Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Concern about ballot form confusion could be behind falling

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    Financier said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Malcolm G..can you tone down the offensive insults..totally needless....makes the site a very unwelcome place

Nobody forcing you to stay, if you cannot post any sensible take a hike.
    You have posted nothing but personal abuse in all of your 3,000 odd posts .
    You are obviously not right if you read all of them and came up with that horse manure.
    Enlighten us.

Post one of you engaging with an argument about the merits of Scottish independence from this thread.

Regretfully malcolmg has neither the intelligence nor a sufficient command of the English language to engage in meaningful debate - that is why he has to resort to a stream of personal insults and swearing at PBers.

That takes the biscuit, savaged by a dead sheep now.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    malcolmg said:

Malcol G...your offensive and repetive insults to anyone who even slightly disagrees with you suggests you are not entirely sober...

Sorry to disappoint you Sherlock. I do not appreciate halfwits like you trying to imply that I am not sober. If you have nothing relevant to add then crawl back under your rock and give us peace.
    malcolmg - you are making it evident that you are either incapable or unwilling to cease the stream of insults directed at all who do not agree with every minute portion of your thoughts.

In so doing, you are insulting OGH by whose courtesy you are allowed to post on this site. He deserves an unambiguous apology from you.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Steven Pinker ‏@sapinker 41s
    Oy vey - Harvard's Kennedy School students want to be treated like kindergarteners & submit to insulting PC rituals | http://goo.gl/CyJWX2
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Sounds like they're targetting property owners in Sussex, you're in the BNP target demographic Richard ;-)

LOL, but round these parts it's sustainable housing which people object to!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    Financier said:

malcolmg said:

Malcol G...your offensive and repetive insults to anyone who even slightly disagrees with you suggests you are not entirely sober...

Sorry to disappoint you Sherlock. I do not appreciate halfwits like you trying to imply that I am not sober. If you have nothing relevant to add then crawl back under your rock and give us peace.
    malcolmg - you are making it evident that you are either incapable or unwilling to cease the stream of insults directed at all who do not agree with every minute portion of your thoughts.

In so doing, you are insulting OGH by whose courtesy you are allowed to post on this site. He deserves an unambiguous apology from you.
    Go start your own blog , you righteous pillock. If you had the same brain again you would be dangerous.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876

Still, the Electoral Commission should not have allowed such a strapline, and UKIP should have noticed it and objected before it was approved.

I'm not sure how 'UK Independence Now' could be objected to - you can hardly object to the country name, or part of the name of the party.......

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MrJones said:

The list follows a pattern of the party name followed by a strap line

The 'strap line' is a description agreed by the Electoral Commission - most parties do not use it - UKIP could have, had they wanted to.

That's not relevant to my point.

The other party's strap line is almost the same name as Ukip. If there's an effect it will be from people marking their cross first and noticing after.

So the actual party name is designed to come first and the strap line is almost the same as the name of another party higher up the list.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    isam said:

Oy vey - Harvard's Kennedy School students want to be treated like kindergarteners & submit to insulting PC rituals | http://goo.gl/CyJWX2

ROFL. The irony of wanting to fight privilege while studying at Harvard doesn't appear to have occurred to them.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2014
    Revealed: How parts of Britain are now poorer than POLAND with families in Wales and Cornwall among Europe's worst off

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617938/Revealed-How-parts-Britain-poorer-POLAND-families-Wales-Cornwall-Europes-worst-off.html

(NB: Source is Daily Mail so usual caveats apply.)

Further proof of the south east and London being showered with goodies that have been stolen from the rest of the UK. And then people wonder why there's such a fury and resentment towards the south east, most vividly on display in Scotland but fast bubbling away under the surface in northern England too.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Still, the Electoral Commission should not have allowed such a strapline, and UKIP should have noticed it and objected before it was approved.

I'm not sure how 'UK Independence Now' could be objected to - you can hardly object to the country name, or part of the name of the party.......

Just on the basis of possible confusion. They are campaigning as I understand it for the UK to leave the EU immediately, but they could have made that pitch without the risk of confusion by changing the strapline to something like 'Independence for the UK now'.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Just on the basis of possible confusion. They are campaigning as I understand it for the UK to leave the EU immediately, but they could have made that pitch without the risk of confusion by changing the strapline to something like 'Independence for the UK now'.

Now, now, Richard.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,290
    As this election is being fought under PR unlike the 1994 Euro elections and the 'Literal Democrats' fought under FPTP, I doubt this will make much difference. Indeed, it is possible 'Independence for the UK now' may win won or two seats which would have otherwise gone to UKIP, but the overall narrative of a victory for the anti-EU parties would be unchanged
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The news that makes UKIPs case regarding Britain's relationship with Europe and the EU:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27284489

No UK trade benefit from EU membership - Civitas report
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Maybe but I think they were just oversold.

