Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds that a remarkable 45% of the over 60s say they

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited April 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds that a remarkable 45% of the over 60s say they’ll be voting Ukip in the Euros

Probably the most remarkable feature from the latest YouGov Euros poll is the split amongst the 60+ age group – featured in the chart above. As can be seen some 45% of those who expressed a voting intention said UKIP.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2014
    Total sample size was 1,835 so the 60+ age group represented 28.6% of voters in this poll.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/04/25/ukip-move-first-place-euro-elections/
  • Options
    I find it shocking considering nearly 30,000 OAP's die every year from cold due to underfunding whilst immigrant and minority groups get special payments. Even the NHS discriminates in favour of younger immigrants who have never paid or paid very little into it. Our elders also fought for our freedoms can't believe they are happy to five it away to the EU run By Merkel.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    These are the people who would have been aged 22+ when they voted on the referndum question, "Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community (Common Market)?".

To many who felt they were voting for a common trading market and not a federal government based in Brussels whose legislation has primacy over that of the UK Parliament, these people resent the deception of Ted Heath and fellow Europhiles whose policy of omission of many of their objectives, including giving up of UK's fishing rights, are fiercely resented today.

These people also resent the nigh uncontrolled immigration policy of TB and Labour that has resulted in a too rapid and in places an overwhelming culture change and also resent that they were called racists by the political intelligensia who tried to shut down that debate using PC and other methods.

For these people who feel that such policies by politicians who were mainly shielded from the effects of the policies that they imposed on the electorate, they have been waiting for a leader - warts and all - who could voice their long=held sense of injustice and will use this chance to make their voice heard.

However, their vote in 2015 may not stay with UKIP when the UK's internal policies are considered.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I find it shocking considering nearly 30,000 OAP's die every year from cold due to underfunding whilst immigrant and minority groups get special payments. Even the NHS discriminates in favour of younger immigrants who have never paid or paid very little into it. Our elders also fought for our freedoms can't believe they are happy to five it away to the EU run By Merkel.

Sounded like a Daily Mail headline and on checking so it is.. the fact that more people die in winter than in summer is hardly surprising.. to suggest they die " from the cold" is highly misleading and a sort of typical scare story.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Financier said:

To many who felt they were voting for a common trading market and not a federal government based in Brussels whose legislation has primacy over that of the UK Parliament, these people resent the deception of Ted Heath and fellow Europhiles whose policy of omission of many of their objectives, including giving up of UK's fishing rights, are fiercely resented today.

What I don't get about this line of argument is, if the voters were conned by the campaigns over simple, verifiable facts like the contents of the Treaty of Rome last time it was put to a referendum, what makes anyone think they'll be any better at getting to the truth next time around?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Financier said:

What I don't get about this line of argument is, if the voters were conned by the campaigns over simple, verifiable facts like the contents of the Treaty of Rome last time it was put to a referendum, what makes anyone think they'll be any better at getting to the truth next time around?
    To be fair, I don't think there was a wholesale conning going on. Although the seeds of what the EU has developed into were in the Treaties in 1973, most people (including professional politicians and diplomats) didn't really appreciate the way it would change over time.

But it is clear that people voted on an economic community, and we are no longer in solely an economic community. So it is only reasonable to ask for the authority to be revalidated (setting aside the fact that people of my generation never got to vote on it).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    UKIPs policies on cutting back on government expenditure particularly on the NHS will not go down well with this group.

While Europe may irk them, I suspect they are at least as much bothered by non EU immigration and socially conservative issues. This is the last generation that remembers the fifties and sixties.

Another point is selective mortality. These are people who will be three years older in 2017 for the Tory Tory Euro referendum; but will be 7 years older if there is only a referendum after a 2020 election. The youngest will be 72 by that time, and as we know Kippers are disproportionally CDE and lower income, may simply not be around to vote.

Time is not on the kippers side.
    Financier said:

These are the people who would have been aged 22+ when they voted on the referndum question, "Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community (Common Market)?".

These people also resent the nigh uncontrolled immigration policy of TB and Labour that has resulted in a too rapid and in places an overwhelming culture change and also resent that they were called racists by the political intelligensia who tried to shut down that debate using PC and other methods.

For these people who feel that such policies by politicians who were mainly shielded from the effects of the policies that they imposed on the electorate, they have been waiting for a leader - warts and all - who could voice their long=held sense of injustice and will use this chance to make their voice heard.

However, their vote in 2015 may not stay with UKIP when the UK's internal policies are considered.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Voting UKIP in the Euro elections gives the opportunity to poke both Westminster and Brussels in the eye. Without getting Ed Miliband as Prime Minister. What's not to love?

I have said before, come May this year I expect a surprising slice of Old Labour in particular to go UKIP - and a worringly poor result for Labour as the supposed "Govt. in waiting".
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,066
    Off-topic:

Why DNA evidence is only as good as the procedures that surround it:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26324244
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    As I said on the last thread, interest in the Euros is growing generally - about a third of the people I canvass think that it's what I've come about, while a month ago almost everyone assumed (correctly) that it was a general survey of sympathy.

I was opposed to membership under the Treaty of Rome in 1975, for the usual left-wing reasons despite a general sympathy for cross-border cooperation - (1) it locks in a free market, and (2) at that time I felt that Europe would act as a brake on our splendid left-wing policies. Nowadays I feel that (1) is broadly the way of the world for better or worse and (2) au contraire, and I'm not as leftish as I was anyway. I know quite a few others who feel similarly, so the switching since then hasn't all been one way.

Leaving aside personal preference, I think that there would only be a withdrawal vote if the government of the day wanted one or was at least neutral - the polls on how people would vote if Cameron declared he'd got some concessions are pretty clear. The median view seems to be disgruntlement with the EU without a clear wish to pull out.
  • Options

As I said on the last thread, interest in the Euros is growing generally - about a third of the people I canvass think that it's what I've come about, while a month ago almost everyone assumed (correctly) that it was a general survey of sympathy.

I was opposed to membership under the Treaty of Rome in 1975, for the usual left-wing reasons despite a general sympathy for cross-border cooperation - (1) it locks in a free market, and (2) at that time I felt that Europe would act as a brake on our splendid left-wing policies. Nowadays I feel that (1) is broadly the way of the world for better or worse and (2) au contraire, and I'm not as leftish as I was anyway. I know quite a few others who feel similarly, so the switching since then hasn't all been one way.

Leaving aside personal preference, I think that there would only be a withdrawal vote if the government of the day wanted one or was at least neutral - the polls on how people would vote if Cameron declared he'd got some concessions are pretty clear. The median view seems to be disgruntlement with the EU without a clear wish to pull out.

I'll bet you're as left as you like to labour voters on the doorstep, its only the friendly and not as left as you think when it comes to the floaters..
  • Options

Which means that the rational thing to do is to use that disgruntlement to improve the terms of the treaty thereby enhancing Britain's national interests...
  • Options
    Off-topic:

The IEA have produced another anti-HS2 report, just in time for today's vote. Let's hope they haven't made idiots of themselves again. But I fear they may.

