Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB EP2014 Competition: Predict the party shares to win

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited May 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB EP2014 Competition: Predict the party shares to win a free bet at Ladbrokes

Second If you are a registered poster on the site then use your Vanilla username. If not then enter your email address as well. We will need to contact you to arrange for your free £50 bet at Ladbrokes if you win.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    First, but probably not in the competition.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited May 2014
    Conservative %:	22.23	 
    Labour %: 22.18
    Lib Dem %: 9.46
    UKIP %: 28.95
    Green %: 6.44
    An Independence
    from Europe %: 2.25
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    just for fun:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/which-party-should-you-actually-vote-for

I got green. which is probably about right.Though if I could I'd vote both for building new nuclear, and moving to renewables as soon as possible
  • Options
    RobbieBoxRobbieBox Posts: 28
    I take it this includes Scotland and Wales but not Northern Ireland, which uses a different voting system.
    Scots and Welsh nationalists would count as others.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection Coundown :

3 hours 3 seconds
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068

just for fun:

I got green. which is probably about right.Though if I could I'd vote both for building new nuclear, and moving to renewables as soon as possible

I got Green, too, although I’d agree with “dugarbandier and I’d like more considered opinions about the likely effect of tracking before I ruled it out.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Morning all,

Ever since the comp was trailed we've been getting excited. Not so excited that we've been working on our answer however. And we disagree with the order so it might take us a while.
  • Options
    As a point of information, clarification and utter relief to other PBers may I make it clear that JackW, as undisputed and reigning TOTY, will not be entering this competition.

This continues my policy of allowing lesser PB mortals an opportunity, however brief and transitory, to bask in the admiration of fellow contributors.

I am also happy to advise PBers that this self denying policy ordinance will remain in force for the foreseeable future.

Retires for breakfast on a singular note of piety ....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    Well this might surprise some folk but I got Conservative. It said:

"You believe that the government should leave you alone to get on with your life, while also respecting tradition. You’re probably not much of a fan of the European Union but you believe in the benefits of free trade and hope Brussels can be convinced to give back some power to the UK. You’re still optimistic about Britain’s ability to compete on a global level and are proud of the country’s traditions."

Pretty much bang on.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I was a bit surprised to be asked who I would support in a general election. I usually change my mind about that three times a week.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I was a bit surprised to be asked who I would support in a general election. I usually change my mind about that three times a week.

Do the buzzfeed quiz first.

• Options
    One vaguely amusing thing from that table of prediction averages by party is that everyone thinks their own party is going to do better than the average and everyone thinks their party is going to do better than the views of alll other supporters except Labour where the "others" think they will do better than Labour supporters themselves.

It is an excellent demonstration of the wish fulfilment aspect of predictions. Perhaps inevitably UKIP supporters are by far the furthest out on a limb. New love and all that. Doesn't mean they are wrong of course.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Well that was fun.
    Conservative %: 25.16
    Labour %: 21.32
    Lib Dem %: 9.56
    UKIP %: 23.78
    Green %: 7.66
    An Independence
    from Europe %: 2.13

In 72 hours we will be reviewing the local election results to the point of exhaustion. No doubt others have already expressed lots of views but I was staggered by Nigel Farage's comments last night. Basically its ok to be racist and homophobe if you are elderly. It was therefore ok for Roger Helmer to say what he has done but he is relaxed now. So if he makes any extreme remarks over the next fortnight in Newark, is he just having a senior moment?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    >Note that my rulings on all aspects of this competition are final.

Someone's been spending time with Mr Salmond...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Any idea which party the Sun are supporting this time round?

@Sun_Politics: On Ukip's exploitation of our war dead, The Sun Says... http://t.co/MfpJo5xov0

@Sun_Politics: And on Labour's low pay plans, The Sun Says... http://t.co/o3RVkdcC3v
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning All.

Interesting? - ‘An Independence From Europe’ – the party set up by Ex UKIP chappy, Mike Nattrass, is presently well below 2% on average – Personally I don’t they’ll reach the much hyped 5%, but we just have to wait until next week I guess.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    MattW said:

>Note that my rulings on all aspects of this competition are final.

Someone's been spending time with Mr Salmond...

The difference is, OGH is promising things within his gift, unlike "member observer on the MPC" Salmond.....

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I have put my entry in, though there does look to be quite a convergence apart from some optomistic kippers.

