Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big number to look for in this month’s upcoming Lord As

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big number to look for in this month’s upcoming Lord Ashcroft polling of the marginals

The big polling event of May 2014, exactly a year before general election, will be the publication by Lord Ashcroft of his latest mega sample polling of the marginals.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    First!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    It will all change between now and 2015.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JohnLoony said:

How do you or are you just expressing your hopes?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    These opinion polls of marginals are always fascinating reading, despite the challenges of accurate polling in marginals specifically. And Lord Ashcroft's commentaries on them are always well-written and well thought out.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    What will be the sample size in each of the marginal seats polled? IIRC last time it was fewer than 600. No disrespect to Lord A and his team but individual polling is much more problematic.

I'll stick with Dr. Robert Waller's general rule: that if national polling conflicts with that for marginals, it's the former that is more likely to be accurate. Wasn't that also the case in 2010?
  • Options
    Here's an article on one specific set of marginals, the east and south east coastline constituencies:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-saxon-shore-east-and-south-east.html
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    William Hill have now entered the Newark by-election market, but this has not resulted in any price changes. The best prices remain:

Con 4/7 (Hills, Lad, PP)
    Lab 11/4 (Betfair, Lad, PP)
    UKIP 9/2 (Bet365, Lad)
    LD 250/1 (Bet365)
  • Options
    Ladbrokes - Council markets

Croydon Council
    LAB Control 1/3
    CON Control 3/1
    NOC 12/1

Hammersmith & Fulham Council
    CON Control 1/2
    LAB Control 2/1
    NOC 10/1

Stockport Council
    NOC 1/6
    LAB Control 6/1
    LD Control 10/1

Other council priced up are:

Barnet
    Merton
    Redbridge
    Trafford
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    JohnLoony said:

You are not alone in that view - per the latest ICM Wisdom poll - this is what Martin Boon said about the previous poll (the latest isn't up on ICM yet):

Over time, there is one feature of the Wisdom trend that is irrefutable – Labour’s predicted share has pretty consistently declined from a high of 39% in May 2012, to pretty much where it stands now (33%). The Conservatives have flat-lined in the 29-32% range, which they will hope to break out of now that positive economic noises are being heard from many quarters.

http://www.icmresearch.com/media-centre/polls/icm-sunday-telegraph-wisdom-index-january-2014

And of the most recent:

Martin Boon, head of ICM Research, said the result represented the joint narrowest lead for Labour ever recorded in the Wisdom Index.
    “Both the main parties are polling much lower than they would hope for,” he said.
    “This different polling approach provides further evidence that, at last, the Tories are making in-roads into the Labour vote.”
    However, the shift is due to a loss of support for Labour as the Conservatives remain stuck on 31 per cent, he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10806655/Labour-lead-cut-to-one-point-as-Telegraph-opinion-poll-exposes-UKs-North-South-divide.html

One thing I noticed in the Telegraph reporting of this - the description 'Ed Miliband's Labour' - we know 'David Cameron's Conservatives' helps the Conservatives, I wonder if the reverse is true for Labour?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2014
    I'm sure TSE has seen the funny side in it being the Eagles biting his footie team on the bum?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Ladbrokes - Council markets

Croydon Council

LAB Control 1/3
    CON Control 3/1
    NOC 12/1

Hammersmith & Fulham Council
    CON Control 1/2
    LAB Control 2/1
    NOC 10/1

Stockport Council
    NOC 1/6
    LAB Control 6/1
    LD Control 10/1

Other council priced up are:

Barnet
    Merton
    Redbridge
    Trafford

Will Shadsy put up a market for Sutton council please and Kingston?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I wonder if this poll will be brave enough to predict how many MPs Ukip will get ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I wonder if this poll will be brave enough to predict how many MPs Ukip will get ?

If it's the same format as last time, it will be polling the 40 most marginal Conservative seats. We should get to see what chance UKIP have in Thurrock, Waveney and Hastings & Rye, if Lord Ashcroft has the data to look at constituencies individually.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

The marginals would seem to hinder the Conservatives. However, it's worth noting that UKIP are riding high, and that tide may well recede come the General Election.
  • Options

I'm sure TSE has seen the funny side in it being the Eagles biting his footie team on the bum?

In the interest of TSE's sanity please do not mention Liverpool's humiliating performance against Palace last night when they threw away a 0-3 lead and saw their premiership hopes reduced to tatters

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

In the interest of TSE's sanity please do not mention Liverpool's humiliating performance against Palace last night when they threw away a 0-3 lead and saw their premiership hopes reduced to tatters

Stop putting a positive spin on the result it will only make it harder for TSE.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Good morning, everyone.