The report has a line early on
    It is also clear that the capacity of the West Coast Main Line could be increased substantially at a small fraction of the cost of HS2.3
    Urrrm, the last upgrade of that line cost somewhere around £10 billion, (well over estimate), delivered not as much as required, and was late. Worse, it created a decade of misery for passengers on the line. I'd like to know what magic allows them to improve things further, and the answer isn't 51M. Network Rail have also priced many of the alternative schemes and found them lacking (links available on request if you are having trouble sleeping).

There's also a section in the report titled "The Doncaster Syndrome", asking why that town has not benefited from having good links to London for decades. The obvious answer is to look towards their MPs, including a certain Ed Miliband...
    Despite this favourable location (the town also boasts excellent strategic road links and an international airport), Doncaster was ranked 42nd worst out of 318 boroughs in England in the 2010 Index of Multiple Deprivation.
    http://www.iea.org.uk/sites/default/files/in-the-media/files/CCP_HS2_web.pdf
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pretty much my own assessment. The UKIP demographic is not one that has much overlap with Milibands own.

Voting UKIP in the Euro elections gives the opportunity to poke both Westminster and Brussels in the eye. Without getting Ed Miliband as Prime Minister. What's not to love?

I have said before, come May this year I expect a surprising slice of Old Labour in particular to go UKIP - and a worringly poor result for Labour as the supposed "Govt. in waiting".

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    edited April 2014
    I am with Boris on this one: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10791873/Theres-a-simple-solution-to-this-Euro-elections-sham.html

"This Euro-parliament is a failed experiment. Every election, it arouses less and less interest in the people of Europe. Every time we stage this farce, the turn-out goes down.
    With every year of its existence, the Euro-parliament deepens the general suspicion of the public – that the EU is a racket, and that the MEPs are on a gigantic boondoggle."

I have never used the word "boondoggle" but I have been expressing these views on here for long enough. The European Parliament is not only an expensive failure but a major part of the problem in the perception of the EU itself. There is something more than slightly ironic that the main beneficiaries of this farce are a party that apparently wants us to leave the EU altogether. One might speculate about how UKIP would fund itself if it was not ripping off the EU taxpayer.

A representative Parliament with representatives from each of the elected Parliaments of the EU would be a much better organisation. It might even give Scottish back bench MPs something to do in the event of devomax.
  • Options

I'll bet you're as left as you like to labour voters on the doorstep, its only the friendly and not as left as you think when it comes to the floaters..
    I bet he doesn't accuse them of a serious crime when he loses the argument with them ...
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Bravo, magnificent satire, beautifully done.

You were joking right ?

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132

Off-topic:

The IEA have produced another anti-HS2 report, just in time for today's vote. Let's hope they haven't made idiots of themselves again. But I fear they may.

It is also clear that the capacity of the West Coast Main Line could be increased substantially at a small fraction of the cost of HS2.3
    Urrrm, the last upgrade of that line cost somewhere around £10 billion, (well over estimate), delivered not as much as required, and was late. Worse, it created a decade of misery for passengers on the line. I'd like to know what magic allows them to improve things further, and the answer isn't 51M. Network Rail have also priced many of the alternative schemes and found them lacking (links available on request if you are having trouble sleeping).

There's also a section in the report titled "The Doncaster Syndrome", asking why that town has not benefited from having good links to London for decades. The obvious answer is to look towards their MPs, including a certain Ed Miliband...
    Despite this favourable location (the town also boasts excellent strategic road links and an international airport), Doncaster was ranked 42nd worst out of 318 boroughs in England in the 2010 Index of Multiple Deprivation.

Have they decided to build HS2 from the North downwards now ?

Or is is still a London-Birmingham commuter line that's to be built ?

• Options
    Off-topic:

Anyone got any £50 notes under their mattress? If so, spend 'em soon:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27143459

I wish ...
  • Options

I bet he doesn't accuse them of a serious crime when he loses the argument with them ...
    I thought Nick Palmer was a former communist, but his Wikipedia page makes no mention of it that I could see,
  • Options

Off-topic:

The plan is to build both phases, but staggered. That has not changed as far as I'm aware.

The latest detail change was to extend the first phase from Birmingham to link up to the WCML near Crewe (which was planned for phase 2). This will allow fast through services from the northwest to run earlier.

There are problems with building both phases at once in terms of skilled manpower and equipment - it may end up more expensive. And building from the north first is also problematic, especially as it does not address the biggest capacity issue.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Can't find that Mirror Front Page on BBC website this morning. Must be a can of worms for the lawyers.

Re voting intentions, must be some who wondered how it would be possible for the EU to get involved with the removal of some governments in Greece and Italy due to fiscal incontinence.
  • Options

Financier said:

You are thinking in the habit of the internet age. In 1975 (no internet, PCs etc) documents like the Treaty of Rome were not readily available to the electorate, cost money to obtain and were not easily understood and so people relied much more on information that was given to them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles

I've been rather busy these last few days so might have missed that 'statistical rigour' you were going to impress us all with regarding the productivity issue.

You haven't forgotten have you ?

;-)

Doubtless our friend Avery was in ecstasies about the 2014Q1 retail sales reaching yet another all time high.

The ONS provides further data as to where recession and 'austerity' have occurred:

Retail Sales 2014Q1 change from:

2008Q1 +6%
    2004Q1 +18%
    1999Q4 +47%
    1989Q1 +79%

Industrial Production 2014Q1 change from:

2008Q1 -11%
    2004Q1 -12%
    1999Q4 -14%
    1989Q1 -2%

And what is funding the difference:

Government Debt

2014Q1 £1,269bn
    2008Q1 £538bn
    2004Q1 £394bn
    1999Q4 £360bn
    1989Q1 £154bn

With retail sales at record levels, house prices soaring, household borrowing rising again and 'the news getting better and better' as we're told here isn't it time that the government started to 'mend the roof while the sun was shining'.

Or are we going to hit the next recession with over £1.5bn government debt and interest rates still at a 'temporary, emergency' 0.5%.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    dr_spyn said:

Can't find that Mirror Front Page on BBC website this morning. Must be a can of worms for the lawyers.

So far only the Mail and the Mirror's sister paper the Daily Record have taken it up. Today on R4 just went through the papers without mentioning the Mirror story.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited April 2014
    The Herald has Salmond frottaging over Putin - Farage style.

http://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/front-pages.cfm
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

So far only the Mail and the Mirror's sister paper the Daily Record have taken it up. Today on R4 just went through the papers without mentioning the Mirror story.
    I wonder if Danczuk's words (and the odious Tom Watson's) will come back to bite them?

Labour: the real nasty party.
  • Options

Off-topic:

The plan is to build both phases, but staggered. That has not changed as far as I'm aware.

