Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The House of Lords: UKIP’s backdoor into Westminster

SystemSystem Posts: 11,742
edited April 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The House of Lords: UKIP’s backdoor into Westminster

If the Commons was once considered “The best Club in London” then the Lords must these days be the best retirement home.  The nature of the role is such that working peerages tend to be awarded to those whose first career has either ended entirely or is at least winding down – so allowing them the time to work in the Upper House, as well as having provided the evidence to justify the award.  Add in that awards are for life and inevitably, they’re an aged bunch:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,177
    edited April 2014
    First!

Surely we can't continue with the present bloated, unwieldy HoL. Surely whoever wins, Lab, Con/LD or Lab/LD will try for reform again. Anyway, why shouldn't reasonably short-term MP's ….. in the Commons under say 15 years who are under 60 or so ……. find ordinary employment like the rest of us do when redundant? Even Lembit Opik seems to have done so!

Or, do something else in retirement other than politics. There are plenty of options, other than golf!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    One of my friends from university wanted there to be an absolute monarchy (tempered by assassination if necessary) with a hereditary House of Lords and no House of Commons.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2014

First!

Surely we can't continue with the present bloated, unwieldy HoL. Surely whoever wins, Lab, Con/LD or Lab/LD will try for reform again. Anyway, why shouldn't reasonably short-term MP's ….. in the Commons under say 15 years who are under 60 or so ……. find ordinary employment like the rest of us do when redundant? Even Lembit Opik seems to have done so!

Or, do something else in retirement other than politics. There are plenty of options, other than golf!

Yup. Credit where credit's due---Lembit Opik, a keen biker apparently, is very usefully helping to represent the MAG (Motorcycle Action Group), who are basically skint.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited April 2014
    Sunil, if you are reading this, can you please share your HoL stats again?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,942
    The BBC news carried a vox pop with a life long Labour supporter last night who said he was going to vote "yes" because he wanted "to get rid of New Labour" and only independence would give Scottish Labour a chance to get back on track.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Toms said:

First!

Yup. Credit where credit's due---Lembit Opik, a keen biker apparently, is very usefully helping to represent the MAG (Motorcycle Action Group), who are basically skint.
    Ah, MAG. I once spoke as an MP at a huge MAG open-air rally in Nottingham (urging acceptance of motorbikes in cycle lanes, which I think is still the practice in some cities and not others?). One of the largest meetings I'd spoken at, but it was a 3-day rally and this was the morning after a big party. I've never spoken to such a spectacularly hung-over audience: I could have given the speech in Danish and it wouldn't have made any difference. With luck they vaguely felt it was a nice thought.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Well this'll work:

Yes vote 'would consign rest of the UK to permanent Conservative rule'
    SCOTS have been urged to show solidarity and not "walk away" from the people of England and Wales on September 18 as a Yes vote would consign them to permanent Tory government, according to Brian Wilson, the ex-Labour Trade Minister.

The former Cunninghame North MP insisted Labour had "to do more in the months ahead" to save the Union.

He said: "It's very important for people in the rest of the United Kingdom to realise what is at stake here; it isn't just the Union but it is the prospect really of there ever being a Labour government again in what is left of the United Kingdom."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/yes-vote-would-consign-rest-of-the-uk-to-permanent-conservative-rule.24062079

Apart from being rubbish, I'm not sure "Don't do it for yourselves, do it for the English" is the best approach to adopt.....(nor would the reverse be south of the border...)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,339

Toms said:

First!

Ah, MAG. I once spoke as an MP at a huge MAG open-air rally in Nottingham (urging acceptance of motorbikes in cycle lanes, which I think is still the practice in some cities and not others?). One of the largest meetings I'd spoken at, but it was a 3-day rally and this was the morning after a big party. I've never spoken to such a spectacularly hung-over audience: I could have given the speech in Danish and it wouldn't have made any difference. With luck they vaguely felt it was a nice thought.

Why would you want motorbikes in cycle lanes? They're different sorts of traffic and speeds.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,036

Toms said:

First!

Why would you want motorbikes in cycle lanes? They're different sorts of traffic and speeds.
    In Naples I noticed it was apparently considered normal to ride your motorbike on the pavement.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Morning all, I've put up my final post on my Lib Dem odyssey:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.hu/2014/04/the-hunt-for-2010-lib-dems-part-4.html

I shall be taking a breather for a day or two now.
  • Options
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    How many peers do the BNP have ?

Ukip are toast. Not now but within a year.

Not black toast mind you...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,491

Well this'll work:

SCOTS have been urged to show solidarity and not "walk away" from the people of England and Wales on September 18 as a Yes vote would consign them to permanent Tory government, according to Brian Wilson, the ex-Labour Trade Minister.

The former Cunninghame North MP insisted Labour had "to do more in the months ahead" to save the Union.

He said: "It's very important for people in the rest of the United Kingdom to realise what is at stake here; it isn't just the Union but it is the prospect really of there ever being a Labour government again in what is left of the United Kingdom."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/yes-vote-would-consign-rest-of-the-uk-to-permanent-conservative-rule.24062079

Apart from being rubbish, I'm not sure "Don't do it for yourselves, do it for the English" is the best approach to adopt.....(nor would the reverse be south of the border...)

It's not "do it for the English", it's "do it for your Labour MP; give him a better shot at a red box". It's a transparently self-serving argument.
  • Options

Toms said:

First!

In Naples I noticed it was apparently considered normal to ride your motorbike on the pavement.

There is a saying that in Milan, traffic lights are instructions; in Rome, they are suggestions; in Naples, they are Christmas decorations. I expect the same principle applies to lane discipline.