The marginals would seem to hinder the Conservatives. However, it's worth noting that UKIP are riding high, and that tide may well recede come the General Election.

The function of UKIP is to provide a hostel for voters on their way from deserting Labour to attaching themselves to the Tories. After all, if enough Peebies say it, it must become true...

• Options
    The Tories flatline or rise very slightly. Labour continues its slow but relentless decline. And so we are in crossover territory or thereabouts. What will make or break the GE is how the numbers move in the run up to the day itself. We'll see alot more of MIliband on TV, and Balls too. And Dave. And Clegg. We'll also know what the Labour manifesto contains.

So....my best guess is a Tory lead of not enough for a majority. Hung parliament and the current coalition continues.
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, I didn't say any of that.
  • Options
    Remember that the Tories need to be 6%+ ahead on votes just to stop bleeding seats to LAB. Even after a cross over LAB could secure a majority
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    As a Man U fan I finally have something to be cheerful about this morning. It isn't much and it has been a terrible year but we gather our pleasures where we may.

IIRC the tories outperformed the Universal swing at the last election, presumably doing better in the marginals to do so. I suspect this shows 2 things. First, the tories are more vulnerable where they outperformed and second that these marginals are more volatile than the average.

The result of neither of these terribly surprising conclusions is that where there is a swing against the tories in the national polls they seem to be doing worse in these seats. What that actually tells us about the possible outcome of a GE I would be a lot less sure about. These seats will probably give us a slightly exaggerated result again whichever way the election goes. I do not accept that as a generality the tories have particular problems in these seats.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Good morning, everyone.

The function of UKIP is to provide a hostel for voters on their way from deserting Labour to attaching themselves to the Tories. After all, if enough Peebies say it, it must become true...

I agree @Innocent_Abroad, too much nonsense written about UKIPs demise or shrinkage after May 22nd elections. These are the hopes of the Lab/Lib/Con tribe. They are desperate that these hopes come true. If not, their whole world will collapse: may it be so.
  • Options
    Mr. Smithson, that does assume UKIP sink back to irrelevance. It's quite hard to tell what UKIP's polling will be come the election, and how that'll affect the results.
  • Options
    F1: Pirelli hoping to avoid four stops in Spain:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/156493.html

Worth also noting that the circuit will be hard on tyres, which may hamper Ferrari and Williams (those teams had to make an extra stop in Bahrain compared to the drivers ahead of them).
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and enjoying the latest Antifrank analyses. If I read him correctly there are fewer seats in the round than some would suggest. All quiet on the IndyRef front today so guess my YESNP friends are still hungover from the excitement of the Sunday Herald coming out in favour because both its readers say YES.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

TGOHF said:

If it's the same format as last time, it will be polling the 40 most marginal Conservative seats. We should get to see what chance UKIP have in Thurrock, Waveney and Hastings & Rye, if Lord Ashcroft has the data to look at constituencies individually.
    Funny you should mention Thurrock, cos Shadsy has just shortened his UKIP price there to 7/1 (from 20/1) ! ;)

• Options

Good morning all and enjoying the latest Antifrank analyses. If I read him correctly there are fewer seats in the round than some would suggest. All quiet on the IndyRef front today so guess my YESNP friends are still hungover from the excitement of the Sunday Herald coming out in favour because both its readers say YES.

In fairness Easterross I don't think either of their readers were specifically asked and one of them, who was at dinner with me last night, is no longer a subscriber.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Waveney: PP has UKIP at 33/1

Hastings & Rye: both PP and Shadsy have UKIP at 100/1
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

I don't follow football. To stop me mistakenly mentioning or quoting something that might cause TSE pain, hurt and humiliation, can you make it clearer the sort of things that I should not mention?
  • Options

antifrank said:

TGOHF said:

Funny you should mention Thurrock, cos Shadsy has just shortened his UKIP price there to 7/1 (from 20/1) ! ;)

Has Farage finally committed himself? What else would account for such a large move?

• Options
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

TGOHF said:

Has Farage finally committed himself? What else would account for such a large move?

A PBer putting on a fair few quid probably :)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    JohnO said:

What will be the sample size in each of the marginal seats polled? IIRC last time it was fewer than 600. No disrespect to Lord A and his team but individual polling is much more problematic.

I'll stick with Dr. Robert Waller's general rule: that if national polling conflicts with that for marginals, it's the former that is more likely to be accurate. Wasn't that also the case in 2010?

