Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthahwks is now open

13»

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Ladies and Gentleman ... after many years ... we can finally reveal the identity of Nuala:

We can't leave saving the Union to Labour

... I'm fairly sure that whenever "Gordon Brown" is the answer to the question, either the question or the answer is wrong. Mr Brown set out his vision for Union a few months ago. As I wrote at the time, I didn't find his Great Idea terribly compelling...

... each of Brown, Alexander, and Darling remind everyone of the Brown government. It sort of sits ill that the future of the Union be left in the hands of men who did so much economic and cultural damage to the very entity they now seek to protect.

... There is one Scottish politician still alive and thriving, although no longer representing the Edinburgh Pentlands seat where my branch of Young Conservatives once spent an afternoon delivering leaflets. He has a London seat – but so what? The whole point of the Union is that Scots can succeed both north and south of the border.

This man addressed the Scottish Conservative conference in Perth in, I think, 1987 – it may have been 1988 – with an unscripted speech that stands out in my memory as one of the most uplifting, passionate Tory defences of the Union I've ever heard. I was only a teenager then, I admit it, a youngster still. But his oratory shook me to tears, and his command of that art is not diminished by time. So whatever you've been able to contribute to the campaign so far, Sir Malcolm, please find energy for more. Both your countries, Scotland and Britain, need you.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/graemearcher/100271289/we-cant-leave-saving-the-union-to-labour/

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ToryTreasury: Ed Balls in the FT launches coded attack on Ed Miliband: “I don’t think Labour will win the next election as an anti-business party.”
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited May 2014
    Just for a bit of fun, the change with yougov from exactly a year ago

Con plus 3, Lab minus 4, LD minus 2, UKIP plus 1
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    If I was Cerise i'd try and start a trend of calling Balls, Bilderballs just for a laugh.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996
    You can put the goalposts down now 'pouter.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    macisback said:

I bet Cammy is regretting the 5 year fixed term now, this summer would be ideal the way the cards have moved in his favour.

I don't agree, there is enough economic upside left until this time next year to allow wage growth to feed through into wages to neutralise any last shadow of a doubt that Ed and Ed have got no economic plan.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    Freggles said:

Pulpstar said:

Did anyone see the English Democrats PPB?

Crikey, that looked like a spoof that the Mash would come up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW8vrbbwR2o&feature=youtu.be

Hmm.

The land of St George?

The Greek Patron Saint of Georgia and Malta?

And Jerusalem?

Probably a Pole or Czech flying that Spitfire too!

With the AIFE broadcast we are truly blessed by the fruitcakes this election!
    Quiz time

Number of days spent in England by St George?
    I see your English Democrats and raise you a Britain First

That PEB is disgusting.
    A shame they use Enoch in it...

One of the speeches he made which foretold almost exactly what would happen with mass immigration was "The Road to National Suicide". He predicted that a lack of criticism from politicians of the behaviour of a tiny percentage of immigrant extremists would whip up anger and frustration from those who were already here, and the two extremes would feed off each other... PPB's like this are evidence he was correct, in my opinion.

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

New pb rule?

Gold Standard = the pollster that most consistently produces polling results you agree over all other pollsters

I thought that was a very old PB rule
    Indeed. That joke goes all the way back to 2004.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A year is a very long time in politics.

It gives a lot of time for the internal contradictions in all of UKIP, Labour and LibDems to cause major internal problems.

But also for the internal contradictions in the Conservatives to do the same...
    MaxPB said:

macisback said:

I bet Cammy is regretting the 5 year fixed term now, this summer would be ideal the way the cards have moved in his favour.

I don't agree, there is enough economic upside left until this time next year to allow wage growth to feed through into wages to neutralise any last shadow of a doubt that Ed and Ed have got no economic plan.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,954
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Just catching up from Doha, waiting for the Vietnam transfer - efficient place. I offended one chap at the transfer desk by politely asking if he spoke English - seemed likely but wrong to assume the whole world does - and he said "You think I'm like a black person who doesn't speak English?" When I looked bemused, he said he was only joking...er...

AndyJS - second Avery's advice two threads back on the Stockholm/Helsinki ideas - all of them including the ferry are worth doing.

If the polls stay very level I expect we'll see lots of quirky constituency results! The Euros are announced by borough and may give some useful hints. I tend to agree that they won't change very much once the Euros and Newark have been absorbed, but so much of the change is UKIP-driven that it really hinges on what the very different defectors from the other parties to UKI do next year.

