Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : May 9th 2013

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : May 9th 2013

After all the excitement of last Thursday, which saw the worst Conservative performance in a set of local elections since 1995 (25% national projected vote share), Labour make no change on their 2010 local election performance (29% national projected vote share), the Liberal Democrats see thirty three years of local election advances wiped out (14% national projected vote share, only 1% higher…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2013
    UKIP have high hopes for a win at Longbridge tonight. And First?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Longbridge, not too far away from me!
  • Options

Longbridge, not too far away from me!

A bit to late in the day to go out and pound the pavements, Sunil. ;)

• Options
    @MikeK

Yes, that's true! But then again, it is Barking (only kidding)!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MikeK said:

With the latent BNP vote, not impossible if the Tories en masse go over to the kippers.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    A good round up by Harry on the 4 byelections . My one comment is that the apparent Conservative recovery in Oldham Alexandra in 2012 was down to Asian politics . Expect them to fall back heavily in this byelection as they are not fielding an Asian candidate .
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    surbiton said:

MikeK said:

With the latent BNP vote, not impossible if the Tories en masse go over to the kippers.
    If UKIP win, it will be because they got Labour voters to switch.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MikeK said:

I doubt it , should be a comfortable Labour hold but UKIP should win the Cliftonville seat as they gained one of the 2 seats in the ( much ) larger CC seat last week .

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2013

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

UKIP's appeal to Old Labour voters is something that New Labour creatures , like absurbiton , find beyond their ken. They're reduced to shreeking B.N.P.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

Yes I think you're right there, Dave. It will take more than a BNP/Tory switchover for UKIP to take the seat. It'll be an interesting look at east London voting patterns.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Cliftonville should be the interesting one ! Three cornered.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,975
    FPT, RCS

"And if it's cheaper for us to import electricity than make our own we should. Otherwise we are disadvantaging businesses that are electricity users.

Free trade is free trade.

My basic contention is that we are not about to suffer brownouts and rationing. Trust me, there are few subjects I am an expert on, but I've financed quite a few power stations, and this is something I'm pretty comfortable talking about with a degree of knowledge."

No, there are other reasons to generate our own electricity and not rely on imports. The phrase 'energy security' has several meanings, one of which is security of supply. Our reliance on Middle East oil has had exacerbated, if not caused, many problems over the years. A reliance on French (or Irish, or German) electricity would be just as bad. It would leave us at a strategic disadvantage; what could we do if, say, they decided to double the price overnight? That may not happen, but the mere threat of even minor increases would put us at a disadvantage in any negotiations.

We need the capability to create and generate as much power as we can ourselves within the UK. Having our own power stations, and a diversified generation system (i.e. coal/oil/gas/nuclear/wind/tidal) means we are not just reliant on one country for the supplies.

As for the financing; these plants are only marginally economic. Changes to tariffs, and addition of green tariffs, have made at least one gas-fired plants uneconomic, and led to closure. Incidentally, this was a plant I worked on (in a very small way) when it was under construction in the early 1990s. People are stripping it out as I type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derwent_Power_Station

The power companies need to know that they will get a return on their investment. The current trend of following green idiocy (as exemplified by Ed Miliband amongst others) does not give them that, and stops investment dead.

The companies need to know that another Large Combustion Plant Directive is not going to land on their laps.

And another article about a possible crunch: http://www.energyglobal.com/news/coal/articles/The_UK_faces_capacity_crunch_as_coal_fired_power_plants_close_132.aspx

You may be an expert, but I won't trust your word over OFGEM's.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Ftp:

Didcot B is not a 1.3gw behemoth. It consists of two plants, each of which has two turbines.

Irrespective, I'm bored of arguing with people who don't actually know anything about electrical generation.

If you are all so confident of the looming electricity shortage predicted by UKIP, then take me up on one of my bets:

- brownouts and rationing in 2015 (so far, no takers)
    - electricity prices above current levels in 2016 (in real terms, one taker Socrates)
  • Options

FPT, RCS

"And if it's cheaper for us to import electricity than make our own we should. Otherwise we are disadvantaging businesses that are electricity users.

Free trade is free trade.

My basic contention is that we are not about to suffer brownouts and rationing. Trust me, there are few subjects I am an expert on, but I've financed quite a few power stations, and this is something I'm pretty comfortable talking about with a degree of knowledge."

No, there are other reasons to generate our own electricity and not rely on imports. The phrase 'energy security' has several meanings, one of which is security of supply. Our reliance on Middle East oil has had exacerbated, if not caused, many problems over the years. A reliance on French (or Irish, or German) electricity would be just as bad. It would leave us at a strategic disadvantage; what could we do if, say, they decided to double the price overnight? That may not happen, but the mere threat of even minor increases would put us at a disadvantage in any negotiations.

We need the capability to create and generate as much power as we can ourselves within the UK. Having our own power stations, and a diversified generation system (i.e. coal/oil/gas/nuclear/wind/tidal) means we are not just reliant on one country for the supplies.