A national poll has fewer than 5 samples per constituency . Clearly a large sample of marginals with 500 or so in each marginal will have a lower MofE than the national poll .
  • Options

Remember that the Tories need to be 6%+ ahead on votes just to stop bleeding seats to LAB. Even after a cross over LAB could secure a majority

No the Tories just need to have the number of Labour votes +1 in each of 326 constituencies and not lose any to the LibDems to win. That may or may not equate to a lead of 6+% in the polls.
  • Options

I don't follow football. To stop me mistakenly mentioning or quoting something that might cause TSE pain, hurt and humiliation, can you make it clearer the sort of things that I should not mention?
    I'd avoid the phrase "many a slip between cup and lip" for starters. That's been on the banned list for a few days. Now I'd steer clear of "soaring like an eagle" as well.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    If this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10808948/Geert-Wilders-Ukip-will-join-our-far-Right-bloc-in-the-EU.html - turns out to be true, I think it will harm UKIP. It will certainly reinforce the impression that some unsavoury characters are attracted to it.
  • Options

JohnO said:

A national poll has fewer than 5 samples per constituency . Clearly a large sample of marginals with 500 or so in each marginal will have a lower MofE than the national poll .
    Don't wish to be rude but I would rather defer to the views of a noted psephologist and (former) pollster on these matters than your good self.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, saw that story last night. I'd be greatly surprised if it were, given Farage has rebuffed FN quite clearly before.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

If this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10808948/Geert-Wilders-Ukip-will-join-our-far-Right-bloc-in-the-EU.html - turns out to be true, I think it will harm UKIP. It will certainly reinforce the impression that some unsavoury characters are attracted to it.

The usual Phishing trip by the Telegraph hoping to catch some minnows, like you.
  • Options
    Mr. K, a rather ungallant comment. Nothing wrong with commenting on a relevant political story.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970

No the Tories just need to have the number of Labour votes +1 in each of 326 constituencies and not lose any to the LibDems to win. That may or may not equate to a lead of 6+% in the polls.

That is just so hopelessly wrong.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, whilst the current polling is better for Labour, it is worth noting the independence debate *and* UKIP's significant and sustained rise both through new, unknown variables into the mix.

We cannot keep operating on the same basis as before, making predictions based on a country that might be about to split into two staying as one, and ignoring the rise of UKIP.

It'd be like ignoring pre-season testing and backing Vettel for the title (incidentally, there's an off-chance he will win it but I would be significantly surprised).
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Mr. K, a rather ungallant comment. Nothing wrong with commenting on a relevant political story.

Sorry about that Morris, but too many are eager to cast enmity about UKIP without foundation.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited May 2014
    snip -too sarky for my own good
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    antifrank said:

I'd avoid the phrase "many a slip between cup and lip" for starters. That's been on the banned list for a few days. Now I'd steer clear of "soaring like an eagle" as well.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory would be out too then?

I'm sure if we pool our resources we can stop TSE feeling liverish....

On the Sunday Herald endorsement, Prof Tomkins tweeted the respective circulations of the Sunday Herald and Sunday Post, adding the tag "#gamechanger" - I suspect he was being sarcastic....

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    Labour targets including candidates selected:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDRiT1FSRTF2bjVYRThSTnRaNzFXMlE#gid=0

IMO seats that Labour might find more difficult than expected to win are as follows:

Thurrock, Waveney, Brighton Pavilion, Ipswich, Halesowen, Gloucester, Kingswood, Croydon Central, Worcester, Warwick&Leamington, B'ham Yardley, Ealing Central & Acton, Stevenage.

If they fail to win a majority next year it'll probably be because they've missed a fair number of those targets.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, whilst the current polling is better for Labour, it is worth noting the independence debate *and* UKIP's significant and sustained rise both through new, unknown variables into the mix.

We cannot keep operating on the same basis as before, making predictions based on a country that might be about to split into two staying as one, and ignoring the rise of UKIP.

It'd be like ignoring pre-season testing and backing Vettel for the title (incidentally, there's an off-chance he will win it but I would be significantly surprised).

Easteross is just factually incorrect. Even worse than you thinking Eric Bloodaxe was the last King of Yorkshire!!

The Tories have to "win" 326 seats by one vote; not just finish above Labour. It's no good finishing above Labour if they finish below UKIP.

I'll get my coat ...

• Options
    MikeK said:

Good morning, everyone.

