Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Most of the counting following the May 22nd local elections

SystemSystem Posts: 11,742
edited April 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Most of the counting following the May 22nd local elections will take place the following day

The latest information 68 councils intend to count overnight and 93 to start counting on Friday. So all the fun will come on the Friday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,340
    edited April 2014
    Which date is that?

Sorry, couldn't resist ...

Edit: why do they count the next day? Is it simply a cost issue? If so, do we have any idea how much is saved?

Oh, and first.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Looking at the last two threads it seems UKIP supporters are going to be told to go to the polling station on the wrong day and hoodwinked into voting for the wrong party if they manage to get there!

It's like wacky races with OGH as Dick Darstadly!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Incidentally, I was surprised that the sums made (about £140 or so) for counting were so much (these were mentioned sometime recently, I think). I did vote counting once (locals or euros, I forget which) and got something like £40 for it, I think.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The Sun are saying UKIP are going to double their vote in the EU elections and run Labour close

"An exclusive YouGov poll for The Sun revealed the anti-EU party is set to win a jumbo 27% of the nation's support on May 22, the highest figure ever notched up by any outsider"

So lets not start saying that it will be seen as a disaster if they don't win eh?

This is how the public will see it

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5584190/Ukips-euro-election-vote-will-more-than-double.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,044

Which date is that?

Edit: why do they count the next day? Is it simply a cost issue? If so, do we have any idea how much is saved?

Oh, and first.

It's cheaper, and counters are less likely to make mistakes if they're not up late.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,340
    isam said:

Looking at the last two threads it seems UKIP supporters are going to be told to go to the polling station on the wrong day and hoodwinked into voting for the wrong party if they manage to get there!

It's an intelligence test. If you don't turn up on the right date, or put the cross in the box you wanted, you don't deserve the vote...

Needless to say, :-)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    isam said:

Enjoy it while you can, Avery and Navabi will back bright and early tomorrow morning to resume their usual Kipper Trolling
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @JosiasJessop
    Chances are counting everything would take a while, so doing it the next day would save a fair bit
  • Options
    Is Kipper trolling related to herring trawling?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    @Marke09
    For some reason, the PEBs are done in different weeks for each nation. Perhaps its to spread out any advantage/disadvantage?

"Each country has their own set of broadcasts. The Conservatives were on in Wales as well (with a similar, but not identical broadcast to England), plus the SNP in Scotland and Sinn Fein in NI. The SNP one is notable for failing to mention Europe at all, being entirely on the topic of independence.

The current schedule is

ENGLAND
    WEEK 1: none / Con / UKIP / Lab / LD
    WEEK 2: Grn / BNP / Con / UKIP / ??

SCOTLAND
    WEEK 1: none / SNP / Lab / Con / LD
    WEEK 2: Grn / Lab / Con / LD / SNP

WALES
    WEEK 1: none / Con / Lab / PC / UKIP
    WEEK 2: LD / ?? / Con / UKIP / ??

NORTHERN IRELAND
    WEEK 1: none / SF / DUP / UUP / SDLP
    WEEK 2: All / TUV / SF / UUP / DUP"

Read more: http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/4153

Which is odd, because I thought we'd already had the LD one.
  • Options

FPT @Antifrank

Presumably UKIP are in the Arkansas chuggabug.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penelope Pitstop is the UK and UKIP are the Anthill Mob
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Blast from the past — London local elections 1982:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdfxWOQ9dIs&amp
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Smarmeron said:

Is Kipper trolling related to herring trawling?

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,745
    On Topic, is there a list of which Councils are counting overnight, and which on Friday? (I know that Lambeth is on Friday, and assume that applies to all London Boroughs but...)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,969
    How does one get a job counting votes? I'd be up for that.

I think Harrow is counting overnight, so it might be borough by borough and not one time for all of London.
  • Options
    I don't think UKIP will have a Scottish PEB.

"Ukip will be given the same status as the Conservatives, Labour and Liberal Democrats for election broadcasts and news coverage of the May 22 contest.

