Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour showing that is doesn’t understand the current elect

13»

Comments

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 14m

What PPB demonstrates is Labour's internal discipline - such as it was - is totally imploding. Literally anything goes now.

He has a point, should we expect nothing but a negative campaign against Clegg & Cameron, but no policies or mention of the EU, from here on in?

When did Dan Hodges think Labour *was* internally disciplined?
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    taffys said:

devoting an entire thread on why a cheap, satirical PPB is a disaster for Ed Miliband.

Indeed. And if those marginal polls are rotten for the tories, well, no need to go any further really.

Fear not - whatever they say they will spell certain disaster for Ed!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,950
    edited May 2014
    On topic

I think the ad will be a success because it will appeal to lefty class warriors and annoy Tories in the way that tough immigration ads or politically incorrect "gaffes" appeal to Kippers and horrify Guardian readers
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    BobaFett said:

taffys said:

devoting an entire thread on why a cheap, satirical PPB is a disaster for Ed Miliband.

Indeed. And if those marginal polls are rotten for the tories, well, no need to go any further really.

Fear not - whatever they say they will spell certain disaster for Ed!
    History is full of examples of people going out of their way to avoid catastrophe only to bring it about.
    Ed is a walking self-fulfilling prophecy. Brother lumping leftist nerd with nothing new to say, intent only on hobbling into number ten on the back of UKIPs rise, brought about in the main by his party's policy of squashing debate 97-10.
    Worst bloke ever.
    Apart from Blair.
    And Brown.
    And Balls.
    And Harman
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    isam said:

On topic

I think the ad will be a success because it will appeal to lefty class warriors and annoy Tories in the way that tough immigration ads or politically incorrect "gaffes" appeal to Kippers and horrify Guardian readers

Why would the PEB annoy Tories? The characters were caricatures and ridiculous.

Labour - we're laughing at you, not with you.

• Options
    Amazing how UKIP critics minds work

They are so desperate for UKIP to be racist and unreasonable that they froth when it turns out not to be so

Last week on here I was criticised for not wanting to repatriate immigrants and today UKIP are derided for not insisting that a leaflet distribution agency only employ Brits!

We are not the BNP, get over it
  • Options
    Tornado hits pub car park in Worcester

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f6f_1399464036

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

They are so desperate for UKIP to be racist and unreasonable that they froth when it turns out not to be so

Last week on here I was criticised for not wanting to repatriate immigrants and today UKIP are derided for not insisting that a leaflet distribution agency only employ Brits!

Yes they have worse faults, they are the moan party - never happier than when complaining or running down modern Britain....
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    isam said:

On topic

I don't see the black and white gag working with anyone who doesn't remember when stuff on the telly was in b&w, in other words with anyone under 40 (being generous; even stuff like Dad's Army was filmed in colour). So it will annoy elderly Tory voters into voting Tory, and poss clean over the head of Labour-leaning yoof.

Don't unseat David Axelrod!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @DyedWoolie

"... Worst bloke ever.
    Apart from Blair.
    And Brown.
    And Balls.
    And Harman"

Appreciate you are from Norfolk and things can get a bit, well, cultural up there but Harman is not in fact a bloke. A small point, and possibly in the fens and broads not a significant one, but I thought I'd mention it to avoid any embarrassment in the future.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited May 2014
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

Yes they have worse faults, they are the moan party - never happier than when complaining or running down modern Britain....
    Nope they are the party with real vision. It is the other three parties who seem to be so terrified of Britain standing on her own two feet without the comfort blanket of the EU. UKIP at least have that vision. The Tories and Labour have nothing but their own self centred belief in their divine right to rule.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Classy effort from Labour

truly showing how fit they are to run the country.

Wonder why Labour toffs are ok but tory toffs are evil though?
  • Options
    Matthew Holehouse ‏@mattholehouse 2m
    Nigel Farage on stage with around 40 ethnic minority candidates. Declares: "let this be ukip's clause four moment".
  • Options
    Laura Pitel ‏@laurapitel 2m
    Farage attacks "white, middle class" anti-racism protesters outside ukip rally
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Good evening, everyone.