I recall your posts you made about polls with Labour 5 plus ahead and people seemingly having made up their minds...now it seems a different picture altogether. I had a friend round this evening who is 100% going to vote UKIP next week, usually a Tory, but will vote Tory at the GE.. an interesting "anecdote ;)

Oh anecdotally, my parents, Labour voters from council houses who worked in the public sector most of their lives are both voting UKIP for the first time in the Euros

As am I!

My mum said she would never let me in the house if I voted Tory when I was younger...

I've come to the conclusion that inevitable pain of deindustrialisation has permanently damaged the Tory image and they'll never recover form it without a rebrand. A UKIP-Tory merger down the line could thus pay dividends.
    The Conservatives suffered a blow from 1990-97 from which they've never recovered. It resulted in both right and left-wing Conservatives abandoning the party.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    edited May 2014

Interesting. Anyone know how Nikki Sinclair and Natrass came to be deselected for UKIP seats?

Ukip faces a “cash-for-Euro-seats” scandal after forcing MEPs to donate large sums and threatening to bar those who refused from standing again, its former deputy leader says.

Ex-Ukip insiders have also raised concerns that the party favoured wealthy MEP candidates before this month’s European elections.

Two leading candidates for the May 22 poll, and the partner of a third, donated or lent the party tens of thousands of pounds about the time they were selected for safe seats, according to an analysis of Electoral Commission records.

No new MEP candidates from the Labour or Conservative party have made declarable donations in the past four years. Three Liberal Democrat candidates who have donated large amounts have not been given winnable seats.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4089092.ece

From the outside (outside the inner circle I mean) the Natrass deselection looked very dodgy. As part of their aim to increase the professionalism of their MEPs UKIP decided to do a series of interviews with sitting MEPs and prospective candidates to look at their presentational skills. The panel seems to me to have been an attempt (a successful one for its aims) to ensure that anyone not in favour with the central party organisation would not get through the process.

I think Natrass was poorly treated by UKIP but unfortunately he has gone down in my estimation by forming a party with some extremely dodgy characters including former BNP members who had tried to get closer ties between the BNP and UKIP and were thrown out of UKIP when this came to light. In the East Midlands their candidates included former UKIP members who were kicked out for making racist statements.

Natrass could have the core of a healthy Eurosceptic party but unfortunately he has chosen the wrong people to ally himself with and has put antipathy to UKIP above any other consideration when choosing these people.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Well, there's nothing objectionable in the first half of the English Democrats broadcast, which has simply said no to Sharia law, no to mass immigration, no to EU laws.

I shall continue watching...
  • Options
    Personally I think UKIP well rid of Natrass, particularly if wanting to be taken more seriously as a party.

Nigel's personnel management does seem to leave a bit to be desired though

Interesting. Anyone know how Nikki Sinclair and Natrass came to be deselected for UKIP seats?

Ukip faces a “cash-for-Euro-seats” scandal after forcing MEPs to donate large sums and threatening to bar those who refused from standing again, its former deputy leader says.

Ex-Ukip insiders have also raised concerns that the party favoured wealthy MEP candidates before this month’s European elections.

Two leading candidates for the May 22 poll, and the partner of a third, donated or lent the party tens of thousands of pounds about the time they were selected for safe seats, according to an analysis of Electoral Commission records.

No new MEP candidates from the Labour or Conservative party have made declarable donations in the past four years. Three Liberal Democrat candidates who have donated large amounts have not been given winnable seats.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4089092.ece

From the outside (outside the inner circle I mean) the Natrass deselection looked very dodgy. As part of their aim to increase the professionalism of their MEPs UKIP decided to do a series of interviews with sitting MEPs and prospective candidates to look at their presentational skills. The panel seems to me to have been an attempt (a successful one for its aims) to ensure that anyone not in favour with the central party organisation would not get through the process.

I think Natrass was poorly treated by UKIP but unfortunately he has gone down in my estimation by forming a party with some extremely dodgy characters including former BNP members who had tried to get closer ties between the BNP and UKIP and were thrown out of UKIP when this came to light. In the East Midlands their candidates included former UKIP members who were kicked out for making racist statements.