However, it only applies to England and Wales as Ukip's limited support in Scotland means it will not have to be treated as a major party by broadcasters north of the border or in news coverage focusing solely on Scottish constituencies."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10674846/Ukip-must-be-treated-like-any-major-party-Ofcom-rules.html

So the scots will just have to tune in to YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ukipofficial
  • Options
    Oh cant we have the last thread back???!!!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Lennon said:

On Topic, is there a list of which Councils are counting overnight, and which on Friday? (I know that Lambeth is on Friday, and assume that applies to all London Boroughs but...)

I've been trying to find such a list - so far without success.

• Options
    @Freggles

pretty good description of the press.....no wonder they pretended not to understand it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Quincel said:

How does one get a job counting votes? I'd be up for that.

I think Harrow is counting overnight, so it might be borough by borough and not one time for all of London.

Ring your local council Electoral Services office. It's a "voluntary" job, but paid - voluntary in the sense that nobody is forced to do it!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited April 2014
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead up two to five points: CON 32%, LAB 37%, LD 10%, UKIP 15%

UKIP up 3

• Options

Lennon said:

I've been trying to find such a list - so far without success.

Sigh... Time to start looking at council websites for those I care about then.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead up two to five points: CON 32%, LAB 37%, LD 10%, UKIP 15%

UKIP up 3

Swingback my baby to me, to me...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    How about a SCOTTISH thread.
  • Options
    Up and down like a brides nighty.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Not sure if anyone saw this
    electionista ‏@electionista 10m
    UK - average of #EP2014 polls:

LAB 31.6%
    UKIP 26.4%
    CON 22.9%
    LDEM 8.6%
    GRN 4.2%

Paddy Power still have Evens on most seats for Lab and William Hill are offering 6/5 party with most votes.
    As Mike pointed out there's not long before the postal vote has been posted back so little time for them to change things.After spending the day in hospital I can only say the feedback from the wards is that the response to UKIP's posters was to increase nausea,amongst the nursing staff, so maybe the poster campaign has made as many minds up agin UKIP as for them.UKIP, too,has been targetted by the Murdoch owned press,and now has the BBC's Nick Robinson up their backs.I have no doubt the fruitier aspects of some of UKIP's brethren other than Farage will draw unfavourable attention alongside soon.Even so they may claw a bit more back,not enough I think to beat a 5% + poll lead
    Labour's campaign on the bread and butter issues that people care about is nothing earthshattering but steady and solid.
    All of which means that a trip to WH is in order for a point's worth at 6/5.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,611
    5% Labour lead. Who was trying to claim we were not getting outliers any more?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

Which date is that?

Oh, and first.

And all the candidates are on edge and knackered on the election day itself. So you have a load of tired, fed up people having to scrutinise and make decisions - not good and the atmosphere is rough.

Coming in the next day after a good night's sleep and just that bit of distance, the atmosphere is much better, in my experience
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes indeed, a low result given the underlying lead of 10%. :-)

• Options

Not sure if anyone saw this
    electionista ‏@electionista 10m
    UK - average of #EP2014 polls:

LAB 31.6%
    UKIP 26.4%
    CON 22.9%
    LDEM 8.6%
    GRN 4.2%

Paddy Power still have Evens on most seats for Lab and William Hill are offering 6/5 party with most votes.
    As Mike pointed out there's not long before the postal vote has been posted back so little time for them to change things.After spending the day in hospital I can only say the feedback from the wards is that the response to UKIP's posters was to increase nausea,amongst the nursing staff, so maybe the poster campaign has made as many minds up agin UKIP as for them.UKIP, too,has been targetted by the Murdoch owned press,and now has the BBC's Nick Robinson up their backs.I have no doubt the fruitier aspects of some of UKIP's brethren other than Farage will draw unfavourable attention alongside soon.Even so they may claw a bit more back,not enough I think to beat a 5% + poll lead
    Labour's campaign on the bread and butter issues that people care about is nothing earthshattering but steady and solid.
    All of which means that a trip to WH is in order for a point's worth at 6/5.

...and UKIP are +3 to 15% in tonight's YouGov
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    The Tory tag line for the European elections seems to be "only we can delivery change in Europe".

Well you won the last European elections and have led the government for the last four years. What change have you delivered so far? A smaller increase to the UK contribution?
  • Options
    As I'm guest editing the site when the results come out, I'm really annoyed the Euro results are coming out on the Sunday night, when I'll be at a concert watching the Nine Inch Nails.

Can't they move the Euro results to assist me, please.