Sadly even LDs do not seem optomistic about their own party.

Well that was fun.
    Conservative %: 25.16
    Labour %: 21.32
    Lib Dem %: 9.56
    UKIP %: 23.78
    Green %: 7.66
    An Independence
    from Europe %: 2.13

In 72 hours we will be reviewing the local election results to the point of exhaustion. No doubt others have already expressed lots of views but I was staggered by Nigel Farage's comments last night. Basically its ok to be racist and homophobe if you are elderly. It was therefore ok for Roger Helmer to say what he has done but he is relaxed now. So if he makes any extreme remarks over the next fortnight in Newark, is he just having a senior moment?

• Options
    Buzzfeed: I got Conservative - with the same message as DavidL below.

Agree that it would been nice to be able to choose fracking AND nuclear.
  • Options
    I went Con/Lab/LD/UKIP 23/22/7/24
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

just for fun:

It will come as no surprise to anyone I got Conservative. I have never voted any other way since 1979 and probably never will.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Salmond was interviewed on Today - R4 by Evan Davis and was asked about the exact legal position of an Independent Scotland and its ability to enter the EU.

After much wibbling and waffling, he failed to give a precise answer. His best effort was that Scotland has the benefits of oil, renewable energy and 20% of fish stocks that would be attractive to the EU to grant Scotland membership. Does that mean he proposes to share all these assets with the EU?

On immigration he proposed a points system, but did not mention EU immigration where points are not relevant.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Buzzfeed: I got Conservative - with the same message as DavidL below.

Agree that it would been nice to be able to choose fracking AND nuclear.

Some of the questions were quite problematic. I think it was the health one where I really didn't agree with any of the policies and, as you say, there were others where you could agree with several. Others were slightly simplistic. For example I don't believe in the legalisation of weed de plano but I am against prosecuting people for personal possession.

• Options
    Yeah - I chose to decriminalise weed.
  • Options
    Ed fails the "pint of milk" test

@BBCNormanS: Ed Miliband says his average weekly shopping bill is £70- £80. Er....that sounds a tad optimistic to me. #costofliving

@BethRigby: @BBCNormanS No idea. At that price Milibands either eating value ranges or shopping at Lidl
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Ed Miliband says his average weekly shopping bill is £70- £80. Er....that sounds a tad optimistic to me. #costofliving

@BethRigby: @BBCNormanS No idea. At that price Milibands either eating value ranges or shopping at Lidl

Or he's admitting that he spends alot of time at work events/dinners/awaydays/conferences etc and does not need to shop as much as most people.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Or he's admitting that he spends alot of time at work events/dinners/awaydays/conferences etc and does not need to shop as much as most people.

Er, the campaign slogan is "on your side" not "part of the metropolitan liberal elite you hate so much"

@paulstanworth: .@Ed_Miliband tells @susannareid100 @CharlotteHawkns @gmb that his family spend £70-80 on food per wk. Ave family of four now spending £104.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Depends what he is buying. Is it just food? Does it exclude the delivery charges? Costa Miliband sinking fast.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

I'm sure Ed is away from home quite a bit, as you would expect for any party leader - but I don't think the wife and kids join him for that! - £70 a week seems low, but so what?
  • Options

£70 a week seems low, but so what?

This is the man championing the "cost of living crisis" who has no idea what the cost of living is
  • Options
    I haven't the slightest idea how much my other half and I spend on groceries a week. I leave that to him.

I expect Ed Miliband is rather occupied with other things during the course of the week.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Maybe he means £70 for the weekly big shop, with extra bits bought as needed throughout the week... and in any case who the f cares, its another one of these absurd questions politicians get asked such as "what's the price of a pint of milk", as if knowing that will somehow magically make you in touch...
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

Because Ed is supposed to be the owner of the cost of living crisis, yet he does not appear to have a clue what that cost actually is. That's so what.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I expect Ed Miliband is rather occupied with other things during the course of the week.

Ed's day job is complaining about the cost of living.

What information might be useful to him as part of that?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

just for fun:

It will come as no surprise to anyone I got Conservative. I have never voted any other way since 1979 and probably never will.
    I was very surprised to get Liberal Democrat. I thought I would be Labour.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

Because Ed is supposed to be the owner of the cost of living crisis, yet he does not appear to have a clue what that cost actually is. That's so what.
    He was asked his weekly shop cost, not the average weekly shop cost.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Conservative %:23.00
    Labour %:25.69
    Lib Dem %: 8.46
    UKIP %: 27.25
    Green %: 8.50
    An Independence
    from Europe %: 1.65
  • Options
    RobD said:

He quoted a figure for his weekly shop that is well below the average.

