Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour showing that is doesn’t understand the current elect

Comments

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    The twitter exchange doesn't really give anything away. Ashcroft isn't likely to preempt his own release with hints and the like. It could mean, wait because Ed is great in the marginals or it could mean, wait because any strategy they have is falling on its arse in the marginals.
    Time will tell.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Many thanks to Antifrank - the thinking man's tipster - for posting the Ashcroft exchange. This has clear betting implications. I'm going to spend some quality time with AF's briefings and Andy's great charts.

There is little value in Fett's Four now, but there may be elsewhere.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    As this story cause such a commotion this AM, has this been mentioned? apols if so.

BBC – “A fugitive armed robber nicknamed the "Skull Cracker" has been arrested in east London.” - Kent Police confirmed Wheatley's arrest is in relation to the building society raid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27315001
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    rcs1000 said:

I think it's quite a funny PEB, the only thing is that I can't believe many of the remaining LibDem voters actually care about the tuition fees pledge any more.

Perhaps it's aimed at the LD>Lab switchers? To keep them on board for the EU Parliament elections.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Andrew Spalis is the founder of Fast Leaflet, the company that is delivering the leaflets.

Spalis seems to be a name of Latvian origin: http://www.locatemyname.com/usa/Spalis

Damn East Euopeans, coming here, setting up small businesses, creating employment...
    Sean_F said:

An interesting angle for Roger Helmer to explain in Newark:

Frances Hinde @FrancesHinde
    Ukip Pays Eastern Europeans To Distribute Leaflets, Despite Warning They Take British Jobs huff.to/1kLIGXU via @HuffPostUKPol LOL

UKIP would be breaking the law if they refused employment to someone on the basis of their ethnic origin.

I expect they hire delivery companies, however.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    There's an article on Labour list explaining Labour's rationale as going for the 2010 L/D voters who are still up for grabs.As for Hodges response,his record is stuck,permanently.As for Farron,he could end up the biggest beneficiary post-Clegg but if he wants to get technical,can he explain why his party continues to use so many dodgy bar-charts.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/decidedly-dodgy-liberal-democrat-graphs
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited May 2014
    Tax cuts - 50% top rate - measured in days not years during Labour's last government?

Labour are quiet about where the 40% tax rate starts, Osborne's fiscal dragnet has added about 1m taxpayers into this band. Are Labour at all worried by it? Are they worried about over payment of tax credits?

NHS safe in Labour's hands - Stafford Hospital death rates, don't mention the part privatisation of services.

And where is Ed?

One thing which is noticeable on his Twitter feed is that he does like millionaire's shortbread with his tea. The photos on his Twitter feed are worse than anything myopic media studies sixth formers put together when they are hung over.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Andrew Spalis is the founder of Fast Leaflet, the company that is delivering the leaflets.

Spalis seems to be a name of Latvian origin: http://www.locatemyname.com/usa/Spalis

Damn East Euopeans, coming here, setting up small businesses, creating employment...

Sean_F said:

Ukip Pays Eastern Europeans To Distribute Leaflets, Despite Warning They Take British Jobs huff.to/1kLIGXU via @HuffPostUKPol LOL

UKIP would be breaking the law if they refused employment to someone on the basis of their ethnic origin.

Crikey, now a party is being attacked for doing business with a firm set-up by a bloke with a foreign sounding name. People really are getting desperate.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Many thanks to Antifrank - the thinking man's tipster - for posting the Ashcroft exchange. This has clear betting implications. I'm going to spend some quality time with AF's briefings and Andy's great charts.

Well, it does if you are able to successfully infer the results of the poll before it is released.
  • Options
    I am not attacking UKIP; merely glad to see that they are more open minded than some would have thought in terms of the benefits of low skilled east european migrants to the country.

Sean_F said:

Crikey, now a party is being attacked for doing business with a firm set-up by a bloke with a foreign sounding name. People really are getting desperate.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    FFS just watched that PPB. What on earth were they thinking ?
  • Options

There's an article on Labour list explaining Labour's rationale as going for the 2010 L/D voters who are still up for grabs.As for Hodges response,his record is stuck,permanently.As for Farron,he could end up the biggest beneficiary post-Clegg but if he wants to get technical,can he explain why his party continues to use so many dodgy bar-charts.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/decidedly-dodgy-liberal-democrat-graphs

You think that dog's breakfast actually has a rationale ?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Presumably EdM giggled and snorted to that silly PPB. He will never be PM.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2014

Sean_F said:

The Lab/Lib/Con are throwing everything including the kitchen sink and then some at UKIP, as they begin to realise that UKIP is not the one trick pony they thought it was.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    God that's awful.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Hardly anybody watches, remembers or cares about PPBs.

