Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: May 8th 2014

2»

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,879

GIN1138 said:

Have noticed a few glitches today with Vanilla, especially when trying to edit?

Has been a pain this evening, keeps on logging me out.
    Yeah I've had that.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Apparently the LD candidate in Newark will be David Watts.

He contested Broxtowe in 2010, 2005 and 2001.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    & Lucas ! No journos tonight.
  • Options
    It does appear to be Farage against everyone else on QT. Seems a little unfair to me.
    Nige might have to go easy on them.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

It appears that the change in the LAB lead is due to a 2010LAB vote leak to UKIP and CON when comparing yougov from 6th May to the one from 10th March, with men going to CON and women to UKIP. Why would someone who voted Labour in 2010 vote for the CONs today?

Maybe they're Scottish voters who liked having a Scottish PM.
  • Options
    10 points to Griffindor for the asian chap in the audience !!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    That guy must be a UKIP plant!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Speedy said:

It appears that the change in the LAB lead is due to a 2010LAB vote leak to UKIP and CON when comparing yougov from 6th May to the one from 10th March, with men going to CON and women to UKIP. Why would someone who voted Labour in 2010 vote for the CONs today?

1. Because, against expectations they HAVE turned around the economy and perhaps some of those that voted Lab in 2010 now have job's, where-as they could have been unemployed in 2010?

2. The sky didn't fall in and the world didn't stop turning because we had a Conservative-led coalition, unlike the hysteria we had from Mandy/Campbell?

Labour's 2010 election campaign was actually pretty effective in terms of scare-mongering and hysteria about what the evil Tories would do (same with Boris in the 2008 Mayoral election) So, the fact things haven't been anywhere near as bad as Labour's hysteria means there could be room for the Conservatives (and potentially the Lib-Dems) to win some 2010 Labour voters.

• Options
    Chuka is so robotic, an awful display
  • Options

Camborne and Redruth (Con Maj = 66), best prices:

Con 1/2 (SJ, PP)
    LD 5/2 (Lad, PP)
    UKIP 10/1 (Lad)
    Lab 20/1 (Lad)

antifrank said:

So with Labour's apparent glissando in the polls, which voters are changing their allegiance and where are they changing it to? Forgive me if I find it hard to credit that bleeding heart 2010 Lib Dem voters are deciding to put an X in Mr Farage's box.

I bet it is happening, especially in places like the south west.

For a lot of voters the LDs were simply a protest vote against the main two; they didn't have much of a clue of what they stood for in terms of policies on subjects like Europe. So it's natural they would shift to UKIP now.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Does Chuka intend to sound patronising ?

He does manage it marvellously.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    AndyJS said:

Con 1/2 (SJ, PP)
    LD 5/2 (Lad, PP)
    UKIP 10/1 (Lad)
    Lab 20/1 (Lad)

antifrank said:

So with Labour's apparent glissando in the polls, which voters are changing their allegiance and where are they changing it to? Forgive me if I find it hard to credit that bleeding heart 2010 Lib Dem voters are deciding to put an X in Mr Farage's box.

For a lot of voters the LDs were simply a protest vote against the main two; they didn't have much of a clue of what they stood for in terms of policies on subjects like Europe. So it's natural they would shift to UKIP now.
    You'll get my views on the south west tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    The man in the audience talks about a fearful electorate and then makes a point that he fears us losing industry to Europe if we are out ?

wtf ?
  • Options
    Caroline Lucas and Shirley Williams could be mother and daughter.
  • Options
    isam said:

I've never thought he was any good personally. Don't understand what all the fuss is about him.

He's certainly no (young) Tony Blair.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

The man in the audience talks about a fearful electorate and then makes a point that he fears us losing industry to Europe if we are out ?

wtf ?

This is like a PPB for UKIp.. that last guy was a gift
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Socrates said:

New poll in Ukraine show that 70% of those in the Eastern regions want the country to remain united:

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/05/08/despite-concerns-about-governance-ukrainians-want-to-remain-one-country/

54% of Crimeans want regions to be able to secede.