I suspect that's the case - and it would do them no long-term harm if expectations were damped down somewhat before the day.

Apropos Fitalass comment on the previous thread about division within Scotland - I'd always assumed that the rancour and vituperation we see on here was a function of i) the sites focus on, and interest in, politics and ii) the opinions being offered from across the Union, not just from within Scotland.

I was therefore disheartened to see almost exactly the same types of post on a random page I stumbled upon in my former local paper - debating whether Yes Scotland should distribute leaflets on the Farmer's market day in Cupar:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/yes-scotland-campaigners-accused-of-spoiling-cupar-farmers-market-with-in-your-face-presence-1.345915
    The Better Together mob do not like democracy, since they have no organisation the ytry their best to get the YES activists banned from wherever they can. They lost in Cupar despite the council trying to help them as they were illegally moved from where they were.
    " “What is normally a good vibe and community activity in the town was spoilt — they took trade away from the market stalls, and donations away from Cupar in Bloom."

Can't your activists leave the people in peace, just for one afternoon? Bores.
    F**k off you cretin
    A witty and scintillating bit of repartee.
    I am sure that malcolmg only gets away with his constant abuse of other posters in contravention of board policy because he is in fact an alter ego of OGH
    At last you are admitting that Lib Dems are two faced... ;-)
  • Options
    Question is, regardless of how big a deal it potentially is, would it look dodgy enough to the average person to be good propaganda.
  • Options
    One of the greats returns!

And we all thought you were as lost at sea.

Thank You ! It's lovely to see so many familar faces !

@Yellow_Submarine: Welcome back!

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Further proof of the south east and London being showered with goodies that have been stolen from the rest of the UK.

I don't know about the North or Scotland, but I do understand that England would be even better off if it did not have to write a 15 billion quid cheque to Wales every year.

Without that cheque Wales' public services and its economy (more than 60% state) would essentially cease to exist.

The notion that London is somehow creaming cash from booming labour areas in Wales and the north is one of the more ludicrous ones I've heard on PB down the years.

• Options
    It's not too far fetched to assume that the Electoral Commission probably turned a blind eye to AFIE being first on the list, in the hope that it would do damage to UKIP. That being said UKIP's executive were slow to notice what was happening and reacted too late.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

On topic: Very hard to judge how much potential confusion there will be. The fact that the ballot paper includes party logos should help reduce the confusion; overall, I wouldn't expect the effect to be very significant. Still, the Electoral Commission should not have allowed such a strapline, and UKIP should have noticed it and objected before it was approved.

Also, I was interested by the BNP strapline: "Fighting Unsustainable Housing Because We Care". Is this a new approach by the BNP?

"Unsustainable Housing" doesn't really work grammatically, though, does it? My guess is that it was originally "Immigration" and then they switched it at the last minute...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,261
    MikeK said:

The news that makes UKIPs case regarding Britain's relationship with Europe and the EU:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27284489

No UK trade benefit from EU membership - Civitas report

... Which is counteracted by the CBI's 'Our Global Future' report.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/campaigns/our-global-future/

Choose your position, and pick your report.

Personally I think the trade argument is overplayed, as it is in the Scottish independence debate. Handled well and with aplomb, the UK outside the EU could do very well wrt trade. Handled badly, it could cause severe problems.

It partly depends on how independence is obtained, and especially how many bridges are burnt in the process. This is why Johnny Foreigner rhetoric can be counter-productive.

The intriguing scenario for me is one where Scotland is in the EU, and the UK is outside. Would Scotland attract more than its share of EU trade, or would they need to join the dreaded Euro for that to be a major factor?
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    MikeK said:

It's not too far fetched to assume that the Electoral Commission probably turned a blind eye to AFIE being first on the list, in the hope that it would do damage to UKIP. That being said UKIP's executive were slow to notice what was happening and reacted too late.

Yes it is too far fetched.
    I don't often post here,but the malcolmg stuff definitely does the site no favours.
    I await a foul mouthed response.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''fighting Unsustainable housing''

Is that why they dislike people in tents and caravans so much?
  • Options
    OGH: Concern about ballot form confusion could be behind falling off of Ukip in most EP seats Betfair markets

It could just as likely be that UKIP is starting to lose support, especially after all the highly negative media reporting of late, coupled with Farage's decision not to stand in the Newark by-election which judging from the comments I have heard, has been received very negatively.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @jayfdee
    "I await a foul mouthed response."

Chicken beaks!
  • Options
    Steven Pinker ‏@sapinker 16m
    Contrary to widespread belief, few wars are fought for resources or other interests - most for standing or revenge http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521170451/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_Gh9ztb0ZTR0GTCVR
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Smarmeron said:

@jayfdee

Chicken beaks!

