Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Roger Helmer: Ukip’s first elected MP?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Roger Helmer: Ukip’s first elected MP?

According to the Sun the controversial Ukip MEP, Roger Helmer is being lined up to be the party’s candidate for the Newark by-election which takes place on June 5th two weeks after the May 22nd Euros.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    First - unlike Roger Helmer I suspect. The Tories organisation on the ground should be comfortably enough here, particularly with a 'new broom' candidate.
  • Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    Roger Helmer shook Farage's hand with freemasonic grip when he left the Conservatives. See photo. It's all the same thing, UKIP, Conservative and all - one big sell-out to big corporations. http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/nigel-farage-is-fracker-windfarms-kill.html
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,385
    It is my suspicion that Labour will go into this by election early and hard to see if they are picking up any traction but they may well back off if they think they are not getting anywhere and thereafter be complicit in their vote being squeezed.

A UKIP win here is strategically the best outcome for Labour and massively increases the probability of Miliband ending up in No 10 in 2015. Unless Labour think they have got a genuine chance I can see them underplaying this.

FWIW I think their vote will be squeezed anyway.
  • Options
    Meanwhile the conversion of the Torygraph to the UKIPograph reaches the Alex cartoon:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/alex/

Is Boris the final bastion?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    9/2 is long for Ukip. That said, to win, Ukip need to gain support not in areas where they're already doing well (so well that they can't be far off saturation point) but in areas where they're not.

You'd expect that they're going to need at least 35% to win on what'll probably be a 45%+ turnout and quite possibly a 50%+ one (Eastleigh, the other 3-way by-election this parliament, had a 52.8% turnout and Newark was 71.4% at the GE). That's around 12500 votes needed to win and to do that, they'll need reasonably wide support across the demographic groups as there simply aren't enough pensioners (for example).

Is Helmer the right candidate to do that? Possibly, though the key battle now I feel is Lab/UKIP for the socially conservative C2/D/E voters, which Helmer might be well-placed to go for.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,327
    Newark is win win for Labour. Even if the Tories win their vote will crash as UKIP surge. Or maybe UKIP surge enough to snatch it. Or even more unlikely Newark copies Witney Central and Labour win as the Tory/UKIP vote splits. In any likely scenario we will be able to take this result and talk about the calamitous impact on the Tories and Yellow Pox as they head into the final year of marriage.

As for the UKIP candidate does it matter? There going to have to find non lunatic non big name candidates from somewhere. Let's have the Hamiltons running in adjacent seats for comedy value
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is my suspicion that Labour will go into this by election early and hard to see if they are picking up any traction but they may well back off if they think they are not getting anywhere and thereafter be complicit in their vote being squeezed.

A UKIP win here is strategically the best outcome for Labour and massively increases the probability of Miliband ending up in No 10 in 2015. Unless Labour think they have got a genuine chance I can see them underplaying this.

It's an extremely dangerous game to soft-pedal an election where you start second in a seat you held until 2001, letting the party that started fourth overtake you in the hope that they might win. If here, why not elsewhere?

That said, I agree Labour's vote will probably be squeezed. Do I agree that it's in Labour's strategic interest to hope for a UKIP win? Not necessarily. It depends on how the votes shift and how the parties react afterwards.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's an extremely dangerous game to soft-pedal an election where you start second in a seat you held until 2001, letting the party that started fourth overtake you in the hope that they might win. If here, why not elsewhere?

That said, I agree Labour's vote will probably be squeezed. Do I agree that it's in Labour's strategic interest to hope for a UKIP win? Not necessarily. It depends on how the votes shift and how the parties react afterwards.
    For the tories to have any chance they have to get at least 5% of those currently supporting UKIP back into their column. That will be immesurably more difficult if the "wasted vote" argument is destroyed in this by election. The tories have everything to lose here.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    The seat will be a good measure of how much of Labour's support is anti-Tory and how much is positive. You'd expect that in what is essentially a Tory v Tory fight 2010 Labour and Red Liberals will want to keep well away.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. L, it'd be a short-term tactical advantage to Labour, but strategically it would be monumentally stupid.

If UKIP start winning MPs the whole centre of British politics in social and EU terms shifts to the right. It also means we could see rightwing tactical voting (not as straightforward as the anti-Conservative Lib Dems and Labour, but with WWC probably flitting to and from Labour and old fashioned rightwing Tories switching between purple and blue).

The Lib Dems might be down and out, and it's possible they'll be permanently replaced as one of the 'big' parties by UKIP. Would that be a better situation for Labour?

Mind you, given it'd be stupid in the long term and advantageous in the short-term recent history would suggest Labour would quite like a UKIP win (cf Scottish devolution).
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited May 2014
    It will be interesting to see how any anti UKIP sentiment among some voters on the left plays out in this by-election, if indeed, UKIP decide to field such a high profile and decisive candidate such as Roger Helmer?
    tpfkar said:

First - unlike Roger Helmer I suspect. The Tories organisation on the ground should be comfortably enough here, particularly with a 'new broom' candidate.

