:
    Con 28.1%, Lab 33.7%, LD 10.8%, UKIP 18.4%

Survation's EU Parliament poll was:
    Con 23%, Lab 27%, LD 9%, UKIP 32%.

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/May-voting-poll-Mirror-tables.pdf

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dGZMVENacEVqMUI0bWZaQk13c041S3c&usp=sheets_web#gid=0

A very good illustration of the 'reliability' of opinion polling - Ashcroft, etc. Please take note. And these results were in electoral areas which would be expected to favour Labour.
  • Options
    MattW said:

And the Scottish Conservatives are still in denial and shock 17 years after the 1997 wipeout.

This interests me.

The Scottish Tories have achieved more than 15% (and less than 20%) of the popular vote in every national Scottish election in the last 20 years as far as I can tell, both to Westminster and Holyrood.

If we end up with a separated Scotland, I'd say that may well lead to a Scottish Conservative recovery. Clearly there is a strong core support at that level.

Agreed. Independence would give a big boost to the centre-right in Scotland. I myself will be leaving the SNP post-independence and helping to build a solid centre-right force in Scottish politics. And there are a significant number of SNP members like me who believe in the wisdom of market forces and entrepreneurship.

The 15% core SCON vote that you identify hides the fact that at least the same number again (actually, probably more like another 25% of the electorate) are also centre-right in their thinking. It is just that they cannot bring themselves to ever vote for Ruth's sorry bunch. Very few self-respecting Scots could.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,738
    MattW said:

What is the nature of this "denial"?The SNP are experts at it:

Treasury sources said they decided to conduct the most “comprehensive” analysis yet of a separate Scotland’s finances after the Scottish Government’s 670-page White Paper on independence included only a single page of figures covering one financial year.........

Civil servants have calculated that Scotland would need the population increase over the next 20 years – the equivalent of a city the size of Edinburgh – because there are fewer workers north of the Border paying taxes to fund each OAP’s pension......

The White Paper suggested increasing immigration to help meet the pension funding shortfall but gave no indication about the scale of the influx that would be required.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10852942/Independent-Scotland-would-need-500000-more-immigrants-to-afford-state-pension.html
  • Options

MattW said:

The SNP are experts at it:

Treasury sources said they decided to conduct the most “comprehensive” analysis yet of a separate Scotland’s finances after the Scottish Government’s 670-page White Paper on independence included only a single page of figures covering one financial year.........

Civil servants have calculated that Scotland would need the population increase over the next 20 years – the equivalent of a city the size of Edinburgh – because there are fewer workers north of the Border paying taxes to fund each OAP’s pension......

The White Paper suggested increasing immigration to help meet the pension funding shortfall but gave no indication about the scale of the influx that would be required.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10852942/Independent-Scotland-would-need-500000-more-immigrants-to-afford-state-pension.html

Too wee. Too poor. Too stupid.

Yes, yes, we've heard it all before. But, by all means, give the old gramophone record another crank. This time it it sure to convert all those floating voters, unlike the previous ten million performances of the cracked record.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    First things first: many thanks, David, for a wonderful article - I'd say you're at the top of your form! Bless you.

Next, UKIP's problem is a consequence of its novelty. It didn't know how to focus its energies on its winnable seats because it didn't know where they were. It does now, and I expect Farage to make full use of the information he now has (even if it means losing a few disgruntled activists on the way).

And then there's the real problem... representative democracy is hypothecated on the legitimacy of power. (Or the existence of authority, if you prefer to call it that.) And every day there are more voters who, for a variety of reasons on both left and right, no longer consider Parliaments and Councils - possibly even because we have more of the former and fewer of the latter than a couple of generations ago - authoritative, legitimate. I don't know why this should be so (and I can't say that the name of any Peebie who does springs to mind, either) although partial answers must surely include:-

(a) the failure of politicians to arrest national economic decline - possibly an unreasonable expectation, but there it is - for such decline leads inevitably to demographic decline and so, together with the laws of economics, employers are led to prefer immigrant to indigenous labour (even when the latter is available). This leads to more and more voters looking for a party that is bound to be in opposition - and markets meet demand so UKIP and the Greens are parties in their own right, not factions within larger ones, as they would be in, say, the USA.

(b) a further consequence of demographic decline: the ageing of the electorate - it is always harder to respect those much younger than yourself, it doesn't come naturally but requires a conscious act of will.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Given how hard it is to poll local elections, that was a damn good effort from Survation.

WRT comparing 2013/2014 for UKIP :-

1. The meaningful comparison to draw is in those districts thad had elections in both years. For example, UKIP certainly polled worse in Eastleigh, but look as if they polled better in Essex, and about the same in Hertfordshire. Presumably, we can check this from Andy J S ' excellent spreadsheets.