Like. But I am awaiting the master of wit and repartee.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Maybe but I think they were just oversold.

I suspect that's the case - and it would do them no long-term harm if expectations were damped down somewhat before the day.

Apropos Fitalass comment on the previous thread about division within Scotland - I'd always assumed that the rancour and vituperation we see on here was a function of i) the sites focus on, and interest in, politics and ii) the opinions being offered from across the Union, not just from within Scotland.

I was therefore disheartened to see almost exactly the same types of post on a random page I stumbled upon in my former local paper - debating whether Yes Scotland should distribute leaflets on the Farmer's market day in Cupar:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/yes-scotland-campaigners-accused-of-spoiling-cupar-farmers-market-with-in-your-face-presence-1.345915
    The Better Together mob do not like democracy, since they have no organisation the ytry their best to get the YES activists banned from wherever they can. They lost in Cupar despite the council trying to help them as they were illegally moved from where they were.
    " “What is normally a good vibe and community activity in the town was spoilt — they took trade away from the market stalls, and donations away from Cupar in Bloom."

Can't your activists leave the people in peace, just for one afternoon? Bores.
    F**k off you cretin
    A witty and scintillating bit of repartee.
    But it is ...

... from Malcolm.

Always makes me laugh!

• Options
    Interesting that Cameron willing to debate with Farage, but only with the Greens' Natalie Bennett. "Under the ‘2-3-5’ proposal drawn up by his aides, Cameron would hold one head-to-head debate with the Labour leader, Ed Miliband – as the other potential prime minister – a second, which would also include the Liberal Democrat leader, Nick Clegg, and a third with Farage and the Green party leader, Natalie Bennett.”
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1407150.ece
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    isam said:

Good for Steven Pinker. "Check your privilege" seems to be an obsession among young, rich, American Lefties, who are keen to keep their privileges.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    On Newark, isn't Helmer almost as much of a carpetbagger as Farage? He was born in London, educated in Southampton, and worked in Newcastle and Leicester as well as overseas. Apart from being an MEP for the East Midlands region he is hardly a Newark Local. Jenrick should remain favourite, and he was brought up in the Midlands
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    @Y0kel‌ AND NO ONE ELSE DEAR GOD.

OK I get it. People don't want to forgive and forget, they want those who committed atrocities (including HMF) to be called to account sod Truth & Reconciliation they want their teeth and eyes retribution-wise although they might be prepared to accept a retribution-lite given the particular circumstances.

To sweep it under the carpet is not required or wanted.

Plus, the republicans have been throwing their weight around basking in the glory of a "golden age" which no longer obtains.

And we here in Surrey the mainland are in thrall to ex-republicans in particular and fall over ourselves in trying to accommodate them despite their illegitimacy in NI.

OK. It is a coherent analysis.

But.

What is to be done?

Is there a party, could there be a party which promises to do all that? Are the various vested interests in a position to allow it first, and secondly, where would it stop? To clean the Augean stables is a large pill to swallow for any legislature, here or there.

My point about Gerry Adams is that why him, why him alone and why now? Because of Boston/the McConvilles? Yes I get that but surely, while satisfying some, it will inflame others. It is a curiously half-hearted attempt, not even half, at some redress.

So given that we are in a supremely imperfect world in NI and that it seems the desired solution (which I will accept the majority want if you say it is so) is unobtainable, then I think we have the least worst solution at present, albeit the PSNI didn't read the script.

You say are we frit of bombs on the mainland. Does that mean that to get to your desired position you would tolerate the resumption of violence (of which as you are aware, the spectaculars were only the tip of the iceberg)?
  • Options
    isam said:

Contrary to widespread belief, few wars are fought for resources or other interests - most for standing or revenge http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521170451/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_Gh9ztb0ZTR0GTCVR

Thucidydes said all that needed to be said about war. Wars between States are fought for reasons of honour, interest, or fear.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Smarmeron said:

@jayfdee

Chicken beaks!

Malcolmg seems the sort of man who'd approach you aggressively, in a Glasgow Pub, because you were looking at him.

• Options
    isam said:

Without meaning to diss the excellent Mr Lebow, I think that assertion's incorrect (if it is a direct quote from his book). Wars are rarely fought for one reason, but rather a combination of factors and desires.

Take the Japanese before the Second World War. They were fighting in China for years before Pearl Harbour, but how much of that was because of wanting increased standing in the world, or because they desired the oft-claimed resources?

Likewise, America. Their entry in the war could obviously be seen as a revenge for Pearl Harbour, but how much of it was down to loss of standing in the world if they did not fight back, or a realisation that a world dominated by the Axis would not be good?