I agree @Innocent_Abroad, too much nonsense written about UKIPs demise or shrinkage after May 22nd elections. These are the hopes of the Lab/Lib/Con tribe. They are desperate that these hopes come true. If not, their whole world will collapse: may it be so.
    Surely the error is to assume that Euro success will translate into Westminster success?

Aren't the polls quite clear that voters view the two very differently?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Don't wish to be rude but I would rather defer to the views of a noted psephologist and (former) pollster on these matters than your good self.
    I think you are making up a general rule which my friend Robert did not make . If you go back to May 2009 , the national polls showing Conservatives with a 20% lead over Labour were a no more accurate forecast of the 2010 GE .
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited May 2014

That's assuming incumbency and GOTV to defend the govt doesn't have an effect. With the Lib Drms polling sub 10, UNS would actually give the Tories a majority at less than a 6 lead in some circs too.

Edit - they could bleed 5 to Labour and gain 25 from the Lib Dems for example
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Worth noting that the Conservatives target seats - their 40/48 strategy is different than the list of marginals that everyone else is using. Tory target seats seem to be based on where the constituency demographic will be favourable to them in 2015 rather than what it was like in 2010.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited May 2014

That is just so hopelessly wrong.

No, he is completely correct. The first sentence that is.

It is a racing certainty that a Tory Majority will correlate to a > 6+% lead in the polls though. So the second sentence is misleading at best.

• Options
    This is how Labour did in their targets seats using the 2013 local election data. As you can see they missed some of their top targets including Waveney:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dGRabkF6R2dtNkxqZnRHUHk0cE5fM0E&usp=sheets_web#gid=0
  • Options
    Ahaha - Nice one Southam Observer. Yes the first sentence isn't strictly true either ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    AndyJS said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDRiT1FSRTF2bjVYRThSTnRaNzFXMlE#gid=0

IMO seats that Labour might find more difficult than expected to win are as follows:

Thurrock, Waveney, Brighton Pavilion, Ipswich, Halesowen, Gloucester, Kingswood, Croydon Central, Worcester, Warwick&Leamington, B'ham Yardley, Ealing Central & Acton, Stevenage.

If they fail to win a majority next year it'll probably be because they've missed a fair number of those targets.

Andy, I agree with you. I think they are going to find it especially hard to win the "market town" seats. And I can see Thames Valley seats like Reading and Swindon proving well out of range.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Worth noting that the Conservatives target seats - their 40/48 strategy is different than the list of marginals that everyone else is using. Tory target seats seem to be based on where the constituency demographic will be favourable to them in 2015 rather than what it was like in 2010.

They'd be better off using the standard marginals' list IMO.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @AndyJS

The trick in Ealing Central is to squeeze the Liberal vote until the pips squeak - they have a good shout. Many viscerally anti-Tory Red Liberals in that seat - lots of leftie professionals who fell for the Liberal Winning Here con last time only to see Labour run the Tories closer and the Tory come through the middle. It's a genuine three-way marginal - a rare fish indeed.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, entirely possible to argue the change from the Kingdom of Jorvik to Yorkshire was purely semantic.

I accept your point, but it's still quite cool that York's last king was called Erik/Eric Bloodaxe.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

I think you are making up a general rule which my friend Robert did not make . If you go back to May 2009 , the national polls showing Conservatives with a 20% lead over Labour were a no more accurate forecast of the 2010 GE .
    @MarkSenior - This is a note from Robert to me on the subject which I have posted here before:

"The problem with marginals polls (of which I've taken a few) is not with the sample size. That's often a red herring, as it doesn't matter how many people you talk to if they're not typical of all voters.

Therefore it's the 'sampling frame'. Assuming the poll is not random, and it won't be, the designers have to establish targets to set quotas to match with respondents.
    This is harder if it is not a standard national sample, as they have to find what is typical across 38 marginals, not the well known national figures that are regularly used.

As a result, I would agree that marginals are harder to get accurate polling in.
    (Of course, the sample size in individual marginals will also be very small, so it's useless for single seats within the group).

Overall, if the results of the poll across marginals suggests a different swing from that suggested by the whole weight of national polls, it's probable that it's the marginals poll that is wrong.

So I think you are probably right - though polling has certainly become more sophisticated since I last took one in 1992, so the Ashcroft people may have made a better fist of the sampling than we did in the old days!

