Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour drops to its lowest level with YouGov since the summ

1235»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    BobaFett said:

Mori is another bad poll --- for both big parties.

Greens looking very squeezable. Is that where the Lab vote has gone???

Green Reds anyone? Threader???

Theres already been a book written about that

http://www.amazon.com/Watermelons-Green-Movements-True-Colors/dp/0983347409
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Patrick said:

Of course the term 'crossover' implies two lines making an X. In reality the polls are not sharp, crisp and certain lines so much as zones of wooliness with a margin of error. What we are seeing now is that the Tory fuzz is merging with and starting to pass the Labour fuzz. At some point soonish we'll see the fuzzes no longer touching or overlapping at all.

I can't see the latest polls on this chart, but it shows generally what you are talking about, with some sort of average as a trend line.

A remarkable feature of the past several months is that the UKIP surge seems to have come entirely from Labour this spring, with the Tories also marginally up as the Lib Dems gently subside again.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I am really disappointed that I was not able to get on the tories at 25/1 for most votes in the Euros. This poll makes that seem increasingly likely.

Why do you say that?

UKIP has led the EU Parliament polls all month. The one EU Parliament poll that put the Conservatives in the lead, was downplayed by ICM's bod on the Daily Politics yesterday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)#2014

(ICM bod starts 1m40s into video)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/(programmes/b0441q49
    Because the UKIP bubble is at least deflating slightly. Down 4 at their level of support is quite a lot and the ratings for Nige are sliding as well.

Given that Labour voters can be counted on not to vote in the Euros (they never have really) unless there is also a local election to turn out for a relative decline in UKIP support makes it more likely that the tories (who in many cases will vote for almost anything) will pip UKIP.

I am not saying it is the most likely outcome yet. Just that 25/1 was a fabulous price and it was there for the grabbing if only their websites didn't think I was in the US.

It was indeed the wrong price, laid off the stake and a few quid on Betfair at 10-1 a few minutes after !

365 will be hating life if the Cons win...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Lennon said:

Lennon said:

Ipsos-Mori figures

Lab 34 (-3) Con 31 (nc) LD 9 (nc), UKIP 11 (-4) Greens 8 (+5)

Great for the Greens - Also Others up at 7 - is that the SNP/PC or genuine 'Other Others' due to the increased campaign period?
    Generally everyone else including the Nats.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear - what I meant was "Others have moved from 4 to 7, so +3 . Do you have the splits to know if that is SNP/PC going from 3 to 6, or 'Other Others' going from 1 to 4"?
    You must have done very well at the hustings last night if Other Others went from 1 to 4...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,579
    Lab's lead is only 2% when all those giving a VI are taken into account.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I am really disappointed that I was not able to get on the tories at 25/1 for most votes in the Euros. This poll makes that seem increasingly likely.

Why do you say that?

UKIP has led the EU Parliament polls all month. The one EU Parliament poll that put the Conservatives in the lead, was downplayed by ICM's bod on the Daily Politics yesterday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)#2014

(ICM bod starts 1m40s into video)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/(programmes/b0441q49
    Because the UKIP bubble is at least deflating slightly. Down 4 at their level of support is quite a lot and the ratings for Nige are sliding as well.

Given that Labour voters can be counted on not to vote in the Euros (they never have really) unless there is also a local election to turn out for a relative decline in UKIP support makes it more likely that the tories (who in many cases will vote for almost anything) will pip UKIP.

I am not saying it is the most likely outcome yet. Just that 25/1 was a fabulous price and it was there for the grabbing if only their websites didn't think I was in the US.

IPSOS has UKIP down 4.