In any case, why would you want motorbikes on cycle lanes when they go at or faster than other powered transport and can easily overtake? As someone who's only recently retaken up cycling, the last thing I want on cycle paths is a 650cc motorbike blasting past. (Well, ok, the last thing I'd want might be a 42-tonne truck or a tractor with big nasty spikes or Smaug or something, but you get the idea).
  • Options

Well this'll work:

It's not "do it for the English", it's "do it for your Labour MP; give him a better shot at a red box". It's a transparently self-serving argument.
    I'm not sure which is worse.....

• Options

There is a saying that in Milan, traffic lights are instructions; in Rome, they are suggestions; in Naples, they are Christmas decorations. I expect the same principle applies to lane discipline.

In any case, why would you want motorbikes on cycle lanes when they go at or faster than other powered transport and can easily overtake? As someone who's only recently retaken up cycling, the last thing I want on cycle paths is a 650cc motorbike blasting past. (Well, ok, the last thing I'd want might be a 42-tonne truck or a tractor with big nasty spikes or Smaug or something, but you get the idea).
    Years ago I saw a nasty collision between a motorcyclist and cyclist here in Cambridge. It wasn't pretty.

Another problem is whether cycle lines have been designed for motorbikes. Some scarcely seem to have been designed for cycles...

From skimming the 'net, the laws seem confusing to say the least. Motorbikes are not allowed in cycle lanes unless they are marked as such. Some cycle lines have dotted white lines near junctions, which motorbikes can pull into (but not drive along). Motorcycles are not allowed to pull forward past advanced stop lines (the cycle boxes you see before some junctions). Cycles lanes denoted fully by dotted white lines are advisory.

Goodness knows if I've got the above correct!

• Options
    edited April 2014

Toms said:

First!

Nick Palmer: You're remark about bikers and drink rings true. But in my experience when they're on the road they are exceedingly abstemious--more than car drivers. But at rallys they do let their hair down rather(!)

JJ: In Bedford we cyclists share bus lane usage with bikers. In my experience there is a sort of brotherhood between us and there are no problems I can see. But bus drivers are often bullys. Cars especially, and buses too, are a common enemy and must be watched always. Always.

Here the bureaucrats recently had a scheme to separate the lanes around a particular roundabout by means of raised curbs. Fortunately their twisted ignorance didn't get implemented because of pressure from the CTC and maybe bikers too. This may be the most egregious example of bureaucrats wasting the opportunity to do nothing. The scheme would clearly have caused accidents and injury. Really they need to try cycling some time. I think all car drivers ought to spend a week or two each year cycling.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

How many peers do the BNP have?

None, unsurprisingly.
    TGOHF said:

I'm not sure I like the inference that UKIP should be judged by the same standards set for the BNP. FWIW, we received our UKIP European election leaflet yesterday. The second candidate is Amjad Bashir, who was born in Pakistan.

I also disagree with the contention that UKIP will be toast within a year. What constitutes "toast" (don't say bread!)? Yes, they may fall back from their 12% or so but they have been a genuine factor in UK elections since they first made their breakthrough at the 1999 European elections, and have improved cycle by cycle. That won't continue indefinitely but there's no reason to assume a toast-like meltdown either.

For context, the 919k votes and 3.1% UK vote share won by UKIP were both the best for any fourth party at a general election since 1918 (counting electoral pacts such as the 1980s SDP-Liberal Alliance as a single electoral entity). Perhaps they shouldn't have their full 18 lords but not having been awarded any seems both mean and contrary to the spirit of the Coalition Agreement.

If we are looking for a guiding principle for these minor parties, to weed out the electoral chaff from the permanent fixtures, perhaps their allocation should be based on their worst performance out of the last three elections?
  • Options
    Interesting. We had an article on here just a few days ago explaining how Labour weren't that dependent on the Scots for their majorities (far less so than in Harold Wilson's day, for example) but it appears to have passed most of the posters here by completely.

It must be horrid to be a PeebieTory. Which do they want, a Labour opposition threatening their ill-gotten gains or a UKIP opposition exposing all their electoral lies? Perhaps they should just organise a military coup and be done with it...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Well this'll work:

It's not entirely rubbish. A YES vote would cripple Labour for a generation
    I understand your argument about the impact on Labour, but in terms of "permanent Conservative rule", Wilson is talking rubbish:

On no occasion since 1945 would independence have changed the identity of the winning party and on only two occasions would it have converted a Labour majority into a hung parliament (1964 and October 1974). Without Scotland, Labour would still have won in 1945 (with a majority of 146, down from 143), in 1966 (77, down from 98), in 1997 (139, down from 179), in 2001 (129, down from 167) and in 2005 (43, down from 66).

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/11/why-scottish-independence-wouldnt-mean-permanent-majority-tories
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    I'm now pretty convinced that Scotland is going to vote yes.

Yesterday I was speaking to a early 70s life long labour voter in the central belt. A year ago he was a certain "no", now he's a very fixed "yes". I asked why the change, he explained at great length it was the farcically bad, patronising nature of the "no" campaign, with their endless scare stories that he said, "no one believes any more".

He also said that it was clear Milliband wasn't going to get over the line, and a "yes" vote was the only way to avoid a new tory government.

If people like this as voting "yes" then they'll win.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,345
    Why is that necessarily waste?

If they'd said "£130,000 on Dell laptops" it would not be a story. There are plenty of situations where iPads are sensible work tools.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

First!

Nick Palmer: You're remark about bikers and drink rings true. But in my experience when they're on the road they are exceedingly abstemious--more than car drivers. But at rallys they do let their hair down rather(!)

JJ: In Bedford we cyclists share bus lane usage with bikers. In my experience there is a sort of brotherhood between us and there are no problems I can see. But bus drivers are often bullys. Cars especially, and buses too, are a common enemy and must be watched always. Always.