How does that fit with his "I am on your side, cost of living crisis" message?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This is the man championing the "cost of living crisis" who has no idea what the cost of living is
    I appreciate that, and it's a valid attack line - my point was that Ed, like most spouses I'd imagine who do not do the weekly shop haven't a clue how much is spent on essentials over the course of the week.
  • Options

Ed, like most spouses I'd imagine who do not do the weekly shop haven't a clue how much is spent on essentials over the course of the week.

Ed, unlike most spouses, spends his day complaining about the "cost of living crisis". Unlike most spouses, he might reasonably be expected to have a clue what the cost of living might be.
  • Options
    RobD said:

saddened said:

Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

Huzza, let the dancing on the head of a pin commence. A man who lives in a household of four, in one of the most expensive city's in the world spend 70-80 quid per week, does not have a handle on "the cost of living crisis".
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I appreciate that, and it's a valid attack line - my point was that Ed, like most spouses I'd imagine who do not do the weekly shop haven't a clue how much is spent on essentials over the course of the week.
    So the presumption is that he is so wealthy that he and his household do not have to budget - or else he would know more detail. Perhaps he does not include alcohol in this figure - or deliveries from Fortnums and Harrods?
  • Options
    saddened said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

Huzza, let the dancing on the head of a pin commence. A man who lives in a household of four, in one of the most expensive city's in the world spend 70-80 quid per week, does not have a handle on "the cost of living crisis".
    OK. I think it's time for an independent judge-led inquiry to work out EXACTLY what Ed spends every week, and on what he spends it on.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Does our Ed M have a garden with a vegetable plot, are the family almost vegetarian?
    A weekly food bill is as long as a piece of string, and as elastic as how and what you count as a "food" bill.
    Fun froth for us geeks though, and one should never miss an opportunity to smear the opposition.
    Cameron did not know the price of milk as he has a traditional creamery complete with a milking maid in traditional costume.
    Fact! (using the tabloid definition of "fact")
  • Options
    Morning all,
    Can MP's still claim for food on expenses? ISTR they could for about £400 a month
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

He quoted a figure for his weekly shop that is well below the average.

How does that fit with his "I am on your side, cost of living crisis" message?
    I don't buy the argument that you have to personally experience how a certain segment of the population struggles in order to champion their cause.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2014
    Its clear Ed hasn't got a fecking clue what he is talking about. Wife and two kids 70 quid a week. He cannot be serious.. I expect he has a servant to do the shopping for him.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Ed barely drinks, and seems rather thin. I imagine a fairly puritan diet of brown rice and mineral water. The odd apple as a treat, that sort of thing.

I suspect his food shop is fairly cheap.
    RobD said:

saddened said:

RobD said:

saddened said:

Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

OK. I think it's time for an independent judge-led inquiry to work out EXACTLY what Ed spends every week, and on what he spends it on.
  • Options
    Maybe his kids eat alot of baked beans :S ?

I wouldn't have known the weekly shop bill either, I spend about £70 once every 2 or 3 weeks on food for myself and top up at the Coop in between.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Financier said:

Scott_P said:

So the presumption is that he is so wealthy that he and his household do not have to budget - or else he would know more detail. Perhaps he does not include alcohol in this figure - or deliveries from Fortnums and Harrods?
    Ed is on a six figure salary; when other public sector workers had their wages frozen, Ed picked up an 11% pay increase. Does anyone in their right mind really think that Ed speaks from personal experiences on the ‘crisis’ guff he spouts? – Sorry, but it’s as pointless as the nonsense surrounding Cameron and his bread making machine, imho!
  • Options

Its clear Ed hasn't got a fecking clue what he is talking about. Wife and two kids 70 quid a week. He cannot be serious.. I expect he has a servant to do the shopping for him.

Maybe he pays £70, and his wife pays another £70? He was asked about his expense, after all.
  • Options
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection Countdown :

30 minutes 30 seconds
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't have known the weekly shop bill either, I spend about £70 once every 2 or 3 weeks on food for myself and top up at the Coop in between.