By all means use me as an authority, though myself don't think I have much standing as one on polling nowadays ..."
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

This is how Labour did in their targets seats using the 2013 local election data. As you can see they missed some of their top targets including Waveney:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dGRabkF6R2dtNkxqZnRHUHk0cE5fM0E&usp=sheets_web#gid=0

Are the purple seats theoretical kipper gains ?
  • Options
    What we're all ignoring a bit is what might happen to the polls themselves as we see more of the Eds and their policies in the run up to the GE. That's when 99% of the population tune their 'once every 5 years' antenna onto politics. There is a real risk for Labour of polling meltdown when it becomes clear to all and not just politics anoraks that Labour are led by a drooling moron and have an incoherent ruinous mess of a manifesto. Be in no doubt - Labour are in for a serious monstering in a year's time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    BobaFett said:

@AndyJS

The trick in Ealing Central is to squeeze the Liberal vote until the pips squeak - they have a good shout. Many viscerally anti-Tory Red Liberals in that seat - lots of leftie professionals who fell for the Liberal Winning Here con last time only to see Labour run the Tories closer and the Tory come through the middle. It's a genuine three-way marginal - a rare fish indeed.

How many in Ealing are now going to be worried about having to pay the Mansion Tax sometime though? It may be a modest number - but the majority in 2015 may well be a modest number....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Andy, I agree with you. I think they are going to find it especially hard to win the "market town" seats. And I can see Thames Valley seats like Reading and Swindon proving well out of range.
    Of that list, I expect Labour to outperform in Thurrock, Waveney and Ealing Central & Acton and I'd expect them to underperform in Ipswich, Gloucester, Croydon Central and Stevenage. This is a relative assessment (they may take all six or none).

After completing my look at the east and south east tomorrow, I'll turn to the west midlands next.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

antifrank said:

TGOHF said:

I think that oddschecker has messed up actually, as it show UKIP being 20/1 but when you click on the price it is for South Basildon & East Thurrock

Ladbrokes have been 7/1 Thurrock for quite some time

Farage wont stand there, Tim Aker is the UKIP candidate. He is a local lad and also Head of Policy. He is on the Daily Politics quite often now

FWIW I make S Bas & E Thurrock as bet at 20/1
  • Options

Mr. Observer, entirely possible to argue the change from the Kingdom of Jorvik to Yorkshire was purely semantic.

I accept your point, but it's still quite cool that York's last king was called Erik/Eric Bloodaxe.

It is certainly possible to argue it ...

Check out the Michael Wood documentary on YouTube. It's very entertaining.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I'm not sure whether the 6% lead is going to be exactly right. One of the factors lies in the low turnout of Labour voters in safe seats (in other words, the vote count is artificially depressed, not the seat count raised) and faced with a "ConDem" government that might change. That won't help the Conservatives per se, but what it might mean is that the shift in national polls is explicable on this basis and not a change in marginals. However the marginal polling does not indicate that at the moment, if we assume it is accurate. But my point was I would not assume that 6% or close to it was inviable, in principle.
  • Options
    More improved forecasts for the UK economy: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10809265/Rapid-UK-growth-on-course-to-continue.html

The expectation is that the private sector will create approximately 500K additional jobs this year. Really remarkable. If some of this bleeds into the seaside towns antifrank describes so well it may well make a difference.

The government will have an excellent story to tell on the economy at the next election. That might not matter if the Eds can persuade enough people that they are not sharing in the growth but I think the pressure will be on for Labour to have a persuasive story to tell and I have not heard it so far.

We have been through the longest fall in real wages on record. Given that and the strength of UKIP it is surprising that the tories are doing as well as they are. The challenge of putting together an election winning coalition remains daunting however.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Yes they're seats where UKIP got the most votes when you add up the wards that comprise the constituency.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

@AndyJS

How many in Ealing are now going to be worried about having to pay the Mansion Tax sometime though? It may be a modest number - but the majority in 2015 may well be a modest number....
    It's a factor in wealthy London suburban seats certainly, but as you say, I think the numbers of potential Red Liberals etc affected are still pretty low, even here.
  • Options
    Another good Services PMI, with this note on GDP and employment

"“The April numbers point to the economy growing by at least 0.8% again in the second quarter and, with confidence about the future rising again in April, there’s no end in sight for the current super-strong growth spell.

“The survey also brings news that private sector employment rose at a record pace in April, signalling 100,000 jobs being created each month."

http://www.markiteconomics.com/Survey/PressRelease.mvc/b73ab147eb084d98bc3b90513addad13
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thurrock is one of the most unpredictable seats I think, mainly due to the high BNP and UKIP votes last time. The white working class vote is probably moving to the Tories (relatively speaking) but at the same time there's been an explosion in the African population over the last few years, increasing from roughly 1% to 10%.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    Don't worry about me.