Good job really for most political parties, as they are normally total rubbish.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

The Lab/Lib/Con are throwing everything including the kitchen sink and then some at UKIP, as they begin to realise that UKIP is not the one trick pony they thought it was.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a company and employees legitimately set up and run here by people entitled to do so.
    Hypocrisy on the other hand......
  • Options
    Carola said:

God that's awful.

What is?

• Options

Riffing Ben Elton ca 1984 but with Harry Enfields intellectual capital?
    Tories.... They bum your cats
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/01/14/romanians-in-hard-times-on-benefits-street/

"Debate focused heavily on a group of no fewer than 14 Romanians, who were crammed into a four-bedroom house as they desperately struggled to earn a living.

The men had been brought over to the UK by a gang who promised them work, but viewers heard they had laboured in a field for 17 hours for just £10."

In a more settled version of this if the owner of the house was employing them directly then if the going rate for unskilled labour in the country of origin is y and the employer offers them 2y to send home plus room and board then the benefit to the employer z is the minimum wage x - 2y (per hour).

If there's 12 crammed in a house working 60 hours a week that's 720 total hours or 720z per week.

Say x is £5 and y is £1 then z is £3 per hour and 720z is £2160 a week or £8640 a month or c. £100,000 a year.

Seeing as how much money could potentially be made doing this it's a wonder it isn't happening all over.
  • Options
    PPBs always have been a bit lame:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uzPJSuAQnbE

• Options
    Can UKIP actually destroy the Conservative Party? More signs that they may succeed in this:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100270514/it-wont-take-much-for-ukip-to-destroy-the-tories-at-the-2015-general-election/
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Carola said:

God that's awful.

What is?

The PPB. (Belated happy birthday btw...)
  • Options

Good old Mel. RIP
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Can UKIP actually destroy the Conservative Party? More signs that they may succeed in this:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100270514/it-wont-take-much-for-ukip-to-destroy-the-tories-at-the-2015-general-election/

Fairly mindless post.
  • Options

This piece of work wasn't lame, it was tetraplegic.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Carola said:

God that's awful.

I never expected anything to make me feel embarrassed for Labour. I was wrong about that.

This must provoke crossover.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Lmao, no.
    They might well destroy the country, though
  • Options

MikeK said:

Fairly mindless post.
    Completely ignores the fact that the polls are approaching neck and neck and Ed has nothing left to squeeze.
  • Options
    Carola said:

MikeK said:

Carola said:

God that's awful.

What is?

Thanks for that Carola. I'm now 80 years and 7 days old. This Ninth decade looks like it's bound to be a humdinger; If I survive, that is. ;)
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Well, it does if you are able to successfully infer the results of the poll before it is released.
    I'm taking a punt from his tone that it's not good news for the Tories. Admittedly it's a guess - I could be wildly wrong, but that's the way I read it.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Fairly mindless post.
    Completely ignores the fact that the polls are approaching neck and neck and Ed has nothing left to squeeze.
    Iain Martin is the twin brother of Dan Hodges. Everything the Tories do is wrong and if only they would listen to him. If Scotland goes Indy we should send him and Fraser Nelson back to annoy Scots for the next 50 years.
  • Options
    Carola said:

God that's awful.

That Labour PPB, 'whoops we shrank the deputy Prime Minister' is actually going on TV in 7 minutes time - BBC 1, tune in!
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

I'm taking a punt from his tone that it's not good news for the Tories. Admittedly it's a guess - I could be wildly wrong, but that's the way I read it.
    You could read it that way, yep. But Ashcrofts bad news might not equal your expectation of bad news!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Carola said:

MikeK said:

Carola said:

God that's awful.

What is?

Thanks for that Carola. I'm now 80 years and 7 days old. This Ninth decade looks like it's bound to be a humdinger; If I survive, that is. ;)
    I think we're headed for very *interesting* times, agreed!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I enjoyed the PPB, thought I've a soft spot for anything that belittles Nick Clegg and as a Private Eye/political satire fan it's my sort of thing. Not sure if it'll go down well with the voters. Might seem a bit obvious and of course relentlessly negative. I'm not sure it will alienate LD switchers, most of whom detest Clegg (women only hate cads if they've slept with them) but it looks like preaching to the converted.

