Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Checking the Political Weather in Wales

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Scottish independence referendum by phone: 'Even yes voters were polite'
    - Campaign Bites: an evening of Blether Together telephone canvassing with pro-union volunteers from Helensburgh

... "The yes campaign are everywhere and if we don't get out there then people will think they won't bother voting because we've lost already."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/scottish-independence-blog/2014/may/21/scottish-independence-referendum-campaign-bites-better-together-helensburgh

"The people I've spoken to tonight were overwhelmingly no, but even the yes voters were polite. People regularly say that they are fed up with the SNP scare-mongering; they are seen as negative now."

I can selectively quote too.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594

Well, here's a thing:

England's U17s football team has just become the European Champions.

On penalties.

Roll on Russia 2018!!

'kin hell.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974

I see Matthew D'Ancona is working his magic in the Evening Standard again tonight. It's his equivalent of the famous Guardian 'Boris will end life as we know it' article back in 2008.

I do wonder if UKIP are paying him.

Agent D'Ancona works tirelessly for the cause.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Can someone explain to me why you get three votes in the local council elections?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    antifrank said:

Scottish independence referendum by phone: 'Even yes voters were polite'
    - Campaign Bites: an evening of Blether Together telephone canvassing with pro-union volunteers from Helensburgh

... "The yes campaign are everywhere and if we don't get out there then people will think they won't bother voting because we've lost already."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/scottish-independence-blog/2014/may/21/scottish-independence-referendum-campaign-bites-better-together-helensburgh

"The people I've spoken to tonight were overwhelmingly no, but even the yes voters were polite. People regularly say that they are fed up with the SNP scare-mongering; they are seen as negative now."

I can selectively quote too.
    SNP's Project Feart following the failure of Project Fib.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

I see Matthew D'Ancona is working his magic in the Evening Standard again tonight. It's his equivalent of the famous Guardian 'Boris will end life as we know it' article back in 2008.

It's a shame that good men like you can't see that you're now working for an organisation actuated by xenophobia.

I shall make sure that I cast a vote to dilute the interests of the Neanderthals. To be clear, I am not particularly concerned by the Europhobia. Britain's relations with the EU are important, but secondary. But I must cast my vote to make clear that I am not one of the sad people hostile to good decent hard-working immigrants. This is important.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

I might do a thread on this.

A former archbishop of Canterbury has lambasted the "marketisation of politics" in Britain, blaming US Presidential-style televised debates and analysis driven by opinion polls as factors in making Britons "worse people".

Writing in the New Statesman, Rowan Williams, who is a book reviewer for the magazine, cited these two political strands as the reason why society has become increasingly "mistrustful" and easily swayed by "populist manipulation"......

....Opinion polls have become similarly ubiquitous in the UK, with parties using daily polling to get a better handle on public reaction.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/21/rowan-williams-lambasts-marketisation-of-politics-with-opinion-polls-and-televised-debates_n_5367095.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

In confessing this I may risk coming across as a bit slow, but I do not quite follow what he is saying at all. I am informed Dr Williams is an eloquent and intelligent man, but the quotes of his piece just looks like flowery words thrown together to little purpose to me. Perhaps if fully rested it would look more meaningful to me? The assumption that presdential style debates and a high frequency of opinion polling making us worse people and eroding our public health, appears at first glance as having been so self evident to the good Doctor that it does not require further explanation in his piece.

A plethora of opinion polling can be irritating and a relentless focus on making policy qwith one eye on them might have worries, but why their presence and the existence of presidential style debates signifies our society is going to crap, in essence, is unclear to me.

I did wonder on this bit though:

"The paradox Marquand might have flagged up even more clearly is that we are an increasingly mistrustful society (for the pretty obvious reason that we lack robust social bonds and tangible commitments to the common good) and yet, at the same time, an increasingly credulous society, apparently vulnerable to being swayed by various forms of populist manipulation.

if it is ok for our credulous society to be vulnerable to being swayed by other forms of manipulation, so long as it is not populist.
  • Options
    I don't know what's more shocking, England winning a tournament, or England winning a penalty shoot out.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

It's a shame that good men like you can't see that you're now working for an organisation actuated by xenophobia.

I shall make sure that I cast a vote to dilute the interests of the Neanderthals. To be clear, I am not particularly concerned by the Europhobia. Britain's relations with the EU are important, but secondary. But I must cast my vote to make clear that I am not one of the sad people hostile to good decent hard-working immigrants. This is important.
    As the grandson of good decent hard-working immigrants, the best way you can honour them is to vote conservative.