Here the bureaucrats recently had a scheme to separate the lanes around a particular roundabout by means of raised curbs. Fortunately their twisted ignorance didn't get implemented because of pressure from the CTC and maybe bikers too. This may be the most egregious example of bureaucrats wasting the opportunity to do nothing. The scheme would clearly have caused accidents and injury. Really they need to try cycling some time. I think all car drivers ought to spend a week or two each year cycling.
    Pretty much agree with that. Bus lanes are different: being wider, there's little reason why cycles and motorbikes can't coexist in them. But cycle lanes feel different, especially when motorbikes use them to undertake, weaving in and out of traffic.

I drive, cycle and walk, and I've seen terrible drivers, riders and pedestrians.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    In 2010 UKIP had a Sikh candidate in Leicester South: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhijit_Pandya

He has since left the party, but my understanding is that was because they were insufficiently anti Islamic or Powellite.

TGOHF said:

How many peers do the BNP have?

None, unsurprisingly.
    TGOHF said:

I'm not sure I like the inference that UKIP should be judged by the same standards set for the BNP. FWIW, we received our UKIP European election leaflet yesterday. The second candidate is Amjad Bashir, who was born in Pakistan.

I also disagree with the contention that UKIP will be toast within a year. What constitutes "toast" (don't say bread!)? Yes, they may fall back from their 12% or so but they have been a genuine factor in UK elections since they first made their breakthrough at the 1999 European elections, and have improved cycle by cycle. That won't continue indefinitely but there's no reason to assume a toast-like meltdown either.

For context, the 919k votes and 3.1% UK vote share won by UKIP were both the best for any fourth party at a general election since 1918 (counting electoral pacts such as the 1980s SDP-Liberal Alliance as a single electoral entity). Perhaps they shouldn't have their full 18 lords but not having been awarded any seems both mean and contrary to the spirit of the Coalition Agreement.

If we are looking for a guiding principle for these minor parties, to weed out the electoral chaff from the permanent fixtures, perhaps their allocation should be based on their worst performance out of the last three elections?
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    I am hoping that after the 2015 GE there may be an opportunity for a more fundamental reform of the House of Lords ie abolition of an unnecessary and expensive anachronism.
    If the Scots vote for independence the whole edifice will be shaken and even the max Devo option would require the establishment of an English parliament bringing into focus the role of the Lords.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Another good thread David old chap. The funny thing is Nigel Farage behaves like a Life Peer; off message, a bit unhinged, always putting his foot in it and getting away with it etc. He is like a 'mini-me' version of Norman Tebbit.

It is time for the Lords to be reformed and perhaps Peers should be elected like the regional MSPs in Scotland so a wide cross section would be elected at each general election. That would both real peers (i.e. hereditaries) and day-boys (i.e. life peers) could stand and be elected. Time we saw some new creations of hereditaries out with the royal family.

Incidentally I am available if cousin David wants to be 'Baron' before Easterross.

On a serious note, I do wish the SNP didn't have their silly policy of excluding nominations for Peerages when they nominate (and accept) other honours. The House of Lords would have been much richer if the likes of Winnie Ewing, George Reid, Margo MacDonald and others had been offered and accepted peerages.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,041

The BBC news carried a vox pop with a life long Labour supporter last night who said he was going to vote "yes" because he wanted "to get rid of New Labour" and only independence would give Scottish Labour a chance to get back on track.

I find it odd that anyone would favour permanent constitutional change because of fleeting party political advantage.

• Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,440
    Good article as usual David. It shows the benefit of a revised elected HoL perhaps with stronger federal powers.

This evening I will be singing in a world premier performance of Codebreaker. Codebreaker is an oratorio about the life of Alan Turing.

Highlights include Gordon Brown's apology set to music.

The piece was reviewed on the World Tonight on radio 4 last night around 10.25.

We are performing at the Barbican: http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=15497

Tickets should be available on the door tonight if you are interested.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

Well this'll work:

Especially when coming from a lying weasel like Wilson. Labour have been well found out, trying to be more Tory than the Tories has not gone down well.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,223

Well this'll work:

And a better shottie at a peerage, remember.

You didn't mention how the SNP's policy explains the underrepresentation of small parties in the HoL. Of course, the SNP refuse to accept peerages (an expulsion offence) or to appoint them [delegating 'civic' peerages to a civil servants' committee]. Logical in itself, if one is aiming to dissolve the UK, but also guaranteed to drive Scottish Labour even more berserk with its surprisingly simple yet powerful seizing of what many see as a height of the moral high ground.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why is that necessarily waste?

If they'd said "£130,000 on Dell laptops" it would not be a story. There are plenty of situations where iPads are sensible work tools.
    Where cheaper, easier to maintain and administer options aren't available?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Labour are far more dependent on Scotland now than previously, being electoral poison in much of England. Seat weightings have been more equitably distributed too, not as much as should be thanks to the Lib Dems principled opposition to democracy and equal voting rights, not at all for their self interest. History is fun but remains history.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,345
    @david_herdson:

Parties become extinct only when there is another party that better represents the interest group that is their supporters.

So, unless someone believes the Conservatives become (a) socially conservative, and (b) completely Eurosceptic, and therefore represent that interest group better than UKIP, then UKIP will continue to exist.

The party that is most in danger of losing its natural constituency to another is the Liberal Democrats: Cameron's Conservatives have a similar emphasis to the Orange Book liberals.

If you are the Conservative Party, the question is whether you win back two voters on the UKIP side for every one you lose on the Liberal Democrat side, or vice versa.

For British democracy as a whole, the question is if views and interests have fragmented so completely as to make getting 40% of the vote impossibly difficult. If so, we are all going to have to get used to more coalitions, whether we like it or not.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    JJ: Regarding cycle lanes you may be right. I have very little experience of them. In this country they are really mostly just a cobbled well meant effort. But for the timorous and/or slow cyclist they are probably much better than nothing. I just use the road and am usually easily able to keep up with, or pass, traffic. I would be happy to have a contest with a car to deliver a letter say (obeying the law absolutely) from one side of town to the other at, say, 4 pm on a typical day. I would win easily, especially if an age handicap were part of the game.
  • Options

Interesting. We had an article on here just a few days ago explaining how Labour weren't that dependent on the Scots for their majorities (far less so than in Harold Wilson's day, for example) but it appears to have passed most of the posters here by completely.