As for the financing; these plants are only marginally economic. Changes to tariffs, and addition of green tariffs, have made at least one gas-fired plants uneconomic, and led to closure. Incidentally, this was a plant I worked on (in a very small way) when it was under construction in the early 1990s. People are stripping it out as I type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derwent_Power_Station

The power companies need to know that they will get a return on their investment. The current trend of following green idiocy (as exemplified by Ed Miliband amongst others) does not give them that, and stops investment dead.

The companies need to know that another Large Combustion Plant Directive is not going to land on their laps.

And another article about a possible crunch: http://www.energyglobal.com/news/coal/articles/The_UK_faces_capacity_crunch_as_coal_fired_power_plants_close_132.aspx

You may be an expert, but I won't trust your word over OFGEM's.

Come on Josias, bet me 100 quid on both my bts

• Options
    So, are you telling me I shouldn't be allowed to buy French electricity if it's cheaper than English?

Also, as French and German power companies are commercial entities, they will sell power at whatever price makes them a profit.

Your argument is akin to saying "we should grow all our own food just in case in foreigners decide to double the prices."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ftp:

Didcot B is not a 1.3gw behemoth. It consists of two plants, each of which has two turbines.

Irrespective, I'm bored of arguing with people who don't actually know anything about electrical generation.

If you are all so confident of the looming electricity shortage predicted by UKIP, then take me up on one of my bets:

- electricity prices above current levels in 2016 (in real terms, one taker Socrates)

I hope you're not implying that I know nothing about electrical generation...

OFGEM give brownouts and cut-offs in that period a 1 in 12 chance (*), before the latest closure and opening announcements.

I'd say 1 in 12 is far too high for a bet, but far too low for the security of the country. You won't get any takers without odds much higher than evens.

Additionally, I'm quoting from OFGEM and other official documents. You are just appealing to your own authority and knowledge. You might be right; I think you're being far too over-optimistic.

But at the end of the day, I hope you're right. If my fears are realised there're gong to be lots of problems. Which is why we should be doing everything feasible to avoid them.

(*) Executive summary of OFGEM document I linked too earlier.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Thanet has been tipped strongly on this board as fertile ground for UKIP. Interesting to see how they do there.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    tim said:

Flagship policy.

No matter how crap Clegg gets... he's never going to match Brown.

Or Miliband.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

So, are you telling me I shouldn't be allowed to buy French electricity if it's cheaper than English?

Also, as French and German power companies are commercial entities, they will sell power at whatever price makes them a profit.

Your argument is akin to saying "we should grow all our own food just in case in foreigners decide to double the prices."

You are forgetting government interference and other issues. For instance, the majority of French power is nuclear generated. A Fukushima or similar event could lead to shortages in France. And if that happens, the first thing any sane government would do is reduce supplies to other countries. And there are many other similar possible scenarios.

We are not under any imminent threat of invasion, yet we still maintain a military, as does virtually every other country on Earth. We do this *just in case* any number of possible event occur. The same is true of our energy security.

You also trivialise the cost of creating the interconnectors that couldprovide that much power. ISTR the current capacity is 2GW - a drop in the ocean.

I have never heard anyone seriously suggest that we rely on the continent for our electricity generation!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Ftp:

OFGEM give brownouts and cut-offs in that period a 1 in 12 chance (*), before the latest closure and opening announcements.

I'd say 1 in 12 is far too high for a bet, but far too low for the security of the country. You won't get any takers without odds much higher than evens.

Additionally, I'm quoting from OFGEM and other official documents. You are just appealing to your own authority and knowledge. You might be right; I think you're being far too over-optimistic.

But at the end of the day, I hope you're right. If my fears are realised there're gong to be lots of problems. Which is why we should be doing everything feasible to avoid them.

I was actually referring to nigel4england. Personally, I suspect some of the planned closures will be delayed, and that we'll see quite a few new CCGTs pass planning this year. It's worth noting that the long-dated electricity markets don't forecast any significant tightening, and that OFGEM has been notoriously pessimistic in the past. If I recall, the 2008 forecast was that we'd see quite a tight electricity market right now, when actually reserve margins and spark spreads both tell you the opposite.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If there are a few years with really bad harvest and an overall deficit in world food production, I'd rather live in a country which grew enough food to feed its population than a country that relied on imports (and ran an overall trade deficit).

Suppose the French have a Fukushima situation on their hands. Will they turn the electricity off for London, or Paris?

Security of supply matters.
  • Options

I have never heard anyone seriously suggest that we rely on the continent for our electricity generation!

Actually, my view is that 'the market will provide', and will do so much more cheaply and efficiently when left alone than when we concern ourselves with long-term government planning. If we start trying to have enough backup capacity to cover all eventualities, then that will all need to be paid for, and we will all pay more for our electricity than otherwise.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Really cool link to help you monitor your Electricity related bets.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Options
    @Jonathan, that is *so* cool, I love it
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If there are a few years with really bad harvest and an overall deficit in world food production, I'd rather live in a country which grew enough food to feed its population than a country that relied on imports (and ran an overall trade deficit).
    I've got bad news. We grow nowhere near enough food to support our population. I think we import about 40% or so of our calories - and have done so for about the last 150 years.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    Labour has a mountain to climb to win the next election outright, and is still failing to chalk up big enough leads on image or leadership to make it likely to secure an overall majority, according to polling which will be put to a Labour conference to be addressed this weekend by Ed Miliband.