Natrass could have the core of a healthy Eurosceptic party but unfortunately he has chosen the wrong people to ally himself with and has put antipathy to UKIP above any other consideration when choosing these people.
  • Options

Anyone else noticed Labour's polling starts to crater shortly after they decide to give Nick Clegg a kicking?

"Never hate your enemies, it affects your judgement."

Indeed. That is what is currently destroying the once all-conquering Scottish Labour Party. Hatred is consuming them from the inside out.

Other examples abound here at PB. The virulent Scott P is my current favourite. Him and his chums are doing irreparable damage to the body politic they profess to love. But they just cannot help themselves. It is disgusting, yet fascinating, to witness. Like one of those time-lapse videos of a carcasse decaying.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    AndyJS said:
    Last declaration 8pm Friday - almost 24 hours after the polls close why so long?
  • Options

Scott P is my current favourite.

Your obsession with me is creepy. One stalker was enough, thanks.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,457
    marke09 said:

AndyJS said:
    Last declaration 8pm Friday - almost 24 hours after the polls close why so long?
    Depends on turnout, count start time and possibly erring on caution in case of recounts.
  • Options
    @TimesNewsdesk: SNP ‘cult of obedience neutering Holyrood’ http://t.co/Bqyx2Ot6Kl
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    marke09 said:

AndyJS said:
    It's worse than that: my understanding is that Lewisham council is counting on Saturday. Not sure why the PA list isn't reporting that.

Apparently the reason is that Lewisham council is in charge of the London-wide Euro count, and they also have a mayoral election to count.

On the other hand, Birmingham is in charge of the West Midlands Euro count and they're counting the local election at 10pm on Thursday evening.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    William Hill - Euro election in Great Britain, by constituency: Party With The Most Votes?

East Midlands
    UKIP 11/10
    Con 7/4
    Lab11/4
    LD 150/1
    Grn250/1

East of England
    UKIP 2/5
    Con 7/4
    Lab 66/1
    LD 200/1
    Grn 250/1

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

North East England
    Lab 1/50
    UKIP 12/1
    Con 50/1
    Grn 200/1
    LD 200/1

North West England
    Lab 3/10
    UKIP 7/2
    Con 10/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1

Scotland
    SNP 1/4
    Lab 11/4
    Con 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    LD200/1

South East England
    UKIP 8/11
    Con EVS
    Grn 150/1
    Lab 150/1
    LD 150/1

South West England
    UKIP 3/10
    Con 12/5
    LD 33/1
    Lab 80/1
    Grn 250/1

Wales
    Lab 1/12
    UKIP 11/1
    Con 16/1
    PC 20/1
    LD 150/1

West Midlands
    UKIP 4/11
    Lab 11/4
    Con 8/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1

Yorkshire and the Humber
    Lab 2/7
    UKIP 10/3
    Con 12/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    AndyJS said:

It's worse than that: my understanding is that Lewisham council is counting on Saturday. Not sure why the PA list isn't reporting that.

Personally I dont feel it's quite the same if dawn isnt breaking when you leave the count but counting the next day is probably more sensible, it's not as if there is any urgency to it.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Got a range of Euro election leaflets now, here in deepest Sussex.

The UKIP and Conservative ones are effective and concentrate mostly on issues relevant to the election. The messages are much as you'd expect, and none the worse for that.

The Labour one is just bizarre; it looks as though they are deliberately trying to con voters into thinking this is the general election, as the two main themes are the 'cost of living crisis' and the NHS, and much of the rest is about standard Milibandisms equally unrelated to either the Euro or local elections. There may well be some puzzled Labour voters surprised to find that David Cameron is still PM after May 22nd and that Labour hasn't delivered any of its pledges (BTW, is there a 'cost of living crisis', when inflation is at a multi-year low? And, inasmuch as there is, is it obvious that voting for high-spending Labour councils is a smart response?).

The Green leaflet is also a bit confused about which election it relates to, although not as bad as Labour's. But it's reasonably effective - the front-page strapline of 'Taking your side in Europe' struck me as one of the best slogans. There was one odd bit, though; apparently the Greens want a 'Europe that allows decisions to be taken more locally'. Really? So they are now onside for Cameron's renegotiation, and now oppose wind farms where locals object?