• Options
    SophieBSophieB Posts: 5
    Smart choice IMO
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    It must be tempting for Newark's voters to make political history by electing the first UKIP MP.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

For the tories to have any chance they have to get at least 5% of those currently supporting UKIP back into their column. That will be immesurably more difficult if the "wasted vote" argument is destroyed in this by election. The tories have everything to lose here.
    Although the picture would be much less clear were there a 5% swing from Lab to UKIP as well, which is the risk for Labour of soft-pedalling Newark.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    edited May 2014

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. L, it'd be a short-term tactical advantage to Labour, but strategically it would be monumentally stupid.

If UKIP start winning MPs the whole centre of British politics in social and EU terms shifts to the right. It also means we could see rightwing tactical voting (not as straightforward as the anti-Conservative Lib Dems and Labour, but with WWC probably flitting to and from Labour and old fashioned rightwing Tories switching between purple and blue).

The Lib Dems might be down and out, and it's possible they'll be permanently replaced as one of the 'big' parties by UKIP. Would that be a better situation for Labour?

Mind you, given it'd be stupid in the long term and advantageous in the short-term recent history would suggest Labour would quite like a UKIP win (cf Scottish devolution).

This is not really about Labour at all is it? This is all about the Tories and their rupture from a conservative vote that they used to own exclusively. It's not good for them in exactly the same way that the arrival of the SDP/Alliance was for Labour.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Lab should get a respectable score with all those squeezable LibDems. It looks like a Con hold, but it's obviously worth their while fighting for it. Ed could really do with a win in an actual election to boost morale, especially as Lab's Euro performance could be a bit meh.

PS Welcome back, Tapestry.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2014
    Jonathan said:

Good morning, everyone.

This is not really about Labour at all is it? This is all about the Tories and their rupture from a conservative vote that they used to own exclusively. It's not good for them in exactly the same way that the arrival of the SDP/Alliance was for Labour.

It's striking how poorly Labour are polling relative to the Tories despite UKIP's boom and the LibDem collapse.

• Options
    Mr. Jonathan, Labour's approach could be the difference between Conservatives or UKIP winning. It was the King of Pergamon's cunning that led to the defeat of Antiochus III at the Battle of Magnesia, even though the battle was really between Rome and the Seleucid Empire.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

DavidL said:

"held until 2001" is perhaps a bit misleading. Labour won the seat in the 1997 landslide and then lost it again at the very next opportunity. Previous to that it had been Tory for 18 years. And of course the seat has changed and become much more favourable to the Tories as a result of eth last round of boundary changes.

Even with Helmer as candidate (and to be honest who outside of those with a real interest in politics has heard of him) I still can't see this being anything but a Tory hold with a reduced majority.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    FPT

antifrank said:
    While you're waiting for a new thread, you can peruse my latest post, this time on Wales:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/how-red-our-are-valleys-wales-2015.html

@antifrank

Thank you for that - currently living here, I was interested in your analysis, but did not find an answer to the question you posed, "how red are our valleys?"

The simple answer is that they will stay red because they are the home of benefitland. The main reasons why their ancestors came to the valleys over about 150 years ago - coal and iron ore - have gone and that employment has not been replaced. Indeed other manufacturing industries have also closed down. As the place has been greened over - there is fierce resistance to opening any new coal mines. The Welsh Government tends to throw money at this area - almost without thinking.

As you say, Plaid is left wing and so is fishing in the same pool (except for coastal west Wales) and is bereft of ideas excepting forcing more Welshness on a mainly unwilling population. However, it is noticeable that a lot of the better paid public sector jobs require fluency in Welsh (even though it spoken by only 23% of the population).

You say, "Wales, of course, has devolved government. This is, as it has been since its inception, Labour controlled. It is responsible for, among other things, education, health and the environment, so many of the subjects that are the subject of political debate for the Westminster election in England are of less pressing importance in Wales." Here I would disagree with you as there is much public anger about cuts in health services which results in poorer care and longer waiting lists and about the disgraceful performance in education from primary school to university. This could well have an impact outside the Valleys.

Ceredigion should stay Liberal as Mark Williams is a good MP; Brecon will probably stay Liberal as Roger Williams is a well-known farmer but will be 67 if he stands again. Montgomery should stay Conservative as Glyn Davies is a local man and has done well. Also it elected a Conservative AM in 2011, Russell George, who has promoted and won infrastructure improvements.

Also, when looking at Wales, it should be remembered that places as politically different as Ceredigion, Ynys Mon and Pembrokeshire have lots of Independents on their Councils.
  • Options

DavidL said:

"held until 2001" is perhaps a bit misleading. Labour won the seat in the 1997 landslide and then lost it again at the very next opportunity. Previous to that it had been Tory for 18 years. And of course the seat has changed and become much more favourable to the Tories as a result of eth last round of boundary changes.