Or the party of in, the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Can someone explain to me why you get three votes in the local council elections?

Not everyone does. I presume you live in an area with multiple member constituencies, permitting you to vote for any combination of party or independent candidates you wish, rather than a single party list.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    [Can someone explain to me why you get three votes in the local council elections?]

I don't understand it that well. But I think its 3 councillors who will be elected. So, 3 councillors to vote for - 3 votes. 3 member ward.

Something like that.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

As the grandson of good decent hard-working immigrants, the best way you can honour them is to vote conservative.

It will be Green or Lib Dems. I shall make my mind up in the privacy of the polling booth. Since my other half can't vote, his wishes will weigh on my mind also.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

Well Matthew was in the SDP with Polly back in the day, so I'm not surprised there's similarity.

Difference is though, Polly has always spoken for nobody other than herself, where-as I do believe D'Ancna s intimately involved with Cameron and Osborne (he knew we was going to war with Libya before anybody for instance) So when he speaks you assume he is saying what Cameron and Osborne want his to say...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    But I must cast my vote to make clear that I am not one of the sad people hostile to good decent hard-working immigrants. This is important.

Listening to O'Flynn the other night, I thought it was UKIP policy to have MORE decent hard working immigrants, at the expense of fewer ones of poorer character and education...???

And that is the crux of this problem, isn't it? the 'rough with the smooth' nature of immigration right now?

To accept the smooth of the Indian doctor, Chinese programmer, Portuguese architect, Polish builder, we must accept the rough of the benefit cheat, gangmaster, people trafficker, terrorist, rapist and health tourist.

Why the f8ck should we?
  • Options
    UKIP really pushing hard in the SW. I'd already received a leaflet and a poster from them, and today two different postcard sized leaflets and an entire newspaper-esque 'UKIP news' with 4 A4 pages of content.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

I see Matthew D'Ancona is working his magic in the Evening Standard again tonight. It's his equivalent of the famous Guardian 'Boris will end life 'mas we know it' article back in 2008.

Good point. I have been seriously thinking of sitting this one out. But I think you may have just persuaded me to do my civic ...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    AndyJS said:

Perhaps more evidence of good luck for UKIP: there was heavy rain today in East Anglia, but tomorrow it's forecast to be fine and sunny. Since this will probably be the party's best region they wouldn't have wanted bad weather there tomorrow.

Given the Good Lord's response to gay marriage it would make sense to bless a pro-Ukip region like East Anglia with good weather tomorrow.
  • Options
    I really am interested in turnout figures on this one. Whatever one thinks of UKIP, if their rise manages either through support or opposition to them, to lead to an increase in turnout of some significance, then that is good news indeed.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'll be attempting to keep tabs on the popular vote on election night as council results are declared. But it may be difficult if reliable results aren't published on the official websites. Relying on Twitter for accurate results is always a bit risky.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Of the 4 people I've asked now, they're all voting for the kippers.

Well 2 definite, 1 is on hols but would be and 1 undecided Con/UKIP I think.

How representative do you think those 4 voters are of the great British public?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    To bed PBers!! For tomorrow we vote at dawn! or 9ish
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Grandiose said:

Friday and Saturday would be enough, no, for YouGov to poll enough people and ask how they actually voted? (I know nothing of electoral law on this point, much less EU law to avoid referential voting)

As I replied previously:
    The publication of exit polls in European parliamentary elections is governed by regulation 30 of the European Parliamentary Elections Regulations 2004 SI 2004/293. No person may publish an exit poll before the close of the poll. The close of poll means, in the case of a general election of MEPs, the close of the polling in the Member State whose electors are the last to vote in the election. A person who contravenes the prohibition is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction, to a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level five on the standard scale.

The Dutch may just ignore that.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380

To bed PBers!! For tomorrow we vote at dawn! or 9ish

Yes, me to - goodnight people.

• Options
    kle4 said:

A former archbishop of Canterbury has lambasted the "marketisation of politics" in Britain, blaming US Presidential-style televised debates and analysis driven by opinion polls as factors in making Britons "worse people".

Writing in the New Statesman, Rowan Williams, who is a book reviewer for the magazine, cited these two political strands as the reason why society has become increasingly "mistrustful" and easily swayed by "populist manipulation"......