We've should remember though that this is the Euro elections and rightly or wrongly no-ne takes in seriously. Givent he legendary apathy of their own voters a GOTV may make sense for Labour (for now). And let's not forget what the Tories did with AV.
  • Options
    Con to Kip switchers
    Any polling on whether the switchers are the 97-05 Tory core, or 2010s Brown out voters?
    Makes a big difference to the potential clawback and upper end Tory %
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Nick Clegg is a popular man, he is no less than 3 Party Election broadcasts now.
  • Options

Carola said:

God that's awful.

That Labour PPB, 'whoops we shrank the deputy Prime Minister' is actually going on TV in 7 minutes time - BBC 1, tune in!
    Even worse second time around.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829
    Who is the actor playing Cleggie? I recognise him from something but can't think what?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Rather telling that the Labour PBB doesn't feature Ed Miliband....

They might know he is a turn-off with the voters, but they won't be able to hide him away in the 2015 election campaign.

As for Neil's point about Labour offering to match Tory spending - bring it on. It will then be a choice between Labour who delivered the failure that the Tories have fixed - and the Tories who, er, fixed Labour's mess. Why on earth would voters take the risk of voting Labour in the HOPE that they will keep their word when they can keep the guys with the track record for success? I just don't begin to know how Labour sells that to the voters.

I guess it will mean a Labour PBB in April 2015 with the tagline "We will do what the Tories would do - but without stomping on any kittens..."
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Who is the actor playing Cleggie? I recognise him from something but can't think what?

He'll probably turn out to be a Labour Party member from eastern Europe. It's the season for it.
  • Options
    John Richards ‏@AWordIfIMay 52m
    @Gospablog: UKIP smear attack website traced to Labour and Brussels..http://bit.ly/1mBXFtf
    Quite an interesting video. The lengths Labour goes to attack UKIP from Brussels, of all places.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options

I am not attacking UKIP; merely glad to see that they are more open minded than some would have thought in terms of the benefits of low skilled east european migrants to the country.

Sean_F said:

Of course you were, doc, of course you were. We all understand.

Take something that someone or some organisation has never said then claim they are not hypocrites for doing not behaving in a way that would be in accordance with the thing they never said. Sophisticated political messaging, I am impressed.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
    the PPB is quite funny but it is so left-field that the response to it surely is an unknown.

The more I think about it the less I think it will work. It is nasty and petty to two parties (because I'm sure there remain some LDs who are not "Red" and who support NClegg) but more than that, it has personalised it "Cameron"..."Clegg"...other members of the Cabinet and we Brits don't take too well to such personal attacks IMO.
  • Options
    AJKAJK Posts: 20
    Oh Dear! Can we have Chukka or Stella in charge please? Still 365 days to go to get the right Leader
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    MikeK said:

@Gospablog: UKIP smear attack website traced to Labour and Brussels..http://bit.ly/1mBXFtf
    Quite an interesting video. The lengths Labour goes to attack UKIP from Brussels, of all places.

"Uploaded on 22 Dec 2009"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    I think it's very good. And I say that from someone who would never, ever vote Labour. I was rather annoyed by the emphasis on ward closures, NHS cuts etc. What was the point of ring-fencing health spending then? Still, I have to admit that even that is likely to resonate, so deeply is the NHS ingrained in the national psyche.
  • Options
    One for SeanT: a new hipster market on the Regents Canal. And no, it;s not Camden:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/05/canalside-containerville-is-londons-new-hipster-shopping-destination/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Carola said:
    Quite doll.

Not sure about the tag line - "Liberal Democrats - In work - in Europe". If you are a LibDem, MEP, you've just been handed your P45.....
  • Options

MikeK said:

They are still at it. UKIPwatch have been tweeting and and sending out "facts" and messages as recently as yesterday.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    I've just watched the PPB. Hmmm. Well humour is subjective isn't it ? Perhaps if I was more sympathetic to the message, my sides would be aching. "They're upper class ! Look at their wobbly chins ! "
    It definitely is playing to the gallery. Perhaps that's what they think is needed.
    I do think I could have better job myself of mocking both the government and Nick Clegg. I'm not a Labour supporter, but I could make their case better than they have here. But it's horses for courses.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    More good news for Dan Hodges.A European Financial Transaction Tax by 2016.

http://rt.com/business/157088-eu-financial-transaction-tax/
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

They are still at it. UKIPwatch have been tweeting and and sending out "facts" and messages as recently as yesterday.
    I'm sure I can find instructions to make a tinfoil hat for a pensioner ...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Mr. K., I am not a member of, and nor do I carry a torch for, UKIP, but the tri-party hate campaign that is going on is getting ridiculous. Furthermore, it would also seem to be counter productive and thus self defeating.