Even with Helmer as candidate (and to be honest who outside of those with a real interest in politics has heard of him) I still can't see this being anything but a Tory hold with a reduced majority.
    That seems the most likely outcome, but UKIP are definitely in the game. If they take 40% of Tories they win, and it's easy to see them getting 30% of Tories.
  • Options
    I do however think UKIP could make some mileage in this by-election on the position of the electorate 'lending their vote' until 2015. Certainly it would have the ability of killing the potency of the myth of letting Labour in since a Tory loss in this by-election would make no change to the balance of power between Labour and the Tories in Parliament.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

I do however think UKIP could make some mileage in this by-election on the position of the electorate 'lending their vote' until 2015. Certainly it would have the ability of killing the potency of the myth of letting Labour in since a Tory loss in this by-election would make no change to the balance of power between Labour and the Tories in Parliament.

UKIPs problem remains it's not taking enough votes off Labour, so de facto it's a Labour proxy.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT

Millions of households are missing out on the £50 cut to their energy bills promised by David Cameron because their supplier has not passed it on.

Four of the Big Six power firms have failed to pass on the full saving from the reduction in green levies announced last year, latest figures show.

E.ON, EDF, npower and Scottish Power have offered 3.7million of their customers just £12 off. However, British Gas and SSE gave their customers the full saving.

Critics said the failure to pass on the full sum hands a £140million windfall to the energy giants, which had fought hard for a drop in green levies.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2620282/Four-Big-Six-power-firms-fail-pass-50-green-tax-cut-EDF-E-ON-nPower-Scottish-Power-offer-just-12-bills-following-cut-green-levies.html#ixzz30pHQzDTy

So how would EdM fix energy prices?
  • Options

UKIPs problem remains it's not taking enough votes off Labour, so de facto it's a Labour proxy.

It'll take votes off Labour where it does not matter - in strongholds and seats where Labour can't win. Elsewhere, not so much.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Yes, as the only main opposition party within Westminster right now, Labour should get a respectable score in this by-election. But there is a danger that if Labour don't hit the ground running, they will in effect, rule themselves out of this contest altogether and it will become a straight fight between the Conservatives and UKIP leaving Labour slipping backwards.

And this is where the choice of UKIP's candidate could really stir up some added cross party tactically voting. Diane James was a very good choice for UKIP in Eastleigh, but would such a high profile and decisive figure like Helmer work as well for them in a seat where they will be trying to effectively squeeze that substantial Labour/Libdem vote in this Conservative seat? I am not so sure he would, its worth remembering what happened to Farage when he tried to take on Bercow at the last GE.

Lab should get a respectable score with all those squeezable LibDems. It looks like a Con hold, but it's obviously worth their while fighting for it. Ed could really do with a win in an actual election to boost morale, especially as Lab's Euro performance could be a bit meh.

PS Welcome back, Tapestry.

• Options

It'll take votes off Labour where it does not matter - in strongholds and seats where Labour can't win. Elsewhere, not so much.

maybe. But the same applies to Tory seats. As ever the only critical area is the 150 or so marginals.
  • Options

We could say the same thing about the Tories at the Euros since they are third and the real fight is between Labour and UKIP. In both cases however it is a daft thing to say.
  • Options
    Two other reasons why Helmer's selection - if indeed it is he - is a very cute one for UKIP.

Firstly, as a heavyweight in their own terms, it largely neutralised the criticism of Farage not standing. It's unlikely that Farage would have done better than Helmer unless the latter blunders badly in the spotlight.

On the other hand, Helmer is seventy and even if he were to win, that factor would limit any ability to act as an alternative leader were he to win - prior to the election at least.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Is Helmer and his interesting views the sort of chap that will have the handwringers of Newark rushing to keep the Con out ?

More like Farage sending a rival on a suicide mission.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Newark is the sort of seat that Labour can have few expectations of winning again at a general election, short of finding the next Tony Blair - who does not appear to even be on their horizon yet.

However, if UKIP does well in Newark, I would argue that it is going to be down to "the reluctant Lefties" - those who vote Labour with no great enthusiasm and out of exasperation with a sitting Tory Govt. The reluctant Lefties didn't see good reason to vote Labour in 2010 - Gordon Brown again? No thanks.... They are largely skeptical of greater state control - because they don't believe it works. They are reluctant to vote for Ed Miliband, both for the (absence of ) policies and (the absence of) the man. Yet they aren't happy with their lot. They want Govt. to "do something" - a something Govt. can't deliver any more than these disgruntled voters can define. The scales have fallen from their eyes with the LibDems - as part of the Coalition Govt., they are part of the problem in not delivering "something".

And they now have a very low opinion of politicians as a class. They are "all the same" in that none of them are delivering the fabled "something".