....Opinion polls have become similarly ubiquitous in the UK, with parties using daily polling to get a better handle on public reaction.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/21/rowan-williams-lambasts-marketisation-of-politics-with-opinion-polls-and-televised-debates_n_5367095.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

In confessing this I may risk coming across as a bit slow, but I do not quite follow what he is saying at all. I am informed Dr Williams is an eloquent and intelligent man, but the quotes of his piece just looks like flowery words thrown together to little purpose to me. Perhaps if fully rested it would look more meaningful to me? The assumption that presdential style debates and a high frequency of opinion polling making us worse people and eroding our public health, appears at first glance as having been so self evident to the good Doctor that it does not require further explanation in his piece.

A plethora of opinion polling can be irritating and a relentless focus on making policy qwith one eye on them might have worries, but why their presence and the existence of presidential style debates signifies our society is going to crap, in essence, is unclear to me.

"The paradox Marquand might have flagged up even more clearly is that we are an increasingly mistrustful society (for the pretty obvious reason that we lack robust social bonds and tangible commitments to the common good) and yet, at the same time, an increasingly credulous society, apparently vulnerable to being swayed by various forms of populist manipulation.

if it is ok for our credulous society to be vulnerable to being swayed by other forms of manipulation, so long as it is not populist.
    I think his argument is that politicians are focussing/basing their policies on whether they are popular or not, not if they are the right thing to do.

And people are reading too much into the polls.

I mean, we're all guilty of using sub MOE changes in the YouGov to say that policy is good or bad.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

It will be Green or Lib Dems. I shall make my mind up in the privacy of the polling booth. Since my other half can't vote, his wishes will weigh on my mind also.
    Well I admire your principles and your eloquence.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    If we assume that anyone who would vote UKIP in the GE will be voting UKIP tomorrow, and assuming that turnout in the GE will be approx double the Euro turnout, we can get a ceiling of UKIP GE vote share by dividing their Euro vote by 2. So, 30% in the Euros equates to a max of 15% in the GE. If a third of there Euro voters switch back to another party for the GE, make that 10%. OK, so that's my prediction - 10% for UKIP in the GE.
  • Options
    taffys said:

But I must cast my vote to make clear that I am not one of the sad people hostile to good decent hard-working immigrants. This is important.

Listening to O'Flynn the other night, I thought it was UKIP policy to have MORE decent hard working immigrants, at the expense of fewer ones of poorer character and education...???

And that is the crux of this problem, isn't it? the 'rough with the smooth' nature of immigration right now?

To accept the smooth of the Indian doctor, Chinese programmer, Portuguese architect, Polish builder, we must accept the rough of the benefit cheat, gangmaster, people trafficker, terrorist, rapist and health tourist.

Why the f8ck should we?

Do you really think that the thrust of UKIP's campaign has revolved around having more immigrants?
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

kle4 said:

I think his argument is that politicians are focussing/basing their policies on whether they are popular or not, not if they are the right thing to do.

I mean, we're all guilty of using sub MOE changes in the YouGov to say that policy is good or bad.
    I remember once being relieved that the Hattie PIE chucking had caused no harm when Labour's YouGov score went up by 1pt.
  • Options

kle4 said:

In confessing this I may risk coming across as a bit slow, but I do not quite follow what he is

I just about got that from it, and I can understand thinking we should all do less of it...but he's terming it as us all becoming bad people and the public health of our society being eroded, in such a way as to suggest this is not us becoming slightly worse or our public health being slightly eroded, but an imminent and major moral concern. And that just seems like he's wildly exaggerating and so undermining his point, unless he means it in exactly that overblown way, in which case he needs to elaborate further, because that's absurd.

• Options

I don't know what's more shocking, England winning a tournament, or England winning a penalty shoot out.
    They scored all their kicks.

Surely Ukip will be claiming tomorrow that they are not really English.
  • Options
    An internal Liberal Democrat document reveals that the party is braced for a complete wipeout in the European parliamentary elections.

Senior party figures have been briefed to say that a failure to win any seats should be "expected" at this stage in the electoral cycle for a governing party.

The document, the contents of which have been leaked to the Guardian, advises Lib Dem spokespeople about what to say if the party wins between no seats and two seats in Strasbourg.

In that scenario, the document advises party figures to say: "Disappointed with the result but the party remains resolute and this was expected at this point in the electoral cycle."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/21/lib-dems-braced-for-wipeout-in-european-poll?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Briskin, the pre-qualifying piece will be up on Saturday.
  • Options
    Right, you can still get 7/2 on the Lib Dems getting zero seats with Shadsy

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/uk-european-election/total-seats-liberal-democrats
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I've had my possible options down to 3 parties for a few weeks now, but haven't made any further progress since then. I'll see if this helps:

http://www.euvox2014.eu/
  • Options

An internal Liberal Democrat document reveals that the party is braced for a complete wipeout in the European parliamentary elections.