It must be horrid to be a PeebieTory. Which do they want, a Labour opposition threatening their ill-gotten gains or a UKIP opposition exposing all their electoral lies? Perhaps they should just organise a military coup and be done with it...

You're getting very bitter. Let's fisk this.

"Labour weren't [aren't] that dependent on the Scots for their majorities (far less so than in Harold Wilson's day, for example)"

The first part is true to an extent; the second is baloney. The only reason it made a difference in 1964 and the 1974 elections is because of the miniscule size of Labour's majorities: the net effect is a good deal greater now. The present government would have a very different complexion were it not for Scotland, for example.

As for 'Labour can win without Scotland', yes, as Mike pointed out and as the 1997-2005 results make clear. But the task is bigger: Labour have to gain more seats with fewer available. It's rare for a party to gain more than sixty seats at an election so even adding another twelve to the list actually represents quite a challenge.

As for your second paragraph, what's that about? You're in danger of disappearing down a conspiracy black hole.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Yesterday I was speaking to a early 70s life long labour voter in the central belt. A year ago he was a certain "no", now he's a very fixed "yes". I asked why the change, he explained at great length it was the farcically bad, patronising nature of the "no" campaign, with their endless scare stories that he said, "no one believes any more".

He also said that it was clear Milliband wasn't going to get over the line, and a "yes" vote was the only way to avoid a new tory government.

I have been a lone voice on here for the last 6 months saying that you could feel the change. It is getting stronger all the time , hard to see how NO can stem the flow now.

PS, I should credit Easterross for saying similar thing if not quite as stridently from the highlands.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,223
    Sean_F said:

I find it odd that anyone would favour permanent constitutional change because of fleeting party political advantage.

Not as fleeting as that, surely: think how long it is since Mr Blair took over. It reflects a much deeper underlying, and repeated, Scottish frustration of voting for one lot and getting the other lot (whether the Tories or Blairite Labour) imposed by a much larger electorate down south. And it does look from the current reportage that even Labour voters are beginning to give up on the Labour party completely (which would surprise me if it is a major change, I admit). All those are to do with pretty long term and structural changes in politics.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The fact that Osborne has failed in his pledge to wipe out the deficit means further savings have to come and the HoL no longer remains affordable on a value for money basis.It has to go and Osborne is to blame.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I've gone the other way. A few days ago I was almost certain YES would win, as Better Together blundered over the precipice.

Now I think Westminster has woken up to the very real danger, esp Labour, and they will pour money and resources into winning. More importantly, they will cobble together some Devomax offer, if the polls are truly dire, through the summer. Devomax is what the Scots obviously want. The unionists will be forced to offer it, or face the break up of the UK - and the impoverishment of both sides.
    Sean, we are not as stupid as you seem to think , the question is YES or NO. There will not be any extra powers or Devo Max or Devo anything. A NO would mean Westminster can run roughshod over us, people will not make the mistake of thinking these liars will change their spots.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Not as fleeting as that, surely: think how long it is since Mr Blair took over. It reflects a much deeper underlying, and repeated, Scottish frustration of voting for one lot and getting the other lot (whether the Tories or Blairite Labour) imposed by a much larger electorate down south. And it does look from the current reportage that even Labour voters are beginning to give up on the Labour party completely (which would surprise me if it is a major change, I admit). All those are to do with pretty long term and structural changes in politics.

Carnyx, they have been on the move from Labour for 10 years on Holyrood voting , many only stayed Labour for Westminster to try and stop Tories. Milliband's fixation with making labour as Tory as possible to win English votes is just about the final straw.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Well this'll work:

And a better shottie at a peerage, remember.

You didn't mention how the SNP's policy explains the underrepresentation of small parties in the HoL. Of course, the SNP refuse to accept peerages (an expulsion offence) or to appoint them [delegating 'civic' peerages to a civil servants' committee]. Logical in itself, if one is aiming to dissolve the UK, but also guaranteed to drive Scottish Labour even more berserk with its surprisingly simple yet powerful seizing of what many see as a height of the moral high ground.
    No, I didn't; I didn't mention Northern Ireland either - I'd have liked to have done but eventually I cut both parts to save space. You're right: the SNP and Sinn Fein's refusal to take part in the Lords is one of the reasons for the under-representation but apart from the (ex-)UUP, every minor party is under-represented in the Lords so it's not just about abstentionism.

That said, I'm not sure I accept the SNP's logic of taking part in the Commons but not in the Lords. Yes, an MP is for an electoral term whereas a peerage is for life but so what? On independence, it'd just become a courtesy title and even if it still theoretically allowed the peer to sit in a rUK Lords (I doubt it but it's possible), the SNP could impose a requirement for such peers to take 'leave of absence'.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@david_herdson:

Parties become extinct only when there is another party that better represents the interest group that is their supporters.

So, unless someone believes the Conservatives become (a) socially conservative, and (b) completely Eurosceptic, and therefore represent that interest group better than UKIP, then UKIP will continue to exist.

The party that is most in danger of losing its natural constituency to another is the Liberal Democrats: Cameron's Conservatives have a similar emphasis to the Orange Book liberals.

If you are the Conservative Party, the question is whether you win back two voters on the UKIP side for every one you lose on the Liberal Democrat side, or vice versa.

For British democracy as a whole, the question is if views and interests have fragmented so completely as to make getting 40% of the vote impossibly difficult. If so, we are all going to have to get used to more coalitions, whether we like it or not.