The latest detail change was to extend the first phase from Birmingham to link up to the WCML near Crewe (which was planned for phase 2). This will allow fast through services from the northwest to run earlier.

There are problems with building both phases at once in terms of skilled manpower and equipment - it may end up more expensive. And building from the north first is also problematic, especially as it does not address the biggest capacity issue.

So endless excuses why a project supposed to be for the benefit of northern England actually needs to be built so as to benefit London first.

In a few years you're likely to realise you've been made a fool of when the line north of Birmingham is 'postponed' because of cost overruns and the money thus 'saved' is used instead on a 'more urgent' Crossrail 2.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    TGOHF said:

Note the raised right arm in the photo above Salmond - is he a puppet or worse?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    DavidL said:

I am with Boris on this one: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10791873/Theres-a-simple-solution-to-this-Euro-elections-sham.html

"This Euro-parliament is a failed experiment. Every election, it arouses less and less interest in the people of Europe. Every time we stage this farce, the turn-out goes down.
    With every year of its existence, the Euro-parliament deepens the general suspicion of the public – that the EU is a racket, and that the MEPs are on a gigantic boondoggle."

I have never used the word "boondoggle" but I have been expressing these views on here for long enough. The European Parliament is not only an expensive failure but a major part of the problem in the perception of the EU itself. There is something more than slightly ironic that the main beneficiaries of this farce are a party that apparently wants us to leave the EU altogether. One might speculate about how UKIP would fund itself if it was not ripping off the EU taxpayer.

A representative Parliament with representatives from each of the elected Parliaments of the EU would be a much better organisation. It might even give Scottish back bench MPs something to do in the event of devomax.

David, wishful thinking , the Scottish backbenchers will have had their redundancy by then and no longer exist.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

in fairness, the interview (conducted in March) shows a more nuanced view than the headline:

Asked about Mr Putin, Mr Salmond said: "Well, obviously, I don't approve of a range of Russian actions, but I think Putin's more effective than the press he gets I would have thought, and you can see why he carries support in Russia."

Pressed on whether he admires the Russian leader, the First Minister said: "Certain aspects. He's restored a substantial part of Russian pride and that must be a good thing. There are aspects of Russian constitutionality and the inter-mesh with business and politics that are obviously difficult to admire. Russians are fantastic people, incidentally, they are lovely people."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/salmond-ive-got-some-admiration-for-putin.1398664246
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

Just a good football manager. How dare Salmond actually talk nice about the Tories bogey man. They hate that Putin has a backbone and said the UK was a busted backwater. Just watch the UK grovelling to the Russians this week as they ( UK ) wield their massive clout.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    The 60+ age group high turnout might also boost the UKIP local election vote.Is there any betting market on number of council seats UKIP will gain?My own guess is minimum 500.
  • Options

Off-topic:

So endless excuses why a project supposed to be for the benefit of northern England actually needs to be built so as to benefit London first.

In a few years you're likely to realise you've been made a fool of when the line north of Birmingham is 'postponed' because of cost overruns and the money thus 'saved' is used instead on a 'more urgent' Crossrail 2.

Not endless excuses at all: they're quite short and pithy. What are your counter-arguments?

I may or may not have been made a fool of in a few years. However at least I've looked at the project at various levels and come to my own conclusions.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles

I've been rather busy these last few days so might have missed that 'statistical rigour' you were going to impress us all with regarding the productivity issue.

;-)

Doubtless our friend Avery was in ecstasies about the 2014Q1 retail sales reaching yet another all time high.

The ONS provides further data as to where recession and 'austerity' have occurred:

2008Q1 +6%
    2004Q1 +18%
    1999Q4 +47%
    1989Q1 +79%

2008Q1 -11%
    2004Q1 -12%
    1999Q4 -14%
    1989Q1 -2%

Government Debt

2014Q1 £1,269bn
    2008Q1 £538bn
    2004Q1 £394bn
    1999Q4 £360bn
    1989Q1 £154bn

With retail sales at record levels, house prices soaring, household borrowing rising again and 'the news getting better and better' as we're told here isn't it time that the government started to 'mend the roof while the sun was shining'.

Or are we going to hit the next recession with over £1.5bn government debt and interest rates still at a 'temporary, emergency' 0.5%.

I've pointed out where your analysis is wrong. I'm happy to correct it for you if you want. Where should I send the bill?
  • Options

This looks like a dig at someone (me? Squareroot?) but it's too subtle - I don't know what you're referring to. Too early in the morning for my sleepy eye.

I thought Nick Palmer was a former communist, but his Wikipedia page makes no mention of it that I could see,

I didn't write the Wikipedia page so can't speak for that, but I've never made a secret of it and discussed it on my blog which goes to 4000 homes. These days most people treat past communist views with mild curiosity, as if you said you used to be a Mormon or a hippy, possibly because most people over 60 have had some off-beat ideas at one time or another. I talked about my general outlook in most detail some years ago in what was probably my most-read blog entry as people still refer back to it:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BroxtoweMP/conversations/messages/472

• Options
    Interesting that both Farage and Eck are always bigging up strong men but never strong women.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited April 2014
    malcolmg said:

dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

Just a good football manager. How dare Salmond actually talk nice about the Tories bogey man. They hate that Putin has a backbone and said the UK was a busted backwater. Just watch the UK grovelling to the Russians this week as they wield their massive clout.
    Your fat boy has changed his tune since the interview;

"A spokesman for the First Minster said the interview was conducted before the annexation of the Crimea, adding: "Since then, the Scottish Government has made our position abundantly clear on the illegal annexation, including the decision to withdraw the invitation to the Russian Consul General to the annual Scottish Consular Corps dinner.""

Flip flop Eck, as usual.
  • Options

This looks like a dig at someone (me? Squareroot?) but it's too subtle - I don't know what you're referring to. Too early in the morning for my sleepy eye.
    It's a comment about when you repeatedly accused me of stalking you. Something for which, as far as I'm aware, you have yet to apologise.

I would have thought you would have remembered. I mean, you can't have been proud of it?
  • Options

Off-topic:

Not endless excuses at all: they're quite short and pithy. What are your counter-arguments?

I may or may not have been made a fool of in a few years. However at least I've looked at the project at various levels and come to my own conclusions.

Simple, London lying as usual , they will build the first part to benefit London, using money from the north and Scotland and it will never go beyond Birmingham.
    There will be some good reason why they need more money for London rather than extending it beyond Birmingham.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Remember that this old gits' group is always in flux. As they die off, more join it and take on the mantle of these opinions. And overall, it is growing - we are an ageing population.

So many of them must be former Labour voters, who once they switch may not switch as easily as the optimists think - another characteristic of old age.

And yes, having voted for a trading group, they now find the EU a political group too.