Procrastinating very briefly to bring this gem. I must admit I only read the start, but it was such fun it simply had to be shared:
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/07/jeremy-clarkson-ukip-maverick-establishment-racist?CMP=twt_gu

Headline:
    "Jeremy Clarkson and Ukip are not mavericks, but the bullying face of the establishment"

UKIP? The establishment? Rightyho.
  • Options
    5/1 Helmer you say?

"Ukip's Newark byelection candidate Roger Helmer was greeted like a celebrity as he launched his campaign to be the party's first MP – in a sign his controversial comments about rape and homosexuality appear to have had little effect on the electorate.

The 70-year-old was cheered by market traders as he visited the Nottinghamshire seat, which was vacated by former Tory Patrick Mercer after a lobbying scandal."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/07/roger-helmer-cheered-launching-newark-byelection-campaign
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    A nice tweet courtesy of Mrs Fitalass:

"So why should I vote for you"

"Ermm, did you see our PEB with a mini Nick Clegg being chased by a giant cat?"

Thanks for that smile Mrs Lass
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    isam said:

5/1 Helmer you say?

"Ukip's Newark byelection candidate Roger Helmer was greeted like a celebrity as he launched his campaign to be the party's first MP – in a sign his controversial comments about rape and homosexuality appear to have had little effect on the electorate.

The 70-year-old was cheered by market traders as he visited the Nottinghamshire seat, which was vacated by former Tory Patrick Mercer after a lobbying scandal."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/07/roger-helmer-cheered-launching-newark-byelection-campaign

Is he still 5/1?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The moment you have all been waiting for has at last arrived.

The MikeK Forecast for the May 22nd EU results:

UKIP ...... 39.3%
    Labour... 25.2%
    Tory ...... 18.5%
    L/Dem... 5.6%
    Greens... 4.0%
    An IFE.... 2.7%
    Others... 4.7%
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    Perusing my Euro election postal ballot I was amused to see there is something called the Roman Party AVE. Tempted, until I noticed the candidate is a Frenchman.

I looked up Liberty GB online, hoping they might be some sort of libertarian outfit but instead the whole website seems to be a not-so-thinly-veiled dog whistle for cryptofascists.

So I may go back to plan A and vote for Dan Hannan, Britain's third most famous Peruvian after Michael Bentine and Paddington the Bear. Although I'm a bit surprised to see Marta Andreasen still on the Tory ticket, but at no 4 she is unlikely to get in.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited May 2014
    Scottish independence: Referendum vote details unveiled
    The chief counting officer for the referendum, Mary Pitcaithly, has instructed the country's 32 councils to send out the [polling] cards on 14 and 15 August.

Postal ballots will be sent between the 26th and 28th of the month.

... Because a high turn out is expected, Mrs Pitcaithly wants councils to print 120% of the required ballots for both postal voters and those who vote in person at polling stations, in case any papers get lost or damaged.

To minimise delays, councils are also being directed to appoint one polling clerk for every 800 voters eligible to cast their vote in person at the polling stations.

... Other directions include an instruction that ballot papers must be white, with one Official Mark for the whole of Scotland carried on all ballot papers.

The front of the ballot paper will bear this official security mark, while the back will carry a unique identifying number and the name of the relevant council area.

... The chief counting officer has confirmed that the count will take place overnight on Thursday 18 September and start as "soon as reasonably practicable" after the poll closes at 22:00.

In addition, she has directed that local authorities who adopt the "mini-count" method may move to the count stage before the verification process of all votes cast has finished.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27313337

This answers a query raised here at PB several months ago: would the result be announced by Holyrood constituency, by Westminster constituency, or by council area? It'll be by the 32 council areas.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Although I'd prefer boring analysis to bad acting, I think the PPB is pretty much spot on, and chimes with many of us who feel sorely let down by Clegg.

I think it's a myth that certain approaches to campaigning will alienate voters, as though we care more about style than substance.
This discussion has been closed.