The YouGov polling, commissioned by Progress, suggests the party is still seen as "nice" but incapable of taking tough decisions. Miliband's personal ratings have hardly improved over the past year.

In an article for Progress, the New Labour pressure group, the YouGov president, Peter Kellner, describes the polling as "profoundly troubling" for Labour, saying that despite the unpopularity of the government, Labour has uncomfortably small leads and has been unable to generate wide public enthusiasm.

He writes: "The central fact is that no successful opposition in the past 50 years has gone on to regain power with such a weak image and without achieving much bigger voting-intention leads at some point in the parliament."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/09/labour-election-victory-2015-distant-prospect?mobile-redirect=false
  • Options
    On topic, thanks again for this Harry.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Ftp:

I was actually referring to nigel4england. Personally, I suspect some of the planned closures will be delayed, and that we'll see quite a few new CCGTs pass planning this year. It's worth noting that the long-dated electricity markets don't forecast any significant tightening, and that OFGEM has been notoriously pessimistic in the past. If I recall, the 2008 forecast was that we'd see quite a tight electricity market right now, when actually reserve margins and spark spreads both tell you the opposite.
    "Personally, I suspect some of the planned closures will be delayed,"

Won't happen without dramatic cost implications. They are life-expiring the plant as we type, and you cannot get replacement kit off the shelf. (As I have said before, one plant had several turbines go in a rather interesting way. They had to fly in a spare from an identical plant in the US. It was flown in the back of an Antonov to Prestwick, and then taken south by road. They were very fortunate there was a spare available as the lead time was many months. And that plant was only a decade old - the kit is no longer made for older plants).

As for new power plants; they take time. Any large ones that get planning this year will sadly not be in operation before 2015.

I'd also be interested in OFGEM's 2008 estimates; ISTR (although could be wrong) that they've talked about the 2015 timeframe since 2002.

And the problem with the market is that governments do not leave alone. The Large Combustion Plant Directive fortunately only effected old plants that were nearing their life expiration. However, operators are concerned that the EU or government will throw another spanner in the works for other plants.

The LCPD has worried them immensely. Some idiot listening to the green lobby (or a luvvie actor) could wipe out their profits in the swipe of a pen. They've made their money on old plants. The uncertainty is on some similar idiocy to LCPD happening on new plants.
  • Options
    Off topic. I have seen Star Trek Into Darkness four times today.

Just saying.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    rcs1000 said:

Ftp:

Didcot B, 1360 MW. You can get the info from RWEs website. Aggrekos largest diesel generator is 2.1 MVA,about 1680 KW. You can do the rest, it's hardly a hundred sets to replace a complete power station. Maybe 1000.
  • Options
    Kellner suggests that Miliband may be holding back party support. When voter are asked if they would prefer a Labour government led by Ed Miliband or a Conservative government led by David Cameron, the two options are level pegging: Labour 41%, Conservative 40%.

The polling also shows that by a margin of 50-35 points, voters regard Labour as "nice" – but by a larger, 61-24, margin, also as "dim". Most people consider the Tories both "mean" and "dim"; but more people regard the Tories as "smart" than say the same about Labour.
  • Options

Just saying.

Don't you mean Star Trek Into Crapness?

(only kidding! I come in peace!)
  • Options
    TheWatcher:

Nevertheless, Didcot B consists of two separate generation plants, each with two turbines. So, short of a major terrorist incident, you'd only lose around a quarter of capacity. And even if we did have a major terrorist incident, we'd still (at today's capacity utilisation rates) have 8,7GW of spare capacity.

Why is no-one keen to take me up on my bet?

(BTW, if you want to to have enough capacity to meet every eventuality, you will need to pay more for your electricity.)
  • Options

Just saying.

Everyone will love it, Spock has 'tude, and you get to see Alice Eve in her undies in 3D.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I've seen that before, and it's brilliant, a truly superb mashup and representation of open data. BMReports is useful, but broken on Chrome, and slow on IE.

I am surprised wind is so high at the moment - I thought it was usually around the 1-1.5GW mark.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Rcs100, did you ever work for Enron?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I've seen that before, and it's brilliant, a truly superb mashup and representation of open data. BMReports is useful, but broken on Chrome, and slow on IE.

I am surprised wind is so high at the moment - I thought it was usually around the 1-1.5GW mark.
    Probably because it's a very windy day today!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, isn't that just the standard party stereotype though>?

Labour = nice but dim

Conservatives = competent but horrid

F1: remember, kids, P1 is on BBC2 at 9am.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Probably because it's a very windy day today!
    Well, I did have beans for dinner.

Oh, you mean outside!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Miliband is a huge drag on ticket shock !!!

The Uk would never have voted for PM Brown - they wontt vote for his son either.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Looks like a poll commissioned by Dan Hodges.