Are there almost always multiple causes for war, and is simplifying the reasons for war down to soundbites (thanks, Mr Blair) dangerous?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

OK I get it. People don't want to forgive and forget, they want those who committed atrocities (including HMF) to be called to account sod Truth & Reconciliation they want their teeth and eyes retribution-wise although they might be prepared to accept a retribution-lite given the particular circumstances.

Plus, the republicans have been throwing their weight around basking in the glory of a "golden age" which no longer obtains.

And we here in Surrey the mainland are in thrall to ex-republicans in particular and fall over ourselves in trying to accommodate them despite their illegitimacy in NI.

But.

What is to be done?

Is there a party, could there be a party which promises to do all that? Are the various vested interests in a position to allow it first, and secondly, where would it stop? To clean the Augean stables is a large pill to swallow for any legislature, here or there.

My point about Gerry Adams is that why him, why him alone and why now? Because of Boston/the McConvilles? Yes I get that but surely, while satisfying some, it will inflame others. It is a curiously half-hearted attempt, not even half, at some redress.

So given that we are in a supremely imperfect world in NI and that it seems the desired solution (which I will accept the majority want if you say it is so) is unobtainable, then I think we have the least worst solution at present, albeit the PSNI didn't read the script.

You say are we frit of bombs on the mainland. Does that mean that to get to your desired position you would tolerate the resumption of violence (of which as you are aware, the spectaculars were only the tip of the iceberg)?

Why not take a nice break in Belfast ?

• Options
    meanwhile...

...received a UKIP leaflet through the door today.

Must say it is distasteful. Immigration this, foreigners taking our jobs that.

I am a fan of UKIP in principle, and have sympathy for those who genuinely want out of the EU and to have a sensible immigration debate, only to be patronised by the so-called intelligentsia.

But the leaflet is ugly and Farage's gob on the back of it associates him with this ugliness. It harks back to the worst days of the NF and BNP and as such will alienate many people; those it attracts well, let's just say that they and I would not be comfortable conversational partners.

If I were UKIP I would pretty quickly include a few things about jobs, health, defence, and tone down the anti-foreigner, anti-immigrant rhetoric or the whole thing could backfire. Go the NOTA route fine, sweep up votes there, but looking at this thing sympathy evaporates quickly.
  • Options

isam said:

Without meaning to diss the excellent Mr Lebow, I think that assertion's incorrect (if it is a direct quote from his book). Wars are rarely fought for one reason, but rather a combination of factors and desires.

Take the Japanese before the Second World War. They were fighting in China for years before Pearl Harbour, but how much of that was because of wanting increased standing in the world, or because they desired the oft-claimed resources?

Likewise, America. Their entry in the war could obviously be seen as a revenge for Pearl Harbour, but how much of it was down to loss of standing in the world if they did not fight back, or a realisation that a world dominated by the Axis would not be good?

Are there almost always multiple causes for war, and is simplifying the reasons for war down to soundbites (thanks, Mr Blair) dangerous?
    The Japanese were terrified of US potential. They wanted to strike so hard that the US could never move against them till they'd conquered the Far East.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

meanwhile...

I am a fan of UKIP in principle, and have sympathy for those who genuinely want out of the EU and to have a sensible immigration debate, only to be patronised by the so-called intelligentsia.

But the leaflet is ugly and Farage's gob on the back of it associates him with this ugliness. It harks back to the worst days of the NF and BNP and as such will alienate many people; those it attracts well, let's just say that they and I would not be comfortable conversational partners.

If I were UKIP I would pretty quickly include a few things about jobs, health, defence, and tone down the anti-foreigner, anti-immigrant rhetoric or the whole thing could backfire. Go the NOTA route fine, sweep up votes there, but looking at this thing sympathy evaporates quickly.

The revolution is rarely civilised.

• Options

TOPPING said:

But.

What is to be done?

Prefer your neck of the woods tbh.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

MikeK said:

I don't often post here,but the malcolmg stuff definitely does the site no favours.

You wait in vain, at least from me. What I have to do with malcolmg is mystifying.

I merely point out that the Electoral Commission members are, in the main, made up of people that were active in the Lab/Lib/Con parties, and a wink and a nod to Mike Nattrass is not at all far fetched.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

It's one word away from the name of another party. A party which is the only major one to use "UK" or "UK Independence" in their title. I think they have a legitimate grievance.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

But.

What is to be done?

How do you know if you've never been there ?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

But.

What is to be done?

How do you know if you've never been there ?
    If you like it I'm sure I would.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

jayfdee said:

MikeK said:

You wait in vain, at least from me. What I have to do with malcolmg is mystifying.