The oddest one of all was from Mike's favourite, the grammatically-challenged 'An Independence from Europe'. It is tiny - about 10 cm by 15 cm - and printed mainly in pale blue, in a small typeface, against a patterned background which is a sort of pale union jack. A quarter of the text on the back is blue text on a lighter blue background. With the help of a magnifying glass and a bright light, I was able to read it, just, and actually the content is not bad. But I can't imagine anyone else read it, certainly not amongst the potentially most receptive demographic of 50+ year olds with deteriorating eyesight. Very odd.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

Did anyone watch Bradley Wiggins doing a great time trial to take the yellow jersey in the Amgen Tour of California yesterday?

Today they hit the mountains.

Yes - Brad had an absolutely fabulous ride. He looks in good form and really determined.

I'd like to stay up to see today's stage but the timings are crazy for Europe.

That's what dvrs are for - how do you think I watch F1 races? :-)
  • Options
    Interestingly, London is the only constituency in the whole UK where the Conservatives and Labour are the top two parties. Yet another sign of how out of touch London has become with the rest of the island?

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Hey Tim.

Have the most expensive losers in America managed to bag anyone worthwhile in the draft?
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who gave helpful advice on various Scandinavian holiday ideas.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    edited May 2014
    off topic - but love the pic

twitter.com/TheBench_ie/status/466224453899542528/photo/1
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015

William Hill - Euro election in Great Britain, by constituency: Party With The Most Votes?

East Midlands
    UKIP 11/10
    Con 7/4
    Lab11/4
    LD 150/1
    Grn250/1

East of England
    UKIP 2/5
    Con 7/4
    Lab 66/1
    LD 200/1
    Grn 250/1

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

North East England
    Lab 1/50
    UKIP 12/1
    Con 50/1
    Grn 200/1
    LD 200/1

North West England
    Lab 3/10
    UKIP 7/2
    Con 10/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1

Scotland
    SNP 1/4
    Lab 11/4
    Con 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    LD200/1

South East England
    UKIP 8/11
    Con EVS
    Grn 150/1
    Lab 150/1
    LD 150/1

South West England
    UKIP 3/10
    Con 12/5
    LD 33/1
    Lab 80/1
    Grn 250/1

Wales
    Lab 1/12
    UKIP 11/1
    Con 16/1
    PC 20/1
    LD 150/1

West Midlands
    UKIP 4/11
    Lab 11/4
    Con 8/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1

Yorkshire and the Humber
    Lab 2/7
    UKIP 10/3
    Con 12/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1

The SW the only place where Lab are less likely to top the vote than the LDs even, it seems. We don't really go for Lab down this way, that is clear - I often try to give Labour the benefit the doubt, as I suspect growing up in such unfertile territory for them may slant my instinctive view, but they don't appear to be gaining much round this way. I'd not be surprised if UKIP top the poll at all though.

• Options
    For Labour to lead on cost of living (inflation reinvented) and the NHS for the week before the Euros and Council elections is indeed very odd, even if these were thought through policies.

Ed really has to work with some duds in the shadow cabinet, effectively with one hand behind his back.

Got a range of Euro election leaflets now, here in deepest Sussex.

The UKIP and Conservative ones are effective and concentrate mostly on issues relevant to the election. The messages are much as you'd expect, and none the worse for that.

The Labour one is just bizarre; it looks as though they are deliberately trying to con voters into thinking this is the general election, as the two main themes are the 'cost of living crisis' and the NHS, and much of the rest is about standard Milibandisms equally unrelated to either the Euro or local elections. There may well be some puzzled Labour voters surprised to find that David Cameron is still PM after May 22nd and that Labour hasn't delivered any of its pledges (BTW, is there a 'cost of living crisis', when inflation is at a multi-year low? And, inasmuch as there is, is it obvious that voting for high-spending Labour councils is a smart response?).

The Green leaflet is also a bit confused about which election it relates to, although not as bad as Labour's. But it's reasonably effective - the front-page strapline of 'Taking your side in Europe' struck me as one of the best slogans. There was one odd bit, though; apparently the Greens want a 'Europe that allows decisions to be taken more locally'. Really? So they are now onside for Cameron's renegotiation, and now oppose wind farms where locals object?

The oddest one of all was from Mike's favourite, the grammatically-challenged 'An Independence from Europe'. It is tiny - about 10 cm by 15 cm - and printed mainly in pale blue, in a small typeface, against a patterned background which is a sort of pale union jack. A quarter of the text on the back is blue text on a lighter blue background. With the help of a magnifying glass and a bright light, I was able to read it, just, and actually the content is not bad. But I can't imagine anyone else read it, certainly not amongst the potentially most receptive demographic of 50+ year olds with deteriorating eyesight. Very odd.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Scott P is my current favourite.