Labour has a mountain to climb to win the next election outright, and is still failing to chalk up big enough leads on image or leadership to make it likely to secure an overall majority, according to polling which will be put to a Labour conference to be addressed this weekend by Ed Miliband.

The YouGov polling, commissioned by Progress, suggests the party is still seen as "nice" but incapable of taking tough decisions. Miliband's personal ratings have hardly improved over the past year.

In an article for Progress, the New Labour pressure group, the YouGov president, Peter Kellner, describes the polling as "profoundly troubling" for Labour, saying that despite the unpopularity of the government, Labour has uncomfortably small leads and has been unable to generate wide public enthusiasm.

He writes: "The central fact is that no successful opposition in the past 50 years has gone on to regain power with such a weak image and without achieving much bigger voting-intention leads at some point in the parliament."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/09/labour-election-victory-2015-distant-prospect?mobile-redirect=false

• Options

Good evening, everyone.

Labour = nice but dim

F1: remember, kids, P1 is on BBC2 at 9am.

It's this bit that stands out

He adds: "No opposition could be happy with the fact that, when the economy is flatlining, just one person in three thinks it [the Labour party] would take the right decisions to secure greater prosperity.
  • Options
    @Old Labour

You maybe shocked and surprised that Dan Hodges tweeted that poll to OGH.
  • Options

Rcs100, did you ever work for Enron?

No, I never worked for Enron. But I have invested in a number of power projects over the years. And I know that the major generating companies have pretty detailed forecasts looking at all eventualities. I know most of them have CCGTs planned. I also know that there are a couple of CCGTs that have been sold in the UK for below replacement cost which hardly indicates great confidence that the electricity price will rise.
  • Options
    This link gives more info, but does not have graphics.
    http://www.bmreports.com/bsp/bsp_home.htm
    Jonathan said:

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hair of the squirrel from Tim .

Ed is crap : OFFICIAL !
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2013
    There is a serious crisis within the Conservative Party, of that there can now be no doubt. It appears that several MPs intend to table an amendment to the humble Address, regretting that there was no proposal in the Speech from the Throne for a referendum on continued membership of the European Union. It appears that the Speaker intends to select the amendment under SO/23. The historical precedent is clear on this. A vote to amend the humble Address is a vote of no-confidence in Her Majesty's Government, and the last time one was carried the result was the fall of Baldwin Ministry in 1924 [HC Deb 21 January 1924, vol. 169, cols 532 & 674-686]. It demonstrates that Her Majesty's Government will not be able to carry its legislative program for the Session ahead. Can a serious number of Conservative MPs really be contemplating a vote which has historically expressed no confidence in Her Majesty's Government? More to the point, if Labour were to vote for this amendment, it could well be the end for Cameron...
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Good evening, everyone.

Labour = nice but dim

What the poll actually says is that most people think the Tories are mean AND dim.

Superb combo.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Healey: case for leaving Europe stronger than staying

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/healey-case-for-leaving-europe-stronger-than-staying/2494

@tim your political hero wants out = lol
  • Options

@Old Labour

Amazing. Presumably he saw the positives therein for Ed Miliband?
  • Options
    IIRC, Hodges is a member of Progress.

@Old Labour

• Options

Kellner suggests that Miliband may be holding back party support. When voter are asked if they would prefer a Labour government led by Ed Miliband or a Conservative government led by David Cameron, the two options are level pegging: Labour 41%, Conservative 40%.

The polling also shows that by a margin of 50-35 points, voters regard Labour as "nice" – but by a larger, 61-24, margin, also as "dim". Most people consider the Tories both "mean" and "dim"; but more people regard the Tories as "smart" than say the same about Labour.

rcs1000 said:

TheWatcher:

Nevertheless, Didcot B consists of two separate generation plants, each with two turbines. So, short of a major terrorist incident, you'd only lose around a quarter of capacity. And even if we did have a major terrorist incident, we'd still (at today's capacity utilisation rates) have 8,7GW of spare capacity.

(BTW, if you want to to have enough capacity to meet every eventuality, you will need to pay more for your electricity.)

The hysteria about energy cutouts should be filed in the same draw as swine flu, bird flu and all the f--ing rest of them.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

@Old Labour

Of course.

I got worried when he tweeted my recent Ed is Crap (Blairites edition) thread approvingly.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2013

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/healey-case-for-leaving-europe-stronger-than-staying/2494

Healy “I wouldn’t object strongly to leaving the EU. The advantages of being members of the union are not obvious. The disadvantages are very obvious. I can see the case for leaving – the case for leaving is stronger than for staying in.”

The true voice of Old Labour has spoken , let the New Labour impostors repent or suffer the wrath of judgement.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

@Old Labour

Of course.