ICM has UKIP at their 2014 high. Populus has UKIP at their all time high. YouGov/Opinium/Survation all have UKIP at the upper end of their range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2014
    IPSOS aside, these current polls are perfect for UKIP.. Labour down, Tories not up, UKIP at the upper end of their scale (so far)

Just keep the presssure up and hopefully get the big two down to 62%ish at the GE, NOM/weak coalition/minority govt and theyll be dancing to our tune
  • Options
    Dave's lead over Ed widens this month. (changes since last month)

Dave -13 (+5)

Ed - 23 (+3)

Clegg - 43 (-9)

Farage -11 (-15)

• Options
    edited May 2014
    [deleted]
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: Spksman for EdMiliband re @DavidAxelrod in London today. "He's here to discuss planning and messaging" And polling? "Planning and messaging"
  • Options
    Nigel's ratings are on the slide.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @RochdalePioneers‌

Do you detect a teensy weensy bit of complacent creeping in? Just a soupçon you understand. Richard N has just declared it lost for Ed.

Yet Labour have a three point lead with Mori and the Greens are on 8%.

Hmm.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Hold on to your hats.

L&N forecast coming up.

And it's a game-changer...
  • Options

Who is in the lead? :)
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

The data tables from ICM and Ashcroft suggest that most of the new voters for the Greens in these polls voted for the Lib Dems in 2010. They may recently have been saying that they would vote for Labour at the next general election, but they also told Ashcroft that they were quite likely to change their mind.
  • Options
    isam said:

Nigel, but he's only 2 points ahead of Dave Cameron, you know the unpopular Prime Minister of the Lib/Lab/Con parties who wants to keep us in the EU and bring in even more Jonny Foreigners.
  • Options
    @gabyhinsliff: Nice insight into UKIP mindset in comments here http://t.co/Cf1zXqqc42: fabled Romulgarian invasion hasn't happened cos UKIP 'put them off'
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2014
    Ipsos-Mori figures: - Lab 34 (-3) - Greens 8 (+5)

Hmm, if Carlsberg made Party election broadcasts, it would have looked like the Green’s.
  • Options
    How awesome has my week been, the other day John Rentoul retweeted me, and now Dan Hodges has also retweeted me
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

O/T

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27381656

I am not saying the idea is without merit....but it kind of reminds me of....

"A unit costs £30,000 ($50,000) to build, and the one-bedroom homes will be let for £140 ($235) per week - around 65% of the usual market rent."

Shocking. The predator capitalist is looking for a 24% gross return (before voids and costs).

I am sure that Super Ed will be along soon to slap rent controls on him. Shouldn't gouge the poor and young.

Who could it be? Rackman Brothers? EvilHedgeFund (Jersey) Inc? TheTory Party?

Oh. It's the YMCA. Ooops.
  • Options

Hmm, if Carlsberg made Party election broadcasts, it would have looked like the Green’s.

I think Neil's been out campaigning for the Greens, so it is no surprising the Greens are going up in the polls.

Anyone who has ever met Neil will attest that Neil is lovely.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Right wish me luck, I'm changing trains at Newark in a few hours time.

I shall report later on tonight on whether there's a Helmergasm going on or not.
  • Options
    @OSM

Interesting. Threader on the Green Yellows/Green Reds @TSE?

Phone pollsters average is
    Con 32.6
    Lab 32.3

Pretty dire stuff for Labour, but not much good all round.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900
    Sad to hear that Stephen Sutton had died, but nobody can say this young man didn't make a big difference in his short life.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Charles said:

Smarmeron said:

O/T

"A unit costs £30,000 ($50,000) to build, and the one-bedroom homes will be let for £140 ($235) per week - around 65% of the usual market rent."

Shocking. The predator capitalist is looking for a 24% gross return (before voids and costs).

I am sure that Super Ed will be along soon to slap rent controls on him. Shouldn't gouge the poor and young.

Amusing. But does the £30,000 include the cost of the land?

That would rather change the return.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900
    MORI = Broken, sleazy leftie's on the slide?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @RochdalePioneers‌

There has been a certain amount of discussion over what has caused the polls to shift suddenly.
    In my humble opinion, it is possibly caused by the imminent EU election, and no matter what questions the pollsters ask, the answer is coming back as who the respondents will be voting for on a tactical basis in their given area.
    (EU voting is less tribal as it is more remote from peoples usual considerations.)
    I may well be mistaken, but in betting terms it is worth considering.
  • Options

How awesome has my week been, the other day John Rentoul retweeted me, and now Dan Hodges has also retweeted me

But, Cameron mimicking your pop music theme in political debate must be your finest contribution to the democratic process so far TSE- tis the sincerest form of flattery after all.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Right wish me luck, I'm changing trains at Newark in a few hours time.