Your obsession with me is creepy. One stalker was enough, thanks.
    Not sure that I'd class it as an obsession. Think of me as an inquisitive scientist observing a fascinating mutant virus which is infecting the Conservative & Unionist party.

One day they'll shake off irritating bugs like you, but for the time being it is fun watching the party stumble about with a high fever, streaming nose and a thumping headache.
  • Options

Not sure that I'd class it as an obsession.

The volume of your posts that mention me directly suggests other wise. Seek help.

Think of me as an inquisitive scientist observing a fascinating mutant virus which is infecting the Conservative & Unionist party.

One day they'll shake off irritating bugs like you

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of any political party.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

East Midlands
    UKIP 11/10
    Con 7/4
    Lab11/4
    LD 150/1
    Grn250/1

East of England
    UKIP 2/5
    Con 7/4
    Lab 66/1
    LD 200/1
    Grn 250/1

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

North East England
    Lab 1/50
    UKIP 12/1
    Con 50/1
    Grn 200/1
    LD 200/1

North West England
    Lab 3/10
    UKIP 7/2
    Con 10/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1

Scotland
    SNP 1/4
    Lab 11/4
    Con 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    LD200/1

South East England
    UKIP 8/11
    Con EVS
    Grn 150/1
    Lab 150/1
    LD 150/1

South West England
    UKIP 3/10
    Con 12/5
    LD 33/1
    Lab 80/1
    Grn 250/1

Wales
    Lab 1/12
    UKIP 11/1
    Con 16/1
    PC 20/1
    LD 150/1

West Midlands
    UKIP 4/11
    Lab 11/4
    Con 8/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1

Yorkshire and the Humber
    Lab 2/7
    UKIP 10/3
    Con 12/1
    LD 150/1
    Grn 200/1

The SW the only place where Lab are less likely to top the vote than the LDs even, it seems. We don't really go for Lab down this way, that is clear - I often try to give Labour the benefit the doubt, as I suspect growing up in such unfertile territory for them may slant my instinctive view, but they don't appear to be gaining much round this way. I'd not be surprised if UKIP top the poll at all though.

So, are you saying that that UKIP 3/10 in South West England is value? I have a couple of hundred quid floating around in my Hills account that I'm not sure what to do with. However, I dislike odds-on bets, so was looking for something a bit juicier that a 3/10 shot.

I actually quite fancy that 11/4 price on Scottish Labour. It beats Shadsy's 9/4. SLab are actually very close to the SNP in a lot of the polling. My major doubt is how good their GOTV operation is at the moment.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

Hey Tim.

Have the most expensive losers in America managed to bag anyone worthwhile in the draft?
    The Browns have bagged Johnny Football while the Rams have Michael Sam.
  • Options
    12/1 on UKIP in the NE looks interesting.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Not sure that I'd class it as an obsession.

The volume of your posts that mention me directly suggests other wise. Seek help.

Think of me as an inquisitive scientist observing a fascinating mutant virus which is infecting the Conservative & Unionist party.

One day they'll shake off irritating bugs like you

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of any political party.
    Aha! So my theory about Orange Order/SDL was correct then.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Nice spot! Now, that IS an interesting price. Must be worth a fiver?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

AndyJS said:

Worth a lot more than that if you ask me. Put it this way — if I was filthy rich I'd put a few grand on it.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Interestingly, London is the only constituency in the whole UK where the Conservatives and Labour are the top two parties. Yet another sign of how out of touch London has become with the rest of the island?

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

The chances of UKIP coming second are a lot greater than those odds imply.
  • Options
    Ladbrokes - Euros - GB Vote Share Match Bet

Lib Dems 1/2
    Greens 6/4
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

Now you've got me pricking up my ears Rod! So, a fiver on UKIP in both NE England and in London, both at 12/1. Surely one of them might come home?

But what is your evidence re. London Rod?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

RodCrosby said:

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

Now you've got me pricking up my ears Rod! So, a fiver on UKIP in both NE England and in London, both at 12/1. Surely one of them might come home?