I think opinion polls in war zones are not very reliable, very difficult to find a representative sample in a battlefield.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Con 1/2 (SJ, PP)
    LD 5/2 (Lad, PP)
    UKIP 10/1 (Lad)
    Lab 20/1 (Lad)

antifrank said:

A tier 3 UKIP bet, I took 16s for pennies
  • Options
    Boko Harem's official name is The Congregation of the People of Tradition for Proselytism and Jihad.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2014
    Well, this is a shock. I've always thought of Richard Tyndall as wrong but sane, but I see that he posted this on the previous thread:

Those who are deluded are the ones who think that a referendum under Cameron will have any chance of resulting in a Brexit.

Blimey. Just Blimey.

I am lost for words, which doesn't happen often.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

I've never thought he was any good personally. Don't understand what all the fuss is about him.

He's never been the new Tony Blair, he's the new/British Barack Obama

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chuka-umunnas-british-obama-wikipedia-entry-came-from-his-former-office-8569083.html
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chuka-umunnas-british-obama-wikipedia-entry-came-from-his-former-office-8569083.html
    Well, I'm no fan of Barack, but seriously, LOL!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Goodness me, has Dan Hodges defected to the LDs?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Goodness me, has Dan Hodges defected to the LDs?

He's going to be the Cleggie Cuckoo in the Farron nest. ;)
  • Options

isam said:

Some politicians are strong on substance others on image.
    Chuka is probably the image type, he looks good on TV with the sound off.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges:

"Nick Clegg has taken a stand for Europe and against Ukip – so he's got my vote"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100270662/nick-clegg-has-taken-a-stand-for-europe-and-against-ukip-so-hes-got-my-vote/
  • Options
    Shapps answer on AZ-Pfizer sounds suspiciously like he is agreeing with Ed M's "In the British interest" test.
  • Options
    Shirley Williams is in fine form considering she contested Southampton Test as long ago as 1959:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Test_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1950s
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Dan Hodges:

"Nick Clegg has taken a stand for Europe and against Ukip – so he's got my vote"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100270662/nick-clegg-has-taken-a-stand-for-europe-and-against-ukip-so-hes-got-my-vote/

The LibDems are DOOMED in the euro elections aren't they?
  • Options
    Terrible time keeping on this last question - Lucas/Farage not got a word in.
  • Options
    Grant Shapps is makîng a dog's breakfast of his contributions.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

He is useless

A posturing snob as Bligh might say of Christian
  • Options
    Re: LD-UKIP switchers. I was a 2010 LD and likely to be UKIP in 2015. I liked the LDs as I saw them as centrist and in the middle of the other two parties. I was actually happy with the Coalition but went off them when the LDs started setting themselves up as opposition to their own government.

What has also changed is that I used to be fairly neutral on the EU but have massively turned against it over Greece and Cyprus.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Well, this is a shock. I've always thought of Richard Tyndall as wrong but sane, but I see that he posted this on the previous thread:

Those who are deluded are the ones who think that a referendum under Cameron will have any chance of resulting in a Brexit.

Blimey. Just Blimey.

I am lost for words, which doesn't happen often.

Why? His assessment is brutally and depressingly accurate in my view.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Shirley Williams is in fine form considering she contested Southampton Test as long ago as 1959:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Test_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1950s

She doesn't seem to get any older, either!!!!!