They have no great attraction to UKIP, which may in certain areas be anathema to the reluctant Lefties. But as long as they aren't going to form a Govt. in Westminster, they can either sit this one out - or even vote for them, knowing it is a poke in the eye to the Tories, gives a cold-shoulder to the LibDems and tells Labour to pull its socks up and offer a reason to vote for them - a reason totally lacking with a year to go to the General Election.

If Labour lets these "reluctant Lefties" wander off at Newark, then they can wave goodbye to a raft of marginals.
  • Options

We could say the same thing about the Tories at the Euros since they are third and the real fight is between Labour and UKIP. In both cases however it is a daft thing to say.
    The Euros aren't fought under FPTP, the GE is .
  • Options
    Do the voters of Newark want to be remembered as the place that elected the moustachioed chap who had interesting views on gays ?
  • Options
    o/T housing starts:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/planning/10802390/Number-of-new-housing-estates-jumps-by-a-quarter-since-planning-reforms.html

The number of large scale housing estates being pushed through by developers across England has soared over the past two years, according to the most extensive analysis ever of the Coalition’s relaxation of planning laws.
    The figures are the most detailed and authoritative analysis yet that the Government’s relaxation of the planning rulebook has seen a significant rise in building across the country.
  • Options
    As an aside, were Helmer to stand and win, he'd be the oldest person to enter parliament at a by-election since 1946.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    He's not exactly local, address is down as Lutterworth
  • Options

maybe. But the same applies to Tory seats. As ever the only critical area is the 150 or so marginals.

I agree. We'll see, but my guess is that in those 150 marginals Labour can probably bank on the vast majority of its 2010 support plus a decent level of 2010 LDs. If I am right, that makes even a small drift to UKIP pretty calamitous for the Tories. I imagine it will be a regional thing. I can't really see it happening much in a place like Leamington, but further to the south and east, perhaps.

As has been the case for the last four years GE 2015 has Hung Parliament written all over it. Should that turn out to be the case it will essentially be a plague on both your parties election.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Do the voters of Newark want to be remembered as the place that elected the moustachioed chap who had interesting views on gays ?

Most of them probably don't, but it's FPTP and the excellent-moustache vote is united whereas the clean-shaven-and-with-no-particular-hang-ups-about-gay-people vote is split between Con and Lab.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, a Yes could change that.
  • Options

As an aside, were Helmer to stand and win, he'd be the oldest person to enter parliament at a by-election since 1946.

And yet the youngest Kipper MP ;)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Betfair now have a Newark by election market , very early days

Con 1.42/1.59
    Lab 3/4.44
    UKIP 3.5/9.2
    LD 1.01/-
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TGOHF said:

Is Helmer and his interesting views the sort of chap that will have the handwringers of Newark rushing to keep the Con out ?

The more you send posts like these the stupider you seem to be. Sad really.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited May 2014
    Helmer does suffer from looking like the identikit Mr Angry that UKIP's opponents paint them as....
  • Options

I agree. We'll see, but my guess is that in those 150 marginals Labour can probably bank on the vast majority of its 2010 support plus a decent level of 2010 LDs. If I am right, that makes even a small drift to UKIP pretty calamitous for the Tories. I imagine it will be a regional thing. I can't really see it happening much in a place like Leamington, but further to the south and east, perhaps.

As has been the case for the last four years GE 2015 has Hung Parliament written all over it. Should that turn out to be the case it will essentially be a plague on both your parties election.
    I agree with you on a HP. In the marginals however there's still a way to go though Labour does have distinct advantages. The biggest hurdle to Labour is the Ed doesn't inspire theme and the economic cockup they left behind them. Another 12 months of an improving economy will help Cameron and I suspect kipper voters will think hard in a marginal much the same as an LD would.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and aren't some PBers getting carried away by UKIP's self-propelled "success". They haven't actually won anything yet. Let's see if they win the Euro elections.

If Mr Helmer is re-elected as an MEP, will he have to stand down in order to stand in Newark?

The Newark Tories have known for around a year they were going into the GE2015 with a new candidate and said candidate has been in place for some time. Presumably he has been getting a fair degree of positive coverage in the local and regional media. He will already know the constituency and presumably on the ground the local Tory association will know where it is strong and where it is weak.

We must not underestimate the ability of Roger Helmer to share one of his "pearls of wisdom" with the media. He does not strike me as a Diane James or anything like her.

The polls are all over the place. Indeed the pogo pollsters own polls are all over the place. Frankly we none of us have a clue what the papers will be saying 3 weeks today. Most assume they will be hailing a UKIP victory. A lot can happen between now and then.
  • Options
    If Helmer does stand, and I've seen no official announcement, he would certainly give the tories a run for their money.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

The more you send posts like these the stupider you seem to be. Sad really.
    Bookies have the male pale and stale kipper as 3rd favourite.