On UKPR they don't believe UKIP will do any better than about 10% in London.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Worth a lot more than that if you ask me. Put it this way — if I was filthy rich I'd put a few grand on it.
    Why? What is your evidence of a UKIP surge in the NE in particular? I know they are doing well there, but better than Labour?? C'mon.
  • Options
    Ladbrokes - Euros - UKIP GB vote share

Under 15% 40/1
    15 to 20% 20/1
    20 to 25% 5/1
    25 to 30% 2/1
    30 to 35% 9/4
    35 to 40% 5/1
    Over 40% 12/1
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    edited May 2014
    Stuart Dickson - My first "big" win was a 12/1 - the tension in the pub after was palpable.
  • Options
    Ladbrokes - Euros - Scotland

Conservatives to win a seat 1/4
    Conservatives to win 0 seats 3/1

UKIP to win a seat 2/1
    UKIP to win 0 seats 1/3

Lib Dems to win a seat 5/1
    Lib Dems to win 0 seats 1/10

SNP to win more votes than Labour 1/3
    Labour to win more votes than SNP 9/4 (you can get 11/4 at Hills)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

The two London polls put UKIP >20%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)#London_polls
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Stuart Dickson - My first "big" win was a 12/1 - the tension in the pub after was palpable.

Congratulations. Was it a political bet?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

I think we're talking at cross purposes. The odds are to come first. You seem to imply the two shortest odds will be the top two in each region. I don't think that follows, and UKIP have a better chance than 12/1 (imho) of coming second in London. UNS alone would indicate that.

Pity you can't bet on who comes second!

As for UKIP winning in the NE, 12/1 looks a bit stingy to me...
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Why? What is your evidence of a UKIP surge in the NE in particular? I know they are doing well there, but better than Labour?? C'mon.
    Labour are strong favourites to come top in the NE of course but there's an outside chance of UKIP doing something special there, especially because it has such a white population compared to the rest of England.
  • Options
    Stuart Dickson - No, it was Vettel - his first win. I hadn't checked the weather so I got lucky.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

The two London polls put UKIP >20%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)#London_polls
    An experienced political campaigner on UKPR has said he's puzzled by UKIP being so high in those polls.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

London
    Lab 1/4
    Con 10/3
    UKIP 12/1
    Grn 100/1
    LD 150/1

I think we're talking at cross purposes. The odds are to come first. You seem to imply the two shortest odds will be the top two in each region. I don't think that follows, and UKIP have a better chance than 12/1 (imho) of coming second in London. UNS alone would indicate that.

Pity you can't bet on who comes second!

As for UKIP winning in the NE, 12/1 looks a bit stingy to me...
    Gotcha.

I think I'll give that NE England 12/1 a wide berth. Unless good evidence of an impending Labour collapse is forthcoming. The North East of England is their strongest base in the entire UK. Followed by quite a distance by Wales.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    What have they got against Prince Charles? His dad is a foreigner.
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm.

The land of St George?

And Jerusalem?

Quiz time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYDKaUiYKVk
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Labour are strong favourites to come top in the NE of course but there's an outside chance of UKIP doing something special there, especially because it has such a white population compared to the rest of England.
    That was also true 5 years ago, when LAB walked the NE.

And I'm not sure that the overwhelmingly white nature of the NE is necessarily good territory for anti-immigration parties like UKIP. On what basis do you see a correlation between the percentage ethnically white voters and support for UKIP? I would have thought it was more a rural vs. urban thing. Are they not a bit of a hillbilly/country bumpkin party?
  • Options

What have they got against Prince Charles? His dad is a foreigner.

Pulpstar said:

Hmm.

The land of St George?

And Jerusalem?

Quiz time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYDKaUiYKVk
    And his mum is a merry wife of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
  • Options
    Labour is winning in the North East.
  • Options
    It is just a Lib Dem smear according to Simon Walters. Ho hum... there must be an election coming up. You want to keep clear of the Senioristas when the shit hits the fan.
  • Options
    Stuart Dickson -

You make a convincing argument re:Labour NE. RE:Your Ukip urban/rural analysis - suffice to say that I have choochter genetics and think you may be a bit oversimplifying.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It'd be a total shocker if they weren't!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Never! I'm stunned.