I shall report later on tonight on whether there's a Helmergasm going on or not.

In the finest traditions of PB and the (Slightly) Right Honourable Member for Hersham we shall expect a full report from Northampton.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,456
    Scott_P said:

@gabyhinsliff: Nice insight into UKIP mindset in comments here http://t.co/Cf1zXqqc42: fabled Romulgarian invasion hasn't happened cos UKIP 'put them off'

There is some chronic tinfoil-hattery going on in the comments there.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Labour doing no better in the all giving an intention to vote, the Tories slightly better, this flies against the historic trend and mirrors last month. labour are struggling to gain any new voters and their core is slipping away. Given their problems with GOTV, it's brown pants time at Millbank.
    Dyedwoolie monitor following.......
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Despite his posturing, Dave still likes big business, big government, the EU, visits to Davos and his circle of confidants in powerful positions way, way too much. No amount of childish selfies and Nandos visits can change that and the voters are still clearly very suspicious.

That will keep Ed in the game.

Where Ed needs to worry is if Dave hires some low born tory like David Davis to get his teeth into a vested interest.
  • Options
    @Charles Can I buy one and rent it out ?

That is a staggering return !

As @Next points out purchasing the land might be the ROI reducer so to speak.

@Gin1138 Lefties on the slide with the Labour and Greens netting off to +2 ?

• Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

Nigel, but he's only 2 points ahead of Dave Cameron, you know the unpopular Prime Minister of the Lib/Lab/Con parties who wants to keep us in the EU and bring in even more Jonny Foreigners.
    Only a one word answer was required and you were correct, well done!
  • Options
    Next said:

Charles said:

Smarmeron said:

O/T

Amusing. But does the £30,000 include the cost of the land?

That would rather change the return.

Nah - they said they were going to rent the land, but it's not prime space they are going to be using.

I was only riffing anyway ;-)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321
    BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

Do you detect a teensy weensy bit of complacent creeping in? Just a soupçon you understand. Richard N has just declared it lost for Ed.

Hmm.

The joy of polling is that "only one poll matters" - or so PB Tories say when they're losing. now a couple of polls show their side not increasing at all and these polls right now prove that they will win - massive sudden moves over the last 3 days proves no more moves sudden or slight will happen over the next 12 months.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

There is some chronic tinfoil-hattery going on in the comments there.

Wait till they see this one...

@holysmoke: Ukip and its racist supporters: this is what happens when small parties grow too fast via @Telegraph http://t.co/XCVb25k4Xp
  • Options
    Dyedwoolie monitor.

Euros - UKIPS to win high twenties, Lab/Con TCTC in low to mid twenties. greens to outpoll Lib Dems.
    SIndy - No change 52.5/47.5 No to Yes
    GE - Cons to hit no higher than 38, Lab no higher than 34. TCTC, equal seats, no possible government favoured outcome. lib Dems to be below 33 seats, UKIP to win one or two with a double figure score
  • Options

I think Neil's been out campaigning for the Greens, so it is no surprising the Greens are going up in the polls.

Anyone who has ever met Neil will attest that Neil is lovely.
    He bought me a beer at DD's, so I have to agree
  • Options
    @GIN1138‌

Lefties on the slide. Such as the Greens?

@Smarmeron‌
    There are going to be some very red faces on here if you are right. So red we won't see them for dust
  • Options

BobaFett said:

The data tables from ICM and Ashcroft suggest that most of the new voters for the Greens in these polls voted for the Lib Dems in 2010. They may recently have been saying that they would vote for Labour at the next general election, but they also told Ashcroft that they were quite likely to change their mind.
    Unsurprisingly the MORI data tables show the same pattern.