I agree with all that. It's one reason I've come round to PR.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

He was seeking a return to "traditional Labour" - something he saw no prospect of in a United Kingdom with "Scottish" Labour run from London and Blair's heirs.....
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Another good blog Antifrank. One observation on Scottish LibDem seats. Many 2010 Scottish LibDem voters originally came from the Tory side, not the left. If those I speak to are anything like representative, they will be voting Tory next year since they no longer see LibDem as an acceptable alternative to voting Tory and they couldn't bring themselves to vote for the lefties. In rural Scotland the LibDems are seen as being centre-centre right. After all their MPs include a Viscount, a Baronet and a Knight.

Tory selection in Angus today so hope they pick the correct candidate.
  • Options
    Toms said:

JJ: Regarding cycle lanes you may be right. I have very little experience of them. In this country they are really mostly just a cobbled well meant effort. But for the timorous and/or slow cyclist they are probably much better than nothing. I just use the road and am usually easily able to keep up with, or pass, traffic. I would be happy to have a contest with a car to deliver a letter say (obeying the law absolutely) from one side of town to the other at, say, 4 pm on a typical day. I would win easily, especially if an age handicap were part of the game.

I'm generally just a leisure I've-got-time-and-it's-a-nice-day-so-I'll-ride-in sort of cyclist. I've got a crummy mountain bike, so I average about ten MPH. Cycle lanes are a boon for me, as the traffic is so much faster.
  • Options

Toms said:

I'm generally just a leisure I've-got-time-and-it's-a-nice-day-so-I'll-ride-in sort of cyclist. I've got a crummy mountain bike, so I average about ten MPH. Cycle lanes are a boon for me, as the traffic is so much faster.
    All (legal) cycling's good. Cyclists are my brothers and sisters.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

But with devolution, does that really matter? Scotland can and does do its own thing anyway. Yes, there are Barnett consequentials and all that but Holyrood has a degree of tax-raising powers if it wants to use them so Old Labour voters could still support a high-tax/high-spend platform.

That said, I accept that what actually matters and what's perceived to matter are two different things.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

It may only be a small straw in but a breath of wind but on Comment is Free recently there have been a couple of posts praising Clegg for sticking to his guns under some pretty nasty fire.

The posters have been rubbished, of course, but it does make one wonder.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited April 2014
    Sean, we are not as stupid as you seem to think , the question is YES or NO. There will not be any extra powers or Devo Max or Devo anything. A NO would mean Westminster can run roughshod over us, people will not make the mistake of thinking these liars will change their spots.

Agree, the question is "yes' or "no", for Better Together to even start a conversation about Devomax would be an admission of defeat.

The problem with Westminister throwing resources and people at it is no one will listen anymore. In politics, you connect with people, then they listen to you. "no" has failed to connect. Milliband is a drag on them, Cameron is a drag on them, Clegg is a drag on them, Frange is a drag on them.

Labours 80s strategy of english = tory is killing them 30 years later.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

I've gone the other way. A few days ago I was almost certain YES would win, as Better Together blundered over the precipice.

Now I think Westminster has woken up to the very real danger, esp Labour, and they will pour money and resources into winning. More importantly, they will cobble together some Devomax offer, if the polls are truly dire, through the summer. Devomax is what the Scots obviously want. The unionists will be forced to offer it, or face the break up of the UK - and the impoverishment of both sides.
    This is really a reply to Sean T.

A cobbled together Devomax plan is unlikely to work. Almost every Scottish Labour voter I have seen interviewed on TV news programmes up here in the past few days have said the Miliband posturing is too little too late and they just don't believe Labour will offer anything the Scots either want or would accept.

One thing almost all, if not all Scottish PBers agree is that it is working class Scottish Labour voters in the sprawling housing estates in Central Scotland who will determine the outcome of the IndyRef and all the anecdotal evidence is they are moving more and more towards YES. I have never hid my utter contempt for Gordon Brown but he was most definitely Scottish which is why Labour had one of its best Scottish results in 2010. Ed Milibland on the other hand is seen as another posh boy from the Home Counties with little knowledge and no understanding of the Scots. The TV news coverage yesterday showed how awkward he looked and felt among the SLAB 'great and the good'.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

But with devolution, does that really matter? Scotland can and does do its own thing anyway. Yes, there are Barnett consequentials and all that but Holyrood has a degree of tax-raising powers if it wants to use them so Old Labour voters could still support a high-tax/high-spend platform.

That said, I accept that what actually matters and what's perceived to matter are two different things.
    The other thing is if Scotland becomes independent, it's unlikely to go for socialism in one country. Like Ireland, or the Baltic states, it will want to attract international investment, which will mean a lean state and low taxes.
  • Options

"Labour weren't [aren't] that dependent on the Scots for their majorities (far less so than in Harold Wilson's day, for example)"

The first part is true to an extent; the second is baloney. The only reason it made a difference in 1964 and the 1974 elections is because of the miniscule size of Labour's majorities: the net effect is a good deal greater now. The present government would have a very different complexion were it not for Scotland, for example.

As for 'Labour can win without Scotland', yes, as Mike pointed out and as the 1997-2005 results make clear. But the task is bigger: Labour have to gain more seats with fewer available. It's rare for a party to gain more than sixty seats at an election so even adding another twelve to the list actually represents quite a challenge.

As for your second paragraph, what's that about? You're in danger of disappearing down a conspiracy black hole.
    David: I should have excepted you. Please accept my apologies - but Sean Thomas and one or two of the others have that effect on me... sometimes I think it would be better for me if I got banned...

On the impact of Scottish independence on Labour, who can say, really? Mightn't an independent Scots government have bought off Mick McGahey at the end of '73, and so denying the NUM leadership (Scargill's writ didn't run beyond Yorkshire then) a majority for strike action in England? And in '64 a hung Parliament might merely have produced Wilson's overall majority sooner...