2. Wait till R & T deliver their verdict. Their analysis is the most definitive. In terms of seats won, UKIP's performance was at the top end of most analysts' expectations.

WRT the Euros, if Survation are right, we should expect to see UKIP poll about two thirds better than in the locals.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

MattW said:

The SNP are experts at it:

Yes, yes, we've heard it all before. But, by all means, give the old gramophone record another crank. This time it it sure to convert all those floating voters, unlike the previous ten million performances of the cracked record.
    Just one page of economic analysis in a 670 page White Paper?

That didn't spell out that "some" immigration was "500,000"?

You can hardly complain if someone else is doing the homework the SNP should have done.

But we know how the SNP deals with dissenting opinion in Scotland:

SNP MSPs have been accused of "doctoring" a Holyrood committee report on an independent Scotland's EU membership.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/snp-under-fire-for-doctored-report-on-eu-membership.24309029

Welcome to the brave new SNPLAND!
  • Options

Well of course you're welcome to your own opinion, especially on your own site, but I won't be following you on that bet. As far as I can see, even AIFE taking 5% won't prevent UKIP from topping the Euro-poll.

As for the locals, I was looking at the numbers - the real ones, not projections that are at best questionable. Now it might be that it's not easy trying to produce a national equivalent share when UKIP have usually polled low single digits and then soar to four-, five- or more-fold. How do you know what the real areas of strength are? How do handle all the seats they didn't stand in last time? My guess is that the NEV projection is based far too much on UNS and misses a sufficient element of proportionality, and hence is being skewed by not doing too well in London (a factor that almost certainly wasn't accounted for in 2013 as there were no elections there even though the 2009 Euros showed it to be an area of weakness second only to Scotland).

As I said in the leader, the locals were neither a triumph nor a disaster for any party. If I had to give scores, they'd be:

UKIP 7/10 - very strong advance in the polls, similar to last year across England outside London, marred by a failure to take more seats.
    Lab 5.5/10 - gains short of expectations and leakage of votes in their heartlands, but gains all the same.
    Con - 4.5/10 - progress in terms of catching Labour but mainly because Labour is leaking rather than the Tories going up.
    LD - 3/10 - more losses than the Tories despite starting with far fewer councillors. Some areas of resilience in local strength but far from all; near wipeout votewise in many others.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Now, now, Stuart.

The SNP only claim Scotland is too wee and too poor to have it's own currency with too small a tax base to fund their wild schemes.

It's UKIP that claim their voters are too stupid.

@reporterboy: That UKIP do worse in younger high density multi-cultural better educated areas is true...not sure how smart it is of them to point it out
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I wonder if someone could enlighten me about PNS. I'm used to dealing with statistics, and I understand the difference between populations and statistics.

Your sample is unrepresentative (bad), so you need to make allowances for this (bad), This is possible only if you have information about the population - why the sample is unrepresentative for example. I understand why they use previous voting patterns and such but the assumption is that this is static. And that young educated cockneys will behave like young educated Scots like MalcolmG, for example.

Therefore the statisticians make assumptions based on previous experience of a party like Ukip coming through and having such an "interesting" media baptism.

You would have to make some very broad assumptions. Indeed some very brave assumptions. You might be totally wrong and you'd have no idea about standard errors.

So overall, am I right in assuming that it's what we used to call (with tongue in cheek) an educated guess?

An interesting exercise but only that, surely?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Very interesting piece, cheers for writing it, Mr. Herdson.

I must admit, I'd forgotten about Newark and expected Act III to be the Scottish vote. It'll be intriguing to see how the European votes go, just a shame we have to wait a day and a half for counting to start.

F1: P3 is from 10-11am, so I hope to have a pre-qualifying piece up shortly after 11.
  • Options
    Good post Innocent Abroad (and of course, you are right to thank David for a wonderful article, which I omitted to do).

- "every day there are more voters who, for a variety of reasons on both left and right, no longer consider Parliaments and Councils - possibly even because we have more of the former and fewer of the latter than a couple of generations ago - authoritative, legitimate. I don't know why this should be so "

Is Ted Heath's vandalisation of the county system in the 1970s not a huge part of the explanation?

Take Scotland for example, where local identities with nearly a thousand years of continuous history (eg. Moray, Ayrshire, Wigtownshire) were wiped out by a distant government in London that did not even have a majority of Scottish MPs. That wilful destruction of many local "demos" lead to a fundamental erosion of voter trust in authority and power.

Perhaps only a detail, but I cannot help feeling that the destruction of the county system was some kind of turning point.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Scott_P said:

Now, now, Stuart.

The SNP only claim Scotland is too wee and too poor to have it's own currency with too small a tax base to fund their wild schemes.
    Senior Treasury officials have said that Alex Salmond's promise to offer free nursery places to every child under five after Scottish independence "simply doesn't add up".