Farage would have been shorter odds than that.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    I know Roger Helmer reasonably well and have debated him: he's forceful but not personally unpleasant. He is a very Thatcherite chap - not, I'd think, on the libertarian wing of UKIP - though to be fair he's willing to defend his views to hostile audiences. I organised a debate on climate change (which he thinks is bollocks) starting with the Al Gore Inconvenient Truth film (which he thinks is double bollocks), and he came for 90 minutes of discussion with a largely critical audience.

He nearly stood down as a Tory MEP some years ago but wanted to ensure that a like-minded person replaced him and Tory HQ had other ideas (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Helmer for details), so he decided to stay on, and switched to UKIP. He is head of their East Midlands list so will have some name recognition in Newark betyond that of a random MEP. A possible attack will be the double-hatting, but presumably he'll promise to stand down from the EP if elected to Westminster.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    fitalass said:

Yes, as the only main opposition party within Westminster right now, Labour should get a respectable score in this by-election. But there is a danger that if Labour don't hit the ground running, they will in effect, rule themselves out of this contest altogether and it will become a straight fight between the Conservatives and UKIP leaving Labour slipping backwards.

Labour have at least already chosen their candidate, whereas for UKIP we have only rumours. It doesn't look like Labour are the party at risk of missing the boat for this by-election.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, a Yes could change that.

To an extent maybe - Tories the largest party instead of Labour.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    On the Welsh situation written about below: yes agree with much of that, except not so sure about the Libs in Brecon.

Cardiff north is a super marginal ( about 100 I think ). It is actually fairly prosperous but I suspect is populated by a lot of better paid public sector workers (eg BBC Wales types). Used to be more Tory 20 years ago, than it was in 2010 without being "safe".

Cardiff Central is a real eclectic mix ( for Wales ) of traditional working class, immigrants, students ( loads and loads of them) and some seriously nice bits which are a bit Guardianista. It had just about the highest vote for AV in Wales ( high forties I think). The local Lib MP voted, I recall, against tuition fees ( political suicide for her given all those student votes if she hadn't). Quite a few Tory votes still to squeeze too. Labour won the the Assembly by a wafer thin margin of about 100 and have troops on the ground, (or bus them in from the Valleys) so should win, but it's not a total gimme if the Libs can persuade some Tories to vote tactically.
  • Options
    Can I recommend Señor Huhne's piece in the Guardian?
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, it'd depend on the response of the two major parties (south of the border) and how the electorate views them. A Conservative majority is not impossible.

The impact on UKIP would be interesting too. It might collapse entirely, as the right and left supporters of it flock back to their 'natural' homes as the 2015 election could determine who negotiates the separation of the UK, a critical and one-off event.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

If Mr Helmer is re-elected as an MEP, will he have to stand down in order to stand in Newark?

The Electoral Commission says it does not regard being an MP as being compatible with being an MEP - but I guess Helmer could wait to see if he's elected as MP before standing down as MEP. Would that force another by election for MEP? A stick to beat Helmer with for "wasting tax payer money" if so....
  • Options

Good morning all and aren't some PBers getting carried away by UKIP's self-propelled "success". They haven't actually won anything yet. Let's see if they win the Euro elections.

The Newark Tories have known for around a year they were going into the GE2015 with a new candidate and said candidate has been in place for some time. Presumably he has been getting a fair degree of positive coverage in the local and regional media. He will already know the constituency and presumably on the ground the local Tory association will know where it is strong and where it is weak.

We must not underestimate the ability of Roger Helmer to share one of his "pearls of wisdom" with the media. He does not strike me as a Diane James or anything like her.

The polls are all over the place. Indeed the pogo pollsters own polls are all over the place. Frankly we none of us have a clue what the papers will be saying 3 weeks today. Most assume they will be hailing a UKIP victory. A lot can happen between now and then.

Interestingly the new Tory candidate has been getting almost no coverage in the local media including the local paper - not until the Mercer announcement last week anyway. This is not a criticism of the candidate, more a comment on the parlous state of the local media who seem to operate on some strange other planet most the time.

I still believe the local Tory party took an unnecessary risk choosing Jenrick but they will probably get away with it.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014
    There is one outstanding fallacy in Huhne's argument. He claims that '[o]nce the judge ruled that there was still a case to answer against me, I decided to plead guilty.' This is simply not the case. When Sweeney J refused his application to dismiss and to stay for an abuse of process on 27 January 2013, Huhne pleaded not guilty to the indictment. He only pleaded guilty on re-arraignment a week later. The idea, therefore, that he didn't want to mislead the court or have a contested trial ab initio, and that he was merely challenging the lies of a fantasist is incredible. What is more ludicrous is the fact that a newspaper gives him a platform to attempt re-write history in his own favour.
  • Options

The Electoral Commission says it does not regard being an MP as being compatible with being an MEP - but I guess Helmer could wait to see if he's elected as MP before standing down as MEP. Would that force another by election for MEP? A stick to beat Helmer with for "wasting tax payer money" if so....
    Nope. Under the party list system we have for EP elections the seat goes to the next UKIP name on the list.
  • Options

No by-election - it's a party list so they just tap the next person down.
  • Options

Can I recommend Señor Huhne's piece in the Guardian?