Of course the weekly shop includes a lot more than food.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    RobD said:

Maybe he pays £70, and his wife pays another £70? He was asked about his expense, after all.
    r u an Ed Miliband apologist?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Seriously?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Always good to see a new (free) competition.

Just seen the 'pint of milk' stuff. Whilst not a Miliband fan, I must say I think this line of questioning is not especially meaningful. We're trying to elect a leader, not Which?'s head of food & drink.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Pulpstar said:

Of course the weekly shop includes a lot more than food.
    Alright, you've got me - my £70 includes loo roll, bin bags and washing up liquid too.
  • Options

RobD said:

r u an Ed Miliband apologist?
    Nope, just find the "price of a pint of milk"-type questions ridiculous!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    £80 a week on food for a family of four, including two under fives, does not seem that ridiculous to me. Frugal, tedious and not very tasty, but certainly within the bounds of possibility - especially if the kids are eating their main meals at school/nursery every day, and there are a few meals taken away from home each week, as will certainly be the case with Ed. The thing about Miliband and other politicians is that they are not average.

The more likely explanation, of course, is that he does not have the first idea and just guessed. Presumably he will now find his bins being checked out and photos being taken as he/his missus/the au pair or whoever walks round Sainsbury's in Camden Town - or, even worse, makes a few purchases at the eye-wateringly expensive Saturday morning farmer's market at William Ellis school.
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120
    Three different 'Who SHOULD I vote for sites':
    http://uk.votematch.eu/
    http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/
    and only for 2010 election: http://www.whodoivotefor.co.uk/
  • Options
    For a small wager, I can live off less than a pound a day, including heating.

(in the interests of fair betting, I lived on that amount for nearly two years)
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Always good to see a new (free) competition.

Just seen the 'pint of milk' stuff. Whilst not a Miliband fan, I must say I think this line of questioning is not especially meaningful. We're trying to elect a leader, not Which?'s head of food & drink.

Mr D, it's amusing because this is the same man who felt the need to dash off with a posse of journalists to be seen consuming a pasty. It, as you say, is of little consequence, it is, however, funny.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    I think Milliband would be an awful PM, but, really, this is a very silly line of criticism. No married man knows what the average weekly shopping bill is.
  • Options
    Mr. Saddened, that's a fair point. Miliband is an opportunistic little shit, but, as you also say, the line of questioning isn't exactly indicative of an insightful media.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think Milliband would be an awful PM, but, really, this is a very silly line of criticism. No married man knows what the average weekly shopping bill is.

Unfortunately that's a line of defence that is completely barred to Ed Miliband. He'd be torn apart limb from limb if he suggested it.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    antifrank said:

I haven't the slightest idea how much my other half and I spend on groceries a week. I leave that to him.

Whenever my bank etc asks me how much we spend on food etc I stick a finger in the air and make something up. I have no idea and, in any event, I suspect the total varies wildly from week to week.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    The main surprise was how high most of you expect AIFE to be. My guess was 0.7% - I don't think people are that easily fooled. It'd be interesting if a pollster asked using the actual ballot paper, as thwy sometimes do.

malcolmg doesn't seem to have reported the latest YG Scottish subsample, how odd. It's Lab 50, SNP 21, Con 21. Jolly significant things, subsamples. Of maybe more interest is that "Yes" for any EU referendum is extending its lead - currently 43-37 without renegotiation and 53-24 if Cameron waves a wand and says he's improved the terms.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Scott_P said:

We already know that his is a very wealthy family. Justine is a top lawyer and earns considerably more than he does. Your point is? You are teetering on the brink of the old PB Tory idea that Labourites should not be wealthy.
  • Options

Whilst not a Miliband fan, I must say I think this line of questioning is not especially meaningful. We're trying to elect a leader, not Which?'s head of food & drink.

That's true, but Ed's "cost of living" campaign presents him as as the Member of Parliament for Which?. And now he turns out to be crap at that too.
  • Options
    Hands up how many PBers know how much their wives spend on clothes a year?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    edited May 2014
    Sean_F said:

I could understand that in olden days but with Ocado and home delivery its plausible a man may have a clue nowadays.

For us its roughly £80 a week but that moves between £40 and £110 so its hardly consistent....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Unless of course, like very many married men these days, he's the one who does the weekly supermarket run or at least shares it ....... get real Mr. Fear!
  • Options
    Mr. P, Ed Miliband being crap at something is not necessarily news.