Next you will be telling us which religious denomination the Pope belongs to.
  • Options
    There's some evidence that former mining areas are good for UKIP and there are plenty of those in the NE.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Stuart Dickson -

You make a convincing argument re:Labour NE. RE:Your Ukip urban/rural analysis - suffice to say that I have choochter genetics and think you may be a bit oversimplifying.

Snap. I'm a Gael on my mum's side.

Of course I was over-simplifying. All psephology and electoral geography/electoral marketing depends on simplification. Real voting patterns are far too complex for punters to get overly concerned about.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

There's some evidence that former mining areas are good for UKIP and there are plenty of those in the NE.

Plenty in Fife and Lothian too, but good luck trying to find a UKIP voter in those villages! ;)

• Options
    INDYREF POLL

Independence battle tightens as Scots chide negative pro-UK campaign - poll

(Reuters) - More Scottish voters are favouring independence as criticism grows that the campaign to keep them in the United Kingdom is too negative, according to an opinion poll on Wednesday.

A TNS poll found support for Scotland to vote to leave the United Kingdom after more than 300 years in a Sept. 18 referendum nudged up one percentage point to 30 percent while opposition rose one point to 42 percent, leaving 28 percent undecided.

But although the headline figure showed little change, the poll found that among those certain to vote, 35 percent would opt for independence against 44 percent opposition, narrowing the gap between the two sides to nine points, its lowest since the TNS poll began last September when the gap was 22 points.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/13/uk-scotland-independence-poll-idUKKBN0DT23L20140513
  • Options
    I'm 25/32 Celt myself...
  • Options
    IndyRef betting - best prices

Yes 5/2 (Lad, PP)
    No 4/11 (various)

YES vote percentage (Lad)

44%+ 10/11
    44%- 10/11

Turnout (BetVictor)

66%+ 1/3
    60 to 65% 7/1
    59%- 3/1

Independence debate winner (BetVictor)

Salmond 2/5
    Lamont 7/4
    Rennie 14/1
    Davidson 20/1
  • Options
    Blimey - I don't like to gloat, but we called this pretty early this/last morning.
  • Options
    With the TNS poll now published, I'm off to bed. With a whacking great smile on my face. Toodle pip.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I live in such an area. Like the North East UKIP are making headway but you can still weigh the Labour vote. 1/50 on Labour in NE is about right, 12/1 UKIP short.
  • Options

It is just a Lib Dem smear according to Simon Walters. Ho hum... there must be an election coming up. You want to keep clear of the Senioristas when the shit hits the fan.
    Will Sam Cam run for Mayor of London though ?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    IMO the European Court decision over someone's "right to be forgotten" is a brilliant example of differing social attitudes between mainland Europe and the Anglosphere (or alternatively northern/Protestant Europe).

Most people in Anglosphere countries probably couldn't give a monkeys about what either they or someone else was or wasn't doing 16 years ago, and don't care if anyone else cares or doesn't care about it — (as long as it wasn't of a criminal nature).

On the other hand, in places like Spain it's apparently the sort of thing that can get on someone's nerves in a big way, so much so that they feel moved to launch a European court challenge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27388289
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

IMO the European Court decision over someone's "right to be forgotten" is a brilliant example of differing social attitudes between mainland Europe and the Anglosphere (or alternatively northern/Protestant Europe).

Most people in Anglosphere countries probably couldn't give a monkeys about what either they or someone else was or wasn't doing 16 years ago, and don't care if anyone else cares or doesn't care about it — (as long as it wasn't of a criminal nature).

On the other hand, in places like Spain it's apparently the sort of thing that can get on someone's nerves in a big way, so much so that they feel moved to launch a European court challenge.

It's amazing how much data is freely available about private citizens, especially those in the US. But the question must be asked. Google is just a very clever search engine. This man's beef should have been with the original source of the info, surely? Not that I see him having a leg to stand on there, either.

What enters the public domain, remains in the public domain.

Only more so, in the age of the Internet...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

It's amazing how much data is freely available about private citizens, especially those in the US. But the question must be asked. Google is just a very clever search engine. This man's beef should have been with the original source of the info, surely? Not that I see him having a leg to stand on there, either.

Without the internet, and the digitization of old newspapers, I would never have tracked down my first cousins (who I never knew existed) in 2011 in Australia.