Senior party figures have been briefed to say that a failure to win any seats should be "expected" at this stage in the electoral cycle for a governing party.

The document, the contents of which have been leaked to the Guardian, advises Lib Dem spokespeople about what to say if the party wins between no seats and two seats in Strasbourg.

In that scenario, the document advises party figures to say: "Disappointed with the result but the party remains resolute and this was expected at this point in the electoral cycle."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/21/lib-dems-braced-for-wipeout-in-european-poll?CMP=twt_gu

That's an absurd line, but it was obvious they'd been so briefed, or else they wouldn't have been letting slip for months they thought it possible (later 'likely') that they would return no MEPs. Of course, the need to spin returning any MEPs a success is also unsurprising:

If the party retains two to three MEPs, senior Lib Dems have been advised to say it represents "a good result considering the circumstances", while if it secures three to five MEPs, the document suggests "a very encouraging result … much better than almost everyone predicted".

Both of which are technically true, not that it makes facing a wipeout less humiliating

At this rate, they'll say that losing half their MPs is the sign of a governing party as well.

Where are they most likely to have a chance to retain an MEP anyway? I'd say SW but I presume it will be 3 Con and 3 UKIP down here.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

That's a thought-provoking post.

Insofar as UKIP is xenophobic, it's the xenophobia of Flanders and Swann, or Dad's Army, not the xenophobia of blood and soil nationalism. That is, it is pretty harmless. But, people like D'Ancona don't distinguish between the two.

So, I stand against the D'Anconas of this world.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    kle4 said:

That's an absurd line, but it was obvious they'd been so briefed, or else they wouldn't have been letting slip for months they thought it possible (later 'likely') that they would return no MEPs. Of course, the need to spin returning any MEPs a success is also unsurprising:

If the party retains two to three MEPs, senior Lib Dems have been advised to say it represents "a good result considering the circumstances", while if it secures three to five MEPs, the document suggests "a very encouraging result … much better than almost everyone predicted".

Both of which are technically true, not that it makes facing a wipeout less humiliating

At this rate, they'll say that losing half their MPs is the sign of a governing party as well.

Where are they most likely to have a chance to retain an MEP anyway? I'd say SW but I presume it will be 3 Con and 3 UKIP down here.
    I think the lib dems will get 3 or maybe 4 seats . Their polling is not that bad!! They can hardly fail to win a seat at least in the south East and London
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I've had my possible options down to 3 parties for a few weeks now, but haven't made any further progress since then. I'll see if this helps:

http://www.euvox2014.eu/

If you haven't made up your mind by now, I imagine your result will be similar to mine, a dead heat between three different European political groups, and three different UK parties as best choice depending on which party choice predictor I was using.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Do you really think that the thrust of UKIP's campaign has revolved around having more immigrants?

No the thrust of UKIP's campaign as I understand it is to have fewer, better quality immigrants.

But its not to exclude people on the basis of race, creed or nation. It's to exclude them coming on the basis of poor qualifications and dubious character.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

kle4 said:

I think the lib dems will get 3 or maybe 4 seats . Their polling is not that bad!! They can hardly fail to win a seat at least in the south East and London
    If the LD's votes are similar to the Greens, then they might only get 2 MEPs.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Next said:

kle4 said:

If the LD's votes are similar to the Greens, then they might only get 2 MEPs.
    Possibly but I think they cannot go lower than one . If they get two ,I think they will get three . I think they will also outperform at the ballot box as people will suddenly remember they exist when seen on the ballot paper and as they are the most extreme of a point of view about Europe (ie they love it the most) will surely get enough euro lovers to avoid the dreaded nil points
  • Options

kle4 said:

I don't see how they can fail to win a seat in the South East, or South West.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    edited May 2014
    taffys said:

No the thrust of UKIP's campaign as I understand it is to have fewer, better quality immigrants.

But its not to exclude people on the basis of race, creed or nation. It's to exclude them coming on the basis of poor qualifications and dubious character.

Exactly.

The current policy espoused by the Tories - and supported by Labour and the Lib Dems - is inherently racist as it clearly discriminates against immigrants from outside Europe irrespective of their skills or qualifications and in favour of immigrants from Europe even if they have nothing positive to offer the country.