So far his talents appear to be limited to Rubik's cubes, fraternal backstabbing, and befriending then abandoning French presidents.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    On the subject of "wisdom" polls.

The Beeb has a list of ways to cool the housing market.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27470225

Which of any, or none of these do we think would be a good idea?
  • Options
    @Morris

Must you persist with this vitriolic line about Ed? You have never met the guy, and it doesn't become you. You seem a sterling and polite chap generally so try leaving the nasty personal comments at home. You have a blind spot with Ed.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Financier said:

Scott_P said:

We already know that his is a very wealthy family. Justine is a top lawyer and earns considerably more than he does. Your point is? You are teetering on the brink of the old PB Tory idea that Labourites should not be wealthy.
    You have fallen into the trap of trying to read my mind and making false assumptions. Often very wealthy people have a good idea of their income and expenditure and of the surplus for investment.

It is just than any politician whose constituents will have a far lower income than their MP (especially in Doncaster N), must know the basic costs of living and how and where they may shop - or how else can he relate to them when they come to his surgery - perhaps EdM does not have a MP's surgery?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    Back in the 1970s, weren't we promised cheaper groceries as a result of joining the Common Market? Has it happened yet?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Of maybe more interest is that "Yes" for any EU referendum is extending its lead - currently 43-37 without renegotiation and 53-24 if Cameron waves a wand and says he's improved the terms.

Is that with YouGov?

I came across an Opinium referendum tracker the other day that shows a persistent 'No' lead. (No mention of a renegotiation).

http://news.opinium.co.uk/opinium-blog/eu-neutrals-err-side-leaving

There seems to be an effort to push a text change of omitting/rephrasing "ever closer union" as a big concession to eurosceptics; I would be very surprised if that fooled a significant number of people.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    One of the few areas where Ed has had a meaningful lead over Cameron is in "understands my family's concerns". While I agree the "pint of milk" test is political fluff, every politician should expect to be asked it - and a range of other similar questions - so not having it at his fingertips at the very least represents a failure of preparation by Ed's team.

Being 40% out of whack with the Mr. Average does make it a little harder to run the "I feel your pain" line.
  • Options
    Mr. Fett, ringing up unions persuading them you're the only who can stop your brother and then playing partisan political games over a matter of war and peace (intervention in Syria) is worthy of contempt.

Perhaps I should endeavour to be more polite, and perhaps Miliband should endeavour not to score party political points over something as serious as Syria. He might also want to apologise to Andrew Mitchell whilst he's at it.
  • Options
    @Financier

How many MP's know the reality of foodbanks?
    IDS, and quite a few of his fellow cabinet members have not a clue.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Most would have a fair idea, unless the wife/partner had their own income or was given a monthly allowance with no questions asked.
    You are treading on dangerous ground.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    BobaFett said:

Whenever my bank etc asks me how much we spend on food etc I stick a finger in the air and make something up. I have no idea

You are Ed Miliband and I claim my five pound Lidl grocery voucher....
  • Options
    BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS ****

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to JNN the contents of the latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection as follows :

"Should Scotland Be An Independent Country?"

Today (17th Apr Projection)

YES 39% (41%) .. NO 61% (59%)................... Turnout Projection 81.5% (81%)

Scotland remains In the UK.

Notes - All projections now to the nearest half point. This projection will be issued weekly from July and daily from September.

............................................................................

WIND - Whimsical Independent News Division
    JNN - Jacobite News Network
    McARSE - My Caledonian Anonymous Random Selection of Electors
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    BobaFett said:

@Morris

Must you persist with this vitriolic line about Ed? You have never met the guy, and it doesn't become you. You seem a sterling and polite chap generally so try leaving the nasty personal comments at home. You have a blind spot with Ed.

ed wants to take over the running of the country which MD inhabits; MD is therefore justified, as well as correct, in pointing out that ed is crap at such things as the running of countries.

• Options
    Con: 26.2; Lab 28.0; UKIP 25.4; Lib Dem 8.2; Green 7.7; AIFE 0.85; others 3.65.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Conservative %:23.00
    Labour %:25.69 Lib Dem %: 8.46 UKIP %: 27.25 Green %: 8.50 An Independence from Europe %: 1.65
    Plausible, I just feel that the total for these needs to be under 90 and possibly under 85.

• Options

Mr. Fett, ringing up unions persuading them you're the only who can stop your brother and then playing partisan political games over a matter of war and peace (intervention in Syria) is worthy of contempt.