I like Shirl because she seems to be an unstoppable force. The fact she (along with the rest of The Gang) helped make The Blessed Margaret's time in office possible is an added bonus! ;)
  • Options
    Chuka's grandfather was high court judge Sir Helenus Padraic Seosamh Milmo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helenus_Milmo
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Nigel gets the last word. LOL
  • Options
    If anyone had any lingering doubts about the fact that Dan Hodges (along with Hopi Sen) represents the last decent remnant of the once great tradition of the Labour Party, this bit from his latest piece should remove them:

But I’m not voting Labour in these elections. Not after last night. I had a look at the broadcast again. I spent a significant part of my life knocking lumps out of the Lib Dems and the Tories. And I was actually offended for them. It wasn’t the infantile depiction of Clegg that got me. It was that moment when the Tory Cabinet minister says about the disabled “they can’t fight back”. How such a patronising and offensive line made it into a Labour Party broadcast is beyond my understanding. And the fact it was directed at David Cameron, a man who nursed a severely disabled child through the six short years of his life, was sickening, frankly.
  • Options

Re: LD-UKIP switchers. I was a 2010 LD and likely to be UKIP in 2015. I liked the LDs as I saw them as centrist and in the middle of the other two parties. I was actually happy with the Coalition but went off them when the LDs started setting themselves up as opposition to their own government.

What has also changed is that I used to be fairly neutral on the EU but have massively turned against it over Greece and Cyprus.

It took about 15 years after the similar ERM disaster for the consencus among voters in the UK to be against the EU, I wonder if the eurozone crisis will affect things in the eurozone countries in a similar way that it has affected your voting.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    edited May 2014
    Hodges:Clegg is also the only political leader who has actually been making these European elections about Europe. Farage has turned them into a referendum on immigration. Cameron has tried to turn them into an advert for the recovering economy. Miliband has tried to use them as a full-scale drill for the general election in 2015

Of course, immigration is very much bound up with Europe, but there is still something in what he says here with the others.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Hodges on This Week has a funny hair style. Has he always looked like that?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    GeoffM said:

It is bat-shit crazy, utterly insane.

The facts could not be simpler, and could not be clearer:

1) If we have a Conservative majority in 2015, there will be an In/Out referendum by the end of 2017. If we don't, there won't (unless there's a Conservative-led government in a hung parliament and the LibDems play ball, which is dubious).

2) If, in that referendum, the Out side prevail, we're Out.

You'd have thought - given these basic facts - that those who claim that they support Brexit would be working first of all for 1, and secondly preparing to campaign for 2. In fact they are working actively against 1, and doing absolutely nothing to prepare for 2.
  • Options
    Farage knocks out Student Union Ummuna with a knockout blow

Fantastic!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

It took about 15 years after the similar ERM disaster for the consencus among voters in the UK to be against the EU, I wonder if the eurozone crisis will affect things in the eurozone countries in a similar way that it has affected your voting.
    I think it will vary by country. Anti-EU/Anti-Euro parties can be expected to do well in France, Finland, Ireland, Italy and Greece out of the Eurozone countries. The surprise is still how little Euro opposition there is in Spain and :Portugal - perhaps due to memories of the dictatorships.
  • Options

If anyone had any lingering doubts about the fact that Dan Hodges (along with Hopi Sen) represents the last decent remnant of the once great tradition of the Labour Party, this bit from his latest piece should remove them:

But I’m not voting Labour in these elections. Not after last night. I had a look at the broadcast again. I spent a significant part of my life knocking lumps out of the Lib Dems and the Tories. And I was actually offended for them. It wasn’t the infantile depiction of Clegg that got me. It was that moment when the Tory Cabinet minister says about the disabled “they can’t fight back”. How such a patronising and offensive line made it into a Labour Party broadcast is beyond my understanding. And the fact it was directed at David Cameron, a man who nursed a severely disabled child through the six short years of his life, was sickening, frankly.

I though the ad was like a spitting image parody with real actors instead of puppets, it was very funny and it worked in that people remember its content about Clegg being the surrender type. I like satire, pity british TV doesn't do political satire much these days.
  • Options
    2 minutes to midnight on world Motorhead day.
    The 8th of May....the 8th of May.
  • Options
    I admit to having voted LD in 2010. I'm undecided as far as 2015 is concerned.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 9m

The former Labour Mayor of Halton standing for UKIP. pic.twitter.com/wXRV9F5sVI via @HouseOfTraitors
  • Options
    Chaps who jump a little low in the leapfrog !