I merely point out that the Electoral Commission members are, in the main, made up of people that were active in the Lab/Lib/Con parties, and a wink and a nod to Mike Nattrass is not at all far fetched.
    Yet again I feel the need to post the following, which you might find useful:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Aluminum-Foil-Hat/
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,343
    TOPPING said:

I wonder if UKIP will rue the day that they went hard with the xenophobic stuff. They were doing fine as it was as the party of the anti-EU intellectual case. Such is their zeal to mop up all things vaguely un-Cameron that all sorts of darkness is now getting thrown in the mix. I was scornful at first of the far-Left's diagnostic, but to my horror they might be right. UKIP are starting to look a little strange.
  • Options
    Having said that, putting on my tinfoil hat:

http://www.channelstv.com/2014/03/20/boko-haram-turkish-airlines-denies-carrying-weapons-to-nigeria/

True or false, it's all part of the religious games being played in that poor part of the world.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sean_F said:

jayfdee said:

Smarmeron said:

@jayfdee

Chicken beaks!

Malcolmg seems the sort of man who'd approach you aggressively, in a Glasgow Pub, because you were looking at him.

Indeed, Mr. F. When he gets into one of these moods, which, alas, seem to happening more frequently, I find it better to read his posts with a Glaswegian accent. See you, Jimmy and all that.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

meanwhile...

On topic

At least they have put instructions on what to look for on the ballot paper!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

meanwhile...

The revolution is rarely civilised.

Bliss was it to be alive, but to be old was very heaven.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

jayfdee said:

MikeK said:

Would it look plausibly dodgy to the average person? I'd guess yes.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014
    Sean_F said:

Good for Steven Pinker. "Check your privilege" seems to be an obsession among young, rich, American Lefties, who are keen to keep their privileges.

"Check your privilege" is a reincarnation of the old Marxist doctrine of the "sociology of knowledge". That held, subject to one important exception, that everyone's ideas were merely a rationalisation for their "objective" class interests. Marxist philosophers were, of course, exempt from this doctrine. Likewise, the doctrine of "check your privilege" holds, with one important exception, that everyone's ideas are merely a rationalisation for their racial, sexual, and/or class interests. The exception, unsurprisingly, is post-modernist philosophers and practitioners of identity politics.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I wonder if UKIP will rue the day that they went hard with the xenophobic stuff. They were doing fine as it was as the party of the anti-EU intellectual case. Such is their zeal to mop up all things vaguely un-Cameron that all sorts of darkness is now getting thrown in the mix. I was scornful at first of the far-Left's diagnostic, but to my horror they might be right. UKIP are starting to look a little strange.
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/nov/26/gangs-sexual-violence-warzones

"Sexual violence in parts of UK 'as bad as in warzones'"

1) Do you think something should be done about this?

2) Do you think anything can be done about this while the political class pretend the problem doesn't exist?

3) Do you think the number of people who know about this and know the political class are covering it up is increasing or decreasing?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

When the assertion is based on more than hearsay, perhaps.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,343
    MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

2) Do you think anything can be done about this while the political class pretend the problem doesn't exist?

3) Do you think the number of people who know about this and know the political class are covering it up is increasing or decreasing?
    And what is UKIP's solution?
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    'The odds are on gamblers opting for an independent Scotland'
    - RISK-TAKERS and gamblers are more likely to vote Yes in the independence referendum, a major academic study has found.

... Social researcher Rachel Ormston found that in 19 opinion polls conducted between the start of the year and the middle of last month, women were on average 13 percentage points less likely than men to vote Yes.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/the-odds-are-on-gamblers-opting-for-an-independent-scotland.24134012
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Mrs J just found what looks suspiciously like a Giant Asian Hornet on the floor of her company's reception area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet
  • Options

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

Shaking up the political class.

That is nothing in itself of course but it seems like the only available option at the mo.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

Well, as they're part of the political class who are (apparently) covering it up, I'm surprised you want to vote for UKIP.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

It's not just the Natrass splinter/Literal Democrat move. The most recent polling has been YouGov which has lower UKIP shares than some pollsters. Also Labour has it's hard hitting 'Pay to see your GP' leaflet going out. Also low liquidity.

My view is this will cost UKIP some votes. It's as much the distance between Natrass and UKIP on the ballot paper. The Alpha and Omega. Also if they really are turning out long term non voters how many have encountered a PR ballot paper ?

But that many ?UKIP is now a recognisable enough brand for Travel Lodge to sucessfully skit.

Now there is a blast from the past!! What year was it that you won the PB Poster of the Year? 2007?

Anyhoo, very pleased to see you back in town.
  • Options

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

He won't be able to give you a good solution, because he, or UKIP, doesn't have one.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

TOPPING said:

Mr. Dawning

UKIP are most definitely starting to look a little strange. Every day brings new fruitcake recipes and fresh loonery.

Take one Derek Wagstaff for example. UKIP's candidate for the Stoke Ward of Plymouth City Council.