I think it would be fair to say I share the somewhat unsympathetic response of the bulk of the comments to Mr Huhne's rather self-serving analysis.......

• Options

Nope. Under the party list system we have for EP elections the seat goes to the next UKIP name on the list.
    I did wonder.....cui bono.....?
  • Options

Not blowing a load of money conducting an election of an entire region when they voted for a party in the first place-i bono.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    @CarlottaVance Just as well for the LDs that some votes were delayed in the post. If he had been leader, how much damage would he have wrought?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Roger Helmer gives instant recognition in pubs and would be a brilliant choice.

Tories are going to have to put up someone with some star power.Otherwise,they may end up losing this.
  • Options
    Can it be? Or is it Bank holiday delirium? Here is a Conhome piece seemingly siding with UKIP.

http://www.conservativehome.com/the-deep-end/2014/05/ukip-derangement-disorder-time-for-a-second-opinion.html.

"Britain is in the grip of an epidemic – a feverish hysteria called UDD or UKIP Derangement Disorder. The symptoms are for the most part psychological, but the physical signs include swivelling eyes, reddened extremities and drooling.

At this point I should make clear that UDD isn’t a condition suffered by persons who may be attracted to UKIP, but by its most vociferous detractors.

Yes, UKIP does have its own problem with loonies and fruitcakes. This is hardly surprising – it is an anti-establishment populist party and that will draw people in for many reasons, good and bad."
  • Options

Not blowing a load of money conducting an election of an entire region when they voted for a party in the first place-i bono.
    Who is lower down on the UKIP list who would become MEP if Helmer becomes MP?
  • Options

UKIP candidates are, in descending order, Roger Helmer, Margot Parker, Jonathan Bullock, Nigel Wickens and Barry Mahoney. Assuming that UKIP win 2 East Midlands seats (Helmer and Parker) then Bullock would be next in line if Helmer steps down.
  • Options
    Vanilla playing up again this morning. I thought we were due for a change.
  • Options
    Mr. K, it's been working fine for a week or two now.

Reloading seems to take a little while, but I've not had any problems posting messages or signing in/out.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The thing about Wales is that, to all intents and purposes, Labour have never really been out of power.

I wonder how many long time labour supporters have had very poor experiences with health and education in the rotten principality in recent times, and realised that in tory England things are at least not worse than labour Wales, and in many cases better.

I wonder how many people really want to vote for the same once in a blue moon bin collections, red princes and council taxes in excess of some of England's most affluent areas.

Is there really the hatred of toryism here that some on the left would have us believe? ten years ago I would have said undoubtedly yes. Now I'm not so sure.

I reckon the tories could do a bit better in Wales than people think.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Good morning all.

Isn't Roger Helmer's very recent loyalties to the Conservative Party going to be something which may encourage a number of more tribal Labour voters not to back him, should he stand?

There may also be the point that he defected and did not seek immediate public consent for his change of party, which could I imagine annoy some Conservative voters too.

I am now off to my local Bank Holiday festival, where I will be boxing for 30 minutes in public! I should emphasise this is not bare knuckle boxing, but the gloves and pads type as I am helping to advertise our local circuit training group!!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't know if Martin Coxall is still around but I vaguely remember he was following Roger Helmer's career. Since it's now relevant to the thread he might like to repost what he's posted here in the past?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    TGOHF said:

o/T housing starts:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/planning/10802390/Number-of-new-housing-estates-jumps-by-a-quarter-since-planning-reforms.html

The number of large scale housing estates being pushed through by developers across England has soared over the past two years, according to the most extensive analysis ever of the Coalition’s relaxation of planning laws.
    The figures are the most detailed and authoritative analysis yet that the Government’s relaxation of the planning rulebook has seen a significant rise in building across the country.

Destroying the English countryside to house immigrants we don't want, couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    Mr. M, best of luck in your bout.

I feel the need to point out that bare knuckle boxing is actually safer than the modern variety (a rare example of something becoming more dangerous as time goes by). The limit on how hard you can hit someone was determined by the desire not to break your own hand. Padded gloves protect your hand, enabling you to hit harder, but don't protect your adversary.

On the other hand, modern boxing is probably safer than doing it was some varieties of cestus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cestus

"A cestus is an ancient battle glove, sometimes used in pankration. They were worn as are today's boxing gloves, but were made with leather strips and sometimes filled with iron plates or fitted with blades or spikes, and used as weapons."
  • Options
    Thanks for welcome back, EdmundIntokyo. Any fracking going on in Newark, or at least any planning applications?
    http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/nigel-farage-is-fracker-windfarms-kill.html
    It's banned in France and should be banned in England too where population is much denser.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pub recognition? I think not. I am in his euro constituency, more than averagely interested in politics and wouldn't have recognized him without his picture up.