Immigration controls are not racist. Selective immigration controls that exclude people purely on the basis of where they happen to be emigrating from are racist.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

Insofar as UKIP is xenophobic, it's the xenophobia of Flanders and Swann, or Dad's Army, not the xenophobia of blood and soil nationalism. That is, it is pretty harmless. But, people like D'Ancona don't distinguish between the two.

You may think that but you, and in diminishing degrees, other UKIP supporters who post here are fairly reasonable and do not resort to referring to the indigenous Britons. For indigenous of course read white. If one reads The Telegraph comment elections a cold shower is required. Thick, racist and white. Another view of UKIP.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    matt said:

Thick, racist and white.

The perfect description of Tory (and Labour/Lib Dem) immigration policy.
  • Options

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/uk-european-election/total-seats-liberal-democrats

Is this VALUE?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

Is this VALUE?

No!! I prefer 11/10 on 3 or more
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Is this VALUE?
    I got on at 5/1, so maybe not, I think backing both 1 and 2 seats, both at 4/1 maybe the value.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics · 2 mins
    YouGov/Sun poll for GE2015 - Labour lead up one to three points: CON 33%, LAB 36%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%

• Options
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 1m

YouGov/Sun poll for GE2015 - Labour lead up one to three points: CON 33%, LAB 36%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Ed Miliband loses his battle with a bacon buttie
    http://order-order.com/2014/05/21/video-eds-battle-of-the-bacon-butty/
  • Options
    Talking of value, thanks to Pulpstar's tip I backed the Tories to win on GE seats but lose on votes, at 100-1 this morning. I took all that was available from Paddy - the princely sum of £4.07.

I took the view that even the pollster known as ComedyResults had a greater than one in a hundred chance of being right.
  • Options
    taffys said:

What rot. It demonises Romanians and Bulgarians. For now it studiously avoids commenting on Ghanaians and Nigerians for no other reason than that it is electorally complicated (ie exposes their real rationale). The real thrust is clear for anyone with eyes to see.

UKIP is the party of pulling up the drawbridge. Its less sophisticated supporters understand that a lot better than its intellectual fellow-travellers.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Talking of value, thanks to Pulpstar's tip I backed the Tories to win on GE seats but lose on votes, at 100-1 this morning. I took all that was available from Paddy - the princely sum of £4.07.

I took the view that even the pollster known as ComedyResults had a greater than one in a hundred chance of being right.

Those tories who love FPTP KNOW!!!!!

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Is it the Lib Dems?

Tom Newton Dunn‏@tnewtondunn·42 secs
    At 10pm, we are publishing @YouGov's bombshell projection of who will win tomorrow's euro elections, plus MEPs breakdown. Standby.
  • Options
    Tim Montgomerie "For the first time in my life I thought about not voting Conservative tomorrow"

Tomorrow, for the first national election in UK history, the Tories will be outpolled by a party to their right. The only other time I think that has happened was Canada when the Reform Party outpolled the Progressive Tories. However, the Tories will not be alone, in France the UMP set to be outpolled by the FN + Dutch CDA/VVD by PVV
  • Options
    matt said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

You may think that but you, and in diminishing degrees, other UKIP supporters who post here are fairly reasonable and do not resort to referring to the indigenous Britons. For indigenous of course read white. If one reads The Telegraph comment elections a cold shower is required. Thick, racist and white. Another view of UKIP.
    But the internet attracts people who rant and rave. Comment is Free is full of equally vile remarks. Christian websites attract Nutters. The Atheist blogosphere attracts fanatics. But, in total, you're probably not looking at more than 5% of the population doing the ranting and raving.

• Options
    SeanT said:

The BBC tweet story is extraordinary, not because of what @journomummy said, but because she clearly felt it was perfectly acceptable to say it.

The metropolitan liberal-left really do believe all good people naturally agree with them; consequently, and by definition, anyone who disagrees or objects to their liberal-left views is a moron or a racist and can be safely ignored.

It's a repulsive mindset. She should be summarily sacked. Stuff like this is going to kill the BBC.

Obviously you are going way over the top again, over projecting that she believes that anyone who doesn't attend dinner parties with you and your mates in NW1 is a racist.

Yet you do have a nut of a point. My staff openly express their distaste for Ukip, in the office, for all to hear. That said Ukip are widely hated in most parts of normal London* so I guess they are pretty safe.

*This area does not include Hornchurch.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

taffys said:

What rot. It demonises Romanians and Bulgarians. For now it studiously avoids commenting on Ghanaians and Nigerians for no other reason than that it is electorally complicated (ie exposes their real rationale). The real thrust is clear for anyone with eyes to see.