The past is a guide to the future, but only of sorts.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,607
    What are the Lib Dems for? Like the Tories but not as nasty, like Labour but economically sane: is this really a viable, distinct point in the spectrum? When the Tories want to snarl in perfect righteousness about the EU far away from power there is room for a good sized party but the Cameroons are more interested in power than silly obsessions and this leaves very little room. Their only long term hope was replacing Labour as a sane party of the left and they have positioned themselves all wrong for that.
  • Options

David: I should have excepted you. Please accept my apologies - but Sean Thomas and one or two of the others have that effect on me... sometimes I think it would be better for me if I got banned...

On the impact of Scottish independence on Labour, who can say, really? Mightn't an independent Scots government have bought off Mick McGahey at the end of '73, and so denying the NUM leadership (Scargill's writ didn't run beyond Yorkshire then) a majority for strike action in England? And in '64 a hung Parliament might merely have produced Wilson's overall majority sooner...

The past is a guide to the future, but only of sorts.

Apology accepted - no worries. Would love to stay longer but am off out now to sing. Have fun all!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Morning Sean, I was referring to interviews like that one in my earlier posting. That was done in the centre of Glasgow at the new pedestrian bridge in front of the Scottish Enterprise building. He spoke for working class Labour voters. For them the class war is still important and virtually their sole reason for involvement in politics. 1970s Labour is alive and well among Labour grassroots in Scotland and the SLAB leadership just ignores them at their peril.

An aspect of the "would Labour win without Scotland" debate is funding. Not only will Labour lose c40 MPs when Scotland leaves the UK but as Scotland is more heavily dependent on the public sector, disproportionately there must be a much higher trade union membership in Scotland and they all chip in their cash to the Labour coffers.

Sean T encouraged Ed and chums to pile cash and effort into saving the Union. The problem is Labour doesn't have any cash. Having jumped from the Coop Bank, probably before it was pushed, it has sold itself to the Unity Bank which I understand is trade union owned. Just how much money does Labour have and would Ed and chums really think about spending any of it on a probable lost cause in Scotland when people like Ed Balls know their own seats wouldn't take much to dislodge, given how close the polls currently are!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited April 2014
    Heads up for a big turn in the European debate next week. European judges have brought forward a judgement on a UK appeal against the proposed financial transaction tax, almost certainly meaning they intend to turn the appeal down.

The financial transaction tax is cunningly designed to destroy the UK's only world leading industry whilst making money for the rest of Europe at the same time.

Of course the UK will continue fighting against the tax, but it will expose how foreigners are able and quite happy to think up laws that are very hostile to our economic well being.

Absolute manna from heaven for Farage.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Morning Sean, I was referring to interviews like that one in my earlier posting. That was done in the centre of Glasgow at the new pedestrian bridge in front of the Scottish Enterprise building. He spoke for working class Labour voters. For them the class war is still important and virtually their sole reason for involvement in politics. 1970s Labour is alive and well among Labour grassroots in Scotland and the SLAB leadership just ignores them at their peril.

An aspect of the "would Labour win without Scotland" debate is funding. Not only will Labour lose c40 MPs when Scotland leaves the UK but as Scotland is more heavily dependent on the public sector, disproportionately there must be a much higher trade union membership in Scotland and they all chip in their cash to the Labour coffers.

Sean T encouraged Ed and chums to pile cash and effort into saving the Union. The problem is Labour doesn't have any cash. Having jumped from the Coop Bank, probably before it was pushed, it has sold itself to the Unity Bank which I understand is trade union owned. Just how much money does Labour have and would Ed and chums really think about spending any of it on a probable lost cause in Scotland when people like Ed Balls know their own seats wouldn't take much to dislodge, given how close the polls currently are!
    It could be that Scottish and English political cultures are now so distinct that separation is inevitable (Conservatives and UKIP poll c. 50% South of the Border, 15% North of it). Yet, there are other countries with massive political differences (eg Red State and Blue State America) that stay together.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Toms said:

If you check your council's website, they may offer a cycle lane/route map.

These aren't always signposted very well, but with a map can provide good low traffic alternatives to the main roads.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2014

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

Ed Milibland on the other hand is seen as another posh boy from the Home Counties with little knowledge and no understanding of the Scots. The TV news coverage yesterday showed how awkward he looked and felt among the SLAB 'great and the good'.
    I caught of view of tv at some event the other day where the SLAB 'great and the good' walked into a room of supporters with "great" Ed their Leader. They looked like a bunch of ill dressed second raters. I could not find a direct pic so here is one of the three of them pounding the streets. The Mormons are better kitted out than these when seeking to influence people!
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2012/4/17439413.JPG

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Oh and YES is toast too.

With English breakfast tea.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Good morning, everyone.

Cameron would not, and should not, have to resign. He hasn't made a stupid military blunder, lied to Parliament or committed some sort of offence. What could he do differently? Refuse the referendum after the SNP won a majority? Deny devolution itself? He was not responsible for that stupid act of Labour.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Maybe Parris has started reading Sean's blog posts.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

The supposed tax raising power is useless. HMRC cannot collect it for starters and if it i sintroduced Westminster just cut the pocket money by the same amount. So unless the Scottish government was insane they would never use it , same applies to the increased amount that labour are promising as jam tomorrow, totally useless and actually a wa yto reduce funding in reality.
  • Options

Agree, the question is "yes' or "no", for Better Together to even start a conversation about Devomax would be an admission of defeat.

The problem with Westminister throwing resources and people at it is no one will listen anymore. In politics, you connect with people, then they listen to you. "no" has failed to connect. Milliband is a drag on them, Cameron is a drag on them, Clegg is a drag on them, Frange is a drag on them.

Labours 80s strategy of english = tory is killing them 30 years later.