Some massive weighting adjustments necessary to the MORI sample. Public sector workers numbered 243 in the original sample, but were weighted down to 119. Private sector workers consequently had to be weighted up from 329 in the original sample to 422.
  • Options
    @RochdalePioneers‌

There is still a chance that this period could be a blessing in disguise. The Tories now think they have it in the bag. Labour know they have much work to do. Dire polling but all to play for.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

@GIN1138‌

Lefties on the slide. Such as the Greens?

@Smarmeron‌
    There are going to be some very red faces on here if you are right. So red we won't see them for dust

The only party on the up in a significant way is UKIP

Membership, VI polls, actual election results etc

MPs.. not yet, but that will be up as well within a year.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

There is still a chance that this period could be a blessing in disguise. The Tories now think they have it in the bag. Labour know they have much work to do. Dire polling but all to play for.

They need to start doing some work, period. Lazy opposition reaping it's deserves
  • Options
    Mike.

There's a new discussion up on Vanilla "The big driver of Labour’s decline has not been been a move to CON but to don’t know".

But it isn't on the main PB site.

Weird.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

BBC Politics ✔ @BBCPolitics

Police are investigating after UKIP MEP Gerard Batten had a brick thrown a window at his east London home. http://bbc.in/1mqoPkb

• Options
    @isam‌
    Right. No arguing with you on that one.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    isam said:

isam said:

By 2%. That's pretty funny the master politician two points up on the EUSSR puppet.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

Projecting again.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

I think it is good news for the Conservatives, it shows how fragile Labour is above low 30s.

It is all very well to say Labour voters are lending votes to Green, LibDems voters were Labour on holiday over Iraq and so on. However it is bad news to let your supporters lend votes to other parties, in time and with more practice at lending votes, they get more adventurous and fail to return.

In the aftermath of the euro elections I will be amazed if the polls don't return to the bounces we are used to and a pretty regular but not large Labour lead.

For the GE a poll with 2% Conservative lead is nowhere near in the bag. Multiply by it 4 and then the bag is getting full and you would be wise to seal it before the contents seep out.

• Options
    Next said:

Mike.

There's a new discussion up on Vanilla "The big driver of Labour’s decline has not been been a move to CON but to don’t know".

Weird.

It was but then it disappeared

I just assumed TSE was cheating again...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Next said:

Mike.

Weird.

It was but then it disappeared

I just assumed TSE was cheating again...
    You can see it on the Vanilla discussions:

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussions

• Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

isam said:

By 2%. That's pretty funny the master politician two points up on the EUSSR puppet.
    I have neither bigged up Farage nor slagged off Cameron but facts are facts, and the most popular leader on this measure is Farage
  • Options
    @‌Watcher

Not all - simply reflecting the hysteria on here, these last few days.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited May 2014
    Charles said:

Nah - they said they were going to rent the land, but it's not prime space they are going to be using.

I'm starting to think that Boris Island would be a very good idea as it would provide London with a new area of London to expand into and build on.

Granted some people are fighting to keep Heathrow but just think of the prime real estate with readily available links and pre-existing shopping centres (T5, T3).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,378
    The bottom line is that Ed is having a really bad time of it and not getting many buyers.

One of these really annoying courses I went on had this ridiculous adage, Proper Preparation leads to Perfect Performance. Sort of thing I hate really but Ed is reaping the crop of a harvest planted over the last 3 years.

Labour should have spent that time working out what their priorities are, where cuts can be made in spending with the minimum amount of harm, what is now a luxury we cannot afford, what taxes can be increased without damaging the economy excessively and, most importantly of all, how they can help the economy of this country sell to the world enough to pay for what we want to buy.

There is no reason at all that such an approach would not have produced meaningfully different choices from those made by the Coalition. Clear, realistic choices could have been offered within a credible envelope and policy structure.

Instead we had the worst form of tokenism apparently supporting a reduction in public spending but opposing every cut, populist nonsense that was anti-business and full on wonkism such at that producer/predator nonsense.

