Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The build up to the May 22nd elections

124»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    edited May 2014

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mods, can Sam's last post be deleted, please? I meant it to remain private between us.

Hoist by your own petard, OK for you to call Sam racist but you do not like your own views aired , pathetic.
    When have I called him a racist?
    Best case is you inferred it if not blatantly stating it. Read your own note.
    How, FFS?
    Josias, I do not want to converse further on it you have played that card once too often and should just suck it up and get on with it. Sam seems to want it dropped as well. Best to just move on. Think yourself lucky your are not being accused of drinking Buckie and eating deep fried mars bars all the time by absolute lunatics.

PS. I should not have opened my big mouth and got involved , so memo sent for future reference. However I think you were in the wrong and should retire gracefully for what it is worth.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476
    Looking at that Pew attitudes survey it seems the UK and Germany are the least anti-Semitic countries in Europe with only 7% and 5% having unfavourable views. For Muslims the UK is the least intolerant in Europe, but we are slightly more intolerant of gypsies than others in Europe. Fascinating stuff.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    MikeK said:

@Alanbrooke
    "You have a point of Cameron, but I get so bored with kippers blaming him for everything from gay marriage to the Fall of Constantinople that I give him a let. With Osborne and Cameron it's hard to work out who's the puppet and who's the puppet master. I think I've settled for self operating puppets."

We Kippers don't blame Cammo for the fall of Constantinople. We blame him for the emasculation of the Conservative Party and it's eventual fall.

errr you're not conservatives, you're kippers. Why should one party fascinate you more than all the others ? Furthermore why should a bloke who's a spent force deserve so much of your irrational ire ?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ToryJim said:

malcolmg said:

ToryJim said:
    The money is coming in now at a good clip, and from a far greater variety of sources than the Yes camp's reliance on lottery millionaires
    At least YES only take money from people who have a vote in the referendum. NO camp take it from anyone from anywhere. Sour grapes that the NO billionaires and millionaires are too tight to contribute.
    Not having a vote is not the same as not having an interest. I have an interest in this despite not having a vote because Scotland is part of my country the United Kingdom, and Scottish heritage is as much part of my identity as it is of anyone born north of Berwick. It is right the decision on their future is reserved to Scotland but to pretend that it isn't something that anyone outside Scotland should have a stake in or a view on is the most unattractive part of the Yes side.
    Jim, get off your high horse. I was talking about where donations come from. Nobody said you did not have a right to be interested or have an opinion.
    However Carlotta crowing about NO donations when they take them from anyone , ie 65 million in UK alone as opposed to YES who limit to only people with a vote in the referendum is very sad and vicious. She does not berate all the billionaire and millionaire unionists for not supporting NO , in other words an arse.
    Since you are talking out of your derrière it's a bit muffled by you being on your high horse - YESNP's fig leaf of "only accepting money from voters" is blown away by 80% of it coming from lottery players across Europe!
    Now you have lost the plot completely. So where did all the NO money come from , did the people find it in a field , did Ian Taylor print it himself. Sad excuse for an argument. Given the Weir's live and vote in Scotland , what is your issue with them spending their personal money how they wish. Just envy that they are not giving it to unionists, most of your millionaires are too busy grabbing more loot to bother donating.
    80% of YESNP's money has come from Euro Lottery players. Get over it.

NO having hundreds of millionaires
    Source?

What we do know is that No has 50% more small donors than Yes - and that really bugs you, doesn't it?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

Today's Betting Mystery:

The CONS have just overtaken LAB in two polls. So, why have the constituency markets not shifted one iota?

It obviously takes time for people to react.

I mentioned earlier today that the odds in Bedford have remained the same as before. Tories are still 2/1. I placed a small bet on them just now due to yesterday's polls.
    I always thought that the polls were already a reaction by the public. Are you saying that it's the other way round and that we are being manipulated by the polling companies?
    Not polling companies but manipulated by someone for sure.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,090
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mods, can Sam's last post be deleted, please? I meant it to remain private between us.

Hoist by your own petard, OK for you to call Sam racist but you do not like your own views aired , pathetic.
    How, FFS?
    Josias, I do not want to converse further on it you have played that card once too often and should just suck it up and get on with it. Sam seems to want it dropped as well. Best to just move on. Think yourself lucky your are not being accused of drinking Buckie and eating deep fried mars bars all the time by absolute lunatics.

PS. I should not have opened my big mouth and got involved , so memo sent for future reference. However I think you were in the wrong and should retire gracefully for what it is worth.
    What card? As far as I'm aware I have never called anyone on PB a racist, and I'm darned if I can work out what I'm supposed to have said that can be inferred that way.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Gosh, lots of bad temper in the last half hour or so. That cannot be good. If I could I would post a picture of a nice spaniel puppy to settle everyone down by making them go, "Ahhh". As I can't work out how to get a picture onto this blog, I will just mention this: Herself has just accused me of spoiling our cats.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Osborne's father-in-law breaks ranks on fracking.