Even if many switch back at the GE, I suspect some of the "PC" stuff is an annoyance. When you're old, you can say what you like without worrying so much about word usage changing. A few months ago, on MOTD, Alan Hansen mentioned a "coloured" player, and faced complaints. He was delivering an anti-racist comment yet still received vilification from a few regular moaners and those determined to be offended. An unscripted slip = racist,

I'm a natural centre-left voter, and Ukip has some nutters, but concerted name-calling for having an opinion does irritate me, even if I dislike the opinions. I'd rather judge people on what they do, rather than on out-of-context remarks.

Some lefty writers are very good at saying what somebody else should do or say, but are reluctant to get their own hands dirty. If these lefties look down at, for example, the work of the Sally Army because they don't approve of religion, yet they do nothing themselves to alleviate true poverty, they show their true colours.

I may vote Ukip in the Euros and go back to the LDs at the GE as the best of a bad job. And I don't care what others think about the logic of that. One advantage of old age!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

Simple, London lying as usual , they will build the first part to benefit London, using money from the north and Scotland and it will never go beyond Birmingham.
    There will be some good reason why they need more money for London rather than extending it beyond Birmingham.

I see no evidence to back up your assertion.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    Not posted for a bit as not much to say but a few comments last few weeks made me do my own analysis on Scottish Independence. I see the Euros as an event that may mean a lot up here as 2 protest parties clash.

Is the Scottish Yes Campaign Treading Water?

(This analysis is based on comparison of the YouGov poll in September 2013 with the latest one in March 2014.)

The headline figure showed a 32 Yes 52 No move to a 37 Yes and 52 No vote which equates to a 42/58 margin excluding don’t knows and will not vote. However the main reason for the change was the increase in SNP voters who plan to vote Yes. The percentage of Yes voters who also intend to vote SNP has moved from 67% to 75%. Among the critical Labour base there has been no movement to the Yes campaign in the last 6 months.

The YouGov weighting like many other polls is based on the last Holyrood election which appears to be a high water mark for the SNP. In comparison to recent YouGov polls this may overstate the SNP base by around 10% and understate Labour by 7%, Lib Dems by 28% and Conservatives by 41%. As the SNP voters mostly intend to vote Yes and the Conservatives are the strongest No voters this requires an adjustment of at least 2% from Yes to No leading to a figure of 35% Yes and 54% No.

What do the recent by-election results show? The results have shown a switch back from SNP to Labour and a solid Conservative base. The most recent by-election in Kilmarnock, an SNP stronghold, showed the SNP vote down about 15% with Conservatives, Labour and Greens all up. Prior to this the SNP had lost 20 by elections in a row with similar vote losses. Actual elections tend to support the polls.

Behind all the headlines of a fluid and unpredictable result, instead this campaign has become more like trench warfare. The SNP have been preaching successfully to the converted but have been unable to reach out beyond their core voter base. The No campaign on the other hand has been able to make only slow progress in winning back many of the voters who defected to the SNP in the last Scottish election. The 60/40 split of unionists to nationalists remains as solid as it was 3 years ago.

• Options
    What may change things in the next 6 months?

The upcoming Euro Elections are a potential black swan. Latest YouGov poll showed UKIP winning 18% in Scotland and getting one of the 6 Scottish seats. While many of their voters are ex-Conservative it appears that maybe a third are traditional SNP voters. There is no love lost between UKIP and the SNP, and the rise of UKIP in Scotland threatens to open up another front that the SNP must fight on. The SNP leadership may love Europe but some of its voters don’t.

The Commonwealth games may show a large number of proud Scots and a photo opportunity for Alex Salmond. On the other hand it will be run by Glasgow’s Labour party and sportsmen / women are not keen on mixing politics and sport. Don’t see this changing many votes.

Scots are more down on the economy than the rest of the UK and Yes voters are the most gloomy. If business starts to give pay rises in the next 6 months this will be a benefit for the No Campaign. However if we have a major financial crisis in the next 6 months then that will help the Yes campaign.

Blair versus Darling. I would suggest we could have a debate between them every day for the next 6 months and nothing would change. I am surprised at the criticism of Darling. He has done his job and not made any gaffs. The Labour voter support for the union remains solid and the Labour ground troops seem motivated. If Salmond gets too involved it will upset the 25% of Yes voters who don’t vote SNP but if he does not then the Yes campaign lose one of their most canny politicians. That leaves only Cameron to lose all touch with reality and to offer to debate directly with Salmond.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

So endless excuses why a project suppo

Not endless excuses at all: they're quite short

Evidence ? Too busy admiring Vlad's biceps.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Interesting that both Farage and Eck are always bigging up strong men but never strong women.

Flash, you are really getting desperate now
  • Options

malcolmg said:

dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

Just a good football manager. How dare Salmond actually talk nice about the Tories bogey man. They hate that Putin has a backbone and said the UK was a busted backwater. Just watch the UK grovelling to the Russians this week as they wield their massive clout.
    Your fat boy has changed his tune since the interview;

"A spokesman for the First Minster said the interview was conducted before the annexation of the Crimea, adding: "Since then, the Scottish Government has made our position abundantly clear on the illegal annexation, including the decision to withdraw the invitation to the Russian Consul General to the annual Scottish Consular Corps dinner.""

Flip flop Eck, as usual.
    Cuckoo
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Off-topic:

We will see in 30 or 40 years then, if you don't see a problem then it must be true and the benefits of HS2 for the North will be magnificent to behold.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Not posted for a bit as not much to say but a few comments last few weeks made me do my own analysis on Scottish Independence. I see the Euros as an event that may mean a lot up here as 2 protest parties clash.

(This analysis is based on comparison of the YouGov poll in September 2013 with the latest one in March 2014.)

The headline figure showed a 32 Yes 52 No move to a 37 Yes and 52 No vote which equates to a 42/58 margin excluding don’t knows and will not vote. However the main reason for the change was the increase in SNP voters who plan to vote Yes. The percentage of Yes voters who also intend to vote SNP has moved from 67% to 75%. Among the critical Labour base there has been no movement to the Yes campaign in the last 6 months.

The YouGov weighting like many other polls is based on the last Holyrood election which appears to be a high water mark for the SNP. In comparison to recent YouGov polls this may overstate the SNP base by around 10% and understate Labour by 7%, Lib Dems by 28% and Conservatives by 41%. As the SNP voters mostly intend to vote Yes and the Conservatives are the strongest No voters this requires an adjustment of at least 2% from Yes to No leading to a figure of 35% Yes and 54% No.

What do the recent by-election results show? The results have shown a switch back from SNP to Labour and a solid Conservative base. The most recent by-election in Kilmarnock, an SNP stronghold, showed the SNP vote down about 15% with Conservatives, Labour and Greens all up. Prior to this the SNP had lost 20 by elections in a row with similar vote losses. Actual elections tend to support the polls.