Since Cameron made his "loonies, fruitcakes and closet racist" speech how many voters has he lost to UKIP? The other day I saw on here that UKIP now claim 37,000 members, up a thousand in a month. How many members have the Lib Dems? How many members has the Conservative party lost in the last year or two? What party is it that is actually growing?

If the main parties really want to take on UKIP then they could address the issues that are causing the party to grow. Telling voters that they are wrong, stupid and worse is not a winning strategy. Nor is making up things up, though that one seems to have passed by some members of this site.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Fairly mindless post.
    Iain Martin is the twin brother of Dan Hodges. Everything the Tories do is wrong and if only they would listen to him. If Scotland goes Indy we should send him and Fraser Nelson back to annoy Scots for the next 50 years.
    We really do need the like button back.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Mr. K., I am not a member of, and nor do I carry a torch for, UKIP, but the tri-party hate campaign that is going on is getting ridiculous. Furthermore, it would also seem to be counter productive and thus self defeating.

Since Cameron made his "loonies, fruitcakes and closet racist" speech how many voters has he lost to UKIP? The other day I saw on here that UKIP now claim 37,000 members, up a thousand in a month. How many members have the Lib Dems? How many members has the Conservative party lost in the last year or two? What party is it that is actually growing?

If the main parties really want to take on UKIP then they could address the issues that are causing the party to grow. Telling voters that they are wrong, stupid and worse is not a winning strategy. Nor is making up things up, though that one seems to have passed by some members of this site.
    Well said, HurstLlama. I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

More good news for Dan Hodges.A European Financial Transaction Tax by 2016.

http://rt.com/business/157088-eu-financial-transaction-tax/

For something that was supposed to come into force by January 2014 and then "towards the middle of 2014", it seems that it is again receding into the middle distance.
  • Options
    Carola said:

LDs hit back (via Chappers):

I'm afraid, for me, that was moderately funny, but the tone was wrong. The LibDems have sixty something MPs and are part of the government. UKIP have 0 and aren't. It's a bit delusional of them to imaging that they're "Standing up to" UKIP. They're not the underdog.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Fat_Steve said:

I've just watched the PPB. Hmmm. Well humour is subjective isn't it ? Perhaps if I was more sympathetic to the message, my sides would be aching. "They're upper class ! Look at their wobbly chins ! "
    It definitely is playing to the gallery. Perhaps that's what they think is needed.
    I do think I could have better job myself of mocking both the government and Nick Clegg. I'm not a Labour supporter, but I could make their case better than they have here. But it's horses for courses.

The RedLibs I've known were generally a lot leftier than the average Labour voter. I'd say this is pretty well pitched at them specifically but maybe wrong.

Either way most people will like the bit with the cat.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    If the main parties really want to take on UKIP then they could address the issues that are causing the party to grow.

That would mean agreeing with UKIP to some extent. The main parties will never do that.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Bit early to tell - same story was wheeled out when the BNP was attacked - and. Griffin was on QT.

Is. Farage on QT again tonight ?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

MikeK said:

Fairly mindless post.
    Matthew D'Ancona is by far the worst, the sort of slimey smug establishment commentator whose advice cost the Conservatives the open goal that the last election was.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This PEB is being discussed on forum football 365. For context, it's a forum that has a range of political views but whose centre of gravity is considerably to the left of the pb fulcrum, as you would expect of males primarily aged 18-35. Typical comments (edited only for numerous profanities and because emoticons can't be rendered on here) read as follows:

"f****** hell it's so bad it's good

Just got to the end of it, they didn't give a single reason to vote Labour, just an attack on Clegg mainly, very odd."

"What the f*** was that"

"just shows how out of touch politics is these days.

they probably thought a comedy sketch would make people feel warm and fuzzy while appealing to younger voters.

was f****** bizarre."