Despite the venue being the Phones4U arena, there's bugger all internet connectivity on your mobile phone in there.

• Options
    The Times editorial is urging Boris to run for parliament next year.
  • Options

As I'm guest editing the site when the results come out, I'm really annoyed the Euro results are coming out on the Sunday night, when I'll be at a concert watching the Nine Inch Nails.

Can't they move the Euro results to assist me, please.

Despite the venue being the Phones4U arena, there's bugger all internet connectivity on your mobile phone in there.

They've already been moved three weeks on here tonight
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Please enlighten me what the UKIP MEPs have achieved in the last five years, apart from fine dining and employing German secretaries?
    Socrates said:

The Tory tag line for the European elections seems to be "only we can delivery change in Europe".

Well you won the last European elections and have led the government for the last four years. What change have you delivered so far? A smaller increase to the UK contribution?

• Options
    tpfkar said:

Which date is that?

Oh, and first.

And all the candidates are on edge and knackered on the election day itself. So you have a load of tired, fed up people having to scrutinise and make decisions - not good and the atmosphere is rough.

Coming in the next day after a good night's sleep and just that bit of distance, the atmosphere is much better, in my experience
    Interesting - makes some degree of sense. Also - is it worth going to the count as a first time candidate? Means taking a day off work, but potentially interesting?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I had to check each individual council webpage to get the results of the 2013 local elections. Took ages but was worth it to get the complete picture.

At least it's better than the US situation where you had to check websites for each individual county to get the results for a particular state. In Illinois, for example, that meant checking 102 websites.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes indeed, a low result given the underlying lead of 10%. :-)

I thought this was pedanticbetting.com ?

Surely you mean 10 *point* lead?

Maths indeed ;-)
  • Options

Please enlighten me what the UKIP MEPs have achieved in the last five years, apart from fine dining and employing German secretaries?

Socrates said:

Raised the party's profile to unheard of heights.
    Pressured the Prime Minister into offering an IN/OUT referendum.
  • Options
    @Lennon
    Take two days off. Win lose or draw....it is your sworn duty to get hammered along with your helpers
  • Options
    A referendum that does not happen if you vote UKIP rather than Tory.

isam said:

Socrates said:

• Options
    Press Association hasn't collated the information yet:

http://election.pressassociation.com/declaration_times.php
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,196
    Have we had any yellow boxes today ?

I'm curious as to how Avery would explain away an increase in government borrowing from £81bn to £96bn in his Maxwell style pension fund borrowing counting.

• Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

It will if enough of us do.
  • Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

If UKIP win the GE I think they'll offer one
  • Options
    @foxinsox

You are failing to realise the long term plan, no referendum means all those MP's stay in place, thus bolstering the party coffers to really screw the Tories "nutz"

(take all denials of ukippers as proof that they are trying counter propaganda)
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    At least the Monday after the results night is a Bank Holiday
  • Options
    Fancy a little wager on whether UKIP will have a Westminster majority next year?
    isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Surely if UKIP win the GE then they don't need a referendum - they can just decide that we leave.
  • Options

Fancy a little wager on whether UKIP will have a Westminster majority next year?

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I'll have a tenner with you at 10,000/1
  • Options
    Quiet thread.

You can set your watch by YouGov.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I love how Danny Alexander seriously thinks he can be Lib Dem leader. His naivete is so cute.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2014

isam said:

Socrates said:

It will if enough of us do.
    Wishful thinking.

But back in reality, a Milliband led government will drive through further integration into the European project.

And Nigel keeps riding the gravy train. Toot Toot!
  • Options
    I must say that I'm relieved to discover that government borrowing last year was a few million less than what George Osborne predicted it would be a few weeks ago.

Bit of a pity though that it was also £48 billion quid more than he predicted it would be in his first budget.

To put the £108bn borrowing of 2013/14 into context, in the eleven years Margaret Thatcher was prime minister total government borrowing was approximately £60bn.

• Options
    So you agree that there is statistically zero chance of a UKIP majority? Therefore no referendum, unless of course the Tories win?

No skin off my nose, I am Lib Dem.
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

• Options
    Lennon said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Surely if UKIP win the GE then they don't need a referendum - they can just decide that we leave.
    Hmmm

I suppose electing a UK govt that had withdrawal in it's manifesto would be proxy for an OUT vote, so a referendum wouldn't be necessary

Some might point out that less than 50% had voted for them (if they had) though so it might lack legitimacy

• Options
    @TheWatcher

"Wishful thinking."