I got worried when he tweeted my recent Ed is Crap (Blairites edition) thread approvingly.
    Your thread would have shaken the very foundations of a desirable townhouse in Primrose Hill, it being an unmitigated disaster for Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

There is a serious crisis within the Conservative Party, of that there can now be no doubt. It appears that several MPs intend to table an amendment to the humble Address, regretting that there was no proposal in the Speech from the Throne for a referendum on continued membership of the European Union. It appears that the Speaker intends to select the amendment under SO/23. The historical precedent is clear on this. A vote to amend the humble Address is a vote of no-confidence in Her Majesty's Government, and the last time one was carried the result was the fall of Baldwin Ministry in 1924 [HC Deb 21 January 1924, vol. 169, cols 532 & 674-686]. It demonstrates that Her Majesty's Government will not be able to carry its legislative program for the Session ahead. Can a serious number of Conservative MPs really be contemplating a vote which has historically expressed no confidence in Her Majesty's Government? More to the point, if Labour were to vote for this amendment, it could well be the end for Cameron...

Doubt it: they would just reverse the amendment or call a formal vote on no confidence.

If they didn't just ignore it: sadly this generation of politicians have little respect of the Constitution.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301

Labour supporters must be in despair. If only Miliband had gone for the in/out referendum that his spinners were hyping all those months ago. Imagine the havoc Labour could be wreaking now! Alas, Miliband got cold feet when Toynbee, White etc. gave him a stern dressing down in the Guardian. Now Labour are stuck with this dud, this anaemic Europhile, and there's nothing they can do about it. It's such a shame...
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

rcs1000 said:

TheWatcher:

The hysteria about energy cutouts should be filed in the same draw as swine flu, bird flu and all the f--ing rest of them.

So you disbelieve the several OFGEM reports into it, then?
  • Options

Just saying.

Everyone will love it, Spock has 'tude, and you get to see Alice Eve in her undies in 3D.
    Yebbut even so, there can be only one Captain Kirk - Bill Shatner!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So Ed is a drag on the ticket...

That noise you can hear is Transatlantic laughter
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited May 2013
    Three ex chancellors and an ex showdown chancellor lukewarm or want out. Who's next? Mind you old Denis' conversion to apparent Tuetonic style fiscal rectitude is a laugh for those of us who remember the 70's....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Oh, and thanks to Mr Hayfield for his regular slot. It'll be interesting to see if the UKIPalypse has ended, or only just begun.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

rcs1000 said:

TheWatcher:

So you disbelieve the several OFGEM reports into it, then?
    If disbelieving means am I worried that it will actually happen, then yes, I disbelieve. It's Ofgem's job to put the wind up suppliers so it doesn't happen.

• Options
    chrisshipitv Boris: leaving the EU would be a "shot in the arm" for Britain. On @itvnews next
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    New day, new Berlusconi trial requested? This guy's phenomenal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22473862
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Oh, and thanks to Mr Hayfield for his regular slot. It'll be interesting to see if the UKIPalypse has ended, or only just begun.

Time will tell if Cameron is Honorius and UKIP are the Visigoths.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Does anyone else have a problem posting on an I phone? I'm finding it difficult pressing the " post" or " edit" button because I've got a bloody kangaroo staring at me advertising Australia from an online ad. Now I'm well aware OGH needs ads and I've nothing against fluffy marsupials but it would help if it could hop off to somewhere not at the top right of my screen.
  • Options

chrisshipitv Boris: leaving the EU would be a "shot in the arm" for Britain. On @itvnews next

Really not sure why the Tories are so determined to destroy themselves yet again over Europe. No Government will withdraw from the EU, so all this sabre-rattling achieves is even more division in the party, destabilising Cameron. No wonder Boris is up to it...
  • Options

Labour supporters must be in despair. If only Miliband had gone for the in/out referendum that his spinners were hyping all those months ago. Imagine the havoc Labour could be wreaking now! Alas, Miliband got cold feet when Toynbee, White etc. gave him a stern dressing down in the Guardian. Now Labour are stuck with this dud, this anaemic Europhile, and there's nothing they can do about it. It's such a shame...
    Not really. If there's one thing worse than being pro Europe, it's being anti Europe.

• Options
    Brilliant news for the SNP. Eck is a strategic genius...

@afneil: Poll coming out showing young Scots 3 to 1 against independence. Way above average. Reducing voting could have been a mistake for Nats.
  • Options

He,he!

• Options
    tim said:

@chrisshipitv: Boris: leaving the EU would be a "shot in the arm" for Britain. On @itvnews next

@JoelTaylorMetro: Boris has made his boldest challenge to PM on Europe (no surprise). Tories getting engulfed by EU issue again. Really doubt PM is 'relaxed'

Dave needs a speech on Europe to calm all of this down

The genie is well and truly out of the bottle. You would have thought that the Tories might have learnt something from the 1990s.
  • Options

Boris is the best!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bobajob said:

Really not sure why the Tories are so determined to destroy themselves yet again over Europe. No Government will withdraw from the EU, so all this sabre-rattling achieves is even more division in the party, destabilising Cameron. No wonder Boris is up to it...
    No Government will withdraw from the EU

But the people will.
  • Options

UKIP = Picard, EU = Borg?
  • Options

Nah, Locutus = EU
  • Options

Bobajob said:

No Government will withdraw from the EU

But the people will.
    Unlikely. A in/out referendum would return an In vote.