"yeh couldn't believe it was real"

"Its so depressing that politics is aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Just imagine how good things could be if we could tell people the truth"
  • Options
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 14m

What PPB demonstrates is Labour's internal discipline - such as it was - is totally imploding. Literally anything goes now.

He has a point, should we expect nothing but a negative campaign against Clegg & Cameron, but no policies or mention of the EU, from here on in?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    ""It would destroy us," a Tory MP said this morning when I told him about the British Election Study."

• Options
    edited May 2014
    @IOS

"the sort of slimey smug establishment commentator "

it never ceases to amuse me how Labour think they're with "the kids" rather than as much part of the establishment as posho Tories.

It's the last page of Animal Farm I'm afraid.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
  • Options
    More evidence that exposure for Ed Miliband is bad for the Labour Party (and Ed Miliband)
    http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/r3qhl8p2an/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Leaders-Approval-060514.pdf

From May the 1st and 2nd. Ed Miliband launched the rent-freeze policy on May 1st.
    Net well or Badly:
    Cameron -12 (v slightly up on April)
    Miliband - 38 (slightly down on April)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Bit early to tell - same story was wheeled out when the BNP was attacked - and. Griffin was on QT.

I think there is a bit of a difference between UKIP and the BNP, Mr Ghost. However, if you are content to ignore what has been happening and think that lies and smears will see it change who am I to complain.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

I thought College was battling UAF protesters at a 6 p.m. UKIP meeting in Marsham Street.

After that ordeal, he'll almost certainly need a drink and a fag break rather than a stint in an overheated BBC studio.

There is only so much a man of the purple can be expected to do for the people.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

"Why men love being perved on by strangers

Tube Crush, a site that lets users post pictures of hot men on the London Underground, is being criticised for encouraging male objectification. But when Radhika Sanghani speaks to the founder, she finds out that the men don't really care"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10813203/Why-men-love-being-perved-on-by-strangers.html
  • Options

@IOS

it never ceases to amuse me how Labour think they're with "the kids" rather than as much part of the establishment as posho Tories.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Which reminds me, Mr. Brooke.

Have we lost Pork to sausage meat?

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

I don't know, but they're showing his speech live on the BBC News channel.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

@IOS

He's been turned into spam.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

""It would destroy us," a Tory MP said this morning when I told him about the British Election Study."

A marginal MP I would imagine.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

@IOS

Not sure Mr P, you'd need to ask divvie who is in contact with him, I believe he has some local difficulties with the Mods.

With a bit of luck he'll be back with his own inimitable style, though he could have run away so that he doesn't have to face Sept 19 :-).
  • Options

AveryLP said:

@IOS

LOL
  • Options

AveryLP said:

@IOS

Bravissimo, Signor.

• Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited May 2014
    For anyone wanting to follow the South Africa results (polls close 8pm UK):

http://elections.sabc.co.za/Elections2014/ElectionHome.aspx

http://streema.com/tv/eNCA

Thanks,

DC
  • Options

AveryLP said:

@IOS

Not sure Mr P, you'd need to ask divvie who is in contact with him, I believe he has some local difficulties with the Mods.

With a bit of luck he'll be back with his own inimitable style, though he could have run away so that he doesn't have to face Sept 19 :-).
    I hope he is back soon.

Losing a loved pet can be very traumatic. They are not easily replaced.

We lost our 19 year old Labrador just before Christmas.

Recently replaced with a thieving Beagle.

My fault. I should never have asked for a dog which smoked.
  • Options
    @Avery

anyway Mr Pole you've been a bit quiet yourself of late, surely you haven't been wasting your time working ?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited May 2014
    Interesting ad. Quite liked it, but then again I like Jeeves and Wooster.

What is odd is the target. Nick Clegg does a very good job of attacking himself. He can barely be less popular. There is no need to join in.

Feels like they're flying a kite for the GE. Or as other people say GOTV. One or t'other.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

"Why men love being perved on by strangers

Tube Crush, a site that lets users post pictures of hot men on the London Underground, is being criticised for encouraging male objectification. But when Radhika Sanghani speaks to the founder, she finds out that the men don't really care"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10813203/Why-men-love-being-perved-on-by-strangers.html

Our proud march into absolute frippery and absence of soul is almost complete. God bless inanity in all it's forms.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    Disappointing. I read about it in the Evening Standard earlier and was expecting some smart and withering satire. Alas all we got was a forgettable student-rag sketch filmed in monochrome. Labour should revive Dave the Chameleon - that was Jonathan Swift in comparison!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

FPT

@cyclefree

Here is Channel 4 News last night... two young people saying they dont feel British

The UKIP girl explains her position rather well. I agree with her, though it is easier for her to say than it would be for me

http://www.channel4.com/news/ethnic-minorities-uk-policy-exchange-30-per-cent-2050

I thought the girl was a UKIP supporter. Did she say she felt more English than British?
    The girl is a UKIP supporter, she said she felt more Indian than anything, even though born and bred in England.