In a withering attack on one of the first minister's flagship policies for September's referendum, the Treasury said Salmond's Swedish-style proposals were based on hiring about 21,000 unemployed women who did not exist.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/24/alex-salmond-free-nursery-promise-treasury-scottish-independence

I expect they are locked in a room somewhere along with Salmond's EU Legal opinion.....
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    edited May 2014
    Votes cast in Newcastle under Lyme Borough

Lab 9766
    UKIP 8358
    Con 7247
    LD 1930
    Green 1001
    Other 181

Spectacular gains for UKIP in the old mining areas unseating former MP and Labour leader.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Big balls bet by OGH ! Could be the only LD happy with the results come Sunday.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Scott_P said:

Now, now, Stuart.

It's UKIP that claim their voters are too stupid.

@reporterboy: That UKIP do worse in younger high density multi-cultural better educated areas is true...not sure how smart it is of them to point it out
    This seems to refer to Suzanne Evans radio interview the other day. Her actual remarks are not controversial.

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2189867-ukip-has-taken-votes-from-all-parties

twitter.com/SuzanneEvans1/status/469805939613118465
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, there was a n interesting BBC piece about the rise of county flags (obviously some, like Yorkshire, have well-known ones but other counties had started creating or reclaiming old flags). It included three maps showing how counties vary according to history and two other divisions (political and something else, maybe ceremonial). It just seems daft not to have counties be consistent.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

And then there's the real problem... representative democracy is hypothecated on the legitimacy of power. (Or the existence of authority, if you prefer to call it that.) And every day there are more voters who, for a variety of reasons on both left and right, no longer consider Parliaments and Councils - possibly even because we have more of the former and fewer of the latter than a couple of generations ago - authoritative, legitimate. I don't know why this should be so (and I can't say that the name of any Peebie who does springs to mind, either) although partial answers must surely include:-

The best explanation I've heard makes it a natural consequence of the decline in respect for authority figures across a wide range of fields.

To a great extent this is to government policy over multiple decades, but also to the development of a consumer led culture and to the availability of information.

Put simply, if - for example - a teacher or a doctor no longer has any power or responsibility (e.g. to decide what they want to teach, to impose discipline where required, to treat their patients as they see fit) then they are no longer decision makers but simply agents in a process. Add into this the belief that you can appeal against any decision that they make - to the head teacher, to the governors, etc - with a good chance that these bodies will overturn the decision for political reasons then there is simply no reason to respect the teacher/doctor.

Bluntly speaking: if you take authority away from these individuals, why should people continue to treat them as if they have it. The answer has to be to find talented individuals, to provided them the freedom to act, to reward them for success and to punish them for failure. The nice all-comforting cuddly blanket approach simply doesn't work.

As for politicians - once there is a culture of questioning all authority figures it is very easy to question leaders as well. Add in the media culture that has developed (thanks Ali - I know Bernard started it, but you are really to blame), the general British wish to mock leaders (a healthy attitude, IMHO), the decline in the quality of politicians as we have seen it shift from a vocation to a career and you have a real problem. That why things such as the Standards Commission are so dangerous - and why I really really hate the rush that politicians have to "report" their opponents for the most minor of transgressions: if these people are suitable to be our national leaders they must, at a minimum, be capable of self-policing. If they need a Standards Commission they simply shouldn't be in Parliament at all.

Grumpf. Rant over. May be I'll be in a better mood after coffee... @alanbrooke and @richardnabavi will be pleased to know I have made a pot of Dunkin' Donuts filter coffee rather than any instant muck ;-)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Senior Treasury officials have said that Alex Salmond's promise to offer free nursery places to every child under five after Scottish independence "simply doesn't add up".

What on earth are "Senior Treasury officials" doing joining the spinning fest surrounding a highly political campaign? Besides securing whatever bonus is associated with meeting their explicitly stated target of helping oppose Scottish independence? How far the UK civil service has fallen.
  • Options

Well of course you're welcome to your own opinion, especially on your own site, but I won't be following you on that bet. As far as I can see, even AIFE taking 5% won't prevent UKIP from topping the Euro-poll.

As for the locals, I was looking at the numbers - the real ones, not projections that are at best questionable. Now it might be that it's not easy trying to produce a national equivalent share when UKIP have usually polled low single digits and then soar to four-, five- or more-fold. How do you know what the real areas of strength are? How do handle all the seats they didn't stand in last time? My guess is that the NEV projection is based far too much on UNS and misses a sufficient element of proportionality, and hence is being skewed by not doing too well in London (a factor that almost certainly wasn't accounted for in 2013 as there were no elections there even though the 2009 Euros showed it to be an area of weakness second only to Scotland).