An invasion of their privacy? Quite possibly. But they would agree, I'm sure, that it was 'all to the greater good'...
  • Options
    UKPR polling average updated:

Lab 35
    Con 33
    UKIP 15
    LD 9

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/uk-polling-report-average-2

Seats prediction:

Lab 332
    Con 269
    LD 22

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/ukpr-projection-2
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

I agree, you can't attack the medium. But that's what these European judges have allowed.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AndyJS said:

Lab 35
    Con 33
    UKIP 15
    LD 9

Seats prediction:

Lab 332
    Con 269
    LD 22

I'm scratching my head to find an analogue in the history of democracy where a party with 15% wins no seats... (except for micro-nations with tiny legislatures)

Stumped.

Does it not bother any supporters of other parties?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Lab 35
    Con 33
    UKIP 15
    LD 9

Seats prediction:

Lab 332
    Con 269
    LD 22

I'm scratching my head to find an analogue in the history of democracy where a party with 15% wins no seats... (except for micro-nations with tiny legislatures)

Stumped.

Let's hope it brings forward the speedy adoption of PR^2.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Lab 35
    Con 33
    UKIP 15
    LD 9

Seats prediction:

Lab 332
    Con 269
    LD 22

Stumped.

Who cares about the supporters of parties. They are a tiny minority in this country.

Speaking as a citizen who votes based upon policies I have nothing but contempt for most of the so called PR systems. True they distribute seats more fairly but they take away the ability to vote for a set of empty promises and instead hand to politicians to formulate manifestos after the votes have been cast when they promote coalitions over single party government.

The current coalition being a case in point. Many would have voted differently if they knew that the coalition is what they would get.

Suggest doing a semi french system however where the initial ballot is to select the two or three parties to contest the election and you may be onto something as in the second round we could all know what the hell we were voting for.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I saw Conservative, Labour etc on my ballot paper. There was nothing called 'coalition agreement'.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lab 35
    Con 33
    UKIP 15
    LD 9

Seats prediction:

Lab 332
    Con 269
    LD 22

LD 22 -> that'd be fun. It'd leave the SLDs with just 3 seats:

Orkney & Shetland (the Secretary of State for Scotland, wotzizname)
    Ross, Skye & Lochaber (Charlie Kennedy, your local IND candidate)
    North East Fife (vacant after the old guy buggered off)

I'd love to see the look on Rennie's fizzog the day after. Talk about bulldogs chewing wasps.

• Options
    edited May 2014

I saw Conservative, Labour etc on my ballot paper. There was nothing called 'coalition agreement'.

In Scotland there is something called "Scottish Conservatives – No to Independence" on the European Parliament ballot paper. Ho ho. That'll give a "boost" to the BeTory Together campaign. I'd love to have seen Darling's face when he found out about that wee clanger.
  • Options
    Ruth also announced today that the party will appear on the ballot paper at the European elections as “Scottish Conservatives – No to Independence”.

This sends out a clear message that a vote for the Scottish Conservatives at this election is one to back our UK family of nations, as this will give us more influence to change Europe.

Ruth will also accuse Labour and the SNP of “bottling it” on the need to reform the EU, with a recent survey showing only a quarter of Scots think the European Union should remain unchanged.

http://www.scottishconservatives.com/2014/05/yes-change-europe-independence/

Nice wee bit of unity there. In classic BeTory Together fashion.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Dick Douglas

Former MP for:

Clackmannan & East Stirlingshire 1970–Feb 1974

Dunfermline 1979–1983

Dunfermline West 1983–1992

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Douglas
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

INDYREF POLL

Independence battle tightens as Scots chide negative pro-UK campaign - poll

(Reuters) - More Scottish voters are favouring independence as criticism grows that the campaign to keep them in the United Kingdom is too negative, according to an opinion poll on Wednesday.

A TNS poll found support for Scotland to vote to leave the United Kingdom after more than 300 years in a Sept. 18 referendum nudged up one percentage point to 30 percent while opposition rose one point to 42 percent, leaving 28 percent undecided.

But although the headline figure showed little change, the poll found that among those certain to vote, 35 percent would opt for independence against 44 percent opposition, narrowing the gap between the two sides to nine points, its lowest since the TNS poll began last September when the gap was 22 points.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/13/uk-scotland-independence-poll-idUKKBN0DT23L20140513

Stuart, is it any wonder when you see stuff like this , how pathetic can unionists get.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/475767/Bank-warns-cash-could-flood-out-of-Scotland-after-Yes-vote
This discussion has been closed.