The bloke said he was Black, African, Muslim and hated Britain

• Options
    In a

Disappointing. I read about it in the Evening Standard earlier and was expecting some smart and withering satire. Alas all we got was a forgettable student-rag sketch filmed in monochrome. Labour should revive Dave the Chameleon - that was Jonathan Swift in comparison!

In all fairness Stark you were always unlikely to praise it, let's face it.
    FWIW the Standard thought it was "hilarious".
  • Options

It will be as effective as the Tory 97 one about Blair listening to the devil.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014

I hadn't thought of the Parliament Act angle - I thought that only applied to government bills??

Clearly you haven't read any of my posts on the subject! The Parliament Act 1911 was intended to vindicate the power of the House of Commons over the House of Peers, not to expand the power of the executive. Any public bill which originates in the Commons can be submitted for Royal Assent under s. 2 of that Act without the consent of the Lords. A private member's bill is, confusingly, a public bill, not a private bill. The distinction between public and private bills concerns their subject matter, not their promoter.
  • Options

Even if it was prescient to the max
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

QT is tomorrow night, Farage hasn't been on since November and 4 other Kippers have been on since then.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Interesting ad. Quite liked it, but then again I like Jeeves and Wooster.

What is odd is the target. Nick Clegg does a very good job of attacking himself. He can barely be less popular. There is no need to join in.

Feels like they're flying a kite for the GE. Or as other people say GOTV. One or t'other.

It did seem pretty pointless from that regard. More kicking a man when he is already sticking knives in himself, rather than kicking a man when he is down.
  • Options

@Avery

anyway Mr Pole you've been a bit quiet yourself of late, surely you haven't been wasting your time working ?

Family duties, fever and builders, Mr. Brooke.

I am trying to work out which is most stressful.

And there is only so much Osborne success one can report. I fear we are in for an indolent summer, marked only by a short trip to Margate Sands to shake a fist at Johnny Foreigner. I fear things won't get truly exciting until September.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

AndyJS said:

A marginal MP I would imagine.
    Marginal now certainly.

Really pathetic journalism though. Ill-judged, ill-thought, poorly researched, and not terribly well written. I wonder if Iain Martin may find himself in the same job queue as this MP.

Why can't the newspapers find people that can write? If they continue lowering their standards even I might apply!

• Options
    I also think Dan Hodges has had a bit of a sense of humour bypass, devoting an entire thread on why a cheap, satirical PPB is a disaster for Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311

I don't think the Devil one was aired in the end. Major pulled it because he was sensitive to Blair's Christian tendencies. Shame - would have been a classic.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I also think Dan Hodges has had a bit of a sense of humour bypass, devoting an entire thread on why a cheap, satirical PPB is a disaster for Ed Miliband.

Quite. Ed is his own disaster.

• Options
    Fat_Steve said:

More evidence that exposure for Ed Miliband is bad for the Labour Party (and Ed Miliband)
    http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/r3qhl8p2an/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Leaders-Approval-060514.pdf

From May the 1st and 2nd. Ed Miliband launched the rent-freeze policy on May 1st.
    Net well or Badly:
    Cameron -12 (v slightly up on April)
    Miliband - 38 (slightly down on April)

A laughable single data point! How about conference season and Ed was all over the telly and his poll rating rocketed upwards? Not in your figures??
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    devoting an entire thread on why a cheap, satirical PPB is a disaster for Ed Miliband.

Indeed. And if those marginal polls are rotten for the tories, well, no need to go any further really.
  • Options

I don't think the Devil one was aired in the end. Major pulled it because he was sensitive to Blair's Christian tendencies. Shame - would have been a classic.
    Yes, lest we forget Blair and Bush praying to their Sky Fairy before bombing the crap out of Iraqi children.
    Religion, the cause of everything sh!t in the world.
    Johnny M should have run with it until the cows came home and rubbed the old liars face in it in 2003
This discussion has been closed.