The people of this country are not being offered a choice and it is Labour's fault. No wonder people who should be supporting Labour (like our own Southam Observer) just don't know anymore.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

It's a remarkably good disguise.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

Dire polling for both of the big parties, Mr. Fett. There is nothing in these recent figures that should make the Conservatives happy. Nice to see one's opponents going down but if one isn't improving at the same time, well not too good.

Let us see what the polls say one the effect of the Euros have worn off. My guess is that during the summer the polls will bounce around a bit but basically stay as they are. Then we are into conference season and beyond that the run up to the GE when the polls might start to be a meaningful predictor.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    New Opinium EU Poll returns to Kip/Lab/Con order:

UKIP 30
    Lab 28
    Con 22
    LD 7
    Grn 5

http://news.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/european-parliament-polling-9th-may
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

I'm starting to think that Boris Island would be a very good idea as it would provide London with a new area of London to expand into and build on.

Granted some people are fighting to keep Heathrow but just think of the prime real estate with readily available links and pre-existing shopping centres (T5, T3).
    Yeah, but it would be a nightmare for me to get to the airport in the morning.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

Hmm.

Get out of here mate. Nobody, but nobody, does complacency like UKIP.

No MPs and no prospect of any yet Farage is grandly explaining de haut en bas how and why he'd entertain a coalition with Dave.

The whiff of complacency from UKIP, strong as it is, is simply masked by the smell of wee.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Hmm could a third place in the Euros kill Ed?

No. - it would be a set back, but no where near 'lethal' - Ed is here til the GE.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The bottom line is that Ed is having a really bad time of it and not getting many buyers.

The resurgence in the economy is pushing the fulcrum of the debate towards areas where labour doens't really have much to say - immigration, welfare, the EU etc.

The big political arguments on here in recent weeks have been between kippers and tories.

Labour just looks a bit irrelevant.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

@‌Watcher

Not all - simply reflecting the hysteria on here, these last few days.

Hysteria? You're over exaggerating, just a teensy weensy bit there.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Quincel said:

UKIP 30
    Lab 28
    Con 22
    LD 7
    Grn 5

Opinium UNS

UKIP 25 (+12)
    Lab 25 (+12)
    Con 16 (-10)
    LD 0 (-11)
    Green 1 (-1)
    SNP 2 (nc)
    Plaid 1 (nc)
  • Options
    Quincel said:

UKIP 30
    Lab 28
    Con 22
    LD 7
    Grn 5

Odd that a GE survey would put the Greens higher than a Euro one. It's a bit weird, either GE surveys being unduly influenced by Euros or could we be about to witness a decisive sentiment shift. I dunno why just feels as if something strange is in the air.
  • Options
    "One of these really annoying courses I went on had this ridiculous adage, Proper Preparation leads to Perfect Performance"

Good grief, these management training companies really are dire. Back many, many years ago on the Junior NCOs course we were taught the proper motto:

"Proper preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance"

Still I suppose if some company can con suckers into paying fees for a course that promises perfection at all let alone without the need for planning, good luck to 'em.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    RodCrosby said:

Quincel said:

UKIP 30
    Lab 28
    Con 22
    LD 7
    Grn 5

Opinium UNS

UKIP 25 (+12)
    Lab 25 (+12)
    Con 16 (-10)
    LD 0 (-11)
    Green 1 (-1)
    SNP 2 (nc)
    Plaid 1 (nc)
    Opinium seem to have started the fieldwork for this one, as soon as their previous one finished. I wonder if they'll keep on with that until the election?

• Options

ToryJim said:

No. - it would be a set back, but no where near 'lethal' - Ed is here til the GE.
    I tend to agree, but I think it would cause a massive headache.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One of these really annoying courses I went on had this ridiculous adage, Proper Preparation leads to Perfect Performance. Sort of thing I hate really but Ed is reaping the crop of a harvest planted over the last 3 years.