Behind all the headlines of a fluid and unpredictable result, instead this campaign has become more like trench warfare. The SNP have been preaching successfully to the converted but have been unable to reach out beyond their core voter base. The No campaign on the other hand has been able to make only slow progress in winning back many of the voters who defected to the SNP in the last Scottish election. The 60/40 split of unionists to nationalists remains as solid as it was 3 years ago.

Given that load of bollocks and misinformation perhaps you should wait a lot longer the next time. Did Blair McDougall send you that information.
    To make it worse you posted the crap twice.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. G, that supposes HS2 gets off the ground at all. Labour seem to be blowing hot and cold over it.
  • Options

It's a comment about when you repeatedly accused me of stalking you. Something for which, as far as I'm aware, you have yet to apologise.

I would have thought you would have remembered. I mean, you can't have been proud of it?
    I've said a couple of times that it was meant as a joke (about your repeated references to a local blog pot from ages ago) and was sorry if you felt it was offensive. I'm happy to apologise. OK?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Flash, you are really getting desperate now
    Just pointing out the obvious - Eck does have a problem with women .
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles

;-)

2008Q1 +6%
    2004Q1 +18%
    1999Q4 +47%
    1989Q1 +79%

2008Q1 -11%
    2004Q1 -12%
    1999Q4 -14%
    1989Q1 -2%

Government Debt

2014Q1 £1,269bn
    2008Q1 £538bn
    2004Q1 £394bn
    1999Q4 £360bn
    1989Q1 £154bn

I've pointed out where your analysis is wrong. I'm happy to correct it for you if you want. Where should I send the bill?
    You accused me of posting inaccurate data.

I proved the data was accurate and you were forced to grudgingly apologise.

You then accused me of lacking statistical rigour.

Without explaining where this statistical rigour was lacking or showing any statistical rigour of your own.

Sadly the conclusion that can be drawn is that you are only able to carp from the sidelines at people who do a bit of genuine, albeit minor, research of their own.

But please feel free to prove me wrong on that by displaying some statistical rigour of your own.

I will look forward to it with genuine interest - those of us here with open minds are always willing to learn something new.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Twice in one morning....in fairness to Eck, he does "big up" Merkel in that interview....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

We will see in 30 or 40 years then, if you don't see a problem then it must be true and the benefits of HS2 for the North will be magnificent to behold.
    We have to be cautious, and I'm not claiming that the benefits to the north will be magnificent to behold. I'm fairly certain they could be. In fact, I'll repeat what I've said all along:

Continental examples show that the benefits of high-speed rail are highest when the places served buy-in to the scheme and use it to good effect. If they do not, then the benefits will be reduced.

Which is basic common sense.

Some initial reading for you. The conclusions of the second link are particularly interesting when it comes to discussing the benefits:
    http://www.jrtr.net/jrtr03/f26_ard.html
    http://www.eco.uc3m.es/temp/agenda/mad2006/papers/12. Vickerman, Roger.pdf
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    The Twiplomat ‏@twiplomat

Putin/Cameron Press Conference: Putin says volume of British investment in Russia has reached 26.7 billion dollars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UldT9FhyAls

Ben Judah ‏@b_judah

Britain is moving to protect the interests of the city of London from possible American sanctions on Putin money. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/03/uk-seeks-russia-harm-city-london-document?CMP=twt_gu
    Renee ‏@ReneMcLaren Jan 12

Cameron's plea to Putin to stop Salmond. What is wrong with this picture? #indyref #runningterrified http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/camerons-plea-to-putin-help-me-stop-salmond.23138182?_=553c493b571e5c3b5cc295a67a2f3d21711c55c2

LOL

Always remember the PB Golden Rule.

The PB tories are always wrong. The PB tories never learn.

:)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Putin/Cameron Press Conference: Putin says volume of British investment in Russia has reached 26.7 billion dollars

Ben Judah ‏@b_judah

Britain is moving to protect the interests of the city of London from possible American sanctions on Putin money. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/03/uk-seeks-russia-harm-city-london-document?CMP=twt_gu

Cameron's plea to Putin to stop Salmond. What is wrong with this picture? #indyref #runningterrified http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/camerons-plea-to-putin-help-me-stop-salmond.23138182?_=553c493b571e5c3b5cc295a67a2f3d21711c55c2

LOL

Please name the PB tories as you have been requested to do so before.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Ben Judah ‏@b_judah

LOL

Are we wrong about Ecks support from women ?
  • Options

I didn't write the Wikipedia page so can't speak for that, but I've never made a secret of it and discussed it on my blog which goes to 4000 homes. These days most people treat past communist views with mild curiosity, as if you said you used to be a Mormon or a hippy, possibly because most people over 60 have had some off-beat ideas at one time or another. I talked about my general outlook in most detail some years ago in what was probably my most-read blog entry as people still refer back to it:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BroxtoweMP/conversations/messages/472

No secret... of course it isn't but suggesting that you didn't write your Wikipedia page as a form of defence is laughable.. if its not a secret you can edit it for everyone to see.

Meanwhile people can think what they like about your assertion of "not being as lefty as you think"

• Options
    Fop with a woman problem.

TheIndyPolitics ‏@IndyPolitics

Maria Miller expenses scandal: Tory MP ‘says Cameron would have sacked her days ago – if she was called Mark' http://ind.pn/1qk0qvm

joncraigSKY ‏@joncraig

Nigel Farage tells me Nadine Dorries "would be very welcome" in UKIP after quoting her "out of touch posh boys" jibe re Cameron & Osborne.

A 'Cast Iron' reality check for the amusingly obsequious Cameroons.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Kippers precisely where some of us said they would be many months ago.

Another EU 'master strategy' from the chumocracy falls flat on it's face. Oops! ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 2014
    did I somewhere downthread (skim) read that people only have themselves to blame for what the EU became because in 1975 they didn't read the Treaty Of Rome?

Really?

Almost as strange as someone saying membership and advocacy of a poisonous totalitarian political philosophy was "just a bit of fun" akin to having a few too many magic mushrooms at a student party in the '60s.

I'm putting it down to PB Monday-itis.

• Options
    Financier said:

Mick_Pork said:

Ben Judah ‏@b_judah

LOL

LOL

Tories on PB of course. Please try not to let it upset you so much that your 'request' makes me laugh just as hard as it did before.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Financier said:

Mick_Pork said:

Ben Judah ‏@b_judah

LOL

LOL

Tories on PB of course. Please try not to let it upset you so much that your 'request' makes me laugh just as hard as it did before.

I could name a PBSLab but you're a bit shy about it so I won't.

• Options
    One for all those "Cast Iron" gullible tories who Cammie always manages to fool on the EU.

Fop the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2n7oMcSi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF45vlC5w_Y

*chuckles*
  • Options

I've said a couple of times that it was meant as a joke (about your repeated references to a local blog pot from ages ago) and was sorry if you felt it was offensive. I'm happy to apologise. OK?
    Several things to say about this:

1) It was not 'ages ago' when I wrote the post that got you riled. You had written it seven weeks before I made my post. You continue to misrepresent what happened even as you apologise?