Howell, who was a Foreign Office minister from 2010 to 2012, said that ministers were "MUCH too optimistic" about the potential benefits of shale gas exploration, adding that their excessive enthusiasm could "prove extremely dangerously [sic] politically when the reality unfolds”.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/13/fracking-flawed-lord-howell-optimistic_n_5316599.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077

MikeK said:

@Alanbrooke
    "You have a point of Cameron, but I get so bored with kippers blaming him for everything from gay marriage to the Fall of Constantinople that I give him a let. With Osborne and Cameron it's hard to work out who's the puppet and who's the puppet master. I think I've settled for self operating puppets."

We Kippers don't blame Cammo for the fall of Constantinople. We blame him for the emasculation of the Conservative Party and it's eventual fall.

errr you're not conservatives, you're kippers. Why should one party fascinate you more than all the others ? Furthermore why should a bloke who's a spent force deserve so much of your irrational ire ?
    Of course it wasn't Cameron who was responsible for the Fall of Constantinople!

It was Thatcher. Must have been!
  • Options

Gosh, lots of bad temper in the last half hour or so. That cannot be good. If I could I would post a picture of a nice spaniel puppy to settle everyone down by making them go, "Ahhh". As I can't work out how to get a picture onto this blog, I will just mention this: Herself has just accused me of spoiling our cats.

Herself has just accused me of spoiling our cats.

Did you run them over ?
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

ToryJim said:
    They are raiding the graveyards to get a team together.
    Labour to field a bunch of losers.
    Darling loser and invisible
    Brown loser and invisible
    Lamont loser and invisible
    Alexander multiple loser and invisible
    Murphy loser and invisible
    Roy loser and invisible

God help us.
    if this is the case, why isn't it 90:10 to Yes?

Rather than 56:44 to No?

No is winning is spite of the dire Labour team, not because of it.
    Wise words. But noone is listening.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ToryJim said:

malcolmg said:

ToryJim said:
    The money is coming in now at a good clip, and from a far greater variety of sources than the Yes camp's reliance on lottery millionaires
    At least YES only take money from people who have a vote in the referendum. NO camp take it from anyone from anywhere. Sour grapes that the NO billionaires and millionaires are too tight to contribute.
    Not having a vote is not the same as not having an interest. I have an interest in this despite not having a vote because Scotland is part of my country the United Kingdom, and Scottish heritage is as much part of my identity as it is of anyone born north of Berwick. It is right the decision on their future is reserved to Scotland but to pretend that it isn't something that anyone outside Scotland should have a stake in or a view on is the most unattractive part of the Yes side.
    Jim, get off your high horse. I was talking about where donations come from. Nobody said you did not have a right to be interested or have an opinion.
    However Carlotta crowing about NO donations when they take them from anyone , ie 65 million in UK alone as opposed to YES who limit to only people with a vote in the referendum is very sad and vicious. She does not berate all the billionaire and millionaire unionists for not supporting NO , in other words an arse.
    Since you are talking out of your derrière it's a bit muffled by you being on your high horse - YESNP's fig leaf of "only accepting money from voters" is blown away by 80% of it coming from lottery players across Europe!
    Now you have lost the plot completely. So where did all the NO money come from , did the people find it in a field , did Ian Taylor print it himself. Sad excuse for an argument. Given the Weir's live and vote in Scotland , what is your issue with them spending their personal money how they wish. Just envy that they are not giving it to unionists, most of your millionaires are too busy grabbing more loot to bother donating.

Source?

What we do know is that No has 50% more small donors than Yes - and that really bugs you, doesn't it?
    You are sadly mistaken, I don't give a toss.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How, FFS?

What card? As far as I'm aware I have never called anyone on PB a racist, and I'm darned if I can work out what I'm supposed to have said that can be inferred that way.
    Josias, just ignore my ramblings then, chill out and move on.
  • Options

Did you run them over ?
    That is a very naughty comment, Mr. Brooke.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ToryJim said:

malcolmg said:

ToryJim said:
    unattractive part of the Yes side.

Source?

You are sadly mistaken, I don't give a toss.
    And no source for yet another of your fatuous claims.....80% funding by Euro Lottery players......how embarrassing is that?

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Osborne's father-in-law breaks ranks on fracking.

Howell, who was a Foreign Office minister from 2010 to 2012, said that ministers were "MUCH too optimistic" about the potential benefits of shale gas exploration, adding that their excessive enthusiasm could "prove extremely dangerously [sic] politically when the reality unfolds”.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/13/fracking-flawed-lord-howell-optimistic_n_5316599.html

It was reported that the top priority of the FCO was 'global warming'.