I think that has been said before in politics.
  • Options

So you agree that there is statistically zero chance of a UKIP majority? Therefore no referendum, unless of course the Tories win?

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I think that, unless the LibDems are in a coalition, there will be a referendum offered by the next PM
  • Options

isam said:

It's an intelligence test. If you don't turn up on the right date, or put the cross in the box you wanted, you don't deserve the vote...

Needless to say, :-)
    I once had to go for an intelligence test which was part of a job recruitment process.

And went on the wrong date - a week early to be precise.

But I was intelligent enough not to give my name.

A week later I passed the test.

• Options
    I have a cunning plan......let the Russians take over Europe....no more EU?
  • Options
    Damn! that's why Nigel was having a bromance with Putin!
  • Options
    Will a Miliband majority government offer a referendum? Why would they do that?
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I think that, unless the LibDems are in a coalition, there will be a referendum offered by the next PM
  • Options
    edited April 2014

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Because if UKIP win a lot of ex Labour votes next month and win the Euro's, the pressure will be turned up on him
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited April 2014
    Syria: Imported chemical weapons

The other night I mentioned how Western intelligence had identified the Chinese firm that was supplying bulk Chlorine supplies that were making their way to Syria for use in alleged chemical weapons attacks.

In the last few hours the Chinese government has said it is investigating whether one of its own major companies, Norinco, was supplying the gear after Chlorine gas canisters bearing the Chinese combines insignia were reported found on the ground at the sites of alleged attacks.

Interestingly the Chinese statement refers to the Chlorine not just the canisters. In short they are getting their retaliation in first pointing out that Chlorine has many uses. My understanding is that the canisters are supplied empty and the bulk chemical then inserted at locations much closer to Damascus than to Beijing.

The Chinese authorities know exactly what the story is but the fact that they have broken radio silence is interesting.

As I mentioned the other night this is a slow burner.

PS tension on the Israeli Lebanese/Syrian border is very very high.
  • Options
    Apparently most London councils are counting on the Friday rather than overnight. (Info from VoteUK forum).
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Ed needs to get some Fib lessons from Eck.
  • Options
    If Miliband has a majority then what pressure? A kipper tory fight will keep him there for a decade.
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Because if UKIP win a lot of ex Labour votes next month and win the Euro's, the pressure will be turned up on him
  • Options
    I am surprised they don't have their own chlorine production facility, Still, it may have been cheaper to import as it is a bit power hungry
  • Options

I must say that I'm relieved to discover that government borrowing last year was a few million less than what George Osborne predicted it would be a few weeks ago.

Bit of a pity though that it was also £48 billion quid more than he predicted it would be in his first budget.

To put the £108bn borrowing of 2013/14 into context, in the eleven years Margaret Thatcher was prime minister total government borrowing was approximately £60bn.

I think it's striking that these supposedly great borrowing figures have got so little public attention. I don't think it was in the top 10 most-read news stories on BBC all day, and got little prominence on the 10 o'clock news.

Imo, that proves that, contrary to the Westminster bubble's groupthink, normal people just don't care about the public finances or whether the deficit is cut or not, and they never have. In a narrow sense, that might seem to favour the Conservatives, since no-one will care that they failed to meet their promise of eliminating the deficit because they never thought that was important in the first place. But on the other hand, it could potentially favour Labour because it means they can (if they have the balls to withstand jeers from the Westminster chatterati) afford to not pledge to cut the deficit precisely because of that lack of public concern about it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I had to check each individual council webpage to get the results of the 2013 local elections. Took ages but was worth it to get the complete picture.

At least it's better than the US situation where you had to check websites for each individual county to get the results for a particular state. In Illinois, for example, that meant checking 102 websites.

Texas seems to have 254 counties with populations ranging from under 1000 to multi-millions.

Do they ever have local government reorganisations there ?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

If Miliband has a majority then what pressure? A kipper tory fight will keep him there for a decade.

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

He wont know he has a majority until after the election though will he? UKIP will get a lot of votes in Labour areas as well, don't worry about that. Lots of UKIP supporters have voted for both Lab and Con in the past, and Miliband wont want to risk them voting Con in the marginals because of the referendum.