As I said in the leader, the locals were neither a triumph nor a disaster for any party. If I had to give scores, they'd be:

UKIP 7/10 - very strong advance in the polls, similar to last year across England outside London, marred by a failure to take more seats.
    Lab 5.5/10 - gains short of expectations and leakage of votes in their heartlands, but gains all the same.
    Con - 4.5/10 - progress in terms of catching Labour but mainly because Labour is leaking rather than the Tories going up.
    LD - 3/10 - more losses than the Tories despite starting with far fewer councillors. Some areas of resilience in local strength but far from all; near wipeout votewise in many others.
    It's Labour that seems to be getting the kicking in the media though.

I suspect this is because (a) they don't want to praise UKIP; (b) Conservatives do badly rapidly (accurately or not) becomes a UKIP takes votes from the Tories story; and (c) who are the another party again?
  • Options
    So far, I see UKIP have also won 3 council seats in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    edited May 2014
    Neil said:

What on earth are "Senior Treasury officials" doing joining the spinning fest surrounding a highly political campaign? Besides securing whatever bonus is associated with meeting their explicitly stated target of helping oppose Scottish independence? How far the UK civil service has fallen.
    This is my experience. The politicisation of the civil service that began under Nu Labour and has accelerated ever since. The Civil Service used to be about advice to Ministers and delivery of policy that had been properly thought out. Now it's little more than an extension of the message management machine. In the 20 years I have been involved in policy work there is no doubt that that the change in ways of working has been reflected in how it is portrayed on TV. That is from Yes Minister to The Thick of It and the London 2012 spoof.
  • Options

Is Ted Heath's vandalisation of the county system in the 1970s not a huge part of the explanation?

Based on the Labour Government's Wheatley Report of 1969?

Well, at least no one would be so daft as to vandalise Scottish regional policing nowadays, would they?
  • Options

Mr. Dickson, there was a n interesting BBC piece about the rise of county flags (obviously some, like Yorkshire, have well-known ones but other counties had started creating or reclaiming old flags). It included three maps showing how counties vary according to history and two other divisions (political and something else, maybe ceremonial). It just seems daft not to have counties be consistent.

The historic counties remain, don't they? It's just they are no longer administrative regions.

My father-in-law always refused to accept Coventry was not in Warwickshire, so always put the county name on the address when he had to send a letter there. They all got through!!

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

This is my experience. The politicisation of the civil service that began under Nu Labour and has accelerated ever since. The Civil Service used to be about advice to Ministers and delivery of policy that had been properly thought out. Now it's little more than an extension of the message management machine.

In my own brief (and unhappy!) experience in a central Government department I was shocked that officials seemed obsessed with carrying out their Minister's / SPaD's wishes of never answering a PQ in a useful or informative way unless it couldnt possibly be avoided. When these changes become formalised many civil servants will squeal and complain but they laid the grounds for it themselves.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ashcroft post EU poll 4000 sample result teaser

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/05/lord-ashcroft-we-dont-yet-know-how-people-many-voted-ukip-in-the-european-elections-but-heres-what-they-think.html

But at the next election, their votes are up for grabs – especially for the Tories. Two thirds of Thursday’s UKIP voters think David Cameron is the best available Prime Minister, compared to a quarter for Ed Miliband. And nearly seven in ten trust Cameron and Osborne more than Miliband and Balls when it comes to running the economy. (Indeed, one in ten Labour voters trust the Tory duo more than their own two Eds).

• Options
    And the Kipper killer

"As for next May, only half of them expect to stay with UKIP. One fifth already say they will go back to the Tories, one in ten will vote Labour, and 14 per cent say they don’t know what they will do."
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    MattW said:

This interests me.

Good morning all. I was going to point out that Stuart is a Tory but just cant bring himself to be a British one so is of the SNP variety. As he says there is a substantial minority within the SNP who are naturally centre-right in their political philosophy and if Scotland votes YES in September I would hope they would return to the (new) fold.
  • Options
    Re: AIFE

"Took 5&6 year olds to polling booth and asked if they recognised parties on the EP paper. 5yr old said UKIP at top, 6yr old corrected him."

twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/469382089021067265
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    So where are the best Ukip results? Are there any that might translate into Westminster gains?

Great Yarmouth was good for them, they took 10 out of 13 seats up for election (6 from Tories and 4 from Labour), meaning Labour lost control of the council.
  • Options
    Excellent article as always from David.

Can one of the experts on here explain the following to me please?

We accept that turnout in the Euros was likely to be higher in areas where there were also council elections on Thursday. The BBC, SKY etc extrapolate the national numbers Lab 31, Tory 29, UKIP 17 and LibDem 13 from the council results.