• Options

Did you run them over ?
    Only trying to add a bit of humour to a tetchy thread. On the other hand it was nice to see a few old friends pop in earlier downthread, hopefully as we get towards the GE it will be come more frequent. I do miss my early morning leg pulls with Roger.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MikeK said:

@Alanbrooke

Fair enough it's easy to forget - almost impossible to remember in fact - but they are the government and Cameron is the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,090
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How, FFS?

Josias, just ignore my ramblings then, chill out and move on.
    Fair enough. Peace.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    Would be UKIP councillor complains to Brent council about a shop illegally operating as a Mosque

"Can you please explain to me and my fellow community members, how you can allow a general purpose shop to refuse entry to customers on the grounds of religion, race and attire? Is that the way you intend to promote the community cohesion you always bang on about whenever it suits you?" wrote Mr Vockrodt"

Emails end up at The Guardian...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/13/guardian-bully-tactics-against-ukip-councillor

• Options
    edited May 2014
    MrJones said:

MikeK said:

@Alanbrooke

Fair enough it's easy to forget - almost impossible to remember in fact - but they are the government and Cameron is the Prime Minister.
    I still don't get the fascination with a weak willed govenment. It's not as if UKIP is in a hurry to do something itself, all it's plans are based on things that might happen in the next decade. There isn't much of a plan for the here and now.
  • Options

Did you run them over ?
    Only trying to add a bit of humour to a tetchy thread. On the other hand it was nice to see a few old friends pop in earlier downthread, hopefully as we get towards the GE it will be come more frequent. I do miss my early morning leg pulls with Roger.
    I know what you mean, Mr. B., some people seem to be investing too much of themselves into their posts and as a result are, perhaps, more intolerant to opposing views than they need be and so the temperature goes up.

Probably what the site needs is regular pictures of spaniels and/or kittens plus regular healthy doses of HS2 debates and posts on how the City would be a squalid dump if it were not for England's engineering industries.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    If only he'd added 'ir' to 'the' - this would have made more sense.

Ed Miliband‏@Ed_Miliband·29 mins
    I just voted to help nine million renters with the cost of living by banning rip-off letting fees.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "results of our last EU poll... new one in field at the moment…"

twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/466285455714312192

New EU Parliament poll from Opinium in the works.
  • Options

Did you run them over ?
    I know what you mean, Mr. B., some people seem to be investing too much of themselves into their posts and as a result are, perhaps, more intolerant to opposing views than they need be and so the temperature goes up.

Probably what the site needs is regular pictures of spaniels and/or kittens plus regular healthy doses of HS2 debates and posts on how the City would be a squalid dump if it were not for England's engineering industries.
    We need a Scotland thread to cool tempers.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MrJones said:

MikeK said:

@Alanbrooke

I still don't get the fascination with a weak willed govenment. It's not as if UKIP is in a hurry to do something itself, all it's plans are based on things that might happen in the next decade. There isn't much of a plan for the here and now.
    No probs, I was just using your comment to make a joke to myself.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712
    edited May 2014
    Euro-Elections game

For anyone who would like to play, the game is now out:

http://www.electiongame.co.uk/euros14/

Entries close 7am Thursday 22nd May.

Also available, Belgium (same deadline):

http://www.electiongame.co.uk/belgium14/

Many thanks,

DC
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    edited May 2014
    Good evening, everyone.

Good to see you on, Mr. Carpet.

Edited extra bit: as someone suggested trivial news might be welcome, Dragon Age: Inquisition is to have a Collector's Edition. RRP is $170.

Even if I had a load of money (I may have mentioned previously that I don't...) I doubt I'd even consider that.

On the plus side, Amazon's bog standard last-gen price has fallen to £39, over a tenner less than the initial price.
  • Options

Did you run them over ?

We need a Scotland thread to cool tempers.
    Maybe another Scottish thread might not be the optimum when it comes to cooling tempers. Voting systems or railways would probably be better or, maybe, just by way of a change a Dave is crap thread.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959

Did you run them over ?

Trouble is the increasing de-Barnettization of capital porjects in London ... wouldn't work for those. Spaniels and Labradors and (old) trains are much safer. Here is a nice clip which @Dr_Spyn pointed out to me some months back when we were debating railway liveries. BR Southern Region buffet car. ca. 1950. Outside was painted brickwork on the lower half and painted mock half-timbering on the upper half. As he said, 'clipped accents abound'.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JAd4AcB1t1M

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    UKPR reduces 'average' Lab lead to 2%, majority 14....
  • Options
    Beautifully typical Mail article, I can see the teachers point but not sure their solution is viable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2627226/Call-female-teachers-SIR-demand-feminist-academics-bid-end-sexist-culture-classroom.html
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, I really dislike homogenising language in that way (Journey to Altmortis, well worth buying, incidentally, specifically refers to Anja as a huntress). Feminine forms, such as actress, should not be abandoned.