• Options

UKIP = Picard,EU = Borg and labour -can you tell the difference between them ;-)

Corrected it for you ;-)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

George Osborne is offering a hair of the dog that bit us
    The Chancellor George Osborne wants a mini-boom to restore growth, but that’s what got us into this mess

By Jeremy Warner7:52PM BST 09 May 2013

Nowhere is this more apparent than in Britain, where the Chancellor, George Osborne, desperate for some growth, is attempting to engineer some kind of mini-boom ahead of the election two years hence.
    Plan A on restoring the public finances was all but abandoned some while back, when the Government determined to ignore its debt reduction target in response to slow growth, leaving the deficit firmly stuck at around £120 billion a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/10046572/George-Osborne-is-offering-a-hair-of-the-dog-that-bit-us.html

A Benn-like strategist, splitting the right, a Barber-like Chancellor desperate to arrange a boom.

Jeremy Warner, as ever, is all hit and miss and this article was a definite miss.

There is no evidence at all the Osborne has abandoned his deficit elimination and debt ratio reduction targets. The deficit reduction target remains within Osborne's primary fiscal mandate and the supplementary target of reducing Public Sector Net Debt to GDP ratio is only delayed on a forecast which makes no allowance for sales of bank shares (inter alia).

The phasing of deficit reduction was back loaded in the OBR's March EFO forecast, with the underlying deficit estimated to remain stable at around £120bn for two years. However this OBR forecast was outdated even on the day it was issued.

ONS Public Finance figures show that the underlying deficit fell at its most rapid level last fiscal year in the final quarter (2013 Q1). It subsequently became known that growth over this quarter was 0.3%, an annual rate of 1.2%.

With the OBR forecasting 0.6% for the whole of 2013, half the current and accelerating rate of growth, then it is clear that the OBR will need to make substantial revisions to both their growth and deficit reduction forecasts when they next report in June.

The other important point to make is that the "underlying deficit" is an artificial construct which does not reflect true accrued or cash net borrowing. Due to special interventions (Post Office pension assets etc etc) the actual net amount borrowed last fiscal year was £86 bn not £120 bn. This means real borrowing costs (interest paid on gilts issued) will be far less than the headline deficit of £120 bn implies.

Set against the above is that the final quarter of a fiscal year can deliver unreliable ongoing figures for receipts, expenses and borrowing due to movements of transactions across the year end boundary. It is clear that this happened both from the 'miraculous' close undershoot of all key targets and the comments made by the OBR on March's public finances bulletin.

The problem for sceptics though is that all the indications are that the government finances were better rather than worse than stated in March. Still we need to wait for follow up bulletins before taking this as fact.

In summary, the next OBR EFO is likely to forecast substantial reductions in the 'underlying deficit' over 2013-15 in place of the flat-lining predicted in March, Similarly they will substantially uprate short term growth forecasts in light of current known growth rates.

All this will show that the government under Osborne as Chancellor has not "ignored its debt reduction target" as stated by Warner. As his whole article depends on this assumption it is probably best to disregard it in its entirety.

• Options

The genie is well and truly out of the bottle. You would have thought that the Tories might have learnt something from the 1990s.

And yet they go on.

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

• Options

Nah, Locutus = EU
    "He will make an excellent drone Europhile!"

:)
  • Options
    nicholaswatt Grandee on grandee. Sir Malcolm Rifkind: Nigel Lawson's call for UK to leave EU = hand grenade in small building bit.ly/15PMuEt 24 seconds ago · reply · retweet · favorite

politicshomeuk Tory Peter Luff tells World Tonight it's "worrying" that pro-EU Tories are reluctant to speak. “It is the love that dare not speak its name”

Blue on blue ;-)
  • Options
    tim said:

Jonathan said:

tim said:

@chrisshipitv: Boris: leaving the EU would be a "shot in the arm" for Britain. On @itvnews next

@JoelTaylorMetro: Boris has made his boldest challenge to PM on Europe (no surprise). Tories getting engulfed by EU issue again. Really doubt PM is 'relaxed'

The Tories can't do discipline, that's one reason why it's such a mistake for Cameron to draw from such a narrow social and class circle, encourages dozens of his backbenchers to believe they haven't a chance of promotion under the chumocracy.
    Not sure this EU exit rhetoric is going to go down well with Tory MPs when they realise they will have to get a visa to visit their place in the Dordogne. The queues at the channel tunnel will be a sight.
  • Options

nicholaswatt Grandee on grandee. Sir Malcolm Rifkind: Nigel Lawson's call for UK to leave EU = hand grenade in small building bit.ly/15PMuEt 24 seconds ago · reply · retweet · favorite

politicshomeuk Tory Peter Luff tells World Tonight it's "worrying" that pro-EU Tories are reluctant to speak. “It is the love that dare not speak its name”

Blue on blue ;-)

Cue Hezza, Clarke and all out war?