So that's why I think, if UKIP do very well in the Euros/locals next month, Miliband will put a referendum in the manifesto. I bet it at 2/1 with Richard Nabavi yesterday

• Options
    Lennon said:

is it worth going to the count as a first time candidate? Means taking a day off work, but potentially interesting?

Sure - it's not exactly high-octane (too much waiting around) but a nice way to round off the process. It would be a let-down merely to have someone ring you up to say you got 157 votes. Who are you standing for and where? Might you win?

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2014
    Danny565 said:

normal people just don't care about the public finances or whether the deficit is cut or not,.

Certainly that is Labour's best hope. For 2015, anyway. After that it gets trickier as the consequences of profligacy start impinging on ordinary people.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,239
    Danny565 said:

I think it's striking that these supposedly great borrowing figures have got so little public attention. I don't think it was in the top 10 most-read news stories on BBC all day, and got little prominence on the 10 o'clock news.

Imo, that proves that, contrary to the Westminster bubble's groupthink, normal people just don't care about the public finances or whether the deficit is cut or not, and they never have. In a narrow sense, that might seem to favour the Conservatives, since no-one will care that they failed to meet their promise of eliminating the deficit because they never thought that was important in the first place. But on the other hand, it could potentially favour Labour because it means they can (if they have the balls to withstand jeers from the Westminster chatterati) afford to not pledge to cut the deficit precisely because of that lack of public concern about it.
    I think all that really matters is how people feel the situation is going, rather than figures which are always changing anyway. That was why, IIRC, the Tories did not suffer when we entered the now non-existent double dip, because most people did not consider we have ever left it even if a few tenths of a percentage point said otherwise.

It was when they began to appear obviously incompetent that they took a hit. All Labour have to do is avoid making any major cock-ups, and given they are not in government that should be pretty easy, and though they might take some hit from those who do care about such figures and who might cut the deficit faster, most people will not care as much,

• Options

Danny565 said:

normal people just don't care about the public finances or whether the deficit is cut or not,.

Certainly that is Labour's best hope. For 2015, anyway. After that it gets trickier when the consequences of profligacy start impinging on ordinary people.
    YouGov poll, 2 February:

If George Osborne has money to spend at the next budget, which of the following do you think should be his main priority?

Income tax cuts 41%
    Reducing the deficit 22%
    Increasing public spending 21%
    Reducing business taxes 4%
    None/don't know 11%

The public don't exactly seem to be obsessively fretting about supposed "profligacy".
  • Options
    @Danny

Most people don't even know what deficit means, not a Scooby.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Certainly that is Labour's best hope. For 2015, anyway. After that it gets trickier as the consequences of profligacy start impinging on ordinary people.
    Possibly, but there is zero chance they would care about future consequences, when the other approach will win them the election. They are smart, capable people, and no doubt believe that either they will be able to manage any problems that arise, or that the other benefits of a Labour government, in their eyes, are worth the cost of taking that hit later.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

YouGov poll, 2 February:

If George Osborne has money to spend at the next budget, which of the following do you think should be his main priority?

Income tax cuts 41%
    Reducing the deficit 22%
    None/don't know 11%

The public don't exactly seem to be obsessively fretting about supposed "profligacy".

Quite so. That is, as I said, Labour's best hope, for one election. Then what? The deficit still has to be financed.

In any case, I'm not sure that that poll tells you very much, given that it starts from the premise that there is 'money to spend'.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Lennon said:

is it worth going to the count as a first time candidate? Means taking a day off work, but potentially interesting?

Sure - it's not exactly high-octane (too much waiting around) but a nice way to round off the process. It would be a let-down merely to have someone ring you up to say you got 157 votes. Who are you standing for and where? Might you win?
    Thanks - standing for the Pirate Party in a solid Labour ward in Lambeth so you never know, but not expecting to win...
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    RE: BBC10 0Clock (indyref)

Looks like we've got the BBC onside. Bet No - Vote No
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Smarmeron said:

I am surprised they don't have their own chlorine production facility, Still, it may have been cheaper to import as it is a bit power hungry

They do, or did indeed have domestic Chlorine facilities, some of which fell to insurgents as far back as late 2012. Its curious why these weapons are now being used (I have little doubt they are in use) so late on. Certainly the number of alleged attacks is growing by the day. The count over the last weeks is in the 10+ category. They were not part of the declared chemical weapons stock currently in removal from Syria.