Yes the great shadow cabinet visit yesterday, nobody saw them , at last minute they held a secret meeting with a few selected supporters in Motherwell, no public allowed and no MSM or TV to be able to ask questions.
    What a success.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

Ed Milibland on the other hand is seen as another posh boy from the Home Counties with little knowledge and no understanding of the Scots. The TV news coverage yesterday showed how awkward he looked and felt among the SLAB 'great and the good'.
    I caught of view of tv at some event the other day where the SLAB 'great and the good' walked into a room of supporters with "great" Ed their Leader. They looked like a bunch of ill dressed second raters. I could not find a direct pic so here is one of the three of them pounding the streets. The Mormons are better kitted out than these when seeking to influence people!
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2012/4/17439413.JPG

They would not even make second raters
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Oh and YES is toast too.

Had 3 good mugs of it already this morning, hopefully we will still be able to import it after September.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Sean_F said:

It could be that Scottish and English political cultures are now so distinct that separation is inevitable (Conservatives and UKIP poll c. 50% South of the Border, 15% North of it). Yet, there are other countries with massive political differences (eg Red State and Blue State America) that stay together.

In a paraphrase of one famous man, red state and blue state America are not as divided as their politics suggest. In Utah, the more red state at the last election, Obama got 24% of the vote. In Hawaii, Romney got 28%. And those really were outliers too. Romney got 37% in California and Obama got 41% in Texas.

Plus they all have a common American identity, and virtually all Americans have a mindset that that stands for the principles of liberty, republicanism, constitutionalism and individual rights. The problem we have with Scotland is that British identity has collapsed, on both sides of the border. That has been the result of governments of both stripes being afraid to speak up for Britishness in anything but the most wishy-washy terms, and only rarely at that.

If we had a clearly voiced argument by our leaders of what Britain stood for - the rule of law, common law, constitutionalism, religious freedom, parliamentary democracy, etc - we might never have got to this point. But then we might start asking more questions about how the EU and government authoritarianism are eroding these, and it might upset certain immigrant groups that don't sign up for these, so they don't want to.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

Get a grip. Of course he would resign. He would have to resign. Morally and politically. Losing the union would an epochal catastrophe.

The closest parallel is Lord North's defeat in a no confidence motion in 1783.

But he had just been trounced at Yorktown. Cameron hasn't been
  • Options
    @SeanT

Full fiscal independence would be so close to independence anyway that it will mean the final step is even easier a few years down the road. You can't call yourself a common country and not have any common debate about the level of taxation and spending. Switzerland, the USA, Canada and all the other successful federations don't have that.
  • Options
    @taffy

The FTT is an enhanced co-operation thing, isn't it? Doesn't that mean it won't apply to the UK?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. T, I disagree.
  • Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

Get a grip. Of course he would resign. He would have to resign. Morally and politically. Losing the union would an epochal catastrophe.

If only we'd have listened to William Pitt then we could have set up an early system of home rule for the American colonies then, applied it to Ireland and Scotland later, and we wouldn't be having any of these problems now.
  • Options

Toms said:

If you check your council's website, they may offer a cycle lane/route map.

These aren't always signposted very well, but with a map can provide good low traffic alternatives to the main roads.
    Thanks. Cambridge is quite good at that sort of thing:
    http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/info/20020/cycling/13/cycle_routes_and_maps (*)

From my village of Cambourne, there's an off-road bridleway that takes me all the way to Coton and the university that's a great ride in summer. It beats the Madingley Road grind (especially now there's road works with the Cambridge west development).

But fortunately I don't have to do it too often.

(*) It's good to see them using Open Street Map for their maps as well.
  • Options
    Local elections
    I'm trying to find a candidate list for my local council. Is there a typical heading this would be under?

I've found the EU Parliament candidate list under "statements of parties and individual candidates".
  • Options
    When the FTT comes in, I wonder how much of the financial sector of Frankfurt, Vienna and Berlin will move to Luxembourg, and how much will move to London.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2014
    Dr Stephen Fisher's latest weekly update of his long term 2015 General Election seats forecast shows the following, including changes over the last four weeks:

Con ........ 305 (- 8)
    Lab ......... 285 (+6)
    LibDem .... 32 (+2)
    Others ..... 28* (nc)

Total ...... 650

* Assuming the total of 28 seats shown as being won by "Others" include 18 for NI, 8 for the SNP and 2 for Plaid Cymru, his estimate for UKIP and the Greens, etc appears to be decidedly modest.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Local elections
    I'm trying to find a candidate list for my local council. Is there a typical heading this would be under?

I've found the EU Parliament candidate list under "statements of parties and individual candidates".

Which council ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I don't think some posters want to understand just how catastrophic it would be. The UK economy is screwed - drowning in an explosion of debt, of diminishing assets, zombie banks and a currency increasingly devaluing past the point where it can sustain citizens day to day basic needs like the ability to pau bills and buy food. The only saving grace is that other economies and currencies are in a more perilous state than ours and will probably fall over first.

Until that is a large chunk of UK territory and resources secedes. Never mind who will be the lender of last resort in Scotland, how about in a UK where the bed of sand our economy floats on gets swept away. Western economies are in a far worse state than 07/08 kept alive only by unified central bank actions in blowing warm air into the corpse. Upset this illusion and we scare investors, they flee, others suddenly realise that their confidence was a trick and we lose a bank or two, then a sovereign or two and the whole thing comes down.

The Spanish get this - an out vote in Catalonia would impolode the Spanish corpse so they've declared the vote unconstitutional. We don't have that luxury, so instead we seem to be hoping the vote will go away if we ignore it, and anyway if the Scotch are silly enough to go its a Tory England forever hussah! Nope, it's that last bit of plastic on Buckaroo's back, it kicks, we all fall down.
  • Options

Local elections

If it is Reading , then it is one of the 6 councils where it has not yet been published .
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@taffy

The FTT is an enhanced co-operation thing, isn't it? Doesn't that mean it won't apply to the UK?