• Options
    Guess what the main question is about on QT tonight. You guessed it: UKIP!
  • Options
    tim said:

Jonathan said:

tim said:

The Tories can't do discipline, that's one reason why it's such a mistake for Cameron to draw from such a narrow social and class circle, encourages dozens of his backbenchers to believe they haven't a chance of promotion under the chumocracy.
    I doubt even the most pessimistic Tory-watcher would have expect this bloody show rearing its head yet again less than two years to a general election. Quite incredible.

• Options

Seems fairly sensible. People don't like hearing the EU praised, especially when we and the EU are doing so poorly, but they appear to be doing even worse. Even the pro-arguments have to carefully explain away the bad things about membership as worth it, whereas UKIP keeps it simple. They could speak up, but they'd be washed away in the current climate.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited May 2013
    Bobajob said:

Really not sure why the Tories are so determined to destroy themselves yet again over Europe.

It is ingrained. Euroscepticism is as totemic to tory MPs as changing the voting system is to the lib dems.

Consider that since Cammie won the leadership tory MPs were told to keep quiet about Europe and let him get on with detox and modernisation. Then the election campaign made that silence even more imperative and for the most part they complied since power was tantalisingly close. There were dangerous rumblings in the gap between the election and formation of the coalition but once the coalition had been cemented and the agreement signed tory MPs were too busy contemplating power to do much grumbling about Europe.

Then the Eurocrisis happened. The was the moment most Eurosceptics had been waiting on for decades and they were determined to bang on about it and win more converts. Cammie let them blow off a bit and they had their rebellion but any excessive noises and disunity were still usually a bodyblow for an ambitious MP. So the posturing began. The flounce to the speech, anything to shut them up. They do not want to shut up though. They want to bang on about Europe and posture on it far more than Cammie will ever be comfortable with because they look at Farage and UKIP with fear and envy. What if the UKIP vote doesn't disappear and hits them in the marginals? If only they could bang on about Europe as freely and as strongly? If only that UKIP vote could be transferred en mass to the tories?

Sooner or later this gets to IN or OUT and the tory party will have to put it's cards on the table and decide which it wants to be.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

The Chancellor George Osborne wants a mini-boom to restore growth, but that’s what got us into this mess

Nowhere is this more apparent than in Britain, where the Chancellor, George Osborne, desperate for some growth, is attempting to engineer some kind of mini-boom ahead of the election two years hence.
    Plan A on restoring the public finances was all but abandoned some while back, when the Government determined to ignore its debt reduction target in response to slow growth, leaving the deficit firmly stuck at around £120 billion a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/10046572/George-Osborne-is-offering-a-hair-of-the-dog-that-bit-us.html

A Benn-like strategist, splitting the right, a Barber-like Chancellor desperate to arrange a boom.

Jeremy Warner, as ever, is all hit and miss and this article was a definite miss.

There is no evidence at all the Osborne has abandoned his deficit elimination and debt ratio reduction targets. The deficit reduction target remains within Osborne's primary fiscal mandate and the supplementary target of reducing Public Sector Net Debt to GDP ratio is only delayed on a forecast which makes no allowance for sales of bank shares (inter alia).

The phasing of deficit reduction was back loaded in the OBR's March EFO forecast, with the underlying deficit estimated to remain stable at around £120bn for two years. However this OBR forecast was outdated even on the day it was issued.

ONS Public Finance figures show that the underlying deficit fell at its most rapid level last fiscal year in the final quarter (2013 Q1). It subsequently became known that growth over this quarter was 0.3%, an annual rate of 1.2%.

With the OBR forecasting 0.6% for the whole of 2013, half the current and accelerating rate of growth, then it is clear that the OBR will need to make substantial revisions to both their growth and deficit reduction forecasts when they next report in June.

The other important point to make is that the "underlying deficit" is an artificial construct which does not reflect true accrued or cash net borrowing. Due to special interventions (Post Office pension assets etc etc) the actual net amount borrowed last fiscal year was £86 bn not £120 bn. This means real borrowing costs (interest paid on gilts issued) will be far less than the headline deficit of £120 bn implies.

Set against the above is that the final quarter of a fiscal year can deliver unreliable ongoing figures for receipts, expenses and borrowing due to movements of transactions across the year end boundary. It is clear that this happened both from the 'miraculous' close undershoot of all key targets and the comments made by the OBR on March's public finances bulletin.

The problem for sceptics though is that all the indications are that the government finances were better rather than worse than stated in March. Still we need to wait for follow up bulletins before taking this as fact.

In summary, the next OBR EFO is likely to forecast substantial reductions in the 'underlying deficit' over 2013-15 in place of the flat-lining predicted in March, Similarly they will substantially uprate short term growth forecasts in light of current known growth rates.

All this will show that the government under Osborne as Chancellor has not "ignored its debt reduction target" as stated by Warner. As his whole article depends on this assumption it is probably best to disregard it in its entirety.

Long-winded spin.

• Options
    On topic, I will never understand how some areas can be one party states. No matter how heavily an area supports one party, the fact that problems will always exist would, one would think, gather together enough in some areas to consistently maintain a couple of seats.