2) I'm not sure you should be joking about stalking, which is a serious criminal offence. Your ex-colleague Helen Jones has been running an excellent campaign about it. What other offences would you be willing to joke about?

3) Your reaction to Ann Winterton's 'joke' was to splash it all over the papers. Yet you use the 'joke' excuse when you talk about accusing me several times of a serious crime.

4) You also used the phrases 'train zealots', 'obsessive' and 'creepy'. Although some may agree with them. ;-)

5) It's not a case of finding it offensive: it is offensive. And given your position, it's a nasty thing to accuse someone of, even if you think you did it in jest.

6) I didn't see any previous apology; if I had, I would have responded.

People who know you personally on here give the impression that you are a nice, kind and thoughtful person. I believe them. But I find it hard to square with your reaction when someone has the temerity to quote your own words at you, in context.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Older people fear change more and don't like all these new immigrants arriving. It has always been the same. I can remember my Nan looking out of her front window in the London suburbs back in the 1970's complaining about all these foreign people who were moving into her area. She was not a racist, but simply did not like the change that was happening around her. Most of her neighbours she had known for years were gradually moving away and the new neighbours were not white British. I suspect that if she was still alive now, she would be voting UKIP, because of the fear of Britain continuing to be overrun by immigrants.
  • Options
    Malcom MG. The thing I love about listening to the CyberNats is their sophisticated analysis.
    I am sorry about posting twice as was not sure it posted first time.

I assume you are following the lead of Salmond and try to attack with bluster. Hague has just said that joining Europe may not be as easy for Scotland as Salmond says. Hague has a vote on this, unlike Salmond, but guess who knows the result best?

• Options
    Upsetting stuff for Blairites like Monica who cheered on the sainted Tony and his idiotic wars.

Liar MPs ‏@LiarMPs 49m

I recall Tony Blair & the Labour Party saying they were going to run a government that would be 'whiter than white'! http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tony-blair-minister-former-pms-3468050

Ramtoad ‏@Ramtoad 14h

NBC’s David Gregory Slams Tony Blair Over Islamic Terrorism: Didn’t You And Bush Make It Worse? http://bit.ly/1k90yf6 @DailyCaller

• Options
    CD13 said:

Remember that this old gits' group is always in flux. As they die off, more join it and take on the mantle of these opinions. And overall, it is growing - we are an ageing population.

So many of them must be former Labour voters, who once they switch may not switch as easily as the optimists think - another characteristic of old age.

And yes, having voted for a trading group, they now find the EU a political group too.

Even if many switch back at the GE, I suspect some of the "PC" stuff is an annoyance. When you're old, you can say what you like without worrying so much about word usage changing. A few months ago, on MOTD, Alan Hansen mentioned a "coloured" player, and faced complaints. He was delivering an anti-racist comment yet still received vilification from a few regular moaners and those determined to be offended. An unscripted slip = racist,

I'm a natural centre-left voter, and Ukip has some nutters, but concerted name-calling for having an opinion does irritate me, even if I dislike the opinions. I'd rather judge people on what they do, rather than on out-of-context remarks.

Some lefty writers are very good at saying what somebody else should do or say, but are reluctant to get their own hands dirty. If these lefties look down at, for example, the work of the Sally Army because they don't approve of religion, yet they do nothing themselves to alleviate true poverty, they show their true colours.

I may vote Ukip in the Euros and go back to the LDs at the GE as the best of a bad job. And I don't care what others think about the logic of that. One advantage of old age!

@CD13

I suspect that many people (not just the over 60s), may well lend their vote to UKIP in the upcoming EUROs and will revert to the more UK policy-focused parties in 2015.

And on this sunny but breezy morning, may your old age be a ripe and fruitful one.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited April 2014
    DavidL said:

Note how he has to focus on the trend, which has been declining since the 1970s like pretty much all non-leadership elections in developed countries. The Euros give you that trend as a "lower every time" line rather than bouncing around above and below the trend line because the arbitrary stuff like combination with other elections and position in the electoral cycle averages out across the whole EU.

Boris can't talk about the actual level of turnout here because the turnout in the election that elected him, at 38.1%, is substantially lower than the turnout that elected the current EU Parliament, which was 43%, and he doesn't want to call his own job a "failed experiment".
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

We have to be cautious, and I'm not claiming that the benefits to the north will be magnificent to behold. I'm fairly certain they could be. In fact, I'll repeat what I've said all along:

Continental examples show that the benefits of high-speed rail are highest when the places served buy-in to the scheme and use it to good effect. If they do not, then the benefits will be reduced.

Some initial reading for you. The conclusions of the second link are particularly interesting when it comes to discussing the benefits:
    JJ, it will never be completed, it may make Birmingham and possibly Manchester but it will go no further
  • Options

The No campaign's lead in the Poll of Polls headline figures (past updates recalculated to exclude Angus Reid) :

Sep 2013 - 21.6%
    Sep 2013 - 21.4%
    Sep 2013 - 19.4%
    Oct 2013 - 18.8%
    Oct 2013 - 18.4%
    Oct 2013 - 18.2%
    Nov 2013 - 18.4%
    Nov 2013 - 18.0%
    Dec 2013 - 17.0%
    Dec 2013 - 16.8%
    Dec 2013 - 16.4%
    Jan 2014 - 14.4%
    Jan 2014 - 14.2%
    Jan 2014 - 14.2%
    Jan 2014 - 15.2%
    Feb 2014 - 15.0%
    Feb 2014 - 15.5%
    Feb 2014 - 15.5%
    Feb 2014 - 13.7%
    Feb 2014 - 13.3%
    Feb 2014 - 14.2%
    Mar 2014 - 14.2%
    Mar 2014 - 14.5%
    Mar 2014 - 14.5%
    Mar 2014 - 14.7%
    Mar 2014 - 13.8%
    Mar 2014 - 13.0%
    Mar 2014 - 12.5%
    Apr 2014 - 12.5%
    Apr 2014 - 12.7%
    Apr 2014 - 12.7%
    Apr 2014 - 12.3%
    Apr 2014 - 11.4%

Nope. :)

Even Clegg's ostrich faction would be hard pushed to match the labour, tory and 'better together' complacency that thinks otherwise.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Ben Judah ‏@b_judah

LOL

Flash , you are desperate today , you worried about administration , is it addling your mind.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

JJ, it will never be completed, it may make Birmingham and possibly Manchester but it will go no further
    Considering HS2 as it stands is only meant to go as far as Manchester (and Leeds to the east), surely that means it will be completed? Anything substantial north of Manchester would be an HS3 or similar.
  • Options
    Mick Pork. Did you read my post? What I said was that the SNP have solidified their core vote over the last 6 months but gone nowhere in persuading the rest of Scotland to support the Yes campaign. The polls may well over estimate the SNP core vote as they base it on the last Holyrood election.