Labour should have spent that time working out what their priorities are, where cuts can be made in spending with the minimum amount of harm, what is now a luxury we cannot afford, what taxes can be increased without damaging the economy excessively and, most importantly of all, how they can help the economy of this country sell to the world enough to pay for what we want to buy.

There is no reason at all that such an approach would not have produced meaningfully different choices from those made by the Coalition. Clear, realistic choices could have been offered within a credible envelope and policy structure.

Instead we had the worst form of tokenism apparently supporting a reduction in public spending but opposing every cut, populist nonsense that was anti-business and full on wonkism such at that producer/predator nonsense.

The people of this country are not being offered a choice and it is Labour's fault. No wonder people who should be supporting Labour (like our own Southam Observer) just don't know anymore.

Should have stuck with Blue Labour in my opinion
  • Options

"One of these really annoying courses I went on had this ridiculous adage, Proper Preparation leads to Perfect Performance"

Good grief, these management training companies really are dire. Back many, many years ago on the Junior NCOs course we were taught the proper motto:

"Proper preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance"

Still I suppose if some company can con suckers into paying fees for a course that promises perfection at all let alone without the need for planning, good luck to 'em.

One of my friends went to a mediation last year at which the mediator (a full on advocate of this sort of nonsense) described the dispute between the parties as a pencil. He put a pencil on the floor and asked which party was willing to be the first to pick it up. Both parties left.

• Options

BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

Hmm.

Get out of here mate. Nobody, but nobody, does complacency like UKIP.

No MPs and no prospect of any yet Farage is grandly explaining de haut en bas how and why he'd entertain a coalition with Dave.

The whiff of complacency from UKIP, strong as it is, is simply masked by the smell of wee.
    There's me thinking he answered a question that was asked of him
  • Options
    The margins for Lib Dems to get 0 - 4 seats seem really fine...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    DavidL said:

One of my friends went to a mediation last year at which the mediator (a full on advocate of this sort of nonsense) described the dispute between the parties as a pencil. He put a pencil on the floor and asked which party was willing to be the first to pick it up. Both parties left.

Excellent mediator: at least he got them to agree on something!
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Some new markets for the Euros up at Ladbrokes shortly.

GB Vote share
    UKIP 29%
    Lab 27%
    Cons 24%
    LD 9%
    Green 7%
    An Independence From Europe 1.5%

5/6 Over or Under available on each.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Excellent mediator: at least he got them to agree on something!
    LOL, hadn't thought of that.

• Options
    Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Oh, dear. How sad. Never mind. (smiley face thing)

Cheer up, Mr. Charles. You could always move - who knows, get in early and you could be the Mr. Bond of the 21st century as after 600 years or so the centre of gravity of our great capital switches from West to (South) East. Failing that you'll just have to rely on Boris getting the new train lines built (two or three changes ought to get you there) or just give your driver more time.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

I tend to agree, but I think it would cause a massive headache.
    The 'headache' imho, would be the media narrative it generates that could last all the way to the next GE, it would be dire for Ed.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    BobaFett said:

@RochdalePioneers‌

I think that's gross simplification. All to play for for both sides is the only real position.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Looking at Ipsos Mori satisfaction ratings, it's impressive that Cameron has the highest satisfaction rating 9 years into his leadership of the Tories and 4 years into being PM. Or does it just reflect badly on the shower he's up against?
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

Should have stuck with Blue Labour in my opinion
    Agreed. The real challenges of the next few years is going to be creating and maintaining employment in this country without exploiting the weak. So issues like zero hour contracts, casualisation, training, investment, the minimum wage, housing and inequality should be the central objectives but within a workable framework. Not easy. Hard work in fact. Work that has not been done.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

Quincel said:

UKIP 30
    Lab 28
    Con 22
    LD 7
    Grn 5

Odd that a GE survey would put the Greens higher than a Euro one. It's a bit weird, either GE surveys being unduly influenced by Euros or could we be about to witness a decisive sentiment shift. I dunno why just feels as if something strange is in the air.
    Well, different pollsters, so not surprising.