How vicious are the politics in a one party council I wonder? Pretty rough I'd bet, without the ease of standard party labels to divide people.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @jameschappers
    Childcare row getting nasty. Whitehall source: ‘Clegg signed this policy off [but] as tuition fees showed, you just can’t trust the Libs'
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

Long-winded spin.

Complex issues require long answers, or if someone talks long enough they will confuse people into agreeing or not protesting eventually? The voters will decide!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Guess what the main question is about on QT tonight. You guessed it: UKIP!

That even when they don't speak all the politicos are talking about them, is very encouraging for them indeed. It has to simmer down at some point, but UKIPers should savor this time right now.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2013
    Bobajob said:

And yet they go on.

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

Oh dear, Bobajob, you are paying far too much attention to tim.

If you want to learn about the use of house price inflation to create artificial economic booms you need do no more than consult the following table:
    UK   House Price Index [ONS]                  
    UK Eng. Wal. Sco. N.I.

1997 Q1 60.0 58.5 65.4 77.8 67.1
    2002 Feb 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 [Index]
    2007 Oct 184.4 179.2 221.6 225.2 276.7 [Peak]
    2010 Jun 177.1 173.0 210.9 222.1 174.8
    2013 Feb 176.2 173.2 204.9 209.7 136.3

% Increase
    1997-2010 295.2% 296.1% 322.5% 285.5% 260.5% [Gordon]
    2010-2013 -0.5% 0.1% -2.9% -5.9% -22.0% [George]
    Gordon is your master.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    UKIP should win Cliftonville easily. Thanet could well be a UKIP-run local authority, before long.

Longbridge deserves comment. It was the one ward in B & D that often elected Conservative councillors, because it was middle class. 10 years ago, we won a thumping majority in a by-election. Unfortunately, our candidate was a prize chump. He thought he could emigrate to the Phillipines to farm chickens, while returning once every few months, so he could claim his allowance. Unsurprisingly, we did badly in 2006. Since then, White flight has made this a safe Labour seat. UKIP might well win seats in Dagenham, but Barking is now as solid as Newham for Labour.

Alexandra is safe Labour.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I've got bad news. We grow nowhere near enough food to support our population. I think we import about 40% or so of our calories - and have done so for about the last 150 years.
    I'm well aware of that, and it hasn't been a problem for the country while it has been top of the pile economically and as agricultural science has stayed ahead of population growth.

With global warming throwing a spanner into the food growing works at the same time as our relative wealth is diminished, the future is not looking quite so good.

I'm pretty sure the Irish produce a food surplus about the same size as our food deficit. I guess we can hope that they've forgiven us for the Famine, eh?
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Bobajob said:

Really not sure why the Tories are so determined to destroy themselves yet again over Europe.

It is ingrained. Euroscepticism is as totemic to tory MPs as changing the voting system is to the lib dems.

Consider that since Cammie won the leadership tory MPs were told to keep quiet about Europe and let him get on with detox and modernisation. Then the election campaign made that silence even more imperative and for the most part they complied since power was tantalisingly close. There were dangerous rumblings in the gap between the election and formation of the coalition but once the coalition had been cemented and the agreement signed tory MPs were too busy contemplating power to do much grumbling about Europe.

Then the Eurocrisis happened. The was the moment most Eurosceptics had been waiting on for decades and they were determined to bang on about it and win more converts. Cammie let them blow off a bit and they had their rebellion but any excessive noises and disunity were still usually a bodyblow for an ambitious MP. So the posturing began. The flounce to the speech, anything to shut them up. They do not want to shut up though. They want to bang on about Europe and posture on it far more than Cammie will ever be comfortable with because they look at Farage and UKIP with fear and envy. What if the UKIP vote doesn't disappear and hits them in the marginals? If only they could bang on about Europe as freely and as strongly? If only that UKIP vote could be transferred en mass to the tories?

Sooner or later this gets to IN or OUT and the tory party will have to put it's cards on the table and decide which it wants to be.

Then they will have to go for IN, or be cast away as a bunch of wild-eyed loons. The CBI and TUC would back IN and the Tories would be completely isolated as a party on the europhobic fringe. In any event, as Cameron is a europhile, it won't happen anyway as he will fight the 2015 GE.
  • Options
    tim said:

A beginners guide to the Tories and Europe.

"Dave Whelan, the Wigan chairman, expressed his anger after the game, saying: "I can't understand why the Millwall fans would fight each other. It just gives football a very, very poor reputation. We know Millwall are tough, their team's tough to play, the supporters are Millwall, Millwall, Millwall … But don't fight each other. I couldn't understand that."

Kenny Jackett, the Millwall manager, said the club were doing all they could to rid themselves of the problem. "We are continuing to progress as a club, that's out greatest challenge. We've worked very hard to try to be trouble-free.""

That's really unfair...
    ... on Millwall.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the Irish produce a food surplus about the same size as our food deficit. I guess we can hope that they've forgiven us for the Famine, eh?

Or we could take it by force? Merely hypothesising potential options in a desperate, nay, apocalyptic scenario of course.
This discussion has been closed.