Arf.
  • Options
    isam said:

Farage knocks out Student Union Ummuna with a knockout blow

Fantastic!

Sometimes substance beats image, especially when you listen instead of watch.
  • Options
    Sorry, this is a repeat, but such a classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxRqMJHG56A
  • Options
    SixOfOneSixOfOne Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Richard_Nabavi: Maybe Cameron should stop screwing disabled people then?
  • Options

Speedy said:

I think it will vary by country. Anti-EU/Anti-Euro parties can be expected to do well in France, Finland, Ireland, Italy and Greece out of the Eurozone countries. The surprise is still how little Euro opposition there is in Spain and :Portugal - perhaps due to memories of the dictatorships.
    I think it will vary by income, poorer countries will be reluctant to rock the boat on the promise of EU monetary assistance but wealthier ones that give the money (except Germany for foreign policy reasons) will.
    The same process like Yugoslavia or the USSR, the wealthier states left first.

• Options
    Astonishing agreement on Clegg's knifecrime angle. And utterly out of touch I suspect.
  • Options
    Crick on the campaign trial in Newark

He's called it for the Cons!

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/ukip-campaign-trail-roger-helmer/4091
  • Options
    isam said:

It's a classic mini scandal management, see how in the space on 15 seconds from 0:53 she turns the taxi rides issue into Ken Livingston has done a great job with public transport.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

isam said:

It's a classic mini scandal management, see how in the space on 15 seconds from 0:53 she turns the taxi rides issue into Ken Livingston has done a great job with public transport.
    Its so embarrassingly cringeworthy
  • Options
    isam said:

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/ukip-campaign-trail-roger-helmer/4091

In my opinion Helmer is one of the worst choices UKIP have done in years, but interestingly the CONs have opened 5 offices in Newark and Crick reveals they are empty of people and even furniture.
    I'm waiting for a poll before I decide if its a CON hold.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

isam said:

In my opinion Helmer is one of the worst choices UKIP have done in years, but interestingly the CONs have opened 5 offices in Newark and Crick reveals they are empty of people and even furniture.
    I'm waiting for a poll before I decide if its a CON hold.
    I agree I thought Helmer was an awful choice, but you never know... maybe UKIP arent so naive

He is an ex Conservative, he is old, he is more like the guy that won a massive majority in 2010 than any of the others.. who knows.?

I havent bet. But I am tempted at 5/1
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    Roman Bank on Fenland, result.

Con 763
    UKIP 537
    Lab 193
    Lib dem 24
    Ind 70

(lib dem 24 hahahahahahahahaha)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Stuart_Dickson

'Nonsense. Johann makes terrific headlines. At least one every six months.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/johann-lamont-s-name-spelled-wrong-in-exam-1-3392857

Gives a whole new meaning to petty point scoring.
  • Options
    John Sargeant ‏@JPSargeant78 58m
    The politicians do not get Farage - shouting at him, haranguing him, makes him the protest vote people want #bbcqt

Thomas Evans ‏@ThomasEvansUKIP 58m
    #bbcqt Farage tears it up with a audience arousing comment. Bumblebee finishes with a snide Policy comment.

Ben Glaze ‏@benglaze 59m
    worrying that MPs from three big parties don't realise that shouting down @Nigel_Farage makes them look terrible and proves his point #bbcqt
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Gaius said:

Con 763
    UKIP 537
    Lab 193
    Lib dem 24
    Ind 70

Con's will be pleased to hold on quite comfortably?
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

GeoffM said:

It is bat-shit crazy, utterly insane.

The facts could not be simpler, and could not be clearer:

1) If we have a Conservative majority in 2015, there will be an In/Out referendum by the end of 2017. If we don't, there won't (unless there's a Conservative-led government in a hung parliament and the LibDems play ball, which is dubious).