I slept like a baby last night.

I woke up every half an hour crying.

I work in Manchester in an office full of either United or City fans.

The City fans are convinced they'll either lose up Villa or West Ham "because we're City, that's what we do"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

Well, fairly differently. The number of UKIP supporters planning to revert in 2015 is IIRC 25% - more than for switchers to other parties, but not overwhelming. The figure should however be taken with caution both ways - if UKIP is seen as storming ahead, it might shrink; if it's seen as a busted flush, it might soar. I doubt if more than half the UKIP vote is going to go to any other party, though - the voters concerned think we are all seriously crap, and the choice is UKIP or abstain.

To offer a professional view on marginal polls vs national polls: it's a common fallacy to think that having a big poll is more important than having a balanced poll. If you poll 200,000 pensioners you'll get a less accurate picture of the national scene than if you poll a 2,000 weighted sample. The reason marginal polls have historically been misleading is that they've usually not weighted for the local population. For instance, Broxtowe has a smallish immigrant population (6%), so a poll there should have 6% or so immigrants, if this is thought important for voting intention, and if it accidentally has 1% or 12% it'll change the figures. That's also why studying subsamples in national polls doesn't work.

That said, my understanding is that the Ashcroft polls do try to weight for constituency populations, don't they? If so, then they're genuinely just as important as Mike says. The factor that we're appearing to see is the absence of first-term incumbency bonus for most Conservative MPs, perhaps because of the general feeling of disillusion with politicians. I was surprised to see them actually doing worse than the national polls, though, and it'll be odd if that's repeated.

• Options
    Patrick said:

I also wonder if FPTP only really works in the more binary world of two dominant parties. It looks like 2015 is going to throw up an absolute stinker of an outcome. I'm guessing it will be close to 35/35/15/15 but Labour having a large majority.

Patrick said:

What we're all ignoring a bit is what might happen to the polls themselves as we see more of the Eds and their policies in the run up to the GE. That's when 99% of the population tune their 'once every 5 years' antenna onto politics. There is a real risk for Labour of polling meltdown when it becomes clear to all and not just politics anoraks that Labour are led by a drooling moron and have an incoherent ruinous mess of a manifesto. Be in no doubt - Labour are in for a serious monstering in a year's time.

Patrick - Well, which one is it ! Have you changed your mind in 3 months ?

As for the Thurrock price shortening my guess is iSam has taken a chunk of 20-1 so Shadsy is probably rebalancing his book there.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Yes they're seats where UKIP got the most votes when you add up the wards that comprise the constituency.
    Shamelessly puffing my own piece, eight out of ten of those notional gains are on the coastline between the Humber and the Solent:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-saxon-shore-east-and-south-east.html
  • Options
    On topic, blimey it is all happening when I'm guest editing
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    This is from the Newark Advertiser website from Sunday. Apparently the meeting to choose the UKIP candidates who will be interviewed for selection was being held last night.

"The Newark branch of UKIP meets tomorrow night to decide who they want to fight the Newark by-election.
    Nominations for candidates close at midnight today. The national executive committee will then select who will go forward to appear before the Newark members.

There have been reports that East Midlands Euro MP Mr Roger Helmer, who defected from the Tories in 2012, was being lined up to fight the by-election.

Newark branch chairman Mr Peter Weston-Davies said today he was yet to be told who was on the list but said he would not be surprised to see Mr Helmer's name.

Mr Helmer was among four prospective MEPs who took part in a hustings at the Magnus School, Newark, last night. Issues raised included immigration, jobs, and if there should be a referendum over whether Britain should stay in or opt out of the European Union."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Patrick said:

I also wonder if FPTP only really works in the more binary world of two dominant parties. It looks like 2015 is going to throw up an absolute stinker of an outcome. I'm guessing it will be close to 35/35/15/15 but Labour having a large majority.

Patrick said:

Patrick - Well, which one is it ! Have you changed your mind in 3 months ?

As for the Thurrock price shortening my guess is iSam has taken a chunk of 20-1 so Shadsy is probably rebalancing his book there.
    LOL - post of the year? :)
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

@MarkSenior - This is a note from Robert to me on the subject which I have posted here before:

"The problem with marginals polls (of which I've taken a few) is not with the sample size. That's often a red herring, as it doesn't matter how many people you talk to if they're not typical of all voters.