He would not entice the former Labour voters, but would be a grab for Tory backwoodsmen. There are a fair bunch of these in the more rural parts of the East Midlands.

SMukesh said:

Roger Helmer gives instant recognition in pubs and would be a brilliant choice.

Tories are going to have to put up someone with some star power.Otherwise,they may end up losing this.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    FPT for @Y0kel‌

What the f**k are you talking about? I didn't mention child abuse. I said that if the peace process is to have any chance then difficult decisions on both sides are needed when it comes to ex-terrorists. Gerry Adams as you say was one such and as the GFA didn't provide for amnesties of yet-to-be-caught terrorists just existing jailed ones then he didn't have anywhere to go.

You meanwhile? "On the ground" - LOL. God knows what you and @Alanbrooke want from your position of informed localness.

Good luck to you both and to the province.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    In the kingdom of the blind,the one-eyed man is king.Helmer and "star quality",hardly eggs and bacon.
    These days it may be safer for all parties to stick with a local option,more authentic,more credible.
  • Options
    Tapestry said:

Thanks for welcome back, EdmundIntokyo. Any fracking going on in Newark, or at least any planning applications?
    http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/nigel-farage-is-fracker-windfarms-kill.html
    It's banned in France and should be banned in England too where population is much denser.

Not fracking but there are some 3000 oil wells within about a 40 mile radius of Newark. Dukes Wood at Eakering in the constituency was the site of the first onshore oil wells in the UK in WW2 when American oilmen broke their own country's embargo on exporting oil technology prior to 1941 and came over to help the British. After the war the area was the centre of UK oil production until the North Sea took off and Whytch Farm in Dorset was discovered.

But there are still large numbers of oil wells in the area and a big production facility at Welton just north of Lincoln.

A lot of oil and gas people live in the constituency.
  • Options

Bullock would be next in line if Helmer steps down.
    Another ex-Tory:

http://rogerhelmermep.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/jonathan-bullock-joins-ukip/
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    taffys said:

The thing about Wales is that, to all intents and purposes, Labour have never really been out of power.

I wonder how many long time labour supporters have had very poor experiences with health and education in the rotten principality in recent times, and realised that in tory England things are at least not worse than labour Wales, and in many cases better.

I wonder how many people really want to vote for the same once in a blue moon bin collections, red princes and council taxes in excess of some of England's most affluent areas.

Is there really the hatred of toryism here that some on the left would have us believe? ten years ago I would have said undoubtedly yes. Now I'm not so sure.

They're hanging in there. It's not Scotland for sure. They usually do respectably enough considering the essential "economic demographics" ( have I just made that one up?) are against them in a sort of mirror image of Labour in leafy bits of England. Could do with a more user friendly Welsh leader though I think.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,057
    dr_spyn said:

@CarlottaVance Just as well for the LDs that some votes were delayed in the post. If he had been leader, how much damage would he have wrought?

He would have had to resign on being charged and there would have a new leader, which would probably have been a good thing, unless Clegg won!

• Options
    Mr. Owl, economic demographics is a perfectly sensible phrase. Not as superb as differential front end grip, of course, but what is?
  • Options

Bullock would be next in line if Helmer steps down.
    Another ex-Tory:

http://rogerhelmermep.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/jonathan-bullock-joins-ukip/
    Yep. I don't think the second placed on the list was a Tory but she stood for Libertas in previous elections. Background as a lobbyist at the EU so perhaps an easy target for criticism.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    A brutal armed robber, who brutally beat up people during his bank raids received 13 life sentences for his crimes. Twelve years later, he's in an open prison and let out for the weekend:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27280228

Seriously, what the #### is wrong with the justice system in this country? There's no liberalism for innocent people's private web and phone behaviour, but plenty to go round for convicted hardened criminals.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    taffys said:

As antifrank's analysis notes, the latest poll shows a 5.5% swing from Tories to Labour in Wales, which is roughly in line with the Britain-wide picture. My guess is that the average voter isn't really following Assembly affairs closely enough to cause vote-switching on that account, in either direction.

Incidentally, hat-tip to antifrank for succeeding in providing a series of interesting, balanced assessments of party politics in Britain even though he dislikes party politics and (I think) mostly lives in Hungary. As with andrea in Italy, perhaps the detachment lent by 1000 miles helps!

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Tapestry said:

Not fracking but there are some 3000 oil wells within about a 40 mile radius of Newark. Dukes Wood at Eakering in the constituency was the site of the first onshore oil wells in the UK in WW2 when American oilmen broke their own country's embargo on exporting oil technology prior to 1941 and came over to help the British. After the war the area was the centre of UK oil production until the North Sea took off and Whytch Farm in Dorset was discovered.

But there are still large numbers of oil wells in the area and a big production facility at Welton just north of Lincoln.