By doing that and calling female thespians actors what we're doing is saying that the male form is the norm. We're also limiting vocabulary and making it clunkier (an actress gives you profession and gender, likewise actor, but only if you have both terms).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Did you run them over ?

Trouble is the increasing de-Barnettization of capital porjects in London ... wouldn't work for those. Spaniels and Labradors and (old) trains are much safer. Here is a nice clip which @Dr_Spyn pointed out to me some months back when we were debating railway liveries. BR Southern Region buffet car. ca. 1950. Outside was painted brickwork on the lower half and painted mock half-timbering on the upper half. As he said, 'clipped accents abound'.

Excellent stuff, Carnyx, a great find and thank you. The old buffet cars on SE region are still much missed by the drinking commuter, they were far superior to this modern idea of a trolley which tours the train and reaches your carriage two minutes before you are due to get off. Not only could one get a drink (and cheese on toast) but there was also a sense of community (especially when the smoking ban first hit). The journey back was always something of a free for all but the buffet car on the 10:05 to Town (aka The Gentlemen's Express) was a delight.
  • Options

Mr. Jim, I really dislike homogenising language in that way (Journey to Altmortis, well worth buying, incidentally, specifically refers to Anja as a huntress). Feminine forms, such as actress, should not be abandoned.

By doing that and calling female thespians actors what we're doing is saying that the male form is the norm. We're also limiting vocabulary and making it clunkier (an actress gives you profession and gender, likewise actor, but only if you have both terms).

Oh I tend to agree, but like I say can see the point they attempt to make.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,317
    edited May 2014
    UKPR rolling graph updated tonight - Lab drops below 35% for the first time since Summer 2010.

Funny - it doesn't seem long since we couldn't stop reading posts on here about how stable the Labour share was.

Lab just clinging to the lead on UKPR because of the Survation on Sunday.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

That's a very good point, Miss.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

UKPR reduces 'average' Lab lead to 2%, majority 14....

Yep, Anthony's graph sum's it all up;

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2

Labour has been in decline since spring 2013 and now they really have nowhere to go but below the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Mr. Next, do you want me to give you a caning?
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

I agree with much of this Morris. If we want to normalise and de-gender (masculise) language to this extent why even bother with gendered personal pronouns? after all these are the ultimate form of gendered language. Of course, some gendered terms have died out - aviatrix, manageress. But who would call a waitress a waiter? Few people would call actresses actors either, nor barmaids bartenders.

Here's a quiz question, name three words (other than jobs) that have a feminine form...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Nigel Farage @Nigel_Farage

I've just heard the disgraceful news that my colleague @GerardBattenMEP's house was attacked with bricks http://uki.pt/9JJ9zI

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Mr. Fett, aviatrix is a great term. I may even crowbar it into a future story...

Edited extra bit: and for terms:
    archeress
    dominatrix (can be a job, but needn't be)
    can't think of a third off the top of my head
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959

Carnyx said:

Did you run them over ?

Excellent stuff, Carnyx, a great find and thank you. The old buffet cars on SE region are still much missed by the drinking commuter, they were far superior to this modern idea of a trolley which tours the train and reaches your carriage two minutes before you are due to get off. Not only could one get a drink (and cheese on toast) but there was also a sense of community (especially when the smoking ban first hit). The journey back was always something of a free for all but the buffet car on the 10:05 to Town (aka The Gentlemen's Express) was a delight.
    As I said, we owe it to the good Dr Spyn - but it is I agree most evocative.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited May 2014

Good evening, everyone.

Good to see you on, Mr. Carpet.

Edited extra bit: as someone suggested trivial news might be welcome, Dragon Age: Inquisition is to have a Collector's Edition. RRP is $170.

Even if I had a load of money (I may have mentioned previously that I don't...) I doubt I'd even consider that.

On the plus side, Amazon's bog standard last-gen price has fallen to £39, over a tenner less than the initial price.

I personally wouldn't regard news on the upcoming DA: Inquisition to be trivial, but it is indeed welcome.

Here's hoping Civilization: Beyond Earth is awesome as well.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I agree with much of this Morris. If we want to normalise and de-gender (masculise) language to this extent why even bother with gendered personal pronouns? after all these are the ultimate form of gendered language. Of course, some gendered terms have died out - aviatrix, manageress. But who would call a waitress a waiter? Few people would call actresses actors either, nor barmaids bartenders.

Here's a quiz question, name three words (other than jobs) that have a feminine form...
    Well blond/blonde and fiancé/fiancée are two.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    kle4 said:

Here's hoping Civilization: Beyond Earth is awesome as well.

Quite looking forward to this one. A big fan of the Civ series, and I fondly recall the original Colonization.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    New Thread
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

This is why I occasionally come on this site,some fantastic youtubes,not quite old enough to remember this one,but thanks for posting.

This discussion has been closed.