Therefore it's the 'sampling frame'. Assuming the poll is not random, and it won't be, the designers have to establish targets to set quotas to match with respondents.
    This is harder if it is not a standard national sample, as they have to find what is typical across 38 marginals, not the well known national figures that are regularly used.

As a result, I would agree that marginals are harder to get accurate polling in.
    (Of course, the sample size in individual marginals will also be very small, so it's useless for single seats within the group).

Overall, if the results of the poll across marginals suggests a different swing from that suggested by the whole weight of national polls, it's probable that it's the marginals poll that is wrong.

So I think you are probably right - though polling has certainly become more sophisticated since I last took one in 1992, so the Ashcroft people may have made a better fist of the sampling than we did in the old days!

By all means use me as an authority, though myself don't think I have much standing as one on polling nowadays ..."
    I do not disagree with Robert's comments . It was yourself that brought 2010 into the picture and stated , that the national polls were more accurate in forecasting that result than marginals polls . . I have simply shown that back in May 2009 ( one year away from the next GE as now ) the national polls were nowhere near an accurate forecast of what would happen a year later . .
  • Options

This is from the Newark Advertiser website from Sunday. Apparently the meeting to choose the UKIP candidates who will be interviewed for selection was being held last night.

"The Newark branch of UKIP meets tomorrow night to decide who they want to fight the Newark by-election.
    Nominations for candidates close at midnight today. The national executive committee will then select who will go forward to appear before the Newark members.

There have been reports that East Midlands Euro MP Mr Roger Helmer, who defected from the Tories in 2012, was being lined up to fight the by-election.

Newark branch chairman Mr Peter Weston-Davies said today he was yet to be told who was on the list but said he would not be surprised to see Mr Helmer's name.

Mr Helmer was among four prospective MEPs who took part in a hustings at the Magnus School, Newark, last night. Issues raised included immigration, jobs, and if there should be a referendum over whether Britain should stay in or opt out of the European Union."

I may be making a rash assumption, but I'm guessing the general mood on the last question was in favour of such a referendum?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I used to think Labour were favourites in Ealing Central & Acton, but over on UKPR a lot of people who seem to know what they're talking about have said they think Tory support will be unusually solid, and that also the LD vote is more likely to split relatively evenly between Con and Lab in contrast to most other areas in London where the vast majority is likely to go to Lab.

Former Blue Peter presenter Konnie Huq's sister Rupa is standing for Labour.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

MikeK said:

Good morning, everyone.

Surely the error is to assume that Euro success will translate into Westminster success?

The polls at the moment show UKIP on an average of 14%/16% for the GE and around30±% for the EU. If UKIP does well on May 22nd, look to the council seats won or lost on the same day. These results, rather than the EU ones, will show, in my estimation, whether UKIP is on track for GE success.

In the end two HOPES are batting against each other. ;)
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, are you guest-editing in September, perchance?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, are you guest-editing in September, perchance?

The past two years I have edited end of August and start of September.
  • Options
    If Helmer is selected in Newark it would mean the UKIP candidate would be about 2.5 times older than the Tory. In an older-than-average constituency like Newark that could prove to be an important factor.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Raheem Kassam ‏@RaheemJKassam May 4
    @WikiGuido @AlexandralSwann Helmer is UKIP HQ’s candidate of choice. Grassroots prefer Bashir. Some want Lizzy Vaid to run.

Given Farage's comments on Sunday about fighting back over claims UKIP were a racist party, I think its odds on that Bashir or Vaid get the nod

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/01/ukip-should-choose-amjad-bashir
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I may be making a rash assumption, but I'm guessing the general mood on the last question was in favour of such a referendum?
    I did think that last sentence was rather amusing. I am not sure whether it reflects how poor the local UKIP party organisation is or how poor the Newark advertiser reporting is. I am not overly impressed by either.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

Given Farage's comments on Sunday about fighting back over claims UKIP were a racist party, I think its odds on that Bashir or Vaid get the nod

Good to see UKIP indulging in tokenistic nonsense. Soon you will be emulating PR man Cameron with his 'A-list'....

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Interesting that the Tories have put up a full slate of candidates in Newham, but failed to do so in Islington.

In 4 of the 8 wards comprising the Islington North constituency they've failed to put up any candidates. (Each ward elects 3 members). The wards in question are Finsbury Park, Hillrise, St George's, Tollington. They've also failed to put any up in Holloway which is in Islington South.
  • Options
    Btw - If another_richard pops on, can you alert him to this post, he was interested on my Mum's weekend visit back to Page Hall Road.