There is a good chance that UKIP will be the first party to break the Labour-Tory duopoly in winning national UK elections that has existed since the Liberals last won a national election with 2.75 million votes in the 1906 general election.

So, yes, something strange is in the air.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Cheer up, Mr. Charles. You could always move - who knows, get in early and you could be the Mr. Bond of the 21st century as after 600 years or so the centre of gravity of our great capital switches from West to (South) East. Failing that you'll just have to rely on Boris getting the new train lines built (two or three changes ought to get you there) or just give your driver more time.
    What this Mr Bond?

In 1992, Bond was declared bankrupt with personal debts totalling A$1.8 billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Bond_(businessman)
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Looking at Ipsos Mori satisfaction ratings, it's impressive that Cameron has the highest satisfaction rating 9 years into his leadership of the Tories and 4 years into being PM. Or does it just reflect badly on the shower he's up against?

God knows, I can't stand the man and the more I see/hear of him the more he gets on my wick, but that is quite an impressive achievement. Aided no doubt by the muppets he is up against (and those that surround him), but impressive none the less.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    shadsy said:

Some new markets for the Euros up at Ladbrokes shortly.

GB Vote share
    UKIP 29%
    Lab 27%
    Cons 24%
    LD 9%
    Green 7%
    An Independence From Europe 1.5%

5/6 Over or Under available on each.

That makes 96% for the sum of UKIP/Con/Lab/LD/Green. That looks too high: last time it was 82.2%. Admittedly the collapse of the BNP (6.3% last time) means we might expect the percentage accounted for by the top five to be higher this time than last time, but not to the extent of taking the others down from 17.8% to just 4%.

So: the value IMO is on the low side of at least one of those bets. I would guess Labour.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

What this Mr Bond?

In 1992, Bond was declared bankrupt with personal debts totalling A$1.8 billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Bond_(businessman)
    Mr. Charles, really! I thought you knew your London! I am sure you are just teasing me, but just in case you aren't. Mr. Bond was the chap who built Bond Street and the surrounding area on the North side of Picadilly. Made a fortune and built a big house in Peckham, of all places. Though, now I come to think of it, I think he also ended up going bust.

Its been a while and I'd have to look through my papers, but said Bond also had a link with Crosby Hall, built in the 1370s and which used to stand in Bishopsgate but, thanks to the generosity of the City bankers of the early 20th century, was taken down stone by stone and eventually re-erected in Chelsea on the grounds of what was the garden of Thomas Moore's house (Moore by co-incidence was once a tenant of the Hall). The Hall is now part of the residence of another City character, but one whose career I won't discuss in public.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Millsy said:

God knows, I can't stand the man and the more I see/hear of him the more he gets on my wick, but that is quite an impressive achievement. Aided no doubt by the muppets he is up against (and those that surround him), but impressive none the less.
    I expect that it's largely a function of his government's economic performance. So Mr Cameron should thank his charmless but capable neighbour.
  • Options

antifrank said:

@antifrank - Many thanks for your excellent series of articles. Silence doesn't mean that they haven't been read attentively (and some bets placed accordingly).

I'm glad they're appreciated! They're mainly written for my own benefit, to help me work out my thinking and to record it for future reference (so I can see where I went wrong).
    They are very much appreciated.

On a related note, given present polling and the general trends, is backing the Tories in Broxtowe at 7/2 value?

Probably not TSE - there's better value to be had imho.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    One former Labour minister told the Daily Mail:

Ed Miliband has had four years and hasn’t managed to shift his personal ratings and public perception of him one iota. His numbers are catastrophic – worse than IDS [Iain Duncan Smith] or Gordon Brown. No-one has ever gone on to win an election with ratings as bad as this.’

Is this true?

• Options
    Ed Miliband has had four years and hasn’t managed to shift his personal ratings and public perception of him one iota. His numbers are catastrophic – worse than IDS [Iain Duncan Smith] or Gordon Brown. No-one has ever gone on to win an election with ratings as bad as this.’

Is this true?
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.