Perhaps I should endeavour to be more polite, and perhaps Miliband should endeavour not to score party political points over something as serious as Syria. He might also want to apologise to Andrew Mitchell whilst he's at it.

This is politics. You are making personal comments about someone you have never met. Were you offered the chance to meet him would you walk into your appointment with such a negative preconceived idea of him? I find that to be a very poor life strategy.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Morning all,

I stumbled across a news website this morning which informed me that the last television debate between the five candidates for the European Commission Presidency had taken place.

Was this put on television in the UK?

I saw a clip and was surprised I recognised four of the five candidates. Beyond the Greek Opposition leader Tsipras they all seem like European insiders - Schulz, Juncker and Verhofstadt. The only one I did not recognise was the Green candidate Ska Keller.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Financier

How many MP's know the reality of foodbanks?
    IDS, and quite a few of his fellow cabinet members have not a clue.

Can you prove that IDS does not know the reality of food banks? It is probable that most MPs of all parties have neither experienced them nor the need for them.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    European Election Predictions:

UKIP 25.1 %
    Conservatives 24.3 %
    Labour 23.7 %
    Liberal Democrat 9.1%
    Greens 6.4%
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

BobaFett said:

@Morris

ed wants to take over the running of the country which MD inhabits; MD is therefore justified, as well as correct, in pointing out that ed is crap at such things as the running of countries.

Indeed. But my point was about his nasty personal comments about a man he has never met.
  • Options
    @Financier

It could also be that IDS (like Esther McVey), does in fact know the realities, but rattles out a party spin on the subject to suit his agenda?
  • Options
    Financier said:

BobaFett said:

Most would have a fair idea, unless the wife/partner had their own income or was given a monthly allowance with no questions asked.
    Dangerous in what respect. How much does your wife spend on clothes a year?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    I reckon we spend about £100 a week on food for four of us, but we do have a rugby player in early pre-season with us at the moment. You can throw in a shed load more for drink, toiletries, cleaning stuff and all the rest of it. If my daughter comes along to the supermarket for the ride, that goes up again as she sneaks God knows what into the trolley. And if it is my wife and my daughter then it's carnage - though the house looks nice with all the flowers, candles etc.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Financier said:

BobaFett said:

Dangerous in what respect. How much does your wife spend on clothes a year?
    Depends on what I buy for her
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Ishmael_X said:

BobaFett said:

@Morris

Indeed. But my point was about his nasty personal comments about a man he has never met.
    I would have more sympathy with your argument if it was not for your constant trolling on PB wrt ‘PBTories’ a unpleasant habit you are as yet to refrain from, going by your earlier comment to Financier.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited May 2014
    Many thanks to Ladbrokes, Mike and Mark Hopkins for this.

This is a fascinating piece, implying the Tories are going to hold their nerve after the Euros, no matter how bad it gets and they will keep their discipline up to the General Election.

Tory Eurosceptics are planning to stand by David Cameron even if the party performs poorly in the European elections, as the right keeps its powder dry for a battle over Europe after the general election.

One senior figure said that the "wagons are beginning to circle" protectively around the prime minister as rightwing Eurosceptics acknowledge that the Conservatives need to unite in the runup to May 2015.

But the right is preparing for a battle over Europe before the prime minister's planned referendum on EU membership in 2017, amid warnings from insiders that it could lead to a Tory split as epic as the divisions over the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/19/tory-eurosceptics-david-cameron-rightwing-europe-eu
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Ishmael_X said:

BobaFett said:

@Morris

I would have more sympathy with your argument if it was not for your constant trolling on PB wrt ‘PBTories’ a unpleasant habit you are as yet to refrain from, going by your earlier comment to Financier.
    PB Tory is NOT a personal comment. FFS
  • Options
    JamesM said:

Morning all,

I stumbled across a news website this morning which informed me that the last television debate between the five candidates for the European Commission Presidency had taken place.

Was this put on television in the UK?

I saw a clip and was surprised I recognised four of the five candidates. Beyond the Greek Opposition leader Tsipras they all seem like European insiders - Schulz, Juncker and Verhofstadt. The only one I did not recognise was the Green candidate Ska Keller.

The concept is odd because it remains entirely possible (indeed, quite likely) that none of these five will become the next European Commission President.
This discussion has been closed.