UKIP is the party of pulling up the drawbridge. Its less sophisticated supporters understand that a lot better than its intellectual fellow-travellers.
    Utter rubbish Antifrank,. And of course driven by fanatical Europhilia.

UKIP have made it clear that one of the benefits of a proper immigration policy is that we could have more skilled and highly educated immigrants from the rest of the world if we did not have uncontrolled immigration from the EU.

It is obvious to all except the Europhile bigots.
  • Options
    I am not a lib dem supporter or indeed a massive EU fan but I think they deserve to do well tomorrow (or at least avoid humiliation). Nick Clegg at least took on Farage and whilst the tories have at least laid out a plan to deal with Europe in the next few years its Labour who deserve to do rubbish tomorrow as they have seemingly refused to talk about the election at all!
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Farage admits to being "frazzled" and is going to take a back seat.Good for him because he looks like a heart attack waiting to happen but can Ukip cope with the change if he does?That could determine Ukip's longer-term success or other-wise.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/21/farage-claims-ukip-may-have-common-ground-with-front-national?CMP=twt_fd&commentpage=1
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The metropolitan liberal-left really do believe all good people naturally agree with them; consequently, and by definition, anyone who disagrees or objects to their liberal-left views is a moron or a racist and can be safely ignored.

It's worthy of note given she is a senior BBC person, but are you really saying the non-metropolitan non-liberal right do not similarly believe that all good people naturally agree with them and that, consequently, and by definition, anyone who disagrees or objects to their non-liberal right views is a moron and can be safely ignored?* I do not find that credible, particularly given the vitriol that is unleashed at any dissenting view from that quarter.

That's a tribal political thing, nothing to do with left-right bullcrap, which merely informs the specificity of the autmomatic dismissal and conflation of their opponents with morons/racists/whatever.

*I left out racist as it does seem true that the right are less likely to accuse opponents automatically of racism, as that is something that it is true is far more often lumped on the right than the opposite. I'm not sure what the equivalent accusation against the left would be.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn · 5 mins
    At 10pm, we are publishing @YouGov's bombshell projection of who will win tomorrow's euro elections, plus MEPs breakdown. Standby

• Options
    As a pro European Tory - it's the yellow peril or staying true blue for me!

Ukip if you want to, scrapheap's for the Euro.

Lights fuse.....exits
  • Options

Farage admits to being "frazzled" and is going to take a back seat.Good for him because he looks like a heart attack waiting to happen but can Ukip cope with the change if he does?That could determine Ukip's longer-term success or other-wise.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/21/farage-claims-ukip-may-have-common-ground-with-front-national?CMP=twt_fd&commentpage=1

I am not a fan of Farage as leader of UKIP so personally I think it is a great move for him to step back. And I now think there are enough good performers behind him that they will have no problem finding someone to take over.
  • Options

antifrank said:

taffys said:

UKIP have made it clear that one of the benefits of a proper immigration policy is that we could have more skilled and highly educated immigrants from the rest of the world if we did not have uncontrolled immigration from the EU.

Yes, you can see from all the UKIP candidates just how unbigoted UKIP is. What a fool believes.
  • Options
    YouGov is 33/36
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Johnno, the only results that count as a bombshell, that are plausible, would be a blue win or the yellows getting nothing. Both are unlikely, but not impossible.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn · 5 mins
    At 10pm, we are publishing @YouGov's bombshell projection of who will win tomorrow's euro elections, plus MEPs breakdown. Standby

Not really a bombshell, they have UKIP ahead in their Euro poll. At 11PM they are going to let us know the bombshell that the earth is not flat.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Louise Mensch‏@LouiseMensch·1 min
    In advance of the EU vote I want to point out that weeks ago I said the story would be the LD collapse, not the UKIP one-trick pony.

Looks like the Sun YouGov is going to support the story of no seats for the LibDems...

EDIT - Or then again not... 3 seats
  • Options
    YouGov EU

27/27/23
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I am not a lib dem supporter or indeed a massive EU fan but I think they deserve to do well tomorrow (or at least avoid humiliation). Nick Clegg at least took on Farage and whilst the tories have at least laid out a plan to deal with Europe in the next few years its Labour who deserve to do rubbish tomorrow as they have seemingly refused to talk about the election at all!