The stalemate is stuck at around 40% yes, 60% no.

• Options
    Mr. Jessop/Mr. G, given the Scots are voting just this year on independence and there are already murmurings about a second vote if 'necessary' it's hardly surprising the Government isn't willing to commit to the line going up to Glasgow/Edinburgh.
  • Options
    http://labourlist.org/2014/04/how-to-stop-farage/

"How do you stop Farage? Not by calling him a racist. Not by offering a complacent and patronising account of our EU membership, which sadly is what Nick Clegg seems to have done in those recent debates. But by exposing the flimsiness of Ukip’s arguments. And by offering a better alternative.

Which brings me on to the need for a clear, positive (“bold”) Labour programme at the next general election, rather than a narrow, nervous (“shrunken”) one. But that is a matter for another day."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Financier said:

CD13 said:

@CD13

I suspect that many people (not just the over 60s), may well lend their vote to UKIP in the upcoming EUROs and will revert to the more UK policy-focused parties in 2015.

And on this sunny but breezy morning, may your old age be a ripe and fruitful one.
    I agree. And I don't think for one moment that it's because anyone has a strong view of or is taking more seriously the euros.

I think that mid-term, economic upturn not quite kicked in personally, we're in the doldrums ahead of summer, and voilà an opportunity to say F*** You to the politicos presents itself.
  • Options
    Equality Justice ‏@Avitusparta

BBC News - HS2: Cameron faces backbench rebellion http://bbc.in/1fGJ7QH

Who will save Cammie yet again from the wrath of his own backbenchers?

The Independent ‏@Independent 18h

Labour to back HS2 rail-link – but will demand 'green corridor' along the route http://ind.pn/PHkoo3

Ah well, at least it wasn't Calamity Clegg this time. ;)
  • Options
    A hostile takeover in the drugs market to come?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27185027

I'm nervous about this. We need a rich ecosystem of large drugs companies, not a few massive ones. But it's not my industry ...
  • Options
    Josias -

To respond to your comments in detail, in an attempt to put the matter to bed:

1) It was not 'ages ago' when I wrote the post that got you riled. You had written it seven weeks before I made my post. You continue to misrepresent what happened even as you apologise?

->I'm reluctant to pursue the original issue, but my recollection is that you picked up a comment expressing doubts about HS2 (not even opposition) I made on my local blog 7 weeks earlier and raised it repeatedly here. It seemed to me a bit OTT.

2) I'm not sure you should be joking about stalking, which is a serious criminal offence. Your ex-colleague Helen Jones has been running an excellent campaign about it. What other offences would you be willing to joke about?

->I didn't think anyone reading my comments will have supposed that i was actually accusing you of stalking me in the criminal sense (rather than merely in the casual sense of raising a passing comment again and again). But you clearly felt that I was, which is why I apologised - I really did not intend anything like that. I accept that you didn't see the apology - it's easy to miss comments here.

3) Your reaction to Ann Winterton's 'joke' was to splash it all over the papers. Yet you use the 'joke' excuse when you talk about accusing me several times of a serious crime.

->I didn't exactly splash it all over the papers. A journalist rang me to say they'd heard about it and was it true? I said yes and I hadn't liked it. I did feel that making a joke during a posh dinner at the expense of dead immigrants was upsetting, though Ann W and I have agreed to bury the hatchet.

4) You also used the phrases 'train zealots', 'obsessive' and 'creepy'. Although some may agree with them. ;-)

->Zealots er yes; obessive is a bit strong, and creepy does sound OTT - I don't remember saying that but I apologise for that too.

5) It's not a case of finding it offensive: it is offensive. And given your position, it's a nasty thing to accuse someone of, even if you think you did it in jest.

->Fair enough - it was not intended to be upsetting, and I'm sorry that it struck you that way.

->Also fair enough.

People who know you personally on here give the impression that you are a nice, kind and thoughtful person. I believe them. But I find it hard to square with your reaction when someone has the temerity to quote your own words at you, in context.

->People often quote my words to me - I'm not especially careful about what I say. I try to respond lightly, and I intended to in this case. It obviously didn't come across like that, so I'm sorry.

I don't actually think either of us is wicked, and we've got a bit tangled up over what was clearly an unfortunate phrase on my part.Not sure if there's anything I can usefully add, honestly, but hope you will accept my apology.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Mick Pork. Did you read my post?

Yes, very funny it was too. Almost a carbon copy of what SLAB were saying in 2007 and 2011 as they tried to ignore the polls narrowing and we all know how well that turned out for them.

But by all means go back to ranting about the sophisticated analysis and "bluster" of "Cybernats" as you implicitly trust everything Hague says. That certainly isn't hilariously oblivious irony either.

Here's what Hague said about a certain Cast Iron Referendum Pledge.

Conservatives could hold Lisbon Treaty referendum after ratification

A Conservative government could hold a referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty even if it has already been ratified, William Hague has said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/3097376/Conservatives-could-hold-Lisbon-Treaty-referendum-after-ratification.html

Very trustworthy indeed.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Continental examples show that High Speed rail links do little or nothing to regenerate the regions and serve only to suck more investment into the middle. In France this was Paris and in the UK it will be London. The idea that HS2 will bridge the North South divide in any meaningful way is just a myth and is proven to be such by the continent.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, there are two arguments against that. Firstly, we need more capacity and if we're building a whole new line it makes sense for it to be fast.

Secondly, it's my understanding that the main concern in Leeds is that we won't get it and that it'll either be a southern thing (to Birmingham) or, arguably more galling, it'll go to Manchester but not Leeds.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick Pork. Did you read my post?

Yes, very funny it was too. Almost a carbon copy of what SLAB were saying in 2007 and 2011 as they tried to ignore the polls narrowing and we all know how well that turned out for them.

But by all means go back to ranting about the sophisticated analysis of 'Cybernats' as that isn't hilariously oblivious irony either.
    Pork, you try too hard. You're as convincing a Nat as Malcolmg is as a Rangers supporter.
  • Options

Josias -

To respond to your comments in detail, in an attempt to put the matter to bed:

->I'm reluctant to pursue the original issue, but my recollection is that you picked up a comment expressing doubts about HS2 (not even opposition) I made on my local blog 7 weeks earlier and raised it repeatedly here. It seemed to me a bit OTT.

2) (snip for length)

->I didn't think anyone reading my comments will have supposed that i was actually accusing you of stalking me in the criminal sense (rather than merely in the casual sense of raising a passing comment again and again). But you clearly felt that I was, which is why I apologised - I really did not intend anything like that. I accept that you didn't see the apology - it's easy to miss comments here.

3) (snip for length)
    ->I didn't exactly splash it all over the papers. A journalist rang me to say they'd heard about it and was it true? I said yes and I hadn't liked it. I did feel that making a joke during a posh dinner at the expense of dead immigrants was upsetting, though Ann W and I have agreed to bury the hatchet.