If the turnout across the rest of the country was lower and even allowing for some people supporting UKIP with their euro vote and a traditional party with their council vote, how can 17% jump to 25-30% ? I ponder this especially given that in Scotland, Wales and those parts of rural England which did not have local elections, UKIP is hardly top dog. UKIP's strongest areas of Kent, Essex and East Anglia had council elections and the best way to describe their achievement is they deprived the Tories of overall control in a number of councils and Labour in the odd one or two.

So there is my question, if 17% is roughly correct as NEV, how on earth in a lower poll could 17% become 25-30% ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    @Charles

I agree, and most Doctors and Teachers that I know feel regulated to despair by central bodies. It is a major factor in early retirements (it is rare to find a GP over 55 now, but common to be practicing at 70 25 years ago, and in other countries).

One major hope I had from the Tories in 2010 was to fulfill their manifesto promise of letting those of us at the coalface get on with the work without micromanagement by civil servants who do not know their arthroscope from their proctoscope. I was very dissapointed by the simultaneously controlling and ineffective structures that they imposed centrally.

We had our CQC visit earlier this year, they spotted little that mattered and obsessed over irrelevancies. Fortunately we have good and effective Senior Management at our Trust, but there is no way that the CQC is up to the job.

I think Andy Burnham was right in wanting to integrate social care and health care, with local councilors on the board. This would give both accountable local oversight and democracy to the NHS. Ed Milibands kicked into the long grass, seemingly because he sees Burnham as a threat to his own position.

In short, I think respect is mirrored. If politicians trust and respect the people then they will get trust and respect back. If people feel persecuted their only response to central micromanagement can be to vote out their persecutors.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, yes, if it appeared I said historic counties don't exist that was an error of clarity on my part.
  • Options
    Everyone is going to have to get used to a four party system, including OfCom.

I have to say I'm struggling with the idea that the Locals were a disaster for UKIP. They looked pretty good to me. The issue now, surely, is whether they (and the Euros) are the start of something or a high water mark. One thing seems certain - UKIP voters were by far the most motivated to turn out on Thursday. To have a chance of capitalising on that UKIP needs to maintain its momentum. With that in mind, one thing to watch out for will be the manifesto and the non-EU/immigration policies UKIP develops. Does the leadership and party core stick to its right wing economic outlook or will there be a swing to Old Labour? A lot may hinge on that come the general election.
  • Options
    "I am forecasting an almost complete wipeout of Liberal Democrat MEPs, with the retention of only one (in the South East region) and this is in doubt."

http://www.peter-ould.net/2014/05/21/final-euros-prediction/
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Interesting article by MIchael White in the Guardian on how to deal with N Farage.Answer ignore him.A similar approach might be useful towards Alec Salmond.Both are very good at exploiting opportunities for keeping themselves in the public eye.Frage should be thanking Nick Clegg for his invitation to debate.It was that event that launched the mommentum for UKIP.
  • Options

I have to say I'm struggling with the idea that the Locals were a disaster for UKIP. They looked pretty good to me. The issue now, surely, is whether they (and the Euros) are the start of something or a high water mark. One thing seems certain - UKIP voters were by far the most motivated to turn out on Thursday. To have a chance of capitalising on that UKIP needs to maintain its momentum. With that in mind, one thing to watch out for will be the manifesto and the non-EU/immigration policies UKIP develops. Does the leadership and party core stick to its right wing economic outlook or will there be a swing to Old Labour? A lot may hinge on that come the general election.

I would expect the majority of UKIP general election policies to be linked to EU membership. Energy should be a good better-off-with-UKIP policy for them.
  • Options

We accept that turnout in the Euros was likely to be higher in areas where there were also council elections on Thursday. The BBC, SKY etc extrapolate the national numbers Lab 31, Tory 29, UKIP 17 and LibDem 13 from the council results.

If the turnout across the rest of the country was lower and even allowing for some people supporting UKIP with their euro vote and a traditional party with their council vote, how can 17% jump to 25-30% ? I ponder this especially given that in Scotland, Wales and those parts of rural England which did not have local elections, UKIP is hardly top dog. UKIP's strongest areas of Kent, Essex and East Anglia had council elections and the best way to describe their achievement is they deprived the Tories of overall control in a number of councils and Labour in the odd one or two.

So there is my question, if 17% is roughly correct as NEV, how on earth in a lower poll could 17% become 25-30% ?

Lots of split-ticket voting. Survation suggests that 41% of people who voted UKIP in the Euros voted for someone else in the locals. That would imply a Euro vote share of 29%.
  • Options

In short, I think respect is mirrored. If politicians trust and respect the people then they will get trust and respect back. If people feel persecuted their only response to central micromanagement can be to vote out their persecutors.