The LDs do not deserve the level of hatred they receive, much of which is condemning them for behaviours which are political but not partisan, that is to say not something they alone are guilty of doing. It is unfortunate for them that that feeling has become sustained and entrenched because even if it is to eventually be reversed to some degree, which is becomign more and more doubtful the more stable their terrible polling at all levels of elections look, it will not happen with these elections because their position on the EU was never popular to begin with, and having taken on the other side in the debate was a worthy attempt, but appears to have had no effect, because of the ingrained hatred of them.

Even the LDs best projections for tomorrow are for a humiliation, so I don't think it can be avoided however.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: EXCL: YouGov/Sun projection - UKIP to make history and win tmrw's Euro vote: UKIP 27%, Lab 26% http://t.co/BxDIr0lDej http://t.co/hsgK5eLfgo
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

taffys said:

Yes, you can see from all the UKIP candidates just how unbigoted UKIP is. What a fool believes.
    You can see the same from many of the Tory and Labour candidates as well. Even the Lib Dems are not immune.

And of course you fail to answer the basic point that a immigration system that favours Europeans over Chinese, Africans or Indians is inherently racist.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,396
    Smarmeron said:

@DavidL

I am somewhat puzzled that your average court case for a legal aid funded defendant is over in a flash, but that the same charge defended by a well paid lawyer takes far more time on average, with actual questions being asked of the prosecution witnesses.
    14 grams of cannabis being drug dealing, over twice that weight of cocaine being "personal"

Sorry I have been travelling home and then having my tea.

14g of cannabis is certainly at the top end for personal use. The maximum "personal" quantity would be about 1/4 of an ounce which is just over 7 grams. Possession of half an ounce would normally imply some sort of dealing.

28g of cocaine is an enormous quantity. IANAE but the street value is something like £20 a gram (more on the police/court scale) making that at least £560 worth. Anyone caught with this quantity would and should almost certainly be charged with being concerned in the supply.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: EXCL: YouGov/Sun projection - UKIP to make history and win tmrw's Euro vote: UKIP 27%, Lab 26% http://t.co/BxDIr0lDej http://t.co/hsgK5eLfgo

BOOOOOOOOOM!!!....or maybe not. 1 % lead, moe stuff....YAWN!
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Apols EU poll is last nights poll.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    BobaFett said:

YouGov EU

27/27/23

No.

27/26/22
  • Options
    Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes · 2 mins
    YouGov European Election poll: Ukip 27%, Labour 26%, Tories 22%, Greens 10%, LD 9% << a huge (6,000) sample used for this poll

• Options
    kle4 said:

The LDs do not deserve the level of hatred they receive, much of which is condemning them for behaviours which are political but not partisan, that is to say not something they alone are guilty of doing. It is unfortunate for them that that feeling has become sustained and entrenched because even if it is to eventually be reversed to some degree, which is becomign more and more doubtful the more stable their terrible polling at all levels of elections look, it will not happen with these elections because their position on the EU was never popular to begin with, and having taken on the other side in the debate was a worthy attempt, but appears to have had no effect, because of the ingrained hatred of them.

Even the LDs best projections for tomorrow are for a humiliation, so I don't think it can be avoided however.
    How can you hate lib dems? Only fuddy duddy labour types do imo. A lot of people think they are a bit wet and pathetic but there must be at least 20% of voters who actually are pro Europe enough to give them a vote . I think they will out perform their polling tomorrow .Just look at people who are undecided on here below who think they may still vote for them
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

The BBC tweet story is extraordinary, not because of what @journomummy said, but because she clearly felt it was perfectly acceptable to say it.

It's a repulsive mindset. She should be summarily sacked. Stuff like this is going to kill the BBC.

Yet you do have a nut of a point. My staff openly express their distaste for Ukip, in the office, for all to hear. That said Ukip are widely hated in most parts of normal London* so I guess they are pretty safe.

I admit to being surprised to hearing the same open distaste for UKIP in my office, here in the much more UKIP friendly SW. I found it a bit awkward, as though I do not intend to vote UKIP I have no real problem with them except their excessive whinging and persecution complex (yes, there is justification for some of it, calm down), and I want them to do well. I am a pretty obviously soft lefty on social matters at least though, so perhaps the person concerned did not feel I could possibly do anything but hate UKIP.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes · 2 mins
    YouGov European Election poll: Ukip 27%, Labour 26%, Tories 22%, Greens 10%, LD 9%

Labour should win the East Midlands on that polling -still 9/4 with WHills I think
    and the lib dems should get at least 3 seats imo with 9%
  • Options

I admit to being surprised to hearing the same open distaste for UKIP in my office, here in the much more UKIP friendly SW. I found it a bit awkward, as though I do not intend to vote UKIP I have no real problem with them except their excessive whinging and persecution complex (yes, there is justification for some of it, calm down), and I want them to do well. I am a pretty obviously soft lefty on social matters at least though, so perhaps the person concerned did not feel I could possibly do anything but hate UKIP.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

It's worthy of note given she is a senior BBC person, but are you really saying the non-metropolitan non-liberal right do not similarly believe that all good people naturally agree with them and that, consequently, and by definition, anyone who disagrees or objects to their non-liberal right views is a moron and can be safely ignored?* I do not find that credible, particularly given the vitriol that is unleashed at any dissenting view from that quarter.