They want to charge it on trades done in London by banks with either headquarters or significant operations in the Eurozone
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

If only we'd have listened to William Pitt then we could have set up an early system of home rule for the American colonies then, applied it to Ireland and Scotland later, and we wouldn't be having any of these problems now.
    And India probably wouldn't be part of the Commonwealth
  • Options

Local elections

If it is Reading , then it is one of the 6 councils where it has not yet been published .
    Thanks.

• Options

a currency increasingly devaluing

Have you looked at the exchange rate recently?

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Correct, but the tax will apply when at least one member state is participating in it. So if a British broker deals with a German company, the tax is applicable, as far as I can see.

business will flood to Singapore and New York, even though the UK is not part of this agreement.
  • Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

Chamberlain in 1940. Although IIRC he actually won the vote of confidence.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Oh and YES is toast too.

Had 3 good mugs of it already this morning, hopefully we will still be able to import it after September.
    Likewise I'll need my supply of Scottish Breakfast Tea. If border crossing becomes onerous, we can set up a tea exchange programme Malcolm. Maybe we will become famous as the tea smugglers that began the great rebirth of cross border cooperation!
  • Options

Charles said:

SeanT said:

Chamberlain in 1940. Although IIRC he actually won the vote of confidence.
    I was going more for loss of a major part of the family than beaten in war.
  • Options

Local elections

Thanks.

The SOPN should have been published by 5 pm yesterday but there are still a few councils which consider that it is done by sticking the information on a notice board outside the town hall and not on the council website .
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited April 2014
    Given that IndyScot will not initially be in the EU then duty-free should be available on flights to Glasgow and Edinburgh from rUK. Maybe, as well, there'll be big duty free shops on the border at Berwick and Carlisle.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Vs other devaluing currencies? So what? Whats the exchange rate against a weeks rent or wheat or coffee or other staples? The reason why people feel so skint is that the pound buys increasingly less than it did. Its exchange rate against commodities and assets is sliding. Go ask the bosses at Tesco. Or any of the supermarkets.

• Options

Local elections

Thanks.

The SOPN should have been published by 5 pm yesterday but there are still a few councils which consider that it is done by sticking the information on a notice board outside the town hall and not on the council website .
    !
    I'll pop down to the civic offices and see. Thanks again. :-)

• Options

Charles said:

Vs other devaluing currencies? So what? Whats the exchange rate against a weeks rent or wheat or coffee or other staples? The reason why people feel so skint is that the pound buys increasingly less than it did. Its exchange rate against commodities and assets is sliding. Go ask the bosses at Tesco. Or any of the supermarkets.

That statement makes no sense.

Commodities are often priced in dollars, so (at the moment) the exchange rate is moving in our favour.

Commodity pricing is very volatile. Growth in China (faster/slower) has much more impact on iron & steel pricing. Misguided green policies and weather events drive food prices. Geopolitical concerns and global economic growth are the major driver of oil prices.

Nothing to do with the "exchange rate against commodities". Which doesn't actually *exist* as a concept.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Having been close to the HoL for some time, it would appear that its debates and outcomes are far better when many members who are not politically aligned are involved.

The HoL was not meant to be a retirement home for ex-ministers/MPs and as a reliable revising chamber (who hold the Executive to account) should revert to a membership composed of people with a wide variety of expertise and experience who have been used to running and managing things and for whom political alignment is their last priority and not their first.
  • Options

Given that IndyScot will not initially be in the EU then duty-free should be available on flights to Glasgow and Edinburgh from rUK. Maybe, as well, there'll be big duty free shops on the border at Berwick and Carlisle.

Do you think they could do that fun thing with a passport check point in the middle of the store?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Dr Stephen Fisher's latest weekly update of his long term 2015 General Election seats forecast shows the following, including changes over the last four weeks:

Con ........ 305 (- 8)
    Lab ......... 285 (+6)
    LibDem .... 32 (+2)
    Others ..... 28* (nc)

Total ...... 650

* Assuming the total of 28 seats shown as being won by "Others" include 18 for NI, 8 for the SNP and 2 for Plaid Cymru, his estimate for UKIP and the Greens, etc appears to be decidedly modest.

Dr Fisher's "projection" is slowly coming round to close to consensus. So why has he departed from his 97% or whatever certainty of a Tory win ? The polls are not that different.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Correct, but the tax will apply when at least one member state is participating in it. So if a British broker deals with a German company, the tax is applicable, as far as I can see.

business will flood to Singapore and New York, even though the UK is not part of this agreement.

If the business in question is with a German company, than the tax will still apply if the other side is in New York or Singapore.
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

@taffy

They want to charge it on trades done in London by banks with either headquarters or significant operations in the Eurozone
    In participating countries perhaps - not Luxembourg or the Netherlands, who are opting out. The banks will move their operations to London and Luxembourg.
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

And India probably wouldn't be part of the Commonwealth
    Why not?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    surbiton said:

Con ........ 305 (- 8)
    Lab ......... 285 (+6)
    LibDem .... 32 (+2)
    Others ..... 28* (nc)

Total ...... 650

Dr Fisher's "projection" is slowly coming round to close to consensus. So why has he departed from his 97% or whatever certainty of a Tory win ? The polls are not that different.
    He's probably realised a Tory majority is nigh on impossible if Labour poll over 30-31. They would have to produce a shocker of a manifesto to go that low.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Whats the exchange rate against a weeks rent or wheat or coffee or other staples?"

Struggling to follow you there, old boy. A week's rent is charged in sterling so exchange rates make no difference. Commodities don't have their own currency they are priced in a nation's currency, usually US dollars. Sterling is not going down against the USD, quite the reverse in fact. It currently stands not for short of $1.70. In the not so distant past if has been as low as close to parity and we survived that without the economy let alone civil society collapsing.

I think you might be just a tad over the top in predicting catastrophe if Scotland goes it own way.
This discussion has been closed.