->Zealots er yes; obessive is a bit strong, and creepy does sound OTT - I don't remember saying that but I apologise for that too.

->Fair enough - it was not intended to be upsetting, and I'm sorry that it struck you that way.

->Also fair enough.

->People often quote my words to me - I'm not especially careful about what I say. I try to respond lightly, and I intended to in this case. It obviously didn't come across like that, so I'm sorry.

I don't actually think either of us is wicked, and we've got a bit tangled up over what was clearly an unfortunate phrase on my part.Not sure if there's anything I can usefully add, honestly, but hope you will accept my apology.

I take issue with some of that, but apology accepted.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

UKIPs policies on cutting back on government expenditure particularly on the NHS will not go down well with this group.

While Europe may irk them, I suspect they are at least as much bothered by non EU immigration and socially conservative issues. This is the last generation that remembers the fifties and sixties.

Another point is selective mortality. These are people who will be three years older in 2017 for the Tory Tory Euro referendum; but will be 7 years older if there is only a referendum after a 2020 election. The youngest will be 72 by that time, and as we know Kippers are disproportionally CDE and lower income, may simply not be around to vote.

Financier said:

Many people who voted UKIP in 1999 will now be dead. But, UKIP support has increased fourfold since then. As people get older, they become more receptive to UKIP. Today's 60 + voters were young enthusiasts for the EEC, back in 1975.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Older people fear change more and don't like all these new immigrants arriving. It has always been the same..

Overheard remark when the country went decimal "You'd have thought they'd wait until the old people had died before bringing this in...."

• Options
    Jack Seale ‏@jackseale 22m

In Egypt, where Tony Blair urges us to support the military government: 683 of its opponents just got sentenced to death.

Poor old Moniker. Her hero Blair just won't learn.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles

;-)

2008Q1 +6%
    2004Q1 +18%
    1999Q4 +47%
    1989Q1 +79%

2008Q1 -11%
    2004Q1 -12%
    1999Q4 -14%
    1989Q1 -2%

Government Debt

2014Q1 £1,269bn
    2008Q1 £538bn
    2004Q1 £394bn
    1999Q4 £360bn
    1989Q1 £154bn

You accused me of posting inaccurate data.

I proved the data was accurate and you were forced to grudgingly apologise.

You then accused me of lacking statistical rigour.

Without explaining where this statistical rigour was lacking or showing any statistical rigour of your own.

Sadly the conclusion that can be drawn is that you are only able to carp from the sidelines at people who do a bit of genuine, albeit minor, research of their own.

But please feel free to prove me wrong on that by displaying some statistical rigour of your own.

I will look forward to it with genuine interest - those of us here with open minds are always willing to learn something new.
    As said before, I didn't mean to accuse you of posting inaccurate data and if it came across like that I'm sorry. I'm sure it was extracted correctly from th source material.

The point was that the headline figures are useless and dangerous misleading. Factors such as declining oil and gas production - which is a secular trend - can lead you to draw the wrong conclusion unless you adjust for it.

Given how busy I am with work, my private investments, my family Foundation and raising a toddler I don't have time to do the analysis myself.
  • Options

Financier said:

In 1975 the public relied upon what they were told by the political leaders - in particular the leaders of the two main parties - and by what they were told by the media. They were lied to from start to finish.

The difference this time is that we know we were lied to. All the arguments being raised in favour of continued EU membership have to be judged against the fact that we can repeatedly tell the public they were lied to by the politicians and that they are lying again. Do you really think that in the current climate a politician is going to make much headway against that?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Financier said:

Many people who voted UKIP in 1999 will now be dead. But, UKIP support has increased fourfold since then. As people get older, they become more receptive to UKIP. Today's 60 + voters were young enthusiasts for the EEC, back in 1975.
    Back in 1975 wasn't it labelled The Common Market. Then came the EEC, followed by the EC and now the EU.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited April 2014

Latest YouGov poll showed UKIP winning 18% in Scotland and getting one of the 6 Scottish seats.

You're quoting a poll of a sub sample of 160? Phew, that lets me off ploughing through the rest of your verbiage.

• Options

Mr. Tyndall, there are two arguments against that. Firstly, we need more capacity and if we're building a whole new line it makes sense for it to be fast.

Secondly, it's my understanding that the main concern in Leeds is that we won't get it and that it'll either be a southern thing (to Birmingham) or, arguably more galling, it'll go to Manchester but not Leeds.

As far as greater capacity goes the way to deal with that is to improve regional railways whilst at the same time reducing rather than increasing the need for people to travel into London. As I know has been said before this is a 19th century solution for a 21st century problem.
  • Options

Latest YouGov poll showed UKIP winning 18% in Scotland and getting one of the 6 Scottish seats.

You're quoting a poll of a sub sample of 160? Phew, that let's me off ploughing through the rest of your verbiage.

This whole thread is premised on a sub sample. Nice to see you jangled and your fake independence shaken up by UKIP.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

You're quoting a poll of a sub sample of 160? Phew, that let's me off ploughing through the rest of your verbiage.

This whole thread is premised on a sub sample. Nice to see you jangled and your fake independence shaken up by UKIP.
    Bet?
  • Options

Continental examples show that High Speed rail links do little or nothing to regenerate the regions and serve only to suck more investment into the middle. In France this was Paris and in the UK it will be London. The idea that HS2 will bridge the North South divide in any meaningful way is just a myth and is proven to be such by the continent.
    That's not my understanding from the reports I've read. Several things stand out:

1) There have not been enough studies into the effects of European high-sped rail. Some studies have found it hard to divide cause and effect: what developments and traffic would have happened anyway.

2) There are many examples where it has benefited the regions. There are many others where the capitals have benefited most, and others where both benefited - it is not necessarily a zero-sum game.

3) Where councils have not brought into the project, benefits are less or negative.

4) There is an intra-regional effect. Where it does benefit a region, some of this comes from a transfer from the hinterlands towards the railway. This is a negative, and makes it even harder to understand the effects.

I'll try and dig out the report(s): I've linked to them before on here, but can't find them in my links file. But for the moment the ones I linked to above are worth a read.

Number 3) is why I spent so much time last summer trying to convince Nick about why HS2 would be a good thing. If he becomes MP again, his constituency will have a hub, and to get the most gain, people like him need to be on board. Sadly I think I rather spectacularly failed on that one ...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Ben Judah ‏@b_judah

LOL

Flash , you are desperate today , you worried about administration , is it addling your mind.
    Admin would be worthwhile if it cleansed the club of the crooks running.
  • Options
    Populus @PopulusPolls · 7s

New Populus VI: Lab 35 (=); Cons 32 (-3); LD 10 (+1); UKIP 15 (+2); Oth 8 (=) Tables http://popu.lu/s_vi140428
This discussion has been closed.