There will be those that claim insurgents are responsible but all evidence points to air dropped gas canisters that are in turn packed into barrels with small detonator charges.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

The Tories are way, way off Ozzy's own targets, so this is hardly fertile ground for them either. The "what would you have done?" response when you are entering your fifth year of government.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Pressure on Ed? He'll be drinking toasts to Farage, and sending him flowers.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It must be fascinating watching the votes being unloaded out of the ballot boxes and seeing them pile up for each candidate.

There ought to be a few tickets available for members of the public to observe the process.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Certainly that is Labour's best hope. For 2015, anyway. After that it gets trickier when the consequences of profligacy start impinging on ordinary people.
    YouGov poll, 2 February:

Income tax cuts 41%
    Reducing the deficit 22%
    None/don't know 11%

Although the question is predicated on the assumption the problem is fixed, so it's pretty meaningless
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Pressure on Ed? He'll be drinking toasts to Farage, and sending him flowers.
    Oh well, wont make the slightest difference to me
  • Options
    Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver
    People getting excited about UKIP having election date wrong in PEB. But they are citing a PEB from last year. Whoops pic.twitter.com/t1hj20xteW
  • Options
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 53m
    Tonight's YouGov/Sun poll sees UKIP up 3 to 15 equalling their highest for the year CON 32 LAB 37 LD 10 UKIP 15
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It must be fascinating watching the votes being unloaded out of the ballot boxes and seeing them pile up for each candidate.

There ought to be a few tickets available for members of the public to observe the process.

The bit I'm confused about it is how they count a 3 member ward - if you have voted Lab, Tory, Lib which pile do they put it in / make sure that it's not counted multiple times?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Possibly, but there is zero chance they would care about future consequences, when the other approach will win them the election. They are smart, capable people, and no doubt believe that either they will be able to manage any problems that arise, or that the other benefits of a Labour government, in their eyes, are worth the cost of taking that hit later.

Depends who you're talking about. Darling and Mandelson did take a longer view, but of course they are now non-persons. Balls is reliably dishonest, but he does make at least a token attempt to acknowledge that money doesn't grow on trees. Ed Miliband seems to have reluctantly accepted the same, and is compensating by pretending money can be extracted from evil capitalists such as Centrica.

But, yes, the deficit deniers, be they cynical or (God forbid!) sincere, are certainly still a major force in Labour. That's why the outcome I most fear is a weak Labour-led government in a hung parliament, where they'd have maximum influence.
  • Options
    I am curious why you believe that Miliband will make and honour that promise, while a promise from Cameron already in existance counts for nothing.

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

He wont know he has a majority until after the election though will he? UKIP will get a lot of votes in Labour areas as well, don't worry about that. Lots of UKIP supporters have voted for both Lab and Con in the past, and Miliband wont want to risk them voting Con in the marginals because of the referendum.

So that's why I think, if UKIP do very well in the Euros/locals next month, Miliband will put a referendum in the manifesto. I bet it at 2/1 with Richard Nabavi yesterday

• Options
    edited April 2014

I am curious why you believe that Miliband will make and honour that promise, while a promise from Cameron already in existance counts for nothing.

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Miliband's referendum offer will be the same as Cameron's.. only if he gets a majority, and then campaign to stay in.

Neither would offer because they think its fair and democratic. They just want power and this is a way of helping secure it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Are UKIP standing in Northern Ireland in the Euros?

Answer: yes they are, for the first time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_(European_Parliament_constituency)#2014
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

@Danny

Indeed. Which is why I'm utterly perplexed by the Labour leadership obsessing about supposed "economic credibility" and thinking they need to posture about creating a budget "surplus" (a word people understand even less than "deficit") when that is very far from being the problem that's stopping more people from voting Labour.