That's a tribal political thing, nothing to do with left-right bullcrap, which merely informs the specificity of the autmomatic dismissal and conflation of their opponents with morons/racists/whatever.

*I left out racist as it does seem true that the right are less likely to accuse opponents automatically of racism, as that is something that it is true is far more often lumped on the right than the opposite. I'm not sure what the equivalent accusation against the left would be.
    Of course rightwingers believe they are correct. But what you would never see is a BBC Tory (there must be a couple?) joining in some hashtag frenzy on Twitter demeaning a significant leftwing party, a day before an election.

#ImNotVotingSnp #ImNotVotingLibDem followed by a stream of ridiculous jocular abuse

etc etc

It's just inconceivable. Why? Because the right do not have this We Are Inherently and Morally Superior mindset, which infests the Left, and the Left infests and corrupts the BBC, like gangrene.

As I say, stuff like this is going to kill the BBC. Because one day there will be a serious rightwing party in power in the UK and they will want revenge, and the digital revolution will give them the perfect excuse to pension off the license fee for good. And thus the BBC dies.

And who, frankly, gives a toss any more? America is better served in all forms of TV: drama, news, comedy.

Kill the BBC. Get rid.
    I do not agree with your conclusion, but I glad we appear to have a consensus that righty's are not immune from the same behaviour, and that it was the fact of her BBC position making being so open about that behaviour that is noteworthy here, even if I think we will have to disagree that the right do not have a mindset of being inherently and morally superior mindset, as opposed to merely being correct.

I will concede the Left play that moral superiority card with greater frequency, which gets on my nerves on occasion.
  • Options
    Based on that Sun poll, looks like UKIP to win (ballot confusion permitting) and Greens to beat LDs in a big rejection of the main 3
  • Options

kle4 said:

How can you hate lib dems? Only fuddy duddy labour types do imo. A lot of people think they are a bit wet and pathetic but there must be at least 20% of voters who actually are pro Europe enough to give them a vote . I think they will out perform their polling tomorrow .Just look at people who are undecided on here below who think they may still vote for them
    I certainly don't hate the LDs, I've decided to vote for them tomorrow myself, but while there may be a 'Shy LD' voter effect, and I think the visceral hatred for them is overblown, I do not think it can be said to be restricted merely to 'fuddy duddy labour types'. Those particularly, but you don't languish in the polls so consistently and face complete wipeout in many areas of the country like they have done and are, without genuine hatred behind it from significant numbers.

There is certainly a pro-EU vote to go after, but the fervent pro-EU vote is pretty small, and much of the rest of 'stay in, but not very happy about things' to varying degrees, which is the bit Labour and the Tories will get, not the LDs I think.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    MaxPB said:

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am with Tories on this site and elsewhere condemning Farage's comments. If it were a maverick Tory minister or high profile back bencher it would be being labeled a non-story and there would be accusations of bias by the BBC and news organisations. Scott P would be posting any Tory supporting twits. The difference would be that our UKIP supporters would not be saying anything different than they are now even if a Tory were to be the one making the comment.

The only thing Farage is guilty of is being stupid and naïve enough to think that anything that could even possibly be construed as racist wouldn't be used against him and UKIP in the run up to the election. The question was a clear gotcha and the questioner incredibly hostile, the way that the normally supportive press and level headed posters have sided with a clearly idiotic question and questioner is disgraceful.

I'm not a UKIP supporter and as many of you know I wouldn't go into their camp because I do not believe they do enough to filter out ex BNP and EDL members from their rank and file, and their policies aren't very consistent. However, it is clear to me and many others that Farage is not racist. The useful idiots on the left who say anything like that should not be entertained and right leaning commenters and posters should not be giving them the time of day.

Well said Max.
  • Options
    Interesting move by Farage to criticise Charles's comments. Obviously not worried about upsetting royalists.
This discussion has been closed.