Sums it up very nicely.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft has an interesting piece on Thursday. 50% of UKIP voters polled likely to revert to usual support at GE. 20% already decided to return to Tories, 10% to Labour.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

And the Kipper killer

"As for next May, only half of them expect to stay with UKIP. One fifth already say they will go back to the Tories, one in ten will vote Labour, and 14 per cent say they don’t know what they will do."

I think his last poll said half of current-LD were soft. LD polling numbers haven't varied significantly since late 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#Graphical_summary
  • Options
    @politicshome: Shadow Cabinet Minister Michael Dugher tells @BBCRadio4 that Labour “made extremely good progress” in the local elections

All the way from complacency to outright denial...
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, I agree. Moving from 2 councillors to 157 (are all results now in?) is a significant shift.

Mr. H, I half-agree. UKIP had been consistently doing well in the polls and beating the Lib Dems, but Clegg's debate offer helped to cement that. It wasn't so much the engine driving the UKIP car as a Clegg-installed supercharger.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Charles [8.14am] Thanks for your response. The issue is both deeper and simpler than you suppose.

You can only base authority on reason (and a GP is an excellent example of this) for so long. Authority is properly based on tradition (e.g. "because I say so, and I am your father") or at the very least the prestige that attaches to having spent years obtaining information and skills. Nowadays information, at least, can be obtained from a keyboard and screen. With no way to check on its value - which suggests, if I again apply market theory, that we want information but have little regard for its quality. And one of the risks of democracy is people saying "so what if the crowd I voted for are a bunch of clowns? We can always vote 'em out next time." And if enough folk say that, all the parties turn into clowns...
  • Options
    I agree, which makes projecting Westminster shares from the locals little better than interpreting tea leaves! Particularly when comparing 2013 apples to 2014 oranges.

We will have very different vote shares on Sunday. Better to look at the raw data compiled by the PB spreadsheet geeks, praise be upon them!
    Sean_F said:

Lots of split-ticket voting. Survation suggests that 41% of people who voted UKIP in the Euros voted for someone else in the locals. That would imply a Euro vote share of 29%.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Interesting line from OGH. Makes it clear that we can't properly interpret these votes until we know what happened at the Euros. If he's right and UKIP don't top the poll, the narrative will be turned on its head.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

@Charles

I agree, and most Doctors and Teachers that I know feel regulated to despair by central bodies. It is a major factor in early retirements (it is rare to find a GP over 55 now, but common to be practicing at 70 25 years ago, and in other countries).

Surely one factor in GP retirements is how much they are paid. If someone paid me £100k for a few years I would certainly manage to drop off the treadmill sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ah! So this guessy thing is NEV then. Thanks. But why is it not called it a PFG - A paid for guess?

I'd agree about respect for knowledge and experience. Politicians can only be assessed by subjective means, yet they want so-called objective methods for others so they can retain control. Targets are another example. They will be achieved even if the objective is not. But it then allows politicians to claim success even if the service is poorer.

It's a shame about older GPs retiring, Dr Fox, but I suspect there's also the blame culture involved. It must be a complicated job of assessment, and mistakes are inevitable. Inevitable, but there must always be a scapegoat nowadays.
  • Options
    Are we expecting a Rallings % Thrasher NEV? Thrasher was quoted yesterday as saying UKIP had done relatively poorly as these were difficult seats for them, which implies that their figures should move them up and not down.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Thanks Sean, however given that Survation understated the Tory vote share by 5% and overstated Labour's vote share by 5%, even if they were almost bang on for UKIP and LibDem, not sure I would put much trust in them. We will know in 48hrs time. Even 29% would mean Survation had over-stated UKIP by 3% in their final poll. If they are as out with the 2 big parties as they were with the council elections, all 3 parties could be anywhere between 23 and 27%
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Great Yarmouth percentages:

Ukip 36%
    Con 32%
    Lab 29%

Maybe they would be controlling the council if it wasn't only one-third up for election this week.
  • Options
    Clearly a good pension helps, but the terms of this have worsened over the years. It was quite possible to retire early on better terms 20 years ago, but GPs did not, because they enjoyed the professionalism of their jobs.

Worsening pension terms would not help retention of the most capable, merely drive further departures. I am sure TFS feels much the same.

@Charles

Surely one factor in GP retirements is how much they are paid. If someone paid me £100k for a few years I would certainly manage to drop off the treadmill sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Shadow Cabinet Minister Michael Dugher tells @BBCRadio4 that Labour “made extremely good progress” in the local elections

Labour did make very good progess. 2010 was a relatively high watermark for Labour as our voters normally do not give a f*** regarding local elections. 2010 was different. It coincided with GE2010.

London results were spectacular ! May 2010 was a very good result for Labour, in the locals and in the GE [ compared to the rUK ]. To build on that was unbelievable.