Not content with being a member of the The English Volunteer Force and Britain First, splinter groups of the EDL and BNP respectively, he is also alleged to be "a member of The Anti Islamic World Wide Movement, Parents against Islamic Studies and Indoctrination in our British Schools and Islam Exposed (the truth about Islam) Facebook pages".

Now most of us will have heard all this before and may consider such affiliations unremarkable for a kipper candidate.

So to the real revelation about potential Cllr. Wagstaff. He has recently posted an article by a conspiracy theorist linking the Prince of Wales to allegations of paedophilia adding the comment: “Unbelievable what our future king has been up to.”

The bizarre, defamatory essay refers to Charles’s friendship with Jimmy Savile, the disgraced DJ, and the prince’s “potential for sharing a penchant for unnatural relationships with children”.

Full details available from this source: http://bit.ly/1okgBt9

Now I did warn Sean Fear that it wouldn't be long before the stories about UKIP started to involve the Royal Family, but I wasn't expecting it to happen before my predicted Lab-Con crossover in the polls.

I await MikeK's comments with foreboding.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,049
    HYUFD said:

On Newark, isn't Helmer almost as much of a carpetbagger as Farage? He was born in London, educated in Southampton, and worked in Newcastle and Leicester as well as overseas. Apart from being an MEP for the East Midlands region he is hardly a Newark Local. Jenrick should remain favourite, and he was brought up in the Midlands

Nope Jenrick is no less of a carpetbagger than Helmer. He has popped up in various seats around the country and simply because he comes from 'the Midlands' doesn't make him a local.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    TOPPING said:

meanwhile...

Topping, every post I have seen you make on here on the subject has been vehemently opposed to UKIP. I am hardly surprised you have not a good word to say about their leaflet.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Mrs J just found what looks suspiciously like a Giant Asian Hornet on the floor of her company's reception area.

That's worrying. I was reading about them a few months ago and they seem particularly nasty.
    Might be worth checking if they are notifiable.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

No they are not. Another one who has never been a fan. They are going no harder on the controlled immigration stuff than they have ever done. The only thing that has changed is that the other parties have started to get rattled at how successful they have been
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    If every immigrant left the UK,what would happen? Vice asked an expert.Vice are another young,vibrant bunch,asking the awkward questions young people do.
    http://www.vice.com/read/we-asked-an-expert-what-would-happen-if-every-immigrant-left-the-uk
  • Options

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

He won't be able to give you a good solution, because he, or UKIP, doesn't have one.
    And why should he given that, as far as I know, he is not a UKIP member. I am not even sure he is a supporter although I do believe he shares some of their aims.
  • Options

If every immigrant left the UK,what would happen? Vice asked an expert.Vice are another young,vibrant bunch,asking the awkward questions young people do.
    http://www.vice.com/read/we-asked-an-expert-what-would-happen-if-every-immigrant-left-the-uk

No one is proposing sending immigrants back or stopping immigration though?!
  • Options

Off-topic:

That's worrying. I was reading about them a few months ago and they seem particularly nasty.
    Might be worth checking if they are notifiable.
    According to this, it isn't, at least in regards to honey bees:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/221153/bee-health-consult-exoticpestpathogensprofile-20130110.pdf

She came back from having set off a simulation (*) to say there was a massive ill-looking bee on the floor. It intrigued her enough to go on-line to search the moment she arrived home, and she said it was 'orangey'. She may have misidentified it, but she seems fairly certain.

(*) Something to test circuit designs; they can take days to run, therefore requiring people to go in at odd times of the day to redesign and kick off new ones. Strangely, they took about the same time (hours to days) when I first had contact with that part of the industry seventeen years ago. Moore's Law may have made computer chips faster, but the chips themselves have become more complex, meaning that design become harder and simulations more time-consuming.
  • Options

Pointless question because as far as I know no one is advocating every immigrant leaving. Some people have too much time and not enough basic common sense.
  • Options

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

And why should he given that, as far as I know, he is not a UKIP member. I am not even sure he is a supporter although I do believe he shares some of their aims.
    Is Mr Jones a UKIP supporter? I thought he was, but if not, apologies to him and UKIP.
  • Options
    RichardTyndall Maybe, but Jenrick will have a head start having been working the seat for months
  • Options

Oh that's so funny. The trauma ! Some coffee shops might close !
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    On thread it could also be that UKIP has peaked too soon. Time will tell.
  • Options

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

Is Mr Jones a UKIP supporter? I thought he was, but if not, apologies to him and UKIP.
    I support whoever is most likely to shake up the political class. If various crime related things weren't a priority I'd prob be more of a No2Eu type.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RichardTyndall Maybe, but Jenrick will have a head start having been working the seat for months

I agree. I still maintain that the seat was pretty safe for the Tories no matter what. That said, as I said yesterday, Jenrick through absolutely no fault of his own has not exactly been making much progress in getting his name familiar in the seat. Practically no one had heard of him at all before Mercer finally resigned last week not least of all because the local paper is so poor that it has carried almost nothing about him since his selection.