In my experience, the main complaints about Labour are that they don't know what the party stands for either positively or negatively, that they think EdM is a bit of a joke and out of his depth, that Labour have forgotten about the working class and that they let too many immigrants in. (I also don't hear people complaining that they're "soft on welfare" all that much either, despite what the Westminster bubble have convinced themselves.)
  • Options
    Lennon said:

AndyJS said:

The bit I'm confused about it is how they count a 3 member ward - if you have voted Lab, Tory, Lib which pile do they put it in / make sure that it's not counted multiple times?
    At each election there's usually at least one case of serious mistakes being made with multi-member elections.

The BNP erroneously had a candidate elected about five years ago in Birmingham, and in 2010 there was a mistake in Walthamstow which wasn't noticed at the time:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/liberal-democrats-high-street-waltham-forest-recount-21044.html
  • Options
    Lennon said:

AndyJS said:

I think they mark down for each individual ballot (with 3 marks for candidates out of however many) on a spreadsheet style list, marking off in a column in voters 1-10 who for which 3 candidates on the rows, and tally the total? So you don't put the ballots in piles by party, you just tabulate which parties got which on a separate sheet?

• Options
    Danny565 said:

In my experience, the main complaints about Labour are that they don't know what the party stands for either positively or negatively, that they think EdM is a bit of a joke and out of his depth,

But that is precisely because the party doesn't have economic credibility, and that in turn stems ultimately from Gordon Brown's 'Labour investment versus Tory cuts' nonsense (which, to his credit, Peter Mandelson tried with limited success to squash). Having been dragged kicking and screaming into acknowledging the obvious - that you can't go on borrowing one pound for every three raised in taxation - they were then left with literally nothing to say, since if they did say anything they found themselves up against the dilemma that they agreed with spending cuts but opposed them.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    AndyJS said:

Andy, having done it several times for various elections let me assure you it loses its fascination.

There's an amusing scramble and elbow jostling amongst the partisans to get good position and desperately scribble notes on how the votes from each box break down.

Then some whispered visual reckoning on the size of the piles to reckon the result.

I remember in the '08 local elections I ended up in pontypool at a recount at about 4am (having started leafleting at 4am the morning before). Watching someone count votes it was all I could do to stay awake.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Danny565 said:

BobaFett said:

@Danny

Indeed. Which is why I'm utterly perplexed by the Labour leadership obsessing about supposed "economic credibility" and thinking they need to posture about creating a budget "surplus" (a word people understand even less than "deficit") when that is very far from being the problem that's stopping more people from voting Labour.

In my experience, the main complaints about Labour are that they don't know what the party stands for either positively or negatively, that they think EdM is a bit of a joke and out of his depth, that Labour have forgotten about the working class and that they let too many immigrants in. (I also don't hear people complaining that they're "soft on welfare" all that much either, despite what the Westminster bubble have convinced themselves.)
    Because the economic plans are aimed at the markets, not voters. Even the most popular government needs their backing if they want to borrow money
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2014

Have you spent the day hitting balls out of bounds at the Normanby Hall Golf Club, ar?

You seem very dyspeptic.

Let's look at those figures again.

This is what St. George said in his 2010 budget:

"As a result of the measures I will announce today, public sector net borrowing will be: £149 billion this year, falling to £116 billion next year, then £89 billion in 2012-13, and then £60 billion in 2013-14. By 2014-15 borrowing reaches £37 billion, exactly half the amount forecast in the March Budget."

Let's look at that 2010 forecast for 'PSNB ex' and compare it to actual outcomes as published in the latest Public Finances Bulletin from the ONS:
    Public Sector Net Borrowing          
    Forecasts vs. Outturns
    ------------------------------------------
    2010 Outturn Diff. Cum. Cum.
    £bn £bn £bn £bn %
    2009/10 157
    2010/11 149 139 -10 -10 -6.7%
    2011/12 116 118 +2 -8 -3.0%
    2012/13 89 81 -8 -16 -4.5%
    2013/14 60 96 +46 +30 +7.2%
    This looks like very accurate forecasting to me. Especially within the context and complexity of a national economy.

1. In three out of four years borrowing has come in under the original forecast.

2. The cumulative error after four years is 7.2% of forecast total borrowing for the period.

3. The overshoot only occurred in the fourth year of forecast.

Find me another Chancellor who has been more accurate over a four year forward forecast!

And what you are missing is the performance on real borrowing, i.e. performance against the net financing remit submitted to the DMO at each budget.

But I shall leave you to digest the above before giving away any more secrets.

This discussion has been closed.