2) If, in that referendum, the Out side prevail, we're Out.

You'd have thought - given these basic facts - that those who claim that they support Brexit would be working first of all for 1, and secondly preparing to campaign for 2. In fact they are working actively against 1, and doing absolutely nothing to prepare for 2.
    Blimey, I wonder which is of more concern; your believing this rubbish or your expecting other people to believe it?

A few facts to counter your fantasy:

1. What Conservative majority? You didn't manage it last time against Brown. And when was the last time a Government increased its vote share?

2. Whatever happened to the Lisbon referendum that Cameron promised?

3. How did that AV referendum work out for the LibDems? Scuppered by Cameron, perchance? And you expect Ukippers to fall for the same trick?

4. Why promise a referendum anyway? That is for parties that would never form a UK Government i.e. UKIP and SNP. A party expecting to form a majority government should either say EU out or in. A referendum should only be offered if part of a coalition deal.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Gaius said:

Con 763
    UKIP 537
    Lab 193
    Lib dem 24
    Ind 70

Con's will be pleased to hold on quite comfortably?
    Fenland can't be a million miles politically as well as geographically from Newark ?

Poor result for Labour, decent for UKIP, OK for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2014
    South African election. Final result will be close to this.

ANC 251
    DA 88
    EFF 23
    IFP 10
    NFP 7
    UDM 5
    VF PLUS 4
    COPE 3
    ACDP 3
    AIC 3
    AGANG 1
    PAC 1
    APC 1

only issue seems to be a seat that may flip between DA/ANC and whether APC will make it into parliament.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

South African election. Final result will be close to this.

ANC 251
    DA 88
    EFF 23
    IFP 10
    NFP 7
    UDM 5
    VF PLUS 4
    COPE 3
    ACDP 3
    AIC 3
    AGANG 1
    PAC 1
    APC 1

only issue seems to be a seat that may flip between DA/ANC and whether APC will make it into parliament.

Had they used straightforward Droop-LR another 4 parties might have made it into parliament (with 1-seat each). They curtail the LRs at 5, then perform D'Hondt on only the parties which have seats at that point, for any remaining seats.

Still extremely proportional. Loosemore-Hanby Index of around 1.2%.
    (UK 2010 was 23%, the most disproportional in the developed world.)
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    AndyJS said:

Caroline Lucas and Shirley Williams could be mother and daughter.

.dnuor yaw rehto eht neve rO
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Good morning all. I've just had a new record low amount offered as a maximum bet by Paddy Power: 41 pence.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov: 34/35/8/13(Thursday)34/37/8/13(Wednesday):34/35/9/14

2010 splits
    Conservatives
    Today:Cons:78;LAB:3; LD:1;UKIP:17; GN:0
    Th'sdy:Cons:77;LAB:4; LD:2;UKIP:16; GN:2
    Wed'dy:Cons:74;LAB:4; LD:2;UKIP:18; GN:1
    Labour:
    Today :Cons:3;LAB:81;LD:3;UKIP:7;GN:2
    Th'sdy: Cons:6;LAB;83;LD:1;UKIP:7;GN:2
    Wed'dy:Cons:7;LAB:80;LD:1;UKIP:9;GN:1
    LibDem
    Today: Cons:19;LAB:30;LD:29;UKIP:9;GN:11
    Th'sday:Cons:17;LAB:26;LD:32;UKIP:14;GN:7
    Wed'dy:Cons:16;LAB:29;LD:34;UKIP:12;GN:5
  • Options
    Now, I appear to have worked out how to comment on this (at long last), here's the result from Roman Bank: Samantha Clark (Con) 763 votes (48%), Alan Lay (UKIP) 537 votes (34%), Barry Diggle (Lab) 193 votes (12%), Erbie Murat (Ind) 70 votes (4%), Stephen Court (Lib Dem) 24 votes (2%). Conservative HOLD with a majority of 226 votes (14%). The turnout was 29.7%
This discussion has been closed.