I would suggest that right now more people have heard of Helmer than Jenrick and even that will be a tiny proportion of the electorate.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited May 2014
    Danny565 said:

Revealed: How parts of Britain are now poorer than POLAND with families in Wales and Cornwall among Europe's worst off

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617938/Revealed-How-parts-Britain-poorer-POLAND-families-Wales-Cornwall-Europes-worst-off.html

Further proof of the south east and London being showered with goodies that have been stolen from the rest of the UK. And then people wonder why there's such a fury and resentment towards the south east, most vividly on display in Scotland but fast bubbling away under the surface in northern England too.

Without train loads of cash being sent west of Offa's Dike, the Welsh economy would collapse to about Portugal's GDP per head I would imagine. Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan are about UK average, everywhere else less, many parts of the Valleys lots less. Take out the back room jobs such as RAF Valley, Companies' House, DVLA, Patent Office etc and the devastation would be even greater. There is NO doubt Wales is economically better off as a result of transfers from London and the S East.
  • Options

Pointless question because as far as I know no one is advocating every immigrant leaving. Some people have too much time and not enough basic common sense.
    I agree with the first part (at least outside the BNP and similar nutjobs). But it might be nice if occasionally UKIP supporters actually had something nice and/or positive to say about immigrants, especially the kind they'd like in the country.

The same for Europe. As a silly example: "Hey, I love going to Spain for holidays, and I'd love the Spanish to come over here to enjoy our rain. But I think that it's in both of our countries' best interests to control the number of low-skilled people moving between them.", or somesuch.

Instead, and for understandable reasons, it sometimes concentrates a little too much on the negative, at least in my eyes. Then again, I'm biased ...
  • Options
    RichardTyndall Indeed, but the Tories should have more councillors and a better presence on the ground. Labour also has a presence, Fiona Jones won the seat for Labour in 1997 before Mercer won it back in 2001
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited May 2014

Are people advocating a certain percentage of immigrants should leave then? If so, who and what are the percentages?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

I support whoever is most likely to shake up the political class. If various crime related things weren't a priority I'd prob be more of a No2Eu type.
    So for clarity: are you a UKIP supporter, or just a floating voter likely to put his cross in UKIP's box?
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

So for clarity: are you a UKIP supporter, or just a floating voter likely to put his cross in UKIP's box?
    I'd say i was a crime-priority voter.
  • Options

I agree with the first part (at least outside the BNP and similar nutjobs). But it might be nice if occasionally UKIP supporters actually had something nice and/or positive to say about immigrants, especially the kind they'd like in the country.

The same for Europe. As a silly example: "Hey, I love going to Spain for holidays, and I'd love the Spanish to come over here to enjoy our rain. But I think that it's in both of our countries' best interests to control the number of low-skilled people moving between them.", or somesuch.

Instead, and for understandable reasons, it sometimes concentrates a little too much on the negative, at least in my eyes. Then again, I'm biased ...
    The fact that the leader is married to, and has two children with, a German should be a bit of a hint that the party doesn't stand for hatred of Europe/Europeans
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

So crime and justice is your highest priority. It's clear you're very interested in gang crime; what other aspects concern you, and how would you like to see them addressed?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

"Numerous media sources reported in mid-August 2013 that Rupert Murdoch's corporation 21st Century Fox had invested US$70 million in Vice Media, resulting in a 5 percent stake. Following the announcement, Smith explained, "We have set ourselves up to build a global platform but we have maintained control.""

Young,vibrant Murdoch hacks. Doing their master's bidding.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RichardTyndall Indeed, but the Tories should have more councillors and a better presence on the ground. Labour also has a presence, Fiona Jones won the seat for Labour in 1997 before Mercer won it back in 2001

Oh for the councillors you are spot on. They effectively hold every county council seat in the constituency - even the one independent is a former Tory who fell out with her local colleagues but who can probably be relied upon to support a Tory Westminster candidate.

The real worry the Tories might have is how the manner of Mercer's departing effects local perception of the party but I think most people in the constituency see him as a bad egg and a continuation of the scandals of a few years ago rather than specifically symptomatic of the Tory party.

I very much doubt Labour will get anywhere. They are still recovering from the whole Jones saga even a decade or more later. There was also been quite a lot of disruption and fracturing in the local Labour party in the aftermath of that and some of the current independent district and town councillors were former Labour councillors who got embroiled in the whole Jones affair.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Are people advocating a certain percentage of immigrants should leave then? If so, who and what are the percentages?
    No one is, but its the kind of nonsense that gets made as an argument against UKIP, when UKIP aren't suggesting anything of the sort.

Mind you, the other day on here I found myself in the absurd position of being told I should want repatriation of all immigrants, because I don't agree with open door immigration.