Thursday / Frday night was a game of two halves.

I remember seeing at one time, UKIP gains of 50+ and Labour in small single digits. At one time I even saw Labour -2. The second half, when London votes rolled in shows what London is. A great city where people do not vote on who moved in next door.

The Hammersmith & Fulham vote was the cream. All of us had thought that H&CF had gone the Wandsworth way. Lowering Council Tax forever by cutting services will create a hard core vote base. They defied that. In Wandsworth too, it was Labour's best result since 1990.
  • Options
    Thinking... maybe some of the softer UKIP support split their vote because there were both local and Euro elections and they therefore had the opportunity. If there had been only locals, some would have gone for UKIP in those.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409

If anyone on here were to compare two different polls and try to draw that sort of conclusion you would rightly slap them down. It is ridiculous to try and pretend that you are comparing like with like and then claim there has been a drop in vote for UKIP since last year. The only meaningful comparison that can be made is with 2010 when these seats were last contested.
    I am really saddened by OGH posting this. Calling these figures a disaster for UKIP based on national extrapolation in the most difficult election to nationally extrapolate in a generation is out Mandelsoning Mandelson. I have always respected him over the years as someone who would give the true picture regardless of how distressing he found that picture, even if the Libdems were going to be vanquished by a coalition of Joe Stalin and Herman Goering. I suspect his bookie will be pleased tomorrow though.

What is noteworthy is that the UKIP support, although more uniform than the lib dems is coalescing in places with UKIP winning the popular vote in places as diverse as Thurrock, Dudley and Rotherham. If they keep calm and build on this then they could be in for a few MPs in 2015. If they and the DUP had 25 seats between them in a hung parliament life would be very interesting..
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I hope none of the main parties do not block Nigel Farage from participating in the leaders debates
    for the next general election.
    I for one would like to hear his parties policies for the UK.
    A light needs to be on,what they propose.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It was fun to listen to him peddling the "Labour winning where it matters" mantra and then seeing his face when Jeremy Vine showed that in the key wards Labour had fallen 12% since 2012.

Thursday has proved that over the next 11 months there is all to play for and such lead as Labour retains is almost certainly not enough to deliver them a victory next year. There is however a large set of variables between that and a Tory outright victory. Will be interesting to see how the polls react, if at all, in the next few weeks. We have still to see the climax in the Avery v Compouter love bombing :)
  • Options

Clearly a good pension helps, but the terms of this have worsened over the years. It was quite possible to retire early on better terms 20 years ago, but GPs did not, because they enjoyed the professionalism of their jobs.

Worsening pension terms would not help retention of the most capable, merely drive further departures. I am sure TFS feels much the same.

@Charles

It's not just pension. For most people the problem is you need more money in the first few years of retirement as you will want to be more active. You don't need a pension for that, just some savings. Labour increased GP pay dramatically, maybe some just find they have money sloshing around. I agree that if they were enjoying the profession they might stay on, especially if there are part time opportunities, but as I understand it there are probably already too many part-timers as a lot of women GPS go part time after having families.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

And the Kipper killer

They might, but they have already crossed the rubicon once and might do so again, especially if events, dear boy, events intervene. The only way for Labour and Tory to minimise this risk is to tack away from the centre ground towards their core vote which neither can afford to do.

THAT is what the other parties will be fretting about.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Yorkcity said:

I hope none of the main parties do not block Nigel Farage from participating in the leaders debates

Yes, it would be a travesty if UKIP is denied a place in the debates.

If you took the OFCOM on fact value, then no fourth party could possibly ever join the debates. They don't get equal or reasonable media exposure, hence they get no MP's and guess what they are denied a place in the next debate !

We need Mr Farage [ pronounced as "Garage" - we are English ] to articulate his policies and explain like everybody else how they would work and how they would be funded !

• Options
    Telling précis of the Beeb's top news story, under their headline: "Ed Miliband's Labour says it has performed well where it matters".

It is precisely this kind of writing off of large parts of the electorate which is getting their goat. Douglas Alexander was on the radio on Thursday saying exactly the same thing. Now, he and Miliband might have a point about the importance of marginal in determining elections but who's to say what a marginal is? Rotherham wasn't; it is now, because the voters (who according to the Miliband quote 'don't matter'), have made it so.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Now the hard part starts & Labour is not ready for scrutiny of its personalities @rob_marchant http://t.co/mLZaZr3i6Y
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Thanks Sean, however given that Survation understated the Tory vote share by 5% and overstated Labour's vote share by 5%, even if they were almost bang on for UKIP and LibDem, not sure I would put much trust in them. We will know in 48hrs time. Even 29% would mean Survation had over-stated UKIP by 3% in their final poll. If they are as out with the 2 big parties as they were with the council elections, all 3 parties could be anywhere between 23 and 27%
    Survation overestimated Labour's local election vote share by 2.1 points, not 5.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited May 2014
    Yorkcity said:

Agreed. I'd very much like to hear what they've got to say about, for example, tax and the minimum wage.
  • Options

I would expect the majority of UKIP general election policies to be linked to EU membership. Energy should be a good better-off-with-UKIP policy for them.
    I'm expecting a full slate of policies including things such as grammar schools. I suspect though things that the other parties would dearly like to do but cannot due to the EU having the competency in this area will feature prominently though. This can reach far and wide. For example they could have a manifesto commitment to abolish the present railway structure and replace it with the old "big four" owning and operating both track and trains in a single company which currently cannot be done due to EU market rules that demand separation of track and train (and resulted in the structure of privatisation Major had to accept rather than his preferred option of the return of the big 4.
  • Options
    matt said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

So when a UKIP government expelled anybody who's not either pasty-complexioned (test: do you go red in the sun, sir) or are too clever by half, who will do the bottom end work? Let's hope that's it's the "indigenous".

I suspect the difference in london is far more likely to be due to insane house and rent prices forcing ordinary people to hand most of their wages over to buy to let spivs or banks for the privelege of living in a glorified cardboard box while the rich swan around and flaunt themselves before them than any ethnic issue.

• Options

Telling précis of the Beeb's top news story, under their headline: "Ed Miliband's Labour says it has performed well where it matters".

The other feature is the description of Labour as "Ed Miliband's Labour"......we know "David Cameron's Conservatives" helps the Tories - does appending Ed to Labour help Labour though.......

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    Millsy said:

Great Yarmouth percentages:

Ukip 36%
    Con 32%
    Lab 29%

Maybe they would be controlling the council if it wasn't only one-third up for election this week.

Interesting that last night Emily Maitlis said that outside London it was actually mathematically impossible for UKIP to win controls of almost any council in Thursday's elections because of this.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    surbiton said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes, it would be a travesty if UKIP is denied a place in the debates.

If you took the OFCOM on fact value, then no fourth party could possibly ever join the debates. They don't get equal or reasonable media exposure, hence they get no MP's and guess what they are denied a place in the next debate !

We need Mr Farage [ pronounced as "Garage" - we are English ] to articulate his policies and explain like everybody else how they would work and how they would be funded !

I wonder if "media exposure" is that big a deal?

For the past 6 weeks all the national print and TV media told the nation that UKIP were dreadful people. Their local election performance appears to have been unaffected by this, and they remain favourites to win the EU Parliament vote.

There are lots of internet and local media outlets that can help UKIP get their message across to potential supporters. As can the traditional political campaigning methods of knocking on doors, and hosting public meetings!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I wonder if someone could enlighten me about PNS. I'm used to dealing with statistics, and I understand the difference between populations and statistics.

Your sample is unrepresentative (bad), so you need to make allowances for this (bad), This is possible only if you have information about the population - why the sample is unrepresentative for example. I understand why they use previous voting patterns and such but the assumption is that this is static. And that young educated cockneys will behave like young educated Scots like MalcolmG, for example.

Therefore the statisticians make assumptions based on previous experience of a party like Ukip coming through and having such an "interesting" media baptism.

You would have to make some very broad assumptions. Indeed some very brave assumptions. You might be totally wrong and you'd have no idea about standard errors.

So overall, am I right in assuming that it's what we used to call (with tongue in cheek) an educated guess?

An interesting exercise but only that, surely?

Shhh.... Mike is laying UKIP at 1.25 over at Betfair as we speak, based upon those made up PNS figures. Let him get on with it I say. :)
  • Options
    Mr. Dave, if Farage wants to he can effectively bypass traditional media by using social networks like Twitter and Youtube.

Of course, that's not without peril, as a certain Gordon Brown proved.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Surbiton thomasnashe agreed.

However from the Conservative point of view the mantra will be there is only two possible prime ministers Cameron or Milliband therefore the debates will be stifled I expect.

Also it hard to see why the Conservatives would not do a deal with UKIP, as they went into coalition with the Lib Dems to gain power, so why not do a deal to stay in power, with a party more closely aligned to many of your potential voters.
  • Options
    Mr. City, neither UKIP nor the Conservatives will have a party-wide deal (local deals may occur for especially sceptical MPs).

It would be monumentally stupid for UKIP, which has many leftwing supporters, to effectively declare itself a mini-me Conservative Party. The Conservatives would have to provide something tangible for UKIP, such as a free run at prime targets, introducing a new rightwing party into the Commons and causing a major problem for itself in the future.

Perhaps even more importantly, Farage and Cameron loathe one another.
This discussion has been closed.