So we went back, my mother was back to saying how disgusting the Roma are, begging and being an annoyance and doing bad things in the street.

When we got back into the car, I said, she was being far too harsh on the Roma, and they were a persecuted race, that Hitler had tried to wipe them out.

Her response "I can understand why"*

*Not her exact words, this conversation was in Urdu.
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

I do not disagree with Robert's comments . It was yourself that brought 2010 into the picture and stated , that the national polls were more accurate in forecasting that result than marginals polls . . I have simply shown that back in May 2009 ( one year away from the next GE as now ) the national polls were nowhere near an accurate forecast of what would happen a year later . .
    My comments regarding 2010 was comparing the various polls of marginals in the campaign with the national polls: the latter proved to be more accurate.

If you're arguing that ANY polling, marginal or national, with a year still to run before the election has very limited value then I would entirely agree with you.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, just wondering if you'll be in the hot seat for the referendum.

Incidentally, do we know when Catalan will be voting? If it gets that far...

On that note, I just checked Google News for word on Venice, but it doesn't seem to have (independence-wise) made the headlines since April.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    JonathanD said:

isam said:

Good to see UKIP indulging in tokenistic nonsense. Soon you will be emulating PR man Cameron with his 'A-list'....

Yeah I see what you are saying.. kind of thought it myself, but if the media and other parties constantly call us racist maybe its not a bad idea to stamp on the fire.

Bashir was a candidate anyway, and is on tv/PEBs quite a lot, so its not as though he has been plucked from obscurity (relatively speaking)

I though Vaid was Farages PA, but she is darned pretty, so we'll let her off!

You could say that the ban on ex BNP members was not exactly libertarian, but when nasty insults are thrown maybe you have to be seen to do something that refutes them
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Actually looking around the Newark Advertiser site a bit more it is clear this is a case of poor reporting. The hustings was not just UKIP but representatives of a number of parties standing in the Euro elections. It was not a meeting arranged by UKIP.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Interesting that the Tories have put up a full slate of candidates in Newham, but failed to do so in Islington.

In 4 of the 8 wards comprising the Islington North constituency they've failed to put up any candidates. (Each ward elects 3 members). The wards in question are Finsbury Park, Hillrise, St George's, Tollington. They've also failed to put any up in Holloway which is in Islington South.

Not really worth it in Islington. So blood is the seat that people who own £3m houses outright still vote Labour and read the Guardian.
  • Options
    MaxUMaxU Posts: 87

BobaFett said:

@AndyJS

How many of those who are at risk of paying the Mansion Tax are within the Tory Core Vote anyway? I would think rather a lot- therefore they won't be the voters in play.

Incidentally does anyone know what the current proposed threshold of the Mansion Tax is likely to be? I have read £2m as a suggestion but your comments about Ealing Central seems to suggest £1m (there really aren't very many houses in that are or conceivably will be worth £2m plus, even in the current market conditions). Of course if the tax is to actually raise any significant revenue, rather than just be a device to punish the very rich, the threshold needs to be £1m or perhaps even less.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    After my shameful LD voting episode in 2010, I would love it if we win Ealing Central & Acton next year. Surely we can hoover up enough of the yellow vote to overhaul the Tories.
  • Options
    @ JohnO
    I suggest you read the ukpollingreport comments on the PoliticsHome marginal poll in October 2009 . It forecast a Conservative overall majority of around 70 not very accurate but rather less than the national polls of the time and a better Lib Dem performance in 2010 than the national polls were forecasting at the time .
    Neither the national nor the marginals polls were particularly accurate at forecasting the GE result 6 months out but the marginals poll was rather less inaccurate .
  • Options

antifrank said:

I did think that last sentence was rather amusing. I am not sure whether it reflects how poor the local UKIP party organisation is or how poor the Newark advertiser reporting is. I am not overly impressed by either.
    It's quite possible that the UKIP organisation in Newark will not be first rate; indeed it may only be less than a year since it became a definite branch in it's own right. This is an organisational weakness that UKIP must attend to before the 2015 GE.

The massive growth of UKIP has caught that organisation on the hop as well as all the political elite.

• Options

Don't worry about me.

I slept like a baby last night.

I woke up every half an hour crying.

I work in Manchester in an office full of either United or City fans.

The City fans are convinced they'll either lose up Villa or West Ham "because we're City, that's what we do"

The worst thing about this title race is seeing Utd fans shamelessly sucking up to City. Ugh.
This discussion has been closed.