Strawmen I think
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

So crime and justice is your highest priority. It's clear you're very interested in gang crime; what other aspects concern you, and how would you like to see them addressed?
    I'd be happy with them admitting the problem exists.
  • Options
    Just spotted that Yellow Submarine has returned. Delighted to see the return of another seasoned PBer.

Don't worry about Malcolm. He is more a ginger tom than a wildcat and I have always suspected quite a nice chap away from his PB postings. He just gets a bit upset when others get close to suggesting his milk is on the turn.

Now you lovely people I am away. Much more important things to do. Game of Thrones is about to start and I need my weekly fix of wobbly bits and nasty people meeting grizzly ends!
    TTFN
  • Options
    isam said:

The fact that the leader is married to, and has two children with, a German should be a bit of a hint that the party doesn't stand for hatred of Europe/Europeans
    That doesn't follow in the least.

And I repeat: it would be nice occasionally to see UKIP supporters being more positive about Europe, whilst saying our paths lie apart in friendship. And the same goes for immigration.
  • Options

I think perhaps there is an element of not wanting to hear what is being said there JJ. A number of UKIP members both on here and elsewhere have put forward the argument that one of the problems with current immigration policy is that the free movement of peoples from Europe means that immigration restrictions have to fall on non- EU migrants who we might actually want. That was specifically one of the criticisms that Farage levelled at Cameron over the Chinese student debacle.

Personally - and I do know for sure this is a position held by many others in UKIP - we would look forward to the playing field being levelled and the possibillity of more targetted skilled migration from non EU countries as a result of not having the mass migration from the EU.
  • Options
    Nearly forgot to add that I too received my UKIP leaflets, both here in Easterross and at my cottage I rent out. My initial reaction was twofold. I thought the anti-immigrant stuff was overdone and the leaflet was obviously English and aimed at an English readership. Little if any distinct reference to Scotland or Scottish issues. From memory the imprint was an English address too but that doesn't tend to signify much as I think one of my electoral addresses in 1987 was part of a bulk print in England with just my name and constituency changed from all the others.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

That doesn't follow in the least.

And I repeat: it would be nice occasionally to see UKIP supporters being more positive about Europe, whilst saying our paths lie apart in friendship. And the same goes for immigration.
    Why doesn't it follow?
    The popular leader of a party that wants out of the EU is married to a German. I presume he is in love with her. What could be more positive?

• Options
    murali_s said:

Outside of the BNP and their ilk I have never heard anyone say that any immigrants who have come here legally should leave. There is a general acceptance in UKIP that we are where we are and what is necessary is to have controls in place to stop the situation deteriorating further.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    welshowl said:

Danny565 said:

Without train loads of cash being sent west of Offa's Dike, the Welsh economy would collapse to about Portugal's GDP per head I would imagine. Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan are about UK average, everywhere else less, many parts of the Valleys lots less. Take out the back room jobs such as RAF Valley, Companies' House, DVLA, Patent Office etc and the devastation would be even greater. There is NO doubt Wales is economically better off as a result of transfers from London and the S East.
    I think there was a US study (of pork barrel gov't spending) that showed gov't spending in an area had a negative effect on private sector jobs.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Dan Hannan in the Daily Telegraph - If it comes down to immigration versus investment, Britain will vote to stay in the EU

"We’re losing, we Get-Outers. Every opinion poll shows that opposition to EU membership has fallen over the past 12 months. Most now have a majority for staying in and, while one or two still have secessionists in front, all show the same trend."
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    A very big welcome back to @Yellow_Submarine

One of the most insightful posters over many years
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    RichardTyndall As you say, looks like a Tory hold, but we shall see, boundary changes in 2005 also boosted the Tories
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Dan Hannan in the Daily Telegraph - If it comes down to immigration versus investment, Britain will vote to stay in the EU

"We’re losing, we Get-Outers. Every opinion poll shows that opposition to EU membership has fallen over the past 12 months. Most now have a majority for staying in and, while one or two still have secessionists in front, all show the same trend."

Ooooo Partial quoting there Fitlass. The whole article is basically designed to attack UKIP and set out an alternative vision for Britain outside of the EU. It shows that the argument can and will be won on the basis of the economic benefits of leaving the EU rather than immigration.

I don't claim that Hannan is wrong but your partial posting does rather give a false impression of the tone of his article.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

Danny565 said:

I think there was a US study (of pork barrel gov't spending) that showed gov't spending in an area had a negative effect on private sector jobs.
    Well it's a tricky one for sure. Wales needs pork short and medium term for sure, but I can believe that "well paid" ( ie at UK national rates )public sector jobs create problems for Welsh private sector employers having to compete. Probably the reverse of the situation in say Surrey.
This discussion has been closed.