A couple of years ago I walked past a couple of nodding donkeys on an old airfield at Fiskerton, to the northeast of Lincoln.

They always seem a strange sight in the UK.

As an aside, the Wytch farm oilwells seem really well disguised; you'd hardly know they were there in some cases. ?BP? did a really good job setting them up.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

taffys said:

As antifrank's analysis notes, the latest poll shows a 5.5% swing from Tories to Labour in Wales, which is roughly in line with the Britain-wide picture. My guess is that the average voter isn't really following Assembly affairs closely enough to cause vote-switching on that account, in either direction.

Incidentally, hat-tip to antifrank for succeeding in providing a series of interesting, balanced assessments of party politics in Britain even though he dislikes party politics and (I think) mostly lives in Hungary. As with andrea in Italy, perhaps the detachment lent by 1000 miles helps!

I blush. But I mostly live in London, within a short walk of Dirty Dicks!

Hungary is my holiday home, which I visit about once every six weeks. I'll next be going in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Steven_WhaleySteven_Whaley Posts: 313
    edited May 2014
    I am ashamed that at the 2009 Euros I voted Conservative when Roger Helmer was at the top of the Conservative list.

It's the only vote in my life that I would cast differently now if given the chance to go back in time and do so. I can't even plead the benefits of hindsight as I knew well enough back then that Helmer holds views which I find repugnant. My pencil hovered for a while - but in the end my wish to see my vote fall into the pro-Cameron column, a year before the GE, won out over my strong dislike of Helmer's personal politics.

• Options

Mr. Owl, economic demographics is a perfectly sensible phrase. Not as superb as differential front end grip, of course, but what is?

So true.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    The FT/Populus mega poll is kinda out

You need to google search "Age and class divide opens up in British electorate" to get the FT piece for free.

The figures show that while Labour has increased its support among certain groups since it lost the 2010 election, it has made no headway at all among others.

Labour has lost 8 percentage points among over-65s since 2010, for example, a group the Conservatives have targeted with tailor-made policies, such as ringfencing pensioner benefits and giving them more control over their pension pots.

The Tories have held their support among the elderly, and even won voters away from Labour, something that will worry opposition strategists, given that older people are more likely to vote.

Labour has surged, however, among younger voters, fuelled largely by the collapse of support for the Liberal Democrats among this group. The Lib Dems have lost nearly a fifth of their supporters aged between 18 and 24 following the party’s U-turn on tuition fees, while backing for Labour has risen by 16 points among the young.

The overall figures show the Tories on 34 points, unchanged since last month, while Labour has dropped one point to 36 per cent, giving further evidence that the gap between the two has closed since the beginning of the year.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/58f03364-d208-11e3-8b5b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz30pfUZKvf
  • Options
    Doing some 'research' for a blog ranting about historical revisionism and discovered the name of the last King of Yorkshire. Anyone fancy a guess?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    NB I'm writing tomorrow's article now. I've already got a classical allusion that Morris Dancer will, hopefully, appreciate and a pun that even TSE would wince at.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Doing some 'research' for a blog ranting about historical revisionism and discovered the name of the last King of Yorkshire. Anyone fancy a guess?

Jessie?

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420

And this troll claims to be a mathematician? No wonder his [former] expenses failed to conform to a linear norm...!

:tromso-watch:
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, is it about Yorkshire?

Mr. Dave, thou art a bloody fool.
  • Options
    Newark is also coalfield country I believe. Likely to have methane underground, and be a fracking target of Lord Brown, former chair of BP, who is David Cameron's fracking tsar. Methane once fracked seeps into water, and out into air, where it lingers, acting as a neurotoxin, a DNA disruptor and an endocrine disruptor, killing people and animals. That's why it's banned in France.
  • Options

The FT/Populus mega poll is kinda out

You need to google search "Age and class divide opens up in British electorate" to get the FT piece for free.

The findings strengthen the conclusion that the surging anti-EU party is not so much the party of “Tories in exile” as the party representing the “left behind” – voters who are poor, poorly educated and feel alienated from the political mainstream.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    antifrank said:

taffys said:

I blush. But I mostly live in London, within a short walk of Dirty Dicks!

Hungary is my holiday home, which I visit about once every six weeks. I'll next be going in a couple of weeks.
    Would you recommend any hungarian recipes?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Tapestry said:

A couple of years ago I walked past a couple of nodding donkeys on an old airfield at Fiskerton, to the northeast of Lincoln.

They always seem a strange sight in the UK.

As an aside, the Wytch farm oilwells seem really well disguised; you'd hardly know they were there in some cases. ?BP? did a really good job setting them up.
    I agree. I always find it remarkable whenever I drive along the high road above the valley heading for Studland Bay to look down into the valley and see nothing but woodland. You would never know there was the largest onshore oil field in Europe right in front of your eyes.

Edit - and in answer to your question it is now operated by Perenco.
This discussion has been closed.